AUDIO: Captain Kirk comes home; Habs call up White, Schultz

muller

Carolina Hurricanes head coach Kirk Muller shot through the penalty-box glass during his team’s Sunday practice at the Bell Centre.
Dave Stubbs, Gazette

AUDIO: Kirk Muller 1 and 2

UPDATE: Habs call up Ryan White and Ian Schultz from Hamilton. See below…

It’s a homecoming for Carolina Hurricanes coach Kirk Muller, a four-year Canadiens player and five-year assistant coach, and defenceman Jaroslav Spacek, who played 2 1/2 seasons for the Habs.

On Monday, the Hurricanes take on the streaking Canadiens, who are on a four-game winning streak.

Release from the Canadiens Sunday night:

Carolina defenceman Jaroslav Spacek at the Bell Centre on Sunday, his arena home the past 2 1/2 seasons.
Dave Stubbs, Gazette

1. doogie says:

Did anyone ask Brian Burke if it was ok to bring up a rugged fighter like Schultz?

* * * * * * *

Need to get my clubs ready for the golf season since there ain’t gonna be any playoffs!

• third generation haber says:

hahaha, i’m sure it bruised his gigantic ego that he wasn’t notified in advance. How many doubles did he put-back while the habs were plastering his team?

On a side note, what happened to Grabo’s “extra motivation” to beat the habs???? He needs to shut the f#&@-up and play.

j.p. murray

2. third generation haber says:

‘Kempie’ Here’s the link for the Emellin hit on Schultz at development camp. Shultz took a huge run at him, and appeared to smash into a wall of concrete.

j.p. murray

3. third generation haber says:

Getting tough with the Bruins is not the solution, that only fires them up. Use muscle to win puck battles, and skate their flat footed defence into the ground! Speed kills the Bruins!

j.p. murray

4. third generation haber says:

Is Moen being traded??? He sat out the last game which may have been to prevent injury, as a trade for him may have been close to completion. And now, Schultz (not ready for prime-time) is being called-up. TRADING MOEN WOULD BE A MISTAKE! While many teams may want him, he’s not worth a first round pick, or a solid prospect (in the minds of other G.M.’s that is). How could we possibly win this trade???? We might get a 3rd rnd pick which would take years to develop, if ever. And, we’ll be searching for a rugged winger with size in the free-agent market, a player like… Travis Moen, to fill the hole!

WE NEED TO RE-SIGN MOEN! Could someone please run an oxygen line to Gauthier’s brain!!!!!

p.s. Schultz, in an effort to prove himself, may take penalties and get his butt kicked against Boston. This kid is seriously fearless, but needs to focus on hockey, he was an alternate captain and goal scorer with the Hitmen.

j.p. murray

• Stev.R says:

He hasn’t even done anything yet and you’re freaking out on PG. Moen is a heck of a player but he is not irreplaceable. Who knows, there may be a bidding war and we could get someting really good for him.

5. habs001 says:

looks like 8th place will play rangers…in the west did not realize blues only 3 points behind detroit with 2 games in hand..they are having a tremendous season

• ProHabs says:

Rangers vs. Habs. Gomez vs. McDonagh. It will decide who won the trade once and for all.

• coutNY says:

LOL…. I hope you are not seriously contemplating Gomez vs. McDonagh trade? McDonagh has double the points, 5 times as many goals, + 23, as a Dman and plays a ton of minutes on the best team in the league; let alone Gaborik’s production, the guy Gomez salary departure allowed them to aquire. Gomez could add the points from this years season to any other year he’s played with the habs and we’d still lose out on that trade.

• anotherhab says:

were aiming for seventh to play the bruins!!

6. ProHabs says:

Yaaahh. White and Shultz up on the team. Just what this team needs. Very happy to see the Smurf era finally being put to bed for good. And just in time for the Bruins. The Goat must have have had a T-bone steak on the BBQ today.

Grammy’s night so speaking of music… Is anybody going to see Deep Purple on their Canadian tour? Has anyone seen them last year?

I love the band but man, they are pushing what… 70? The show is sold out so I am wondering if they are worth the scalpers’ prices.

8. kmachabs27 says:

I love Eller, goodnight.

9. habs17 says:

also as i reported earlier this week my sources are telling me travis moen looks to be close to a done deal in going go to S.J

I support Scott Gomez

10. matt jordan says:

What are the Canadiens doing? Recalling forwards who played in the WHL…. Do White and Schultz even speak french?
    Why, please tell me, why is Gabriel Dumont, Phillipe Lefebre or Dany Masse still playing in Hamilton when they could be giving interviews to the Lapresse in perfect french? This is going against Gainey’s dream of using forward lines where the tallest player is 5-9. Outrage I say, outrage!

