Carolina last stop for Habs before Olympic break

The Canadiens will be in Carolina Saturday night to play the Hurricanes in their final game before the Olympic break (6 p.m., CBC, RDS, TSN Radio 690).

Following their 5-2 win over the Vancouver Canucks Thursday night at the Bell Centre, Canadiens coach Michel Therrien cancelled a practice that had been slated for Friday morning in Brossard. Instead the team went straight to the airport for the flight to Carolina.

Michael Bournival, who suffered a facial cut during Thursday’s game, did not make the trip to Carolina. Travis Moen (lower-body injury) and Alex Galchenyuk (broken hand) also didn’t make the trip.

Carey Price won the battle of Team Canada Olympic goalies Thursday night, stopping 42 of 44 shots, while the Canucks’ Roberto Luongo allowed four goals on 28 shots. The last goal by Max Pacioretty, completing his hat trick, was into an empty net.

Team Canada plays its first game at the Sochi Olympics at noon ET Wednesday against Norway.

(Photo by John Mahoney/The Gazette)

Pacioretty gets hat trick in win over Canucks, by The Gazette’s Pat Hickey

Pacioretty 0-for-2 on penalty shots, by Pat Hickey

Tortorella thrilled St. Louis going to Sochi, by The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs

More is more for Habs, Canadiens.com

Habs vs. Canucks photo gallery, montrealgazette.com

‘Little buckaroo’ gets prize from his hero Price, by Dave Stubbs

Carey Price: Big game hunter, Sportsnet.ca

Canadiens hand Canucks sixth straight loss, Vancouver Sun

Road trip from hell gets even worse for Canucks, Vancouver Province

Complete Olympic hockey coverage, Postmedia News

1. adamkennelly says:

Parros out for Frankie B.

I realize the Canes are not tough at all but still – bit of a slap in the face.

Waive Parros already – maybe someone picks him up – he’s cheap – if not – he can retire.

2. gmur says:

I’m a fan of Douglas Murray. He imposes respect in the d-zone, especially in front of the net. I’ve seen players hit him and it seems he doesn’t move… they come away on the short end of the exchange.

That being said, Murray seems to get winded abnormally fast during shifts. Maybe he needs to spend lots of time with Pierre Allard, the Canadiens’ strength and conditioning coach, during the Olympic break. If there are playoffs for the Habs this year, they’ll need Murray in top shape; he’ll play big minutes if we face Toronto or Boston.

3. HabFab says:

Russia is a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma.

Winston Churchill

Well, it doesn’t get much weirder then this;

4. habs001 says:

The question for Team Canada management will be can Price win the big game…Meaning he is playing great and so is the opposition goalie and game tied in the third or o/t ..does he blink first by not making the save that he cannot be blamed for but the opposition goalie does..Has Price played great in some playoff games and so has the opposition goalie and Price blinked first?…

5. WindsorHab-10 says:

Hoping there’s a market out there for Travis Moen & George Parros.

• Rad says:

Oilers looking for a 2-way forward with size to complement their skill players, but I think Travis is more of a defensive forward than 2-way.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Assuming no injuries, bottom six players on the Habs:

Eller, Bourque, Chucky or Briere (one plays with Pleks-Gionta), Prust, Moen, Parros, White, Weise and Bournival.

9 players…somebody has to go. Moen would be my choice too. Nobody wants an enforcer for the playoffs.

6. habs001 says:

Will be interesting who will be in the line up on Feb 26 Habs vs Detroit as gold game feb 23 and bronze the day before..Sabres and Carolina play 25th …

7. commandant says:

One of our writers got the chance to strap on the skates (or is it sled) with the Canadian Paralympic Team. Here’s how it went.

Very cool event put on by the Paralympic Committee.

Part 3 of our Draft Preview (11-15)

8. HabFab says:

Political and completely off hockey. But what a sad state of affairs when a nation is so divided… poor Ukraine;

• Habcouver says:

When it’s a matter of living in a country that’s unsafe, most of us are unable to fathom the state of affairs.

I sure grateful the ancestors came here in the 1800’s.

Waiting patiently for #25

• ooder says:

ya there is a reason my family decided to leave Ukraine as soon as communism fell apart. that whole area is a sh!t hole that is surrounded by a piss moat

9. the subbanator says:

This guy from team Sweden (Victor Oehling Norberg) bears a striking resemblance to Emelin!! https://twitter.com/bcslayy/status/432197930192089088

10. habs001 says:

Russians are loaded on forward but they must not be too strong on the D if Emelin and Markov make the team…Would Emelin even make top 15 Canadian D …

11. HABSnEXPOS says:

Im not quite sure why people are so torn about trading Markov. Ask yourselves these questions.

Is Markov going to get younger next year? Faster next year? Harder shot next year? Harder hitter? Will get beat less by the opposition?

the cap is going up and we should spend the extra cash on 35 y old defensemen. That’s our deepest position in the farm

Is he a great leader.Absolutely. Great veteran presence and mentor for those young prospects.

Payton manning would have been a great teacher to Andrew luck. Payton manning is a unbelievable quarterback despite his age and injuries. The colts didn’t just want to contend for a Super Bowl ,I think they they felt they could contend for several,lots ,many Lombardi trophies. Save money on PM and spend it on other needs.

We are unsure as fans because we all love Markov and we all want to see him retire a Hab. He will. In sports you can manage a team with your heart and your emotions. You have to be somewhat ruthless.

If we sign Markov to even say two years I think when we will have to trade him GM’S around the league will be telling MB to dust off his Carole King cassette and press play.

• jimmy shaker says:

I compare marky with lidstrom and feel he can have the same impact with the habs as lidstrom did with the wings. I think he signs for 3 years at 6mill/per!

shaker out!

• piper says:

Lidstrom is sometimes referred to as the second best d-man to ever play the game. Markov was once top 10 in the league but never in that group.

• HABSnEXPOS says:

6 million and everyone that wants him stay say he should play less minutes. More money for less work,sounds like an Ontario school teacher.

No offence , I do really like a lot of your posts but this one seams a little on the homer side of things . Lindstrom finished his career with 4 rings and 1142 points 7 Norris trophies 12 time allstar Olympic gold medal winner etc

markov not so much.

• jimmy shaker says:

Playing on one of the great dynasties of modern nhl history…..under the greatest coach of all time, in a non cap league. Basically he had a solid supporting cast year after year, where Marky wasn’t so lucky. Breaking it down one on one without the stats swaying in lidstrom’s favor I think they are very similar and very effective especially as they have aged. Unless Marky’s return is a solid prospect and a 1st rounder, he has to stay in habville I feel.

• HABSnEXPOS says:

Non cap league. … And so where was montreal during all of this ? Why couldn’t we have a great dynasty team with a great supporting cast and the best coach of all time … I’m sure we had more money than the red wings .

Because they think outside the box. Made drafting from Europe down to a science . They didn’t didn’t hire and sign guys that where from Michigan.

Heck they had no problems letting federov primeau Vernon play for other teams

• WindsorHab-10 says:

Team comes first. If moving Markov improves the team then I have no issues with it.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Markov is not getting any better…that is clear. Question is what kind of contract are you going to give him, especially with the +35 CBA rule. If he wants more than 2 years, forget it.

• Mattyleg says:

Keeping Markov not only improves the team, but it improves the team brand/image.

Lidstrom was kept by the Wings, and it gave a great sense of continuity to the team; someone that everyone could look up to.

I would have no trouble with a front-loaded contract for 4 years, which we could buy out at the end if needs be.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

35+ contracts can’t be bought out I believe.

• HABSnEXPOS says:

Lindstrom won 4 cups. What is our brand and image right now?

I think if we were interested in brand and image we would have had the Big Bird and Patrick Roy working in as coaches or the front office. We would not draft Louis Leblanc because he’s from point claire Quebec and the draft is being held at the bell centre. We don’t sign guys that careers are finished last year like briere so he can be the first canadien to have a accent on the jersey and also snubbed us.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Thinking about brand/image got the Habs Briere…no thanks. You can’t compare Lidstrom to Markov. Lidstrom was still better than Markov now at 40.

Keeping Markov does not improve the team. It keeps it at the same level in the short term. If GM believes what he says, that this team is 4-5 years away, he has to move him. We’ll see…

12. frontenac1 says:

Hey amigos. This Luge guy from India is pretty tough.

13. Plekasuares says:

Ok I can assure you that the guy on the plane was not me!!! I’m from Ukraine lol. Habs will wing this one tonight I’m afraid, but might sneak out a win. I’ll go 2-1 Habs.

14. B says:

Hab’s CHL prospects current stats:
    ……Games Goals Assists Points +/- PIM ppg
    Michael McCarron….49 8 15 23 +5 91 0.469
    Jack Nevins………….53 16 27 43 +8 133 0.811
    Connor Crisp………..50 21 20 41 +12 98 0.820
    Jérémy Grégoire…..51 24 23 47 +17 66 0.921
    Dalton Thrower…….42 12 27 39 +9 70 0.928
    Tim Bozon…………….54 26 29 55 +4 38 1.018
    Brady Vail…………….52 24 43 67 +33 31 1.288
    Charles Hudon……..43 20 38 58 +7 69 1.348
    Martin Reway……….29 17 29 46 +13 36 1.586

–Go Habs Go!–

15. BJ says:

Another consideration re. Markov is the PK equation. First he needs to be re-signed, if he gets a RFA offer MB has to match it (whats that going to be) or take the picks, which would be a lot (and from which team, as obviously an offer from a team that has a low potential gets higher picks). I can’t imagine losing both those guys. So its a juggling act. Also just read that Berezin says Markov wants to finish his career in Montreal and he is not saying that as a smoke screen. And if MB decides to trade Markov he has the total of four games to figure it out between the start of the next trading deadline and the end. So basically between February 26 and March 5th. My feeling is if you get a sure bet young large size top 6 and a 1st, go for it.

16. HabFab says:

At the 1:03 mark, Bergevin employ’s his latest negotiating tactic with PK;

17. habstrinifan says:

My Olmpics best short list.

Best uniform in the opening ceremony… Russia. Those coats were fabulous. Loved the hats too.

Weirdest country’s name:
    The Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia… come on man! Imagine Bob Cole or P.J. Stock having to work your games.
    Geez! Google “cool names” and pick one man!

“You better not lose to_______” closed door warning. Tie between Togo and Tonga.

…. more junk to come.

18. HabFab says:

Canadiens Montréal – Francis Bouillon will be back in the lineup against Carolina. MTL will dress 7 D.

19. naweed235 says:

Must’ve been a Gomez jersey…

20. habsfan0 says:

Will Alex Galchenyuk be ready to resume play immediately after the Olympic break?

21. Mike D says:

Loving all of the Markov discussion gents!

I agree with the assertion that if we re-sign him, 2 years @ 5-6mil per would be ideal for the club and compensates the player fairly. I would consider a 3 year deal but only if the cap hit was really favourable to the club.

I also agree that if he is moved, the return has to include at least one “sure thing” of quality. Picks are great and I’m sure Marky would fetch at least a 1st rounder, but teams interested in him will likely be drafting no sooner that 20th overall and the guys you get in that area are maybe’s and will take a couple years to develop (IF they develop at all). One important factor for MB to consider is who the trading partner is if a draft pick is part of the equation. If possible, find a partner who is trying to make the playoffs in the first place, or who is unlikely to progress more than one round.

Another thing to consider. Marky has a NTC and I think would be insulted if the team approached him about a trade. Depending on the details of his NTC, I wouldn’t want to scorn him and have him refuse the trade and then leave for nothing in the summer out of spite (doubt the reality of this scenario, but you never know). MB has to at least make him a contract offer first before inquiring about his interest in a trade.

– Honestly yours
    Twitter: @de_benny

• Habfan10912 says:

Mike I am so torn with this one. I appreciate all that Markov brings to the game. I’ve seen a huge slow down in his skating this season that really bothers me. Some believe its his knees. Could be. The club is in a much better position to determine that then I. All I know is what I see and he’s slowed down considerably.

If I were able to separate mind from heart for a moment I think I’d argue that he is no longer worthy of a multi year $5+ million contract. I do think the Habs cannot let their UFA’s walk without getting something in return.

Bergevin will have to make a tough decision here and my best guess is he’ll decide that Markov is not part of the Stanley Cup building process here and he’ll attempt to capture additional building blocks for him instead of losing him to free agency.

Saddens me because he’s been such a wonderful player for the team for years. Like you I’ve enjoyed the debate concerning this. Cheers!

• Mike D says:

Hey Jim, hope things are well with you bud! Appreciate the reply and your thoughts.

I agree that Markov is not as good as his pre-injury form. Like you said, maybe it’s the knees, maybe it’s age, maybe lack of playing time for a while there, or a combination of some sort.

With the cap going up as much as it’s going to for next season, any team that wants to sign Markov will have to pony up at least 5mil x 2 years, and that probably wouldn’t even get it done.

I’m torn as well. I’ve voiced that I’m against trading The General, and while part of that is a heart-decision, there is also plenty of it that is a head-decision. If I were MB and another team offered something really substantial though, I would give it very serious consideration and would be very tempted to pull the trigger.

– Honestly yours
        Twitter: @de_benny

22. HabFab says:

Women beat the Swiss 5-0 in their first game.