Canadiens undefeated in 2010-’11!

They don’t face Jaro until March 10.

In St. Louis.

More highlights from the schedule:

• Holiday road trip is to Colorado, Dallas, Carolina, the Island, Washington, Tampa Bay and Florida. Six games in 12 days. Brutal.

• The western swing is in February: Edmonton, Calgary and Vancouver

• December is a bitch. In addition to the long road trip, four sets of back-to-back games. And from the 10th to the 16th, at Detroit, at Toronto, home to Philly and Boston.

• Fifteen sets of back-to-backers.

• Longest homestand: four games in November.

• Nine road games in March, six at home.

•  Four of the last five games on the road, ending at the ACC on April 9. And the only home game in that stretch is against Chicago on April 5.

• Of seven pre-season games, five are at the Bell Centre. Road games in Ottawa and Quebec City.

•  •  •

Nathan Horton to Boston, and Roland Melanson is Roberto Luongo’s new goaltending coach.

1. ed lopaz says:

plekanec is an idiot if he signs. he should wait til July 1, get all of his offers in a pile, and then pick Montreal if that’s the one he wants.

2. TomNickle says:

Bruins get Horton and Gregory Campbell for Dennis Wideman, 15th overall pick and another pick.

Congratulations Dale Tallon, your rebuild is officially under way and you’re off to a great start.

Peter Chiarelli, thank you for passing on the chance to make that 15th overall pick another top 5 pick.

Doesn’t speak to highly of Burke that Chiarelli was able to suck him in.

3. Bryan says:

Have to agree.  I woulda loved him on our 2nd line, but then again, I’d love half the league to play on our 2nd line.

4. Storm Man says:

He is doing a good job with Boston and sometimes you need a little luck to be good.

Tony. The Habs are heading for the draft lottery. That’s why BG stepped down. The Molsons told him that they want to follow the Black Hawk/Penguin/Capital route. BG didn’t want that on his conscience.

They traded Halak because he basically turned their 11th pick into a 27th. 2-3 years of tanking will start the franchise back on the path to building a contender. Everyone will bitch and moan for the next 3 years in 4-5 all the bandwagon jumpers will be back.

6. Rugger says:

Don’t know anything about G. Campbell, but Wideman and a ist rnd pick for Lucic 2.0?

7. SmartDog says:

Pleks is Gomez but younger and cheaper and more of a team player.  He plays in EVERY situation and puts up more points. Gomez is on the downhill side of his career, is an over priced prima donna, and can’t score.   To me it’s easy.

8. TripleX says:

Nick Kypreos says the Habs are putting the finishing touches on a long term deal for Pleks.   Wonder how much it is for if Pleks is willing to forgo free agency?

“Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement.”

9. Bryan says:

Yeah I personally think it makes more sense for EDM to draft Seguin for that reason. But I think Hall’s just too good to pass up.

10. mike g says:

Personally, I like to go see the weaker teams….

Last year I baught tickets for the Islanders and the Blues.

First of all, you’ll never have trouble finding seats for those games, because they don’t sell out quickly. So even if you get into the room 2-3 hours later, you can usually be happy that you found tickets without sweatting.

2nd, they’re weaker teams so the Habs have a better chance of winning. I’d rather pay 500$ and see my favorite team win, score about 4-5 goals, have a blast and get drunk. Don’t get me wrong, going to see them against tougher teams is great, but chances are higher they lose than against those other teams. And when you get totally busted on beer, the drive home after you spent $500 to see your team lose, well it just sucks, lol…

3rd, the weaker teams usually have some nice prospects to see live in action. I have nothing against the big stars, but I found it great to see young/high draft picks like Tavares, Oshie, Perron, etc… live in MTL for the 1st time.

So if I were you and I was flying in to watch a game, pick a weaker team with some good young prospects. You’ll pay less for the tickets, and they’ll actually be available to buy if you ever get into the purchasing room.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

11. Bryan says:

Bah!  You beat me Harani! :)

12. Bugs says:

Oh why couldn’t we get Horton? Boo-hoo.

(And tomorrow, some other guy will go some to some other place) Oh, why couldn’t we get that guy? Boo-hoo.

(And day after, some other goof will get signed by some other clowns) Oh, why couldn’t we get THAT guy? Boo-hoo-hoo.

Cuz we can’t have 67 players on the dang team, that’s why!

Jeez, every time, every player gets signed or traded “Oh, why couldn’t WE get him, boo-hoo-hoo, our management sucks…” Pathetic. Pull yourselves together, please.

Horton? I mean, Horton? Really? That’s the solution to all our problems? Horton?

Ferpetessakes…

Keepin it real, I be chillin as

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Brotha to the Man with the Plan, Product-runnin Lead Houndogg with the Voodoo Flannel Posse, and Pimp Extraordinaire of Habsbros Mama Jones Snow Cones, muthafugga: http://habsbros.blogspot.com

13. Bryan says:

Hmmm… and Nick Kypreos saysss:

UFA Mathieu Darche re-signs in
    Mtl and hearing final touches are finishing up soon for Tomas Plekanec
    on a new long term deal.

And you’re doing?

15. Harani says:

Nathan Horton and Gregory Campbell for Dennis Wideman, 15th Overall pick and another pick. Good deal for Booins.

And on Twitter: @RealKyper:…hearing final touches are finishing…Plekanec on new long term deal

“I gotta feeling…that tonight’s gonna be a good night!”

16. The Cat says:

Well he is right. Id hardly say the bruins got humiliated.

17. Rugger says:

Interesting, don’t care for Wideman but him plus a mid first round is a bit rich.

18. RJB says:

Man…my post was sarcasm, in tribute to fans such as you

19. TripleX says:

TSNBobMcKenzie

Horton and Gregory Campbell for Dennis Wideman, 15th overall pick and another draft pick. Done.

20. nickster13 says:

You mean theyll have Hall. Edmonton would be wise to pick a center like Seguin to compliment all those scoring wingers.