11. habs17 says:

wow best grammy’s ever I WILL ALWAYS LOVE YOU

I support Scott Gomez

12. H.Upmann says:

naked ass goalposts

13. anotherhab says:

A bigger trade than just Moen — think multi player blockbuster!!!

“I find your lack of faith disturbing” Darth V

Man, Grammy’;s music is so lame. Seriously. It’s like the Maple Leafs of music.

So, will Schultz be in a lineup? Who sits? Who got/is getting traded. Come on, HIO, do some investigative work for once.

16. anotherhab says:

WOW!! PG must be off his vegan diet!!!

“I find your lack of faith disturbing” Darth V

17. Hobie Hansen says:

Stop the press! Have the Canadiens actually started making rational hockey decisions?

Are they actually inserting two tough guys into the lineup a few days before playing the Boston Bruins?

We got rid of that smurf Cammalleri for a power forward in Bourque and now we’re putting White and Schultz into the lineup.

Good work Habs, it’s about time!

18. The Gonk says:

Curious call up for Schultz. I can’t say I follow the B-dogs so can anyone out there say what he can bring? Does he have NHL skating ability? Is he that Chris Nilan I’ve been waiting to see all these years? Hope springs eternal.

19. H.Upmann says:

That was a pretty good Jack Todd read! Kind of a surprise actually

20. Chuck says:

I was at the ‘Dogs game this afternoon and White looked like he’s good to go, though I hope that those 4 goals don’t go to his head and make him thing that he’s been called up to just put pucks in the back of the net. :)

Running with the San Jose rumour, they do have Freddie Hamilton, 6’1″ center who played for team Canada at world jr’s. Just a thought to keep feeding the rumour mill.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

I thought Freddie was good, but his brother sucked, and I remember being quite glad the Bruins picked him. Freddie looked good though.

“Andrei Kostitsyn will be traded this month”
      - Sean Bonjovi

• Chris says:

People said the same thing about Ryan McDonagh during his World Junior experience.

If I was a betting man, I would bet that you will ultimately regret the Bruins picking Dougie Hamilton. The kid is a great player.

22. habs17 says:

Does no one else believe in this team, that we can make the playoffs im not seeing the belieth in here DON’T STOP BELIEVING i never stopped believing that gomez would score and look what happen U GOTTA BELIEVE
    I support Scott Gomez

23. ooder says:

for his own healthy and safety i seriously hope shultz isn’t going to try and act tough against the bruins

——————
    The 2010-11 Stanley Cup was not won, but given

• 365fan says:

Schultz was one of the toughest guys in the WHL when he was there. Don’t worry about him. With he and White we might actually see a bit of pushback and it’s about time.

• ooder says:

the WHL and thorton, lucic and chara are not really comparable.
        I really hope that he could handle his own and show some toughness but just saying

——————
        The 2010-11 Stanley Cup was not won, but given

• krob1000 says:

It doesn’t have to be about winning the fight…if he is willing to go any one of those guys it means they won;t be pushing around other guys… that was why we were a diff’t team even with Wiz, Mara and White in the lineup. It meant someobody was willing to go them…mosttrue fighters don’t like fighting those guys who are middleweights either…it is a no win situation for them…they are fighting someone they should beat anyway, aren’t expected to fight and if they lose thye look real bad….it is a win win for the other guy…unless the really gets popped…but even then the team will appreciate it. With White and Schultz in the lineup there will be more room for the boys and it makes everyone a little tougher.

• Bill says:

Agreed, he’s not a heavyweight and not a particularly great fighter. Hopefully the Habs brought him up to play a physical game on the 4th line and not to try to be an enforcer … and hopefully he doesn’t think he has to.

Ryan White stuck because he showed he was a really good lower-line checker, not because he fought. Schultz needs to do the same.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• kempie says:

Shultz got seriously run over by Emelin at training camp. It’s the thing that comes to mind when I hear his name.

24. Trisomy 21 says:

White got into a little scuffle with Kadri, who I’m sure was being his cocky self and bit off more than he could chew.

It’s the 2nd fight and it’s short and not that great of a fight so you’ve been warned.

25. WestHab says:

The Hitmen commeth, White and Schlutz both ex Calgary Hitmen. today as a Calgary Hab fan I’m buzzed.

“Merci beaucoup.” Randy Cunnyworth

26. twocents says:

For those who like to suggest that Gauthier is just a continuation of the Gainey way, you are running out of material.

Gauthier has basically transformed the identity of this team in short time.

