Can’t do in Kanata

Carey Price was at his locker, talking to the media about the perils of exhibition hockey and playing behind guys who won’t be in Montreal when the regular season rolls around.

“It’s exhibition,” Price said. “This is the time to work things out.

Jacques Martin was supportive of his goaltender, pointing out that Price had been beaten by “three power-play goals, a penalty shot and two giveaways.”.

“Even when the game was out of hand, he made good saves and competed,” Martin said. The team in front of Price, the coach added, “didn’t help him much.”

Not a whole lot of teeth-gnashing, then, after a miserable game at Scotiabank Place.

Breakaways, penalty shots, a ton of PPs, fights – the game had it all … largely as a consequence of the number of non-NHLers in both lineups.

What it didn’t offer is reassurance that Price is on his game.

10 goals against on 39 shots in 100 minutes.

At least Price was spared sarcastic applause from the numerous Canadiens fans at Scotiabank Place, where an upcoming show features Cesar Millan.

Does he whisper to goaltenders?

“It would have been nice to make some of those saves,” Price said, “but I’m not going to lose any sleep tonight.”

We’ll follow the goaltender’s advice and CHILL, repeating the mantra:

It’s only the pre-season.

•  •  •

Best player in a white jersey: Tomas Plekanec.

Scored again and skated all night.

Pleks is making that contract look awfully good.

Honourable mention: Ben Maxwell

Invisible to the naked eye: Maxim Lapierre

And speaking of eyes, Hal Gill got nicked by Foligno’s stick in the second period and did not return. But Jacques Martin says it’s not serious.

• PREGAME AUDIO: Michael Cammalleri | Jaroslav Spacek | Benoit Pouliot

The Canadiens play Ottawa again tonight in the Senator’s Kanata barn.

Carey Price makes his second start of the pre-season, with Team A.

It’s the second of four consecutive exhibition games, which continues with Minnesota – Gui! Gui! Gui! – visiting the Bell Centre tomorrow and Florida in on Monday night.

Team B sent the fans home happy last night.

Alex Auld and Robert Mayer were solid in nets, and coach Jacques Martin singled out several young players for praise: Lars Eller, David Desharnais, Max Pacioretty, Brendan Nash, Andreas Engqvist and Ryan White.

Martin’s other kids are in action tonight.

And Benoit Pouliot is on RW, with Tomas Plekanec and Mike Cammalleri. The other lines: Tom Pyatt-Ben Maxwell-Maxim Lapierre; Travis Moen-Jeff Halpern-Aaron Palushaj; Andrew Conboy-Olivier Fortier-Louis Leblanc.

D pairings: Hal Gill-Yannick Weber; Jarred Tinordi-Jaroslav Spacek; Josh Gorges-Kyle Klubertanz

Carey Price’s back-up tonight is Peter Delmas

1. Captain aHab says:

You really think him playing a good game will silence the throngs of complainers? To them “a good game” will mean stopping every puck for the next 2 months.

Take a breath….it.was.a.pre-season.game.and.the.team.flopped.while.he.was.in

One goal was on him. One other was seeing-eye through several screens. And two were on horrid d-plays. Why have the media not all been on Spacek? He made more bone-headed plays in that game than Price.

2. Clay4bc says:

I’m curious why you seem to be incapable of rational discussion…daddy issues?

__________________________

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.

– George Orwell –

3. spos080808 says:

Angry, no not at all…

I am laughing my ass off. You are a complete joke…

The funniest thing is how I know exactly everything you wrote last season, regular season and playoffs…Bashing the team with Timo left and right…Yet you deny it…

You are an absolute fraud buddy…

You have been my bitch all morning…

Pretty pathetic you keep posting though. Maybe that is your kind of thing, I dunno…

And you won? HAHAHAHAHAHHAHA…

You are not fooling anyone…

Keep backtracking though buddy. Timo what.

4. WindsorHab-10 says:

Well said.

5. Clay4bc says:

Well, I’ve succeeded in my goal, I guess.

You’re angry, and i think your posts are great – as far as being good for a laugh. Cheers. I think you may need to revise the score, because I seem to have won.

__________________________

– George Orwell –

6. fbkj says:

meh

i fall into neither of those categories

7. chelios_24 says:

BTW- Nice profile pic. My first favourite player was MATS….oh he was exciting to watch.

