Carolina last stop for Habs before Olympic break

The Canadiens will be in Carolina Saturday night to play the Hurricanes in their final game before the Olympic break (6 p.m., CBC, RDS, TSN Radio 690).

Following their 5-2 win over the Vancouver Canucks Thursday night at the Bell Centre, Canadiens coach Michel Therrien cancelled a practice that had been slated for Friday morning in Brossard. Instead the team went straight to the airport for the flight to Carolina.

Michael Bournival, who suffered a facial cut during Thursday’s game, did not make the trip to Carolina. Travis Moen (lower-body injury) and Alex Galchenyuk (broken hand) also didn’t make the trip.

Carey Price won the battle of Team Canada Olympic goalies Thursday night, stopping 42 of 44 shots, while the Canucks’ Roberto Luongo allowed four goals on 28 shots. The last goal by Max Pacioretty, completing his hat trick, was into an empty net.

Team Canada plays its first game at the Sochi Olympics at noon ET Wednesday against Norway.

(Photo by John Mahoney/The Gazette)

Pacioretty gets hat trick in win over Canucks, by The Gazette’s Pat Hickey

Pacioretty 0-for-2 on penalty shots, by Pat Hickey

Tortorella thrilled St. Louis going to Sochi, by The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs

More is more for Habs, Canadiens.com

Habs vs. Canucks photo gallery, montrealgazette.com

‘Little buckaroo’ gets prize from his hero Price, by Dave Stubbs

Carey Price: Big game hunter, Sportsnet.ca

Canadiens hand Canucks sixth straight loss, Vancouver Sun

Road trip from hell gets even worse for Canucks, Vancouver Province

Complete Olympic hockey coverage, Postmedia News

1. bwoar says:

So, did we trade Markov yet or what? No? OK so staying mediocre again. Eh, that’s SOP, no big deal. But, and it might just be me, it’s gonna look bad on us when he signs with Toronto on July 1.

“thoroughbred”

• habs-fan-84 says:

“No? OK so staying mediocre again.”
      Trading Markov would not make us better.

• CH Marshall says:

If anything, I think we need to bring Tinordi and pateryn up, get another D or two, and maybe three or four new FWdS. Players with Markov’s vision and passing abilities take a long time to develop. I’m not in favour of trading him myself.

• bwoar says:

In my view, either they commit to winning the Cup, or they commit to building a team that can win the Cup. Instead they’ve committed to making the playoffs and seeing what happens. That’s mediocrity writ large. Like I said, par for the (golf) course with the CH. It’s a real scam they have going & they use the ‘cultural’ fact to their own monetary advantage year in and year out to back it up.

Is this team ever gonna aim for the Cup rather than for the playoffs? At the end of the year will we get the lovely crap-eating speech from Bergevin talking about how hard it is to make the playoffs, and then how hard it is to win, and how he’s got a plan to win (just like the last guy’s plan, which we won’t talk about)?

You’re bloody too rights that we’re gonna hear that same broken record again, and a bunch of kudos to the coaching staff about the steady progression of young players, etc. etc. the same as always. He likes his team. He definitely likes his team and he will tell you so in both official B.S. languages.

Trading Markov? It may not make us better, that much is true. But keeping him isn’t gonna magically turn this pumpkin into a gilded coach straight to endless champagne and slightly mingey puck bunnies. Given the jerk-around with this player over the last 3 years and the last 3 months (over his representation) I sincerely hope MB has his sights on turning this contract over while we still can.

“thoroughbred”

• B says:

I don’t believe that making the playoffs and building a team are mutually exclusive.

–Go Habs Go!–

• habs-fan-84 says:

As per Commandant earlier today (who sums it up better than I):

Post 1 (February 7, 2014 at 12:25 pm)
          The issue with moving Markov is that it leaves you without a #2 defenceman next year. There is no one on the team who fills that void.

So you have to look for a #2 in the summer, and the free agent crop is thin.

So then you are forced to trade for a number two… and now you aren’t gettting a rental, but a guy signed for at least a full season or more. The cost would likely be similar types of assets to what you just acquired for Markov.

So really would you be any further ahead? And in the meantime your number 2 D is gone for the rest of the season and playoffs.

Isn’t it just easier to resign Markov til the kids develop and can take his role?

Post 2 (February 7, 2014 at 1:06 pm)
          The Habs currently sit in 3rd in their division, and just one point out of third in the conference.

Yet people are convinced that the team will trade Markov.

For those that want to make the move, I have one question. Can you name one team, just one, in NHL history, who were fighting for home ice advantage in the first round of the playoffs, and traded away their #2 defenceman at the trade deadline, with no replacement ready to go? I can’t think of any.

Post 3 (February 7, 2014 at 2:12 pm)
          I would re-sign him.

We have no number 2 defenceman without him. A need that must be addressed in the summer if he leaves.

The summer has a pretty weak crop of defencemen capable of being that number 2.

If you can’t sign one you have to trade for one. And since we are no longer talking rental, we are talking a guy with a contract, he will likely cost as much or more as Markov did in terms of trade assets. Sure we might trade different prospects but the value would be similar.

So its a case of not really improving the team long term, and losing your #2 d at the most crucial time of the year as a rental to someone else short term.

I don’t see where this moves us forward.

• bwoar says:

My post is partly in response to that viewpoint.

My answer is to move forward with the kids we have if it’s not possible to sign anyone useful.

Subban
            Emelin
            Gorges
            Beaulieu
            Tinordi
            Pateryn/Murray

And let the chips fall where they will. We’re one hit, one bit of bad timing, away from losing Markov forever in any case. Rather than take our chances, we’ll end up taking an even bigger gamble on a 3-4 year contract for somewhere north of 5.75M. I can’t believe that sounds like moving forward to anyone. Since neither’s a great choice, take the road where we get a return, at the very least.

“thoroughbred”

• habs-fan-84 says:

Fair enough bwoar. I guess it sounds like you’d prefer that the Habs don’t find a replacement for Markov in the summer and essentially play 3 rookie defenseman next year.

