Update: Hamrlik says no to Canadiens

hamrlik

The Gazette’s Pat Hickey thinks the Canadiens decision to offer a contract to Roman Hamrlik is a smart move because the veteran would serve as an excellent mentor to the likes of Alexei Yemelin and other young defenders.

And it would also allow Raphael Diaz and Brendon Nash to get lots of playing time in Hamilton for another season, and the Canadiens could use Yannick Weber as a fourth-line forward and power-play specialist.

La Presse reports, however, that Hamrlik is hesitant to accept the one-year contract he has been offered. On Wednesday morning, Hamrlik turned down the one-year contract offer from the Canadiens, RDS says.

1. krob1000 says:

anyone use this site regularly?…he seems to quote newpapers and columnists instead of “sources”
    says Kopecky signed thismorning, Leafs traded a 5th for Talbots rights, Cole testing free agency for sure,Jagr offer from Pens allegedly 2.1 million,etc….maybe old news but I hadn’t heard this stuff other places

• ed lopaz says:

Talon told The Hockey Network yesterday – I saw the interview – that Kopecky has agreed to sign with Florida.

• 24moreCups says:

I really hope Talbot doesn’t go to the Leafs

2. Mike D says:

If it’s true that Hamr turned down the offer and this whole situation can be put to bed, then I can rest easier today than I did yesterday.

Hamr’s still capable of being an effective player in this league with appropriate ice-time, but having Gill and Spacek already on our roster made it a bad move to consider re-signing him in the first place (unless we already had a trade partner for Spacek, which I doubt).

Sorry Roman. From a sentimental standpoint I will miss you and if we were lacking a veteran presence on our blue line, then I would have been in favour of bringing you back. Unfortunately that wasn’t the case and due to your contract ending one year before Spacek’s, you were the odd man out. All the best to you, sir.

- Honestly yours

3. PeterD says:

Forget about Weber as a Fourth line forward and PP specialist…HE is a Defenceman and if he isn’t offered a decent and realistic shot at making the team this season then set him free and trade him.

I would rather have him in the back end than Spatches and soem of the I think he may have more upside than Wizki long term.

But the thing here is at his age and his stage of development, he is either part of the big clubs plans or he is not …just make a decision and play him or trade him…but stop messing with his career.

Oh, and goodbye Hammr it was nice to have had you in the fold these past few years, but at your age, it is time for everyone to move on into our future and it seems like you aren’t part of that…all the best in your next team or retirement.

4. J_P says:

This is actually great news. I dont want the Hammer back. Besides, unless there’s an injury, NAsh and Diaz should still be in hamilton. If the habs can’t come to terms with gorges (considering he’s RFA I dont see why they wouldn’t be able to) they could target Erhoff through free agency, or re-sign the wiz.

Another free agent that I wouldn’t mind seeing the habs take a swing at is Eric Cole. Sure, he’s not the eric cole of the past, but he would be playing on our third line, and could move up to top-6 duty if needed. If the price is right, I dont see why not. Balancing out the attack should be the habs priority right now.

• RobertAlanFord says:

I dont want Erhoff. I thought him and Edler outright sucked in the finals. Erik Cole however is on my wishlist. The guy plays with his heart on his sleeve. Just hope he doesn’t want silly money which he probably will.

• Mike D says:

I’d rather try Anthony Stewart instead of Cole. He’s younger, cheaper and has more of a future. Since he wasn’t qualified it increases our chances of landing him….oh and he’s from LaSalle so he has ties to the city already.

- Honestly yours

5. Chuck says:

Sign Wiz and turn him into a forward. They could use his offensive upside and banging up front, and we already have enough bodies that play defense as well or better than he does. You could still have him on the point on the power play.

• HardHabits says:

Close. You’re not thinking out of the box enough. Markov, Wiz and PK should be our top line.

Gomez and Moen or maybe even Pyatt can play defense.

6. avatar_58 says:

Hamr is another one of those players who’s a good guy and I like, but enough already. He’s not what the habs need. Same goes for Spacek.

Move on to younger and more durable d-men. Give Yemelin and Diaz a chance, sign the Wiz even if you have to overpay, let’s get this show on the road. Markov and Gill are the only vets I want to see back there

• RobertAlanFord says:

Once again i totally agree with you. Diaz however is bound for Hamilton. Once the injuries roll in, and they will, he’ll be called up first.

• byrneoNL says:

Totally agree. Hammer gave 100% last year and I respect that, but our D is too slow. How many times did Hammer fail to keep a puck in on the PP? LOTS of times cause he never had the legs to get over to the boards on time. He’s too slow on the PP, and he doesn’t have the gas in his own end, come end of the game. No ones fault, but will Gill already sticking around the team needs to go in the younger/faster direction.

7. Mattyleg says:

Shame that Hammer can’t stay, but we couldn’t really offer him anything else. Anyone who wants to be a Hab is good in my books. Good luck where you’re headed!

As for Wiz… come on July 1!! I’m tiiiiiired of hearing about him.

He’s not staying. He surely wants more money than we are willing to give him. We have 2 offensive D-men in PK and Marky, 2 two-way guys in Spacek (I know, but we’re stuck with him) and Yemelin and maybe Weber, and 2 shut-down guys in Gill and Gorges. Our D looks pretty well-balanced. Wiz’s d-zone liabilities are not something to look forward to.

• RobertAlanFord says:

As you are tiiiiired of the wiz thing i still have a hope that wont quit til he signs somewhere else, and I’m pretty sure that will be Detroit.

I think the scenario you gave is as accurate as it gets. Unless PG pulls a rabbit out of his desk thats probably the way its gonna stay.

• Mattyleg says:

Yeah, I hear ya. I’d love to see him stay too, but it’s just not going to happen, as there are a lot of teams in the league that are STARVING for an offensive Dman, and we are lucky enough to already have at least two, so we can’t justify shelling out big money for another one.

My buddy in Calgary says that the Flames have their sights set pretty solidly on him. ..not that that really means anything, of course…

• Mike D says:

Can Calgary even afford him though. They were really tight against the cap and although they moved Regehr, signing Tanguay ate up some of the space that created. Plus Calgary has Giordano so it’s not like they don’t have a Dman for the PP.

- Honestly yours

8. nunacanadien says:

The Hammer paid his dues here, he helped us get us where we needed to be and he was a good model for Gorges to follow, as he is a hard working defense. Too bad Hammer wasn’t a bit bigger or tougher. In a way its a shame to lose his work ethic, but all of his giveaways cost us games in the end when it mattered.

9. Bill H says:

For what its worth, Team 990 Tony Marinaro says Hamrlik turned down a 1 year deal with Canadiens. I can see going with a 1 year deal. Especially if PG is trying to unload Spacek’s contract. But if Hamrlik is looking for a multi-year deal, he needs to find it elsewhere.

10. Jordio-oh says:

According to Arpon Basu and David Pagnotta, Hamrlik has not accepted OR REFUSED the Habs offer.

Its still on the table, everyone.

11. nickster13 says:

I dont care what anyone says but, we better be resigning Wizniewski. He was and is exactly what we need, a guy with a little bit of grit, but also importantly a slapshot and a good offensive mentality. Sure we could use more forwards but a solid D core always wins in the end. I remember when we got him this year we instantly had another threat from the back end to score or put points up, and points dont lie. He is and was exactly what we need, because who knows if Markov will be the same player he was, and subban may have a mini sophomore slump(like many do..) so its better to have options, and the Wiz is a great option and was a great fit in a habs jersey as he proved this year. I will be extremely dissapointed if we dont resign him.

Nick “the hockey man” Ouellette

• TomNickle says:

You gonna pay him $5 million annually to be your #5 guy? Because he isn’t bumping Gorges, Markov, Gill or Subban out of those slots.

• nickster13 says:

he’s at least a number 3 guy, not a 5 guy. He is better than Gorges lets be honest here. Plus his offensive instincts are way better than Gill’s so i stand by #3 (or should i say 1C) defenceman after Markov and PK. plus look at vancouver this year, tons of good, payed-well defencemen and it almost won them the cup. Or philly the year before. Too bad both had sieves of a goalie. We have Price.

Nick “the hockey man” Ouellette

• TomNickle says:

He’s enough of a liability defensively that Gorges wouldn’t be giving up ice time to him.

I really like Wisniewski, and I think we need a bit more of his demeanor on the ice. But Gorges’ offensive game is underrated and Wisniewski’s defensive game has been overrated by some fans who see the sexy point totals and want him back.

With Markov and Subban in the lineup, Wisniewski isn’t needed. And certainly not at $5 million per season.

• Mattyleg says:

Comparing Wiz to Gorges or Gill is like comparing Richer to Carbonneau. One’s an offensive dman, the other’s defensive.
          Wiz is a special-teams player, and his lack of d-zone intelligence puts him down the order.
          I agree with #5.

• silversnake says:

You are crazy if you think Wiz would bump Gorges down in minutes. Yes Wiz brings more offense to the table and it is a nice attribute to have offensive talent as a defensman, but primary role of defense is to stop the puck from going in your own net and there’s no question Gorges does a better job of that then Wiz.

I’d love to keep Wiz, but not for the money he’s going to ask. Just like I would have loved to keep Souray, for about half of what he was asking.

