Canucks’ Luongo outduels Price for fantasy win

luongoweb

Suffering Canadiens withdrawal? The Gazette has the answer with the ultimate fantasy experience as beat writer Pat Hickey and Gazette techie Eric Tobon employ EA Sports NHL 13 to produce The Season That Isn’t during the NHL lockout. Here’s how things might have looked in Saturday night’s scheduled game between the Canadiens and Vancouver Canucks at Rogers Arena .

PAT HICKEY
The Gazette

VANCOUVER – Montreal native Roberto Luongo, the subject of off-season trade rumours, outduelled Carey Price as the Vancouver Canucks edged the Canadiens 2-1 Saturday night at Rogers Arena.

Luongo gave up a first-period goal to David Desharnais, but finished the night with 33 saves. It was his seventh win of the season as the Canucks lead the Western Conference with a 10-2 record. The Canadiens, who saw their eight-game winning streak snapped, dropped to 8-3 but continue to sit atop the Eastern Conference standings.

The emergence of a younger – and cheaper – alternative in Cory Schneider led to speculation that Luongo would be dealt, but general manager Mike Gillis wasn’t happy with what was being offered in return and kept Luongo.

Henrik Sedin provided the winning goal when he beat Price at 17:52 of the third period to snap a 1-1 tie.

“It was a good goal,” Price said. “When you’re in a game like that, you don’t want to give up a cheap goal, but he put a perfect shot under the crossbar on my blocker side.”

Desharnais, who is the Canadiens’ leading scorer, took advantage of a sloppy Vancouver line change to open the scoring at 14:18. He was jumping on the ice when he took a cross-ice pass from Rene Bourque, who returned to the lineup for the first time since undergoing  abdominal surgery in the off-season.

That lead didn’t last long as Pincourt native Alexandre Burrows knotted the score at 16:49 with an assist going to former Canadien Chris Higgins.

Coach Michel Therrrien said he was pleased with his team’s effort, but said the Canadiens took too many penalties.

“Our penalty-killing was good, but it takes a lot of energy away when you’re shorthanded and you can’t get any rhythm in your offence,” Therrien said.

The Canucks were 0-for-6 with the extra man while the Canadiens went 0-for-3.

Montreal returns home for four games beginning with a visit from the Phoenix Coyotes Tuesday night.

1. club_de_hockey says:

Roberto Long gone-o

2. pmaraw says:

is subban signed yet?

3. Carta-Hab says:

Darn, double post!

4. Carta-Hab says:

Here is a video piece the Hockey News just posted on Galchenyuk.

Mike Milbury, Don Cherry, and PJ Stock….The three stooges of HNIC.

• naweed235 says:

what the …. I didn’t know they were playing him on wing… he needs to be playing Center where we need him to develop the most…

• Carta-Hab says:

I don’t know if I necessarily agree with that. I think the point is that he is going to be a very versatile player. Always good to have a player who can play in any situation, especially a player as good as Galchenyuk. That being said, I sure hope he plays center again while playing in the OHL.

Mike Milbury, Don Cherry, and PJ Stock….The three stooges of HNIC.

• Timo says:

JM must be working as a special advisor for Sarnia.

5. Bripro says:

RDS announced late last night (before the clock change) that Daly and Steve Fehr were locked in a room, pounding on the issues.
    This was after midnight. This should be a good sign.
    Does anyone have a progress report?
    Are they finally trying to save part of the season?

*********************************************
    “I’m here to tell you: Gary Bettman hasn’t felt this alive since he killed Harry Potter’s parents.”

• Habilis says:

They (Daly and S. Fehr) met till one or two am this morning, depending on who you believe. Both sides said that they plan to meet early next week.

The PA is holding a conference call with membership this afternoon (3:30pm).

In my view, this is the best news since the lockout began. For those guys to spend that long in a room together talking about core economics, there has to have been significant progress made.

• Bripro says:

Agreed. It’s about time.
        And Steve Fehr has admitted that he agrees with Daly. That’s the first I’ve heard of either side agreeing with the other. Is this the beginning of the end? I thought so when the NHL posted their latest offer, but it soon fell into disrepair, so I’ll keep my enthusiasm to a minimum.