As long as you’re willing to live with the consequences of that, then fine. However, there’s something to be said about optics and organization culture.

The strategy your proposing basically tells Price, Subban, Patch etc. that management doesn’t care where they finish. They choose to live and die with a rookie defense core. I think you’ll have a roster full of pissed off players. I don’t think that does much for the culture going forward. I think you have to strike a balance between remaining competitive while developing your own – I think management is trying to accomplish this.

• Habfan17 says:

I read that teams did not want to make trades before the Olympics since it would count against the cap when they would not actually be playing. Teams wanted to wait until after the Olympics so they will take on the cap hits once the players will play.

It makes sense if you are taking on more cap. Not so much if you are the team clearing cap space. Anyway, having said all that, Bergevin still make indeed trade Markov, or other players.

For those who say that trading Markov, would leave the team with a big hole or the lack of a number two defenceman, they did it for two seasons when he was injured and he could resign with them once he is a free agent. To “rent” him to a team for a decent prospect or picks and then get him back would be good business!

I am of the group that believe, with his age and injury history, it would be best to trade him as long as the return is high. I also don’t want a team that has a goal of squeaking into the playoffs and then seeing what happens.

Habfan17

2. Dunboyne Mike says:

Is it far-flunged inexpert extrapolation to wonder whether poor Kris Letang’s stroke might possibly have its roots in one of the concussions he has already suffered in his short career to date?

• Habfan10912 says:

I saw something earlier that indicated the villain was a small hole in Kris’,heart. That’s a fairly common cause of strokes in otherwise healthy people. Prognosis is normally good if in fact that is the cause. Let’s hope so.

• monmick says:

Good point. I wonder what Dr. Recchi would say…

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

• DipsyDoodler says:

1. No concussions have no relation to this kind of stroke.
      2. The hole in the heart theory (patent foramen ovale is the official term) remains controversial. About 1 in 10 to 1 in 3 healthy adults have it.
      3. Nonetheless if the hole is large, and blood flows from right atrium to left atrium (it shouldn’t, pressures on the left side of the heart are higher) then a small clot can form (e.g. in the legs), shoot up to the heart, cross over to the left and then shoot up into the brain.
      4. There are many other causes of stroke in the young. A fairly common one is arterial dissection (where the wall of an artery tears and clots form in the tear). This is the common cause of stroke after neck injury and chiropractic neck manipulation.
      5. Prognosis depends on how much brain tissue was damaged and where.
      6. This is what happened to an Italian footballer named Antonio Cassano. He actually recovered and came back to play (I think he still plays in the top league).

• Habilis says:

Don’t know near enough to answer that intelligently. But here I go anyhow. My take:

I don’t know a ton about the subject, but I do know that strokes can be caused by a lot of factors, one of which is blood clots. It’s not unheard of for pro athletes to suffer from blood clots. It’s entirely possible that Letang had one that wasn’t diagnosed in time. None of which would have anything to do with concussions.

The preceding was pure and utter speculation by someone not fit to speculate.

Edit: Didn’t see the informed posts above before typing mine. Good stuff.

3. Thomas Le Fan says:

I don’t know about Snider but there’s a point to be made about pros at the O’s. The only saving grace to justify it is that the O’s have gotten so far from the original idea that … as Hilary Clinton says, what difference does it make now? I know we can’t go back but the fact that the Olympics and the U.N. are two of the most corrupt organizations on the planet and the fact that both have gotten as far from the original concept as possible should concern us before we support them and give billions of dollars to corrupt kleptocrats.

Hockey isn’t everything … it’s the only thing … except for beer and guitars!

4. Plekasuares says:

It’s kinda annoying how you can’t reply to comments on this app. It would be a great addition to this wonderful HIO app to include that.

5. Habitant in Surrey says:

@B

…thank You B for the Sochi ice hockey schedule …much appreciated :)

6. Habitant in Surrey says:

Bruce Arthur: ‘Shower cameras just the latest Sochi silliness’

…the paranoia games :)

7. Plekasuares says:

Great post CJ, brings a smile to my face

• CJ says:

Thank you very much. I wish someone had captured the expression on my face when I opened the package. Even better was being able to pass it along to three little people. I don’t think it would have taken Carey and the PR director more then 2 hours to do what they did, but those 2 hours now represent weeks and months of lasting impressions.

I only wish I could someday bring the children and Carey together. It is well beyond me to arrange such a meeting, but if the opportunity ever presents itself I’d love to just say thank you.

8. FanSince1969 says:

Are the world Juniors boring? I believe that we, as a nation, have ample talent. Many of us here have said that Canada can field 2 or 3 teams of pros. I agree. But we can also field a team of players from the AHL who would be just as good. I doubt Korea will see the pros since NHL doesn’t have market interest there.

9. Lafleurguy says:

Hey! Who tinkled in the sandbox?!!!

“Bends but won’t break”

10. Habilis says:

One more thing about the whole Snider situation:

If you take NHL players out of the Olympics, the Olympics are going to suck. Let’s be honest here, half the reason why most Canadians get so pumped for the winter games is the hockey. Even when we don’t win, it’s just amazing to watch the top teams face off. And it’s not like we’re the only ones. Look how many countries make hockey players their flag bearers. Everyone wants to see the best vs the best, that’s what makes the Olympics special.

I know some of you are old like me, so you remember when the games were played with “the best of the rest”. I’m not talking the Soviet teams of the 70’s, I’m talking the also-ran teams of the late 80’s and early 90’s. All the talent was in the pros, so the hockey at the Olympics was literally second-rate. Not fun to watch, especially because we never won.

Take the best players out and you are removing all the talent from the most exciting and most popular sport at the games. You might as well take hockey out in that case, because what’s the point?

But why would Ed Snider care about that?

• Lafleurguy says:

The only thing I remember from the Sapporo Olympics was that Karen Magnusson had great legs. Now, with omnipresent media and internet, lots of Olympians will be showing off their great legs.

“Bends but won’t break”

• frontenac1 says:

I like the Winter Olympics amigo because I enjoy watching sports where the participants run the risk of getting killed or seriously maimed. Also,Canada wins a lot of medals.

