Châteauguay cheering for Blackhawks’ Crawford

There are a lot of people in Montreal cheering for Chicago Blackhawks goalie Corey Crawford in the Stanley Cup final.

Crawford grew up in Châteauguay, on the South Shore of Montreal, and graduated from Howard S. Billings High School. Bryan Pitts, who has been a phys-ed teacher at Howard S. Billings for 22 years, including 18 as the hockey coach, thought Crawford had National Hockey League potential even at the high-school level.

“Absolutely,” told Gazette sports editor Stu Cowan. “There was something special about him. He was that good.

“Even when we were coaching him back then, when they scored on him … if they scored on him … it didn’t bother him, didn’t faze him, just like today,” Pitts added. “He had all the technique, all the talent in the world. He was just head’s above anybody else we had seen in high school. We always said he’s going to make it pro somewhere … whether it’s the NHL or the American Hockey League … we knew he was on his way at that age, for sure.”

Pitts also has a message for his former student and goaltender:

1. frontenac1 says:

Benny? Oy-yoi-yoi!!! Boullette Cannon!

2. Adidess says:

I can’t help but think back to something Benoit Brunet said last year, in the middle of the contract standoff between Bergevin and PK’s camp.

He said, PK is too big a personality, too cocky a player to have him walk into this dressing room with a large contract in his pocket, after holding out.

Well, guess what, he’s walking into the dressing room this year with a Norris Trophy under his belt and the heftiest contract imaginable coming up. Take that whoever was thinking that acknowledging Subban’s talent and validating it with a nice contract last year would have been a problem!

3. Harditya says:

It’s been such a LONG, LONG time since a Canadiens player won an award. Growing up I always used to think how much none of the Habs players ever get nominated for an award. Thank you Subban! Hoping you’re a Hab forever and win the cup here! And thank you Gally!

4. Sportfan says:

Congrats to PK Subban on winning the Norris Trophy you deserved it !
    Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

5. Sportfan says:

Tavares was ripped off he played amazingly all season long Ovie had a humongous cold streak

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

6. frontenac1 says:

Viva Pk! Viva Tequilla! Viva La Revolucion! Los Habs Para Siempre!!

7. Savardian Spin-o-rama says:

Does Ovie not give a turd or what?

8. HabFab says:

Brady Vail invited to the Team USA WJC summer camp.

9. Psycho29 says:

….and Nick Kypreos breathed a sigh of relief!

10. Savardian Spin-o-rama says:

Atta boy PK! Man,we are lucky to have him or what? Ditto Gally. Two thoroughly likeable and well-spoken young men.

11. Naslund110 says:

Gally tied for first place Calder votes they said it was extremely close

12. neumann103 says:

LOVED PK Subban’s Norris speech.

Thanked everybody except Bergevin and Therrien

“Et le but!”

• boing007 says:

Bravo PK. The first of many more Norris trophies for your mantelpiece.

Richard R

• Naslund110 says:

he thanked management

• neumann103 says:

He thanked the organization.
        He singled out ownership by name: Molson and Andlauer (twice once for the ‘dogs).
        His Bulldogs coach and assistant coaches by name.
        His junior coach by name.
        His personal trainers and skating coaches by name.

That was a planned speech.

No way leaving out Bergevin and Therrien by name was an oversight, it was a subtle message.

“Et le but!”

13. Cal says:

PK! PK! PK!

Woooooooot! Wooooooooooot!

PS: I notice he was in the NBC booth and not with that knob, PJ Depends.

14. habs-fan-84 says:

Subban; what a beauty!

15. Naslund110 says:

Congrats PK. woohoo

16. HabFab says:

PK rocks!!

17. Sportfan says:

Whcich Canadian team will break the 20 year drought? Montreal of course! We started it :P

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

18. Savardian Spin-o-rama says:

Sports = entertainment, right? So who’s the most entertaining player in the NHL today? Ovie? Kane? Sid? What about past players? The Rocket (never saw him so not on my list)?, Lafleur?, Perreault, Orr? Tell us what you think.

• habstrinifan says:

Lafleur for me then Orr then Perreault. I think you can add Subban to your present day list.