*********************************************

• Habilis says:

Yeah I hear that. I won’t get excited till players start flying back from Europe.

Still though, I think you’re right about that being the first public agreement between the sides. That’s a good sign. Combine that with the fact that they met in private, which means they are actually more focused on making a deal than on spewing public rhetoric, and it starts to sound like they might actually be getting somewhere. That they plan to meet again after updating their respective sides is also a very good sign.

Also, and this is just grasping I admit, Bob McKenzie pointed out that the last time an NHL lockout was settled, it was a marathon meeting between Daly and Saskin that got the ball rolling on the final deal.

6. lefreak says:

As a Montrealer that moved to China for a year on business purposes…I can safely say I don’t miss the NHL. The KHL on my basic cable package more than makes up for it. This is ridiculous (the lock out) when you see the amount of people starving in this 3rd world country. AHL on internet, junior as well….who needs the NHL?

7. Haborama says:

great news on Galchenyuk, he is on pace for 100 points now, on a team like Sarnia – amazing.

Good Bulldogs game last night judging by what I heard, it seems Tinordi had a good game, hope he developes as the physical blueline sheriff we have lacked in recent years, I hope they take their time with him, it will only make the end result better.

I send all my best wishes to IAN COBB and his wife.

8. Mavid says:

Going to see ZZTop on Thursday glad to hear its a good show.

• Bripro says:

That’s in Ottawa, right?
      I hear ticket prices were very respectable, all under $100.
      Good for you. Enjoy!
      They are a great show.

*********************************************

• frontenac1 says:

Saw then twice in the 80″s and Last night in Kingston. Last night was the best of the three IMO. Great seats fo $50.

• Bripro says:

You lucky amigo!!!

Edit: My family and I were visiting friends in New York in the early 90s,
        and they surprised us with tickets to see them at Madison Square Gardens.
        12 rows off the floor to the stage’s left. Great seats. Lotsa fun!

*********************************************

9. jols101 says:

I wish Steve Fehr and Bill Daly were the head of the NHLPA and NHL respectively. They seem to respect each other and the process of collective bargaining. I think a deal would have been done long ago if these 2 men where in charge. Donald and Garry’s egos take up the entire room when they get involved; makes it tough to get a deal done.

Any replay video of the Habs Fantasy EA game? Anybody got any links to the next game? I mean seriously!!! Am I supposed to imagine this make believe stuff or what? I hear Santa Claus is trying out for goal tender and maybe the Easter Bunny wants in on the action. Go Pixie dust!!!

11. punkster says:

Forgive me for my negativity…but I figure there’s only reason they met until 1am…that’s when the strippers finished and the bar closed for the night.

Smoke and mirrors.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• HabFab says:

TSNBobMcKenzie – Three positives: 1. Met for long time. 2. Talked core issues. 3. Will meet again. That’s generally good but my expectations are tempered.

12. Hobie Hansen says:

I know they’re not going to come out and say they stink but it has raised my eyebrow when guys like Cole and Prust have been tweeting and telling the media that last year was just a sham and they expect to make the playoffs and be worlds better this year. If there is hockey…

• Phil C says:

It may seemed far fetched to a fan who suffered through some awful hockey last year. But I think the Habs really have improved quite a bit considering:
      – A healthy Markov;
      – A healthy Gionta;
      – Another year of maturity for young core players like Price, Subban, Pacioretty, and Desharnais, all who have yet to peak;
      – The addition of Prust, Armstrong and Cube;
      – A fitter and slimmer Kaberle;
      – A year of experience for Diaz and Emelin (vs being rookies);
      – More depth on the farm than last year;
      – a new and highly experienced coaching staff who will hopefully throw the wretched JM/RC system to the wayside;
      – A re-invigorated new Management;

I know this for sure, they will not finish any worse in the Eastern Conference, how’s that for a fearless prediction!