The Eller trade, the Emelin and Diaz signings, the Cole signing, the Cunneyworth appointment, the Bourque trade. Plus, throw in several timely acquisitions when a short term need has arisen. He has in no way just followed the template that was set. He has acted decisively and taken risks that not many GM’s would.

Not everything has been a huge hit, but I can’t think of one major bad move he has made. Other than the lack of class he has shown in some of his personnel moves.

• CanadienBoy says:

U last comment lack of class shown GM downfall but i agree it not all bad

• Trisomy 21 says:

I also have beefs with the Bourque trade, as I don’t feel he really shopped for the best deal when giving up Cammy, and I really don’t think Holland will be a factor in the AHL, since he’s racking up assists on a dominant WHL team. I believe you can throw in the Wisniewski deal too, because I think we got a great deal for a 2nd round pick, it was just too bad we couldn’t resign him and that he was more interested in money than playing in MTL. My biggest issue with his recent moves is how he resigned Markov long term but not Gorges, when he could have gotten a long term contract at a discount, and now Gorges is having one of his best years. So naturally we had to fork over about .5M more than we would have last summer. But you can’t win them all.

• twocents says:

The Gorges situation was a calculated risk. In my opinion, you can’t really compare his situation with Markov’s. Whatever Gorges is, he is not an elite talented player like Markov.

Even a physically compromised Markov can be a serious asset because his vision, reaction time and understanding of the game are at such a high level. A physically compromised Gorges becomes an easily replaced piece.

Don’t get me wrong I love Gorges and am really happy he has bounced back so well and is staying on. But, I can see why Gauthier hedged his bets.

As for the Bourque trade, so far so good in my opinion. I am not convinced you could have received a much better package. Bourque suits our needs, I am not ready to dismiss Holland until I see him play pro, and the 2nd is a nice throw in.

27. Kimberly2u says:

Tampa lost….yipeee

28. HabFanSince72 says:

Two contenders with horrible PKs are San Jose and Chicago.

Moen to SJ for their #2.

Gill plus our #2 to Chicago for their #1. And hope they continue to fall down the standings.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

29. Mr. Biter says:

Trying to do from a smart phone. About time Schultz comes up to see what ge can do.Should make Broon game very interesting. Not gonna miss it. Damb phone kegpads. Fat fingers and small key pad vad combo.

Mr. Biter
    No Guts No Glory

• HabFanSince72 says:

If Schultz is looking for a fight against the Bruins he might get hurt.

Badly.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

30. naweed235 says:

with the White and Schultz call ups I expect a blood bath against Boston…
    Love to see these combos for that game:

Cole – DD – MaxP
    Bourque – Pleks – Darche/Moen
    Kost – Eller – LL
    Schultz – Gomez – White

Gorges – PK
    Emelin – Kabs
    Diaz – Gill

31. Habby says:

Moen’s not going anywhere while injured. So unless he’s off the IR before the 27th, nothing’s happening.

And this article was a nice read, though it’s by Jack Todd: http://www.vancouversun.com/entertainment/Todd+Book+reveals+Selke+lifelong+passion+chickens/6141489/story.html

Loads of respect for the guys who brought the Cups to Montreal.

The drive for 25 is alive!

32. aj says:

I have a feeling the Habs shouldn’t trade Moen to Anaheim (if that’s the likely scenario). The quacks might get better even though they’re out of a playoff spot this yr. Moen might get better if he stays there long term next season.

EDIT: Trading Moen to San Jose is also a bad idea IMO.

Eklund has Moen to San Jose e3 , (as db pointed out) so we know he ain’t going there. 4th period seems less high on him moving. Each as reliable as our guesses.

34. Kooch7800 says:

Good for white though in 5 games he had had two goal games twice…..good on em

35. Kooch7800 says:

I have a feeling this is it for Moen with schultz coming up. White could have filled in but there is obviously a trade coming. No one got sent down so there is no reason to bring both up with Paulisj is still up along with LL….trade will happen by Tues for sure

• aj says:

Hard to tell whether there will be a trade coming up soon. White could fill in what’s needed in the 3rd or 4th line. Same way as Schultz. But I don’t think it can be a reason for Gauthier to make a call for a trade with Moen.

36. habs17 says:

every game is huge we win tmmrw 5 points back and defintley back in the hunt with a huge game againts the B’s

I support Scott Gomez

37. Bill says:

Schultz is an odd call-up, but he’s obviously a much-better fit on the 4th line than, say, Palushaj.

I guess Moen will be out a while? Hopefully not past the trade deadline though. Actually I’d be just as happy to see him resign in Montreal, but if the cap doesn’t fit … he must exit. Preferably with a return.

Full Breezer 4 Life

38. HabFanSince72 says:

San Jose has the 26th PK in the league. Moen is probably our number 2 PK forward after Plex.