• Savardian Spin-o-rama says:

Completely on board with your choice of Subbie. Another guy I really liked from yesteryear is Bobby Hull. He was a bit before my time. My dad (also a Habs fan) used to rave about him and Howe. I didn’t really get to a chance to see Hull in action until the 76 Canada Cup. Wow! He, Orr, and Perreault were lights out. All hockey fans should get the series on DVD. I did and was blown away with the quality of the play. Sure, today’s game is faster but the skill and artistry on display back then is something to behold.

19. habstrinifan says:

tsn.ca is reporting that Shanahan may be going to Calgary to head up hockey operations.

20. frontenac1 says:

@Hab in surrey. The musical Village! I’m an old Lery Lad! Played Bantam Hockey for West-End in the late 60″s. Saludos!

21. habstrinifan says:

Hate to be antagonistic but I can’t understand any fan who says that they would rather any HAB not win one of the awards as it would mean that HABS will have to pay that player more. I really cant support this sort of ‘frugality’. I long for the day when we again look at the HABS and see real superstars on the team.. acknowledged by all the hockey world.

So what if MB/Molson etc have to work harder to keep them in Mtl.

• Adidess says:

I agree Trini. Can’t quite follow this line of reasoning…

You don’t want any player on the team you love to be recognized as elite across the league because Habs owners might have to spend more to keep them? Some people really think it’s their money Molson is spending.

OK, it is your money in the sense that you spend tons of dough on Habs merchandizing every week in addition to going to games. You’re a s****r who cheers for a sports team, sorry to burst your bubble. Two things you should know. 1) Check your bank account during the season, you will see no withdrawals made on the basis of Josh Gorges cashing his paycheck. 2) Whether Molson pays DD more money or not, none of those dollars you spend are coming back to you.

How about the salary cap, you say? Well, that’s MB’s job to manage. I want to see the players do well on the ice and be recognized for their achievements. But I also understand I relate more easily to players maybe because I could be one, if I had talent. I could not be an NHL team owner, at least not at this point in my professional life. Maybe that’s where our perspectives differ.

22. Habitant in Surrey says:

…Vigneault taking over with the Rangers means they no longer will be Our patsies …Our division will be tough

23. Habitant in Surrey says:

…purchased My first home in Chateauguay back in the early 70s …on the corner of Brahms and some other composer (I think Liszt)

…for $ 15, 600 !

…corner lot, 2 car garage

…try buying an outhouse in the middle of a farmer’s field today for $ 15. 000 :)

24. Hope MB has had a discussion with all NTC contracts before the draft in poossible trades? Looking forward to it and see if there will be any trades involving Habs rooster from last season. Players that could be move are Plekanec, Gionta, Markov that would bring key pieces back in return that will make a difference. Just have to wait and see what will unfold in coming weeks.

25. Bruins been getting alot of non calls in these playoffs. Slew foot Marchand has been a pest. Chara is a beast and is never called for a penalty unless its has to be called. Makes me sick.

26. habstrinifan says:

May not be as significant as it seems, but against all odds and without the upheaval seen in other countries in the area, Iran has elected a definitely moderate President. One of the most hated ‘regimes’ seems to be on the road to real shakeup.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…don’t be too hopeful Trin, the real power is still with the Ayatollah and Republican Guard

…they will not allow Rohani go too far off-message …nor will it alter their intent to nuclearize

• habstrinifan says:

Quite possibly 100% true, but it was a surprise that a ‘reformer’ was elected. Hopeful for the people themselves…especially the women.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…the younger generation want change and more openness to the west …but the clergy is another story

…but like you infer, it is a hopeful development relative to the last few decades

• Sean Bonjovi says:

The Iranian people probably would have elected someone even more “moderate”, but all potential candidates need to be approved by the religious leaders to actually get their names on the ballot.

• HabFab says:

Have had reformer Presidents before…question is define “reformist”. Our perspective or theirs?

• Thomas Le Fan says:

Handpicked to run by the regime’s leader? Moderate? Here’s how it works. The extremists want to kill us, the moderates … want the extremists to kill us.

There is no crying in baseball, “i” in team or “chuck” in Galchenyuk.

27. Bruins got nothing to lose in Nathan Horton. Horton will be let go at seasons end. His injury will be a concern in off season. Horton will be a risk once he has shoulder surgery. Hawks should lay the body to him at every opportunity. More damage to his shoulder could have an affect to his play and career.