• HardHabits says:

Wiz = worth 5 million, .9 points per game
          Gorges = worth 2.25 million, .5 points per game
          Wiz would be up the depth chart over Gorges on any NHL team.

• HardHabits says:

Gorges would be good on the last pairing and yes Wiz would be above him on the depth chart.

Gomer wants to stay in Mtl? How mighty kind of him to offer.

13. JayBee says:

As per Team990 – Hamr has refused the deal. GOOD!

14. TomNickle says:

Yannick Weber has posted 88 points in 148 games in Hamilton as a defenseman. He’s a +22 there as well.

He scored two goals in three games for the Habs in the playoffs.

He had a great start to the season when called up and faded quite a bit after around 15 games. Which is not unlike most players in their early twenties and has competed in the Olympics.

It’s time to give him an opportunity. He hasn’t been rushed, he hasn’t been overworked and he hasn’t burned out due to pressure and won’t have unrealistic expectations placed on his shoulders.

With Markov, Gorges, Subban and Gill able to log 20+ minutes/game it is the perfect time to bring Yemelin and Weber along in #5 and #6 roles with limited even strength ice time.

It’s easy to sign depth defensemen to sit in the pressbox. And even easier to call up Brendon Nash or Rafael Diaz from Hamilton.

• ed lopaz says:

I’ll take, “agree with you 1000%, Tom”, Alex.

Thanks for playing!

Thats the way its done.

I’m not saying that Weber and Yemelin are Chelios and Kurvers, but who knows??

I say Weber looks like a Stephane Robidas type player to me.

And when my buddy Tom says that Yemelin (or his evil twin, Emelin) is a bonafide nasty Russian, i say lets see HOW NASTY!!!

Hamrlik played like a Vegetarian Lasagna – no wonder Gauthier loved him!!

• TomNickle says:

You’re gonna love Yemelin Ed. He’ll just haul off and cross check a guy in the back of the neck. He really plays nasty.

Cal Clutterbuck coming at him at the WHC, he doesn’t care, he’s gonna step into him, even if he goes down too.

His size won’t intimidate anyone, and he probably won’t win many fights(even though he’ll drop the gloves), but he’s gonna bring what we need in front of our net.

• Hobie Hansen says:

I could live with that but wouldn’t object to signing another 5th/6th defenseman.

15. RobertAlanFord says:

So right now our d looks like this (in no particular order):
    Markov – Subban
    Gorges(?) – Gill
    Yemelin – Weber(?)
    Spacek

If the season started tomorrow then those bottom three would be rotating. Still feel the Habs need another dman in Wiz’s category. (?)’s are for rfas so their roster spot is probable but not confirmed.

• awesomerino says:

An extra Wiz-level defenseman would be nice (I’d actually like to see PG take a flier on Cam Barker), but I’d actually be quite comfortable with the corps you’ve listed. I think Yemelin will adapt well, and I think Weber will establish himself as a bonafide top 6 guy.

• RobertAlanFord says:

Hope Weber gets some PP chances. He’s got a wicked shot. Knowing JM he’d rather put Gill out there before him. His preference of veterans is sometimes his weakness.

16. joeybarrie says:

Fearless prediction…. Next season Hamr gets 45 points and is a plus 14 with the Lightning, helping them get to the Cup Finals….
    And then what will happen here???

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

When Montreal throws out all the extra & broken sticks and used pucks at seasons end, do they end up in Tampa as well?

• BeeGee says:

It’s not about individual players, it’s about the team you put on the ice. Hamrlik is a great complimentary player at this stage of his career but we already have Gill and Spacek for that role… Plus I suspect 2-3 years will be too much for any contender to commit to.

• joeybarrie says:

I absolutely do not want to offer him anything more than 1-2 years MAX, even 2 would make me sweat a bit. I was only kidding, cause OF COURSE as soon as they are gone they are incredible players again and will end up playing for MTL South…
        His play last season though does deserve a 2-3 years contract from someone… I hope he gets it. But i prefer if he signs here.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

• TomNickle says:

Joey. An average defenseman would have done better. And I saw your powerplay reference on the prior page. If you give me Wisniewski or Subban on the Powerplay I’ll score 20 points on the man advantage in my sleep.

He’s good on the walls. And below average everywhere else.

• ed lopaz says:

fearless prediction:

Tampa won’t sign Hamrlik for 2 years and 2.5 million per.

No one will.

• Bugs says:

Disagree.
        Other teams will offer 5mil/2yrs for The Hamr.
        He’s certainly worth it and if I was a gm in need of veteran reliability on the blue line, I would snap him up at that price in a heartbeat.

Gone figuratively fishin filibusts L. B. Potter, esq.

Yep, I agree with that.

• ed lopaz says:

“reliability” is a strange word to use.

you mean a guy who doesn’t make bad decisions, doesn’t give the puck away under pressure, doesn’t win a single battle in front of his own net, has never won a cup,

oh, that kind of reliability. I get it now.

the one that watched Horton score the goal that broke our backs in game 5 double OT, from 2 feet in front of our net.

that kind of reliability. I get it.

Hamrlik is done like dinner, Bugs.

Done and gone.

• Bugs says:

You’ve just described Shea Weber and him letting Teemu go free in Game 2 vs Ducks. Goal put the game outta reach.
            So according to your all-encompassing generalization and ONE example taken out of an obscure series game, not even a Game 7 all-on-the-line scenario for example, Shea Weber is done like dinner.
            “Because I saw him make one mistake, that means he makes bad decisions ALL THE TIME, gives the puck away under pressure ALL THE TIME, doesn’t win a single battle in front of his own net ALL THE TIME, and can never win a cup FOR ALL TIME. Yes. That’s how logic works.”
            Yyyeah, I think you’re done too, Ed.
            Cuz…ouch, man.

Gone figuratively fishin filibusts L. B. Potter, esq.

17. Malreg says:

It’ll be interesting to see how the Stamkos situation plays out.

If the Lightning can’t lock him up before Friday, will there be an offer sheet? Obviously Tampa would pretty much match anything, but what if a rich team (Toronto, NYR, Montreal?), signs him to a 10 year deal worth $85 million, but structured something like: $12.5m, $12.5m, $12.5m, $9m, $8m, $7m, $6m, $6m, $6m, $5.5m.

Tampa could afford the cap hit, but could they afford to pay him $12.5 million for the first 3 years? Keep in mind they are a budget team, they are not a cap team.

I hope it happens just so that there’s something to talk about other than where Brad Richards will sign…

• TomNickle says:

Nobody other than Tampa is getting Stamkos. Not happening.

Brian Burke has always stated he does not believe in the Offer Sheet to restricted free agents. Certainly he has been discussing trade options with Tampa. Will he finally break his own rule and make an offer?

If he does indeed make the offer, it will be great entertainment watching him justify how this instance is different and he is still a perfect man whose word is still his bond.

• mrhabby says:

Gotta believe Burke could not rationalize those dollars for stamkos and giving back all those pics to TB. i think burke will make a move as he is desperate for number 1 centre. he has to make a splash just not at that price.

• Trisomy 21 says:

$5.5m at 31 years old? that’s still in his prime. You can’t give a guy a front loaded contract like that when he’s 21

• Malreg says:

So you’re staying Stamkos wouldn’t sign that contract if it was offered to him by a team he likes? Sure, $5.5m will be underpaid at that time, but $12.5 million is overpaid for the first few years, it evens out.

18. TomNickle says:

Doesn’t look like Hamrlik will be back, cue the violins.

19. secretdragonfly says:

Not really on topic but in going through the list of UFA’s, I found it curious that San Jose has 3 former Leafs – Mayers, Wellwood and White (just an observation, do not want any of them).

20. BeeGee says:

Hamrlik refused habs proposition! WOOT!!!

@JFChaumont
    #Habs: Roman Hamrlik a refusé l’offre d’un an du Canadien. Il recherche un contrat de deux ou trois ans à Montréal ou ailleurs. Confirmé.

21. Bob_Sacamano says:

Weber and Webber:

It´s Yannick Weber and Shea Weber. If you like two “b” you should follow the F1 and Mark Webber. Thank you for your attention!

22. RobertAlanFord says:

if he thinks he’s gonna get a multi year contract at his age in the NHL he’s got another thing coming. Maybe he should try the KHL or Czech league instead.

23. Thurston says:

FYI to the HI/O folks – the link to the Globe & Mail article is incorrect. It takes you to the La Presse article on Hamrlik.

24. zaq007 says:

I can’t wait till July 1st to stop heairng all these Wiz comments

25. Ali says:

hammer passes on the Habs offer. Time for the Wiz?

Oh Captain my Captain…

Wouldn’t that be nice if tomorrow we awoke to Wiz accepts offer from PG. Given the limited UFA forwards available, given the teams propensity to work with what they have/know. An overstocked blueline with the likes of Markov, PK, Wiz, Gorges, Gill, Emelin, Weber, Spacek I could be really happy with.

26. TomNickle says:

Renaud Lavoie just tweeted that Hamrlik did not sign his contract this morning. Not sure if that’s a final nail in his Canadiens coffin or not.

But he won’t get more than a one year offer. If anybody would have, Gill would have.

Farewell Roman. Enjoy Tampa Bay.