13. frontenac1 says:

Hola Amigos! Missed the Dogs game last night but it sounds from the posts it was a real corker. If any of you get the chance go see ZZ Top on their Canadian Tour.You won’t be disappointed. After 40 years the Tres Hombres still deliver. Texas Style!

14. Mavid says:

***sigh**of course I had to go out and they mount a big comeback and I missed it sounds like it was a fun 3rd period..woke up with a terrible migraine why do people feel the need to bathe in perfume and aftershave just wash for Christ sake

• Boomer says:

It sounds like you’re stuck in 18th century France. The French invented perfumes so they wouldn’t have to bathe.

It was a good comeback the young guys had good games. Holland was hard on the forechek, created a turnover and set up Gallagher in the slot for a goal. Tinordi made a beautiful pass to st denis who got a shot on goal and Geoffrion banged in the rebound. Beaulieu got his first point. It was good stuff.

15. mrhabby says:

Iam sticking to my belief that hockey will be restarted by the end of November. The USA thanksgiving will be the kick start date with lots of important games around that time.

ps…ian good luck with starting a family there..you stud.

I did enjoy the AHL Hamilton Habs last night!

• habstrinifan says:

Good morning Ian. Just a brief question re summit tickets. Last I heard was just hold on to tickets and soone ror later they will be valid for a ‘makeup’ game. Would this be a ‘group’ situation again or the individual will be able to attend a game alone?

• Ian Cobb says:

Jameson!
        All tickets will be needed to be kept to exchange for same seats of our choosing.
        Do not lose them, it is the only way that I can get credit for them to exchange for the next group summit.

• habstrinifan says:

Hi Ian! One of those moments when I fell like a bleddy ASS! I did not know your wife was ill. My best wishes for her full and speedy recovery. You dont need questions re tickets etc now. I remember one of your posts about her and what she has meant to you.

The best to you both!

Fantasy hockey and old replay games is just not going to cut it until next year!
    Going to be a hell of a baby boon next year! I just wonder if I should start a new family??

18. Mark C says:

Found some great video’s of Galchenyuk from last night’s game. His hands/vision/passing/shot combo of skills is off the charts.

Crazy half behind the back pass, shorthanded nonetheless: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sBEZri7Zg8&feature=player_embedded

Two different highlight packages from last nights games:

19. HabFab says:

Interesting point that I read concerning the “make whole” is that 270 contracts expire in 2013 and 215 in 2014.
    Another thought that has occurred to me that if each team is allowed a free cap buy out of one player making at least 5% of salary cap ($3.5 ml) now and next spring, then the Cap could go down a lot faster.
    If you check out Capgeek, you will notice that most teams are still below Salary Cap so there is some room to play.

• HabFab says:

In fact the more I study this, the Salary Cap could drop 10% to $63,2 ml with some Cap free buy-outs now and be at 50-50% by the start of next season.
      So if I can see a way then Gary and Don surely must be able to do. Make it happen you two egomaniacs.

• Phil C says:

That would be a very clever way to get the richer teams to contribute more than their share to the salaries while lowering the “make whole” provision amount. Great idea. Not to mention that a certain $7M contract could be dumped by the Habs, but I’m sure you weren’t thinking about that. ;-)

You have to think they can figure it out soon. There is only $3.3B on the line this season, not to mention the damage to their brand that is at stake, yet they are fighting over $220M spread out over 6-7 years.

• HabFab says:

A team like Minnesota might be challenged but buying out either Cullen or Bouchard and trading the other would do the job for them.
          Boston of course has Savard and Thomas to abort. Philly has Pronger etc. Not sure who we have :)

20. Hobie Hansen says:

Glad to hear the owners and players are meeting and seem to really be pressing things at this point. However, I haven’t been hanging on every little development in the situation and wouldn’t be surprised and really wouldn’t care if things blow up between the two side again. This development does sound positive for the moment though.

The reason I don’t care if they play this year or not: The Hamilton Bulldogs!