Makes sense, but what can we reasonably expect in return?

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

I would guess a draft choice, or at least I doubt anyone off their roster. Have no knowledge of their prospects.

• Mark C says:

Sharks’ have one of the worst prospect pools in the league. In fact, theirs could be the worst.

• aj says:

I was just looking at their lineup and the prospects pool: Pathetic! We’re going to trade Moen to a team with 0 gains in return? Like what? A 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th draft pick? They’re not going to give their 1st or 2nd round draft and seriously, PG should stay away from this team. Maybe Anaheim or LA would be the best possible California NHL team to make trades.

EDIT: Just to add what I said, the Habs right now are looking for a big Center that will help them in their top 6 lineup. The only best possible trade the Habs can get out of San Jose is Logan Couture. But he’s on entry level and an RFA. Joe Pavelski is too short to fill that role the Habs are seeking for right now.

• Chris says:

No way we get him, but Taylor Doherty is an impressive prospect. Well, he impressed the heck out of me the few times I saw in in the OHL. He’s still a couple of years away as he adjusts to speed of professional hockey, but he’s definitely intriguing.

• Kooch7800 says:

currently Darche is our number 2 pk guy with Pleks….doing well at it as well. Bourque has also been good on the PK but no one mentions him for some reason

39. novahab says:

Shultz is not a goon he shown he can play in the Western league. White and Shults can make a great forth line who will centre them.

40. novahab says:

Wow we just got tough enough, let kick some ass boys. I do smell trade ,i think Moen;s days in Montreak are over. If they are I want to say thank you to a honest player ,that came to play ever night.

41. Kimberly2u says:

Tampa is losing….good for us

42. Phil C says:

I wonder if the Shultz call up is because of the Toronto game. Brown almost took out both Cole and Eller in that game with predatory-type hits. He took a run a PK at the end as well, but PK was smart enough not to go in the corner with him. I was thinking that Brown was going to hurt someone and its too bad the Habs didn’t have someone to put him back in line. I guess now they do. I wonder who will sit for both White and Shultz to draw in?

43. mb says:

Montréal Canadiens@CanadiensMTLReply
    Retweet Favorite Open

#Habs call up forwards Ryan White and Ian Schultz. Both players Will be at practice Monday.

So in the time honored tradition of players/coaches putting money on the board when facing their former team, who puts more money up Kaberle or Spacek. I don’t include Muller since that isn’t allowed (Ron Wilson was caught on camera giving cash to player). I figure Kirk puts up double the amount of Spatch.

45. aj says:

I love it when a former Habs player like Spacek speaks their own mind and not care at all: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=387648

Even Kirk Muller was honest to tell his feeling in front of the media.

I check RDS website, they don’t have any video report on the latest comments Spacho did today. Maybe later, however, they do have a report on both him and Muller’s homecoming: http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/335147.html

46. CharlieHodgeFan says:

Guys. let’s pool our money and buy Yannick Weber a hot dog stand.

Then we can have Chez Weber.

47. HabFab says:

Did any of the HIO Montreal branch catch JT and Kevin on CJAD today talking about RC’s chances of coming back next season?

48. HabFab says:

Graduating 2012 Prospects;

Gallagher 31+32 39GP RW
    Holland 20+52 54GP RW
    Bournival 25+21 29GP C

Beaulieu 8+30 41GP D
    Ellis 12+29 49GP D
    Tinordi 1+14 36GP D
    Pateryn 2+12 32GP D
    Kishel 3+14 29GP D

49. Mike D says:

So, the Rags helped us out by beating Washington in regulation this afternoon. Hopefully the Pens can do the same to T-bay and keep them behind us in the standings.

I still don’t think there will be any playoffs for us this year, but if we can keep rolling, it becomes more of a possibility. And I’d LOVE to give it to everyone who’s given it to me this year over the Habs woes. Comes with the territory I guess considering I live in Ontario. Would be especially great if we beat the Leafs on Apr. 7 to solidify our playoff spot and knock them out of the post season at the same time.

- Honestly yours

• smiler2729 says:

Knockin’ the Laffs out of playoffs is almost as sweet as winning a Cup… almost.

__________________________________
      Jack Edwards is a clam, Bruins are pukes.

50. Habsrule1 says:

I’ll be at the game tomorrow night.

Anyone else on here?

Go Habs Go!!

51. DorvalTony says:

Congrats to Theo for his 275th career victory today.

52. HabFanSince72 says:

Good news: Rangers helped us by beating the Caps.

