Captain Gionta debuts on TSN, RDS

A beaming Brian Gionta yesterday, named the 28th captain of the Canadiens.
Peter McCabe, Gazette

AUDIO from morning skate: Lars Eller | Jeff Halpern | Alex Henry

Canadiens fans get their first look at Brian Gionta in the captain’s jersey tonight when the Habs take on the Buffalo Sabres at home. Game time is 7:30 pm on both TSN and RDS.

goalie Alex Auld is expected to play 60 minutes (or longer) tonight in the Canadiens’ final preseason game at the Bell Centre. The team has one more to play, Saturday at the Pepsi Colisée in Quebec City vs. the Islanders. Auld will be backed up by Carey Price.

The lines as they skated this morning under the watchful eye of Pat Hickey:

Benoit Pouliot – Scott Gomez – captain Brian Gionta
Tom Pyatt – Jeff Halpern – Maxim Lapierre
Mathieu Darche – Lars Eller – Andrei Kostitsyn
Dustin Boyd – Ryan White – Ben Maxwell

On D: Jaro Spacek – P.K. Subban / Ryan O’Byrne – Alex Henry / Alexandre Picard – Yannick Weber

Boone blogs live

1. terrygain says:

I hope Carey is not as worried about how he will perform as you are.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Did anyone notice how those Maple Leaf fans are such sheep? They support management no matter what. It’s no wonder they haven’t won in 43 years.

2. Mattyleg says:

No way.

He’s a walking hospital-ward.

And you worry about other d-men’s defensive sides?

People’s memories are short.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

3. Bill J says:

I will echo everyone else’s posts.

Nice knowing ya Mike.

Your first prediction/ultimatum was realistic, this one is well… Not so much realistic.

4. G-Man says:

Not for a second. Souray is an expensive pylon. Seems you forgot what Spacek did to Ovechkin during the playoffs. Ditto for Hamrlik playing too many minute once Markov went down. Teams do not win with only young players. Unless they’re in juniors, of course.

5. habfan53 says:

Ian   1/2 his salary would still be 2.75 mil.  Other than his shot from the point he has nothing to offer. And towards the end of last year we saw what that gave us with MAB at  1/4 of the price

6. avatar_58 says:

It’s pretty bad that the habs home games don’t help our own players, but instead hinder them.

7. Bugs says:

Last year, K Senior missed 23 games or whatnot. Not too mention how many games Cammy and Gio missed.

Shut out too many times? How many times did we get shut out? 3? 4? 5??

That’s not too many times.

Those three animals avoid injuries all season, it’ll be even less.

Faut avoir la foi, nom de Dieu!

Reprovingly reproof-proof, here sits

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Assistant Head Honcho to what goes down in Chinatown, Big Cheese at Flannelcorp Media, and Lead Copy-boy at Habsbros Hard Data Factory: http://habsbros.blogspot.com

I would take him at half his salary for a 7th D only. He might help out the kids in Hamilton.!

But really I say no thank you.

9. Storm Man says:

Nice knowing you :)….. Guess I will see you in the HIO ESPN League.

10. mike g says:

I’m sorry if I said that, and didn’t follow up on my word…

But I was young and stupid back then. Now I’m much older and wiser.

We all say and do dumb things when were young, no?

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

11. Chuck says:

Technically, no, since the franchise wasn’t known as the Maple Leafs for the first two cups, and it think that it was a separate franchise (the kept a bunch of the same players for the following season) that won their “first” cup.

Even on a lot of the Leafs marketing stuff they recognize only 11 cups, though that have banners for 13 hanging in the ACC.

12. NafSbah says:

Not sure if its been mentioned, but very classy of the Habs to name Gionta captain before heading “home” to Buffalo, as its the closest city to Rochester.

13. habfan53 says:

The responses have been one of the VERY few times that we ALL agree

14. Say Ash says:

Awe, c’mon, man. Suck it up, buttercup! What’s he gonna do? Just play the away games? I’d rather see him get the minutes in, even if he gets lit. You don’t get better sitting in the rafters next to Darche – and even that guy’s playing.

