Canadiens will retire Guy Lapointe’s No. 5

The Canadiens have called a news conference for Thursday morning at which time they will unveil details concerning the retirement of Hall of Famer Guy Lapointe’s No. 5 during the 2014-15 season.

As part of the Canadiens’ Big Three on defence during the 1970s — along with Larry Robinson and Serge Savard — Lapointe won six Stanley Cups and was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 1993, seven years after Savard and two years before Robinson. Lapointe still holds the record for most goals by a Canadiens defenceman in a season with 28 in 1974-75 and ranks second in career goals by a Habs defenceman with 166, trailing Robinson’s 197. Savard scored 100 goals with the Canadiens.

In Ken Dryden’s classic book, The Game, here’s how he described Lapointe:

“In the early and mid-1970s, except for Bobby Orr, Guy Lapointe was the best defenceman in the NHL,” the Canadiens’ Hall of Fame goaltender wrote. “He was strong and powerful, an explosive skater with a hard, low shot, but what made him unique was the emotion he could bring to a game. During flat, lifeless stretches, uncalculated, he would suddenly erupt with enormous impatient fury, racing around the ice, daring and inspired on offence and defence, giving the game a new mood; turning it our way. It is a rare ability, and even as (Denis) Potvin and Robinson matured in mid-decade to push him onto second all-star teams and beyond, it was a skill that even they couldn’t match.”

Lapointe’s daughter Stephanie, who had started an online petition last year to get her father’s number retired, wrote on Twitter after the Habs made the announcement: “I am beyond proud of my dad! Finally he is being awarded this honour!”

Lapointe will become the 18th Canadiens player to have his number retired. The No. 5 has already been retired in honour of Bernard (Boom Boom) Geoffrion, but this won’t mark the first time the Habs will retire one number in honour of two players.

Here’s the complete list of Habs retired numbers:

1. Jacques Plante
2. Doug Harvey
3. Emile (Butch) Bouchard
4. Jean Beliveau
5. Bernard Geoffrion (Guy Lapointe)
7. Howie Morenz
33. Patrick Roy

(Gazette file photo)

Habs will finally retire Lapointe’s No. 5, by Gazette Sports Editor Stu Cowan

Why Markov wants – and will get – three years and $18 million, The Hockey News

Habs’ off-season game plan, TSN.ca

Canadiens’ salary-cap chart, capgeek.com

Bulldogs sign defenceman Makowski to one-year contract, hamiltonbulldogs.com

Habs listed at 20-1 odds to win Cup next season, Stu on Sports blog

When will Carbonneau’s defensive greatness be recognized, The Hockey News

Kings prove that size matters in today’s NHL, Stu on Sports blog

1. Maritime Ronn says:

Absolutely marvelous day on South Shore NS…

Below, a comment was made concerning 1 of the present Assistant GMs of the Habs – that being Rick Dudley (the other is underrated Larry Carriere)

Being a big fan of Dudley, the record should be set straight:

The Comment.
    Un Canadien errant:
    “…And getting the Thrashers and Rick Dudley to pick Patrick Stefan first overall.” (in reference to Brian Burke)
    ——————

With respect to Un Canadien errant.
    Rick Dudley was nowhere near the Atlanta Thrashers when Patrick Stefan was picked 1st overall in 1999.

The GM at that time was Don Waddel, and Dudley joined the Thrashers in 2009 – a full decade after the Patrck Stephan pick was made.

As a matter of fact, when Dudley was the GM of Tampa in 2000, he saw a ‘little guy’ that nobody really wanted from the Calgary organization and signed him as a UFA for Tampa.

His name: Martin St. Louis.
    The rest is history.

Dudley is one of the best pure ‘Hockey Minds’ in the business today.

The Habs Management team works because of their chemisty.
    Dudley played with Carriere in Buffalo and both went to the Cup Finals in 1975.
    Dudley also worked with GMMB in Chicago while they built the team with Dale Tallon…and present GM Stan Bowman enjoys the fruits of those many years work – some of which he was involved in, yet could never reference any actual NHL or Room experience.

2. Cal says:

TSN has Serge, Geoff Molson, Larry and Pointu at the official announcement.
    A little must see for Hab fans:

3. John Q Public says:

What can we expect from Therrien in year 3 ?
    1st year not much of a system, some success.
    2nd year more of a defensive system, greater success.
    3rd year offensive system with emphasis on high scoring and entertaining hockey, Hope so.

4. Mike D says:

Saw some discussion about White earlier on. I’m really hoping he’s still in the team’s plans….at least for the next year or two.

He brings the physical/toughness we’ll need, especially in light of losing Murray and Parros. He’s fast, pretty reliable in the faceoff circle, a righty, sticks up for his mates, and is good defensively and on the penalty kill. He wouldn’t cost much either. I also think he has a bit more offensive upside than we’ve seen to date, albeit probably not much more.

White, on a line with any 2 of Prust, Weise, or Bourney make up a really good 4th line who can play real minutes, and the ‘extra’ winger of the bunch can easily be slotted onto the 3rd line. Moen is a good 4th liner too though not as good of a fit on a higher line IMO.

– Honestly yours
    Twitter: @de_benny

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Agree about White, Mike.

Also, I believe the dum-dum penalty issue is in the past. Anyone remember him laughing at someone (Ranger, Sabre, Islander?) whose response to a solid hit was to ask for a fight? Wrong moment in the game for us, so he just laughed. (Mind you, it was his first game after a lengthy stretch in the dog-house).

Like those line combos, too.

• Mike D says:

Thanks Dunboyne. I actually meant to mention that I think the days of Whitey taking bad penalties are over as well, but forgot to include it in my post.

I remember that incident as well and truly loved how White laughed and skated away.

– Honestly yours
        Twitter: @de_benny

• GrosBill says:

It was actually vs Florida. And it was Perros.

• frontenac1 says:

Senor Whitey Este Muy Macho. Viva Whitey!Saludos!