• Habilis says:

I’m with you on that. No doubt I would still watch the other events. I love the skiing and snowboarding stuff, moguls and aerials especially. Speed Skating is also pretty cool. Bobsledding, also cool. Skeleton is just bananas.

But without the best hockey players, the crown jewel of all winter sports becomes more like a crown turd.

11. CJ says:

@Dunboyne Mike and Jackal

Thank you both. Your kind remarks are sincerely appreciated. Not many can say they’ve won the lottery in life. I have reminders everyday, all around me.

Sincerely, CJ

12. Dunboyne Mike says:

This is CJ’s great story which he posted to last night’s Liveblog:

CJFEBRUARY 6, 2014 AT 11:53 PM
    In 15 minutes our youngest boy will turn one. As a young parent, I gain so much pleasure from watching our two young men grow up, albeit way too quickly. I can’t wait to share the game we all love and continue to pass along the responsibility and privledge of being a Canadiens fan onto the next generation. The story below will help to illustrate why I consider it a privledge;

My profile picture was taken at Joe Louis arena, with our oldest boy. The trip was really an excuse to visit my uncle in Sarnia. Truth be told, although I don’t really believe in playing favorites with family, he was my idol. Only separated by 10 years, he was a major influence during my formative years. As a senior executive, he landed me my first job and provided counsel as I progresses through the organization.

Shortly after our trip, he passed unexpectedly, leaving behind his wife and three young children. As a season ticket holder, I reached out to the Canadiens to see if there was anything the organization could do for the kids. I made similar requests in Ottawa and Toronto where our business has boxes and seats. Nothing materialized in either city, however I received a phone call from Montreal. I spoke to an executive and hung up not knowing what to expect. Within two weeks a package arrived at the door. Inside were three personalized letters, written by Carey Price, each directed towards one of the children. He signed a photo for each and included his card.

This small gesture had a tremendous impact on my young cousins. It also galvanized my belief in what it means to hold the distinction as the most storied franchise in hockey history.

I hope I can bring a degree of respect and courtesy to this blog. I thoroughly enjoy conversing with each of you and hope my comments are as well received as those I also enjoy reading.

• Storman says:

Thanks for the re-post, Mike, and CJ a very nice pause and chance to remind one about the importance of cherishing your family, friends, acquaintances, and just the person you pass on the street on your walk to the store , never know when it can all come to an end.. Pay it Forward..Nothing like putting a smile on someone’s face or giving someone a little reason for a nice laugh and a smile..

• Habfan10912 says:

There is a spirit in all of us that yearns to do good. Your story confirms what happens when an entire organization adheres to the values of that spirit.

CJ I’m so sorry you lost your uncle so soon. The game of hockey has connected many of us in ways we couldn’t imagine.

Thanks for sharing that with us. Its more then a game, eh?

CHeers.

Jim

• Habs4LifeInTO says:

Thanks for reposting this story, I hadn’t yet seen it. Very touching and makes me proud to be a member of the HIO community, a fan of this great franchise and a strong supporter of Carey Price whom I believe to be a great young man! Thanks to Mike and CJ!

24 cups and counting….

• habs-fan-84 says:

Wow, I missed this last night. Thanks for re-posting!

• Habilis says:

Thanks for re-posting Mike.

Gold, CJ. Awesome stuff.

• New says:

Class is an overused noun, and it’s meanings aren’t all that attractive. But when used as an adjective it denotes a stylish excellence. The Canadiens and Price are indeed class acts.

13. Plekasuares says:

Aye lads! wait to you see what Jagr Plek and Tlusty can whip up!! Czechs are the sleepers lads! well than there’s pavlec…

14. Lafleurguy says:

Health is paramount:

“Bends but won’t break”

15. Luke says:

If i was in meetings all day, does that mean I get to leave early and drink beers before the OHL game tonight?

16. Mattyleg says:

Okay, a bunch of you are shooting off against Ed Snyder, but you’re not even trying to see his point of view:

It’s his turn to pay rent this month, and he owes the others for groceries from last month, and on top of that he has to pay his driver’s license (plus the fine for late payment), so right now is kind of not a good time for the cash he was kind of expecting for, like, three weeks’ worth of games to just all of a sudden dry up!

Okay?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

17. CAREY CAREY CAREY

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures
    Summit Member 29.31.1.20.33

18. Bripro says:

The pre-Olympic trade deadline was 3pm today.
    Does anyone know if there was any activity?
    Have we traded DD yet? Moen?….. somebody?

19. The Jackal says:

Let’s play a game.

These are 15 players NOT on the Habs. Pick 5 to have on the team, and then pick 5 players on the Habs you remove to make room for your 5.

Giroux
    Pavelski
    Voynov
    R. Johansen
    J. Neal
    Edler

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

20. scarboro_habitant says:

trade freeze in effect.

21. Habilis says:

“It’s ridiculous, the whole thing is ridiculous. I don’t care if it was in Philadelphia, I wouldn’t want to break up the league. I think it’s ridiculous to take three weeks off, or however long it is, in the middle of the season. It screws up everything. .. How can anybody be happy breaking up their season. No other league does it, why should we? There’s no benefit to us whatsoever. If anything, I can only see negatives.” – Ed Snider.

And there is the reason why this will probably be the last Olympics with NHL players. Greedy animals like Ed Snider rule the roost when it comes to the BOG. He doesn’t see any way to profit from it, so he hates it.

How short-sighted do you have to be to think that putting your best players on display for the entire planet to see doesn’t benefit you in the long run? Of course Snider is old and greedy, so why would he care about the long game?

These past few games with the pros has been some of the best hockey ever played, hands down. But again, that doesn’t make Ed Snider an extra penny, so it’s not useful to him.

Sickening that men like that are basically in control of this beautiful game.

• Caesar says:

Same guy who had no issues cancelling a whole season and then another half for his own pocketbook.

• DipsyDoodler says:

The worst thing for the NHL is the Olympics demonstrates what a great game hockey can be.

It also gets better ratings.