15. habaddict_andy says:

Scott Gomez to Montreal Media “You’re a pain in the neck, but you’re our pain in the neck.”

16. SeriousFan09 says:

Therapy Days in Tampa work a different way though, the players sit down in Group Therapy and talk out how the place slowly takes a piece of their soul they feel they can’t get back playing to a half-empty arena with a good portion of the fans cheering for the other guys and the rest are there because the free food vouchers with the tickets makes it cheaper to feed the family than Mickey D’s.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

17. habsfanincalgary says:

Anyone know how AK46 has been doing in the preseason?  After Cammy and Gio, I’m concerned about scoring.  Last year, the team was shutout too many times…AK is going to be a key to the team’s success…

18. habaddict_andy says:

I’d take him over Halak.

19. habsfanincalgary says:

I think the booming shot would replace MAB’s role from last year.  And if it was for $1 million, then perhaps I’d consider it.  I did a quick lookup on his stats and in a Habs uniform, he has never played an entire season:

19,52,34,63,74,81…

He’s fragile, but his shot would definitely help any PP.

20. light_n_tasty says:

Even the Laffs have more than that.

21. Storm Man says:

Next……

22. mbplekfan says:

Proper decision to keep Price away from the home crowd.  If he has a bad night the boo-birds will get on him and that doesnt help anyone.

Save him for a laugher vs the Islanders and start the season with a confident goalie.

Last chance for the late cuts. They will get icetime and that will put pressure on the goalie.

I hope White and Henry make the team.

23. habfan53 says:

NEVER  Hamerlik with all his flaws is better defensively and Spacek is just better. Plus GOD forbid if you pick him up off waivers that would be around 5 miliion on the cap hit (so no money).

24. pic1983 says:

I guess they didnt want to embarass the bruins before coming to play a game there in stating that we’ve won 24.

25. Say Ash says:

Souray could never cover OV like Shpatch did.

26. Propwash says:

He’s pretty much washed up these days. No thanks.

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

27. Chuck says:
    “4. Team captain Zdeno Cháro, who will play in Belfast on Saturday…”
    Cuchi cuchi!
  28. Bugs says:

If I were that ex-pat, I’d go to the Telegraph offices with my fully modified M-16 carbine and clear out the rabble room by room. Call it reader feedback.

THAT’ll teach’em to do some research, boy.

Reprovingly reproof-proof, here sits

29. adam76 says:

someone who posts controversial and usually irrelevant or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum or chat room, with the intention of baiting other users into an emotional response[1] or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

30. mike g says:

News from Tampa:

“Add G Cedrik Desjardins and D Mattias Ohlund to the increasing list of players kept off the ice for injury reasons. Desjardins has some weakness in his abdominal and groin muscles. Ohlund missed his second day of practice for “body maintenance” purposes…D Matt Smaby, who had concussion-like symptoms last week following a fight with Dallas C Brian Sutherby, has resumed practicing.- Tampa Tribune

Alrighty then, Stevie Y. Look, we know all about your master plan down there in Tampa. We know that you are the almighty saviour, that you can break any rules in the NHL and get away with it, that we must praise everything you do, etc…

But “body maintenance”? Really, are you now trying to invent your own terminologies?

Stevie, what’s wrong with the often used “therapy day”?

C’mon man, lets get serious…

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

31. punkster says:

FREE TIMO!

32. Chuck says:

I’d go so far as to say that if Adam76 had the cajones get a photo of my avatar in front of Roy, and Roy disapproved of it, I’d willingly change it to something else… like a photo of the beat-down that Adam would get from Roy for bothering him over something so petty.  :)

33. avatar_58 says:

We have Subban and Markov for shots, Spacek occasionally too. No need for Souray, as the rest are defensive d-men.

34. Number31 says:

It’s a Bettman plot. They only count for reals south of the border.

35. adam76 says:

IF the oilers pay 50%, I would take Souray over Spacek.

36. Rugger says:

Even the Laffs have won more cups than the Bruins!

37. RGM says:

Pass on that one. He’s a shadow of his former self, which wasn’t that great to begin with. Amazing how Markov can make people around him look much better than they actually are.

