Canadiens win in Pittsburgh

GalMol
Unless Alex Galchenyuk turns into the second coming of Lindsay Vallis, your Montreal Canadiens had a successful 2012 draft.
We may not see the results for a while.
Galchenyuk played only eight games for Sarnia after pre-season knee surgery. Barring a spectacular training camp, he’s likely headed back to the OHL.
None of the other draftees is going to crack the big team’s lineup.
But in a year or two …
Marc Bergevin said he had targeted Galchenyuk since becoming the Canadiens’ general manager. And he got him.
On Day 2 of the draft, the Canadiens landed three players many had expected might go on Day 1: Sebastien Collberg, Dalton Thrower and Tim Bozon.
And they drafted a trio of sleepers in Brady Vail, Charles Hudon and Erik Nystrom.
Again, the seven draftees aren’t going to be waving at fans in a Stanley Cup parade next June.
But by all accounts, Timmins and his team did a solid job of finding promising youngsters for Bergevin’s new development staff.
• But Kevin Allen of USA Today wasn’t overly impressed
• François Gagnon: Patience with Galchenyuk

1. Habs1996 says:

wjc…gomez has tone of chance to succeed.I would like to give him another one but is it really worth the price?
    Karbele:your right,but another one fills that position already.Markov(for who i hope the best)and Gorges(on this one ,dont try to argue).
    Bourque:not playing at his price but deserves a second chance.althought ,trading him for another winger would be more of a plus.
    Engvist:i dont know about that,maybe just keep him to lead the hamilton bulldogs

2. boing007 says:

If there’s another lockout which activity do you think will take up some of the extra TV time this time around? I vote for women’s mud wrestling.

Richard R
    Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

3. Marc10 says:

Interesting observations on 98.5 from Dany Dube.

From his observations of both Yak and Galley, he thinks we picked the right prospect.

My synopsis (with colour…)

Our kid is serious, was at the gym the very next morning and is built like a brick sh*thouse. The other kid… Not so much.

From his vantage point, Dube likened the draft to Chouinard and Simon Gagne… Chouinard hadn’t been injured and thus looked better than Gagne to some scouts; right up until Gagne hit the ice in Philly that is…

Score one for Timmins… again!

4. JayK-47 says:

Looking at the Carolina-Pittsburgh swap, I think it was a Gainey-ish move on Carolina’s part to trade 3 assets for a player they could have got for free a year later. For Carolina to have given up so much to save that year, seems like a waste.

• Do what you have to do to win the cup, at least show your fans you’re trying.

It’s not like a team is going to win it twice in a row, so does it matter if you win it in 2013, or 2014?

Sooner rather than later will do. Plus, fans will be in the seats just to watch the brothers play together. There’s more to adding a player than just adding a player, you have to look at all aspects of the game to understand it completely.

Not saying you don’t understand, just pointing out a very important fact. The Canes have bills to pay, and a new jersey on the rack and sold out arenas will help that.

They Call Me Shane
      “They never asked to be Canadiens, they were Chosen.”
      Shane Oliver
      Twitter @Sholi2000
      Custom Sports Figures

• boing007 says:

The Canes need more than just Jordan Staal if they want to contend next season.

Richard R
        Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

• Marc10 says:

Well yes and no. They didn’t want to wait a year and I guess they didn’t rate what they gave up.

Mostly I just think they were trying to make up for the crushing loss of one Eric Cole… (One of PG’s master strokes… That and the Wiz – he should get heady praise for those.)

• showey47 says:

IMO its not a gainey-ish move because jordan wants to play with his brother and he will re-sign with the canes. Possibly even for much less then the pens offerered him.

5. habstrinifan says:

Cathal Kelly writing in the Toronto Star re England’s approach (note I use the word approach not performance) in the soccer game against Italy.

“Theirs was a game without ambition based on a foundation of fear.”

“All game long, they took the coward’s route — the one that goes backward and leads to penalties.”

Reminds you of anyone?

6. habstrinifan says:

Habitant-in-Surrey I just read your extract from the Backhand Shelf. Beautiful writing. I dont think I have read her work before… will from now on.

Thanks.

7. Habitant in Surrey says:

Cathal Kelley, The Toronto Sun; http://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer/article/1216551–kelly-italy-eliminates-england-in-euro-quarter-final-shootout

…An excoriating disemboweling of British soccer by Cathal Kelley

“Faced with a chance to assert the quality of the English game, England instead ran from Italy for 120 minutes. Theirs was a game without ambition based on a foundation of fear. It was embarrassing to watch, and puts the lie to the idea that England belong in the elite of world football.

Sunday night was their chance to prove they are as good as the professional league they host. If the Premiership is the world’s best, we now know it’s down to all the foreigners.”…

“They (Italy) saved hundreds of millions of neutral fans the trouble of watching at least one crushing bore in the semis (vs Germany) . If England were too afraid to attack Italy — a team that has scored only one goal here from open play in four games — can you imagine how they would approach Germany? The next few days might have been spent trying to figure out if it makes more spatial sense to stack 11 men in the goalmouth side-by-side or one on top of the other.”

…wow, if this is being written in Toronna, I pity the blokes when they return to Jolly ol’ England :(

• habstrinifan says:

Dead on! I watched the game and was absolutely pissed that a coach can ‘force’ his athletes to play with a strategy like that. It was so uncalled for that it was useless.

And of course I still have the sour taste of JM’s passive resistance crap in my system which made me wretch even more.

What a waste of an opportunity. And they did not play like this in previous games in this tournament.

Worthless coaching.

• HabFanSince72 says:

England didn’t set out to play like that. They just don’t have the technique (ball control, passing) to play top level international football. As in every tournament I can recall, England lost to the first decent side they encountered. Haven’t beaten a top side in international competition since Argentina in 2002.

But give Italy some credit, especially the superb Andrea Pirlo.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

8. Marc10 says:

It’s a credit to their marketing department that the Leafs are able to sell anything with their logo on it. They are the LA Clippers of the NHL. Luckily for them, the Lakers are in Montreal…

The only reason they are able to maintain a healthy brand is because there are no competitors in the Toronto Metro area. Get a new team in there with a competent GM and they’ll be up s*** creek.