• knob says:

The problem is that the owners and Bettman don’t want the world to see good reffing and expect the same standard in the NHL. That is all it has to do with.

• Habfan10912 says:

At the risk of making another “ridiculous post” I’ve heard other teams broadcast teams make similar arguments as well in addition to giving other players (Chara) additional time off. Most of their arguments center around possible injuries impacting their seasons.

Now before you guys start hammering me again :) I love Olympic Hockey. Its the best hockey we’ll see this year, bar none. I think Olympic hockey is directly responsible for growing the game in the US, big time and I’m guessing the same holds true for Europe and Asia as well.

Lumps of coals can be sent to……

EDIT: I also loved Caesars response above.

• Ron says:

I’m not a fan of the OLY as a means of pushing hockey in the USA as much as I would rather see a more open World Cup. Just hockey nothing else. But then again this could be another “ridiuclous post” that you have a patent on. :D

• habcertain says:

first of all, their is nothing ridiculous about giving a star, or any player for that matter, time off to attend something that is deemed important to the individual, carrying the flag for your country is deemed to be a great honor and good on Boston for letting him do that. At the end of the day it will mean nothing to the Bruins as per standing/playoffs etc. That said, shutting the league down to participate is a big concern and don’t believe it enhances the quality of the NHL, and does expose the players to additional mental/physical stress. Out of season would a completely different ball game, a la Canada Cup etc. l would have no problem with pros not participating and letting others fill the gaps, if all leagues cooperated, but even then the KHL sends players and we beat them amateurs, how would that look in the headlines.

• Habfan10912 says:

Sorry, never intended to call the Chara vacation ridiculous. I was referring to my original post. I’m willing to concede my opinion concerning that is in the minority. You win. :)

I think your take is similar to Snyder’s. I guess I look at it as a type of Stewardship. The game is more important then the league but its Snyder’s money on the line there not mine.

If the NHL is as big and/or as important as the other Big 3 Pro Leagues of North America (MLB, NFL, NBA) you don’t see any of them disrupting their league mid season for such an event.

MLB does the World Baseball Classic during spring training and even that is quite a controversy, many injuries during it.

NBA has Olympics during offseason and obviously there is no comparison for NFL.

Easy for us to call the owners greedy, selfish etc….. but it is their business which they paid for. Essentially they are supposed to risk their commodities (players) for the benefit of the “game”.

I understand his complaint.

• Luke says:

That’s because North Americans (as a rule) can’t see past their own noses.

The Soccer leagues adjust their schedules around a whole bunch of tournaments including some that operate during the week while league games are played on the weekend.

I get it the… the owners don’t care about “Hockey”, they care about “NHL Hockey”.

They prefer to cancel 2 complete seasons worth of games in the last twenty years to NOT play the game instead of taking a three week break, with no loss of league games played, to allow the sport to be played at the highest level on the world stage.

• Habilis says:

Great points. I just don’t buy the whole “risk our assets” argument. As you pointed out, they were willing to waste plenty of time during the lockouts, and their “assets” were busy risking themselves in the KHL and the rest of Europe. Didn’t seem to bother them then.

It’s obviously a different situation, but the Olympics are only every 4 years. And it’s not like the Flyers or anyone actually loses money on it. There’s still 82 games and playoffs, same revenue as any other full season.

But to listen to Snider, you’d think that shutting down the league to showcase it’s best talent was some kind of financial drain. It’s not, but it’s also not an opportunity to make more, which is all Snider cares about.

• GrimJim says:

As a counterpoint, though, all the European soccer leagues break their regular seasons for Champion League games, and the EPL schedules FA cup games in the middle of it’s season as well.

I don’t want the fusion reactor, I want the confusion reactor

Good point, but I think the risk of injury is much greater in hockey due to the contact. Plus as Luke points out, North Americans can’t see past there own noses.

I still think at the root, the NHL Owners compare themselves to NFL/MLB and NBA owners far more than European Soccer teams owners.

22. Plekasuares says:

1. Canada
    2. Russia
    3 Czech

23. krob1000 says:

Kumbaya my blog! Kumbaya!

Is it me or was the ceremony very boring? I get that Russian love War and Peace but 10 minutes of it? The whole thing was too long for my liking.

Not to mention that I really wished both Mclean and Mansbridge would shut the f up.

25. Storman says:

Check out links to pics below,, wow ,, apparently 21 of 22 Olympic venues from 2004 Athens Olympics are now abandoned and falling in to a very bad state of dis-repair

• Habfan10912 says:

Thanks for sharing. The only two Olympic sites I’ve visited are Lake Placid and of course Montreal. I know the Montreal games are sometimes a sore subject for the money which was spent but I’ll say that both of those sites have done a pretty good job at making good use of their facilities.

What we see over in Greece is kind of sad.

• Storman says:

Yup some seriously bad planning by Greek politicians,,

I Was just at The Sports Complexe Claude-Robillard built for Handball and Water Polo, training etc.. 1976 Olympics, now a fantastic sports and recreation facility,, hosting Canada vs Serbia Fed Cup Tennis this week, an awesome facility for public use as well as private and professional.in Montreal..

Weren’t Habs like 10 points ahead of the laffs before I went on my cruise?

27. ClutchNGrab says:

Apparently the Habs are having an “ugly suit trip”

28. Habitant in Surrey says:

…is Canada losing Stamkos equal to a Russia hypothetically losing Ovechkin ?

…Claude Giroux or Marty St Louis for the replacement ?

…was St Louis chosen with ‘the head’ or ‘the heart’ …or both ?

29. Bripro says:

So just when MT starts playing the same lines (2-3 games in a row) and the 4th line taking up important minutes, Bournival decides that Weise’s hockey stick would make a better razor. …. perfect!

30. lazman says:

FunkyCrabChairNF: I read your posts with interest. You had every reason to argue the quite ridiculous post from Habfan10912, but doing it in a calm and sensible way always gets you much further. Using denigrating words like a-hole gets you nowhere, especially on blogs like this where everyone can hide behind a computer screen. You’d be much better off arguing the points without getting inflammatory.