28. frontenac1 says:

@piper. Jr. Butch was a great heavyweight, loved the way he and Big Bird destroyed the Broadstreet Bullies. Saludos amigo!

29. JF says:

Vigneault to coach the Rangers per RDS.

30. frontenac1 says:

@piper. I remember it well. Bouchard did say ,in an interview later that Stan got in a shot right on the button ,which broke his nose and his eyes watered up so much that he couldn’t see a thing. Then it was done for him. Sittin”duck.

• piper says:

Yep, I remember him saying that too. When the nose gets broke and if the eyes water up your done.
      I also remember Dave Schultz saying that the only time he was ever scared in a fight was against Bouchard. He hit that hard.

31. frontenac1 says:

Brodin? Really?

32. frontenac1 says:

@HH. Re/Jonathan. Agreed amigo. That way he destroyed Bouchard sold me on him.

• piper says:

That was a sad day as big Pierre was a fave of mine. But I think a lot of the damage was done after Bouchard went down as the linesmen got on top of him (probably trying to protect him) and Stan was still able to feed him punches. His face was a mess.

33. frontenac1 says:

@piper. Ha! Good point amigo.

BTW. I voted for Clod Julie-end. He is the best Money All Candy Ends ex-coach on that list.

35. hab fan in leaf jungle says:

With this kid in Chateauguy, who did the Habs draft in the 2nd round in 2003? Timmins has GOT to be fired. He is a total incompetent. The Habs have Price the ‘thoroughbred’ while the Hawks take a diamond from the Habs backyard and will most likely win their 2nd Cup because of him. Meantime Price needs a new coach just to show him how to stop a beach ball and in a few years work him up to stopping a puck.

• Psycho29 says:

Yawnnn…

Still pissed about your Laffs blowing a 3 goal lead with 11 minutes to go in Game-7 ???

• hab fan in leaf jungle says:

Actually I am a former Montrealer and still a Hab fan. I left in 1970 after the FLQ crap and came to Toronto. I love the Habs franchise but hate this edition and most of the previous ones since 1989. What happened to Hab fans demanding the best from the ownership? Instead they allow themselves to be fooled by these 4th liners and career minor leaguers wearing that sacred jersey and cheering just because they see that jersey. These guys on the team are frauds and even the media lack the guts and brains to call them out. So sad!

• Chris says:

As much as it pains me to fact-check a good rant, Antti Niemi was the goaltender in the Blackhawks last Stanley Cup winning season, not Corey Crawford. The much-maligned Cristobal Huet was the backup that season, while Crawford spent all but one season in the AHL.

Crawford did not become a full time starter in the NHL until he was almost 26 years old. Carey Price is turning 26 this August.

• hab fan in leaf jungle says:

I knew Niemi was in net. My rant was a bit ambiguous. I meant they get a second Cup with him in net for the 2nd Cup. Don’t for a minute think that Price will blossom into Crawford. He couldn’t carry Crawford’s jock strap. Price is a fraud and now that he has his big contract he has turned into Gomez. Most of today’s athletes, especially the ones that the Habs draft on Timmins’ advice, turn into Gomezes(?) after their big contracts. There are few Getzlafs and Parises and Girouxs with integrity but Timmins decided to pass on them and draft AK46, David Fischer, Mac Bennett et al.

36. frontenac1 says:

Go Hawks! Go Crawford! Go Chateauguay!

37. Fransaskois says:

@ UCE

If you don’t think you could handle Clutterbuck, you won’t be happy with Beach. Clutterbuck is a team guy, Beach is far from it. Clutterbuck will lay the big hit, sometimes dangerously, but he doesn’t go out of his way to hurt people. Not many hooks, slashes, or cheap shots that I can recall, not a dirty player. Beach plays for himself and is not really the type of character or team player that Bergevin would want to bring into the lineup. Minnesota’s right at the cap and they have players like Clutterbuck in abundance in their system. He’s an extra in Minnesota whereas he’d be an impact player in MTL. For what it’s worth, he also speaks French.