What an entertaining game last night, especially in the 3rd period when the Dogs erased a two goals deficit to win the game. The girlfriend and I had a great night watching the Bulldogs and Americans play on Sportsnet and it was every bit as exciting and fun as watching the Habs.

Brendan Gallagher is really starting to look good. He’s scored on back to back nights against the Americans and had a good scrap with Pat Roy’s son, Frederick, in Friday night’s game.

Blake Geoffrion is really making a strong case to play for the Canadiens once the NHL gets going. He has been the strongest on the puck out of all the forwards and might be the best man in the organization to center the Habs forth line.

Nathan Beaulieu looked good last night and finally got his first point but Jarred Tinordi clearly had his best game. I’ve been watching him closely in the 4 or 5 games I’ve seen and last night was the first night I saw him consistently play well in his own end. He used his long reach to swipe the puck away to boards and angle guys off when crossing the blue line on several occasions. He also made a sweet pass to keep the puck in the Rochester end on a 3rd period goal.

Oh and good game by Zach Stortini as well. He had a real good scrap in the 1st period and in the games I’ve seen has had some scoring chances and hasn’t looked out of place. If there’s any sort of debacle that goes on against the Bruins or Rangers or whoever, once the season starts, I could see the Habs calling him up on the odd occasion.

Mike Blunden is also a strong skater and even though Mike Bournival was held off the score sheet last night, he’s looked pretty darn good on both sides of the puck so far this year.

There are really 4 or 5 forwards on the Bulldogs that are fighting for a spot on the Habs once you add Aaron Pulushaj, who was leading the team in points before last night, to the mix.

Again, the NHL can scrap the entire season cuz it’s great watching these younger guys develop down in Hamilton and play exciting hockey. The Canadiens aren’t going anywhere until a chunk of the guys I mentioned, plus Galchenyuk, are getting comfortable in a Canadiens uniform, a few years down the road.

Scrap the NHL season…who cares.

• Habfan10912 says:

I hear you Hobbie but I’d hate to push Gomez’ contract down the road further plus the teams draft order would not be as good if we again fail to make the playoffs in a shortened season. Those two reasons have me rooting for a shortened season.

———————————–

• Hobie Hansen says:

Unless I’m missing something big here, if the season is a wash Gomez would only have one year left on his deal next season?

• Habfan10912 says:

That wasn’t my understanding but I’ve been known to be wrong
          Ask my wife. :)

———————————–

• Hobie Hansen says:

The clock is ticking on their current contracts as we speak. If their contacts were on hold they wouldn’t be missing any pay, it would just be delayed. So next year no matter what is the last year of Gomez.

• Habfan10912 says:

Thanks Hobbie. I feel much better now. CHeers!

———————————–

• HabFab says:

@ Hobie – if you read my post above, just bought out Gomez contract Cap free ;)

• Hobie Hansen says:

@Habfan10912 – In not close to as knowledgeable about contracts, prospects and the CBA as some of the guys on here but I do my best. Just love talking hockey. :-)

@Habfab – it will be very interesting to see if each team is allotted some sort of buyout or assistance in getting under the cap? In any regard, a year and a half with Gomez is better than3 or 4.

• JF says:

Agree that it’s great watching the Bulldogs, but the Habs still need a season for the good of the team. Even though most of us don’t expect much from them this year, they need the time to develop as a team and learn their new coach’s system. Also, I think we’ll get a higher draft pick if we play the season than otherwise.

• Hobie Hansen says:

The way I see it is that if we skip a season there’s a good chance we’ll see Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Bournival, Leblanc, Tinordi and possibly Beauleau playing on the team next season.

That would probably spell the end for guys like Armstrong, White, Bouillon and then the following season Gionta, Kaberle, Gomez and Markov.

• JF says:

OK, but I doubt either Tinordi or Beaulieu will be ready. Tinordi so far has taken a while to adjust at each new level, and Beaulieu has a lot to learn defensively. Morgan Ellis maybe. Yesterday someone compared him to Josh Gorges, and I think that’s a good comparison. You don’t notice him much, but he does all the little things well and seldom makes a mistake.