38. Bugs says:

Sadly agree.

Reprovingly reproof-proof, here sits

39. Say Ash says:

Lucky, indeed.

40. Danno says:

‘Twas a magically delicious article.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

41. Fab K says:

Yes, and on TSN…

42. TorontoHabsFan says:

If I’m not mistaken, Edmonton would be on the hook for half his salary if he’s claimed on re-entry waivers. I think at $2.7m he’s pretty attractive to a lot of teams.

No way we can do it I’m afraid unless we demote salary or make a salary dump trade.

43. Bugs says:

What an ungrateful prig, this guy. After you graciously propose to get a picture for him and everything, pff…

How can you work with him? People like that should get their tires slashed.

Just sayin.

Reprovingly reproof-proof, here sits

44. SeriousFan09 says:

He’s a sieve and is becoming increasingly fragile with age, pass. We want a slapshot with no defence, ask MAB how he feels about suiting up for another season.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

45. canada4l says:

maybe on re-entry waivers, where we only have to pay half his salary.  No way at full pay/cap hit

46. light_n_tasty says:

I remeber in April, for the Flyers’ second last game of the season, you said you would never post again if they lost to the Rangers.  If the Flyers won that game, the Habs would clinch.  But they lost.  They blew an early lead and lost to the Rangers.  Yet you are still here.

That said, I recognize that the Flyers beat the Rangers the following game in the infamous Chokinen shootout, but by that time it didn’t matter, because the Habs had already clinched.

The point is, you said you would go away and you didn’t.

Just sayin’.

47. Rugger says:

At his pay and health?  No way, loved him when he was here, but that was then.

48. Say Ash says:

The article only has one comment and it’s some Habs expat correcting that fact.

49. mike g says:

The wonders of generations and generations of passed down alcohol abuse…

Very special place, Ireland is..

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

50. christophor says:

“11The Bruins have won the prestigious Stanley Cup five times, the second highest of any NHL team. The Detroit Red Wings have 11 titles.”

Edit: Always Second…no third

51. Bugs says:

“The Bruins have won the prestigious Stanley Cup five times, the second highest of any NHL team. The Detroit Red Wings have 11 titles.”

Aaah, Ireland. Ain’t she grand?

Reprovingly reproof-proof, here sits

52. TripleX says:

Oilers placed Souray on waivers.  I would take him over Spacek or Hammer.  Anyone else think the same?

‘Cogito ergo doleo’

53. Anonymous says:

I didn’t know this

The Bruins have won the prestigious Stanley Cup five times, the second
    highest of any NHL team. The Detroit Red Wings have 11 titles.

54. krob1000 says:

So take Pyatt, White and Pacioretty and have them sit in the pressbox? Unless we cut Ak or Pouliot the top six are pretty well set, on the bottom you have Boyd, Laps and Moen as givens, Eller is a given ……so that leaves 2 spots to play and a couple of pressers between Maxwell, Pacioretty, Halpern, Darche, White and Pyatt.  Then consider the CAp…who is on one way deals and who can be sent down, who needs to be playing and who can sit in the pressbox? what are their salaries?

Maxwell has improved but likely won’t cut it, great insurance if someone goes down butlet him develop in Hammer, Pacioretty…playing better….still young, two way..a significant upgrade on any of the otehrs now? probably not but maybe…..given his 910 k salary, his eligibility in hamilton unless one of Pouilot or Ak is cut….he needs playing time and is likely headed to Hammer.  Halpern and Darche? both vets that count against the cap regardless…..both insurance policies and both ot going to have their growth and development stunted if they do sit in the pressbox..and both cheaper then any of the other players. White is 850k, patcehs 910 k, Pyatt is cheap at 500k, darche 500k, halpern 600k and maxwell 850k.  When youa dd all of these things up it kind of makes sense to get the kids more time in Hamilton to start the season and save some coin, give the kids playing time,etc.  White has been a cut above the rest of this group IMO and deserves a spot….maybe he gets one…has Pacioretty really done anythig that ipressive gvent he poitns I have made? Tough call…..we have the best 6 line team in the NHL right now but we only need 4 and guys like AK and POuliot are as much under the microscope as anyone…as teh young hounds are chomping at the bit to get top line minutes. If one otf the top six falters then Eller can move up and that opens another spot in the bottom…don’t forget we also have a very imprssive Aaron Palushaj if a top six spot opens up.  The options are so unbelievably plentiful and better than I imagined at this time last year.