• Cal says:

The post wasn’t ridiculous. I’m very tired of the NHL compressing its schedule. This results in crappy games with both teams unable to play properly and, more often than not, many more injuries.
      It’s time for the NHL to bow out and hold a late August early September Hockey World Cup.

I think that is the Gist of Snider’s argument. I don’t think it had anything to do with whether or not his cable company was profiting from the Games. Like Snider or not, he is a passionate owner. I often disagree with his views, but I respect the fact he speaks his mind, even if little to speak as a result. :)

• Cal says:

The whole Olympics movement thing gets me gagging, actually. A country spending tons of money for a 17 day circus of sports hardly anyone watches- cross-country skiing and the biathlon come to mind. In the meantime, all the country’s problems get put on the back burner. Big waste of time, effort and money they don’t usually have.
          Then again, having lived with a 30 year debt for a piece of dung stadium like the Big Owe can do that to you.

• sheds88 says:

EVERY other WORD in CAPITAL letters DOESN’T help EITHER

31. aemarchand11 says:

Got Corsi?

32. CJ says:

Shifting gears….

Any Sports illustrated subscribers in the crowd? Dated information, but the January 20th issue contained a story on the Danville Trashers, a professional team born during the 2004 lock out and managed by a 17 year old. The team played in the federal league and had, among others, Mike Rupp, Brett Gretzky and Jon Mirasty. The story reads like something out of the science fiction section at the local library.

At that same time the Cornwall Comets were founded, competing in the Quebec senior league. I used to have season tickets. There was usually a bench clearing brawl during the warm ups and the over under on number of fights per game was likely 5.5 with even money on both sides of the betting line. I had two good buddies play there on and off for two years. The stories were again unbelievable.

Steve Bosse, Jon Mirasty, Pat Allard, Simon Desarmeux, Joel Theriault….Crazy stuff.

Anyone else follow these minor leagues?

33. Habitant in Surrey says:

…did You see Mason Raymond’s goal vs Tampa ?

…how in the World did the Canucks let him walk ?

34. thehabsfan29 says:

Eller, Thrower & a pick for Couturier?

So Parros probably in for Bournival Saturday it appears I guess.

36. Habitant in Surrey says:

…thank you GrimJim

37. Habitant in Surrey says:

…I think Ron McLean has an amazing range of detail and interests

…he is extremely quick witted and well spoken

…wish he was a Habs Fan, but One can’t everything

38. Habitant in Surrey says:

…well said Mike :)

39. Phil C says:

I think it was classy for the Bruins to let Chara experience a once in a lifetime opportunity. It would be beyond cynical and petty to deny something like that. I’m sure the big lug was going with or without their approval so they might as well say yes.

40. Storman says:

RON MACLEAN as Dexter Morgan’s sister Debra would say Sucks Balls,,,I did not believe it possible for Ron MacLean to sound like more of an annoying dumbass knob ,, but i am sure he will,,,, & luckily when my nauseous meter & tank hits full,, and I cant take anymore of his annoying digressions, i have endless options available for my Olympic viewing pleasure..

Peter Mansbridge must want to just punch him in the face, or at least tell him to shut the f..k up..

41. Habitant in Surrey says:

…when is the first Olympic hockey game being played ? …this weekend ?

42. Dunboyne Mike says:

Well thank goodness for freedom of speech.

Thank goodness for the freedom that a platform like the internet can provide for conversations within communities where dissent is suppressed, or for such communities to connect to those on the outside. There are conversations across national, cultural and religious boundaries, and there are conversations about recipes. And hockey teams.

We here all enjoy the freedom to express an opinion and then either defend or amend or abandon it, and as publicly or privately as we wish. Example: I have strong views on fighting and dirty play which have on occasion exasperated some posters here (Hobie! Jols!) who then are at liberty either to engage, dismiss or ignore me (while perhaps others, lurking, just bite their tongues). And even though views may be polarised, the fact that this is a community — never mind that it’s a virtual one — means that participants are generally willing to engage in a civil way, a courteous way, genuinely wishing to hear out the other person. And where that breaks down, to patch up later.

But the freedom doesn’t even stop there. There is also the freedom to announce to every single reader here — if you so wish — that you are an utter bollox. An ill-mannered and classless jackass.

No one will stop you if you want to do that. It only takes a few posts to share this personal information with everyone here. It’s good because it’s honest: everyone knows where they stand. And the bollox can enjoy exercising that same internet freedom that everyone else enjoys. It’s very democratic and it breaks down barriers between civilised people and bolloxes.

Thank goodness for the internet.

• Phil C says:

Hey Mike, saw your comment about Murray, that “pinching” is an inadequate description of what he does when he keeps the puck in and destroys everything in his path. . Good stuff. Did you come up with a better description? We may need to add a new term to the hockey vernacular.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Oh man, Phil. I’m sure the posters who can’t wait to get rid of him know what they’re talking about. But I can’t tell you how much I enjoy watching him play, especially what he does in the crease and on the opposition blue line. It’s been so long since we had such a commanding physical presence on D.

As for an upgrade on pinch? The next poster suggested “steamroll”. Not bad!

• krob1000 says:

I like either “clearcutting” or “Mack Trucking”(Macking for short).
          I can hear the announcer now “The Canes rim the puck around, here comes Murray Macking down the wall! Call a tow truck! Pacioretty picks up the loose puck….”

• Mattyleg says:

Hear hear.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Bripro says:

100%.
      And it’s nice to see you took the high road in your personality description.
      Whether the suit’s for me or others, it can be stated with class and respect.
      I have no problems with people disagreeing with what I have to say. But at least show proper courtesy in your opinion, and we’ll get along just fine.

• boing007 says:

Never Mind the Bollocks, Here’s the Sex Pistols.

Richard R

43. Habitant in Surrey says:

…the torch must have been inspired by Montreal’s Olympic Stadium

…lots of Russian males to give birth in 9 months I predict

44. Habitant in Surrey says:

mmmm, nice. Great fireworks

45. Habitant in Surrey says:

…to run that distance means He’s still in shape

46. Habitant in Surrey says:

…Tretiak ?