Also, not a fan of Prust or Beach getting time in a top-6 capacity. That’s a big downgrade any way you look at it. I’m not necessarily interested in competing now but I’m also not really interested in just handing the team over to un-skilled vets and unproven rookies. Prust doesn’t belong past the 3rd line. It’d be similar to Moen on our 1st, despite my love for Prust as a player and as a leader.

Christ Stewart is something we don’t have in Montreal. On our current team or anywhere in our organization. He’s capable of putting up 60pts and being a heavyweight presence on our team. Our team-strategy would really play to his strengths and I think he’d be a real impact player on our team. He’s a very good team guy and has an excellent off-ice work ethic, unlike his brother Anthony. That being said, he really struggles with consistency and always using his frame. The 2nd would be #47, potential players would be M-O Roy, Diaby, Jarry, Desrosier, De La Rose, Subban, Duclair, Dauphin, Poirier, Lehkonen, Dickinson, Heatherington, Santini etc.

38. jedimyrmidon says:

Looks like Jonathan Huberdeau won the Calder.

Was hoping Gallagher would win because of 1) the way he plays and 2) his impact on the team.

The Habs are sorely needing more of Gallagher’s type of determination, heart and tenacity. Even as a rookie, he is an example to his teammates and to other players. He was also only 3 points in scoring behind Huberdeau.

Huberdeau was basically gifted 1st line development minutes because he was on a poor team. Also, it’s hard to gauge what impact he had on his team because they still finished last in the NHL. Looking atlast year’s Calder winner, Landeskog won because of his mature play and leadership at such a young age (as evidenced by being named captain).

Beyond his 31pts, I don’t see why Huberdeau would be more deserving of the Calder than Gallagher. What did he else did he do?

• The Jackal says:

Are you serious?
      Huberdeau won? That is complete bull spit!

Gally had a way bigger impact on his team, which made the playoffs and improved from 15th to 2nd! He earned his icetime in contrast to, as you said, Huberdeau being gifted first line minutes on one of the worst teams in the league. What a crock. I hope this information is wrong, because Gally was the best rookie during the regular season.

______________________
      Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• Fransaskois says:

Tried watching a Florida game this year, it was horrible. However, Huberdeau was literally that entire team’s offence. I don’t necessarily agree with the decision but, from a non-biased perspective, I can see why he’d get it.

• The Jackal says:

He is certainly a good player, no doubt about that. But Gally impressed more than he did, and correct me if I am wrong, but I think Huberdeau had a taste of the NHL last year and already had experience against players at that level in other arenas and even in the AHL. Gally came in from junior, made the team, and was an impact player on a Habs team with established veterans like Pacs and Pleks.

______________________
          Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• mksness says:

well the real question here is would you trade huberdeau for gally straight up? i would in a heartbeat, don’t think florida would. huberdeau is a much more skilled player who produced with just about nothing around him. there were a lot of good rookies this year from yaks to chucky who weren’t even nominated. i’m not angry about him not winning though.

• neumann103 says:

I have a recent and almost surely coincidental record on Calder Trophy winners. before the start of the season I predicted Huberdeau, and I selected him with a reasonably high pick in one of my two hockey pools. I also picked Gallagher and Galchenyuk in respective pools, although in each case using my last pick, and mainly just as a homer hoping they would stck with the team and have some impact.

The previous year I had done similar with Gabriel Landeskog and Diaz and Emelin.

Of course my track record is some muted by the fact that I expected Huberdeau’s closest competition to come from Mikael Granlund.

So if I had a vote, I would pick Gallagher, but part of that is being a Habs fan and part is just having seen so much of him. The Panthers went nowhere, but Huberdeau did carry them more than Gallagher carried the Habs. I can totally see Huberdeau winning and there have been very few points over the whole season that i did not expect he was the odds on favourite to win.

“Et le but!”

• hab fan in leaf jungle says:

Gally was a 5th rounder and Huberdeau a top 5. Need I say more?

• Saintpatrick33 says:

How do you know this? These awards are the worst kept secret how many winners were leaked lol?

• neumann103 says:

Because of the lockout, they are not having the big ceremony in vegas between the Cup Final and the draft. They are having this pre-game show in Chicago.

The winners are either travelling to Chicago, linked via satellite or doing pre-taped acceptance speeches. A bunch of those plans have been leaked. Apparently Huberdeau arrived in Chicago yesterday.