21. Bryan says:

Bob McKenzie

TSNBobMcKenzie

Horton and Gregory Campbell for
    Dennis Wideman, 15th overall pick and another draft pick. Done.

22. Rugger says:

TSN says Horton & another panther for one Bruin, hmm who would it be?

23. nickster13 says:

give the man some credit.. Boston looks good heading into next year… Who was the passer in Florida, weiss? now he has savard and krejci, 2 solid playmaking centers.

24. SmartDog says:

Yeah I guess that’s lucky because my son doesn’t really care who we’re playing.  It’s all new to him so better it be a game where tx aren’t hard to come by.

25. Puck Bard says:

Please… PLEASE. I’m begging you, don’t engage Tony.

26. Bryan says:

I bet Boston traded away one of their 3 centres (either Bergeron or Krecji) since they know they’ll have Seguin at the draft.

27. nickster13 says:

Meh as much as a dislike the bruins, you cant argue the future is promising with a healthier Savard and Krejci plus more goal scoring, blue chip prospects, an improving upon already solid Rask and a good leadership core. I wish the habs could trade teams and management with them at this moment, plus or minus a couple players of course

28. likehoy says:

i guess luuuuuuuuuuuuuu is going to suck some more.

29. Bryan says:

His favourite player is Price?  That has to be some kind of joke, right?

30. Habsrule1 says:

How about nice & early this year….October 16th against the sens.

But then, do we want to play the sens in the Summit AND the Mini-Summit in Ottawa? Probably not.

Speaking of which, contact me any time if you’re interested in the Mini-Summit in Ottawa. It will be Saturday, October 23rd!

Go Habs Go!! “Fans are great, but the quickest way to start losing is to listen to them.” – Sam Pollock

31. adam76 says:

Thanks, Toronto.

32. likehoy says:

chiarelli’s not a genius…he’s just lucky burke’s a moron.

chiarelli’s just done a sideways move…horton is the middle man between ryder and kessel. chiarelli could have easily kept kessel for the 5.5 million he demanded, had a 40 goal scorer. instead he puts 4.5 million into nathan horton, who may or may not get 30 goals depending how he feels. i take that the bruin’s 2nd first rounder was dealt for horton.

chiarelli’s just trying to make for the mistake of trading their quick sniper kessel. horton’s not a quick guy so there’s no saying if he’ll succeed with the bruins considering they have very few quick skaters on the team which was destroyed by the smaller and quicker richards and briere in the playoffs.

we went 5-1 against the bruins this past year cause we were quicker than them, and to me, nothing’s changed.

33. The Cat says:

Im in total agreement with you.

34. mike g says:

Usually it’s because they’re more expensive..

But alot of red tickets are owned by season ticket holders. The upper level tickets usually go faster, cuz people would rather pay 70$ or so instead of 150$. But in your case, if you get in I don’t see you having any problems because SJ really isn’t a big sell.

It’s not like your trying to get tickets for WSH, PIT, CHI, DET, TOR, BOS, OTT, etc…. SJ is a western team that not many people here follow, so that game probably won’t sell-out until later in the day.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

35. HabFanSince72 says:

I can only imagine the personal hell you live in Tony.

But really, lighten up man.

36. Harani says:

Nathan Horton is apparently a Bruin.

Ans Canucks hire Rolli Melanson to work with Louuu!

“I gotta feeling…that tonight’s gonna be a good night!”

37. avatar_58 says:

Ugg…Horton to Bruins? Am I the only one worried that team is stacking itself….WITHOUT EVEN TANKING? Arg.

38. Storm Man says:

Hmmm so many good games to pick to fly in for :)

39. nickster13 says:

meh Darche is the player we should have let go, good on him for this season and all, but like the guy hardly plays..

Gauthier better make a splash somewhere, we need some promise and hope going into next year, status quo minus halak isnt good enough

40. HabFanSince72 says:

Are these the Bruins who just got humiliated in the layoffs?

41. GrimJim says:

Hey Ian, when’s Summit 2010?

I doubt they’ll sell us 50 tickets to the Leafs game Nov 20 so that leaves Sabres (Nov27) Sens (Nov 6) or Canes (Nov 13)

42. nickster13 says:

Bruins just picked up Nathan Horton apparently. see tsn. How is it they swung a deal for him but we couldnt? (terms havent been announced yet). And why did florida give up on him?

For the bruisn though, wow they are gonna be a force real soon, all these 1st round picks next 2 years, plus an already solid core, Chiarelli is a genius

43. Storm Man says:

About the same amount of numbers in Pi would be a good start.

44. SmartDog says:

Hey, that’s my birthday!  You’re the best!

45. LatheDog says:

Look on the bright side, this team will learn to become road warriors!!!!

46. SmartDog says:

i’ll try that – thanks.  Just thought I’d mention it here in case.

Are there usually more red tickets left later because they’re expensive?   My son’s birthday is in November.  I’ve taken him a couple times but only in the upper levels.  I want to get really good seats for a game he’ll remember.

————————————————————

47. Habsrule1 says:

How can you think Gomez is overpaid and still want the Habs to sign Plekanec? No matter what, Pleks will be overpaid if we keep him. The biggest difference is that Gomez has actually had a very good career with an average of almost 70 points per season, wheras Pleks average is about 50 points, and who knows where it is heading. i wonder how many free agents will sign here once they find out Plekanec is staying….not sure it’ll have the same effect as getting Gomez did.

I am so circling Thu, 10 Mar 2011 on my calendar.

49. ed lopaz says:

Pyatt had the work ethic all along – but I agree about Lapierre. Watching Darche had tp help Lapierre find his game

50. mike g says:

Try go on the Habs site and get some when they go on sale…

I know it’s really tough to actually get some, but it’s worth a try. I know I’ll be trying, and if I get in and there’s only red tickets left, I’ll pick some up for you vs the Sharks and let you know.

Sounds good?

