Canadiens visit new igloo

Playoff foes back at it

• Pat Hickey on the Penguins’ new arena

Poor drafts hurt Habs

• Red Fisher on Pat Burns

• The Hockey News profiles Lars Eller

Benoit Brunet brouhaha

• François Gagnon on P.K.

• Mario Tremblay on Canadiens’ worrisome D

Bergeron gets Plekanec money

• Thrashers goaltender collapses during game

1. SeriousFan09 says:

And the 2000 draft, Marcel Hossa and Ron Hainsey? Missed on Brad Boyes, Anton Volchenkov, Brooks Orpik and Niklas Kronwall.

Imagine our series against PHI with Volchenkov, Kronwall to just crush anyone entering the zone.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

2. 1010 says:

Cowan’s a genious. Why the hell shouldn’t the Habs be able to draft better than a team that drafte first or second for four years running? It’s a disgrace actually.

GO HABS…

3. Greg says:

Hey Stu. Good Call. Pittsburgh and Chicago have indeed made better first overall picks than Montreal’s 15th overall picks. Wow. Timmins get your s*** together.

“I lined up next to him at a faceoff, looked over and said “Hi Rocket”. All he did was growl.” -Gordie Howe

4. Beaco says:

Reading that back I’m stuck by how curmudgeonly I’ve become! LOL!

5. Beaco says:

Stu Cowan moronically weighing in as he is wont to do.That he is the editor of a sports section is mind boggling. I tend to believe he doesn’t really know much about or really have any passion for sports. I’ve never read any opinion that I couldn’t have gotten from a 10 year old. He always displays a completely shallow consideration of sports topics. Cowan editting Fisher, and  Todd. The Gazete sports section is a joke. I enjoy Stubbs. I am sometimes at odds with Hickey, but that’s ok, his is always the opinion of an intelligent, thinking adult. Just because a writer doesn’t write your story doesn’t make them a write off ;).Zurkowsky gets a thumbs up as well.My disdain for Cowan, Fisher and Todd isn’t based on differing opinions it’s the yahoo quality they all exhibit. I used to read Fisher and Todd 20 years ago and enjoyed it. They both seem to have turned into boring curmudgeons. Cowan? If he ever had a good period as a sports writer, I’m not familiar with it.

6. Exit716 says:

A more effective column would have been pointing out the fact that Andre Savard totally botched the 2003 draft.

7. Cam_1 says:

Oh believe me ..I saw lots of people complaining on this site after the first game..not on this thread but on various other threads.

8. Number31 says:

Funny that because it was no secret the Habs would have most likely picked Benoit Pouliot–you know, the highly touted big bodied forward which was apparently a need at the time as well–if the Minnesota Wild didn’t pick first. Chances are he probably wouldn’t be a Hab today if he was drafted by them (and if he doesn’t smarten up, probably won’t be one next year anyway).

Yet another unoriginal piece from Stu Cowan. This time with old McGuire and McKenzie quotes! I swear these editorials are on a loop. Get a new thing to whine about already.

9. pathockey1 says:

OMG! Stu Cowan you’re telling me the Canadiens could have selected GILBERT BRULE instead of Price?! The horror! We could have really used his 37 points last year!

10. showey47 says:

When has timmins ever drafted in the top 3? Do you also know since the timmins drafting era began,the habs and the kings are tied with the most players drafted to play in the nhl? Both have 21. While the alleged detroit redwings drafting guru’s comes in last with 8.

11. ritcey14 says:

was this comment even needed? I don’t remember anyone blaming price after the last game.. he will be fine, the team will be fine..

12. king ddd says:

a  10 year surely can do that, i doubt timmins can,

13. fun police says:

a ten year old can draft in the top 3 for four years and end up with good players.  first stu writes about the leafs, now this.  all he has to do is pen and article about the halak trade and he’s hit the trifecta.

14. The Cat says:

It can be done tonight I think.

15. Cam_1 says:

Just a heads…don’t expect Price to pitch a shutout and score a goal himself to win the game…we have to score more than 1 or 2 goals for him for a change …we score 1 or 2 goals and everyone blames Price ..goal support gentlemen…goal support !!!