Carbo’s wacky world of line changes

OK, fans, let’s hear your thoughts on tonight’s lines as pencilled out by Canadiens head coach Guy Carbonneau:

First line: Higgins-Plekanec-Kovalev
Second line: Kostitsyn-Grabovski-Ryder
Third line: Streit-Koivu-Smolinski
Fourth line: Latendresse-Chipchura-Dandenault

1. Jonnyboy says:

Its and interesting combo. 3rd line would be an interesting one to see, Lats seems to have been improving of late.

I like it though.

2. TradeRyder says:

I love your posts Gilles because I never know if you’re being serious!

I stopped watching games in the late 90’s – too frustrating. Now watching Breeze-bye make the same mistakes, and the team fall apart again. I think I need to go see my therapist again!
    Thanks for the line changes I asked for Carbs! Now, do the defense!

3. ccs says:

Three words….JUNK JUNK JUNK. Smolinski Junk #1 Ryder Junk #2 and Huet Junk #3. It could have been a blow out had the 4 or 5 go off the post and in for the Preds. Time to now bring up some bodies from the farm. Glad to see Lats playing some really good hockey and Streit was flying out there….I guess we know how the sens fans felt the other night. Oh well bring on the Red Wings………Go Habs Go.

4. Gilles Poisson says:

Please. We can’t afford to lose great fans like you. Be patient. It’s only been fifteen years. Bob knows what he’s doing. Look at all his great picks out there. And all the others tearing up the AHL. Calder Cup last year mon ami. Thank you.

5. lcpservices says:

I share you feelings.

How do you blow a 3-0 lead to Nashville?

Books, Softwares, Downloads, Information

6. TradeRyder says:

Being a Habs fan…

I give up on this stinking team.

A bucket with a hole in it doesn’t hold water. We need changes on the first line!

7. TradeRyder says:

Smolinski??? Why do they like this guy??

8. lcpservices says:

Less than a minute to go in OT, 4-4 tie, if Habs lose this one, it will be a terrible blow.

Very disappointing game, even if Habs win

Books, Softwares, Downloads, Information

9. LTHF says:

I watched this game throughout and dont beleive what I seen. Smolinski was invisible all night and yet he was out there in the last 3 mins, and again after nashville scored the tying goal— absolutely unbelievable. After taking the penalty he shoud have been benched./ Period

10. TradeRyder says:

BTW – as you can see by my sig (below)…. I LOVE the line change.

And we got some goals. Now what we need is a DEFENSIVE SHUFFLE… Hamrlik to the first line.. Breeze-bye in the press box?

11. TradeRyder says:

What HAPPENS to this team in the THIRD PERIOD?????

Jeeezzzzz… soooo frustrating.

12. johnnyhab says:

It does not matter what the submitted lines are. They will not stay the same for the entire game…or for the first period for that matter. it’s a joke

13. Gilles Poisson says:

Well, just as I thought, there will be some growing pains for the new lines. Guy and Bob just have to stick to the plan and give the new lines time to gel. I say 26 or 27 games. Can’t keep Begin or Le Bombe out that long though. But now who does Guy take out? Oh la la. It is a problem every coach would love to have. Also the new lines fulfill the promise Bob made to Koivu about getting him some help. He is now standing shoulder to shoulder with Smolinski. Thank you.

14. zamboni says:

One question.
    Who would be back-checking on that second line.
    I’m trying to come to grips with Ryder looking like our best prospect.
    I wonder how many seconds that line will survive when we get scored upon.

15. skoehn says:

I do not agree with how often carbo juggles lines they players never play long enough to develope good chemisty and be in sync with each other. early in the season there was 2 or 3 games with no changes as they were working great and winning he needs stick more to his lines and leave them

16. notbigbird says:

Whatever. The ink will barely have time to dry before they’re changed. Whether this is a good lineup or not, this game musical lines is getting to be absurd.

17. Geoff F says:

Who’d be playing defence on line 2? I’d be more inclined to consider the following…

Higgins, Koivu, Kostitsyn
    Kovalev, Plekanec, Grabovski
    Latendresse, Chipchura, Ryder
    Dandenault, Smolinski, Streit (Kostopoulous)

First line would get two guys who can pass so Higgins can worry about burying them for a change.
    Second line get’s blazing speed.
    3rd line get’s a big body in front of the net so that Chips can set up Ryder for a shot and let Lats & CHips get rebounds. Finally the last line shuts them down with defence as a priority but plenty of speed on the wings for an odd man rush on a penalty kill..

What do you folks think?

18. linp says:

No. Carbo totally lose it. He is the one who put Higgins in the right wing and skews up the 1st line.
    Put Koivu in the 3rd line with two slow skaters? I would keep Begin and bench
    Smolinski or Ryder. Smolinski is slow. Ryder hits hard without the puck. He has no confident and appear to be timid when he has the puck.
    I am afraid we’ll lose Koivu if we don’t make the play-off.

19. J.T. says:

I think it’s brilliant. I swore to God I wasn’t going to watch this game after the incandescent anger I felt during last night’s debacle. But it turns out Carbo’s just tipsy enough to interest me. I actually like the first line…Pleks has been playing well with Kovalev and traditionally played well with Higgins. It gets Higgins back on the left wing also. And I like the idea of Kosty and Grabs playing together…they did well in Hamilton last year. In fact, Grabovski only ever seemed to be productive with Kostitsyn, so maybe the old chemistry will kick in and Ryder will benefit. Koivu with Streit I don’t mind…although I would have sat Smolinski over Kostopoulos.
    The Chipchura line will be fine.

I’m more concerned with the defence. A hurt Markov and a Breezy Brisebois don’t instill much confidence in me.

20. Gilles Poisson says:

Everybody is giving coach the praise for the great lines but don’t forget Gainey is the one who made it all possible. I see Guy is finally breaking up Komisarek and Markov too. Very wise moves. Tres bien Guy. Thank you.

21. ebk says:

Let’s bring Valentenko and O’Bryne up and add them into the mix at forward. Maybe O’Bryne is the long sought power forward the Habs have been searching for. It would also improve our 5 on 5 play. Just think how tough it would be to score with 5 defenseman on the ice at one time. I’m sure glad we have Carbo, he is light years ahead of other coaches.

22. Kevin says:

With 8 defensemen dressed, we can roll out 2 PK lines with 4 D on each! Maybe Carbo’s on to something?

23. Alirio says:

Here we go again…

Last year’s mistakes look to have been forgotten and Carbo will now waste another two-week slump messing up the lines instead of sealing reinforcements from Hamilton.

I’ve made a huge mistake…