Chelios becomes 45th Habs player enshrined in Hall of Fame

chrischelios

Canadiens defenceman Chris Chelios leans on Philadelphia Flyers goalie Ron Hextall in 1987 Montreal Forum action.
Denis Brodeur, NHLI via Getty Images

Superstar defenceman Chris Chelios on Tuesday joined fellow rearguard Scott Niedermayer and forward Brendan Shanahan in the Hockey Hall of Fame’s Class of 2013.

Chelios began his career in Montreal in 1983-84 at the age of 24 and was a member of the 1986 Stanley Cup champions. He would win two more Cups, with Detroit, and finally retire as a member of the Atlanta Thrashers at the age of 48 in 2009-10, having played 1,651 regular-season games.

The native of Chicago also joined late Philadelphia Flyers coach Fred Shero, a builder, and women’s pioneer Geraldine Heaney in this year’s group of inductees, who will be enshrined in November.

Chelios is the 45th Canadiens player to be inducted into the Hall, the first since Patrick Roy and Dick Duff were called in 2006. The Habs also have 10 builders in hockey’s temple.

Here’s a feature I wrote on then-Red Wing Chelios in 2008.

Below, courtesy of the Canadiens 2012-13 media guide, is a look at the Canadiens who have received hockey’s highest honour:

Habs-In-Hall

1. parkex says:

My favorite Hab ever. Giasou Christo!

2. twilighthours says:

New tread.

3. Mike D says:

*NEW THREAD * —–>

4. Mike D says:

So STL now has just under 13mil to sign Chris Stewart, Alex Pietrangelo, and Magnus Paarjavi.

Stewart will likely get around 5mil leaving them roughly 8mil to sign the other two. Depending on whether they give AP a Subban-like bridge contract they might still up against the cap.

5. Dunboyne Mike says:

You have to love “You Might Also Like”.

Haven’t noticed this one before:

“Blueline swap brings Kaberle in deal for Spacek.”

Kind of challenges our traditional understanding of the term “NEWS” media.

Quick, MB. Give Carey 8 mil per for 9 years or he’ll get away.

7. Habfan17 says:

TSN says the Rask deal is 7 years, it was reported on the team 1200 and on Sportsnet, it is 8 years, can’t these guys confirm their information before posting? 8 years makes more sense if you are the Bruins

Habfan17

Karl Alzner must have the worst agent in the NHL. He just signed his 2nd shitty contract in a row. Compare his new deal to that of Dmen like Gorges and Harmonic.

Then there’s Tuuka Rask. This guy better be the real deal or the Bruins are screwed.

9. Haborama says:

I can’t think of a GM in history who sat on his ass and did nothing for his team more than MB.

Other GM’s are making signings and pulling off trades, and all we get is extremely vague talk of “character” and “building through the draft.” I for one am sick and tired of all this do-nothing, hands-off methodology. Unless MB does something tangible, something REAL for this team, I think it would be time to look for a new GM.

10. NightRyder says:

I’l ask again and see if the gremlins don’t eat it.
    If we signed 569-year-old Jagr next year, because he’s over 35, his contract could be structured to roll bonuses onto the following year’s cap.
    Iginla, for example, could make $6M if the Bruins win the cup next year, but his base salary is only $1.8M. If they exceed this year’s cap, they can roll that extra money onto the cap when it goes up the following year.
    Thus, if Jagr had a one-year, $4M deal and $3M was bonuses, any of that over this year’s cap could be rolled over to next year?
    Sounds confusing, but it’s pretty simple.
    Question was: if we could get Jagr and it only counted $1M or so against this year’s cap, is it worth it?

• savethepuck says:

No it is not worth carrying money over to next year’s CAP because although it will most definitely go up, we will need a lot of room for PK’s new contract along with (assuming he continues to develop like last year ) Eller. I don’t want this team to get in a position that they are not able to give our RFA’s the raises they are entitled to. CAP management has to be concentrated on more than just the present.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

• 24 Cups says:

We just might need more cap space next year although the cap will surely go up. Why give Jagr a huge 4M deal? The guy is 41 and on his last legs. I’d low ball him. 2M, take it or leave it.

11. NightRyder says:

Where did my last two posts go? Boone, did you get icing on your keyboard again?

12. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Further to the Bs now being in the red on their cap….they also have 10 (ten!) players with some variation of a NTC

• Mike D says:

They’re in the red but not really. That number includes Savard’s contract and they will get relief from that since he’s on LTIR.

They actually have about 2.7mil in cap space and only need to sign one depth forward which will cost them 1mil max.

13. habzfan2003 says:

Don’t know how valid this is.. But Eklund claims that MTL is out on Jagr negotiations.

14. frontenac1 says:

Whitey goes to arb? So what? Plex did too. No big deal.

15. Roy_s_WINK says:

Re: Perron Trade

Roll out the “Shoulda/Coulda/Woulda” Committee 2013

Chaired by: Timo
    Vice President: Habitant In Surrey
    Secretary: Smart Dog

• HabFanSince72 says:

It seems the Blues wanted a younger cheaper forward to replace Perron. Who do we have that fits the bill?

Gallagher (would not trade him)
      Galchenyuk (would not trade him)
      Eller (would not trade him)
      Leblanc (unproven in NHL)
      White (yeah… right)

• Mike D says:

Impossible to speculate with any accuracy, but I wonder if Leblanc+Thomas+2nd would have been enough to get Perron.

• johnnylarue says:

Indeed!

I thought Perron had a reputation–at least earlier in his career–for being an inconsistent Kovalev-type. I guess he’s improved his stock since then, at least based on what I’ve been reading here.

(Admittedly, I haven’t seen him play much in recent seasons.)

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

Shoulda, woulda, coulda for Perron or Paajarvi?

I think the Blues win that deal hands down. Paajarvi is 6’3 and over 200lbs with tons of skill and played behind the Oilers other ‘big 3′. Still a lot of upside to him. I was hoping MB would make a play for him earlier this year when it seemed he was in play.

• Mike D says:

Paajarvi is already 22 though. Not old by any means and I agree he’s still developing, but it seems to be taking longer than it should’ve, especially considering the talent he was surrounded by in Edmonton.

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

(not saying he should’ve, just saying I thought Paajarvi was the more desirable player in the deal)

16. habs1992 says:

St Louis makes a trade, now which team is next? (I think I might know)

I support Carey Price
    “Habs Insider”

• Fransaskois says:

Permission granted to rumour-monger if it’s halfway credible. You will be stoned alive if you’re just spreading BS. Or you’ll be forced to try your hand at Battle of the Blades.

17. Mike D says:

WOW – Rask signs in Boston for 8 years, 56mil. 7mil cap hit.

18. frontenac1 says:

Huh? I’m a commie? No way amigo! Those commie doctors scare the piss out of me. They do weird shit with humans and animals out there in Siberia.

19. donmarco says:

I’m not sold on Paajarvi at all. Good trade for Edmonton. St Louis now has 13 million, but with 3 RFA’s to sign now, not just Stewart and FP. Paajarvi is an RFA too.

• coutNY says:

Not sold on Perron… St. Louis has money constraints that won’t allow them to spend to the cap ceiling, so getting a player like Paajarvi removed from a team full of one demential players could raise his production similar to Perrons at half the cost. It more importantly, affords them some extra cash to sign a Stewrat and Petrangilio.

20. bellcentre hotdog says:

Chris Chelios for Denis Savard … (wipes tear from eye) …

Other than the Roy trade I cannot think of a worse trade made by a Habs GM … although Gomez for Mcdonagh and Higgins still stings.

Chris Chelios was an awesome Hab.

21. Harditya says:

Renaud Lavoie ‏@RenLavoieRDS 1m
    Ryan White elected to go on arbitration. #RDS

• Sportfan says:

LOL WOW how much extra is he going to get like 5 000 more?

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• Mike D says:

I was JUST about to post that as well.

WTF could he possibly be thinking?!?!?! I’m sure the Habs offered the minimum 7.5% raise given his RFA status but why would he think he deserves more than that??? Am I missing something here?

• Mr. Biter says:

Just wondering if he’s tired of being MT whipping boy . If Habs refuse to go to arbitration what happens?

Mr. Biter
        No Guts No Glory

• Harditya says:

I thought he would re-sign for the same amount, but perhaps he sees his role diminishing with the addition of Prust last year and Parros this year. The Habs also drafted a big boy in McCarron, so perhaps he doesn’t see a big opportunity in Montreal for years to come, knowing he’s already in MT’s doghouse. Just an assumption though.

• Timo says:

I say it’s more Therrien thing. THerrien is a jerk.

• Mike D says:

If I’m not mistaken, the Habs have to give him a 7.5% raise if they want to re-sign him. While I could understand White’s concern about his place on our team with the concerns you mention, I’m sure he knows that he’s a fringe player. Usually guys like that don’t want to piss off the team they currently play for or get a reputation for wanting more $$ around the league for fear they won;t get to stay in the NHL.

I really don’t understand White’s motivation here.

• coutNY says:

good bye White, grew tired of your WT antics anyhow. Stupid penalties doesn’t outweigh the 4th line energy your getting in return… you lost your element of surprise.

What happens if the arbitrator gives he the league minimum contract as as award? The

• Harditya says:

Then he would be the loser in this case.. could have signed for more money without going to arbitration. But highly doubt he gets league minimum.

• coutNY says:

Cap goes down, minimum’s down, can’t say his contribution was better this year over the previous… it’s about a dumb as him opting for arbitration, But it actualality it was more of what I think he should be awarded as opposed to what he will get.

• Habfan17 says:

Time to trade him!

Habfan17

22. Mike D says:

I think that was a good move by Edmonton to acquire Perron for only Paajarvi and a 2nd. I see some on here saying the equivalent from us would have been Leblanc and a 2nd but I think Paajarvi would be ranked higher than LL.

Too bad…I was REALLY hoping the Habs would land Perron.

The CH stands for CHaracter…(apparently)

• Yeah, I’d guess closer to Tinordi and a 2nd.

• Mike D says:

I would actually rank Tinordi ahead of Paajarvi. MPS has more games played etc., but big Dmen like Tinordi take longer and people realize the value of a guy that size who actually has good hockey skills.

STL is fine on D so I think they wanted someone they could fit into their top 3 lines with some upside. If Leblanc hadn’t suffered his recent injuries/setbacks, then maybe. If he would have played in the NHL last year and put up similar points to MPS then I bet we could have made that move. Alas…

• Hobie Hansen says:

Paajarvi has had stretches of play where he’s looked like he’s going to be a good NHL player but has had longer stretches of being invisible.

Not sure why Perron wasn’t settled in St. Louis as there’s been talk of him moving out of there for around a year now? Anyway, I’m sure St. Louis is thinking they can get Paajarvi going. He’s a bigger body than Perron, was drafted higher and has loads of offensive talent.

• Mike D says:

I wonder if STL had concerns with his injuries and concussions and wanted to get value for him in case/before his stock dropped.

MPS was drafted higher but I’m not sure that’s as relevant as how they’ve developed since being drafted. Not to mention the 2007 draft was stronger than 2009.

23. C-Sword says:

Can the Habs afford Mason Raymond? The guy can skate his ass off and he’s not small.

24. johnnylarue says:

Perron to Edmonton!?

Just what the Oilers needed: another one-dimensional offensive forward.

• Mike D says:

Perron is VERY much a 2-way player and will be exactly what Edmonton needs. If he can put his injuries behind him he’ll be a star in this league.

They still need help on D and in goal, big-time, but Perron will help them do more than just score.

• coutNY says:

I wouldn’t go with VERY much a two-way player… he won’t be a difference maker IMO… especially with their D situation.

• Mike D says:

Edmonton’s porous defense and goaltending isn’t the fault of any forward though. No one forward on his own can make a substantial difference in that regard.

Perron did get quite a bit of time on the PK if I’m not mistaken so that makes him a 2-way forward in my books.

• donmarco says:

Great trade for Edmonton. Perron is the kind of leader they need and Paajarvi did pretty much nothing despite playing with some great talent.

25. habs1992 says:

I didn’t find out till today the Mac T killed a person, sad.

I support Carey Price
    “Habs Insider”

• Habcouver says:

Served jail time but can’t pay for the life taken due to drinking & driving. He’s fortunate to be given a second chance.

Waiting patiently for #25

26. Sportfan says:

I feel like the Oilers may have ripped off the Blues lol Paajarvi isn’t that fantastic yet.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• Fransaskois says:

He’s pretty well a bigger Leblanc at this point in his career. He’s still got a lot of upside but he’s yet to realize it. His hockey IQ will be what holds him back.