Speaking of troubled brands… I was thinking of our man Bourque.

He is the key to next season, IMO. If by some miracle MT is able to get this guy playing like a power forward with an edge (Scottie Hartnell), we’ll be in business. Pleks will have a line. If he’s the semi-comatose outpatient we saw last year… we just don’t have the team to carry a guy like that.

From my perspective, that’s the season right there and MT’s biggest challenge. Fix Bourque and you fix a lot of problems.

• JayK-47 says:

If Gionta (lower body, biceps tear) and Bourque (brain cramps, heart transplant) show up healthy next year, I think the Habs will be icing a pretty good forward line-up.

9. Habsolutely says:

So I was just reading an article about the Schenn for Van Riemsdyk trade, and Van Riemsdyk is quoted as saying thus:

“To go to a place like Toronto is unbelievably exciting for me,” Van Riemsdyk said on a conference call. “Just the tradition they have there, the city, the fans it’s all unbelievable and growing up a big-time Yankees fans, a good analogy for me is that it’s like playing for the New York Yankees of the NHL.”

So I’m like, Whiskey Tango Foxtrot? The “tradition”??
    What “tradition” is that? Missing the playoffs for the last 7 years?
    Or is it the “tradition” of not winning a championship since 1967?
    and I’m pretty sure that everyone knows that the Habs and the Yankees are linked due to their numerous championships and their dominance in their respective sports.

So I guess what I’m saying is WTF, is this kid smoking?

• wjc says:

Habsolutely….. the tradition being the most recognizable logo in the world along with the Montreal Canadiens.

Toronto fans that live and breathe their team like the Montreal Canadiens. Where a stanley cup would send the fans into the streets singing and dancing.

In the hockey world the leafs/Canadiens are like the Yankees/red sox. Millions of fans around the world still waiting for that magic.
      Believe it or not, some players want to be treated like rock stars.

• Habsolutely says:

” the tradition being the most recognizable logo in the world”

you must be smoking the same stuff as him.

• wjc says:

Habsolutely….The leafs and the Canadiens sell the most merchandise in the hockey world, with the logo’s on it. The Leafs have the most recognizable brand in hockey. They actually outsell the Canadiens by a long shot. Ontario is a huge market.

They sell tons of stuff and money my friend, does not lie. Just follow the money

• HabFan in Edmonton says:

Whatever he is smoking, I want some !

• Habsolutely says:

It’s the typical Ontario “center of the universe” attitude. Their team hasn’t done $hit in nigh on 50 years and they act like they are the kings of the world. It’s so laughable. They love to make fun of us Habs fans because we haven’t won since 93 and I look at them and say “there’s a big difference between 93 and 67 buddy!!”

• commandant says:

This is like the 4th guy the leafs have acquired or traded for who has called the team… “The New York Yankees of Hockey” in the last 2 years. Burke clearly has the PR Department giving these guys the cliche before they even do their press conference.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

• Habsolutely says:

haha, you must have read my mind. I was gonna say that. Burke and the PR squad has plenty of koolaid ready for these guys to sip on. And the sheep, AKA Leafs fans, fall for it every time.

• Habsolutely says:

“selling stuff” is great I guess. especially if you are the owner who makes a profit…. But I respect habs fans. They don’t put up with $hit like that. When their team sucks, they let the current owner know they are not happy, and that mediocrity is not acceptable. If the habs were 50 years removed from a championship, the owner would need extra security. I’d take passionate fans like that any day over Laff fans who bend over and say give it to me.

• ianism says:

he’s just saying what needs to be said for a guy in his situation. he’s complimenting the city he’s going to be playing in. toronto fans will eat that stuff up and love him. that’s how it works.

it’s not a big deal. *shrugs*

• Habsolutely says:

good for you skippy. sorry other peoples opinions hurt your feelings.

• Propwash says:

Ianism makes a very valid point. As funny as it may be, no hockey player, or any pro athlete is gonna say “well, sonovab***h, my career has stooped to the level to playing for the Maple Leafs, might as well do the walk of shame”

_____________________________
          “Access Forbidden” gettin’ ya down?
          Hold down Shift while clicking refresh.

• Habsolutely says:

Well of course, that’s a given. It doesn’t refute my opinion or my post in any way though does it? His quote makes no sense in reality. Just because it’s a bunch of PC nonsense that panders to Laff fans doesn’t mean I can’t call it out for being ridiculous and nonsensical.

• wjc says:

He said “it is no big deal” didn’t sound like his feelings were hurt.

wjc

• Habsolutely says:

actually, he said:

“it’s not a big deal. *shrugs*”

which tells me that my post hurt his sensitive feelings toward the Leafs. Kind’ve like how you are from Ontario, and my post seems to have hit a nerve with you as well. Not sure if you’re aware of this, but this is a Habs fan site.

• Rozz says:

Habsolutely, im getting the same thing from him so your not alone.. although i will say im from Niagara Falls Ont. and proudly say F*** the Leafs but i also living in BC now so take that as you will LOL

“When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.”

Mark Twain.

• Habsolutely says:

No problem dude. I have lots of friends in Ontario and I know there are lots of diehard Habs fans in Ontario. But I stand by my post. It’s ridiculous to compare the leafs to the yankees and it’s ridiculous to talk about their “tradition”. Just because Van Riemsdyk was pandering to Laff fans doesn’t mean I can’t comment on it. The fact that some so called habs fans here got so upset at my post speaks volumes.

P.S. I love White Widow!!

• Rozz says:

Oh no man, i fully agree with you assesment of ontario,Burke, the leafs, and the PR nonsense.. that’s why I no longer live there, as its hard to live with that surrounding you everyday. And I fully agree about some of these supposed habs fans .. shocking really.. just go look down at what his reaction to some of my posts have been. LMAO

..and the widow is DA S***

Mark Twain.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I posted this yesterday, I guess it applies to this situation too, not just the draft.

“One thing I’m wondering about, but am too lazy to actually research, is what a draftee says to the local press after being drafted by the New York Islanders or the Columbus Blue Jackets. In Montréal, we keep hearing the same things, how excited they are to be part of such a prestigious organization. We know these kids are trained to deal with the media and their responses are rehearsed, but what about if they’re Long Island bound? What’s the script then?”

“….”

• wjc says:

The Islander reply or would be “happy to be on a team on the way up.’ Hope to be here when they win the Stanley cup. Now…gimmee the money baby because I am a multi millionaire now

wjc

• Habsolutely says:

You bring up a good point. I perfectly understand a player saying, “hey, I’m so glad to be here, this is a first class outfit”.
        but when he starts talking about tradition and comparing the team to the Yankees. That’s a little too much for me. The Leafs haven’t done squat in nearly 50 years. Pointe finale.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

The tradition is losing, but it’s still a tradition. Give the kid a break, he just got traded to the Maple Leafs.

• JayK-47 says:

okay…….. I was warped down the page. Weird.

10. Un Canadien errant says:

Does anyone have a list or link to undrafted players invited to Canadiens Training Camp? Or is that not out yet?

Edit: Just came across this from Luc Gélinas of RDS: “Toutefois, Félix Girard, le capitaine du Drakar de Baie-Comeau et le gardien Maxime Lagacé du Rocket de l’Île-du-Prince-Édouard seront du nombre des espoirs invités au camp de développement de l’équipe.”

11. Habs1996 says:

Trade Blunden,Bourque,Engvist,Gomez,Kaberle,St-Denis,Nokelainen or Slaney

• Bill says:

Here is what you could get for each on the trade market:

Blunden: 6th rounder
      Enqvist: zero
      St. Denis: 7th rounder
      Nokelainen: a Mathieu Darche rookie card
      Slaney: a slice of bread
      Gomez: fifty cents and a half-chewed piece of gum
      Bourque: a kick in the nads

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Rozz says:

woah woah woah.. hold on there!
        .. 50 cents maybe, but no one is giving you a half-chewed piece of gum for gomer. hehe..

Mark Twain.

• wjc says:

Habs1996…. do you mean trade or give away. I’m afraid Bergerion is not in the habit of making impulsive decisions.

The defense needs Kaberle, the forwards need Bourque, Gomez, perhaps Engvist.

Do you not want to see Gomez succeed, do you really think Kaberle is not needed as veteran leadership.

If the right deal comes along of course you consider these options. But giving away players is not in the Canadiens best interest.

12. Un Canadien errant says:

Great article in Grantland about Terrell Owens. Some really dark stuff going through his head, he’s in bankruptcy court now, has been released from his arena football team.

T.O. is a pathological narcissist and not a sympathetic figure to anyone, but he has a background. Hockey players are routinely described as the best-mannered and most likable athletes out of the four major team sports in North America. A good reason for that is that most kids who make it to the NHL had a stable home life and good parents to support them financially and emotionally as they jumped the hurdles to the bigs. Kids from a poor single-parent family will not likely be kitted out for hockey, or be driven to hockey practice early mornings and weekends. Mom might need to work two jobs to just pay the bills. Football and basketball players likewise don’t necessarily have the same advantages as these great kids we saw on the weekends with devoted parents.

I can’t stand T.O., he’s a selfish jerk and should have been a decathlete instead of a football player. He’s a fame whore and a boor and I never wanted him to win, whatever team he was on, since he kneecapped Jeff Garcia, one of the toughest, best football players I’ve ever seen.

Reading this piece though, it’s hard to really bask in the schadenfreude. It’s not like when the wrestling villain finally gets his comeuppance at the hands of Jacques Rougeau or the Can-Am Connection, the catharsis isn’t pleasurable. This is real life, and he has kids mixed up in the collapse of his career and his life. Somehow, the story is ending the way we always knew it would, it’s as formulaic as any Hollywood offering, but there’s no payoff.

13. Bill says:

Okay, so I’m over-posting here, and I’m sure this has been noted before, AND I am aware that this does not pertain to the Montreal Canadiens, but still:

Toronto GM Brian Burke: “We had this player (Morgan Rielly) rated first overall …This is a guy that if we had with the first pick, we would have taken.”

Toronto Head Scout Dave Morrison: “In an ideal world, obviously we would have liked to have taken a centre”.

These are quotes from the same draft day … which is it, guys??

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Un Canadien errant says:

Brian Burke is rapidly becoming a caricature of himself.

• Rozz says:

that’s simple.. its Burke, just being Burke. of course they wanted Galchenyuk. but there is no way Burke was going to admit that in any way he wasn’t the winner … god i hate saying Burke that many times in one sentance lol

• wjc says:

Ross…you said of course he wanted Galchenyuk, how would you know that. You can guess who he wanted. Of COURSE you could guess, but, how could you possibly know.

• Rozz says:

Simple.. I pretend to know everything… Isn’t that what most people on here do? lol
          But in all seriousness i don’t know, that my opinion and take on it, how could you possibly know if I’m wrong? You can’t! You questioned it based on your opinion of what i said as i made my comment based on my opinion oh what bill said.
          but further more i would hope you have enough sense to see i was making cheeky comment just to bash Burke a lil’ bit, as i don’t like the leafs and it’s my god given right as a Canadiens fan to do so. Don’t take things to seriously bro. SMILE :D

Mark Twain.

• wjc says:

Ross….you may very well be right. That is not the issue. Making a statement based on opinion is fine with me. But, you said of course he wanted Galchenyuk.

Okay you may have been having a little fun with your assertions. Reilly may turn out to be all Burke wants him to be. Like we hope Galchenyuk will be.

The Gomez hate on here is baffling to me. If he played for the Leafs I could understand it. Canadiens are going to need experienced centers. Galchenyuk will be going back to Sarnia. I still think Gomez and Gionta on the same line could be a force. Perhaps Bourque on the wing to crash the net and go to the dirty spots.