• HalifaxHabs says:

you mean all the energy expended by the lunatics on here freaking out over the Hamrlik signing was all for naught???

LOL

• TomNickle says:

I wasn’t too thrilled about him getting an offer.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Signing Hamr would have been a step back.

• TomNickle says:

More like a quantum leap.

• ed lopaz says:

I rely on posts from ’72 and Tom to keep my sanity when it comes to Hamrlik.

I still say there is not 1 team in the NHL that will pay him 2.5 or 3.0 million to be their 5th or 6th d-man.

Give your heads a shake Gauthier and Martin.

Even SF ’09 posted that it was time to cut bait with the Hamr.

NEXT!!!!!!!

But there are quite a few teams that would love to have Yemelin or Weber at their Cap friendly hit around 1 million – to play 5th or 6th d-man minutes, and to develop them into future top 4.

• TomNickle says:

Come on Ed. We all know that Hamrlik’s performance over the last two years has been admirable. Haha. I love that evaluation. Admirable for Christ’s sake. Not good, not great, not up to expectation, admirable.

You or I could suit up and play and it would be admirable. It’s time to move from admirable to good or better.

• Chris says:

I felt that re-signing Hal Gill was a step back…I’d much rather have Hamrlik than Gill, who has only been useful for about 40% of the games over the last two seasons. Fortunately for him, most of that 40% was in both playoff runs.

But I do agree that it is time to move on from Hamrlik. They’ve got Markov, Gorges and Gill as veteran defencemen. Subban is a given for top-4 minutes.

I expect Yemelin to end up in the top-4 by season’s end (although he will start on the third pairing), as I think his KHL experience (playing against professionals) has been a more valuable experience than playing against 16-20 year olds in the CHL. Plenty of guys play decent minutes out of junior hockey, so I suspect that Yemelin can do it as well.

Spacek and Weber are perfectly adequate as a platoon for the 6th/7th defencemen slots. Re-signing Hamrlik likely means another season in the AHL for Weber or a year of playing on the 4th line and some spot-PP duty.

• TomNickle says:

Gill brings intangibles that Hamrlik doesn’t. When was the last time you saw Hamrlik sell out to make a game changing play like Gill did against the Canucks? When was the last time somebody publicly went to bat for Hamrlik and essentially gave the GM an ultimatum with regard to bringing him back like Gorges did with Gill?

Hamrlik makes far too many silly mistakes that get ignored yet are magnified when rookies make them.

When January comes around, he’s far more of a liability than he is an asset.

• Chris says:

Tom: Gill is the guy that is typically at the bottom of the Habs +/- stats, despite being their supposed defensive defenceman.

All the mistakes you see with Hamrlik, I see with Gill: he is slow, he is not particularly physical, he does not stick up for his teammates particularly well (is there a softer 6’7″, 241 pound player in the NHL) and he brings absolutely nothing offensively.

Gill has been absolutely heroic in the past two post-seasons. But that clutch play is not enough for me to overlook his numerous deficiencies through the long grind of an 82 game season.

End of the day, it is a moot point: Hamrlik is not coming back, Gill is and we’ll see how they do.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Good news there Tom!

27. kirkiswork says:

Rangers are buying out Drury, making him a UFA.

28. Mats Naslund says:

Anybody know of a resource that has up to date info on which RFAs in the league did not receive qualifying offers? Capgeek is my old faithful, but doesn’t have that info.

29. TommyB says:

On a side note…..Leaf fans are quite happy today. Three former Leafs inducted into the HOF. Never mind the fact that none of them ever actually won anything as a Leaf, and that two of the three became Leafs on the downside of their careers. Only Gilmour, it could be argued, had his best years as a Leaf. But hey, those Leaf fans feel like winners today. Three ex-Leafs in the Hall of Fame.

30. scrowe21 says:

Bring back SK!… Hahah… AK-Eller-SK. Yeah I said it. Have fun haters.

I wonder where Anthony Stewart will end up. He is probably not even on PGs radar.

• HardHabits says:

To bring in SK the Habs would need to hire Barry Trotz as head coach.

Bill 101. Slowly killing the greatest sports franchise since 1976.

• scrowe21 says:

Haha Yeah. He would never come back. Especially with JM around.. great prospect gone for nothing. I dunno if he matured much in Nashville or if it was the more ice time that helped him out, but either way he will mature eventually and be a great player somewhere. I know he was invisible in the playoffs, but he was a completely different player in the regular season. Going to the net constantly for rebounds, great vision on the pp… sigh.

• 24moreCups says:

I’d love to have Stewart on our team, but I won’t get my hopes up.

• BeeGee says:

+ 1 on getting Stewart, and sadly, on it not happening…

31. RS says:

Webber should be playing regularly (if not every game) and as a D. You don’t develop young D in the press box or by playing them as a forward.

Markov, Subban, Gorges, Gill, Hamrlik, Spacek, Yemelin, Webber: that’s one too many D to carry on the roster. Gill, Hamr, Spacek are all crafty veterans, but all 3 is too many.

• TommyB says:

I agree with you. That’s where the problem arises, having all three veterans (Hamrlik, Gill, Spacek) on the roster. Two of the three would be sufficient, IMO. Keeping in mind, we are assuming Gorges is retained. It doesn’t sound logical that Yemelin would play in Hamilton, and Webber has paid his dues in the minors. The numbers game comes into play.

How would you like to be a Dman, not listed here, coming to camp this fall? Can you say “not a chance in hell, buddy”?

• Hobie Hansen says:

Agreed 100%

• RobertAlanFord says:

Totally.

• 24moreCups says:

And JM loves to stick to his vets, so I don’t see how Weber is supposed to get any good experience and grow as a player.

32. krob1000 says:

Here is Strickland on Dagostini http://www.truehockey.com/articles/Michael-Ryder-to-Explore-Free-Agency

D’Ags….

There is no reason for Blues fans to get all worked up with the Matt D’Agostini situation. The guy has a very strong arbitration case and there’s a good chance he’d get north of $2 million as a reward. The Blues don’t want to pay that much. The sticking point in the negotiations was almost more about the term than the actual dollars. D’Agostini wants two years and the Blues were only offering one. If he was going to sign a one-year deal he wanted a salary closer to the $1.8-1.9 range. As of a few weeks ago the Blues were offering closer to $1.5. Now we will all sit back and see what his true value will be in free agency.

You can say all you want about the factors that contributed to the season D’Agostini had but at the end of the day the guy scored 20-plus goals in the NHL. The Blues, specifically Armstrong, knows this.

The team is not turning their back on this guy as the two sides will continue talking in hopes of getting a deal done. Obviously if a team gives D’Agostini what he’s looking for he’ll likely move on.

The Penguins did the same thing with Tyler Kennedy.

Would Blues fans have any interest in a Marty Reasoner or Jamie Langenbrunner?

More to come,
    Andy Strickland

• Mattyleg says:

“It appears Nashville was possibly late sending out their qualifying offers”

Yep, that sounds pretty definite to me.

If Nashville was ‘late’ then they meant to be late. It’s like saying “I just got your phone message now” as an excuse for missing something you had no interest in attending.

• TommyB says:

Agree with your take on “late”. Sounds about right to me.

• krob1000 says:

Here is the link from the 27th where the Nashville papers thought they made a qualifying offer to Sergei.

here is another link….could all be false but there have been rumours fopr a couple of days there was a screw up…look at the Nashville paper…and now this…kind of adds up…sounds like they are still trying to determine what happened. Sure looks more likely than Sergei just being dumped

I’m not sure.
          It seems to me like they didn’t want him on the team (He’s very very high maintenance for little payback, and he choked big-time in the playoffs) and Nashville didn’t want their 250 fans to think that they were dumping their top scorer.
          When they really were.

How can an NHL team ‘screw up’ a date for qualifying offers? It’s not like they have any other things to do except plan their lineups… And Chicago’s ‘example’ would make any team cautious about this sort of thing.

Sounds like smoke and mirrors to me.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

It was my understanding Carrie Underwood was singing the night before qo’s had to be in and the entire team and Mgmt was at the concert.

• krob1000 says:

now I really hope you aren’t seriously implying they “accidentally forgot” thereby allowing their top scorer to potentially earn more money elsewhere or walk are you…or are you just kind of kidding. Sergei would have definite trade value despite some HAbs fans hate for him. This is either a seriously flawed line of thought or you just messing around and me not getting the sarcasm through internet type.

@ Burl
            Ha!
            Well then I totally understand.
            Could happen to anyone, really!

• JayBee says:

@ Mattyleg

stop posting. Your hatred is clogging all rational thought.

• Mattyleg says:

I shan’t stop posting, but thanks for your suggestion.

And I have no hatred. None. I am happiness itself. I am as a feather floating lightly in the breeze. The drop of dew on the nose of the contented koala contemplating a eucalyptus leaf.

I don’t do name-calling, and I’m sorry to see that you’ve stooped to that because I disagreed with you. I’ve obviously put your nose out, and I’m sorry for hurting your feelings. I just don’t think those players are as good as people make them out to be.

Come, hold my hand.