Bad News: First Star, Ryan McDonaugh.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

53. habs001 says:

Not counting the nfl because they play limited games i wonder what is the playoff record of teams in hockey,baseball and basketball that went on a tremendous run to make the playoffs in the last 25 games..momentum can be great but it seems that some teams who made the playoff from an impossible position collapsed once the playoff started as they had nothing left…

54. habs001 says:

Looks like 3 playoff spots available for ottawa,toronto,washington,buffalo,winnipeg,florida,tampa,islanders,carolina and montreal…one of those spots will go to the southeast division winner…so basically 9 teams fighting for 2 spots..

55. habsperspective says:

Seriously, Markov is not soft. But why does anyone think hell ever be back. Isnt it clear, hes been a distraction all year, and is never going to come back.

I think this Markov skating crap, is just the organization trying to save face. And once the HABS have been officially eliminated from the post season, the story will change to. In that theres no reason to bring him back this season, so they wait another year to really tell us the truth hes not coming back. Or hell play an exihibition game and hell go down with another injury, as another way of covering up the reality.

I dont trust Gauthier, I dont trust Molson even. There gonna protect there investment with loads of political rhetoric. I wish they would just man-up, and tell the truth. They screwed up.

Cause honestly, im not so certain anymore that if it was not having Markov in the lineup all season, as opposed to the distraction all around of the idea, he was going to be there, that this team didnt achieve its goals.

Thankfully you started that post with such positivity.

I guess I believe in Markov the player, he believes he will be back. Seeing him in the interviews with the setback at training camp you could see how pissed off he was. I believe he is a man of his word and has every intention of coming back.

• powdered toastmann says:

Agree…I don’t believe he is soft in terms of avoiding contact…on the other hand I don’t think initiating contact is/was his style. I do believe if he comes back he will be fragile…(age and injury history together conspiring to probably limit any comeback to a short one, if not, an ineffective one).

Agree that Hab’s mgmnt has not been honest and straight up with the fans but then again, their main focus shouldn’t be on ensuring short term gratification of the fan base, but ensuring the best for the team. That said, like you, I don’t trust mgmnt (Gauthier) and would like him to be elsewhere come next season

56. matt jordan says:

Despite the Canadiens recent success, I still think the Canadiens should try to move some assets at the trade deadline. Even under the best case scenario the Canadiens will be looking up towards eighth place at the trade deadline. I’d rather the Canadiens see what they can get for players like Campoli, Gill, Weber, Moen or AK. Its terrible business to try for a playoff spot and let veterans leave by free agency for nothing.

If Gill or Campoli can fetch prospects or picks, GONE. Gill will be coveted by every contender in the NHL as he’s relatively cheap, on a one year contract and one of the best penalty killers in the league. Campoli is a similar scenario, simply a depth option for a contending team.

I hope Kaberle can be dealt as well, there seems to be a belief he still has some value and could fetch a mid level draft pick. Some people think in Kaberle’s case the Habs should keep him and gamble for next year that he can return to his previous levels as a point producing power play quarterback. He’s only one year removed from the Leafs getting a first round pick and a top prospect from the Bruins at the trade deadline. In a lot of ways that makes sense, but I think the Habs can better use the cap space, and I hate the way Kaberle plays defense, so GONE (if possible).

Moen and AK…. tough to decide what to do with these two. Both are good players, but the Canadiens have to see what their worth is at the deadline. Both players could command a high draft pick, as teams like the Kings are desperate for offense (AK), and teams like the Canucks are desperate for toughness (moen).

Basically i want the Canadiens to start stockpiling draft picks as it puts assets in the hands of the most competant person in this organization, Trevor Timmins. The past years to many picks were traded for rentals (Moore, Wiz, Tanguay) than let go for nothing.

• HardHabits says:

Preaching to the choir. ;-)

• vegas says:

Moen hasn’t played during their recent run.
      His value is probably at his highest since he’s been with the Habs and I think White can do what he does and even better
      would love to see a combo go out for a 1st, Moen and a 2nd?
      Ak, make him the offer that you think is appropriate prior to Feb 27 and if there is reason to believe a deal can be made then do it or else move him.
      The other guys probably won’t affect the teams play
      Gill and Campoli can move on for all I care
      play 6 D
      Gorges / Pk
      Emelin / Diaz
      Kaberle / Webber
      St Denis gets called up as 7th
      If we get lucky Markov joins us within a month

My biggest fear is the team getting any complacency as they approach the Carolina game. Based on our place in the standings there is no team that can be tKen for granted. In fact opposite is almost true as we have beaten some of the top teams in the league and lost to many of the perceived worst.