There is also the possibility we make a trade early in the season for more picks as depth is no longer an issue with us.  Very good problems to have…kind of liek our goaltending dilemma and this should result in some serious accountability in this group and very healthy competition.  There may be just too many capable bodies though so I wouldn’t be surprised to see some sort of deal made early in the season.  Ryan White is the only one of the frngers to em who has played a notch above the rest…..the others? they have 2 games left but I think it will come down to dollars, one/twp way, playing time,etc.  White has been that impressive though, he looks faster, stronger, more determined, less lost, more aggressive while also showing some poise with the puck…..he adds a little more grit and is in incredible shape and never takes a second off…..I he is the only one I thinkt hat deserves and exception and if he makes it I am not sure we can afford a Pacioretty or Maxwell over a Pyatt/darche or Halpern type….yet.

55. G-Man says:

Metro playing (while hurt) limited Darche’s time. I would say it’s more difficult playing a couple minutes a game  rather than a regular shift that keeps you into it.

Another year for Pacioretty in the AHL and he might learn not to hurt himself when dishing out hits. I project him to be a 3rd liner- there’s nothing wrong with that. I don’t understand the hype about him- he’s not scored all that much wherever he has played.

56. Propwash says:

You won’t last fiiiiiive minutes lol

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

57. Bugs says:

You say just “hockey” in Europe and they picture muscle-bound women running around a pitch wearing soccer attire and whacking a softball with curved wooden golf clubs into a handball net.

Reprovingly reproof-proof, here sits

58. mike g says:

11.5

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

59. mike g says:

You want me to throw-in that O’byrne must get a point too?…

Caaaman,…….. I’m feeling crazy today!!!!!!!!

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

60. Say Ash says:

More importantly, what’s the over/under on Pouliot falling down?

61. G-Man says:

It’s been fun, Mike G! :)

62. Say Ash says:

“Ice hockey.” That’s so cute.

63. iamjackhab says:

OMG … nevermind… note to self: read before posting… lol

64. sholi2000.com says:

There’s a reason no one replies to it.

They Call Me Shane

65. iamjackhab says:

Is the game on RDS tonight?

66. Anonymous says:

Thinking about, this might not be a very dangerous bet, points are easier to come by when you play anyone with Gio and Gomo. Our top line tonight is the PGG line (Pierre Gauthiers Goons) be excited, be afraid.

67. Number31 says:

Belfast Telegraph presents 20 things you didn’t know about The Boston Bruins. Could also be called “20 things we don’t know about hockey in general”. Giggles~

68. mike g says:

Clap starts growing…..

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

69. RJB says:

If you are right, you will be a god amongst us mere mortals…to inspire such play in Pouliot seems beyond the realm of possibility.

“I don’t know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.”
    – Bilbo Baggins

70. mike g says:

Benny Pou-pou will come through…

(smashing head on my desk)

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

71. RGM says:

*slow clap* Well played.

72. mike g says:

If I go 2 for 2….

You and I meet, pile up all our savings, and shoot all the cash on Columbus to win the Cup.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

73. RGM says:

I’m pretty sure that if you were to send an email to Patrick Roy informing him that a poster on Habs Inside/Out has photoshopped the image of him and Carey standing beside his #33 banner to read 31 with the starting year 2005, and then put that image as his avatar on said HI/O website, Patrick Roy would not feel disrespected or care in any particular way, large or small.

74. Anonymous says:

Is this Boone? Are you just trying to drive pageviews for a little better Whisky? Camon man Whataya thinkin.

Edit: I can use the edit button too, thanks a lot for making me look silly :(. I’ll just go back to my corner.