• The_Truth says:

Leblanc isn’t a good comparable to Paajarvi. Not the same class.

• Fransaskois says:

Strong defensive play, strong along the boards, haven’t realized offensive potential. Pajaarvi is physical-ability driven and Leblanc is IQ-driven. Paajarvi has higher upside if that’s what you’re referring to. Not a good comparable value-wise in a trade but a comparable in terms of current ability IMO.

• coutNY says:

Don’t have the same feelings… not that wow’d by Perron

27. Sportfan says:

WOW Edmonton got Perron…

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

28. mrhabby says:

i guess that shoots down the Pleks talk to St. Louis for now..lol

• habs1992 says:

Don’t say that so soon my friend

I support Carey Price
      “Habs Insider”

• coutNY says:

We would have lost big time if we traded Pleks for Perron, maybe insert DD instead….
      bright side there’s always Stewart… Polak… Petragiolo

• neumann103 says:

I heard about the trade on the radio and my first thought was “good, that kills the asinine Plekanec for Perron” trade hopes but really now it just moves on to a different “guy who is not as good as Plekanec but is somehow overvalued by some fans” candidate.

I really like Perron but I would worry about the concussions.

“Et le but!”

29. The Slacker says:

Wait a minute… all this talk about Morrow and cap hits is confusing. How much of a cap hit would he be and how many more hits can his knee caps take? Is his cap hit directly proportional to the cap hits which may hinder his performance? Wasn’t he the Captain of the stars? Was he a gritty, physical player who wasn’t afraid to bash into the opposing team? Did they call him Cap Hit?
    What does it all mean to Morrow??
    What does it all mean today!?

30. Habitant in Surrey says:

…solid additions to the Oilers since McTavish took over …he may prove a better GM than a coach

31. habs1992 says:

As many speculated St Louis Blues pull of a trade.

I support Carey Price
    “Habs Insider”

• The_Truth says:

It would have been nice to get him in Montreal, but i was covetting Stewart instead. Apparently, so were the Blues.

His injury problems were a concern and would have taken Eller and a 3rd probably.

I am still heartbroken at losing out on Bobby Ryan. Out of anyone who was realistically being shopped,. I have wanted that guy above anyone else for the past few years. I don’t think people realise Ryan is an elite goalscorer and how rare a player he is.

• JohninTruro says:

Pretty sure you called this

32. Fransaskois says:

Desperately wanted both Paajarvi and Perron. My heart’s broken. Oddest/most disappointing offseason since last year ;)

• coutNY says:

Being in St. Louis and watching Perron regularly he has never been the same after getting a concussion from big Joe… Sort of like D’Ago a few years back playing timid.

• Fransaskois says:

I watched several of STL’s games this year and didn’t totally get that vibe from him but I see where you’re coming from. Maybe it’s for the best, concussions are a risky business.

• Hali_Hab says:

I feel your pain. I have been a habs fan for 34 years. After this offseason I am seriously considering packing it in. I been through to many ” 5 year rebuilds” and all this talk of character and getting bigger. Which appears to just be BS. Same oll same oll in hab ville.

• Fransaskois says:

We’ll stay strong together, we can get through it. I just really don’t like seeing us either half-a**ing making a contending team or half-a**ing a rebuild. I’d like us to commit one way or another instead of getting stagnant and waiting for something to happen. I’m not usually so down, must be all of this beautiful Scottish weather I’ve been seeing.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Fran it’s been like Florida here in Ireland for about a week. Very weird, very nice.

• mrhabby says:

what beer are you drinking as you enjoy the nice sunsets over there..

• Fransaskois says:

I haven’t seen the sun in months and now I get ~30 degree weather thrown on me!? I’m not sure what’s causing it but, I swear my skin is getting darker the more time I spend out in the….sun? That’s the word, yes?

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Believe it or not, Molson Canadian — which just went on sale here this year — and Moosehead, suddenly reappeared after years, and an old favourite.

However, was out for a couple with a colleague last night — outdoors! normally unthinkable! — and was drinking pints of Smithwicks.