I think that the Hart trophy is the only one where I did not see some type of logistics leak that telegraphed the winner, although apparently Ovechkin may be warming up the satellite dish.

“Et le but!”

• Chris says:

Among Huberdeau, Saad, Galchenyuk, and Gallagher, you could draw straws in terms of performance and impact.

The best rookie, if we want to talk impact, was Jonas Brodin and he wasn’t even nominated. So I wouldn’t put too much stock in the whole process.

• Landof10000lakesHab says:

Agreed – Brodin by a country mile.

Huberdeau, Galchenyuk, and Brodin will be future NHL stars.

However, the best of the bunch may turn out to be Dougie Hamilton who should be the new Chara of the NHL.

• jedimyrmidon says:

Hamilton is known as an offensive Dman with size, a rare combination. Whether or not he becomes a defensive stalwart remains to be seen.

Personally, I have very, very high hopes for Galchenyuk as it seems like he’s just a guy with very few fundamental weaknesses and many talents coupled with a strong work ethic.

39. Saintpatrick33 says:

Anyone else happy that there is no cheesy NHL awards show? Straight and to the point. No Ron Maclean and his stupid puns, no token celebrity Canadian, no Nickelback and no unintelligible speeches. They should do it like this every year. Good luck to Gally and Subban!

40. Un Canadien errant says:

In other news, Justin Bieber still looked ridiculous last night.

How long before this kid has the Britney Spears-Lindsay Lohan-McCauley Culkin meltdown? Poor guy, lives his childhood in this crazy bubble, thinks it’s all about him, only thing he can think of Anne Frank is that she’d have been a fan of his. Doesn’t look good. If he had a normal childhood, he’d have taken a couple of beatings in school or at the rink, figured out that there are boundaries.

• habsfan0 says:

However, I do believe he is a San Diego Chargers fan.

• The Jackal says:

Yeah I wish child stars took the path of Joseph Gordon Levitt rather than the Lohan or Bieber path.

When he matures he will have a lot of tattoos he will regret, on top of his other choices.

______________________
      Hockey sine stercore tauri.

41. johnnylarue says:

Holy crap–just read Andrew Shaw’s stats: is the kid really only 5’10” and 180lbs?? He obviously plays big, but he also looks considerably bigger than those measurements would imply.

Enough to cause a major identity crisis in some of the more avid smurf-haters on this site…

• The Jackal says:

Well, some players may have certain sizes but may be stronger in some respects that allows them to play “big.” Like St.Louis, he is small but is clearly very strong, same with Gio. I’m guessing Shaw’s height (5’10 is not short) helps him while still retaining a lower centre of gravity that probably compliments his lower body strength.

But yeah, as you said, playing big does not always come down to being big. See: Gorges, Josh.

______________________
      Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• neumann103 says:

Yes, but it is a constant theme here and elsewhere in the internet hockey “expert” community that:

1. Size has an outsized value vs skill, strength, potential and mental factors.
        2. 5′ 11″ and 196 pounds is a smurf and 6’1″ and 203 pounds is “big” and you ought to make decisions about players on those small differences.

Sure, all things being equal I would take a guy 6’3″ and 220 over someone 5’7″ and 165, but things are rarely equal.

Yes you can make the case that there is a limit to how many smaller guys you can carry at once. It is actually a challenge when you are trying to fit all of Gionta, Gallagher and Desharnais into your top 6.

I am not talking about extremes. It is a testament to his skill and heart that Brian Gionta can even play in the NHL at his size. Martin St Louis is an example of a player with so much skill that he could be elite even at (a generously described) 5’8″. But look at what that got him? Undrafted.

What I am saying is twofold:
        1. If there are players like Brendan Gallagher or Charles Hudon sitting around in the fifth round almost purely on size, for the love of god take them.
        2. Two inches and seven pounds does not turn a smurf into a titan and the amount of consideration that those differences should receive is minimal.

“Et le but!”

• piper says:

The thing with Shaw is he doesnt get pushed around. If he gets knocked on his ass he gets back up and knocks someone else down. Kid can throw them pretty good too and he’s fearless. I think he’s a lot like Gally but I haven’t seen Gally fight as much.