But add another high draft pick to the team and we’d have the ingredients to be a contender in a couple of years. Imagine another forward with Galchenyuk’s off-the-chart skills…

• Hobie Hansen says:

I “think” Tinordi will be ready after a full season and playoff in the AHL. Not positive, nobody is…

But ya, The Sportsnet crew was complimentary of the Habs prospects in Hamilton and you’re right, they mentioned Ellis and Nash as probable NHLers as well.

• habstrinifan says:

Bournival/Gallagher…. stars in the waiting. Good report.

• Mark C says:

If you believe this, wouldn’t you want to have an NHL season? A lost season would likely devalue Montreal’s draft position, along with their 2nds from Calgary and Nashville. Maybe more importantly, a lost season = a lost opportunity to trade players for future assets.

• HardHabits says:

Thanks to you my initials name sake, this visit to HIO wasn’t in vain. I will say this though. HIO sorely misses Mike Boone. He is the only writer here who had the pulse of the commentariat and could provoke great discussion about the article in question for every thread. I don’t even read the articles any more. Fantasy EA league and 1993 redux does nothing for me and are nothing more than candy coated verborrhea. Schlock journalism at its worst.

There’s a world of information out there about our prospects and rather than report about it these so-called professionals are being taken to the tool shed by the comments section. No wonder blogs are kicking traditional news’ ass.

21. JohnBellyful says:

NEW YORK – NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly announced today that the league is cancelling another Winter Classic – Christmas.
    “If this isn’t a wake-up call for the players, nothing is,” Daly said early this morning, after spending several hours at the bargaining table with players’ association special counsel Steve Fehr. “The league regrets having to take such a drastic step but we owe it to our fans to do our best to end the lockout and begin the season.”
    Fehr was infuriated the NHL would employ such a maneuver in an attempt to coerce players into signing a deal “inimical to their interests.”
    He did concede, however, that under the old collective bargaining agreement, a subsection of Article 13 gave the league the right to impose a holiday freeze between Dec. 19 and Dec. 27. The subsection had been interpreted over the years as referring to rosters only, but a closer examination of the language indicates the freeze includes the holiday in its entirety.
    “I think it’s funny the NHL would choose to invoke one clause in an agreement we were prepared to live with as a whole while negotiations continued to reach a new deal,” Fehr said. “You can’t cherry pick clauses that serve your interests to the disadvantage of the other side.”
    Daley countered that he thought it “odd” the players’ union would protest “an innocuous measure” it was happy to live with for six years.
    Fehr said cancelling Christmas for players is “nothing more than a symbolic gesture ” because, without a contract in hand, the league can’t dictate whether or not union members choose to observe Christmas.
    But a league official not involved in the negotiations says it puts the players “on the wrong side” of the issue, as it makes it appear they’re forcing the league “to act like Grinch for the sake of the fans. And remember, it was the Grinch that came up smelling like roses in the end.”
    There are those who say the NHL decision will come as a relief to the players.
    “They’ll be able to use it as an excuse not to buy presents this year,” one person said.

• Cal says:

Ah, JB, you brighten up my Sunday! Thanks, man! (If, of course, you are a man and not just a pseudonym.) :D

EDIT- Great Sinatra spoof! Here’s a plug: http://johnbellyful.weebly.com/

• Habfan10912 says:

Wonder if in a show of solidarity, other Unions will join the Christmas is cancelled thing.

———————————–

• JohnBellyful says:

The elves guild, Santa’s Little Helpers, has been in touch with the NHLPA. The thinking if, if they go along with what the NHL has promulgated, it could blow up in the league’s face.
        The reindeer union has shown interest as well.
        This could get nasty, folks.

Glad to see you’re up and running, Jim. Hope things return to normal ASAP.

22. HabFab says:

Real_ESPNLeBrun – From Bill Daly: “We had a series of meetings yesterday and exchanged views on the most important issues separating us. ..” “We plan to meet again sometime early this week.” End quote
    In terms of undisclosed location where meeting took place, it was in a neutral city (not NY or Tor) and both Daly and S Fehr had to travel.