33. Mavid says:

Pre season schedule is out..Sept 15th that means only 66 days till hockey starts..we can do this

34. commandant says:

Blues trade Perron for Paajarvi and a pick.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

35. Luke says:

Oh this is not going to go over well…

36. Matt D’Agostini is now a Penguin. 1 year, $550k. Could be a real steal if he can regain his 21-goal form from 2010-11. Always liked that kid.

37. JF says:

RDS is announcing that St. Louis have traded David Perron to Edmonton. I’d hoped we could somehow land him.

38. lach60 says:

Just a follow up on the Dumont signing…

39. Dunboyne Mike says:

Congrats to Chelios. What a player. sigh.

If Shanahan moves to coaching, any chance there’s a role for Chelios in Player Safety??!!

Can you imagine?

40. Habitant in Surrey says:

…as this will be a long summer before hockey begins again, I thought a little game can be played among Ourselves to see which One of Us can identify the most communists within the HIO community

…first prize will be an escorted tour of the ‘red zones’ in Calgary provided by Our own commissar Timo

…to help You identify what a ‘communist’ is I provide a helpful video reference of what signs to look for among HIO’s commentariat

…the game begins now !

41. T-roy West says:

For all those who are speculating, McCarron has decided to start his journey with the London Knights.

42. Habfan17 says:

How about signing Damien Brunner, he is swiss and 5’11″, which seems to be a prerequisite to signing in Montreal…lol His first season he had 26 points in 44 games and he is 27. Just joking…the Habs have enough players like him in the system.

Habfan17

• The_Truth says:

In a different situation I would have loved Brunner over Briere for 2 seasons or even over Gionta. I really liked what I saw from him last season. As you said, we have a guy like Colberg coming soon, so no need for Brunner at 3 million.

We have enough centers as well (of his mold), and I don’t know if he plays the wing.

43. habstrinifan says:

For those who missed it.. new contract for Dumont.. two way I think.

44. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Totally not opposed to the idea of Morrow signing with the Habs, but of course…term and price, term and price.

Two years at the absolute max and no more than 3 million — brings a bit of grit and leadership, give the kids some more time to develop. That I’m fine with.

Seems like that was MB’s rationale with the Briere signing — short term while the younger guys further develop.

As for his nosedive in the playoffs….think that hat can be hung on a lot of Penguins, so I’m not too worried about it.

• veryhabby says:

Ghost…we only have $4M cap space and still need to sign White, and have some cap space going into the season. Any UFA signing will be at $1M, so forget Morrow.

• BJ says:

Who would you like to see traded that is taking too much cap space for the return?

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

Ryan White will be about 1 million….leaves 3 for Morrow.

Only reason I’m commented on it is because according to Carbonneau (reported by the fourth period and sportsnet) the two are talking. If it was out of the question, I doubt they’d have gotten this far.

45. BJ says:

Anyone for Douglas Murray at the right price? I’m surprised he’s still out there. We could certainly use him as a 5-6 D. Also anyone else on this list that could make us better?

• HabFanSince72 says:

Pylon.

• BJ says:

But he can clear the crease which cost us last year.

• HabFanSince72 says:

I believe this is a myth. What cost us the most defensively in the playoffs (during the regular season we finished 2nd overall so presumably we did OK), other than our keeper letting in long range shots, was an inability to move the puck out of our zone. Go back and look at the key goals scored by the Sens. They are all on youtube.

• BJ says:

Perhaps you are right. I still paid attention to him during the playoffs watching the Pens games, I liked what I saw. He positions himself well, wins board battles, clears the crease area and gets the puck out of the zone. He makes up for lack of speed with those assets. He would be an upgrade on Bouillon, Drewiske and Gorges.

• Bob_Sacamano says:

Thank you! The defensive zone coverage also sucked in the second part of the season at times. Often due to mistakes our forwards made. I certainly would welcome another player like Emelin but a lot of guys always talk like 80% of the goals we conceded were rebounds because we just couldn´t clear the crease. That´s just wrong.

When it comes to Murray: No thanks. Yes, he can hit but when it comes to puck moving skills and stuff like that, he´s just not good. Not at all.

• mrhabby says:

slow as mollasesssssss.

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

Brad Boyes has had a bit of a quiet resurgence…big body too.

• The Good Hab-bit says:

Dougie for sure but otherwise John Scott!