• Rozz says:

WJC… let start off by getting one thing Straight, Its ROZZ (2 Z’s not 2 S’s)
            Ok now that that is cleared up, next on the list is I believe he wanted Galchenyuk and prior to the draft where we selected him and the leafs selected Reilly. Almost their entire leaf’s board over on HF along with many other hockey forum sites wanted Galchenyuk; the media believed they wanted Galchenyuk. It’s not like I’m saying they wanted Maata for their fifth overall. This isn’t coming from left field.
            Everyone knows they needed a number one center just as we did… mind you amongst other things too. But it was only after selecting Reilly was there any indication from any source that suggested that Burke wanted anything other than Yakopov and Galchenyuk. hell their Agent came out on record stating that Burke wanted both of his guys and there was suspicion that he was gonna try and pull some sort of trade to make it happen… so then he comes out and states that his # 1 guy all along was Reilly.. Which is a typical thing to be said, as its been pointed out. But in the end I don’t believe Burke, and I’m calling him a liar… What I stated was my opinion and sorry that it appears to hurt your leaf loving feelings but you really need to let it go man.
            I already stated that I was having fun at Burke’s expense. Still you press the issue, when there really isn’t one. Now I’ve read some of your responses to other too, couple that with you huge support of Gomez and now I must admit that I’m lead to believe a couple things about you
            1. You are an overly sensitive person
            2. You are in some way related or affiliated with Gomez
            3. You are secretly a leaf fan
            And if these are not the truth then..
            4. you have an obsession being anal retentive and wasting others time
            but any ways man as i have said before.. lighten up and SMILE :D

Mark Twain.

• HabFan in Edmonton says:

Which is it, guys ?? Easy to figure out, the Leafs are going to turn Morgan Reilly into a centre. It will be the experiment that turns the Leafs into cup winners and Brian Bruke will be lauded as some sort of genius. Then he will become a Canadian citizen and run for Prime Minister to save us.

• commandant says:

Stupid Red Kelly

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

• wjc says:

Rozz….wow! that was quite a tangent. I think your feelings were hurt and for that I apologize. You analyzed me pretty good, you should put a shingle out.
        1. not a leaf fan.
        2. Not a relative of Gomez

Hope that clears up some of your anxiety issues. Just want what is best for Montreal and having a productive Gomez is good for Montreal. Might happen, not impossible, Bergerion is no fool, he needs a productive Gomez and Gionta

He needs Kabrele…Galchenyuk is headed back to Sarnia…guarantee that

Start cheering for the team you love, and get rid of all the hostility. You are probably a swell guy, that just needs a nudge in the right direction

• Rozz says:

WJC … LMAO, nice try to flip to MR. nice guy once you’ve been called out. then try the passive aggressive “I’m not offended, but here let me give you some backhanded pep up compliments” approach, not fooling anyone. But good try none the less.

Now as far as talking hockey sir, a productive Gomez would be amazing.. not looking likely… and I’m really sorry that it seem that you cannot let that go. (But that’s typical when someone deals with Obsession and Anal retentiveness)

Gionta i believe will be back with a vengeance. He’s got drive, heart and tons of skill

Kaberle, meh… He might be done, he might come back to prove all the nay Sayers wrong. I am actually inclined to believe the latter of the 2

And thanks for your encouragement… I do and always will live and die by my Canadiens.

You should really try just cheering for you team, instead of living in the closet so to speak (cough*, leafs, cough*)

Sorry you’ve made it too much fun now to not bug you. Any way maybe this will sink in this time.. JUST LIGHTEN UP AND SMILE BUDDY :D

Mark Twain.

• wjc says:

He liked Reilly and had him slated as number 1, however, in a perfect world he would have been a center. Being a center would have made him the perfect pick.

Probably building Reily up a bit, but he could be right, time will tell.

• EnemyTerritory says:

In fairness to Burke, what else can he say? Every team has some version of the “he was first on our list”, “we could not believe he was still available”, “we’re lucky to have had him fall into our laps” etc … tunes that we hear every year.

Brian Burke is just such a divisive figure that even when he sings the same songs, we are all happy to jump on him. I am by no means a fan of his bluster and style (truculence?) , but I don’t think that his Rielly comment is all that bad.

And we should let Leaf fans have one happy day, right?

• Bill says:

Well, his comment was just made in his usual, over-the-top, blustery way … and it’s obviously a lie. He just rubs me the wrong way.

And no, there is no need to let Leafs fans have one happy day, haha.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Rozz says:

Bill, i couldn’t agree with you more.

Mark Twain.

• wjc says:

but Rozz you seem to be listening to Burke also. Listening is how you learn. I think you know that.

wjc

• Rozz says:

i see you were trying to be Clever.. dont feel bad its not for every one there champ.

Mark Twain.

• wjc says:

Bill….I think Burke is great entertainment. I don’t think he takes himself as seriously as you may think. We need more general managers like him actually. People didn’t like Gautier because he was to serious and hate Burke because he has the trademark loosened tie and scouls and overstates a little. When Burke speaks I listen because of his entertainment value.

I think people are afraid Burke is going to make the Leafs much better. Building a winner takes time as Montreal knows.

• Rozz says:

When Burke talks you listen because you’re CLEARLY a Leaf Fan. :D

Mark Twain.

14. The Dude says:

So besides trades,when is the timetable up on the Subban ,Price and the rest of last years LAST place up for negotiations athletes?

15. Bill says:

Also … I have said this many times, but … why wouldn’t the Habs offer a tryout to Alex and Allain Saulnier, the identical twin stars of the Moncton Wildcats?

Okay, so they’re both average-sized (6’0″/180), but they’ve done nothing but produce at every level so far. They’re still undrafted, with another year of junior eligibility.

Obviously, NHL scouts don’t feel they can cut it at the next level, or they would have been drafted by now. But these are some really talented, French Canadian hockey players, and I’d like to see the Habs give them a shot. If these guys were from Quebec instead of New Brunswick, I guarantee it would have happened by now.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…I believe the Bergevin Era will include lifting every conceivable rock to find and give ‘opportunity’ to Francophone players Bill …so, if these 2 ‘have it’, I am sure they will be looked at

• Un Canadien errant says:

I concur with your assessment.