5. Steven says:

As per Twitter, confirmed by a Renaud Lavoie retweet:

“Greg Beacham ‏@gregbeacham
    Saku Koivu, Jonas Hiller and Dan Winnik won’t be offered new contracts by the Anaheim Ducks, GM Bob Murray says.”

Some interesting names on that list. Hiller probably finds a job with VAN or CGY or some other goalie-less team. Winnik’s a big guy(6’2″, 210 lbs) who has some scoring touch(6G 24A this season). Koivu, we’re all familiar with, and the guy can still take a faceoff.

I’d offer both Koivu and Winnik a contract to play in MTL. Not sure if the former would crack the lineup regularly(size, age, etc) but he would still be a good option for a 3rd/4th line center.

• BriPro says:

He has also confirmed that MB is wheeling to make a trade in order to get a better pick at the draft.

• Mike D says:

Our team as it’s currently constructed, has no room for a player like Saku (and I hate to say that cuz I always loved the guy). I wouldn’t be entirely surprised if he retired or went to play in Finland. I’m sure he wants to win a cup, but not sure any true cup contender would offer him a contract.

If he does retire, I sincerely hope we sign him to one of those 1-day contracts so he may retire as a Hab (the way he should have).

As for Winnik, I would definitely take a flyer on him for a year or two on a cheap contract. I haven’t seen him play a lot, but I’ve liked the little that I have seen. I feel like he may have more to offer than his stats show (or maybe he’s another AK46 and I’ve just caught him during some of his good games/streaks). If nothing else, he adds to the size department.

– Honestly yours
      Twitter: @de_benny

• Cal says:

Koivu’s time is up. Time to hang ‘em up and look back on a solid career. Besides, the last type of player the Habs need is another small one.

6. Mavid ® says:

110

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

7. John Q Public says:

Mackinnon – McCarron – McDavid

Marketing dream.

8. Forum Dog says:

Tampa RFA Killorn signs 2 year, $5.1M deal. I’m thinking that is in-line with what Eller should expect.

9. AliHaba says:

Pateryn, Tokarski and the Habs’ first pick for Edmonton’s first rounder.

• I think if I’m the Oil, I would want Gallagher, Tokarski then Pateryn. Teams don’t give up first round picks for nothing. If Tokarski moves next week it won’ be for a first rounder, maybe 3rd or 4th.

I really like Tokarski, he fights for every save but it sounds the Canadiens are in love with the Budda.

I’ll laugh if we can get a second round pick for Tokarski, can’t wait to see if he moves at all.

Either way Mtl wins with him, we keep him we win, if we get a pick for him we win. Got him for nothing.

Shane Oliver
      @sholi2000
      A Little fun during the Intermission
      Brandon Predators End Season Video

• John Q Public says:

Tokarski ain’t goin anywhere.
        Cause if he did and Price went down for a lengthy period of time we’d be in McKinnon territory.

• Mike D says:

I agree regarding Toker. We’ll get something of value for him if we move him.

Two ways to look at the back-up ‘tender job for next year:

Budaj is well-liked in the room and accepting of his back-up role. As a pure back-up, he’s been great. When asked to start for a while, he hasn’t done well. His trade value is quite low, as is any goalie who is strictly a back-up.

Toker showed he can play and is worthy of a greater role at the NHL level (with us or another team)….or at least the chance to further prove it. He may accept a back-up job for a year but will eventually push for a chance to be a starter somewhere (and he knows he won’t supplant Carey). If we keep Toker then we’d have to trade Budaj. If Carey got injured again, I’d rather have Toker in nets than Budaj, and keeping him for another year with continued good goaltending on his part should result in him getting even more value in a trade return. Problem is, what about after that year? We’d have to find another back-up to replace Budaj/Toker, but no guarantees that person will be as good of a fit as Budaj in terms of team chemistry.

– Honestly yours
        Twitter: @de_benny

• Loop_Garoo says:

The hardest thing about trading one of Buddha or Tokarski right now, is that teams know we will only keep one of the two, and the other has to clear waivers to go down. Either way, there will be another goalie on the open market.

• Loop_Garoo says:

MB would likely take that in a heartbeat, doubt Edmonton looks at it, but you never know.

10. Un Canadien errant says:

Apparently the Stanley Cup odds for next season are out, and TEAM 1040 is puzzled that the Canucks and the Tampa Bay Lightning are even at 25 to 1 to win the Cup in 2015. They mention that the Lightning made the playoffs, and they have Steven Stamkos and Ben Bishop. The Canucks, sigh…

This is a perfect illustration that casino odds don’t necessarily reflect the likelihood that a team willl win the Cup, but rather the likelihood that gamblers will bet on that team to win the Cup. And teams with large, rabid fan bases like the Leafs and Canucks and Rangers and Habs will have a lot of people who will bet with their hearts rather than their brains.

And the casinos will adjust their lines to reflect this, to entice money on the Lightning and other smaller-market teams, to keep their books even. This ensures that they don’t have a nightmare scenario, where massive sums are bet on a particular team like the Rangers who end up winning, without being offset by a bunch of money bet on all the other teams. The casino isn’t really interested in who will win, or predicting who will win, they just want to make sure to make money, and they do that by equalizing the risk of a Senators win vs. a Leafs win.

And if still more money flows to the Canucks than the Lightning, the casino will react and move the line some more, and you’ll see the Canucks getting better odds of winning it all, and the Lightning made an even longer shot to win, until the books balance again.

———————————————————————–
    My sources are unreliable, but their info is fascinating.–Woody Paige

11. habsr4ever says:

Rumor has it we are letting Markov walk unless he accepts a two year deal.
    WE better have a back up plan/UFA in mind as our young guys are not ready to take over just yet.
    Boyle wants two years times $6….today or yesterday Dreger said he wants $5 Million. I would take Markov over him in a heart beat. So the back up plan better not be Boyle.
    Now if we are talking Brian Boyle – SIGN him and over pay for him. We need him or the agitator Steve Ott.
    I have read or heard nothing on Weaver….wonder what is up with him…..hopefully we can get him for 1.5 M just like Murray and Bouillon….if we have to do a two year deal….do it…..its cheap and he can be a stop gap til our young guns are ready to take over….he is our best pk dman with Gorges a close second….you win with guys like Weaver.
    Any how – no other rumors I have read on the net…..awaiting to hear or read we have signed Gionta – sounds like we are close to finalizing a deal with him unfortunately……hopefully this rumor is WRONG like most of them.