33. joeybarrie says:

Good article by Pat Hickey. I don’t know how many people actually watched the games last season… By Hamr did pretty good. Similar to Gill his value is underrated and his experience is excellent. 3 million for a 6’2 220 lbs defender who averaged 30 points in the last 4 seasons is a good deal.
    Try to remember he had 4 points less than PK last season and was a plus 6 compared to PK’s -8.
    And I read somewhere that Hamr and Spach were one of the top shut down defense in the league during the regular season…
    Imagine how great Hamr can be having to only play 16 minutes a game. I think the ones who are bashing him should wake up and realize what he has done for this team in Markov’s absence and how integral he has been in the last 4 years. Measure that against our success in the last 4 years and for me I really hope he is in a Habs uniform next season.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

34. BeeGee says:

PG is a vegan who’s kids attend some alternative school in Vermont.

I wonder how this affects his personal relationships with the average GM in this redneck bush league… I mean, who would want to be fleeced in a trade by a vegan?

I’m pretty sure no GM calls him ‘buddy’ or would ever do him a favor…

Also, being a vegan, I would assume that he is of the non-violent ideology. That would explain the pussy ass team he seems to want to put on the ice. His repeated refusal in addressing the size and intimidation factor is really starting to piss me off. Speed and skill my ass! Your team isn’t scoring, it ain’t working!!

I have no problem with any of the signed or qualified players, or Hamrlik for that matter, but the sum of all the parts equates to a team that doesn’t have any answers to what happens on the rink in the so called ‘New NHL’…

On top of that, the organisation wide acceptance of mediocrity enrages me. Tank or go for broke. Stop with the cautious middle of the pack approach. This is the habs for suck fakes!

• TomNickle says:

This teams success was built on the philosophy that tanking is not an option.

• BeeGee says:

I needed to let out a bit of steam I guess.. I agree with that in fact. I hate that teams like PIT or WAS were built on failure. But DET never tanked and are constantly aiming for the top. We’ve been mediocre since the mid nineties…

• G-Man says:

So, like, you take after the “you are what you eat” doctrine?

• BeeGee says:

For the record, my wife is a vegetarian… I’m just saying 2 things.. to me PG seems like a total outsider in the good ol’ boys of NHL GM’s. And I think his vision of modern hockey doesn’t work with what’s actually happening… I mean, the bruins won the cup!

• joeybarrie says:

I don’t understand the level of stupidity that this site sometimes reaches. In the last two years the Habs have done well. First making the Conf Finals and this year making their way up the table and only losing in Game 7 overtime to the eventual Cup winners. We have done this with Major injuries. Let me ENLIGHTEN you on something. With Markov, Gorges and MaxPac in the lineup, we would have beaten the Bruins in the first round.
      This team is not accepting mediocrity, and the addition of Wiz proves it. A 27 year old defenseman with 50+ points in the season, looking on the other side, we would be drooling to have been a part of that.
      Tank or go for broke……. Dumbest ideas ever. Look at Isles, Edm, Col, Nashville, Toronto and Florida… What INCREDIBLE future lies with them? PK Subban, Carey Price, Markov, Pleks, Gorges, Cammalleri…. Some of the best players in their position in the league.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

• BeeGee says:

First of all, I don’t think you have to be condescending or insult my intelligence to get your point across. Secondly the habs are a middle of the pack team as it stands and there are no guarantees those players would have led them past the bruins, let alone to the finals… I want the habs to aim for dominance. Sure you can get by with a ‘good enough’ team, but I want them to be consistently in the league’s top 5. I’m not talking about blowing up the team either, but recognizing the needs that are there and addressing them.

• HardHabits says:

Of course. Why not insult somebody because they’re frustrated.

I don’t understand the level of optimism, which I wont call stupid, considering that the Habs have one top 10 finish in almost 2 decades and only started round 1 at home once in that span. The Habs are a perennial middle of the pack team.

News flash. Only top 10 teams have won the Cup since 1994.

The only teams outside the top five were the 1995 Devils at 9th (shortened year), the Penguins at 8th (who werew 3rd the year before) and the Bruins, who in sense were really tied for 2nd with 7 other teams as they were separated by all of 4 points between 2nd and 8th.

Go for broke? The Habs always go for broke. I was in favour of the Habs picking up Wisniewski last season and am on record for saying it well before he was traded for. However the Habs must sign him. If they don’t it’s a lost 2nd pick.

As for tanking. Pittsburgh and Chicago are examples of tanking as successful strategy. However, Boston and Philadelphia have proven that tanking is not necessary as they both have turned former high picks into even better higher picks.

If you ask me the Habs should build up Price and Subban and then trade them for a boat load of prospects and picks when their value is highest. Also throw in Cammy, Gio and Plex in the bunch and reboot.

It’s not like the Habs already didn’t completely remake the team once already.

The difference is that next time the Habs can actually have a few blue chip prospects in the pipes.

Raymond Bourque couldn’t win a Cup all on his own. Neither can Price and Subban.

The bottom line is this. If a person laments or bitches, the answer is not to call the person stupid or tell him to go cheer for another team. Provide an argument that counters the person’s theory if you can. Otherwise you are just proving his point.

It used to be that fans rioted when they won the Cup. Now they riot when they win a series. What’s next? Rioting because we lost game 7 in OT to the eventual Cup champions!!!!

That’s what being a Habs fan is now. We celebrate failure and dress it up in a pretty little “what if” dress and shower it with couldas, shouldas and wouldas. Pathetic.

• t1tan5 says:

Sigh…I don’t understand how you call letting Wiz go “losing” a 2nd round pick. We did get him for a good part of LAST season and he contributed greatly to the team. That is what cost us a 2nd round pick. If all GM’s thought getting a UFA-to-be mid-season is a waste, then the rent-a-player would not exist.

I also don’t understand why you would trade ALL those players. Why would you trade two young blue-chippers (Price and Subban) that you know are going to make it for younger prospects that you are not quite as certain about? That makes absolutely no sense. Then trade Cammy, Gionta, and Plex. These are three guys we only recently signed to contracts. In the case of Plex, it has only been one year. We have enough trouble as it is attracting big name UFA’s. How much less enticing would MTL be if players knew that the GM could trade you at a moment’s notice for no reason besides tanking?

I didn’t see anyone celebrating the OT loss to the Bruins this year. All it means is that we’re getting closer. We played better in this year’s playoffs than last year, despite the earlier exit. Can you not see that? In 2010, we rode a hot goalie and lucky bounces all the way to the conference finals. This year, we played as a unit and performed quite admirably. Without some of the major (and I mean MAJOR) injures we had, we would have beaten the Bruins hands-down. After that, who knows? But to say that we are celebrating failure is hyperbole at best.

• HabFanSince72 says:

“who would want to be fleeced in a trade by a vegan? ”

Who wants to be fleeced by a carnivore?

• BeeGee says:

hehehe… no one wants to be fleeced of course, but it must hurt just a little more when you’re done in by Mr. Gauthier, the outsider…

Wonder if he ever made a steal of a trade?

How good, or should I say bad, will Gomez be this season?

The cat’s out of the bag that he’s being shopped around. If he has a great season he’ll be even more trade-worthy. If he doesn’t want to get traded he wont want to have a good year. The better the year the more trade worthy he becomes. He could always have a break-out year and score 82 points and then the Habs would have to keep him. Hahahaha. Yeah that’ll happen.

• RobertAlanFord says:

I think if Gomez, Gio, and Max stay as a trio then his numbers will rise. This would spread the offensive talent out and take some pressure off of the other scoring line (cam, plek, AK.). I dont know if his points will be much higher but i think we’d see his+/- improve.

• tobbs says:

What does it matter? Per your previous post the team is already set to fail because they offered Hammer a contract.

• RobertAlanFord says:

Where did I use the word fail?. Do NOT twist my words! Got it ?!! I said i’d feel more comfortable and confident having wiz signed than Hamrlik. And that as an opposing team i’d feel a bit more threatened by that one small difference. That’s all. If i had it my way Hamr would be 6th d, SpaceCheck would be taping up sticks and Wiz would be to Markov’s right at all times.

36. Mattyleg says:

So it’s been mentioned below, but I’d just like to post this as a heads-up to all the geniuses who were banging on about how stupid PG was to let some of our ‘amazing’ talent go…

SK, D’Ags, and Chipper are all back on the market.
    Like that second-third-fourth-hand car that seems to run okay, but has that strange smell that you just can’t get rid of…

So to those of you who thought that PG was a fool for giving those players away, (and you know who you are) I’d like your opinion:

Should PG rush off and sign these budding gems? Because he’d be a fool not to, right?

• Trisomy 21 says:

YES! then plan the parade!
      JK. SK had to go. Chip was a bust and D’ag didn’t get too much of a chance, but what I did see of him I didn’t think he would become a top 6 guy. Watch SK, he will be a ghost this year, as he was in the playoffs for NSH

• JayBee says:

I don’t think anyone’s crying about Chipper or even Dagostini. Dagostini still scored 20 goals so the talent is there. Sergei was Nashville’s top scorer. Are you telling me the return the Habs got for him was sufficient?

Considering he is now available for nothing off anyone’s roster, YES.

• JayBee says:

SK is a free agent cuz Nashville screwed up his qualilfying offer. Dags is a FA because he wanted too much money….similar to Tyler Kennedy.

The only guy who was discarded cuz he was crapola was Chipchura and no one ever cried over losing him.