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

51. RJB says:

Hey guys, I just wanted to tell you all that this tough-luck schedule is totally Gauthiers fault! But not really, because we all know that Gainey is the real GM! I mean come on, can the front office screw this team up any more? I mean they already made the worst trade in the history of trades in all of sport! It’s almost a week after and I’m still spewing garbage theories about how the front office is trying to ruin the Habs you say? Well thats because it’s true guys and gals! If you don’t believe it, then maybe you need to adjust your tin foil hats!! So yeah, just wanted to come on and keep complaining about how the Habs used to be great, and now managment is ruining them, not even taking into account that parity is the name of the game in the NHL now. Way to go Gauthier aka Bob Gainey, it’s completely your fault we have such a tough schedule! And if anyone tries to call me crazy, I’ll just say I have been a Habs fan for years and just hate to see this once proud team in “shambles” when in reality I just really like to complain!

P.S signing Darche?! Worst signing EVER

52. ed lopaz says:

you see, on HIO, there are a few rules, and you might be breaking some of those rules right now!!.

rule # 1 – never criticize Gainey or Gauthier – they are the best GM’s in the NHL – forget that we haven’t won the cup in 17 seasons – at least we make the playoffs 4/5, or 5/6 or whatever – and what about the other 29 teams? they didn’t win the cup either!!

rule # 2 – the Cap is king rule. Everything is dictated in one way or another by the Cap. Trading for Gomez had to be a good deal – you’re foolish for suggesting otherwise – because his 7.3 million salary was entirely Cap driven; or at least partially cap driven; or….you know what I mean.

Gainey and Gauthier know what they’re doing, its all part of the master plan, and don’t forget it!! :-))

53. GrimJim says:

TSN announcing Scott Neidermeyer will retire

54. SmartDog says:

No way!  I want to get my money worth from that guy!   He better play – and he better freakin’ score a hatrick!

Did you see the picture I posted last year of my son in front of the Gomez banner?

55. MasterHab says:

Maybe if the Habs could take care of business between October and the end of March the last game of the season wouldn’t be so damned important.  If you need to play Game #82 every year just to see if you’re going to even make the playoffs then you deserve to get knocked off by the Leafs. I’m so fed up of every year either squeaking into the last playoff spot or just missing the last playoff spot. How about a team that’s good enough to make the post-season by a comfortable margin every year? Is it too much to ask for home ice advantage once in a while? This is what we’ve been reduced to. Back in the day, a Habs fan’s only thought going into the season was “will we win the Cup?”. Now it’s “will we make the playoffs?”

Pathetic.

56. andrewberkshire says:

Hope you get the tickets! Maybe Gomez will be out with the flu for that game and you can be even happier!

57. Corporate says:

That’s what happens when some speaks out of their arse…

58. andrewberkshire says:

Gotta beef up those revenue sharing dollars!

59. SmartDog says:

I didn’t say Darche was a bad signing.  I agree we need these guys.  This one is a little bit iffy, but the price is right and he’s a hard worker.  Hopefully it works out.

As for Gomez – it was a stupid trade then and still is.  I don’t care what value people think MAYBE he brought or whatever. It was a  fiscally dumb move.  Five years of dumb.

60. Corporate says:

Well markov was a rock for us but has shown signs of being injury prone. Yes I know every player gets injured but the last one was a legal hit that he just didn’t take well. The habs must start asking questions as who can be our future. If he wants to stay here, go right ahead and sign him. But he has not much in the playoffs, hasn’t won anything, and we didn’t see him after the first round.. of course if we trade him I expect someone of his caliber back.

61. crabvader says:

I’m willing to be Pyatt wouldn’t have been such a sparkplug if Darche hadn’t been around. I also think he helped Lapierre. Laps turned it around big time during playoff time.

I also like this signing.

62. SmartDog says:

Please forgive the small “ad”. I’m looking to buy 2 good tickets for the afternoon game Dec. 4 (2:00 vs Sharks).

I want to take my 7-year-old…. if you have season passes lower down and might sell a pair to me, please let me know!  Thanks!

63. Corporate says:

Quite honestly I think this is a good signing. We need those types of players. he played well for us this year and the reason why he didn’t play every game is because we had too many players during our run on the 3rd and 4th lines. Other players have said that he is good with young players. He played his heart out and he wants to play here. For 550,000$ that is a bargain.

Stop critisizing every little move that the Canadiens do. Last year I am sure you were one of the guys that said why did they sign Gomez… 2 days later you got your answer. So give the benefit of the doubt to the Habs.

64. pic1983 says:

“we sometimes put unreasonable expectations on our players”

UNDERSTATEMENT of the century!

65. pic1983 says:

Well if Markov doesnt look committed to signing an extension, I dont think theres a choice really.  As an Elite blueliner, and an undisputed #1 defenseman, Im sure markov could fetch a very nice return.

66. crabvader says:

I swear, schedulers hate the Habs.

The only reason we have almost all those pre-season games at home is probably because we’re the only damn team in the league than can sell them out.

67. SmartDog says:

So we signed Darche – a possible 4th line winger who was benched half the playoffs, and found out we have a crappy schedule.  Nice.

Hopefully that means we’re due some good news.  Like Pleks is signed, or Gauthier has decided to retire and go write a crime novel.

68. namgel says:

The only way to keep Laff Fans interested is to give them the last game of the season against us.

You know

“We may suck but if we hurt the Habs playoff seeding then the season was a suck-sess”

That old chestnut.

69. andrewberkshire says:

You mean bone-headed Carbonneau. And fyi Halak was lit up and pulled the game before.

70. nickster13 says:

I agree, we always get a lamely centered schedule. Starting AND ending in toronto is a problem, and why is our home opener always after like 4 games against an obscure team im not sure

71. J Haul says:

Oh come on! This schedule is ridiculous… I was complaining the other day about never getting a home opener as our first game of the season and more specifically starting in Toronto all the time. When we finally do get our home opener, several games into the season, it’s always against some weird, obscure team. My friend’s response was, “well we always finish at home”. Now they’ve taken that away from us too!? First AND last game IN Toronto. This is just so damn absurd.

72. dallyd31 says:

Funny…I didn’t think Gainey was the coach.