Bill, I never heard of these kids, I’m off to the Googledome.

• boing007 says:

Interesting image: Bergevin and his team in the wilds of Quebec, picks, shovels and trowels in hand, foraging for Francophone players.

Richard R
        Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

16. Bill says:

Having this moment of euphoria where I CAN’T BELIEVE WE GOT GALCHENYUK!!

I’d have been happy with Murray, but this is exactly the guy we’ve needed for years. I can’t wait to see this guy play in a couple years …

Full Breezer 4 Life

17. Andy and the habs says:

checking if i have pic

18. Habitant in Surrey says:

La Longue Duree; Ellen Etchingham; Backhand Shelf: http://blogs.thescore.com/nhl/2012/06/22/la-longue-duree-and-other-thoughts-about-the-entry-draft/

‘ Because, despite its incomprehensibility, despite its mystery, despite the fact that you know somewhere somehow something is happening in Pittsburgh today that’s going to fuck your team badly four years from now, the entry draft is still the happiest day of the hockey calendar. Nobody loses on draft day. Sure, you could screw it up if you really want to, you could go up to the podium with the first overall pick and take some elephantine overage defenseman from the WHL who makes even Pierre Mcguire cringe, but few teams are ever so stupid as to do anything obviously self-destructive at the draft. For the most part, teams pick pretty close to the consensus, nobody goes too far off board, and everybody gets something good.
    Everybody gets something good. How often does that happen in the NHL? How often do you have a moment where every team, no matter how great or terrible, high or low, profitable or insolvent, just gets something for free? Only on Draft Day. At the Entry Draft, there are no sellers, no tankers, no failures. Nobody gets fired, nobody quits, nobody gets destroyed. Everyone is buying, everyone is building. YOU get a new right wing and YOU get a new right wing, EVERYBODY gets a new right wing! Everything is grinning GMs and teary moms and teenagers beaming awkwardly down their sticks in promo photos, and media fluttering around with softball questions, trying to figure out who are going to be their best quote-buddies for years to come.
    Some days hockey is a game and some days hockey is a business, but draft day is one of those rare, sweet moments when hockey is a family. It’s like going to your cousin’s wedding- sure, if you think about it, it’s just one single moment in the whole length of a very complicated life, something involving all sort of deep and complicated shit you could not hope to understand. But you don’t need to understand. You’re not there to understand. Just smile big, raise your glass, and celebrate the mystery. ‘

Did any of the Soccer fans out there see Pirlo’s Shootout Penalty Kick? I am not of fan of the Italy team (my allegiance lies elsewhere) but that was a brilliant cheeky penalty kick. Very Impressive.

• Mike Boone says:

Pirlo was great from start to finish. England had no answer for him in midfield.

Mike Boone
      Hockey Inside/Out blogger
      Gazette City columnist
      mboone@montrealgazette.com

England really needs to take a hard look at the style of game they play. They seem to rely completely on set pieces and provide little to no ball possession and build to scoring chances. The premiereship is a great league but almost every club relies on non English players to be their stars or setup men.

Too bad, I was pulling for England, but Italy deserved the win.

• Marc10 says:

Most of my friends are Poms and although they are some of the nicest people you’ll ever meet… when it comes to sports… their compatriots are the worst bunch of tossers you’re ever likely to meet.

England generally win F all in most sports (the exception will be the London Games where they’re spending half their GDP to get a result…) Yet the odd time they actually win something, they go out of their way to sledge the opposition. They are insufferable and shameless. No matter how many years they under-achieve or downright suck, they carry on like they’re the second coming of Brazil.

It’s a very good thing for all of us that they’ve lost yet again.

It’s absolutely critical that Ol’ Blighty make zero adjustments to their game and continue to under-perform.

That being said, I can’t stand Italy. :-)

• Shane1313 says:

Sad Stuff for me – England is my team…
          It was tight, Italy dominated possession, but England looked dangerous at times. That was cheeky, I like Hart..not cocky, but maybe Pirlo was doing that at Hart, because of his smiling and almost laughing. It was so brilliant the kick. I dislike Italy, so this was a tough one!!

• toinz says:

Pirlo said after the game that he did the cucchiaio (chip shot) on purpose to get in the head of the English keeper Joe Hart. You can argue that these things dont have an effect, but watching your keeper get humiliated might put a little extra pressure on the next kicker.

Also Burly, the Germans have never beaten Italy in tournament play. It would be like the Habs vs Bruins playoff series advantage, except without the Bruins winning anything.

• L Elle says:

I actually watched that. Shootouts are exciting as heck, but same as hockey, seems so unfair to decide a game that way.

But since it’s soccer, the game could’ve gone on for 3 more days. ;)

The better team on the pitch won the game, agree shootout is not an ideal way to finish game. Liked soccer/football better when the golden goal (sudden death O/T) settled the score. But shootouts have been part of soccer/football for a long time.

• L Elle says:

What do I know about soccer? Growing up, it was Habs in the winter, and Expos in the summer. :)

• citizenSanto says:

What an Awesome game! The Italian side dominated possession and out chanced the English. Never liked the shootout myself as luck plays too great a role. However, the Azzurri were brilliant, and Pirlo was a magician all game. I loved the description of Pirlo’s kick by the commentator, saying “it was arrogance, it was calculated, it was effective”.

It should be a fantastic match against Germany this Thursday. I’ll admit, the Germans will most likely be the victors. Yet, this well coached team of Italians may actually find a way to prevail.

FORZA AZZURRI!!!

—————————————
          Hope has two beautiful daughters. Their names are anger and courage; anger at the way things are, and courage to see that they do not remain the way they are. — Augustine of Hippo

Germany vs Italy is always a crapshoot, I look forward to the game. May the best team win!

• citizenSanto says:

I think Italy has overachieved thus far. So, I’ll be happy either way as long as it’s a good game.