• mb says:

I fear that too. I just hope that they learned from previous games ealrier in the season where they didn’t seem to take their opponent too seriously. But I think they realize that if they want to be back in the race, every single game is important now. Doesn’t matter if the team they play against is first or last in the league, they have to be at their best.

58. Bertuzzi says:

If Gomez is going to score in one year ever win now would be great for his goal.

59. Captain aHab says:

All right, let’s say the owners get their amnesty clause and can buy out a contract without penalty. Is it definitely Gomez for the Habs or would some think Kaberle?
    —————-
    McGuire for GM!
    Roy for Coach!
    Sh*t for Brains!

• caladin says:

Gomez for sure. Gomez is the most clearly overpaid player in the NHL right now, bar none.

____________________

Keep Hope Alive

• Mike D says:

True. But not the worst contract in the NHL by any means. That (dis)honour belongs to the idiotically sought-after Vinny L.

Not too far behind are Luongo and Pronger. Then Carter, Kovalchuk, and Ovechkin (if he doesn’t get his game back and keep it).

- Honestly yours

• Propwash says:

Kovalchuk’s contract is quite a doozie as well.

*edit* saw you added to your post after

_____________________________
          Don’t let the wultures getcha.

• Psycho29 says:

I think the Yashin contract is the worst. Isn’t that Milbury’s doing?
          Yashin hasn’t played for the Isles since 2006-07 and they are paying him for another couple of years:

From Wikipedia:
          “The Islanders decided to buy out the remainder of Yashin’s contract in June 2007, according to a report in Newsday.
          The contract was bought out for $17.63 million, or two-thirds of the amount left on the contract, to be paid out over eight years at a rate of $2.2 million per year.”

• CanadienBoy says:

Forgetting Lecavalier , Diepitro and that really stupid one to that goalies in Philly

• DorvalTony says:

Kovalchuk 50GP 22G 30A 52 Pts
          Lecavalier 54GP 21 G 24 A 45 Pts
          Ovechkin 52GP 23G 21A 44 Pts
          Carter 34GP 12G 7A 19Pts
          Luongo 37GP 2213Mins 2.39GAA 22W 10L 6OTL 2SOL .919SP
          Gomez 26GP 1G 7A 8Pts

See that’s the thing about the Internet. It’s like a Hyde Park soapbox where crazy people can say anything, usually driven by some personal problem/crisis, bias, bigotry or grudge.

Vinny Lecavalier. The AntiChrist! lol

• Psycho29 says:

Good for you Tony…..Recognizing a problem exists is the first step. :-)

• CanadienBoy says:

lecavalier is dead done this years is just a flash and where is the team u the narrow minded one 10 mil wake up smell the coffee of all the player above OV the only one but he can not carry his team like Crosby

• Bill says:

DIPIETRO

Full Breezer 4 Life

• petrov14 says:

Add Wade Redden as well.

______________________________________
          Long live Captain Gionta.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Nope – Gomez is the worst.

He is clearly the worst forward on the Habs right now. Certainly he is not as useful to the team as Darche. Rookie Louis Leblanc is better than Gomez in every facet of the game. Even when Blunden returns Gomez will likely be the worst forward on the team.

He brings exactly zero to the team. No offence. No defence. Nothing, unless you count jokes, which I don’t.

There is no other team whose highest earner is also their worst player.

Vincent Lecavalier is worse? You can’t be serious. He has 21 goals and 45 points in 54 games. He would be the top scorer on the Habs.

Ovie, Kovalchuk, Carter may be somewhat overpaid. Gomez is overpaid by the amount of his contract. In other words he deserves a salary of $0.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• Mike D says:

As I said, Gomer is the most overpaid right NOW, but there are worse contracts in the league….quite a few actually.

I’m completely serious about Vinny’s CONTRACT being worse than Gomez’s. At least Gomer’s is up in two years. Vinny is signed until 2020, at which time he’ll be 40 years old, AND at a higher cap hit than Gomez. Vinny LeWorstContractInHockey,Eh?

- Honestly yours

• ESundy36 says:

I would keep Gomez and his one year left in a heartbeat and jettison Kaberle’s two years left without a second thought.

• Mike D says:

Gomer without a doubt. He’s more expensive to Molson and his cap hit is more of a hindrance on the team. Kabs may not be great defensively but he puts up decent points and is a more trade-able player. I don’t want to keep Kabs for the remaining 2 years on his contract after this season, but 4.25mil isn’t as much of an anchor for a Dman that can still put up points at a good rate.

- Honestly yours

• Viruk42 says:

Probably Gomez, but maybe neither.

One thing about Kaberle though…not sure if anyone’s noticed, but he has 13pts in 21 games with Montreal alongside a +2. That means he’s on pace for a 51 point season. If you take his 21 games in Montreal to 56 (Habs games played), he’d have ~35 points. That would put him 6th in the NHL among Dmen, with 2nd place only 4 ahead.