73. Mikey_39 says:

If Gauthier trades Markov and doesn’t sign Plecky, I will lose even more faith in the Habs organization.   There is a huge shortage of players we’ve drafted playing successfully for Montreal, and seeing how we’ve just traded yet another player in Halak, I will be very disaapointed if we trade away one of the best defenseman in the NHL and arguably one of the best two way players in the NHL

74. sCOTT1243 says:

As someone also mentioned, why the heck do they have us play the leafs the last game every year?  Ridiculous, I guess that’s the only thing leaf fans have to live for, for the whole season…the chance to knock the habs out.

75. habs001 says:

eller has played 7 games in the nhl yet some posters think he can score 70 points next season …lets be realistic and be happy if he produces 40 points…we sometimes put unreasonable expectations on our players…when pouliot had that 30 game hot streak some posters were stating he will be a 45 goal scorer even though at 23 this was the first time he showed anything in his pro career ….

76. crabvader says:

He’s still a bad example to use towards your argument since he’s done nothing to wow anyone.

77. krob1000 says:

Eklund has the salary cap goingup by 5 percent and a new CBA having been put in place …

if this is true the cap could actually be as high as 59.6 million dollars….I know it is Eklund but that sure would be nice to hear…

78. andrewberkshire says:

Good call.

79. Bugs says:

Aw, let the Toranna guy have his say. What harm does it do?

Besides, if an ignore option is instituted, I’m done for, sooo…

Keepin it real, I be chillin as

80. cautiousoptimist says:

Here’s a crazy idea — why not throw $6.5M at Marleau and $5M at Plekanec, and set up a Gomez deal similar to the one that brought him to Montreal?  How about Gomez and a middling prospect (Stewart, say) for a solid Blair Betts-type of player plus a 3rd- or 4th-round pick?  We shed salary and land a solid plugger, they gain skill.

1. http://www.flickeringpictures.com – not a hockey site, but still kinda neat
  81. Habsrule1 says:

You are the disgrace. The Habs went the furthest inn the playoffs in almost 20 years, and you still slag them? they were, in essence, the 4th best team in the league this past season.

Please gtfo of this site ffs!

82. crabvader says:

Pffff, fine! Take Horton!

All I care is that Boston doesn’t have two first rounders anymore :P

Good luck motivating that big baby, Jules!

83. ed lopaz says:

just that 2 million alone would have covered the “CAP Problem” of signing Halak.

84. crabvader says:

Did you check the phone book for PG’s number?

Either way, I don’t think Gomez is going anywhere.

85. forskis says:

So it is now Gainey’s fault that Latendresse refused to go to the front of the net and it is also Gainey’s fault that Ribeiro refused to work hard consistently but decided to be a prima donna consistently?

I guess that it is also Gainey’s fault that Roy got traded by Houle and that Chelios slept with Cory’s wife?  I guess it is also Gainey’s fault that Sam Pollock, Dick Irvin Sr. and Toe Blake are all dead?

“I am guilty of using elipses…”

86. jbroderi says:

I have a question for all you smart people on a tueday afternnon.

How far has Ollie jokinen fallen?  I know he has had some subpar play as of late, but if Pleks walks, do you think maybe a 2 year 5 million contract would be enough to get him?  If you could get him for that, we might be able to add a big, 25 goal winger.  If jokinen really busts, maybe Ellar will fill in?  I know this might be a little risky, but do you think it could potentiall work, say if we got versteeg or bufflin (ignore the spelling)?

87. Rugger says:

There is no way you would be ignored by most, you, like the late Timo bring humor regardless of whether I agree with you.

88. crabvader says:

And leave us with an air-tight cap without any scoring depth. Smart!

89. TorontoHabsFan says:

Any ideas on where to send Gomez?

90. SeriousFan09 says:

Unless that 2 million is involved in say… getting some scoring up front?

91. andrewberkshire says:

Greg Wyshynski has reported that the players elected to use the 5% escalator.

92. forskis says:

I suggested it late in the season but the website consensus was that he was not worth the risk of being a locker room issue and that he will still continue to struggle.

“I am guilty of using elipses…”

93. jbroderi says:

i’d take the deal, but not sure if we can unload gomer.  If gomez was making 4.5 million or 5 a year, I would love to keep him though!!

94. ooder says:

of course, I mean they have already played enough games of the 2010-2011 season to tell just how bad they are

it’s soooo obvious

——————

“I like what I’m seeing right now,” assessed Markov. “We’re not perfect, but we’re trying to be.”

95. Kooch7800 says:

With Savard setting him up I bet he gets around 35 goals this year

96. Habsrule1 says:

Let’s just keep Gomez (proven 70 point guy over his career), and let Pleks go (one season of 39 points followed by one season of 70 points), and still find the room to get Marleau.

97. Bugs says:

We lose Gomez, we lose Gionta’s production. Gionta has NEVER produced as he has with Gomez.

For the record: I like Gomez. He brought it when it was all on the line. Does he make too much? Sure. But we ain’t payin’m. And I refuse to believe the extra 3mil he gets is the difference between the team we have and a Stanley Cup one.

Marleau, Spezza, or whoever? Fine. But for Plecky, not Gomie.

My opinion.

Keepin it real, I be chillin as

98. secretdragonfly says:

According to RDS, MAB will be undergoing knee surgery for an injury he sustained during the first game against Washington.  Lousy timing for MAB, to say the least.

99. SeriousFan09 says:

Jokinen would be a new Kovalev issue IMO, he also has a history with JM from Florida that saw him dealt to PHX for not much in return. I don’t see him ending up here, not worth wasting the space on him with the cap issue and he wouldn’t be easily traded if we had to get rid of him.

100. crabvader says:

Pleks isn’t going anywhere. There are whispers that the final touches are being done on a long-term extension.

I wouldn’t touch Jokinen with a ten-foot pole. I wouldn’t even offer him a Darche contract… well maybe I would… but anything over 2$mil at this point is a yoke.