8. puck face says:

i don’t boo , not my style but i undrstand why some do. booing is harsh and insensitive , like it or not its also a form of comunication. booing a player for being consistenly bad or because you feel a certain player has a lot more to give but is not playing to his capabilities let’s him know that you as a fan (who pays his salary) are not happy , plain and simple. it also let’s the owners and coches know indirectly that you are not happy with their part in a players poor performance , although i’ve never tried i’m pretty sure that the invidual fan has zero chance of a head to head with either coach or management to discuss what they don’t like about the team , so what alternatives are there? stop watching? never going to happen. that being said i think before a fan opens his mouth to boo he should make sure he’s not over reacting (first period of the first pre season game) and not boo out of hatred ,  accessorizing their beligerent drunk ensemble.

9. WindsorHab-10 says:

A goalie is a different breed. His game is all about being in a zone & concentrating throughout which means he does not need any distractions. Positional players who get booed can shake it off when their shift ends sitting on the bench. A goalie cannot.

Fans that are booing Carey Price are on a mission to screw with his head and I have no use for them. They give all of us a very bad image/reputation because that’s what other teams fans talk about.

10. saskhabfan says:

You blamed lack of goal production from crosby and malkin for a goalies (fleurys) failure. Get the point yet? It was taken from your own post. Its my new sig. Hope you enjoy it.

“bad analogy- when he first played those wins/losses ??? how many goals did crosby and malkin score that year?”-Observer. When asked why Marc Andre fleury had been sent to the minors when he struggled in his 3rd season.

11. fbkj says:

okay thank you for finally adressing where youve been clearly shown you were wrong

one out of 100 is baby steps i spose

however when this point was brought up you were talking about how price was only showing signs of decline whearas fleury didnt go through the same rough bumps

instead of rewording and retooling your argument, you could just concede you were wrong

12. spos080808 says:

Hey idiot, you have been posting everywhere how the fans have a right to boo…Then you keep asking the question when is it right to boo etc…

I said how about they just do not boo…

You do know how to read right?…

Your first line was about it being dumb to boo in that game…I answered the question you later proposed…

What an epic fail..In trying to make me look foolish, you ended up making yourself look look a moron plain and simple. Pretty funny!

0-3!

13. WindsorHab-10 says:

Great opportunity for Carey Price to silence his critics. Doesn’t matter if Habs win or lose tonight, Price needs to play a very good game. I understand that fans have the right to cheer/jeer as they please but our fans are divided into 2 catagories, those that love Price and others that hate him no matter how he performs and will always find fault in his game.

I’m pulling for you kid.

14. observer says:

yes it was a bad analogy i was responding to- completely- the situations are not even similar. price played well his first year and half and something happened to him physically or mentally around jan of 2009 and his play has completrely gone south. fleury was inconsistant from day one even in those 2 years they made the finals – he can be great or terrible. he was even pulled last year here against the habs in regf season and in playoffs had a couple of terrible games.

15. Clay4bc says:

Read my first line, genius…

__________________________

— George Orwell –

16. saskhabfan says:

17. Omit says:

People who are booing Price are basically poor souls who live vicariously through others.  Since they have no life, they attach themselves to an idol, a sports team or something else.  When that person or entity fails to deliver to their expectations, they turn on them with bloodlust.

The only advice I can give them is to get a life of their own.  But they probably tried that already and, having  failed miserably, they decided to go the other route. As an individual, he becomes an obnoxious boor.  In a collectivity, he becomes part of a lunatic fringe.

18. gumper says:

J.T. makes some good points, but I don’t like where we end up if we follow the argument to its logical conclusion. If the reason trading Halak was a mistake is because “a few hundred” ignorant fans in the rafters of the Bell will now make Price’s life so miserable he’ll leave town precipitously, it means management, in future, will have to consult those few hundred ingnoramuses before making any player moves, so as to avoid putting undue pressure on any member of the team, present or future. I suppose that no one in his/her right mind would embrace that idea with much enthusiasm, since the mentality of those “fans” seems to be to find a scapegoat and do whatever is needed to destroy his hockey career. Pretty sad.

19. spos080808 says:

How about not booing and standing behind your team through thick and thin? Ever think about that as the answer to your question.

20. ed lopaz says:

Since there are fans who will boo the American national anthem, why is anyone surprised that they will boo during the first exhibition game.?

I was at a game, years ago, when Larry Robinson was booed relentlessly all night.

SO WHAT!!!

Guy Lafleur has been booed as well.

You guys who are “worried” or “upset” or “shocked” should just grow a pair, and wake up to reality.

If you put 21,273 people in an arena, sell them as many beers as they want, there will always be a few hundred that act out.

Oh ya, one other thing.

When your goalie who played 18/19 playoff games leads you  to your first East Conf championship series in

17 years, posting a .960 save % in 5 elimination games against Ovechkin and Crosby,

and you decide to trade him,

there are probably going to be a few unhappy fans hanging around at the beginning of the season.