47. Habitant in Surrey says:

…and Funky, calling You a ‘Berkshire’ is as low an accolade possible :)

48. Bripro says:

OK so how long do these opening ceremonies last?
    I have a poker game tonight…

49. Habitant in Surrey says:

…this is much better

50. Hobie Hansen says:

Just booked off the Olympic semi-final hockey game during the day on Friday Feb 21st. Hopefully team Canada makes it. :-).

• RetroMikey says:

Gonna be tough for them to play in a larger ice.
      I would have been content if we sent smaller players with skill down there than the bigger boys we have.
      Big is better in the NHL.
      Speed and skill with smaller players is better in larger ice rink for the IIHF Worlds and Olympics if you play overseas in their venues.
      But I am happy St. Louis made the team than a James Neal or Tyler Seguin.
      Yzerman must have woken up and realized speed and skill you need to compete against the Russians, Czechs, Finns, etc. on their European soil.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

51. Bripro says:

@FunkyCrabChairNF
    I’ve just found the new Berkshire.

52. Habitant in Surrey says:

…I totally support Bripro/Brian on the subject of His rant to today’s troll :)

53. Caesar says:

Bournival was in a fog when they escorted him to the dressing room last night. It was plain from the quick video of him exiting the bench that he was not coming back. I missed the hit though.

54. DipsyDoodler says:

Before we all engage in a wankfest over the “classy” Bruins organization, realize that giving their 37 year old capt a little break right now is just fine.

55. Habitant in Surrey says:

…beautiful voice and presentation of the anthem, the initial opening was a dirge

56. Dunboyne Mike says:

CJ, just saw your story about your uncle and Carey Price. Please see my reply. Mike

• CJ says:

Thank you very much. Your kind words are greatly appreciated.

The circle of life; My uncle who passed at 44 was named Robert. My wife and I discovered we were expecting our second child six months later. When we learned that we were having a boy, we naturally chose the name Robert.

Our little Robert does not replace our uncle Robert, nor should he be expected to. He provides warmth, perspective and love, which is all a father could ask for. We are celebrating his first birthday today. Not sure if anyone is luckier then I am. We are very blessed.

Lastly, if you could do me the favor of copying my post and placing it on this thread I would be grateful.

Best wishes, CJ

• Dunboyne Mike says:

I’ll definitely do that.
        Just have to wait til my normal, easy-going temperament is restored first.
        Many happy returns to the little guy!

• CJ says:

There are far greater things to concern ourselves with. Folks come undone here daily. I’d love to engage these people in an open dialogue, but I fear logic would not necessarily apply.

Your post, which I might add was brilliant, is likely lost on those who would stand to benefit the most from your words of wisdom.

Kindly, CJ

• The Jackal says:

Hey CJ, read your post too.
            Very touching story and my condolences.
            You’re quite a class act, thanks for sharing with us!
            And that’s pretty good of the team and Price too.

______________________
            Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• CJ says:

Thank you Jackal.

All the credit to a very kind PR director and Carey Price. I can only assure you that the loyalty is being repaid ten fold.

Again, that you for the kind words.

Very humbled. CJ

57. Strummer says:

Opening ceremonies observations:

Haley Wickenheiser was the flag-bearer- should have been Youppi.

Tessa Virtue seperated at birth from Katy Perry
    ____________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

58. krob1000 says:

@JohnLuTSNMtl: #Habs announce Galchenyuk (hand), Moen (lower body injury) and Bournival (upper body injury) will not travel to Carolina with the team.

• Strummer says:

I heard Bourival was jolted so hard it knocked off the 2 dots above the “e” in his name

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

• Habfan10912 says:

Hey Krob. A few days ago I read somewhere about the possibility if Galchenyuk getting a game or two in Hamilton during the break. Have you heard anything?

• Ron says:

Unless its a conditioning stint (from injury) I don’t think its allowed by the guidelines set down by the league for the Oly break. Besides Chucky made the team out of training camp and not considered an AHL player such as Nate. Teams are not even allowed to practice..

59. krob1000 says:

@JohnLuTSNMtl: . @trentonrommy Galchenyuk reaches standard 6-week healing period for his injury on 2/17. #Habs resume practice on 2/19. Alex s/b there.

60. krob1000 says:

Anyone else think it might be time to have a different pp look? I am wondering if 1 puck is 1 too few to have both MArkov and Subban on the pp. It seems the entire pp happens above the dots and nobody is forced to respect the forwards down low. Any puck that goes to Dd is not going to be shot, Gallagher is always in front. Markov plays his best pp unfortunately on the same side PK does as well. They run those guys out for the entire 2 mins and that is too long considering it is them doing most of the passing and lugging of the puck to gain the zone.

• Ali says:

I wish they’d put Markov back on the left point. I remember that gorgeous pass he used to make to Kovalev on the right wall through the PK box for the one timer. Patches, and even Galchenyuk can finish those. Set it up. It does take PK’s one timer away, but they can switch it up from time to time.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

LEADING question!!

(What are you, Krob? A diplomat?! Marriage counsellor?)

Elephant in room, sitting on the lone basket which contains all the eggs!

The commentariat produced several nice-looking PP wrinkles last week: MT must have been too busy to visit last week. Among them I remember these:

1) Big bodies (Murray, Parros) parked in crease
      2) Briere on the blue-line

• krob1000 says:

Markov anchored the leagues most succesfful or close to pp every year he has been the go totguy that I can remember. When PK was an accessory I found it worked..when PK became the focal point I noticed a swing in the wrong direction. They both want the pucka nd they both want to control the play.
        NO need for the bigger body in the crease but having the pp run through a triple threat forward like Plkes or even Briere and mixing up the side and operation scheme would be ideal. The umbrella is geared towards PK’s shot but it neutralizes Markov’s savvy with his cross seam passes and ability to sneak down low…which in my opinion were the two main reasons the HAbs pp was successful for so long. Pk fired a few absolute bombs and everyone lost perspective of what and who has made the pp click for years. Pk iss great..but Markov pulled it off.