• HardHabits says:

Stan Jonathan. Height 5.08 — Weight 175

Possibly the best fightinest mofo to lace them up. Certainly pound for pound the toughest and strongest player.

42. daveho29 says:

Beautiful day here in Squamish( home of Dalton Thrower), Riding a 67km mountain bike race, Wearing my
    Habs cycling jersey that I bought specifically for this race.

Hoping it brings good luck, Last year I didn’t finish, much like the Habs season,didn’t go well. I’m do for a turn around, Much like the Habs season this year. :)

43. Un Canadien errant says:

Beach-Plekanec-Gionta
    Pacioretty-Desharnais-Bourque
    Galchenyuk-Eller-Gallagher
    Moen-Hendricks-Prust

Rupp-

Markov-Schultz
    Gorges-Subban
    Bouillon-Diaz

Drewiske-
    (injured-Emelin)

Note:

1) We need another forward to start the season with. If we want to keep sizing up, Anthony Stewart is always intriguing, and a Lasalle native. Maxim Lapierre is effective in a third or fourth line role, and can move up the lineup in emergency situations.

2) We’re comfortable with callups in Hamilton like Mike Blunden, Gabriel Dumont and Louis Leblanc for short-term injury relief. Danny Kristo gets a shot at a Top 6 role if he’s doing well and someone is injured, but doesn’t stay up if he’s not adapting well, or as soon as the injured player is ready to play again, then he gets sent down.

3) On defence, I keep Jarred Tinordi in Hamilton to start the year at least, so we may want to sign another plug to be the #7-8 defenceman, someone like Ryan O’Byrne or Ben Lovejoy. As injuries occur, or if Jarred Tinordi is showing he’s dominant in the AHL and ready to go, we can call him up.

• Fransaskois says:

Kyle Beach can’t cut it in the AHL, don’t think he can cut it on our top line. Not opposed to taking a flyer on him but I think your opinion of him is a little high. From what I’ve heard and remember watching, Schultz doesn’t use his size, similar to Hal Gill in some ways.

The most interesting proposal I’ve seen around the internet lately has been Plekanec for C.Stewart+2nd. Eller seems quite capable of filling his spot on a shutdown line and many 3/4th liners (Prust, B.Gordon etc) can quite easily fill his spot on the PK or in a shutdown capacity. It would just mean our team is structured a little differently.

Pascal Clutterbuck would be a guy I want on our team. An RFA and Minnesota may be unwilling to shell out the cash he deserves. A Prust with more offence and less fighting is how I’ve heard him described.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Pascal Clutterbuck is intriguing indeed.

I know about Beach being questionable on the top line, I just see him as a big left winger who has skill and that Marc Bergevin has a book on. I’m not saying it’s ideal, just that he’d be a left winger who could move into a Top 6 role, go down the roster if he’s struggling, you give Alex Galchenyuk a shot, then Brandon Prust. Maybe David Desharnais’ line is the ‘#1′ line. They’re not etched in stone.

Same with Jeff Schultz, I know he’s not an All-Star. I’m okay with a Hal Gill type who plays a touch more physical. If an opponent is acting up he can amoeba him, like Hal used to.

We’re not winning the Cup with this roster, we’re plugging holes and adding some size, waiting for the boys in Hamilton to be ready.

If we can get Chris Stewart and a second for Tomas Plekanec, that’s worth a thought. I’m tempted to say yes, but this may be a case of a bird in hand being better than the two Blues in the bush.

• Un Canadien errant says:

In all seriousness, Cal Clutterbuck is probably too valuable to the Wild. He’s a Steve Ott-type, some skill, mondo-annoying, difficult to play against. The Canucks and their fans hate him. I doubt he’s available. Not sure I’d want him on our team.

• Landof10000lakesHab says:

I watch and follow the Wild. It is quite possible that Clutterbuck or Brodziak may be available this summer. The Wild are in need of a PP Dman and the owner is anxious for results after investing heavily in Parise and Suter. Clutterbuck is a terrific player – tough as nails – big hitter. However there is concern in the Wild community that he is already showing wear and tear from all the banging about. Buyer beware.

• adamkennelly says:

that team is not an improvement over the one which got curb stomped by the Sens after finishing in 2nd.