12. John Q Public says:

Plexs – Tinordi – Bourque – Keg of Molson for Tavares

13. Un Canadien errant says:

I really don’t have much of a handle on the draft this year, maybe because we got so deep in the playoffs it didn’t give me enough time to read up and become an internet draft expert, one who hasn’t seen any of these kids play.

So maybe that’s why I’m not so keen this year, low draft position, no man-crushes developed. The only faint inkling I have is that if the prospects at #26 and in the second-round are essentially equivalent in value and potential, I wouldn’t mind trading down and getting another pick.

And draft Alexis Vanier. I like homeboys, especially if they’re 6’5″ defencemen.

———————————————————————–
    My sources are unreliable, but their info is fascinating.–Woody Paige

• Luke says:

It does seem like an odd draft.
      Outside of the top prospects it feels like everyone expected to go in the first round is 5’10” and 180lbs.

I could see this being the year to swing for the fences… go for some giants like Vanier or Ryan Mantha or any decent sized offensive centre with defensive issues and hope he can sort it out…

14. Say Ash says:

You guys seen this dumb Bruins fan? Possibly the worst tattoo ever:

15. Pucknut says:

As of now the NYI have 9 picks in this draft year & 5 in the first 3 rounds.

How do EDM & NYI continue to have the pick of the litter every year & still never manage to transform this into winning hockey?

They should both be on the cusp of greatness, by now!!!

16. DipsyDoodler says:

Given that two of the themes on this thread are nostalgia and moving up in the draft, remember when Brian Burke told everyone who would listen that he was planning to draft John Tavares? And how the Leaf Nation fell for it?

“Burkey said he was going to move up in the draft to get Tavares.”

“He’ll look great in blue and white.”

“Tavares I mean, not Burke.”

—–
    Moving. Forward.

17. kalevine says:

I’m sure this has been answered somewhere but I wonder if somebody can tell me who has worn #5 since Lapointe. I can think of Rick Green, maybe Stephane Quintal. Who else?

• DipsyDoodler says:

The number is retired, so no one else I guess.

—–
      Moving. Forward.

• kalevine says:

but who else has there been? :)

ok here we go

Rob Ramage (1993-1994)
          Christian Proulx (1994)
          Stephane Quintal (1996-2004)

—–
          Moving. Forward.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Wow – reminds me that I suffered a lengthy pre-internet Black Hole period here in Ireland, late 80s to mid-90s (when I discovered I could listen to CJAD online).

Rob Ramage I know because of the 93 Cup (I paid a kid chocolates to get his Dad to video the semis and finals on a cable channel I couldn’t afford, didn’t get to victory til the first week of July).

Which means I never even heard of these guys (who precociously wore No. 5):

Gerald Diduck (1991)
          Alain Cote (1991-1992)
          Christian Proulx (1994)

How long would it take to summarise their Habs careers?

• kalevine says:

my friend and I would call Diduck “Dudick”
            I do remember Alain Cote – I think he played for the Nords as well? Proulx I have no idea. I did remember the two longest holders of the number in Green and Quintal, at least post Lapointe.

Interesting that nobody since 04 has worn the number, after almost continuous usage since before Lapointe

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Thanks kalevine.
            I hate having that gap in my Habs history.
            TG for the internet.

• bwoar says:

Just remember “Cote didn’t score” and you’ll be OK. Diduck played for Vancouver for a while after a tiny stint with the Habs and those are really my memories of him.

Christian Proulx… Christian Who?

• kalevine says:

Proulx played a grand total of 7 NHL games, all with the Habs

Diduck was actually at least a part time NHLer till around 2000

• Timo says:

Quintal… the true human pylon on D.

• kalevine says:

he wasn’t great, but he was one of the few players who seemed to find himself in MOntreal, whereas most find themselves after they leave. That is, except for goaltenders, who often excel here and then lose their mojo elsewhere

18. ACGM says:

All kinds of rumors, none from Bergevin, our input is a way to kill time agree and disagree and a little name calling here and there, wait for Bergevin and you can’t go wrong that’s the team we’ll end up with not a team we suggest…

19. Max says:

The question of the day should have a third option: I think jerseys should be” honored” rather than” retired”. If you choose “no” with the current options,it looks like you are dissing Guy Lapointe when that’s not the case at all.

20. Un Canadien errant says:

What we thought: Chances are, your pre-playoff view of the East looked something like this: The Bruins were the heavy favorite, the Penguins had a shot, the winner of Rangers/Flyers was the dark horse, and you didn’t feel right about discounting the Red Wings, just out of force of habit. That was pretty much it.

What actually happened: The Canadiens ended up just two games (and, Habs fans would say, one Carey Price injury) away from the Stanley Cup final.

Where we went wrong: In hindsight, the Habs deserved more credit. They were a 100-point team, and they drew a first-round matchup with the Lightning that went from “very winnable” to “downright easy” once it became apparent that Ben Bishop wouldn’t play. Not many saw the upset over Boston coming, but once it did, Montreal matched up well with New York and could certainly have won that series if Price had stayed healthy.

———————————————————————–
    My sources are unreliable, but their info is fascinating.–Woody Paige

• JUST ME says:

It actually would be fair from our part to detail the «where we went wrong category ».
      I do not remember seeing so many people for so many reason eating crow.

21. shiram says:

Renaud Lavoie ‏@renlavoietva

#canadiens Marc Bergevin said he’s ready to do a trade to have a better pick at the draft. #tvasports

22. Sportfan says:

David Booth for 1 million would that be worth it or is he damaged goods.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• krob1000 says:

I would do it.

• Un Canadien errant says:

For one million, on a Colby Armstrong contract, I’d take a flyer. Yes, he is damaged goods, that’s why he’d be so cheap. Size, speed, scoring ability. Maybe he’s had bad luck with all the injuries, and is primed for a bounce back.