46. Habilis says:

Leafs development camp is on right now, Kevin McGran (Leaf writer) is tweeting about it:

“Kevin McGran ‏@kevin_mcgran
    Distinct lack of creativity here. Nerves? (Josh Leivo the exception)”

“Kevin McGran ‏@kevin_mcgran
    A lot of hits, though. A ton of, dare I say it, truculence.”

Ha! Good old Laffs. All brawn and not a hockey player among them. ;)

• The_Truth says:

Maybe in their camp right now, but their big club is plenty skilled.

Kessel-Kadri-Lupul
      JVR-Bozak-Clarkson
      Kulemin-McClement-Bolland
      McKlaren-Colbourne-Orr

Not too shabby and a great mix of brawn and skill

• bel33 says:

Hate to admit it… but their 3rd and 4th lines are going to be hell to play against. ‘Cause you know that both McLaren and Orr will be dressed against the habs, and Bolland and Kulemin are both super pesty.

47. secretdragonfly says:

On the subject of former Habs, he’ll never get to the Hall of Fame but good luck to Dags anyway. Sounds like a good opportunity for him.

48. fastfreddy says:

Did I read correctly yesterday on this site that the Habs traded Louis Leblanc, or was that just some source talk?

CH = Les Glorieux!!!

49. Strummer says:

What did Brendan Morrow do with the Pens down the stretch and in the playoffs that makes him desirable here?

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• Ozmodiar says:

15 GP, 14 Pts down the stretch with Pitt. Pretty good.

And plus 5, I was going to put that down as well, but assumed Strummer didn’t want to hear it.

• Strummer says:

Lets see- pretty good down the stretch, invisible in playoffs-
          sounds like he’d fit right in on the Habs. Sign him!

______________________________________________________
          “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

So then why not just say you have no interest in him, why ask?

• Strummer says:

??????

______________________________________________________
            “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• Strummer says:

Invisible in playoffs 4 pts. in 14 games.

______________________________________________________
        “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• Ozmodiar says:

Fractured knee cap, no?

In any event, it doesn’t take away from what he did in the regular season. He really stepped up his game with Crosby out. That might interest a team.

• Strummer says:

depending on the cap hit and who needs to move to make room for him he could be useful
            Sounds like he would have been a better pick-up than Briere.

______________________________________________________
            “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• Ozmodiar says:

DD? :)

I don’t like the idea of Briere or DD playing on the wing.

• boing007 says:

Just about every player on the Penguins was invisible against the Bruins. The Invisible Penguins.

Richard R

Off ice or on ice?

• The_Truth says:

He isn’t an impact player like he once was, but is a good depth signing for the 3rd line, if Gionta isn’t ready. He brings a lot more to the table than Moen or White.

You need these depth signings in a long season and there is nobody on the farm to come up, in case of injury, and do what he can do. It’s better than Blunden.

If Gionta isn’t ready

Patches-DD-Gallagher
      Bourque-Pleks-Briere
      Morrow-Eller-Galchenyuk
      Prust-Dumont-Parros

Moen/White

50. rhino514 says:

The failure to get a real good UFA gives some food for thought on speculation montreal may not be first choice for most players. I don´t think we are at the bottom of the list but we aren´t at the top of the list either. Briere may have one more decent season left and it´s cool that he´s from here, but there were, and still are a few guys out there who would help us out more.
    To me, it makes MB´s acquisition of Prust last year even more impressive; a real tough guy who can also do some things offensively. Kudos for that move.
    I think we do have a chance to land the odd good player via trade, though, we have a nice crop of prospects coming up and some guys on the team with trade value who are replaceable.

• Strummer says:

Prust was another example of the Habs overpaying to attract free agents.
      Similar situation in 2009 during Smurf-a-palooza.
      I think Prust’s girlfriend being a Montrealer was the clincher

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• Luke says:

I don’t think there were any real good UFAs this year.

Briere is right at the top of this year’s bunch.
      Clarkson’s the marquee name, and he’s a 29-yr old that has scored more than 20 goals ONCE in his career, and he got 7 years at 5.2mil. He’s a solid player, but that’s a lot to pay him I think. Unfortunatelty, It won’t cripple the Leafs cap.

I don’t recall who said it, but Clarkson is a third line talent with top line effort.