44. Mattyleg says:

I don’t care who wins the Cup.
    From what I’ve seen (and it’s been quite a bit), in these playoffs the Bruins haven’t been the perennial cheap-shot artists that we’ve come to know and hate.
    They looked the better team for most of Game 1, and I imagine the series will go to 7 games with the Bruins winning it.

And as for ‘composure’ goes, SmartDog, you obviously didn’t see the Chi-LA series. Chicago had a serious composure meltdown, led by Toews.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Un Canadien errant says:

Matty, did you miss the punch by Zdeno Chara on Sidney? I thought that would dispel any grudging notion that maybe the Bruins aren’t a bunch of goons and cheap shot artists.

And Claude Julien complains that it’s the refs who fall for the embellishment of opposition players.

It’s not okay to think the Bruins might be okay.

• JohnBellyful says:

That sucker punch alone erased any begrudging respect the Bruins might have earned with their post-season play thus far, which has been largely free of the goonery they’ve displayed to excess before.
        And Julien makes it impossible to give this team even a nod for the success it has enjoyed, because there’s no denying the club does have talent.

• Mattyleg says:

Meh, one punch does not a team of thuggery make.
        I’m not going to get my knickers in a twist over that.

I don’t love the Bruins, and their behaviour for the past couple of years has been dispicable, but their play has been tough but pretty clean (by ‘Playoff Refereeing’ standards). If you’re going to tar and feather them for one punch, then go right ahead, but I can’t follow you down that path.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

45. commandant says:

Brett Pesce has a year of NCAA Hockey under his belt and is number 62

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

• HabFab says:

Only 2 weeks to go, feels like Xmas. This guy is on my list of about 24 guys I wouldn’t mind seeing in our first 3 rounds. Love the depth of this draft.

46. SmartDog says:

5 THOUGHTS:

1. WHAT DOES DD NEED? Given the problems DD had (especially after Cole was traded), I would be that MB is not just thinking who we need up front, but also who would compliment DD the way Cole did. A big net-crashing F who is good along the boards.

2. CRAWFORD VS. PRICE: Speaking of Crawford, and how he doesn’t let goals bother him (above), there’s another goalie who last year seems to have lost this attribute: Price. The looks after some goals, rattled, pissed, pale… makes me think that there’s a good chance that Price was frustrated with his goalie coach too. I mean, it’s a team effort – goalie and coach. What Rollie said has a bit of truth – certainly Price was getting LESS and not more consistent. I think the new coach has a real chance to put Price back on top… if he can adjust Price’s game enough to get his confidence and consistency back. So much is riding on that though. Another point to the idea that Price may not have been working hard enough: Budaj played great. Obviously HE was able to improve under Groulx.

3. GIO & GORGES. It’s funny that a few years ago everyone was saying Gorges should be Captain… and then Gio. And now we HAVE Gio as Captain (not something the SmartDog ever backed.. I do like him as a player, but not as Captain) and the majority of people seem to think Gorges is dead weight and Gio is not a suitable Captain. Not everyone agrees… but how they have fallen. So who should wear the C?

4. HAWKS & BRUINS. Before these playoffs I picked the Hawks in 5. That’s going to be tough, but I think it could happen. The B’s have a lot of intangibles, but the Hawks have better wheels, better scorers, are well-coached, AND have the ability to meet the Bruins toughness with their own physicality and (importantly) composure.

5. THERRIEN. What I want to see from Therrien this year is the ability to adapt. When you say the whole team played worse at the end of the year, it seems that this may be partly because teams had solved the Hab strategy. First year coaches on a new team… get the benefit that no-one has a chance yet to study the team tapes and see how they play. This probably also contributed to the playoff success of Bylsma in his first half season… and the decline since. Which, btw, really makes me wonder about that 2-year extension. But it’s not my money!

SD

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• mksness says:

DD needs a change of scenery…

i don’t think crawford is really that good. people forget how he was fighting to get starts during the year with emery and really only got the start in the playoffs due to emery being hurt. He’s not a bad goalie but i think he falls into the category of goalie that benefits from the team around him(although i did think the same of niemi and he’s been playing pretty well as a shark)

With Price, i dunno… something is off. our D isn’t as bad as people out there are making it. i don’t think the goalie coach was to blame for any of his play. i kinda get the feeling he was a lil injured through out the season and maybe that caused him some difficulties. here’s hoping he bounces back next year. if he doesn’t habs fan will not be liking his cap hit at all.