The fans were booing the “decision” to trade Halak as much or than they were booing Price.

ALL PRICE HAS TO DO IS WIN, and all will be forgiven.

That’s why athletes play professional sports – to get paid to win – and that’s why fans PAY BIG DOLLARS to watch sports – to see their team WIN.

When Price leads this team to a winning record, the booing will be long forgotten.

21. LizardKing1967 says:

Thanks to the media (and I mean ALL the media), We cannot have normal conversations about ANY of our players, especially the goalie. Did Price ask to be drafted by the Habs? Didi Price ask to be brought to the NHL at 19? Did Price ask BG to trade Huet? Did Price ask PG to trade Halak? He didn’t ask for any of this! He is ONLY 23. He is only the third goaltender in HISTORY to get 60 wins before the age of 23. His save percentage for his first three years is EQUAL to Patrick Roy’s and Martin Brodeur’s for their first three years in the NHL. His save percentage for his first three years is actually BETTER than Roy’s was in his first three years. I am NOT comparing him to them at all, but this has become rediculous! Leave the friggin’ guy alone already. Yes, I agree, he needs to start winning if he wants to be our no. 1 goalie, but HE DID NOT ASK FOR ANY OF THIS. I would not be surprised if he requested a trade before Xmas, the way the fans treat him.

Plus, Halak lost to Philly too!.He played as poorly against them as Price did two years ago. GIVE IT A DAMN REST!!!!

Jim-out. I BELIEVE!

22. Storm Man says:

Im sorry you’re where you are in your life. I guess you need to try harder so you don’t get booooed as much.

23. observer says:

exactly. and where was that media or habs team outrage when they booed kovalev? just because gainey is obsessed with this one the fans NOW are attacked after the poor play by price since january 2009?

24. Clay4bc says:

OK, so I agree it was stupid to boo Price in his first pre-season game, even though he did royally defecate in the boudoir. But my question is this – when is it ok to voice displeasure with his apathetic and lack-luster goal-tending? 5 games into the season? 10? 20? Face it – he has not been good for a long time, with just a few rare exceptions. Didn’t he play “great” in just 3 games last season?

Trevor Kidd Revisited. Jim Carey Rehashed. Will Carey Price have his name as well go down as being synonomous with “flash in the pan”, or “showed great promise, but couldn’t handle the NHL game”? Let’s hope not, but with every crappy start, this looks more and more likely. Enough with the excuses…it’s time for Price to poop or get off the pot – and I don’t mean this single pre-season game; I mean this season. He has to earn his money now, because he sure didn’t earn the contract he got.

__________________________

– George Orwell –

25. Bill J says:

Yeah because two guys who agree with each other = They are dating.

Maybe in “your world” that’s how things work.

Perhaps yeah Storm Man & I share a common love, but it is the HABS you F-ing dolt!

Not each other.

26. ZepFan2 says:

What about the, na na na hey hey goodbye chant?

Up by 5 goals or just 1?

————————————————————————–

– Steven Tyler

27. G-Man says:

Oh no! Skewered again by the rapier-like wit of Storm Man. Woe is me!

28. Everlasting1 says:

But does she know about Bill?

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

29. Storm Man says:

I see your blind also. In my pic you can see who Im dating.

30. Storm Man says:

He always try’s to make a point. I would like it to be something instead of the tip of his head.

31. Everlasting1 says:

You two dating?

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

32. Everlasting1 says:

Vacuous you remain.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

33. Storm Man says:

I like your grade 3 comeback ” With my head that big and all” Are you saying I have a ego?… You bet I do. I would not have the life I have if I did not.

34. Bill J says:

What head ?

I doubt the existence of such a thing on “Everlasting1″ as he makes no effort to use it.

35. Storm Man says:

I guess my post was above your head.

36. likehoy says:

how can someone’s career go so awry?

- I support Carey Price as the Number 1 Goalie!

37. Rob says:

We are by far the loudest arena in North America.  But louder that football (soccer) fans?  There’s no comparison.

38. Bill J says:

Wrong again.

He doesn’t know it all, we ALL know it, except for you.

Proving only one thing, you know … Well nothing about this subject.

39. G-Man says:

Okay. I apologize. You obviously know it all.

40. fbkj says:

i wasnt being a dick with my reply just telling you how it is

and gave you some insight as to how the other teams feel

last season sam ganger’s sister told me this, in previous season, adam foote’s mother, nigel dawes father (which btw this guy is a shameless pussy hound who’s using his sons status, whatever it is, to further his endeavours as a cocksman lol)

41. Bill J says:

Clearly I have.

You’re a horrible fan and I recognize it.

:D