• mrhabby says:

maybe if the habs were a team that competes hard and goes deep into the playoffs every year it might make a difference in adding top notch UFA’S..Winning Teams draw great players.

51. commandant says:

As McCarron is set to make his decision between the London Knights and NCAA… a look at what each path means for players in his situation.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

• habs1992 says:

I can CONFIRM he has chosen the London Knights.

I support Carey Price
      “Habs Insider”

• T-roy West says:

He has already made his decision… 100% London!!

• B says:

A good article, thanks!

Why does the NCAA make anyone who plays a single CHL game ineligible? Is there a sensible reason or are they just being dicks to try and force more players into their system (and punish those who don’t or may not opt for the NCAA)?

Why shouldn’t a hot shot young kid play a season or two in the CHL before being old enough to have finished high school and then attend an NCAA school if he wants to go that route? What harm would that do the the NCAA?

–Go Habs Go!–

• Un Canadien errant says:

It does have a bit of a competitive component for them, but the main reason is that it was established when the antiquated notions of the amateur athlete were prevalent. Junior players get paid a stipend, so that disqualifies them from NCAA competition.

Note that CHL players who want to go to US Colleges with NCAA programs are allowed to, but they can’t participate in competitive athletics.

What is weird though, is you can have been a pro baseball player, for example, and return to play NCAA football, since they are different sports, and you’re not tainted by the pro angle. Ridiculous, but that’s how they run it.

52. ratboy1968 says:

The story cites Chelios as the 45th member of the Canadiens to be inducted to the Hockey Hall of Fame. What about Doug Gilmour? HHOF class of 2011 and last time I checked, a member of the Habs for 2 years. Besides, I see Denis Savard listed here. If he is listed, Gilmour deserves to be listed as well.

53. H.Upmann says:

I’m at Pearson airport waiting for my flight to Timo land… Wonder if I should pick some duty free eau De toilette for him at the gift shop..

54. Mattyleg says:

Fifth!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

55. Hobie Hansen says:

So what’s the story with Mason Raymond? Is he hurt? Does he have off ice issues? Are he and his agent asking for a boatload of money?

He seemed to get his health back on track last year after being injured off and on the two previous. He looks like a guy who can score 20 goals, he had 25 in 2010/11. He’s not big and tough but at least he’s 6 feet tall.

Barring any unknown issues with this guy, I’d have rather signed him for 2 or 3 years over Briere.

• ProHabs says:

Simple. He is not French.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Now you’re just being lazy. You want to know the story on Mason Raymond, just watch a few games he played in the last couple of seasons, courtesy of the HNIC video on cbc.ca.

Or, visit any Vancouver Canucks fans boards and see what they think of Mr. Raymond.

Or, understand that Mike Gillis said he wanted the team to be younger and tougher, which is roughly what Marc Bergevin wants, but let Mason Raymond go to UFA.

I know he’s got name recognition, but Mason Raymond is not a cure for what ails us. As I’ve said before, think of him as a marginally more talented Aaron Palushaj.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Yes I was being lazy ;-). However, I wasn’t talking like he was some star player who I wanted badly. he’s Just a 2nd or 3rd line winger who’s a heck of a lot younger than Briere and probably just as good as Briere at this point.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Still no. I enjoy watching the Canucks, love some of their players, but Mason brings nothing to the table.

• Hobie Hansen says:

That’s why I asked the question to get an opinion like yours :-). The reason being, I never watch the Canucks, intentionally.

Something about the team, the fans that just makes me want to see them lose.

• The Chicoutimi Cucumber says:

Living in Van, I see Raymond play a fair bit. He has wheels and little else. Small, soft and only marginally productive for a top-6 player – what do we need that for?

Briere is breaking down and may be totally over the hill, BUT if he has something left in the tank then he is a much better acquisition than Raymond would be.

56. jimmy shaker says:

This team will make the playoffs and have a really good regular season, they will be top 5 again in goals for have a top 7 pp but once again the pk will struggle because the D can’t clear the crease……and if Price doesn’t get his head out of his arce and start living up to this potential most people speak of on here, they will have another early exit in the springtime dance.

Shaker

57. habs11s says:

Sens @ Canucks for the ‘Heritage Classic’ at BC Place on March 2nd, 2014- CONFIRMED…

_____________________________________________________________