Hold on let me get this straight. They made it far due to the play of their netminder, whom they traded away.

They were not the 4th best team they were the 19th best team. I can’t believe you people. WOW. I am livid to think that this web site is so good at attracting people with IQ’s of jelly beans.

The Habs are not a good team. No team blows itslef up the way the Habs did last year. No team trades their best player for two picks they could’ve had at the draft way back when.

This team as it stands looks like a draft lottery team and that’s about the only thing they got going for them.

The Habs were thoroughly dominated in all but two maybe 3 games in 18 of the playoffs and you’re talking about a deep playoff run. HR1! Reality check please!!!

102. crabvader says:

I bet Cammy gets more.

103. Bugs says:

But UNLIKE Timo, I don’t bash the team with opprobrious sarcasm first chance adversity surfaces.

Keepin it real, I be chillin as

Yes but that wouldn’t have dealt with the CArey Price Problem! ;-)

105. Mike from Ktown says:

TSNBobMcKenzie

Tomas Plekanec has agreed to terms with MTL on a multi-year deal worth an estimated $5 million per year

106. Castor says:

I just saw that too!

107. andrewberkshire says:

Chris, I’m pretty sure they’ve announced that women will have a separate ballot and two inductees this season.

108. Harani says:

If it’s under 5 million…I say it’s good!

“I gotta feeling…that tonight’s gonna be a good night!”

109. Kooch7800 says:

He is going to test free agency to get the big payday. This is the chance in his career where he can make the most money. He will try and capitalize on that.

He will not be a hab next year.  I think that is why we got Eller

110. light_n_tasty says:

Actually, they said goodbye to Koivu when they traded for Gomez…

111. nightmare_49 says:

… from Michael Russo/Russo’s Rant

– Update: The Wild signed Brad Staubitz, acquired from San Jose yesterday for a fifth-round pick, to a two-year, $1.15 million deal. Salary-cap hit is $575,000. One-way contract, meaning NHL salary if he were to play in the minors. He’ll be here in Minnesota.

112. Harani says:

If you think we are not making the playoffs, why don’t you go find another team to support.

“I gotta feeling…that tonight’s gonna be a good night!”

113. Storm Man says:

Wait till ED sees this he will call Plekanecs a idiot for not waiting till after July 1.

114. JIMVINNY says:

Halak was this teams best player for a very small portion of the season.  Ane he had nothing to do with the 12 goals cammaleri scored in the first 14 playoff games.

115. Rugger says:

Very pleased if so, any length given?

116. cautiousoptimist says:

I wouldn’t mind losing Plekanec if we get something in return, but I hate the idea of letting another star UFA just walk,e especially since he and Gomez probably contribute about the same.

Anaheim might be a trade candidate — they’ve got no second-line centre behind Getzlaf, and $21M in cap space with 19 players already signed.

1. http://www.flickeringpictures.com – not a hockey site, but still kinda neat
  117. jbroderi says:

what now??

118. TripleX says:

I wanted Pleks to stay in Montreal but a 5 million cap hit?  That is a lot of money.  So around 23 million a year for four players.  WOW

119. mike g says:

Jokinen’s stock has fallen faster than the American economy…

He was once considered in the top tier of NHL forwards, now he’s in the middle pack. The 2.5 mill per year you suggested is ballpark what he will/could get, unless a team blows him away with a 3.5 or 4 mill offer.

If Pleks walks, I’m not sure about Olli. I really liked him in FLA, but him and JM seemed to clash. And I’ll defend JM on this one, cuz Olli seems to be like that with many people. Don’t get me wrong he’s a good player, but I don’t think we should sign a “good” player to fill a 1st/2nd line centerman role.

He’s a giant question mark, he really is. And if there’s one indication that nobody trusts him, it’s that Sather hasn’t resigned him. When Sather doesn’t bite on a “has-been”, you know something is really weird.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

120. crabvader says:

Leave it to some to always nitpick.

121. SeriousFan09 says:

Best player remains Andrei Markov, Kovalev’s 84-point effort in 07-08 didn’t suddenly make him the best man on the team, as Halak’s half-season and great playoff run doesn’t cancel out that Markov has always been the bigger factor for our success. Team needed exceptional PP scoring to get through the year and guess who set up a lot of that PP scoring in the 2nd half? Andrei Markov.

Schultz was overlooked in favour of Steve Quailer, 6’3″ winger who had a good freshman NCAA season, but had a torn ACL and missed his 2nd year, which is not anyone’s fault. We drafted a big winger and people still complain…

Habs reorganized their core for playoff success, which it delivered on, and are now dealing with the issue that while they made it far with Halak, the way they made it far was a desperation play of rope-a-dope since they didn’t have the scoring elements to run with the opposition. So they go out looking for players to give us more scoring and counter opposition players like Hartnell and they are still criticized…

122. ed lopaz says:

PLEKANEC IS AN IDIOT FOR NOT WAITING TO SEE THE OTHER OFFERS!

123. Mike from Ktown says:

I am happy with this. Plek is worth 5 mil a year. He does lots more than just score goals. If we had Gomez at a similar number it would be very nice. If he made it to the open market I bet you would have seen him get somewhere from 5.5 – 6.5 mil.

124. jbroderi says:

guess we got pleks for roughly the same as Halak money.  If we could dump hammer, which we won’t, we could really have some coin to get a winger, maybe marleau on the wing??

125. GrimJim says:

What til Tony sees this, he’ll accuse BG of some Jedi mind trick on Pleks agent, and PG for being an idiot for not bargaining Pleks down to 3 mil/yr

126. Chris says:

That all depends on whether you think Scott Gomez is on the downhill side of the peak or still at the top.  If you believe his best days are behind him, then he is a 55-65 point guy, and not a 70 point guy.

Alex Tanguay, drafted the same year as Gomez, is also a proven 70 point guy, and has in fact averaged more points per 82 games over his career (68.5) than Gomez has (66.6).  Both Gomez and Tanguay have put up four seasons of 70 points or more in their career.