23. centre hice says:

Tinordi’s best game of the season. He was handling the puck and making plays. What a pass to St Denis for the first goal.

The Bulldogs need serious work on the PP. It is by far the weakest part of their game. There are no high end offensive players on the team, so they need to create plays for the PP.

Everybody should check out the highlights of Gally’s 4 pts. Both goals and both assists were beautiful. Worth watching.

24. Cal says:

Turn back the clock? Ok, how about 40 years:

-EDIT- I’ve adjusted the site to have a video with each song. I (and I’m sure a few others) can’t believe this lockout has lasted this long. Or that there’s so many songs out there to spoof.

25. Habfan10912 says:

Is BGL hockey’s version of Isiah Thomas?

———————————–

26. Habfan10912 says:

Mac Bennett near the top of NCAA scoring leaders.

———————————–

27. HabFab says:

About frigging time the midnight oil was burnt!!

Real_ESPNLeBrun Steve Fehr and Bill Daly concluded their meeting around 1 am ET last night

28. Habfan10912 says:

Daly and Fehr II met until 1am. More meetings scheduled? Progress?

———————————–

29. Tom says:

not only am I having NHL withdrawals, I’m having H I/O withdrawals. no lively discussion, no news, no nothing. phooey.

30. RobertAlanFord says:

Bulldogs rallied from behind to beat Rochester 4-3. http://bleublancetrouge.ca/dogs-comeback-and-win-in-the-3rd/

@RAFord77

31. Malreg says:

According to Aaron Ward, the league and the PA were still in a meeting as of 12:30 a.m.

I guess that’s a good sign…

32. commandant says:

In his last 5 games… Galchenyuk has had 3 games of 3 or more points.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

33. commandant says:

2 G, 2a for Galchenyuk

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

34. Shadow8 says:

Well that was fun, good game! Time for some Civilization V, night all.

35. HabInToronto says:

Big Win

36. Boomer says:

What an unselfish play by Dumont at the end there.
    Dogs take it 4-3. Good game

37. Habfan10912 says:

Fehr and Daly still meeting? Progress?

38. commandant says:

4 straight goals for the Dogs.

Oh and now Amerks get one back…

4-3 Hamilton now.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

39. punkster says:

I gotta say, been watching this game with the sound turned down but this third period is great.

Bulldogs! Go figure!

***Subbang Baby!!!***

40. Shadow8 says:

Oh, now I realize there is another thread!

Best period ever.

41. Boomer says:

Geoffrion Top Cheddar from the right wing, 4-2 Dogs ;)

42. commandant says:

Beaulieu’s first professional point.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

43. HabInToronto says:

Beaulieu with his first pro point!

44. Boomer says:

Blunden tips the shot from beaulieu at the point on the PP, 3-2 Dogs

45. Boomer says:

Gallagher ties it up in the third, beauty

46. Boomer says:

BEAUTIFUL pass by Tinordi to st denis, shot on goal Geoffrion pushes it in.

47. mark-ID says:

It appears on twitter that Galchenyuk is dominant tonight. Plus he has 2 goals and an assist

48. L Elle says:

3 games worth watching tonight.

-Bulldogs, our future.

-Game 7 vs Boston in 2008. I missed that series as I was out of town.

– But, I can’t take my eyes off the 1975 Habs vs Russia New Year’s game. Even after all these years, what a team!

49. mark-ID says:

The more and more I watch Ellis play….the more and more I think he will turn out to be another Gorges..which is great. He is so steady out there. Even from his first pro game. You don’t really notice him…..he is just steady out there. Hope I am right!!

As for this fantasy leaugue……love how the Canucks and us are the power houses of the league haha

50. commandant says:

Jesus blew that Pittsburgh FG wide, and Notre Dame survives to be 9 and 0

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Habfan10912 says:

Or the luck of the Irish. Oregon has some offensive skill but I think the Bama LSU game will be the best game tonight. All that said it’s Saturday Night and I’d rather be wstching hockey. CHeers Ben

———————————–