Best of luck to your side Burly. If they do win, I’m rooting for them to take it all.

• Chuck says:

I’m surprised that more guys don’t try that move. You just know that the keeper is diving left or right, so why not hesitate, force the goalie to commit, and dump it down the middle?

___________________________________________________

• nickster13 says:

Because odds are the goalie can read it anyways, and if you shoot hard, youre liable to hit him anyways

“I don’t wanna see Maurice tonight, I want the rocket!”

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…I didn’t watch the game, but the ‘shoot themselves in their feet Brits’ are My team, if I have any allegiances in soccer outside Canada’s team Gerald
      …must be mass depression in England at this moment
      …bummer :(
      …if only Churchill were still alive :)

Clicking on your Avatar I would have thought you would be pulling for the Dutch squad? English soccer needs to have a Summit and figure things out. They are not developing the quality of player they used to, in my opinion. Some nice players with touch, crosses etc. like Beckham, Gerrard but lacking the creative midfielder per se.

(Based on your last name having a Dutch look to it)

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…Canadians …mongrelized and bastardized :)

• solomio says:

Speak for yourself there pardner

“I figure Bergevin has 3 or 4 moves left to bring the Habs that extra step closer to perhaps being the best in the league.” – Einstein

@Solomio, sorry but your post reeks of Hypocrisy. You say the Habs haven’t added anything because we don’t know how the draft pans out long term, yet somehow you know Buffalo’s draft choice of two center’s have panned out? WTF? Sorry couldn’t read anything else in your post past that complete ridiculous statement.

Edit: How does adding Ribeiro make Washington better? Was it that tremdendous playoff success in Dallas? Interesting perspective.

• solomio says:

@Habi
      Hey Habi..I think hypocrisy may not be the right word to use in that context but none the less… actually the draft was not the main idea of my message. The idea was to point out that Habs have not improved themselves over last years squad but some rivals have done so to wit Toronto and Washington. You think Ribeiro doesn’t make the Caps a better team? I do. Personally I have disliked him since his days with the Habs but there is no denying that he is a skilled hockey player.
      With regards to draft picks panning out there is no way of knowing really, it’s fate more than anything never the less I was impressed with the Sabres picking up to first class centermen and if you like, compared to the Habs picking up one.

Hope I haven’t upset your olfactory senses too much.

I just don’t see how the sabers improved thru the draft. I give them full marks for getting Hodgson out of Vancouver. I think they robbed Vancouver, but we can’t compare the Habs of Pg to the Habs of MB just yet. I like most every move he has made (admit apprehensive about Therrien). But MB to me has done too many things right to begin slagging him. I think the draft went well, but obviously to early to know. I shall remain optimistic with the new Hab regime!

• solomio says:

Habi… you don;t see how Buffalo has improved thru the draft?
          Then I suggest you read up on both Mikhail Grigorenko and Zemgus Girgensons.
          And I haven’t slagged MB and I too am apprehensive of Therrien.
          Its easy to understand building for the future, which our Habs have been doing for a really long time now but I would like to see some NHL caliber players added to the team for this years run nd next years.

21. Carta-Hab says:

Sorry for this question which may have an answer staring me in the face, but how do you setup an avatar for your profile? I’m new!

Mike Milbury, Don Cherry, and PJ Stock….The three stooges of HNIC.

22. Habitant in Surrey says:

…l’AntiChambre’s Flynn thought Dumba was better choice over Galchenyuk ?
    …well, Galchenyuk was My long preferred preference, including over Yakupov
    …but it was Dumba always the ‘second-thought’, and doubt, at the back of My mind whom is best for Our Team
    …if there was any confidence in My mind that Eller, Pleks and/or Desharnais could carry-the-mail as a number one centre, I would have selected Dumba …no doubt about it
    …Dumba with PK, Markov, Beaulieu, Ellis, Gorges and Emelin ? …mmmm, sublime !
    …and Larry to mold Them ? …D-eelicious ! :)

_________________________________________________________
    Michel F.Therrien ???: HIS’ new Official Habs’ Fan Theme Song; Morrissey/The Smiths ‘Heaven Knows I’m Miserable Now': http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfkvPnjb9hs
    _________________________________________________________
    HIO’s BC Odd Couple: UCe, the supercilious stickler; and HIS, the stubbornly relentless ‘schismatist’ :)
    _________________________________________________________
    What I WANT ! is an aircraft carrier at centre and nuclear destroyers on each wing going to the net like bats out of Hell !, …NO MORE rubber duckies !!!
    _________________________________________________________
    Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

• ProHabs says:

That’s why we have Tinordi.

• Carta-Hab says:

In all fairness Tinordi’s offensive projection is nowhere near what Dumba’s is. In fact, Tinordi doesn’t have much offence period. Dumba brings the best of both words. Of course, the team has other players who can play offensive roles on defence.

I would have liked to see the team take Forsberg if Gally wasn’t available personally.

Mike Milbury, Don Cherry, and PJ Stock….The three stooges of HNIC.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…I forgot about Tinordi PH …Dumba + Tinordi, You may add an extra mmmm :)

• ProHabs says:

Would have been great to get Dumba as well. If only we had 2 first rounders in the top 10. But Alex G was the guy I was hoping for so I am a happy camper.
          I was hoping the Habs were going to trade both 2nd rounders for another first but no complaints about the Swede or Thrower either.

• Lizardking89 says:

Those idiots on l’AntiChambre. If Bergevin wouldn’t have drafted Galy they would have crucified him for that. We got some damn good prospects in the draft this year but I guess they have to piss and moan about something.

23. Un Canadien errant says:

Interesting writeup on the Canadiens draft from The Backhand Shelf.

“The consensus draft winners on press row were the Montreal Canadiens, who either made out like bandits, or who simply rank their draft picks based on Central Scouting and other amalgamated services, which means something has gone horribly, horribly wrong.”