Like Tanguay, I think that Gomez needs to be surrounded by good hockey players to realize his potential.  Montreal didn’t seem to have enough team depth to keep both the Gomez and Plekanec lines running efficiently.  That will be the challenge for Gauthier this summer, to bring in somebody who can help the team run two relatively consistent scoring lines.

127. nightmare_49 says:

Well, at least, we know where the salary cap increase went, to a soft center who had a decent year defensively to go along with a good offensive season but rather questionable playoff.

128. Chris says:

But with $21 M, they could just as easily go after Patrick Marleau.  Or they could target Kovalchuk for some more scoring and sign Koivu, who did an admirable job on the second line once he got comfortable in Anaheim.

129. GrimJim says:

Holy S??T, Tony got the always positive Harani mad!

130. TripleX says:

Some of us think he could have been signed for far less last year.  Call it nitpicking dude, I call it bad player management.

Why sign players to contracts when their negotiating leverage is highest?  Maybe it is just me.

131. volcano62 says:

you would be surprised at what dumb and dumber could screw up

132. Chris says:

I was one of the people on that boat too.  But if he is really getting a $5 million per year deal, then he cashed in quite well without ever going to UFA status.

133. Storm Man says:

News flash ED he likes playing for Montreal and likes the team. Try cheering for the team and not a name on the back of the best jersey in all of sports. If not the Blues chat room in down the hall next to the little boys room.

134. TommyB says:

What are the chances of “someone” bitching that Gauthier didn’t sign Pleks and let him go to another team for $5 mil/year?  You know the answer to that one, don’t you?  [points upward]

135. Mark C says:

No he’s not. It seems two things happened here. 1) Tomas really wanted to stay in Montreal and, 2) Tomas feels that $5 mill per year is fair. Why should he wait, to hope that some team like the Thrashers or the Blue Jackets offer $6 mill and have Montreal pull their offer?

Also, Montreal may have used an exploding contract i.e. an offer only good until X date.

136. Chris says:

Oof.  Agree whole-heartedly.  I like Plekanec, but yikes…that is a lot of money locked up in Gomez and Plekanec now.

137. crabvader says:

He had ONE season that was sub-par.

He wasn’t the only one, either. He did far better this year and is an asset to any team. Sure, he may not have been at his best during the playoffs but look at how many games he played before then! And if we even made the playoffs in the first place, don’t you think his 70 points had anything to do with it?

He’s an ironman type player who kills penalties, sets up goals and can also score a few. No, he’s DEFINITELY NOT worth it, right?

This guy is useful to any team.

138. TripleX says:

I am sure his agent is spitting bullets….LOL

On the bright side Pleks has chosen loyalty over “show me the money” and the cap looks to rise by 3 million dollars.

With the cap rising by 3 million could PG have kept Halak and Pleks.

139. jbroderi says:

that’s not a problem.  save it for his first weak goal or something.

Halak played really well in the play-offs, but I don’t remember a goalie getting pulled 3 times in 3 rounds

Crabvader’s dictionary:

nitpick (pronounced REE-AL-EE-TEEE) – to point out an obvious yet uncomfortable truth

141. crabvader says:

Lol, you are one of the most delusional bastards on this site, HH.

Give it a rest.

142. Habsrule1 says:

You’re right. They got where they got on Halak alone. I almost forgot that nifty goal he scored on a pass from himself.

The regular season is irrelevent. If the flyers had won, would they be the best team, or the 18 (or wherever they finished)?

Look in the mirror dude….you might not be there though, cause you’re lost.

143. forskis says:

That is bad optics and you know it…considering that many thought the 2.75M he got after that horrible season was too much, you were probably one of the ones that wanted him out after that bad season then when he played better, demanded that he be signed, well now that he is, you complain about his cap hit?

Would you rather that he got 5MM or even 3.5MM after that horrible season?  Gainey gave the player a chance to prove that he deserves the dollars instead of just throwing it at him, that is considered good player management, but like all stories, this can be twisted to appear one way or the other.  He got 70 pts. which deserved the raise.  Now Pleks will have to continue to show that the raise is justified and not just deserved.

“I am guilty of using elipses…”

144. TripleX says:

I never said he was not worth it, in fact he probably signed for UNDER market value for which PG has to be commended.

My point was that he could have been locked up for less money if management had acted sooner.

Bottom line I am happy Pleks is staying so we are 99% in agreement.

145. SLONCOLD says:

FYI habs said goodbye to pleks last year when the traded for gomez….

Scott Niedermayer has retired.

147. Chris says:

Good trade for the Bruins.  Scoring killed them last year, so the addition of Horton and the return of a healthy Savard should bring them back to form.

Could be a scary team once again with the addition of (probably) Tyler Seguin and if Sturm, Krejci and Lucic all step up their play next year.

148. Josh says:

Isn’t this years schedule supposed to be more spread out? What a bunch of bull that Bettman and Daly spewed out about how the olympics screwed up the schedules.

149. TorontoHabsFan says:

The emergence of Johnny Boychuk apparently made Wideman expendable…but man, that’s not a D corps that inspires much confidence after Chara. Horton seems to be a 25 goal, 35 assist type player – should be interesting to see if he can replicate those numbers under Claude Julien (I also wonder if this means the end of the Blake Wheeler era?) In all it seems like one of those “I’ll trade my problem for your problem” kinda deals.

One things for certain – with Kulikov, Wideman, and McCabe Florida has one helluva great fantasy hockey D corps (especially if your league gives a premium for PP points!)

150. SeriousFan09 says:

They’re going to have a nightmare in 2013 trying to figure out a ballot of Blake, Forsberg, Niedermayer, Chelios, Tkachuk and possibly Selanne and Modano as well for the HOF.

I say the Canadiens ask him about his post-career intentions, perhaps we can get him as a special assignment coach for our defencemen.

151. andrewberkshire says:

Wonder how long Ryder will last there now with Horton coming in?

So the big question is, “Who should the Habs choose next draft with their lottery pick?”

Discuss!!!