I was not aware that is how he became UFA.

• Mattyleg says:

How on Earth could you know that Nashville ‘screwed up’ his qualifying offer, and not that SK wanted tons more money than he’s actually worth?!

Dags is an amazing player, according to many people on here. Surely he deserves an amazing contract.

You’ve hit it on the head, though. These players are not as good as many people (and themselves, it seems) think they are. The people who have good insight and judgement (coaches and GMs) see them for what they are: a bit of an upgrade on a bag of pucks and a Timmy’s breakfast.

• JayBee says:

Mattyleg.

Give your head a shake. You really think they’d let their best player go? He’s restricted, you don’t think they would have qualified him and then traded him if he was asking for too much money? Jeez, you’re not the sharpest tool in the shed.

NHL are investigating Nashville for missing qualifying offers for several players including Sergei. It’s the exact same thing as the Blackhawks situation a couple years back.

Both him and D’Ags scored 20+ goals last year. I have no idea wtf you’re puffing your chest out.

• Mattyleg says:

People WERE crying about D’Ags.
        Every time he scored, there were people on here gnashing their teeth and rending their skin.
        And the only thing that SK being top scorer at Nashville means is that the Pred’s problems are deep and severe.
        Nashville isn’t getting anything for him, so perhaps he wasn’t really worth much in the first place. I was just happy to see him gone.

• HalifaxHabs says:

it might not be sufficient when you look at his production last season (and that’s debatable considering how much his play dropped off in the playoffs SUPRISE)… but in the real world, it’s about where he was when we moved him, not where he is now.

when we moved him, his value was in the toilet and he wasn’t under contract. we moved and RFA for and RFA.

I know you’re big on that move being a huge mistake, but I couldn’t disagree with you more.

I guess we’ll see how much value SK has come July 1st.

• krob1000 says:

Sergei would have been our second leading scorer, Dags 1 point from it with less than 15 minutes a game…they will get picked up somewhere and thrive again….give it up we gave up on them too early.

People say it sure is great we never signed Briere..lol look at his playoff stats. We traded Gui for POuliot how is that going? what about Gomez and Pyatt (who will not thrive anywhere) for Mcdonaugh who is looking real good, Saku had the same year as Gomez at a fraction of the price, Chipchura? yeah good dumping there IMO. O’Byrne…doing just fine, Lapierre? doig just fine, Ryder? almost single handedly elimintaed us a couple years back has a cup ring and chipped in more than his fair share. Colour it how you wish but there were far more negative moves than positive ones. It is not always on management the player or the system/coach and is usually a combination but more often than not we appear to give up on guys very young. I actaully liked the Halak move fromt he get go and think PG did fien, actually I like PG’s body of work more than the tail end of Gainey’s….but let’s be realistic…we could have used any of those gusy I mentioned above last year …any of them. We had great depth in our organization because despite popular belief we have a great drafting and nurturing system….the problem is once they are ready we have no place for them as we have 5 of our top six spots already accounted for always and veered froma three scoring line to a two and these guys did not really get a fair shake and were probably moved in many cases as favours aside from Sergei.

Heh heh.
        You’ve destroyed your own arguments! It’s completely circular logic!

SK only got points in Nash because they didn’t have anyone else!! He was their only scorer! Thank GOD we’re not in that boat! He wouldn’t get as many minutes anywhere else in the league with half a team! Much like Grabovski. Put him on a team with a decent first-line, and he’s finished!

Same story with D’Ags.

Gui for Pouli? How’s that going, you ask? At least we got a season out of Poupou, while Guimauve sat on his bloated, overfed butt nursing his groin that he strained by turning up to training camp looking like the Michelin Man with breasts. How’s that going for Min?

As for the others, I’m not going to qualify them with answers. If you really think that keeping them (Saku, Ryder, Lapierre) would have us in a better position now, then you’ve got some serious perspective problems.

• krob1000 says:

check out the links at the top of this thread now…
          How is it our great players palying with other great players could not outscore lil ol Sk and Dagsotini? or are you saying all of our top line players suck is that what you are implying? Grabovski is doing qutie fine too…thanks I forgot him. Maybe you are saying we have so many scorers there aren’t enough points to go around lol…yeah my perspective must be messed up…sure bud…I would love to be able to see from your perspective but I didn;t see many goals coming from anywhere.

• Mattyleg says:

…and we didn’t see any coming from SK, Grabs, or D’Ags when they were here.

And as for the first two, what we DID see was massive attitude problems that were bad for the room. Have a look at SK’s early season in Nashville. The kid’s a primadonna.

• joeybarrie says:

I was in Nashville last week. I went into the Arena’s official Preds store, and there were 3 SK jerseys in the entire place. Available only in kids medium. No adult sizes, no t shirts, nothing. There were lots of posters of players on the wall, none of SK. It was like he was not even part of the team. To be honest i didnt think anything of it, since it was Nashville, and they had merchandise from other teams in the place….. However, now that you mention it, what makes you say SK is back on the market?
      There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

37. RobertAlanFord says:

Does anyone know if the Habs have even spoken to Wiz?

• Kooch7800 says:

With PG you never know. He keeps things close the chest

• RobertAlanFord says:

Just that, personally, i feel that he’s the last big piece of the jigsaw. IF he’s signed the other bits and pieces are aplenty come July 1st. With him on the blue line its one more thing for the opposition to worry about. With the current Dmen signed or rfa……… theres two that pose a threat and the others …… rather put a fourth forward on the point.

38. TomNickle says:

Don’t know if anyone else posted it but the Habs, Wings and Pens all made a one year offer around $2 million to Jagr.

Guess Tony Marinaro won’t be puffing out his chest and singing his own praises if Jagr signs with us on Friday will he?

• Kooch7800 says:

I posted it about a half hour ago but I think you and I are the only ones who care lol.

If we could get Jagr for 2 mill for a one year deal I am all for it

• TomNickle says:

It’s better than just staying the course. If he did get similar offers and Mario hasn’t changed his mind in the last 10 days. I know that he’ll sign here.

• Kooch7800 says:

I hope so. We really need some help up front and there is not
          much out there at the moment.

• JayBee says:

I think it’s an easy decision….

Pittsburgh: Stanley Cup Contenders. Get to play with Malkin and/or Crosby. Familiarity with organization, city and fans.

Detroit: Stanley Cup Contenders. Get to play with Datsyuk and Zetterberg..and Lidstrom

Montreal: Could possibly miss the playoffs. Get to play with your buddy Pleks. Nice city. Will unfortunately have to play in Martin’s defense first system.

Personally, I think Pitt and Detroit are the better options….Montreal is the worst.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Pittsburgh: no casino

Detroit: casino in nearby Windsor.

Montreal: casino in Montreal.

• RobertAlanFord says:

Posted it late last night, only about Pittsburgh though. I’m just happy that he’s not coming here and we can stop raising the subject here at HIO. Got really sick of it really fast. We would invite a young undrafted scoring talent to training camp before signing him…………oh wait……

• TomNickle says:

Montreal offered him a contract. He hasn’t made a choice yet.

• RobertAlanFord says:

I heard his agent saying that Montreal was no longer an option. That was about a week ago.

• ed lopaz says:

where are you getting this from, Tom? The report is that the Pens alone offered him the 1 year.

By the way, not sure if it has been posted here, but Kopecky has agreed to a contract with Florida- according to an interview I saw last night with Talon on The Hockey Network.

• TomNickle says:

Dave Pagnotta via twitter last night, he has a very close connection to the organization too.

• Sharks9 says:

2 million for Jagr is a fantastic deal, I would go up to 3 if we had to. He’ll definitely be able to give our offense a needed boost.

25 before 14

I would be very happy with that provided our 3rd/4th lines size/grit was addressed. If not, having another talented player will only help our PP and not much else. We need our 3rd and 4th lines to wear down other teams D and to pot more goals than previous seasons. The pyatt decision is a good decision, he is a wonderful character tries hard, but cannot wear down other teams nor does he have any finish.

39. onlychineseguy says:

In an ideal world, the Habs would trade away Spacek and keep Hamrlik around, although this is probably wishful thinking. The Hammer has played very well these last four years, however at some point it is time to move on. We need younger and fresher legs on our blue line.

40. arcosenate says:

Matt D’Agostini is an unrestricted free agent.

Just saying.

• Kooch7800 says:

He had 21 goals in St. louis last year. I he should get a hefty raise as the UFA crop this year is bleak

• Gindan69 says:

So is Kyle Chipchura. And Sergie Kostistyn. Proof that stats mean alot less then the whole package. There is a reason all these guys end up as journeymen. Garaunteed gimauve will also be unqualified next season after he pulls his groin in training camp again.

• krob1000 says:

He got 46 points playing under 15 minutes a game, would have been second on our club and is likely due a very significant raise and maybe St Louis did not expect that and may not have money aside for him. There are still rumblings he may end up back in St. Louis depending on money but given the Kopecky interest, Laich signing and Andrei K signings he is likely actually probably a 3 million dollar player if they went to arbitration. It was one good year out of nowhere and St. Louis likely has cold feet…..someone will roll the dice and Dagostini will be just fine. Sergei had a great season….and will find a home too if he doesn’t bolt to the KHL for a ton of money. Sergei would have been our second leading socrer…yeah he sucks…and guess what? Nashville’s offense is one of the only systems around as or more restricted by defesnive emphasis than ours is. Whether people want to admit it or not they are both turning out fine…like Higgins, Ryder and Lapierre and MCdonaugh. Pyatt is gone, Mcdonaugh is flourishing and Gomez is a disaster…jsut as was said prior.