The other issue I have is that Dd is not a thereat to walk himself or shoot…this makes it essentailly a cheating 4 on 4….the defenders sneak towards the one timer lane as soona s he has the puck…they can because there are three guys abve the toips of the circle. I would prefer to see them operate out of the overload from the half wall …break pk’s down to collapse and then get it back to the point. This can only be done if the half wall guy is a threat ot pass, shoot or walk…this is why Kovalev was the best. Pleks can do it and even Patches a bit…but Gallagher IMo is also being misued on the pp (not sure he belongs there). IF he is going to rotate in and out then fine but with him standing still in front, Dd never shooting, Markvo limited by taking away his two biggest weapons ..all you have is a predictable pattern. Frustrates me because youc an see every play coming two passes before….Markov/Pleks or yes BReire would be better as the guys the pp runs through. Sure have PK on a unit but not as the guy the puck must travel through…

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Great analysis, thanks. Puts details on my less expert impression of what’s become a one-trick-pony PP that any team with video tape can shut down.

All your wrinkles look good to me (which reads REALLY badly out of context!), so I hope MT drops by here today!

• krob1000 says:

I am far from an expert just spoiled with years of watching Markov and Pleks own the pp and now for some reason team has gone away from what worked.

61. Habitant in Surrey says:

…are some of Y’all watching the Putin Games ?

…am I accurate in describing these Olympic Games opening ceremony as the most Gawd-awful and turgid display in living memory

…simply unbecoming ?

…if Russia was intent in dispelling the myths of its past, this is not going to do it

62. commandant says:

Yet people are convinced that the team will trade Markov.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

• Habfan10912 says:

Ben, if they have no intention of resigning him the right move might be to move him at the deadline don’t ya think?

• commandant says:

I would re-sign him.

The summer has a pretty weak crop of defencemen capable of being that number 2.

I don’t see where this moves us forward.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

When the Oilers traded Gretzky, is that comparable? :)

Oops guess not, that was offseason. Back to the drawing board here for me.

• Strummer says:

Not unless Markov marries a B-movie actress and must re-locate.

______________________________________________________
        “It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

• Kooch7800 says:

She got a bad wrap in Canada and that trade had nothing to do with her at all. Pocklington needed money. I watched a documentory on it recently about Pocklington. I actually felt bad for Wayne.

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• RiverviewCanadien says:

And some here were tank talking not too long ago…

No way I would be happy if they traded ‘The General’ right now. I am one of the old guard and am probably in the minority when I say this, but I would like to see more players be a ‘one team’ player…I think Markov and Plekanec are two of those types (unless some ridiculous trade offer for either arises), but they were drafted and came up the ranks with the organization, and I feel they will continue to contribute to this team’s success for a while yet.

I hope both retire as Canadiens.

====================================
      Folks, it’s Bushmills time, and that’ll keep ya warm!
      ====================================

• krob1000 says:

No honour for Connor!! I am still lobbying for next years tank…if ever there was a year worth it …next year is it!

• RiverviewCanadien says:

LOL

That is a great tank theme Krob and very fitting as I despise tanking!

====================================
          Folks, it’s Bushmills time, and that’ll keep ya warm!
          ====================================

• Ali says:

short-term vs long-term. Even with home ice, do you see this team winning a cup with the following forwards being in the top six: Gionta, Desharnais, Briere, Gallagher.

A reporter on twitter the other day said that the habs have 5 players under 5’10 on their team (Gio, DD, Gally, Briere, Bouillon). The entire Western conference has 5.

• commandant says:

Is it always about winning the cup or is there value in the playoff experience that our young players like Max Pac, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Price, Eller, Beaulieu, Emelin and others by playing 2 rounds of playoffs.

What is the price of that?

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

• scarboro_habitant says:

cmon lets be realistic. this team isnt going anywhere in the playoffs and for the better good of the future of this team, its best they trade some of their better assests before their reach their expiry dates.

63. DipsyDoodler says:

Holy Moly! I wasn’t wrong!

Tatu, snowflakes, a male chorus, a Queen song (!!!)…

A staging of “YMCA” with Putin playing the part of all 5 Village People is the only thing missing.

64. stephen says:

Was going to suggest giving Budaj the start so that Price could get extra rest heading to Sochi, but of course Budaj is going too. Hmm…

65. Habfan10912 says:

On the last thread one of my favorite posters gave the Bruins kudos for letting Chara take 2 games off to carry his nations flag at the Olympic opening ceremony. How would we react if, say Price took 2 games off to do the same.

How about the Bruin fans who purchased a high prices mortgage the house ticket for Saturdays game? Think their happy?

How bout his teammates who are busting their butts at their job while Chara is off playing?

I’m old fashioned. Mr. Chara is paid handsomely by the Bruins to play hockey. That’s where his aligence should start and end.

I’d be upset if one of my teams players was off doing this. I’m not brave enough to visit a Bruin blog but I’d love to know their response to this.

Ronn- your still one of my favorites. :)

I think that is one of the perks for sitting first in your division, it makes making such decisions easier. I look at this as a one time personal request made by the employee of his employer.

The issue of fans complaints due to ticket price etc… is completely on the Ownership/Mgmt of the Bruins. If they decide it is okay for Chara to leave, they own the repurcussions and this does not come back on Chara.

I see your perspective Jim, but I think all employees who have a good relationship with their employer will on occasion ask a personal favour and it is up to that Company/Team to decide if reasonable.

Is being a flag bearer for ones country comparable to witnessing the birth of ones child? Perhaps it is, and thus I have no issue with this. In a day and age when we ask that all people be respectful and tolerant of others, having an employee who wishes to honour his country to me seems very reasonable.

CHeers Jim.

• Habfan10912 says:

And if it were Price thus site would be a sh*t storm.

Do you know what the price of coal is now a days? :)

As cold as it is here these days, you may wish to thank our congenial friend from Newfoundland for being so kind as to reward you with coal for your post.

Yah no doubt Price leaving early for such an activity would bring fierce debate, and again, because we are a bubble team to make playoffs the decision would be that much harder.