153. Chris says:

He’s a UFA at the end of the season, so he will probably be dealt by the deadline.

Or we could go for Larry Robinson!!!

155. Bozo McBozo says:

Krusty the clown!

156. Chuck says:

Both starting and ending the regular season on the road in Toronto. No schedule maker blue-and-white bias there, eh?

_____________________________________

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

157. nickster13 says:

no it would have been too logical :P our administrative team doesnt deal in logic

158. 123456 says:

i counted 14 back to back games…. WTF??

secret mod

159. Omit says:

Don’t worry.  Maybe one day you’ll do just as well as a blind squirrel, too.  There’s always a chance.

160. Bozo McBozo says:

They just want that last game to matter. It’s the NHL equivalent of the “Bubble Bowl!”

Who would’ve known that the bitchfestpalooza would’ve revolved not around the playoff exit but the unceremonious trade of the other guy!

162. SeriousFan09 says:

A Minnesota Goalie who won “Mr. Hockey”!

163. nightmare_49 says:

The other pick in the Horton trade is a third round pick in 2011, according to Steve Gorten/SunSenrinel.com.

164. Chris says:

Forsberg is still an active hockey player, so I’m not sure when he goes on the ballot.  He’s still toying with the idea of trying for another run in the NHL, provided his foot can hold up.

My ballot:

1.  Chelios  (one of the best defencemen in history, perhaps the best American player in history which counts for a lot)

2.  Niedermayer (perhaps the winningest player in history…World Juniors, World Championships, Olympic Gold Medal, Stanley Cups with two teams…a lock)

3.  Modano (all-time leading scorer amongst American players, Stanley Cup, Olympic Gold Medal, World Cup of Hockey…he won everything there was to win)

4.  Selanne (right there with Jari Kurri for best Finnish player in history)

5.  Blake  (very good NHL player for a lot of years)

6.  Forsberg (excellent NHL player during his career, but injuries really derailed him)

Whereas that last game usually meant whether the Habs made or missed the playoffs now it’ll be all about whether or not the Habs finish 26th or 25th over-all. Given the Habs penchant for screwing things up they’ll win that game 6-2 and miss the lottery by a hair.

166. volcano62 says:

So there is no way we could have sent Pleks or Sisters and Hamerlik to Florida for Horton?

167. SeriousFan09 says:

I’d go with Niedermayer, Chelios and Selanne but basically, they can’t go wrong for two straight HOF years.

168. TorontoHabsFan says:

I dunno about Chelios being the best American player in history…I think one could (rightly IMO) argue that Brian Leetch takes that title.

I wonder about Blake though…might he be a case of someone who was very good for a very long time and never was truly “great”?

169. HFX-HabFan says:

Well, with Horton off the market, and the Blues not wanting to give us Backes for Halak, I don’t know who to stick at the top of my wish list now.  Andrew Ladd?  Colby Armstrong?  Brad Richards?

170. 123456 says:

why would florida want that? i can see an interest in the sisters but they are unknows…. and hammer is a big cap hit..

secret mod

171. ed lopaz says:

30 million is no “home town loyalty discount” Chris.

agreed. I never thought the habs would go that high and for 6 years.

there was nothing left on the table here – not even a few crumbs.

172. HFX-HabFan says:

I love your optimism.

173. RGM says:

Still full of pride in the team eh?

—– “Come on, let’s keep a little optimism here.” — Han Solo, Return of the Jedi

Bryan – They still have the laff 2nd rounder in their pocket. Money wise, this deal is a wash. Boston has to be gearing up to go for it right now so there is no way that they are finished. I imagine the owner was totally pissed at how they bowed out to Philly after being ahead 3-0 squared. Seguin will not come cheap if he makes the team out of junior.

175. Rugger says:

If you’re the Panthers would you take the K’s and Hammer over the mid 1st round pick and a 3rd, ignoring that they got Wideman as well?

176. volcano62 says:

No but I would take Pleks, a pick and Hammer.

177. nightmare_49 says:

– from On Frozen Pond/George Richards

– Horton wanted out.

– “You have to just move on and get excited about the new guy,” coach Pete DeBoer said. “Dale has a blueprint on how to build this team. He’s going piece by piece. We all see the weaknesses from goal scoring. The reality is, the group we had not getting job done. Changes are expected.

178. HabFanSince72 says:

Of course not.

We all want the Habs to get rid of the Sisters and Hamr. WHy would anyone want them?

179. crabvader says:

I just want to see: Habs ink Plekanec to 5-year 21.5$ million extension. :P

(Or less!)

180. nightmare_49 says:

Tom Renney named Edmonton Head Coach, Quinn now senior advisor  … Elliotte Friedman tweet.

181. Habsrule1 says:

It’s really not fair to say this, but wouldn’t it be nice to have an “ignore” option for Tony242′s posts?

And yes, I realize many of you would use it for me as well. I’m ok with that.

Go Habs Go!!

182. crabvader says:

No, no, no! Blues didn’t want to give us Eller and we got him anyway.

Schultz was also thrown in because they were salivating at the prospect of prying Halak away from us.

I think both teams gambled. We’ll see who comes out on top. Personally, I think we need a guy like Eller.

6’1″ and fights for every inch of HIS ice. Also has a good set of hands, unlike Ladd and Armstrong.

I think Brad Richards will be too expensive. He won’t accept a significant pay decrease.

I’m intrigued to see what Gauthier does with the K’s. I’m even more intrigued as to who he thinks should replace them.

Either way, those two need to go. Sergei is a crybaby and AK is just disinterested. Don’t have to go home but you can’t stay here.

Modano did not win Olympic gold. Niedermayer won Olympic gold twice. ;-)

184. SeriousFan09 says:

PG got his wish, cap is rising by 2 million by a vote from the NHLPA.

185. Chris says:

My picks for this year’s Hall of Fame:

1.  Cammi Granato – That is the one slam dunk, if they are truly serious about considering the merits of male and female players equally.  Considered by many to be the best player in the history of women’s hockey and an excellent abassador for her sport, she has to get in now if they have any hope of inducting players like Goyette, Wickenheiser and Campbell some day.  Whether they consider women on a separate ballot will be interesting.

