Captain Gionta debuts on TSN, RDS

A beaming Brian Gionta yesterday, named the 28th captain of the Canadiens.
Peter McCabe, Gazette

AUDIO from morning skate: Lars Eller | Jeff Halpern | Alex Henry

Canadiens fans get their first look at Brian Gionta in the captain’s jersey tonight when the Habs take on the Buffalo Sabres at home. Game time is 7:30 pm on both TSN and RDS.

goalie Alex Auld is expected to play 60 minutes (or longer) tonight in the Canadiens’ final preseason game at the Bell Centre. The team has one more to play, Saturday at the Pepsi Colisée in Quebec City vs. the Islanders. Auld will be backed up by Carey Price.

The lines as they skated this morning under the watchful eye of Pat Hickey:

Benoit Pouliot – Scott Gomez – captain Brian Gionta
Tom Pyatt – Jeff Halpern – Maxim Lapierre
Mathieu Darche – Lars Eller – Andrei Kostitsyn
Dustin Boyd – Ryan White – Ben Maxwell

On D: Jaro Spacek – P.K. Subban / Ryan O’Byrne – Alex Henry / Alexandre Picard – Yannick Weber

Boone blogs live

1. habbyone says:

Start Pice against the weaker teams so he can build up some confidence. Would hate to see him get shelled tonight and have to go for therapy after the game.

2. Chuck says:

Now that Gionta’s officially Captain, does this mean that he inherits the slot of “last onto the ice, tap the pads”?

3. Jordio-oh says:

what is this, last week?

move along.

4. adam76 says:

100 – 1, I like it!

5. HabsMitch says:

Should be a fun one guys

6. wotever says:

YM Hawks – Halaks.

I couldn’t pass this up.

It’s just a game.

7. habs001 says:

it will be great when we have pk and markov in the line up in the same time..i am concerned that spacek,hammer,gill,obyrne and gorges have real problems when they face big and fast forwards who forecheck…. they same to have real problems getting the puck out of our zone…i think we need one more d who can carry the puck out and has some foot speed…i believe we can finish 3rd in the east as we should have a very good chance in winning the division…the team i dislike the most in the division is the leafs and they will finish last but for some reason they have the type of forwards that give us problems..

8. mike g says:

You silly wabbit..

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

9. Everlasting1 says:

Be sure to catch the battle of the West game.. Hawks – Blues tonight :-)

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

10. Bugs says:

Oh.

Well, 7 times is too many; you’re right.

But we got those three animals all year long, no injuries?

Fuhgeddabowdit.

Reprovingly reproof-proof, here sits

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Assistant Head Honcho to what goes down in Chinatown, Big Cheese at Flannelcorp Media, and Lead Copy-boy at Habsbros Hard Data Factory: http://habsbros.blogspot.com

11. Bugs says:

Ok, first of all, it’s Poolio now, not Pou-pou. That shipped sailed. We’ve innovated and moved on. Suggest you follow suit.

Secondly, yes. I think he will save your career here.

Which is kind of unfortunate, really, cuz I woulda finally been spared your silliness.

Haaa! Oh, I’m on FIRE today!

Reprovingly reproof-proof, here sits

12. habsfanincalgary says:

The team was shutout 7 times!  And one of the more humiliating ones included a loss to TO!

13. HabFab says:

Please sir, may I have seconds?

14. habfan53 says:

yeah  Remember he and Hammer signed for almost the same amount and length. Sheldon was -28 his last year here and Roman was +21

15. pic1983 says:

Yeah you almost get the sense that the 2010-2011 Montreal Canadiens are going to be road warriors.

16. bwoar says:

Defensemen should be able to play defense.

17. bwoar says:

It’s be nice if the home ice attracted a crowd that supported the home team.  The players themselves have recently said so.

Mike, -I did not remember that the Oilers got that badly screwed, Ok then a quarter of his salary. And still I would not take him.

19. secretdragonfly says:

Except tonight’s game is in Montreal.

20. light_n_tasty says:

11 > 5

21. flowerpower_74 says:

I agree with Darche sentiment about using him a little more to keep him a little more involved in the game.

But, what do you think about using Pacioretty as a D-man in the AHL this year to prepare him for that position in the future? He makes a good first pass, has a decent shot and can dish out the hits as well….it worked with Markov.

Habs will gel as a team.

22. mike g says:

Hey Bugsy..

What do you think about my ultimatum involving your boy Benny Pou-pou?

Think he will come through and save my HIO career?