• bwoar says:

Mah, that’s what the Canucks thought too. The guy’s a crank.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Yes, but they invested assets in a trade, namely Mikael Samuelsson and Marco Sturm. And they were paying him $4.75M per. We’re talking a UFA at 1 mill.

So we’re talking apples and oranges here. Like it made sense for the Leafs to buy out Colby Armstrong, and it made sense for the Canadiens to give him a shot. Both propositions aren’t mutually exclusive.

• bwoar says:

I have to acknowledge the logic. I get I just have something against the guy after watching him crap it up in Vancouver.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I fully accept that bwoar. I’ll take similar stands against certain players, despite other posters’ attempts at reasoning with me. Some players just become no-fly-zones for me too.

Did Habs sign Bouillon yet? WTF are they waiting for?

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Timo, did you catch any old Habs vids in the wake of the Lapointe jersey news? It occurred to me that you might have strongly held opinions on les coiffures en cet epoch.

• TheCanadianDagger says:

Word is Frankie is looking for a two-year deal, but the Habs are in talks to see if he will accept a four-year contract. E5

24. Commandant says:

One of the site commentators did a huge amount of statistical work on this draft and submitted an article about it (I asked him to be a regular writer, but he doesn’t have the time). Anyways today he takes a look at PPG, GPG, EV strength production, strength of team, and other factors in a prospects draft year and the success it correlates to in the NHL. Also includes 2015 Eligibles to try and predict their potential success. He looks at the WHL & OHL.

His analysis indicates that Ritchie is amongst the best prospects in this draft and is right there with the top 5 elite goal scorers of the last 10 drafts. All of whom went on to be NHL superstars.

Also today my next prospect Ondrej Kase from the Czech Republic.

25. Dunboyne Mike says:

@Hab-in-Surrey and BJ.
    Your late-night chat about the Richard, Beliveau and Ferguson eras was fantastic. Would like nothing better than to hook up with you guys some day and hear more.
    HiS, what outdoor rink was that in NDG? Not NDG Park by any chance? Great stories!
    Cheers

26. Dunboyne Mike says:

Kooch, those Detroit photographs are haunting. Thank you. Know the poem “Ozymandias”?
    Cheers

• Cal says:

I met a hockey fan who was a real old one
      Who said: “Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
      Stand in the desert, very near to the 401,
      Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown
      And wrinkled lip belies the Cups he never won
      I can tell that its sculptor well those passions read
      Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
      The fans that mocked them and the hearts that bled.
      And on the pedestal these words appear:
      `My name is Harold Edwin Ballard, King of Leafs:
      Look on my works, ye Hab fans, and despair!’
      Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
      Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
      The lone and level sands stretch far away”.

27. Habfan17 says:

@ Luke

Re: trading up to get first overall pick.

Start with Beaulieu who played with Huberdeau in junior and their may be a conversation started! I think I would rather Bergevin start a trade conversation with Florida for Gudranson and then Florida could use the first overall pick to get Ekblad.

Beaulieu, Nygren, Reway for Gudranson and Florida’s second round pick

This way, the Habs have a solid right side for years; Pk, Gudranson, Pateryn, Weaver. Then in a year or two, Dietz, Thrower or another may be ready. That also leaves Tinordi, and Bennett for the left side to work in with Emelin, Gorges and perhaps Markov.

Habfan17

• Luke says:

Gudbranson is good. Ekblad is a phenom.

But you are right, probably take Beaulieu instead of Tinordi, and I’d rather have Beaulieu.

Man, whatever it took, wouldn’t it just be cool to see Bettman waddle up to the podium and say:
      “I have a trade to announce. The Montreal Canadiens have acquired the first overall pick for…”
      (and we’d all gasp in unison)
      (And we’d all rush to HI/O to… )

• TheCanadianDagger says:

I would trade any d-man in the Habs system not named Pernell Karl to have the rights to Ekblad. He is going to be an absolute monster.

• Habfan17 says:

Yes, That would be awesome!! I do think Bennett will bring pretty much the same as Beaulieu and Beaulieu could play this season with Florida. That is why I think they would do the deal, especially because of you point about Ekblad, who may be able to step in next season too, replaces Gudbranson on the right side and they don’t give up size. It would not put Florida back to much but the gain is worth. Same for the Habs, they get a young 2nd pair right handed defenceman that will grow with the core and they get a 2nd round pick which they currently lack.

Habfan17

• habs_54321 says:

i like the creativity i know some posters HATE when anyone mentions any kind of trade scenarios or ideas, but lets face it it’s FUN too think about and there is not much else too talk about, as long as the scenarios are realistic and benefit both teams involved i think creative ideas even if they might not ever happen should be encouraged and not shot down, it will get more posters involved in conversation.

• Habfan17 says:

I agree. Just shut out the ones who give you grief! Sometimes we make suggestions that are unrealistic, so what! It is fun. Some are realistic and will never happen. Some folks will knock the ideas no matter what! let them. It gives us something to discuss and ideas to toss around! It is much better than being down about what didn’t happen instead of being happy for what did happen!

Habfan17

28. DipsyDoodler says:

Do you agree?

I think the Bruins were planning on keeping Shawn Thornton until the water bottle incident. Or at least it was a consideration.

—–
    Moving. Forward.

• shiram says:

I don’t think so.
      It’s more to do with their lack of scoring depth in the playoffs.
      Rolling 4 lines and all that jazz.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Dipsy, did you read the Ryan Lambert article about Thornton posted here yesterday? It was interesting but divisive. MRonn later posted quotes from Cam Neely and Julien in which the subtext seemed to be, You’re too classless even for us.

• DipsyDoodler says:

Yeah – remember when Jerry finds out that the woman he’s dating was once dumped by Newman?

Being dumped by the Bruins because you are too classless is a bit like that.

Or Amir Khadir getting kicked out of the PQ because he’s too much of a bigot (*).

(* That might not have happened – apologies to the Gazoo (**) if this constitutes libel.)

(** Yes, I realize no one at the Gazette is reading these comments.)
        —–
        Moving. Forward.