41. eric says:

Will PG trade negotiation rights to Wiz and get a draft pick in return like Gilles did Erhoff? Let’s see what kind of GM PG is eh

If PG is offering Hamrlik a 1 year it’s because they know next year is not the year. Signing Hamrlik = we admit we are not a Cup contender.

It’s that simple. If the Habs are going to sign Hamrlik it’s like they are tanking without getting the draft pick.

Hamrlik thinking at his age that he can get anything other than 1 year contract is another sign that the Habs are going nowhere fast. Hamrlik is obviously deluded. He’s like a drunk guy who thinks he can dance. The alcohol has distorted the drunk dancer’s perception as much as taking that hit from Kelly has distorted Hammer’s.

So that’s it. The mere fact that PG is offering Hamrlik a deal is proof that Habs have thrown in the towel for next season and the team will be just going through the motions.

If the Habs are going to throw away a season like that then the least they can do is finish in the draft lottery.

• tobbs says:

LOL, guess you wont even have to bother watching next year

• Willy says:

Do you even enjoy the Habs or is this just a chance to bitch in front of a full crowd? It’s getting so old reading the same day in and day out from you bud. Half the time i just skip the post but when i do read them ever single one is the exact same. Maybe lighten up and enjoy the NHL for what it is, entertainment and a game.

Ha ha ha!
      :D

• shiram says:

Hamr is not as bad as people make him out to be, and that’s with admitting he slows down as the season wears on.
      But if he would be brought in as a 6-7th D, he would be great!
      Issue with that is we already have 5-6-7th D signed.
      So I like what Hamr can bring to a hockey team, but our D situation is too congested to accept him and Spacek.

• TomNickle says:

Tell me Kreskin, what will Gauthier be thinking next week?

• bwoar says:

*You* are like a drunk guy who thinks he can dance. Keeps trying the same move over and over, falls a bunch, gets up and tries a subtly different one but can’t seem to shake the urge to keep trying the first one. And so keeps jerking about spasmodically without realizing his friends are laughing at him and taking pictures.

• SnowManHabs85 says:

Wrong board dude, I think you mistaken the site for a Leaf site.:P

“Responding to the media , or playing to the media, or listening to the fans is the quickest way to start losing” – Sam Pollock

• Propwash says:

Wow eh? Who woulda thunk it that the Habs’ success or failure depends on one Roman Hamrlik……. That simple…..

• ed lopaz says:

HH – your conclusion is a little flawed, if you don’t mind me saying.

What you don’t consider is that Gauthier and Martin actually like the way Hamrlik plays – no, that’s not strong enough – LOVE the way he plays.

Martin wants him back – and Martin does want to win the Cup, because outside of a Memorial Cup that he won in the 80′s, Martin has not won too much in this lifetime.

So, although I totally agree with you and I appreciate your sense of aggravation about bringing Hamrlik for yet ANOTHER season,

your conclusion is not quite correct.

the correct conclusion would be something like the following:

Since Martin and Gauthier LOVE the way Hamrlik plays hockey, they truly believe that Hamrlik can help the Habs make the playoffs and “compete”.

Therefore, they are willing to spend 2.5 or 3.0 million of precious cap space on him.

2.5 or 3.0 on a guy that even Hickey admits is a #5 or #6???

I guess that makes sense to a lot of people here, but from where I stand the Habs would be way better off actually concentrating on SCORING SOME FREAKIN GOALS!

Where is the offense 5 on 5 going to come from??

• G-Man says:

Rex Murphy doing Cross-Check between periods -see JohnnyBellyful post below- is the funniest post of the day. This one is a close second.

• t1tan5 says:

We offer a veteran d-man a one year contract, therefore we are tanking and are counting ourselves out of the Stanley Cup race. That’s one HUGE leap in logic, my friend.

• HardHabits says:

I wish we were tanking. It’s worse. It’s another repeat of the last two years.

A team that wins a game, then loses a game. A team that goes on a little win streak then goes on a little losing streak. A team teetering around .500 all year, a team that will have a hard time scoring goals, a team that will spend a lot of energy trying to prevent goals and in the process either gets injuries or penalties.

The Habs need to address their size and toughness issue. They have character and grit in many components, but generally those components lack either the size or the weight to back it up. Signing Hamrlik doesn’t address this issue. Hamrlik 10 years ago yes, Hamrlik today no. Hamrlik has size and was able to lay out a decent check in his day but he’s older and slower now and as we saw last play-offs is on the receiving end of hits more often than on the delivering end.

Signing Hamrlik doesn’t alter the Habs area where they are weak. Worse it exacerbates it.

Therefore it is my opinion that signing him to a 1 year deal is a stop gap signing and is an indication that the Habs management doesn’t see this year as being the year.

This year IMO should be about the learning curve for the younger players and if that is the case it is a better idea to give the younger players more ice time or better yet sign a younger D-man that is either more explosive offensively or physically.

Not doing so and falling back on Hamrlik is an admission that the Habs have estimated their chances of going all the way as slim.

—————-

OKAY. I am saying this with a heavy dose of sarcasm. I laugh at the things I write. There is no anger there. A bit of frustration with Habs management yes but I understand their conundrum. I am not the only one to point out that their history impedes them to certain degree.

Take it for what it’s worth. You people take me way more seriously than I do.

43. PeterStone says:

a little guesswork on my part, but I have to assume that PG is still negotiating with Wiz. Clearly he is going to be highly sought after come July 1st. So, the fact that his negotiating rights havent been moved only makes sense under the pretense that they are still yapping.

Markov, Gill, PK, Gorges, Spacek, Emelin, Weber, Hamrlik and Wiz?

• PeterStone says:

thats alot of bodies, granted, but, i would then assume they would make a trade of some sort. This is where it becomes wishful thinking, but trading Spacek is feasible, especially considering the $ being spent on FA DMen. Of course if thats not the case, then I would hope PG moves those rights. I cant believe no one has asked ?

44. patches67 says:

I think most people on here underestimate Hamr’s contribution to this team. Not only is he a smart veteran and part of the core of leaders, he has been our most trusted D-man over the last 4 years. Let me expand on that – twice he was our second best points for a defenseman and twice 3rd best. Not to mention he has only missed about 15 games over the last for years. I would argue if it wasn’t for Hamr the last 2 seasons we wouldn’t have seen the playoffs. Now don’t get me wrong he is not worth anywhere close to 5 million a season but at a reasonable salary (3M), with just under 20 minutes per game average he will be very valuable this year.

It confuses me how most on here would throw this guy out with the bathwater. I thought Habs fans were knowledgeable hockey fans but apparently not.

• shiram says:

Issue with Hamr is not so much that he is a bad D, but that he would be the third “old” D we have, and he did slow down.
      And the end of season/ PO have him look tired.
      I’d have no problems with him coming back, if Spacek was not already inked in.
      D could be, Markov/Yemelin/Subban/Gill/Hamr/Gorges/Weber.
      But if you ink in Hamr, with Spacek still on, it removes a spot for either Yemelin or Weber, and I’d like both to get significant ice time.

• Kooch7800 says:

I think it is the what have you done for me lately syndrome.

Hammer was one of our saving graces last year with the injuries. He was tired but that was because of so many minues during the season. I am fine with him but would like to see Spacek moved.

I don’t like Spacek’s style and really lack of speed. I would rather have Mara in there

45. tbovs says:

The best asset is the one you know and can expect results. Unfortunately this isn’t EA sports and you can’t just sign and or trade whoever for whoever…there is politcs and loyalties in signing ufas and what have you. Hammer is an asset you know and can help with the “mentoring” of your youth….which is an important factor.

We barely had this defence together last year…I think PG wants a full year with these guys together and he feels that they can pull their weight. I think in one more year things might be different if the d stays healthy and some havea bad year it will be the catalyst but they need to see how they all perform first.

I think a healthy defence with subban gorges and markov eating your mins and spacek and hammer playing under 20 mins … i think thats a great D. A few GMs would love that on their backend. So we will have to weight to see how well they do but PG didn’t make a mistake with Hammer.

Safe to assume Pittsburgh is not offering Kovalev a contract? Will anyone sign our friend Alex?

47. Kooch7800 says:

According to twitter from The fourth period, the pens, red wings and canadiens have all offered Jagr a contract for one year in the area of 2 mill

48. krob1000 says:

Not saying this is going to happen…but imagine it did….it may be a year late and all but…
    what if the team planned on dressing 2 of the 3 old guys on a given night and actually rested them here and there. Would it be so bad then? It won’t happen but it would make things easier to accept and would probably actually pay some dividends on the ice IMO. If we got 50-60 games out of hammer, Spacek and Gill each and the yougner guys like Emelin and/or Weber (if he is still in the plans) were in the lineup as often as possible assuming their play warrants it everything would be just fine.