If he keeps this up (and I’m not saying he will), then he might just earn his salary. It is pretty much on pace for his career norm, excluding his time in the US. Over his entire career (552pts in 958gp) he’s averaged 0.576 ppg, and with the Habs so far he’s at 0.619 ppg.

• Captain aHab says:

He seems to be well-liked in the room and is playing better. Does that play any part in it?

—————-
      McGuire for GM!
      Roy for Coach!
      Sh*t for Brains!

• rnnoble says:

I think it definitely plays a part in it, but not a 7.3 Million dollar part. He is playing better, and he looks like an all around legitimately good guy, but 7.3 Million dollars is a ton of money.

60. SmartDog says:

Is it just me or does Spacek look REALLY happy?

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

61. HabFab says:

Notice that JT aka Leigh Ann is appearing along with Kevin on the Locker Room at 6pm EST for you Montreal listeners.

62. HabFab says:

Stubbs tweets;
    “Spacek says he misses atmosphere in Bell: “When you’re winning, hearing ‘Olé, olé, olé’… but I don’t want to hear that Monday!”

63. HabFab says:

Ryan White has 2 more goals this afternoon, that makes 4 in 4 games, believe he is ready to come back!

64. novahab says:

If Markov is going to play in two week ever win now would be great for his return. Also they may have a PP again when he comes back.Then how good will this team be. Any word when Gionta is coming back.

65. novahab says:

Forget about Spacek just use it as moto to win . That the best way to shut him up and make him look bad,

66. novahab says:

I just can’t get mad at Gomez. Yes he not performing as he should but he is a good guy. He like a old boxer whos been knocked down and you cheer for him to get up.I think Gomez’s nick name now should be little rocky.

67. Bripro says:

Captain Kirk is back.
    Too bad he’s behind the wrong bench. What a great guy and IMO a very good coach.
    And I almost felt bad for Sundin, Domi and company last night.
    What a pasting…..
    You’ll notice I said “almost”.
    It’s gotta be this mini winning streak.
    I’M AN EMOTIONAL WRECK!!!!

68. naweed235 says:

I hope that fat waste of cap hit gets booed outta the Bell Center… “I am so happy to be out of that circus they call Montreal” … pfft…
    probably a lil harsh but man I can’t stand players that run their mouths as soon as they get traded… Same goes for Guidoone when he left… I understand there is frustrations and personal stuff going on behind closed doors but when you get paid by an organization millions of dollars for playing a “GAME”, you shut your mouth and stay professional when you are shown the door…
    As a contrast, even with the horrible way he got traded, Cammi was all class and all he did was thank the fans and nothing negative…

• HabFab says:

And why did he say that?

• mb says:

In an interview a couple of weeks ago, he talked about the whole combination of the team’s bad record + the media coverage + the coaching language issue (“all that crap” were his words) + the fans. He then summed it up saying it was a big mess and that it had become a circus.

• HabFab says:

So he wasn’t dissing the Habs or their fans.

• Mike D says:

Correct. His comments were not directed at the club at all. They were directed at the circus surrounding the Habs (mostly media, and the idiots that protested in front of the Bell Centre about RC not speaking french).

- Honestly yours

• mb says:

I didn’t get that impression, personally. I’d say Mike D’s post below is very similar to my thoughts about the whole thing.

I think Spacek was a very good team guy, so I don’t get why he would diss his former teammates, or fans.

EDIT: Ok, I type too slow. Make it Mike D’s posts below AND above.

• Mike D says:

lol.

You’re right mb. Spacek was a very good team guy. Extremely well-liked and respected in the room by all accounts. A fave of his teammates for his good nature and humour from the reports I’ve read by HIO staff.

- Honestly yours

• HabFab says:

Thanks people, my point exactly to naweed235 ;)

• Psycho29 says:

Probably because it is a circus here….for the most part…

• matt jordan says:

I guess the difference is Cammi called the Canadiens losers before he was traded.

• Da Hema says:

Yeah, Cammalleri is “all class.” Not. I have certainly been critical of Gomez, but I cannot recall one instance where his frustrations led to criticism of his teammates, the organization, or the fans — unlike the “classy” Cammalleri.

Edit: by the way Matt, this post is directed to naweed235 above, not you.

• Trisomy 21 says:

No, you’ve got it wrong, Cammalleri didn’t call the team “losers” that’s Francois Gagnon stirring shit up, contributing to the circus. He said they have a losing mentality. Arpon Basu even said so. Cammy did nothing but tell it like it is, and he didn’t even say it insultingly.