• Luke says:

Like the drummer gettting kicked out of Guns & Roses because he did too much drugs.
          Like how much drugs did you have to do to get kicked out of Guns and Roses?
          What does it take for Axl and Slash look at you and say “I think that’s enough, man”?

• Luke says:

Age, the mugging of Orpik, the constant whining in the media about who is and isn’t honourable, being a vocal suck when things didn’t go his way (The PK hit), and the juvenile behaviour vs the Habs in the playoffs all contributed, I think.

But mostly, I’d bet on Age, cost & the diminishing role fighters play.

If he was a cap friendly 27 year old, not 37 I’d reckon he’d still be a Bruin.

• New says:

Not really. Thornton is wavering around, some would say long past, his best before date. I think the Bruins are going in a different direction. You can only spend so much time defending the antics of players before people begin to dismiss your words as a joke. Julien was let go in Montreal and NJ not because he was bad at coaching but because management didn’t like the way things were going with the players.

The Bruins are a pretty proud organization. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Marchand gone, more as a message to Lucic than return. I think Julien is on a short leash and if the antics keep up in the first quarter of next season he’ll be relieved of his responsibilities.

• DipsyDoodler says:

The Bruins are a proud organization

Good one.

—–
        Moving. Forward.

• New says:

:) Everybody is proud of something.

The Canadiens have done the same thing over these long 21 years and counting. Think back to how many times you’ve heard the term “distraction” used in there. Chelios, Roy, Keane, Brashear, Kostitsyns, Grabs, it is all the same thing. The boss wants to glad hand and socialize about how well the team is doing, about his golf game, anything except how your player such and such is a real party animal, was seen somewhere with someone’s girlfriend, or is a clown on ice. You are paying them to entertain you, not embarrass you.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

New, the article basically argued that Thornton is and always has been a crap player, and it trashed the notion of his line being the best 4th line in hockey.

The discussion that followed here quickly moved past the merits of those opinions and arguments and turned instead to the class of sports journalist to which Lambert belongs, namely one that has no respect for players.

Yesterday morning.

Cheers

• Un Canadien errant says:

Re-posted:

Ryan Lambert eviscerates the myth of Shawn Thornton and the ‘best fourth line in hockey’.

———————————————————————–
      My sources are unreliable, but their info is fascinating.–Woody Paige

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Cheers, UCE.
        Also enjoyed your contributions to that great chat between HiS and BJ yesterday evening which I read this morning in GMT.
        Is this Lambert a somebody?
        And is there a young, post-strikes/lockouts cynical class of sportswriter with no respect for players?

• Un Canadien errant says:

I think you’re on to something about Ryan Lambert. There’s certainly some irreverence there. Yahoo and Puck Daddy don’t have to slurp the NHL for their TV rights, so they can call a spade a spade somehow.

I know some posters took offence at a journo taking shots at a player, but really, what’s more realistic? Don Cherry putting him on a pedestal, or an outsider with no agenda calling it as he sees it?

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Personally, I like how our Gazette writers strike the balance. I actually never, ever read anything opinion-based on nhl.com or any other cheerleading sites.

29. Luke says:

I wonder what it would take to pry the 1st overall out of Florida’s cold dead hands?

Would Gallagher, Tinordi, a decent prospect (Reway or Andrighetto) & the 26th be enough?

Nah, that makes no sense. Gallagher isn’t a good enough winger to swing the deal, neither are the prospects… and Tinordi is a big step down from Ekblad. Florida would probably want established NHL players (wingers) in their mid-20s. I’d still call ‘em up and have a quick chat, though.

Dang, I want Ekblad on my team.

• habsfan0 says:

I suspect the Laffs will try and swing a deal to get this year’s #1 pick and draft Ekblad.
      I’m more concerned with how the Habs can get the #1 pick in next year’s draft and land Connor McDavid.

• Habfan17 says:

Beaulieu, Nygren, Reway for Gudranson and Florida’s second round pick.

Habfan17

• New says:

Pleks, this year’s first and next year’s first would do it. You gamble it will be 20-30, Florida gambles it will be 1-4.

Would you trade Subban for Hurberdeau and Florida’s first?

30. Thurston says:

Any word on the pre-season schedule yet? Only reason I ask is because I was glancing at the Detroit Free Press during a break at work and I saw the Red Wings already have some pre-season dates set already.

• CJ says:

Montreal is traditionally one of the last pre season schedules released, likely the result of them playing almost all games on home ice. We seem to only play two road games – in Ottawa and a neutral site game in Quebec or the Maritimes.

31. bwoar says:

Yesterday I posted about how the Bruins are in cap trouble and that MB could take advantage by going after an RFA Reilly Smith.

Another player I am sure he’s got his eye on is Colorado’s Ryan O’Reilly. I don’t think Colorado wants to pay him 6.5M next year, and taking him to club-elected arbitration is a sign that the two camps are far apart.

He probably ISN’T worth that much, but, I’d line up to pay that starting right now and I’m sure other GMs are already queued. While I’d prefer to deal Boston a bad hand this summer, paying out for ROR would add a 23-year old building block. We’d almost surely move Plekanec at that point, and the renewal process could continue.

Is there a deal to be made?

In other news, if Washington is looking for a verteran backup, I know a guy under contract who I’d consider to be the best one around. And he’s already in line to be replaced.

32. Luke says:

Good Morning HabsInsider/Outsiders.

Today’s fearless prediction:

Connor Crisp shows well at training camp & makes the team.
    By the midway mark of the Season he has replaced Ryan White.

Bookmark it.

• Kooch7800 says:

Connor Crisp I think will be full year in the AHL. He didn’t look out of place at the end of the year when he played but I would like to see his game develop.

He is a big kid for sure

• Hobie says:

That would be awesome. I’d be surprised if White is back at all. He’s an RFA and didn’t get a minute of playing time in the playoffs.