———————————————————————–
    June 22: Alex Galchenyuk [x]
    June 23: Stefan Matteau, Mike Matheson, Martin Frk, Brandon Whitney
    June 24: Travis Moen
    June 26: Mathieu Darche
    July 1: P.A. Parenteau
    July 3: Shane O’Brien
    July 5: Carey Price
    July 9: P.K. Subban

24. frontenac1 says:

I still think Moen,Staubitz and White would be a good 4th line to start the season.

• EasternOntarioHabsFan says:

agree

I will be very dissappointed if we let White go

• Carta-Hab says:

I don’t see why they would. Last year White came back after being laid up long term and didn’t seem very effective, but when he was with the team the year before I thought he was terrific. No way the team gives up after last year is there? It wasn’t really a good measuring stick of his overall game.

Mike Milbury, Don Cherry, and PJ Stock….The three stooges of HNIC.

• solomio says:

I think a 4th line should have some scoring or play making talent which those 3 do not have.

25. toinz says:

That 2007 Draft has seen a lot of disappointment in the top 10 picks. I went back and looked again once James Van Riemsdyk was traded yesterday.

1) Patrick Kane (won the cup, but is a headcase, rumored to be traded)

2) JVR (traded)

3) Kyle Turris (traded)

4) Thomas Hickey (couldnt crack the LA Kings defence even after Johnson was dealt)

5) Karl Alzner (disappointment in Washington, getting better, still has lots of potential)

6) Sam Gagner (probably the odd man out in Edmonton now)

7) Jakub Voracek (traded)

8 ) Zach Hamill (traded)

9) Logan Couture (future star)

10) Keaton Ellerby (average defenceman, room for improvement)

In an even more odd twist, picks 11-14 are all NHLers but all 4 have been traded in the last 5 years since they were drafted.

Brandon Sutter, McDonagh, Eller, Shattenkirk.

The oddest part of all is even in this terrible terrible year, the Habs still got their best crop in the last decade with Pacioretty 22nd and Subban 43rd.

• Carta-Hab says:

Timmins really hit beast mode with that draft. Given their success and upside to this point, it is not inconceviable that Subban, Pacorietty, and McDonaugh would have all went top ten if scouts had been able to take a Delorean into the future and see how they would turn out. Unreal draft.

Mike Milbury, Don Cherry, and PJ Stock….The three stooges of HNIC.

• HFX-HabFan says:

I would hardly call Alzner a “disappointment”. He has played serious minutes on Washington’s blueline the last year and a half, and although his offensive ceiling at the NHL level isn’t that high, he’ll be a good D in the league for a long time. I’d even consider him a dark horse as a possible seventh D for Team Canada in 2014.

26. JayK-47 says:

When’s the new page gonna start? I feel like a bomb tech here and afraid to post.

27. ProHabs says:

Did the truth come out yesterday why Boone is leaving the Gazette and HIO.

28. Steven says:

So, the Habs applied for arbitration with Price to prevent Offer Sheets from other teams, right? Have they done the same for Subban or any other RFA’s yet?

29. Un Canadien errant says:

Some of the comments regarding Ryan White seem to be based strictly on what he showed last season. He’s being relegated to being noting more than a crasher and fighter by many posters here, but in fact he is a player of some talent.

I’ve noted before how he’s a kid who his Calgary Hitmen coaches loved. They described him as a headsy guy who played hard and always seemed to have the puck. His promise is illustrated by the fact that in his draft year he was ranked above Ben Maxwell and Milan Lucic for skaters coming out of the WHL.

Possibly the reason he ‘fell’ below those two guys is that he was described as having a bad body. He wasn’t a guy with great fitness or an inspiring physique, and it’s possible his doughy appearance at the Combine turned off a few scout, but he changed his habits once he was drafted and began to work hard off the ice to improve his athleticism. To see him charging around the ice now, there’s no reason to suspect that fitness or power is an issue with him anymore.

Last season wasn’t a great one for Ryan, he didn’t put up points as we might have expected from him, and didn’t seem as useful as the previous year. Let’s remember he had to undergo hernia surgery early in the season and recover from that, it’s a tricky, painful condition, and it hampered his development. He was miscast as the team fighter, a role which he assumed gamely, when others wouldn’t.

So let’s give Ryan a mulligan regarding 2012. Let’s give him another season in a new dressing room, with new teammates and new chemistry, and an adjusted roster that will allow him to play on the fourth line and provide valuable minutes and services for his new coaching staff. Let’s see if he can play his way on the club for good. If at the end of the season the results still aren’t great, and we don’t see progression, we’ll have a brace of kids in Hamilton who will be chomping at the bit for a shot at the Grand Club.

• RS says:

Agreed. White is completely capable of being a useful fourth line player for the Habs.

I’ve actually been impressed by how he protects the puck and how he doesn’t just throw it away. He makes useful little plays to clear the zone or get it in deep. He’s not going to contribute much offence but he can be trusted to play a role on the fourth line and I don’t mean as a fighter.

• neumann103 says:

People complain about his speed. Maybe he wasn’t at 100% in his shortened post hernia season.

I have always been impressed by his speed, and particularly his committment to forecheck at a breakneck pace. He has a knack for forcing the early bad pass, or turnover. I expect his linemates really appreciate this. Playing with a guy who you know is going to jump like that allows you huge confidence to get in lanes where you expect him to force the turnover or bad pass.

The tentative forecheck was one of the worst elements of the Martin regime. You can’t have all three forwards going in guns a blazing but having one who you know damn well is jumping is great.

“Et le but!”

UCe, it was revealed in interviews with White last year, that he suffered throughout the entire offseason he was struggling with that sports hernia injury and that he kept thinking it would get better. No doubt in my mind he suffered from having no offseason of pure offseason training (not rehab) and he missed the entire preseason (granted JM’s idea of a preseason don’t match what i think most other coaches do) I am very confident we see the old Ryan White this upcoming season. While lacking the size of Boston’s 4th line Shawn Thornton, I see him playing a very similar role with addition of some PK duty. I for one look forward to seeing him back for a full season.