(Not asking if you WANT him to, but IF he will)

lol..

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

I have to get one of those, wonder whats on the other side of the toast.?

24. terrygain says:

I hope Carey is not as worried about how he will perform as you are.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Did anyone notice how those Maple Leaf fans are such sheep? They support management no matter what. It’s no wonder they haven’t won in 43 years.

25. Mattyleg says:

No way.

He’s a walking hospital-ward.

And you worry about other d-men’s defensive sides?

People’s memories are short.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

26. Bill J says:

I will echo everyone else’s posts.

Nice knowing ya Mike.

Your first prediction/ultimatum was realistic, this one is well… Not so much realistic.

27. G-Man says:

Not for a second. Souray is an expensive pylon. Seems you forgot what Spacek did to Ovechkin during the playoffs. Ditto for Hamrlik playing too many minute once Markov went down. Teams do not win with only young players. Unless they’re in juniors, of course.

28. habfan53 says:

Ian   1/2 his salary would still be 2.75 mil.  Other than his shot from the point he has nothing to offer. And towards the end of last year we saw what that gave us with MAB at  1/4 of the price

29. avatar_58 says:

It’s pretty bad that the habs home games don’t help our own players, but instead hinder them.

30. Bugs says:

Last year, K Senior missed 23 games or whatnot. Not too mention how many games Cammy and Gio missed.

Shut out too many times? How many times did we get shut out? 3? 4? 5??

That’s not too many times.

Those three animals avoid injuries all season, it’ll be even less.

Faut avoir la foi, nom de Dieu!

Reprovingly reproof-proof, here sits

I would take him at half his salary for a 7th D only. He might help out the kids in Hamilton.!

But really I say no thank you.

32. Storm Man says:

Nice knowing you :)….. Guess I will see you in the HIO ESPN League.

33. mike g says:

I’m sorry if I said that, and didn’t follow up on my word…

But I was young and stupid back then. Now I’m much older and wiser.

We all say and do dumb things when were young, no?

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

34. Chuck says:

Technically, no, since the franchise wasn’t known as the Maple Leafs for the first two cups, and it think that it was a separate franchise (the kept a bunch of the same players for the following season) that won their “first” cup.

Even on a lot of the Leafs marketing stuff they recognize only 11 cups, though that have banners for 13 hanging in the ACC.

35. NafSbah says:

Not sure if its been mentioned, but very classy of the Habs to name Gionta captain before heading “home” to Buffalo, as its the closest city to Rochester.

36. habfan53 says:

The responses have been one of the VERY few times that we ALL agree

37. Say Ash says:

Awe, c’mon, man. Suck it up, buttercup! What’s he gonna do? Just play the away games? I’d rather see him get the minutes in, even if he gets lit. You don’t get better sitting in the rafters next to Darche – and even that guy’s playing.

38. habaddict_andy says:

Scott Gomez to Montreal Media “You’re a pain in the neck, but you’re our pain in the neck.”

39. SeriousFan09 says:

Therapy Days in Tampa work a different way though, the players sit down in Group Therapy and talk out how the place slowly takes a piece of their soul they feel they can’t get back playing to a half-empty arena with a good portion of the fans cheering for the other guys and the rest are there because the free food vouchers with the tickets makes it cheaper to feed the family than Mickey D’s.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

40. habsfanincalgary says:

Anyone know how AK46 has been doing in the preseason?  After Cammy and Gio, I’m concerned about scoring.  Last year, the team was shutout too many times…AK is going to be a key to the team’s success…

41. habaddict_andy says:

I’d take him over Halak.

42. habsfanincalgary says:

I think the booming shot would replace MAB’s role from last year.  And if it was for $1 million, then perhaps I’d consider it.  I did a quick lookup on his stats and in a Habs uniform, he has never played an entire season:

19,52,34,63,74,81…

He’s fragile, but his shot would definitely help any PP.

43. light_n_tasty says:

Even the Laffs have more than that.

44. Storm Man says:

Next……

45. mbplekfan says:

Proper decision to keep Price away from the home crowd.  If he has a bad night the boo-birds will get on him and that doesnt help anyone.

Save him for a laugher vs the Islanders and start the season with a confident goalie.

Last chance for the late cuts. They will get icetime and that will put pressure on the goalie.

I hope White and Henry make the team.

46. habfan53 says:

NEVER  Hamerlik with all his flaws is better defensively and Spacek is just better. Plus GOD forbid if you pick him up off waivers that would be around 5 miliion on the cap hit (so no money).