• mb says:

I dont know… I agree that saying that wasn’t the smartest thing to do, but there was some truth to it (the whole minute or so of interview).

I think he said out loud what some players are thinking. As for the “I’m happy to be outta here” comment, like I stated, not too smart, for sure.

• The Cat says:

What Spacek said wasnt that bad or shocking…It is a circus. And thats not the habs fault usually; its the fans and the media’s fault.

• naweed235 says:

I’m not saying he didn’t have a point… but it’s easy to rant about the organization as soon as you are traded but it takes a true professional to just swallow it and take the high road… it’s the concept of not biting the hand that feeds you !
        If he was in any other organization his a$s would’ve probably been buried in the minors somewhere…

• Mike D says:

Not even remotely close to being accurate, naweed.

- Honestly yours

• naweed235 says:

which part?

• Mike D says:

All of it.

- Honestly yours

• naweed235 says:

so you are ok with players leaving and shlting all over the Habs on their way out and further solidify the image that unfortunately most players in the league have of Mtl and most often than not stops them from signing here?

• Mike D says:

Are you being dense on purpose? How much naweed are you smoking? DUDE, Spacek didn’t dis the Habs! How many freakin times does it have to be said before you realize it. Read my post below, among many others in this sub-thread pointing out your misinterpretation.

You think NHL players needed a short clip of Spacek’s comments to realize that playing in Montreal means pressure, media attention, and being under a microscope (aka circus)? What, you don’t think people in the league caught wind of that stupid protest in front of the Bell over RC not speaking french?

The primary reasons certain players don’t sign in Montreal is the taxes (which the team can’t do anything about other than overpay to compensate), and the scrutiny. Spacek’s comments didn’t contribute to either problem. Molson could do a lot to alleviate much of the undue scrutiny and negative attention if he could find his balls and throw a big middle finger in the face of those who like to use HIS 550 million dollar investment as a means to their own political agendas and personal biases by telling everyone that the team’s only priority is winning. Instead he puts his tail between his legs and cuts his coach’s legs out from under him at the same time by issuing a public apology.

- Honestly yours

• canadiens26 says:

It is two sided. In my opinion this great franchise has become a tad bit classless this season. The three examples that stick out are; throwing the coach under the bus before giving him a chance, apologizing to the fans for not having a french coach (grow a set Molson) and trading a player during a game. The Montreal Canadiens have always been one of the classiest sport franchises but this season has become a joke, IMO.

• mount royal says:

French speaking; not French!!!

• mb says:

Thank you! I hate to be picky, but it kinda irks me everytime I hear or read about French players and coaches. There is not a single French person in the NHL right now. French speaking people, though!

• Chris says:

Only because Stephane Da Costa was demoted to Binghampton! ;)

• mb says:

Oops! Yah of course! No way I would have forgotten Da Costa if he were still playing ;)
            Honestly, I had Huet in mind, but he doesn’t longer play in the league either.

• powdered toastmann says:

This “lack of class” that the organization has shown recently is totally reflective of the lack of class (for the most part) demonstrated by the Habs ownership/current and recent upper management. It is embarrassing.

• Mike D says:

You misinterpreted what Spacek meant when he said that.

He was showing his empathy for his former teammates and coach for the “circus” they are dealing with….IE the media/fan hysteria about RC not speaking french and the team’s record as well. “Happy to be outta there” meant away from that nonsense, NOT no longer being a Hab.

What Spatch did is completely different than what Guimauve did and what Grabo did recently.

If you had any insight into Spatcho’s character over the 2.5 years he was here, you would have known better.

- Honestly yours

• smiler2729 says:

He was also treated with absolutely no class by Goats when he was traded. What he said didn’t offend many, he spoke the truth.

__________________________________
      Jack Edwards is a clam, Bruins are pukes.

• JUST ME says:

He just said what everyone else thinks . Too often the fit hits the shan because of events outside of the rink that have nothing to do with what they are paid for. Language issue,media divas,franchise long history and what not ? Look how they are performing now that there is no pressure other than to stay alive.
      Medias have all given up and are suddenly opening their eyes to day to day performances,The anglo guy behind the bench may not be that bad after all and the boys are playing with heart and their natural abilities.

If the shoe fits then assume it ! Hate the pre-recorded message we get most of the time and for once someone like Spacek tells it as it is,we should listen and maybe learn lessons …

69. Gillings says:

Kirk, Tell your boys they are LOOSING tonight :D

70. habs17 says:

lets go habs we win this and we are 5 points back

I support Scott Gomez

71. mb says:

True. I remember a lot of players and reporters saying he was always in a good mood and he was a very good presence in the room.