Canadiens waive G Denis, D Henry

The Canadiens this afternoon waived goaltender Marc Denis and defenceman Alex Henry, leaving both at the disposal of other NHL clubs. Should they go unclaimed, they will be bound for the American Hockey League’s Hamilton Bulldogs

The players’ NHL service meant the Canadiens had to use this process in order to return them to the minors.

Denis, 31, signed a one-year, two-way deal with the Canadiens on July 3, having played 348 NHL games over portions of 10 seasons with Colorado, Columbus and, most recently, Tampa Bay.

He had been placed on waivers, then bought out, by Tampa Bay shortly before signing with Montreal.

Denis clearly wasn’t going to be on the Canadiens’ season-opening roster, though goaltending coach Rollie Melanson said a few weeks ago that the veteran "is going to be an ace in the hole for us."

Denis appeared in three preseason games with a save percentage of .852 and an average of 4.00, the weakest of the four netminders who got work.

"If my road back to the NHL means going through Hamilton, I’m ready to do that," Denis told NHL.com in July. "Just because I’ve played 8 1/2 years in the NHL doesn’t mean I’m too good to go to the AHL. It is a step back, but it’s a step back to go forward."

The stock of C├ędrick Desjardins, meanwhile, has risen sharply. The 23-year-old was perfect through 45 minutes of preseason action, plus a four-round shootout in Detroit. He won a Memorial Cup with Quebec in 2006 and last season, his second as a pro, led the East Coast league’s Cincinnati Cyclones to the Kelly Cup title.

Henry, 28, was signed to a one-year deal the same day as Denis. The 6-foot-5, 220-pounder had three goals, 13 assists and 142 penalty minutes for Milwaukee in the AHL last season. The past two seasons a member of the Nashville Predators’ organization, he’s played 175 NHL games for Edmonton, Washington and Minnesota.

Henry had a spirited scrap in the Canadiens’ first preseason game in Halifax, battling Boston’s Byron Bitz, and two more against Ottawa’s Chris Neil and Brad Isbister on Sept. 26 at the Bell Centre. He appeared in three exhibition games and has been rehabilitating a back injury in recent days.

1. Number31 says:

I was at the game. Would you believe the excessive booing is loudest coming from the kids zone? I told them to shut up but they didn’t hear me…

About Price in the game, if he wasn’t as good as he was it would have been 5-0 Wild in the first period. Seriously, turnover after turnover and always screened by his defensemen who lets a shooter with a quick hidden release right in front of the net. He had no chance on Gaborik’s shot at all. Actually I think all three goals were done the same: shooter hides behind a defensemen who follows him in front of the net where shooter releases a quick shot in the blink of an eye while goalie is screened. Force the guy to the corner at least, not the net! On the other end, Backstrom was never screened or was shot at directly. I think our guys need to stop aiming for the team logos on the shirt ;p
    ******
    the notwithstanding clause – The general consensus of an ordinary Habs fan in Montreal

2. Jim M says:

Did you even take the time to read the scouting report on Price? I guess Gainey, Timmins, and a large number of professionals(including Scotty Bowman) got it wrong then. He wouldn’t have been drafted 5th in the 1st round if that was true. Who in his right mind would pick a goalie with that kind of weakness?

3. cautiousoptimist says:

I think the pick-up made a lot of sense — Denis cost next to nothing, could always be waivered away for half of next to nothing, and was given a fair chance to turn his game around. If he’d succeeded, Gainey would have had yet another piece of trade bait to potentially sweeten a deal, and the worst possible outcome is an experienced vet to teach Cedrick Desjardins a few things in Hamilton. But I don’t think Gainey or anyone else ever saw him playing in Montreal, barring injuries to both our goalies.

1. http://www.flickeringpictures.com – not a hockey site, but still kinda neat
    2. Josh Gorges on Montreal’s attack: “They’re comin’, they’re comin’ and they keep comin’. Just line after line, wave after wave…”

4. likehoy says:

you know what i love about our team this year…

so many teams have “prospects” that they’re throwing into their team in hopes that they work out as gem’s…but our team has all the lines filled out and a prospect has to steal a job…we’re not banking on some young guy to save our asses…

5. Kristopher7 says:

A lot of people that go to the Habs games are bandwagon hipsters that go because the team is winning. I can’t afford to go to many games since I’m a poor student but you’d never hear me boo the Habs, ever.

Probably a bunch of drunk/retarded people that were booing. It sort of disgusts me that people booed.

6. Harani says:

Hey…juss got back from Toronto…it was soo sick…I took ma jeep with two habs flags..and every passing car stared at us right in the face with a cold look….it was soo funny to watch but…whatever…the best is always the best and truth can sometimes hurt! I missed the game but managed to check the score…hOw was PRice? Hope he wasn’t the main reason for our loss….but c’mon..it’s preseason…and btw…wats with the booing…wat happened…jus bcoz we were losing ppl had to boo?

7. Ton says:

You asked about Price. I may get jumped on this but I have never seen a goalie that is has weak as he is on the right side, top shelf. He gets scored their at least once a game. The league knows it, how does he plug up this hole.

8. sidhu says:

Gotta love this clip – took place in TO too:

9. Drive_For_25 says:

You must have never watched David Abeischer polay.

10. The Cat says:

Youre right. Price has to work on that. Every goalie has his weakness but it is a little glaring on Price.

Good morning Robert.! Do you have the numbers, I will call this morning.
    Ian

12. secretdragonfly says:

Probably the same morons who boo the national anthems.

13. Jim M says:

Get the shooters to not be as accurate or fast. Then, instead of a .933 save percentage, he could be PERFECT.

14. HabsFanInTampa says:

Whew, I’m so glad Marc Denis is almost history with our beloved club. I was shocked when the Habs picked him up this off-season. I saw Denis play extensively here in Tampa, and was not impressed.

15. Jim M says:

Ton

If you will look at the scouting report on Price, his glove side(left) is not weak. In fact, the opposite is true. However, a tired goalie, which he was, will not perform to expectations. It’s no more complicated than that.

There are many other reasons why the Habs lost that final. I wouldn’t put it all on Price’s shoulders.

16. nightmare_49 says:

Ole Ole OLe Ole.

17. Ton says:

If he was .933 in the playoffs we would have been in the conference finals last year. 70% or more of the goals he let in (rds graphed them on a monitor last year) were on the golve side. Again I have never see such a weakness exposed that badly. I hope it could be solved. I really do.

18. Rooster says:

uhhhh…Yes we are?

We’re just doing it with sophmores (who proved themselves last year) as apposed to rookies (who have yet to prove that they can play)

~Listen to the rooster! He knows what he’s saying!

19. Ton says:

Pkease don’t be misinformed. Its a know fact he gets beat glove side and high plus many pucks come out of his glove hand into the net. Being tired could be percieved as an excuse at this level. If he was tired than it should have been known to everyone and another goalie would have been put into service. All I’m saying is lets hope he plugs these holes because if he does he’s one heck of goalie and one that will take you very far into the playoffs.

20. HabsFanInTampa says:

Gotta love it when a Maple Laff kisses the ice like that. Bonus: the player that gave the hit then wins the ensuing retaliation fight….Priceless!!! :)