• Kooch7800 says:

White is useful but I would like to see a little more offense out of him

• krob1000 says:

I think there is some offense in there…he just never gets to play with guys who are offensive. I would like to see him get another chance with two decent players…when he played with Bourny and Weise he looked better in that regard…teh guy used to be quite a scorer AND playmaker in Junior. He has never had a chance at the NHL level but I think in the right role he could be 25-30 point guy.

• Kooch7800 says:

It will be interesting to see how his foot speed looks in the NHL.

A year with the bulldogs should shed some more light. He didn’t look out of place last year in the 7 games he played. I doubt he see’s any NHL time next year though

I think White gets this season still, I think MB makes a few moves which finds White more ice time this season. Crisp needs that year in the AHL, or at least a complete first half of the season there.

• Hobie says:

There’s a 98% chance Crisp spends the entire year in the AHL. Maybe gets a game or two in the NHL.

• Luke says:

Hey, I’m betting on that 2%!

And since I’m rolling those dice, I may as well congratulate him on the Calder and Conn Smythe right now!

:D

• bwoar says:

White, Weise, Bournival was a solid 4th line. I want to see it again!

• eric says:

I’d rather see Weise with Eller and Bork. They were pretty good in the playoffs till Weise got wacked.

• bwoar says:

I think Briere, if he’s staying needs to play top-9 at the least and should be on with Eller and Bourque (2 bigger guys).

• JUST ME says:

White with this guy, White with that guy, i totally agree !

Problem is that he is not in the Hab`s plans anymore. Would have been usefull against Boston or /and NY but was left out of the lineup. I think he is gone even though with the departures of Parros and Murray his style of play would be usefull i just do not have anything to prove that he is in the cards.

• CJ says:

I thought that was the best fourth line we had last year, regular season and playoffs alike. It still bothers me that Briere bumped White on the fourth line. Briere needs to be in the top 9 to make this team. If he can’t crack the top nine, then he shouldn’t be playing.

• Swoop says:

Prust – White – Weise was my favourite 4th line that we’ve had all season long. If we let white go, I guarantee we’ll be regretting it anytime we play against him.

• CJ says:

That is pretty much exactly how I see it too. I just don’t see the downside risk. Extend him for two more years at $800k annually. Everyone is happy. If he ends up being odd man out, so be it. The team comes first and I am not tied to any one player. That said, again, I just don’t see the downside risk to keeping him in the fold.

• habs_54321 says:

white = konopka

• Un Canadien errant says:

“Patience you must have, my young padawan”

Let the kids learn their craft in the AHL, we can wait. Long-term vs. short-term. Brian Bickell vs. Guillaume Latendresse.

33. shiram says:

All about the Habs has an interesting piece on the drafting of Trevor Timmins.

• Hobie says:

Nice article, great to see him draft Canadian and American players way ahead of all other countries!

• shiram says:

Sure, but that’s probably more of a representation of the overall mix of nationalities among the NHL players.

• 123456 says:

It’s a great read and yes you’d have to look at the relative proportions of NHL players Vs nationalities selected.

• Hobie says:

Ya it’s 95% North American for Timmins. Awesome. North Americans love the Stanley Cup and are indifferent about World Championships. Europeans are often the other way around.

• Chris says:

I saw that this spring the way that Anze Kopitar, Marian Gaborik, Slava Voynov, Henrik Lundqvist, Carl Hagelin, Anton Stralman, Mats Zuccarello, Lars Eller, Andrei Markov, Johnny Oduya, Niklas Hjalmarsson, Michal Handzus, Marian Hossa, Michal Rozsival, and Marcus Kruger quit on their teams in the playoffs…they were all just desperate to get back to Europe to play for their country in the World Championships.

• Kooch7800 says:

Thanks for posting. It was a good read

• ont fan says:

Interestingly, no luck in the 4th round.

34. Max says:

Someone was just mentioning Mats Naslund and some of the other smaller players below.

Mats was always my favourite player growing up and still is upon refelction.He was tiny,5’7 160ish, but that guy could play

.I remeber his dipsy doodling all over the ice with that that long stick.He could stickhandle in a phone booth and skate like the wind.

I know it was a different era but he always seemed to magically allude checks and the physical stuff and kept on scoring. Great player!

I had a big framed picture of him in my room growing up and still have it somewhere.

Le Petit Viking!

• 123456 says:

He was one of my favorites as well. I really only have a few “favorite” players over time – I’ll list them below as it’ snot a very consistent list:

Mats Naslund
      Bo Mikeal Andersson
      Patrick Roy
      Gilbert Perrault
      Saku Koivu
      Phil Housley

Can you tell I’m a Sabres convert to the Habs??

35. Un Canadien errant says:

I don’t believe the rumour that the Canadiens are close to a deal on a Tomas Plekanec for Keith Yandle trade with Phoenix, but man I want to believe it. I was imagining our lineup with a Yandle-Subban first pairing, and how much that helped our team.

Breaking out of our zone. 5-on-5 scoring. Second-wave powerplay. Easier minutes on Andrei. Lesser role for the third pairing, thus smoother intro to the NHL for our rookie d-men. Availability of Josh Gorges for a minor deal.

Lars Eller given more minutes, an opportunity to assume a larger role, take on more responsibility, and thriving. Alex Galchenyuk able to switch over to centre. Daniel Brière being relied on more in the Top 9, giving us more value in his final year.

Forwards hit with precise passes on breakaways, in full flight. Opposition trying to figure out ways to pressure a trio of Carey Price, P.K. and the newbie with dump-ins, and coming up snake-eyes.

Dealing away some of our strength. Converting that into assets that bolster our weaknesses.

Mr. Bergevin, you have my permission to pull the trigger on this deal. And try to get us a second-rounder while you’re at it, we’d like a shot at that Alexis Vanier kid.

———————————————————————–
    My sources are unreliable, but their info is fascinating.–Woody Paige

• Habfan17 says:

I like it to, for all the reasons you mention, I do wonder if it would not be better to use Pleks to get a top 6 power winger though! That to me is a bigger need. The prospect depth on wings is low for help in the near future. With the terrible ailment pushing Bozon back, to the trading of Kristo and Collberg. There is a lack on candidates to make the team next season.

Habfan17

• CJ says:

Way too good to be true. So far as I am concerned, there is no chance that Phoenix would even consider a deal involving Pleks for Yandle. IMO, I believe we would need to add at least one more element (top pick, or top prospect) to even start the conversation.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Yep, the same words I used yesterday. But I tried to talk myself into it, how we tend to undervalue some of our players sometimes, that Tomas is a centre in a seller’s market this summer. Sigh…

And yes, I imagined we’d have to ante in some throw-ins, and not just the ghost of Yannick Weber.

36. mrhabby says:

Habs lead the leaque in retiring players numbers….lol

37. franco says:

Food for thought (yum, yum)

All the size kings and queens should be reminded what they would have done in the past.

They would have chosen Weikinshiser over Savard, Beliveau needed replacing by a big center and Weikinhiser was just coming off an 89 goal season.

5’7 Henri Richard would never have been signed along with Galagher, Nasland, J.C. Trembly…. Koivu…the list is long.

Roenick, if he were available would have been ignored.

And all the big stiffs drafted in the first round would have been your choices to. Brad Brown first round, David Wilkie, Brent Bilideau,

• CJ says:

Good morning Franco.

I am one of the size kings you are referring to. Although I do respect your opinion, it is fair to say that mine differs. Allow me to clarify;

I have no issue with Gally on our team. He has the heart of a lion and is a winner. The problem, IMO, is not with carrying one or two players under 5’9″. The issue is when you carry 5-6 on your 23 man roster. Going one step further, I have no issue with drafting the best player who fits our needs (for example, I would not draft a goalie in the first round, even if he was ranked above the slot in which we were drafting as it does not address a deficiency). I love watching guys like Martin Reway play, however, so far as I am concerned, Connor Crisp has a better chance of cracking the current lineup then Reway, Hudon, or the now traded Collberg. It is not that I think Crisp is the better player, however we still have a need to add size to our line up.

Using another sports analogy, you can be the bat or you can be the ball. Going forward, I would like to mesh skill with size, so that we can both score goals, but also hit back and not constantly take a pounding (see Josh Gorges). IMO the LA Kings are the new standard in the NHL. They are big, young and skillfull. They have veteran players who compliment their core group. They do not play the over 32 crowd 23:00 minutes a night like we did with Gionta and Pleks in the playoffs. They ride their young guns and use the veterans as insulation.

Watching the Canadiens live gives a greater appreciation for the issue involving size. It’s not that we are not trying, but when two guys go into the corner, both equally skilled and determined, the majority of the time the bigger man will retrieve the puck.

Again, this is just my two cents. A 23 man roster needs balance. IMO, we were unbalanced two years ago, and showed improvement this past season. We require further changes to compliment the steps we have taken to shift the balance thus far. Exiting Gionta, this year or next, and eventually replacing him with a DLR (offensive role) or Crisp (checking role) will make this team more difficult to play against.

• bwoar says:

That is some pretty pointless provocation. I think the obvious is up there, flying overhead, and you just need to look (up).

38. DipsyDoodler says:

One for old time Expos fans. Who was the player who specialized in getting hit by pitches? He’d crowd the plate and just stand there.

—–
    Moving. Forward.

39. Captain aHab says:

Cap for the next couple of years.

For the upcoming year, we currently have roughly $45.65M signed to the cap pay roll. Let’s add Subban @ 8, Weaver @ 1.25, Eller @ 3, and White @ 1 and you are now at $58.90M. Then for fun, add Markov @ $6 and you are at $64.90. And you still have to replace Vanek and Gionta and a couple of other bit players. Cap is expected to be around $69-70M or so so there won’t be much left.

Then let’s go to the following year. Right now the only contracts that would be coming off the books are Brière @4 and Budaj@1.4. You might save a bit on the Brière deal but you won’t save a ton between Budaj and whoever replaces him. Then you’ll have to reup the following contracts: Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Bournival, Tinordi, Beaulieu. Chris is of the impression that they will all get low balled but even if they are low-balled, their current salaries already total about $4M. I’m guessing they won’t be low balled to the point of paying them less than now. Even if you put them at a total of $6M (and I think that would be heavy low-balling), that will still be a chunk of cash to find.

This is what worries me about signing Markov @ $6M and Gionta for pretty much anything for a few seasons each: we need to keep money for the kids. Maybe I’m missing something ?…..

—————-
    Prepare to be boarded!!

• mrhabby says:

and this is one of the main reasons you might see some trades for draft picks this year and next.

• Captain aHab says:

To me, if the organization starts trading youth with unknown potential for draft picks because it cannot get rid of aging vets with NTC and NMC clauses (or if it has to give away assets to get rid of those vets they themselves signed), then I’ll be seriously wondering about the new management. I understand about making the playoffs but that would be extremely short-sighted.

—————-
        Prepare to be boarded!!

• mrhabby says:

I was thinking of the vets that could be traded..Moen, Markov, Gionta, Bork , Gorges players who could jobs could be taken over by some of the younger and cheaper players.

• ont fan says:

It surprises me that so many worry about the salaries and cap. They have people in the organization that are paid to do that all day long.

• Captain aHab says:

They also at one point had people who thought that throwing in McDonaugh to get Gomez was a smashing idea……everyone makes mistakes, especially when making the playoffs short term becomes the imperative.

—————-
        Prepare to be boarded!!

• ont fan says:

It took 6 years to see what McDonagh has become.. Let’s give it a rest. Every team has many deals like that.

• Captain aHab says:

Yes and they might make cap-related mistakes now that will force us to let some kids/assets go that we will regret for years to come. My point is that, unlike you, I don’t think they are infallible and so I’ll wonder about cap management and signing guys on the downsides of their careers to significant money and term.

—————-
            Prepare to be boarded!!

It is important that every day the McDonagh trade made by the team with a different owner, different president, different GM, different coach, be brought up daily on this site. It is imperative to today’s ownership, mgmt and coaching staff.

Lest we never forget that trade…..

• ont fan says:

Are you serious? Everyone is infallible. The years of hockey knowledge that are running this team dwarf our expertize.

• Captain aHab says:

I guess we shouldn’t be discussing anything club related then since we don’t know anything…..let’s just keep discussion on this board to “let’s go boys!”

—————-
            Prepare to be boarded!!

40. Maritime Ronn says:

A few rumors floating around that Danny Briere ‘may’ end up in Buffalo – and it makes sense on so many fronts.

Briere Cap Hit: $4M

– Buffalo is presently $18M below the Mandatory spending Cap Floor with 15 players signed. Even when they take care of their 4 RFAs, they will still be way below the Cap Floor.
    Huge multi-million dollar fines +, if a team does not reach the Cap floor spending.

– Briere knows Buffalo – could be Captain or Assistant Captain and show the youngsters how to be Pros, and his season would end the 1st week of April. (nice long summer…)

– Briere has a NMC, yet if it was explained to him that once again he will be an 8-10 minute 4th liner, he may lift the clause.
    In Buffalo, his ToI could reach 15 minutes with PP time.

– Habs need to get rid of that Briere dead money $4M Cap Hit.
    Each dollar of Cap Space is precious and could mean the difference in picking up a UFA or making a big trade before or during the season.

• Captain aHab says:

I sincerely hope this is true and that we won’t have to give them a prospect/pick to make them swallow Brière.

—————-
      Prepare to be boarded!!

• Maritime Ronn says:

Actually Buffalo GM Tim Murray is alread on record saying he would take some “Bad contracts” off other teams if they allowed him to move up in the draft or add other picks

• Captain aHab says:

Brière wasn’t a great signing to start off…let’s not compound it by sending an asset to get rid of it.

—————-
          Prepare to be boarded!!

• Maritime Ronn says:

Didn’t say send an asset in a briere deal – just that Murray is open to bad contracts that hurt other teams close to the Cap such as Philly-Boston-Chicag-SJ and teams with other issues like the Rangers-Pitt-Toronto

• Captain aHab says:

Well giving a pick away or switching for a less desirable pick is still an asset lost to me. Less of an issue with that than with losing a promising kid though.

—————-
            Prepare to be boarded!!

• DipsyDoodler says:

I like it.

—–
      Moving. Forward.

41. Bill J says:

Darren Dreger believes Montreal is a more desirable free agent destination than they have been in the last 10-15 years.

I’d tend to agree with him, unfortunately this may be the weakest UFA year since Gomez signed with the Rangers… :(

• Kooch7800 says:

With a goalie like Price back there and Subban on D I think people realize the team is headed in the right direction. Having a goalie like Price makes a big difference.

If you look at Vanek’s first comments when he came he was excited about having an elite goalie and they can take you quite far.

If we add some goal scoring this team can be dangerous. Problem is the only way we will get goals in by free agency or trade. We don’t have much in the pipeline

• nunacanadien says:

The problem is and has always been started by Guy Carboneau and Gilette. The habs were bought out by a Toronto based ownership committee. Since when does anyone in Toronto want anyone in Montreal to win? Never. So wake up and smell the crap you are part of. No matter how nicely they package it, the people with the money who will give you what you need, which is superstars, won’t give you the money, they’ll give you money to waste on a Gionta or Gomez, but not on a Vanek longterm. So why bother? If Bergevin is really a man, he’ll get us what we need to win. Big real NHL players who can score and hit.

• Kooch7800 says:

welcome back Nuna. I see you have been reading more of the Deep Thoughts by Jack Handy.

I think the habs will invest in building some stability and pushing the team forward. From what I have seen of MB we have made some nice progress since he has joined the management team. Not every move *cough* Briere*cough* is a good one though

• Maritime Ronn says:

Over and above UFAs, some players may now also wish to remove Montreal off their, ” Don’t trade me there” lists.

Montreal does have its hurdles:

Only ‘real’ Pro team in town (Fishbowl Syndrome) – taxation and cost of living – a culture that some may not wish to experience….yet if a player wants to play in a great hockey city and in a great building, Montreal is the best city in Canada for that.

What also becomes attractive is a team that has a legitimate chance…to get out of the Eastern Conference and play for a Cup.

Then the overall experience of Hockey
      A 1st class owner that will spare no dollar – be that Cap Spending or ‘off-Cap spending’such as facility, and complete management and scouting teams consensus best building in the NHL…and of course, passionate fans.

• Kooch7800 says:

passionate fans can be both positive and negative. Especially when you get the same money playing in Phoenix as opposed to Montreal. Most of the players have families and if they are in a city like Montreal you get recognized everywhere you go. If you are in Phoenix you can live pretty easy while making insane cash.

Montreal wouldn’t be for everyone but if they want a legit shot at the cup in the East it is starting to become a better looking destination

• Maritime Ronn says:

Kooch

No doubt you are absolutely right about the constant microscope and outside pressures…and that is why so many players have ‘Canada’ off their list.

…and seriously, if you were a solid UFA with choice, how do you beat LA living on Hermosa Beach, or Tampa living in Sarasota or Longboat Key/Siesta Key…

• Captain aHab says:

Chez Paré?

—————-
            Prepare to be boarded!!

• Kooch7800 says:

Makes you wonder now Ronn if Detroit will be now a city less desired to play in. I know all the players would live in the burbs which are still quite nice but the actual city of Detroit is not even considered a major city anymore and the crime is unbelievable.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Kooch

That city went down the toilet. They try and keep it out of the MSM, but it’s a disaster.
            A fully loaded Rambo would be nervous downtown

• shiram says:

Rambo, nah it’s Detroit we’re talking about!
            They should be starting to build Robocop anytime now!

• Captain aHab says:

What’s funny is that we hear radio ads right now inviting people to take holidays to Detroit and making it sound like the most peaceful place on earth.

—————-
            Prepare to be boarded!!

• Chris says:

Part of this was the changing tax situation in the US. There are still tax-free states, but for the ones with state taxes, the gap between the US and Canada has narrowed considerably.

That being said, I can easily see Montreal regressing for a year or two if they lose Markov, Gionta and Vanek from last year’s playoff team.