Something else to keep in mind is that Slovakia has only in this last generation gained their sovereignty after the breakup of Czechoslovakia. I don’t think we here in North America can quite grasp the importance of his role on Slovakia’s Olympic team and what it means to that country.

• Ron says:

Good post Burl, good for the gooins to let him bring some much needed pride for his country.

• RiverviewCanadien says:

HiB…anything and everything brings forth fierce debate when it comes to Habs fans…remember all the crying and yelling done over Price taking part in a rodeo?

====================================
            Folks, it’s Bushmills time, and that’ll keep ya warm!
            ====================================

• Bripro says:

Jim, If you had the opportunity to hold your country’s flag on the biggest stage in the world, regardless of your career position, would you say no?
          I know I wouldn’t.
          Representing one’s country is the ultimate acknowledgement and I would think on most athletes’ bucket list.

• Ron says:

From above post Bri, calm down now your going to bring yourself into the same light as you go againist. We all know Jim and his family spent a weekend with you and you have developed a relationship through the few years on here. Jims a big old boy and I’m sure he can look after himself on here. As Jim would say smile and wave..

• habs-fan-84 says:

The difference is that the Bruins are comfortably leading the Atlantic and are Playoff bound.

If the Habs were running away with 1st in their division, I doubt few would care if Price took the final 2 games off before the break.

Also, Burly raises a good point, re: Slovakia and its sovereignty.

Given the Bruins situation, I don’t think it’s a big deal. It would be a different story if they were were sitting in 8th and fighting tooth and nail for a playoff spot (I doubt Chara would leave his team in that situation).

66. Mike D says:

Not sure if it was mentioned on the previous thread, but Kris Letang suffered a stroke.

– Honestly yours
    Twitter: @de_benny

67. ClutchNGrab says:

I don’t know if I want to cry or laugh, but in case you missed it there has been a 24 Seven series on our very own prime minister…

68. Reefer64 says:

Canada’s first game is Thursday @ noon. Not Wednesday.

69. CJ says:

If Comcast got the contract he’d be all for it.

70. ClutchNGrab says:

Ed Snider doesn’t like the NHL at the Olympics.

71. Habfan10912 says:

The Olympics were a celebration of amateur athletes which have been now kidnapped by money.

One last thing, don’t pretend to know what my view of the world is. Who the heck would make such a ridiculous judgement from a post? Of course reading some of your prior post I guess its the norm for you.

Your description of his post as that of an A-hole post certainly does open the door for constructive dialogue.

73. Bripro says:

That’s a pretty “Funky” perspective from someone who doesn’t know anything about his so-called (as you called it) “a-hole post”.
    If you knew the author who posted his objection to Chara’s being in Sochi, you would agree to disagree, and not come out as the a-hole you’ve painted yourself as being, in denigrating one of the better ones here.
    Maybe it’s time you went trolling down the river, and leave the friendly confines of this, our wonderful social site.
    We don’t need anymore yahoos around here!

74. Bripro says:

If you had any sense of respect for others, as I said, you would agree to disagree, without the mindless uneducated colourful metaphors.
    By the way, you’ll find the definition of metaphor in the dictionary, somewhere between idiot and pathetic.
    And if you’ve never seen a dictionary, it’s a book with sheets of paper listing definitions for just about anything, be it intelligent or not.

And I apologize to the rest of the commentariat for my rant.
    But people who come on here throwing insults at our best posters without having an inkling of who they are just peeves me off.
    Trolls….

75. habcertain says:

don’t challenge those in power, know your place and apologize!

76. scarboro_habitant says:

lol this kitten has claws.

77. Mattyleg says:

HA!

Nothing like a tough talker on the internet to impress people!
    Keep it up, Funk.
    Give ‘em hell!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

78. Habfan10912 says:

May I please interrupt gentleman. Look, it appears the consensus here is my opinion was in the minority. Thar’s fine. I’ve been wrong plenty of times. Disagree and move on. I’ll add this in a respectful way. The manner in which you disagreed was a little harsh for most peoples taste but to each their own and as you’ve pointed out, its your right.

Let’s just move on. Please?

79. Mattyleg says:

You’re not coming across very well on here, FCCNF.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

80. Ron says:

Jim, smile and wave..

81. Cal says:

Cute and cuddly, boys. Cute and cuddly.

82. Cal says:

And it all ends happily ever after.
    Until the next dust up, anyways.

83. Bripro says:

Now you see?
    You’re showing a civil side….
    Maybe I was a little harsh as well.
    (white flag waiving)

84. Dunboyne Mike says:

And indeed, at base there’s a really good debating point there: to what, ultimately, does any of us owe allegiance? To the dollar? Or to deeper things (even if they don’t put bread on the table or honour contracts).

I kept swinging on this one.

85. Mattyleg says:

I don’t think anyone is denying your right to post, they just have problems with your tone, which is a bit heavy-handed for a discussion forum.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

86. Mike D says:

Would that be considered tampering? At the very least it’s borderline, and would definitely be tampering if the trade was already mutually agreed to when that statement was made.

I love the idea though.

– Honestly yours
    Twitter: @de_benny

That concept is often discussed even by the talking head “Insiders”, but when or how often have we ever seen the player to help the team and then re-sign back with the original team. I am trying to recall a scenario….seems wonderful in concept but never or rarely happens.

88. Mike D says:

I think that once a player puts on a different jersey and goes into battle with a new team that old bond is lost with the old one. The connection is essentially broken.

– Honestly yours
    Twitter: @de_benny

89. Steven says:

If I remember correctly, Corvo did something like that once. Otherwise, though, nothing comes to mind.

90. stephen says:

Especially if that player happens to go deep into the playoffs or even win the Cup.

The sentimentalist in me would like to believe Markov would re-sign with the Habs, but I don’t think there’s much room for sentiment in the business.

91. Mike D says:

Markov loves Montreal and has never been shy about his wanting to stay here. For that same reason, I think he would be that much more upset if he were traded and less likely to return. Pure speculation of course.

– Honestly yours