Captain Gionta debuts on TSN, RDS

A beaming Brian Gionta yesterday, named the 28th captain of the Canadiens.
Peter McCabe, Gazette

AUDIO from morning skate: Lars Eller | Jeff Halpern | Alex Henry

Canadiens fans get their first look at Brian Gionta in the captain’s jersey tonight when the Habs take on the Buffalo Sabres at home. Game time is 7:30 pm on both TSN and RDS.

goalie Alex Auld is expected to play 60 minutes (or longer) tonight in the Canadiens’ final preseason game at the Bell Centre. The team has one more to play, Saturday at the Pepsi Colisée in Quebec City vs. the Islanders. Auld will be backed up by Carey Price.

The lines as they skated this morning under the watchful eye of Pat Hickey:

Benoit Pouliot – Scott Gomez – captain Brian Gionta
Tom Pyatt – Jeff Halpern – Maxim Lapierre
Mathieu Darche – Lars Eller – Andrei Kostitsyn
Dustin Boyd – Ryan White – Ben Maxwell

On D: Jaro Spacek – P.K. Subban / Ryan O’Byrne – Alex Henry / Alexandre Picard – Yannick Weber

Boone blogs live

1. habsfaninboston says:

test

2. gK_HabsFan says:

i don’t know man.  I’m in favour of White too, but to say Darche has no NHL-level hockey sense is a bit too harsh.

He had 5 goals and 5 assists in 29 games played last season.  Translate that to 70-60 games, he’s on pace to score 10 goals and around 20 points.  Not all that bad for a 4th liner.  Plus, I’m sure he’s a great presence in the locker room

-GK-

3. SeriousFan09 says:

My comfort with numbers has me of a different feeling about Pierre, statistically speaking, if he calls enough games, eventually he’s going to get a deflected slapper to the face and that is for the time being, worth him being on the air.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

4. adam76 says:

Agree – he should be in nets, save Auld against the painfully bad Islanders on Saturday.  Can;t see the logic in this.

5. adam76 says:

You know – while I do find McGuire over the top, I do enjoy the passion he brings to the game.  You can tell he enjoys the sport – and would watch regardless if it was his “paid” profession.

Give me Gord and Pierre over ANYONE at the CBC.

6. SeriousFan09 says:

I like Eller and AK46, the passer with the shooter but Darche… ugh I want Ryan White to take his spot so badly in the final lineup. He just doesn’t have an NHL-level hockey sense.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

7. rocketsglare says:

IMO, Price should get as much playing time as possible and not less. There’s nothing like actual

game conditions to sharpen and fine tune your game. I believe that Price can only benefit if he

where to play in the last 2 pre-season games. It would build confidence and momentum going

into the start of the season.

8. Say Ash says:

Playing with wingers that have skill and heart. One with skill, one with heart.

9. HabsMitch says:

I’m going to be honest…I love Pierre lol….He’s so  unintentianlly hilarious. IT’s A DION…ITS A DOUBLE DION!!!

10. Fansincebirth says:

Give it a rest….

11. gK_HabsFan says:

Finally Eller plays center!  Really liking the duo of Eller and AK46!

-GK-

12. Jordio-oh says:

Just robbed the newspaper from the front of my office to cut out the picture of Gionta to put up in my cubicle. I went out of my way to go to my buddy’s desk, who is a leafs fan, and asked him if he wanted me to grab an extra newspaper for him so he could have a Gio pic at his desk too. He politely declined my offer.

13. mike g says:

Chrome-Dome alert!!!!!….

Pierre McGuire’s back between the benches tonight in Montreal!

I missed him, I really did. I haven’t wanted to throw something at the tv in quite sometime, so I’m glad he can bring that intensity back. I’m very anxious for his useless comments about where every single player played their junior, college, and minor league careers before reaching the NHL…

Thank you Pierre, for keeping the rage in me alive….

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

14. habbyone says:

Price backing up Auld. We may see this a lot this season.

15. adam76 says:

Interesting – trying to protect Price from the home crowd?

16. Everlasting1 says:

I don’t know if Halak is starting, but is dressed, as is Ty Conklin.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin