Canadiens waive G Denis, D Henry

The Canadiens this afternoon waived goaltender Marc Denis and defenceman Alex Henry, leaving both at the disposal of other NHL clubs. Should they go unclaimed, they will be bound for the American Hockey League’s Hamilton Bulldogs

The players’ NHL service meant the Canadiens had to use this process in order to return them to the minors.

Denis, 31, signed a one-year, two-way deal with the Canadiens on July 3, having played 348 NHL games over portions of 10 seasons with Colorado, Columbus and, most recently, Tampa Bay.

He had been placed on waivers, then bought out, by Tampa Bay shortly before signing with Montreal.

Denis clearly wasn’t going to be on the Canadiens’ season-opening roster, though goaltending coach Rollie Melanson said a few weeks ago that the veteran "is going to be an ace in the hole for us."

Denis appeared in three preseason games with a save percentage of .852 and an average of 4.00, the weakest of the four netminders who got work.

"If my road back to the NHL means going through Hamilton, I’m ready to do that," Denis told NHL.com in July. "Just because I’ve played 8 1/2 years in the NHL doesn’t mean I’m too good to go to the AHL. It is a step back, but it’s a step back to go forward."

The stock of C├ędrick Desjardins, meanwhile, has risen sharply. The 23-year-old was perfect through 45 minutes of preseason action, plus a four-round shootout in Detroit. He won a Memorial Cup with Quebec in 2006 and last season, his second as a pro, led the East Coast league’s Cincinnati Cyclones to the Kelly Cup title.

Henry, 28, was signed to a one-year deal the same day as Denis. The 6-foot-5, 220-pounder had three goals, 13 assists and 142 penalty minutes for Milwaukee in the AHL last season. The past two seasons a member of the Nashville Predators’ organization, he’s played 175 NHL games for Edmonton, Washington and Minnesota.

Henry had a spirited scrap in the Canadiens’ first preseason game in Halifax, battling Boston’s Byron Bitz, and two more against Ottawa’s Chris Neil and Brad Isbister on Sept. 26 at the Bell Centre. He appeared in three exhibition games and has been rehabilitating a back injury in recent days.

Good morning Robert.! Do you have the numbers, I will call this morning.
    Ian

2. secretdragonfly says:

Probably the same morons who boo the national anthems.

3. Jim M says:

Get the shooters to not be as accurate or fast. Then, instead of a .933 save percentage, he could be PERFECT.

4. HabsFanInTampa says:

Whew, I’m so glad Marc Denis is almost history with our beloved club. I was shocked when the Habs picked him up this off-season. I saw Denis play extensively here in Tampa, and was not impressed.

5. Jim M says:

Ton

If you will look at the scouting report on Price, his glove side(left) is not weak. In fact, the opposite is true. However, a tired goalie, which he was, will not perform to expectations. It’s no more complicated than that.

There are many other reasons why the Habs lost that final. I wouldn’t put it all on Price’s shoulders.

6. nightmare_49 says:

Ole Ole OLe Ole.

7. Ton says:

If he was .933 in the playoffs we would have been in the conference finals last year. 70% or more of the goals he let in (rds graphed them on a monitor last year) were on the golve side. Again I have never see such a weakness exposed that badly. I hope it could be solved. I really do.

8. Rooster says:

uhhhh…Yes we are?

We’re just doing it with sophmores (who proved themselves last year) as apposed to rookies (who have yet to prove that they can play)

~Listen to the rooster! He knows what he’s saying!

9. Ton says:

Pkease don’t be misinformed. Its a know fact he gets beat glove side and high plus many pucks come out of his glove hand into the net. Being tired could be percieved as an excuse at this level. If he was tired than it should have been known to everyone and another goalie would have been put into service. All I’m saying is lets hope he plugs these holes because if he does he’s one heck of goalie and one that will take you very far into the playoffs.

10. HabsFanInTampa says:

Gotta love it when a Maple Laff kisses the ice like that. Bonus: the player that gave the hit then wins the ensuing retaliation fight….Priceless!!! :)

11. Number31 says:

I was at the game. Would you believe the excessive booing is loudest coming from the kids zone? I told them to shut up but they didn’t hear me…

About Price in the game, if he wasn’t as good as he was it would have been 5-0 Wild in the first period. Seriously, turnover after turnover and always screened by his defensemen who lets a shooter with a quick hidden release right in front of the net. He had no chance on Gaborik’s shot at all. Actually I think all three goals were done the same: shooter hides behind a defensemen who follows him in front of the net where shooter releases a quick shot in the blink of an eye while goalie is screened. Force the guy to the corner at least, not the net! On the other end, Backstrom was never screened or was shot at directly. I think our guys need to stop aiming for the team logos on the shirt ;p
    ******
    the notwithstanding clause – The general consensus of an ordinary Habs fan in Montreal

12. Jim M says:

Did you even take the time to read the scouting report on Price? I guess Gainey, Timmins, and a large number of professionals(including Scotty Bowman) got it wrong then. He wouldn’t have been drafted 5th in the 1st round if that was true. Who in his right mind would pick a goalie with that kind of weakness?

13. cautiousoptimist says:

I think the pick-up made a lot of sense — Denis cost next to nothing, could always be waivered away for half of next to nothing, and was given a fair chance to turn his game around. If he’d succeeded, Gainey would have had yet another piece of trade bait to potentially sweeten a deal, and the worst possible outcome is an experienced vet to teach Cedrick Desjardins a few things in Hamilton. But I don’t think Gainey or anyone else ever saw him playing in Montreal, barring injuries to both our goalies.

1. http://www.flickeringpictures.com – not a hockey site, but still kinda neat
    2. Josh Gorges on Montreal’s attack: “They’re comin’, they’re comin’ and they keep comin’. Just line after line, wave after wave…”

14. likehoy says:

you know what i love about our team this year…

so many teams have “prospects” that they’re throwing into their team in hopes that they work out as gem’s…but our team has all the lines filled out and a prospect has to steal a job…we’re not banking on some young guy to save our asses…

15. Kristopher7 says:

A lot of people that go to the Habs games are bandwagon hipsters that go because the team is winning. I can’t afford to go to many games since I’m a poor student but you’d never hear me boo the Habs, ever.

Probably a bunch of drunk/retarded people that were booing. It sort of disgusts me that people booed.

16. Harani says:

Hey…juss got back from Toronto…it was soo sick…I took ma jeep with two habs flags..and every passing car stared at us right in the face with a cold look….it was soo funny to watch but…whatever…the best is always the best and truth can sometimes hurt! I missed the game but managed to check the score…hOw was PRice? Hope he wasn’t the main reason for our loss….but c’mon..it’s preseason…and btw…wats with the booing…wat happened…jus bcoz we were losing ppl had to boo?

17. Ton says:

You asked about Price. I may get jumped on this but I have never seen a goalie that is has weak as he is on the right side, top shelf. He gets scored their at least once a game. The league knows it, how does he plug up this hole.

18. sidhu says:

Gotta love this clip – took place in TO too:

19. Drive_For_25 says:

You must have never watched David Abeischer polay.

20. The Cat says:

Youre right. Price has to work on that. Every goalie has his weakness but it is a little glaring on Price.

21. bigjames says:

in fact barry beck was given a special resident’s visa under a new scheme to attract overseas talent to hong kong. i was amazed at the time that a hockey player applied and was accepted.

22. HabFab says:

Neat ,thanks for the update.

23. bigjames says:

that is absolutely true. actually despite our tropical climate, hockey is really popular, esp among youngsters. every shopping mall built here in the last 8 years or so has a rink as one of the attractions, and there is a sort of peewee league. i am happy because i have a 10 month old son and will take him skating as soon as he can walk (should be in abt amonth!). there is also a grownup league and i know a few guys who play regularly. also, hockey is picking up in mainland china. may be sometime before the nhl gets an equivalent of yao ming, but it will happen one day!

24. bigjames says:

i agree 100%. no one can dis this team like that. i knew right away last season that he would not stay here. management needs to make a statement to other young guys abt that kinda stuff…

25. HabFab says:

Big James ,read today that Barry Beck was running a hockey program over in your neck of the woods.Do you know anything about it,seems a little different not sure of potential there.

26. HabFab says:

Mayer is playing in the Q as he is still junior age.Luc Lacasse is our 5th pro goaltender,he will probably split time between the AHL and ECHL.

27. MatttheHabsFan says:

I’m pretty certain Mayer was sent back to the Q.

Alex Kovalev ~ “I still have four fingers left”

28. Komi For Captain says:

Wouldn’t Mayer play backup in Hamilton? Where is he playing if Denis is there?

29. HabFab says:

-I would expect that Denis and Desjardins split the duties with the Habs hoping Desjardins take control.Denis is insurance for both teams.
    -don’t expect to see Halak moved for a couple of years, then he will need to be number 1.At that point he is so much more valuable in a trade.

30. Komi For Captain says:

I’m such a dummy. I forgot that. But yes. Loic Lacasse is the extra man. I liked him when I saw them scrimmage last year in Pierrefonds.

31. cautiousoptimist says:

I would guess that Desjardins starts in Hamilton either way, with Denis as his backup. Desjardins needs to play and get some experience, and Denis isn’t going to learn anything he doesn’t already know.

1. http://www.flickeringpictures.com – not a hockey site, but still kinda neat

32. G BO says:

Warm welcome, boys
    but come on now, are any of you really going to complain about a fine ass up in some habs panties? i’m shocked really.

33. HabFab says:

Don’t get too excited, check out bio ,he is not a she….too bad though.Nice picture!

34. TommyB says:

You really gotta wonder about guys posting with female avatars. There are a few of them now. It’s a quirk, to say the least.

BTW, a tip of the hat to the Princess Pat’s.

35. Hoegarden says:

J.T.,
    good report on the baby Habs. I saw Valentenko here in Ottawa last week and was somewhat disappointed in his overall play. Hopefully he’ll pick himself up and be the defenseman everyone is predicting.
    Although Desjardins only played one period he sure looked like he had the potential to make it to the NHL some day.
    cheers

36. HabFab says:

JT ,what did you think of Valentenko? After all the hype was very disappointed in what I’ve seen.

PS; never mind ,figured you would have put something in your blog and of course found it.You should advertise,it is very good.

37. Number31 says:

Ya, Desharnais impressed me during the preseason games I saw him play. I’m hoping one day he gets a serious look from the Habs. I look forward to hearing how his season pans out with the Bulldogs this year.
    ******

38. HabFab says:

JT , Wyman was pressed into playing defense two years ago at Dartmouth(?) due to several injuries to his teams defensive corp .He apparently didn’t look out of place there and ended up playing several games.Agree on the Red thing and alluded to that here BUT living legend and all that.

39. moser17 says:

Anyone have thoughts on the chances of another team making a play for Denis?

40. filincal says:

not likely, he should be with the Dogs this season.

I BLEED BLEU BLANC ET ROUGE!!!

41. yathehabsrule says:

seeing that he had been on waivers before the Habs picked him up, I doubt anyone else will take him. He’ll likely stay in Hamilton.

42. sholi2000.com says:

I’m going to say no, and I like Denis.

sholi2000.com
    God Bless Our Infantry
    2PPCLI

43. spirit of the Habs says:

Would you want the Habs to pick up a goalie with a 4.00 gaa and 852 sv pctge?

Canadas Team, Gods Team You name it The Habs are it

44. HABZ24 says:

we have so much depth now some one had to go. a 4.0 avg for denis yikes.now he’ll have time to recover from red light burn on the back of his neck.

45. Drive_For_25 says:

nobody went anywhere, except to Hamilton for now.

46. usversusthem says:

Grabovski just scored his fifth goal of the preseason, and added an assist. He’s put up 5-2-7 in 8 games, +4 with 16 shots on goal, 2 penalty minutes and 0-1 in the shootout. He’s never been a minus for a game, and he’s only averaging 16:16 in ice time (not including tonight’s game.) I’m going to miss this kid. Did I mention he’s scored in 4 straight games? Damn.

47. sholi2000.com says:

I’ve seen who the Leafs have been playing. Trust me, the pre season has been little challenge for them.

Let’s wait until the reg season to make our little arm chair comments about past players.

You could be a leading scoring on the Leafs right now.

sholi2000.com
    God Bless Our Infantry
    2PPCLI

48. Drive_For_25 says:

Why would you miss this kid, you never got to know him. Sure he’s got some talent but he can’t hit or outmuscle anyone except maybe Wellwood, and he couldn’t make our team the whole time we had him. The prospect we got for him will probably be better for us than him and we also got Lang by trading the draft pick we got for him. I personally won’t miss him one bit.

49. Habs fan in SF says:

not surprising – since he is playing on the laffs number one line and getting the ice time. there was no doubting his offensive ability, BUT you don’t pull that sh*t he did last year … leaving the team to go visit with your agent and he’s just a rookie?! glad we traded him away cuz that was a dumb move on his part.

50. G BO says:

Hey Fellas
    I’m new to the neighborhood, but am a long time reader.

Apparently the Grabovski trade has worked out in both teams favour. I’ll admit, I didn’t think Grabovski was anything special when I watched him play with the habs last season. Now I just see that he fits the maple queefs style of play more so than the run and gun style in montreal.

at the end of the day, would you trade Grabovski for Tanguay?

I would!

51. sholi2000.com says:

Hey G Bo

Nice ask! You work out? :)

Seriously, in a couple weeks no one will talk about Grabs “trade me right now” bovski!

sholi2000.com
    God Bless Our Infantry
    2PPCLI

52. spirit of the Habs says:

Grabovski seemed to have a lot of talent but not much else easy to knock off puck and he does not have enough speed to get around that

Canadas Team, Gods Team You name it The Habs are it

53. HabFab says:

The BullDogs beat the Marlies 4-3 in O/T to win their AHL exhibition tournament.Lehoux had 2 goals,Latrendresse and Anderson with O/T winner rounded out the scoring.Desharnais with 6 points in 3 games was named tournament MVP.Hopefully we will hear more from our Newfoundland contingent.

54. J.T. says:

I was there for practice and the game last night…Desharnais is really impressive! I hope the little guy gets a real shot.

55. Big Bird says:

This has nothing to do with hockey so bear with me please. I’ve got kids so this hits close to home: a little girl was abducted in Edmonton today.

I realize we have lots of Habs fans here from all over the country so keep your eyes and ears open for any information useful to authorities. Thanks.

56. Mike says:

horrible story. My thoughts are with that girl and her family.

57. Y says:

Thankfully she has been found.

58. habs R my team says:

If we lose Denis, no loss. I doubt any other team will want him, too horrible. But I wouldn’t mind it if we lose him. Then maybe Gainey would go and get a better goalie.

59. Habs fan in SF says:

so if we lose denis (highly unlikely, although back up goalies are a little rare these days) is desjardins starting in hamilton? if so, who’s gonna back him up there? even if we keep denis, has desjardins played himself into the number one job in hamilton? in any case, i did not see denis being our back up if we traded halak – nor would i want to see him be our back up.