49. SeriousFan09 says:

Dale Tallon is being ‘proactive’ he has signed Kopecky to a 3m per year contract over the next 4 years. I hope PG ‘stands pat’ on July 1st if this is the going rate…

50. JayBee says:

Gauthier is offering Hamr a contract because:

a) He can’t sign Wiz and doesn’t expect to be able to sign a FA D-man
    b) He doesn’t expect to work out a trade to find a D-man.

Clearly, Gauthier will be going with last year’s defensive core and will be focussing on upgrading the forwards.

We’ll see if he’s successful.

51. 44har48 says:

I really do not even know what to say about this…I am begining to think Pat Hickey is a pot head…or suffering from dimentia. Talent wins at this level, period. I thought we had an oportunity to change and improve our D this year while we use salary cap increases to get much needed 5 on 5 scoring. WTF is this signing all these ancient pylons back on D so they can “mentor” our youth…here’s a concept…get a friggan Defensive coach, a real coach who has played in the past to do that work and free up roster spots for talent.

Has there not been any good defensemen who have played for Montreal in years past that can help?

52. Chris F says:

Why no news on Gorges? Is he going to wait until September like he did with Price?
    Like I Posted earlier, I agree that it’s time to let Hammer walk. He filled in great for Souray, (that is who he replaced) especially since Markov missed so much time. But, you have to think that ice time would be better served given to a young guy. The only way this makes sense is if Spacek is going to be traded, or worse…..they can’t come to an agreement with Gorges.
    It would be interesting to see what the offer was worth. That would really answer some questions. Anything more than what Gill got would be crazy. I would think he matched Gill’s number at minimum.
    One of the reasons we lost last year was our D were tired, and therefore slow. A 36 year old just doesn’t have the legs of a 26 year old. Period.
    Sign Anthony Stewart, and a player who can score in the top six.
    Done and done.

• HalifaxHabs says:

Gorges was already qualified, which means he’s ours. Unless someone wants to sign him to big offer sheet, which would mean we would get 1st round picks in return, so that won’t happen.

They can work out a long-term deal later in the summer, when there isn’t 50 million other things going on (trades, draft, free agency).

In short – there’s no benefit to PG to spending his time right now on working out an extension with Gorges. When he could be working on trades & UFA’s.

53. Un Canadien errant says:

Another note of dissension aimed at Mr. Hickey. While mentorship from the player group is important, it only goes so far. When you’re a young guy, you shut your mouth and listen to the vets, but after a while that gets old for both sides.

The defenceman need a D coach. Not a coach who happens to coach them, but a former defenceman who’s been there and can impart wisdom and support, but also sometimes bring down the hammer, without it always being Skillsy having to do it on PK.

I vote for Larry or Guy Lapointe, who is now a scout for the Wild. Let’s bring him back in the fold. He looks good in bleu, blanc, rouge.

———————————
    Let’s do something like this again: 1) Mike Cammalleri 2) Brian Gionta 3) Hall Gill

54. joewindsor habfan says:

i have no issue signing the hammer at a reduce fee, he played quite admirably last season considering all the drama on defence. however, if a trade can be made unloading Spacek even for a low draft pick please do it! I do have an issue inserting Webber on the wing! Stop experimenting w/ an undersized, under utilized defencemen, forward, utility man!?! what you need is an experienced winger playing wing. Stop this nonsense!

55. rogieshan says:

Signing Hamrlik may allow Gauthier to include one of his young defensemen in a package to move Gomez. It may even be possible that Gorges is in play, thus allowing the GM to pursue Brad Richards.

I put that pipedream out there yesterday and as I suspected, it is apparantly to quote Mr. George Bush “not gonna happen”

• G-Man says:

Brad Richards isn’t that good. He will be way overpaid for what he’ll bring.

• Un Canadien errant says:

You’re half right. He is that good, and he will be overpaid.

———————————

• G-Man says:

He is -62 during his “that good” career.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Plus minus is not a necessarily useful way to evaluate players.

I stand by my evaluation, Richards is really, really good, a pure centre who passes well, can finish, go against the opposition top line, and brigs leadership and credibility. He is loved by his teammates wherever he plays.

Which is why he will be overpaid on July 1. No other UFA comes close to his value, so he will be massively overvalued.

———————————

During his teams successful years he was a clearly plus player. His early Tampa teams were lacking any depth and had Steve Ludzik coaching. These recent Dallas teams are not a good team.

However, all said, Dale Hawerchuk was a great center who is a career minus player, they now need to remove him from the Hall of Fame.

Really hope PG has a line in the water getting nibbles with Spacek going somewhere else, only possible explanation for offering Hamrlik contract.

Really hope PG has tried to trade Wiz’s rights, if not is it possible diabolical plan where he moves Spacek and Webber and actually is going to sign Wiz?

Please tell me he will at least entertain conversations with the agents for the following players.

Anthony Stewart, Ville Leino, Joel Ward, Zenon Konopka, Scottie Upsahll.

I am not saying sign them at crazy costs, but at least find out WHAT it would cost.

P.S. Read the threads from last night, very happy Pierre McGuire is gone, unfortunately he apparantly did indeed work out a deal where he gets to name every junior players hometown and what outdoor summer festival that town is famous for during the world juniors.
    Also have always believed Bob Cole to be a huge Leaf fan. Cole loved the Leafs and Danny loved our Habs. Now Bobby is left trying to remember names. Too bad, CBC has done him no favours keeping him around this long.

57. Bob_Sacamano says:

If we can get rid of Spacek, yes to Hamrlik. Otherwise no! We all know JM. Sooner or later he would find a way to play the three old (and slow) men Gill, Spacek and Hamrlik while keeping Yemelin and Weber out of the lineup.

58. RiverviewCanadien says:

Come on, at least offer a 1 year deal to Jagr PG!

Think of the magic that Jagr-Pleks-Camms could make

59. JohnBellyful says:

CBC announced today it’s replacing Hockey Night in Canada’s 78-year-old play-by-play announcer Bob Cole with another iconic Newfoundlander, Rex Murphy, 64.
    “We wanted to get younger in order to connect to the next generation of Hockey Night in Canada viewers,” said CBC spokesman Wellington Anook.
    “We’ve also taken to heart criticism that the broadcasts have become dumbed down. Surveys show HNIC fans grudgingly accept Ron MacLean and Don Cherry but they were vehement in saying the corporation crossed the line by hiring Mike Milbury and PJ Stock. CBC acknowledges it made a mistake and has bought out their contracts. Their segment will be taken over by Rex who has agreed to host Cross-Country Checkup during the second period. We’re calling it Cross-Check. The prized time slot will give fans across Canada a chance to offer their observations on the game as well as comment on issues of the day in hockey.”
    Anook said Murphy’s erudition and profound insights will lift CBC’s hockey coverage to a level it hasn’t seen since Danny Gallivan. “He’s Danny with a bit more bite,” he said. “And a lot more syllables.”
    A clip of Murphy’s audition video with Cole’s color man, Garry Galley, can be seen on YouTube:

“Good evening, aficionados of Canada’s favourite spot: excoriating the Liberals. Said in jest, mes amis. Sometimes I let my wit get the better of me. I won’t waste your time by stating the obvious, that the hockey and political arenas are two different forums, but there are parallels to be drawn that I think say something about this country’s fraying character and Western society’s descent into a miasma of moral decay. Nowhere is that decline more apparent than in the disgrace that passes for political discourse these days, where petty partisanship and insipid exchanges over picayune matters–“
    “Excuse me, Rex – Mr. Murphy – sorry for interrupting but I just want to give the name of the player who just set a record for the fastest goal at the start of a game–“
    “Mr. Galley, I give the viewers more credit than you obviously do. I don’t think it’s necessary to enumerate the incidentals of play by reciting what happens on the ice which they can very well see for themselves. I have faith in their being able to take in the little picture and draw their own conclusions without any assistance on my part. My job is to identify and explicate the big picture–“
    ”Mr. Murphy–your…your Worship?– I wasn’t telling you how to do your job. I just thought fans would want to know who actually scored before the two teams began brawling after the fastest goal in NHL history. I know our viewers can see the police separating the players on the ice and leading a few of them away in handcuffs but they’d probably like an update on the two refs who were taken to hospital on stretchers–“
    “Mr. Galley, I agree there is an ubiquity of discordant activity but the I think the issue that deserves our immediate attention is your logorrhea.”

Anook confirmed reports that CBC plans to have Conrad Black join Murphy in the broadcast booth as colour commentator but he added it won’t happen until the imprisoned former media mogul completes his sentence.
    “And we all know how long Mr. Black’s sentences can be,” Anook quipped.

– “A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants.” –

LOL you have way too much time on your hands, and for that I am thankful!

• G-Man says:

“Cross Check” is the post of the day.

• Un Canadien errant says:

This is great news! Rex would be a vast upgrade to anyone else on HNIC.

I’m still a big fan of Dennis Miller’s turn on Monday Night Football. The camera once focused on a particularly ample woman dressed in full Cowboys gear sitting in the stands. Dennis deadpanned: “We can see that the Cowboys Cheerleaders have decided to go in a radically different direction.” Al Michaels had the full on giggles for another minute and we had basically dead air while they wiped away the tears.

I think they should see if Brent Butt and Peter Kelamis are available to do the intermissions, good Canadian kids who know their hockey, their standup acts are full of bits on hockey. Kelamis does a great impression of Don Cherry, and Esa Tikkanen.