• habstrinifan says:

1. Bickell. 3. Prust 4. I picked Hawks too.. think was 5 can’t remember. 5. Adapt during games and start being more insistent on ‘productivity to match so-called effort’ from the veterans. I know many here dont agree with me but there are ‘veteran’ players on the HABS who, if not have accepted, have become ‘comfortable’ with ‘average individual results’ of the past seasons under the umbrella of ‘this is a team game’.

47. Sportfan says:

I’m tired of Biebers face being on the you might like this spot….

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• ZepFan2 says:

If you’re tired of those ads, try this: http://tinyurl.com/4c8828m

“Annoyed by adverts? Troubled by tracking? Bothered by banners? Install Adblock Plus now to regain control of the internet and change the way that you view the web.”

———————————————————————-
      Ka is a wheel.

“On we sweep, with threshing oar.
      Our only goal will be the Stanley Cup!” – Danno

For Your Life

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Thanks so much. I have no problem with advertising but it slows down the loading of the page so much. Now it loads fast!

• ZepFan2 says:

Yup, I d/l it a loooong time ago. I was a happy camper after I did.

———————————————————————-
          Ka is a wheel.

“On we sweep, with threshing oar.
          Our only goal will be the Stanley Cup!” – Danno

For Your Life

48. Sportfan says:

Majority of Hab fans are cheering for the Hawks lol

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

49. sirs81 says:

Well I will get to go see the Habs play live this coming season (first time) but it will be in Detroit :) Better the nothing i guess heheh. Should be fun when our Habs stick it to all the Detroit fans in their barn :P

• Hobie Hansen says:

Haven’t seen a game in Detroit but I’d imagine it would be a fantastic place to see a game. You don’t want to be wondering around at night after the game but the Red Wings and their fans are a great organization.

I’m pretty sure they have an MGM casino close by to play some poker at after the game as well ;-).

• Curtis O Habs says:

I grew up in Windsor and most of my NHL games were taken in at the Olympia or the Joe. The Joe is half empty during the regular season and smells like beer and urine. The fans return from the intermission at about the 10 min mark and leave for the intermission five minutes later. You can buy an inexpensive standing room ticket and move to the seat of your choice. Hockeytown my arse!

50. <----- MR. PERFECT says:

Montreal Fans has class – Cheering for Chicago

51. HabFab says:

That SI “20 Reasons Why…” article linked above is well worth the read for any hockey fan.

I am cheering for the Hawks as well ! A Boston Neanderthal win, would be a black eye on our sport, and put us back to The Broad Street Bullies days. Chicago is playing hockey, the way it was meant to be played.
    Hab’s will be there in a year or two, me thinks!

HIO MEMBERS!!
    Don’t forget to stay tuned for when the new schedule comes out. I will be picking a game date for our weekend SUMMIT in Mtl. at the end of Oct. I will try to get a Detroit game on the Sat. , with home games on either side of our Summit game for those who want to stay in town.
    Those that have already purchased their tickets from the cancelled game last fall, will have replacement tickets given to them.
    For others that want to participate in Montreal for the HIO Summit weekend with us in Oct., please stay tuned for information on all our weekend events and game tickets.
    Ian

HIO fan contact site—Summit game tickets, News, Pictures and comments

53. Marc10 says:

Go Hawks Go!

54. Fransaskois says:

Read on HFBoards that Waite (CHI goalie coach) will likely be coming to Montreal. Has anyone else heard this or has information regarding it?

• <----- MR. PERFECT says:

If a Goalie has good “D” and forwards that can put the puck in the net. He’s gonna look good. Taking nothing away from Crawford but look what he has for “D” and Offense. If Price had that he’d probably be the best Goalie in the NHL. Maybe MB can make it happen in the next few years ….

55. boing007 says:

Go Hawks! Sweep the Bruins!!

Richard R

56. habstrinifan says:

The early bird catches the worm! But then again I could be hanging around for nuttin cause 10:28 est aint exactly early .. maybe al the worm’s gone!

Edit Prediction: Chicago 5 Boston3.. Bickell 2 Toews 2;