47. pic1983 says:

I guess they didnt want to embarass the bruins before coming to play a game there in stating that we’ve won 24.

48. Say Ash says:

Souray could never cover OV like Shpatch did.

49. Propwash says:

He’s pretty much washed up these days. No thanks.

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

50. Chuck says:
    “4. Team captain Zdeno Cháro, who will play in Belfast on Saturday…”
    Cuchi cuchi!
  51. Bugs says:

If I were that ex-pat, I’d go to the Telegraph offices with my fully modified M-16 carbine and clear out the rabble room by room. Call it reader feedback.

THAT’ll teach’em to do some research, boy.

Reprovingly reproof-proof, here sits

52. adam76 says:

someone who posts controversial and usually irrelevant or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum or chat room, with the intention of baiting other users into an emotional response[1] or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

53. mike g says:

News from Tampa:

“Add G Cedrik Desjardins and D Mattias Ohlund to the increasing list of players kept off the ice for injury reasons. Desjardins has some weakness in his abdominal and groin muscles. Ohlund missed his second day of practice for “body maintenance” purposes…D Matt Smaby, who had concussion-like symptoms last week following a fight with Dallas C Brian Sutherby, has resumed practicing.- Tampa Tribune

Alrighty then, Stevie Y. Look, we know all about your master plan down there in Tampa. We know that you are the almighty saviour, that you can break any rules in the NHL and get away with it, that we must praise everything you do, etc…

But “body maintenance”? Really, are you now trying to invent your own terminologies?

Stevie, what’s wrong with the often used “therapy day”?

C’mon man, lets get serious…

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

54. punkster says:

FREE TIMO!

55. Chuck says:

I’d go so far as to say that if Adam76 had the cajones get a photo of my avatar in front of Roy, and Roy disapproved of it, I’d willingly change it to something else… like a photo of the beat-down that Adam would get from Roy for bothering him over something so petty.  :)

56. avatar_58 says:

We have Subban and Markov for shots, Spacek occasionally too. No need for Souray, as the rest are defensive d-men.

57. Number31 says:

It’s a Bettman plot. They only count for reals south of the border.

58. adam76 says:

IF the oilers pay 50%, I would take Souray over Spacek.

59. Rugger says:

Even the Laffs have won more cups than the Bruins!

60. RGM says:

Pass on that one. He’s a shadow of his former self, which wasn’t that great to begin with. Amazing how Markov can make people around him look much better than they actually are.

61. Bugs says:

Sadly agree.

Reprovingly reproof-proof, here sits

62. Say Ash says:

Lucky, indeed.

63. Danno says:

‘Twas a magically delicious article.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

64. Fab K says:

Yes, and on TSN…

65. TorontoHabsFan says:

If I’m not mistaken, Edmonton would be on the hook for half his salary if he’s claimed on re-entry waivers. I think at $2.7m he’s pretty attractive to a lot of teams.

No way we can do it I’m afraid unless we demote salary or make a salary dump trade.

66. Bugs says:

What an ungrateful prig, this guy. After you graciously propose to get a picture for him and everything, pff…

How can you work with him? People like that should get their tires slashed.

Just sayin.

Reprovingly reproof-proof, here sits

67. SeriousFan09 says:

He’s a sieve and is becoming increasingly fragile with age, pass. We want a slapshot with no defence, ask MAB how he feels about suiting up for another season.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

68. canada4l says:

maybe on re-entry waivers, where we only have to pay half his salary.  No way at full pay/cap hit

69. light_n_tasty says:

I remeber in April, for the Flyers’ second last game of the season, you said you would never post again if they lost to the Rangers.  If the Flyers won that game, the Habs would clinch.  But they lost.  They blew an early lead and lost to the Rangers.  Yet you are still here.

That said, I recognize that the Flyers beat the Rangers the following game in the infamous Chokinen shootout, but by that time it didn’t matter, because the Habs had already clinched.

The point is, you said you would go away and you didn’t.

Just sayin’.

70. Rugger says:

At his pay and health?  No way, loved him when he was here, but that was then.

71. Say Ash says:

The article only has one comment and it’s some Habs expat correcting that fact.

72. mike g says:

The wonders of generations and generations of passed down alcohol abuse…

Very special place, Ireland is..

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

73. christophor says:

“11The Bruins have won the prestigious Stanley Cup five times, the second highest of any NHL team. The Detroit Red Wings have 11 titles.”

Edit: Always Second…no third