Keep us updated on this development, for the life of me I can’t find any mention of it anywhere on my google machine.

———————————

• HardHabits says:

Post of the morning.

60. canadiens26 says:

Any word on Gorges?

61. Marc10 says:

If PG signs Hammer I will lose faith. That’s simply madness. It makes no sense. We have Gill, Spacek and Markov. We don’t need another old D.

62. Brinkley says:

So Scotty ‘prefers’ to stay in Montreal?

Gee, that’s too bad Scotty….sounds like Pierre Gauthier has come to his senses, and (unfortunately for Gomez) Bob Gainey is no longer Habs GM. HOPEFULLY, if the Habs are not successful in trading Gomez, they will follow suit with the Oilers and Rangers and send Gomez to a minor league team for the remainder of his contract!

Enjoy the money Scott……you deserve it.

63. Un Canadien errant says:

Sorry Mr. Hickey, but we already have mentors in Hall Gill and Andrei Markov. We are also stuck with Mr. Spacek, that’s enough mentorship.

I would rather give the ice time to Yannick Weber, let him develop and soak up all that mentorship.

Some posters are worried about injuries. I say if we do suffer injuries let’s go to Hamilton for reinforcements, or the Sopel-Mara route we went last season.

Roman Hamrlik is not the last piece of the puzzle that will make us a Cup contender. We are many pieces away and a couple seasons away at least. Let’s invest the icetime this season in our youth and assets, we’ll benefit down the road.

———————————

Thanks for posting that, was about to start typing similar thoughts. For that matter isn’t Gorges also getting into mentor like status. I think Mr. Hickey is trying a little too hard to justify this potential move by PG.

• Hobie Hansen says:

I have to admit, that mentor crap is wearing thin!

Just like Subban needs Gill around as a mentor, what a pile of crap.

I’m glad Gill is here but I serious doubt Subban listens to a word he says anymore.

All teams need leaders in the dressing room but all this mentor stuff all the time is just silly.

64. Hobie Hansen says:

Using Weber as a 4th line forward is a pile of crap!

I’m not sure if Carbo used a defensman on the 4th line when he was coaching bu it drives me nuts when Martin does it. If you want Weber to play as a forward than but him there from training camp.

The best option is to assemble and forth line that can bang and crash and leave the scoring up to the top 3 lines.

• Norm0770 says:

Carbo did it all the time with Streit. That’s how he ended up with over 60 points while averaging 17 minutes per game.

• DownwithBobBarker says:

Really? you don’t remember Carbo using Mark Streit on the 4th line/PP specialist? Because I do ;) Remember that sweet goal he scored against Boston in the first round in ’08?

• Malreg says:

Really? That was Carbonneau’s favorite coaching tactic… He even played Josh Gorges as a forward once.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Ya I remembered Streit right after I posted it.

That annoyed the hell out of me too!

How did the Habs do with him on the 4th line in the playoffs that year?

• Jan_pronounced_Yan says:

As a poster above said, Streit put up over 60 points by playing limited minutes as a forward 5-on-5 and playing on the PP as a defenseman.

I’m not saying Weber will do the same, but the move would allow Weber to play pretty much every game, which would allow us to have his shot on the second unit of the power play. It would be a good thing for us.

And Carbo not only did it with Streit, there was a game where he had 2 defensemen on the same line as forwards.

I think if Weber is on a 4th line with either Moen and Enqvist (or a suitable UFA defensive centre) or Moen and White, that it would be fine.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Yeah Streit was a one hit wonder, tiny defenseman on the 4th line because he can’t play Defense.

Like I said, how did they do with a forth line in like that in the playoffs that year?

Did Streit and that 4th line do a good job of wearing down the opposing team’s forwards and throwing hits. Did he cycle the puck down low and create turnovers?

He racked up sixty points on a year where the Habs PP was on fire.

Some people like a mix of different players on the 4th line that include defensemen.

I think they need an established 4th line that is very physical and can make nights tough on the opposition, as do most teams.

Striet and Weber on a 4th line…gimme a break.

• Trisomy 21 says:

Well we got through the first round and i remember when Streit was moved to the 4th line from D he really threw them off their game and swayed the momentum.

Even if we were swept it would be stupid to say we lost because he was on our 4th line

• Hobie Hansen says:

Oh Streit on the 4th line swayed the momentum….yeah right.

To each as own I guess?

Not sure if anyone watched the playoffs this years but soft players on the 4th line didn’t really seem to be on display too often.

• issie74 says:

Yes, he did indeed.

NorthTOHab

65. CMAC1978 says:

I agree with a few of you here, thinking that offering Hammer a one year deal to “teach” the young guys the NHL game. Would Yemlien walk if he can’t hold a place with the Habs? I don’t want to lose a guy who could turn out to be really good, for an older player who might be past his prime.

Cam barker is on waivers, we can take a gamble on him.

66. Marcusman says:

I hope we offered at least 3.5 million to Jagr…….he’s score atleast 35 goals and have a huge impact on the power play as well as the young team.

67. habs-hampton says:

This may be a stupid question, but here goes:

Can a player/team renegotiate a contract like Gomez’s in mid-term? If both sides agreed (I know, never in a million years), could his contract be reduced to 4 million/year, or is that allowed under the CBA? Would a player ever feel so guilty about collecting so much money for a poor performance, that he would do it? Would Gomez rather make 4 million in Mtl or 7.5 million in Hamilton?

• RGM says:

No. Players have guaranteed contracts.

During the long summer, we all get to be pretend GM.

• Un Canadien errant says:

The closest equivalent I can think of is in the NFL, where players (usually QB’s) will renegotiate their contract to allow for the team to sign one or two big names and still fit under the cap. In these cases, they don’t just take a pay cut, what happens is they get an extension and the money they normally would have earned is spread out over the next few years.

In the NHL, even if a player wanted ‘waive’ his guaranteed contract, there would be a huge amount of pressure from his agent and the NHLPA to prevent this. I think Souray and Redden have already set the precedent, they were good soldiers for the cause and played in teh AHL and kept cashing their cheques. NHL GM’s won’t be tempted to think that they could shame a player into a renegotiation.

———————————

• RGM says:

The NHL and NFL are on completely different levels in this regard, thus there is no “closest equivalent” to examine. NHL players have guaranteed contracts. NFL players do not.

During the long summer, we all get to be pretend GM.

68. Old Bald Bird says:

Heads up: I know this has never happened before, but the G&M article links to Hamrlik on Cyberpresse.

69. slamtherimtim says:

if we are trying to trade gomez we cant be asking for that much , so if we cant trade him why not dump him in the minors , and still get the cap space back ,

70. Habs Proud says:

I don’t think offering Hamrlik a 1 year deal is a bad idea at all, playing 14-15 minutes a game I think he is very effective, I think he was in a tough spot last season, playing a lot more than his age allows in todays NHL, playing on the power play, Take him off the pp, limit his minutes so by the last third of the season he is not completely toasted and let him be a mentor, much like Gill has been with Subban, to the young guys and he will be an asset.

• G-Man says:

How many years do the Dmen in the system have to wait? Or all they all so bad not one can make the jump to the NHL? Or do they have to wait until they’re 30? I am in favour of moving Spacek and letting Hamrlik go. Fill the spot with someone who can learn at Gill’s side. like Subban did last season.

71. jimmy shaker says:

Hickey, you’re way off on this one. A slow, mediocre at best d-man can hardly be recognized as a mentor. I’d rather see diaz or weber back there and learning as they go. I can handle their mistakes, but mistakes from a 37 year old……that I cannot handle. I wish the teams on the heading were switched. Let hammer walk and wait for ehrhoff…..since there is no way he’ll stay on long island.

Shaker

• RGM says:

I agree. We’ve already got most of the core set and the experience will be good for the youngsters. Hamrlik, while decent while he was here…his time has come and gone.

During the long summer, we all get to be pretend GM.

72. Rugger says:

If Jagr signs with the Pens instead of the Habs, i will lose all faith in Eklund.

73. G-Man says:

re-posted from last thread:

Pat Hickey’s article re: Hamrlik as mentor.

I am sorry, but almost $3mil to be a 3rd pairing Dman, especially with Spacek costing nearly $4? Too much money. Not physical enough. And another mention of Weber as 4th liner. Mildly put- frak that! How about getting a solid winger to play the 4th line and not some tiny tot Dman?

74. HalifaxHabs says:

Well at least we have confirmation that it was only a 1 yr deal offered to Hamrlik.

I wonder how much the Pens offered Jagr.

75. G-Man says:

You are correct- 4 players on that line would freak out the opposition.

76. Garcia129 says:

Ha! well said.

In Price we Trust

77. issie74 says:

Laugh of the day.Hahahahahaha

NorthTOHab

78. thorandresson says:

and I don’t want to endure another year of reading dumb comments on H/O

79. Trisomy 21 says:

Especially his

80. RGM says:

Then I guess you’ll be leaving.

During the long summer, we all get to be pretend GM.

81. HalifaxHabs says:

good luck with that Thor, lol

82. Chris says:

That’s $8 million per year for Stamkos + 5 first round picks if Tampa can’t match. So you’re rolling the dice, but it could be worthwhile.