• Wayne says:

Great post! I remember his first couple of shifts with the team. It was apparent even then that he had something more to offer. His team dedication and loyalty is clear and undeniable. To me it became a situation where circumstances (and JM) led to a sort of funneling of most of his duties, almost exclusively to grit and checking. He didn’t look out of place on the occasional PK. The Devils are among the few teams out there that can run with a kid like this and groom him into an invaluable piece a puzzle. For the record, I feel the same way about Staubitz. My hope is that, with the new faces behind the bench and up, this team will have more dimension and get with a winning formula whatever it takes.

30. frontenac1 says:

Wait a minute now! Big Bird…Stewardess…Habs…. Feelin”Better Already!

31. frontenac1 says:

I agree steve. I noticed White lost some speed after his surgery last year.He still had his moxie ,but with the slower speed he was out of his lanes more often than not,which is not good for his role.I really hope he gets his game back because he is the type of guy you want in the trenches with you in those rough games.He’s a guy who has earned another shot this year.

32. Mavid says:

flight attendant…they have not been called stewardess’s for a long time…

• habstrinifan says:

See that is the trouble with you young people and this modern world. You really do think everyone was created equal.

Well in my dating day sthey were called stewardesses and this was a stewardess…. Bless the Good Lord!!!

• JayK-47 says:

Age-ist, sexist, religionist and cantankerous.

Do you like Bushmill’s good sir? I would like to buy you one.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Growing up, I used to love flying KLM or Air France. Air Canada was okay, WardAir better. For some reason, the KLM attendants were so sweet to me, always bringing me toys and treats. I couldn’t understand what they were saying, and I guess they just spoiled me instead. The Air France staff spoke French, so I could understand them, but the way they spoke was très exotique, just gorgeous. I wished they could be our babysitters. I couldn’t wait to be a grown up and fly more often.

How times have changed.

• neumann103 says:

Normand

Best flight ever was an unexpected upgrade from Steerage to First Class lounge upstairs on a KLM 747 on a transatlantic flight. I was in my early twenties and was travelling with my younger brother. As we were at the departure gate it became apparent that the flight was oversold. We were in a group of about 20 sorry looking travelers who were about to be left behind.

I had a policy of always traveling wearing a coat and tie. I think they singled us out from among the riffraff. This was probably shortly before they banned in-flight smoking on international flights but after smoking had become an anathema in most situations. I did note that most of the other left behinds were smokers.

I noticed some conversation amongst the staff at the check-in podium thingy. Several rail thin Dutch hotties were looking in my direction and appeared to be sizing us up. I was quietly approached by an elegant blond Air Hostess (ducks to avoid incoming corrective invective from Mavid ). She asked my brother and I to come up and they led us through the check-in and onto the plane. Upstairs. In the first class lounge.

There were about 25 seats in this little section, and 5 or 6 Sky Waitresses (ducks again) to serve the section. We were not really prepared for the luxe experience, great food, plentiful and exotic booze and the professional and attentive service of the KLM crew. (the ratio of passengers to crew in the section was barely over 2:1. Not sure about the advanced stats like Fenwick)

As we rolled away from the gate I noticed there were at least a dozen empty seats. They could have bumped up more of our fellow rejects, but I think they doomed themselves to a wait for a later flight in steerage by their derelict appearance.

Let that be a lesson to you kids

“Et le but!”

• Un Canadien errant says:

Ah, the old sport coat and tie technique, I used that to moderate success as a young man. With a please and thank you. It did lead to upgrades, bonus vouchers on demand for electing to be bumped, good seats with legroom for the size 13W’s. Nowadays, with the flying experience having gone down the tubes, I rarely bother. I just make sure to bring two good books and noise-cancelling headphones, ask for an emergency exit seat if they don’t sell those off to the highest bidder, and just settle in for a long haul.

Ah, KLM… The little hats, the outfits. The Air France scarfs. Actual meals. Colouring books and treats, an endless supply of them, proffered with a warm smile. I thought the world was full of promise, and the Canadiens would keep winning Stanley Cups.

Yah no sense changing with the times hey Trin.

33. habstrinifan says:

I think Larry Robinson will be the asistant coach in charge of the defense.

I think the announcemet has to wait until Larry’s contract expires because there are remuneration clauses which have kicked in from NJD making the Stanley Cup finals and would be sacrificed if he were to ‘terminate’ his contract early. Mind you I think the NJD are not standing in his way, it is simply a matter of seeing the contract through.

OK so those are the semi-serious reasons why I think Larry will be the guy.

Remember during the finals I posted about the strange conditions under which a ticket was puchased for a passenger needing lots of leg room. You can take my rumour for what it’s worth. But let me tell you that I have confirmation from a stewardess I used to date…. YES I DATED A STEWARDESS….

Well I better say no more.

34. badbill says:

When’s the last time you read something like this after a draft in recent memory? From SI.com…

Habs fans were less than enthralled with new GM Marc Bergevin’s choice of Michel Therrien as the team’s coach, but they won’t complain about his first go-round at restocking the prospect cupboard. If this assessment didn’t consider trades and was based strictly on the names up on the big board, the Habs would have come out on top.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/allan_muir/06/24/nhl-draft-winners-losers/index.html#ixzz1yktMFZxr

35. fun police says:

Normand Flynn on RDS saying he preferred dumba to galchenyuk. he’s also the one doctor out of five that would recommend smoking. dollars to donuts he watched the draft and thought “nothing to complain about tonight on antichambre”. RDS execs had an emergency meeting and voila, something to complain about. the next outcry on antichambre will be when darche isn’t resigned.

• Mad Habber says:

surprised he didn’t say Nick Ebert

• Un Canadien errant says:

Easy on my bro. His opinion is as valid as anyone else’s. We’ll hold him to it in five years, if Alex Galchenyuk becomes Ron Francis and Matt Dumba becomes Carlo Colaiacovo. If the reverse happens, let’s give him props then.

Matt Dumba is a spectacular player, it’s okay to fall in love with a kid who dominates and stands out from the rest.

36. frontenac1 says:

Yeah Ribeiro had a great game against us.Who didn’t last year! He’s still a punk.