2.  Sergei Makarov – Another slam dunk.  The deserved induction of Igor Larionov demonstrated that the Hall of Fame is serious about being the Hockey Hall of Fame, not the NHL Hall of Fame.  And there were few players in the world through the 1980′s that were better than Makarov.  His NHL point totals were respectable given that he was 31 years old when he came over, but he should get in based on his excellence in international and Russian hockey.

3.  Pavel Bure – Career cut short by injuries, but he has the sixth highest goals per game average in history and was amongst the best players in the NHL for most of his career.  One of the most exciting pure goal-scorers in NHL history.  Start his career in 1980 instead of 1990 and he challenges Gretzky for the goal-scoring records.

I just don’t know if Ciccarelli, Andreychuk or Gilmour belong in the Hall of Fame.  They were all very good players, with Gilmour perhaps playing the most complete game, but they were never the best in the league at their position.  I suppose the induction of Mike Gartner, a very good player over a long career, means that all three of these guys should be in as well.

186. crabvader says:

Grabovski’s career?

He isn’t really good. Terrible on the faceoff circle, has decent hands and can’t put up any points. His highest point output is 48.

NEXT.

187. crabvader says:

Eeeeeeexcellent *rubs hands together*.

The Habs are a disgrace. Can I be any clearer.

189. crabvader says:

Because YOU think they are means that’s the way it is?

Ok, God.

190. Habsrule1 says:

I disagree. Rivalries are built on history. The Habs & laffs are eternal rivals. Same goes for Boston, and even philly now to some extent. Of course the rivalry can become even greater if both teams do well and play each other in higher stake games, but it will always exist.

191. avatar_58 says:

I disagree because the caps and pens are now rivals. They never used to be, but Oveckin and Crosby have created that rivalry. It then BECAME a fan rivalry.

That’s the real reason the current habs don’t yet ramp it up when visiting Toronto. They don’t care, it’s just another team. Something has to happen to spark that rivarly. Who knows maybe I’m wrong and the Phaneuf captain deal will spark Cammalleri.

192. andrewberkshire says:

The Habs haven’t treated the Leafs like a rival in at least a decade. Whenever the two teams play, Toronto plays their best and Montreal plays their worst. Because of the extensive gap in talent between the two teams, we have a .500 record against them since the lockout.

193. andrewberkshire says:

Men have all the spots for the entire history of the HHOF and now women get 2 spots in one year and it’s a big deal?

Pat Burns wasn’t left off in favour of female hockey players, he was left off in favour of the two builder who were voted in. Your vitriol is misplaced.

194. Kristopher7 says:

price going from 2.2 mil to 2.5 mil? He’ll get more than that.

195. SeriousFan09 says:

Lindros isn’t going in because it’s the Hockey Hall of Fame, not the Hockey Hall of Maybe.

196. TripleX says:

If you read my comment I clearly stated the player category, the statement on Pat Burns was an entirely separate item.

I don’t think it is fair to deny any NHL player a potential spot for a woman. With all due respect to Cammy Granato, her career does not measure up to any of the NHL players up for the HHOF.

If female players must be included for political considerations then make it a separate grouping. To compare NHL players and female players is misguided and smacks of patronizing.

197. andrewberkshire says:

Price only hit 2/6 bonuses last year and made just over 1 million. A qualifying offer for him only needs to be 900k.

198. mike g says:

Solid signing, happy to see Pleks staying…

Whether you think it’s too much or not, that’s market value for his production/value to a team. Scott Hartnell is getting 4 mill per year and has a much smaller role on the Flyers squad. Ryder gets 4 mill, and we all know about him. Gionta got 5 mill last year coming off a 40 pt season, and wasn’t hitting his prime like Pleks is.

If we weren’t gonna sign him, we’d be in big trouble. I think alot of people forget just how useful he was overall last year.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

199. TripleX says:

TSN says deal is worth 30 million over six years.

HHOF should be embarrassed for disrespecting Pat Burns….what a joke!!

200. lavie says:

No. 14′s signing is very positive. $5M per is reasonable. I predicted $5.25M per during the regular season.

He wants to stay with us!

201. Bryan says:

Totally agree.  That’s embarrasing on the voters’ part.

202. andrewberkshire says:

Alright, you’re right about the first thing you said in the last comment then, I think you’re sexist. NHL players have had priority for the HHOF since it first existed, one year where two women go in instead of 3 men isn’t a big deal.

203. cautiousoptimist says:

More blue-sky GM-ing just because I’m missing hockey…

Someone’s going to have to score goals in Florida with Horton gone, and I don’t imagine free agents are lining up to play there.  I bet the Kostitsyns would look good on either side of Frolik, and we just might get a guy like Matthias for the two of them — especially since Florida has something like 8 centres signed.

They might even throw in a big strong plugger like Byron Bitz for an extra middle-end prospect (Stewart?) or low pick.  A beast like Bitz would be great on the Habs’ 4th line, and the fans in Boston loved him for being a gritty tank of a player.

1. http://www.flickeringpictures.com – not a hockey site, but still kinda neat
  204. ooder says:

very happy to finally see a homegrown product staying in MTL.

Pleks is JM type of palyer, a very hard worker and very responsible on both ends of the ice.

Good news :)

——————

205. SeriousFan09 says:

Load of crap, I bet there’s a half-dozen coachs in the HOF with fewer accomplishments than Pat.

206. hab_skill says:

Six year at 30 million is worth it. Even strength, PP and PK sounds good to me!

207. crabvader says:

The people complaining about Plek’s contract are the same people who would be pissing and moaning about it for years if he had gone to free agency.

208. jbroderi says:

i’ll be honest.  I don’t like the six year length.  I think in a few years, this may be another untradeable contract, but maybe not.  i liked 4 years at that price but i guess if you want the guy, you gotta give term!

209. TripleX says:

Price had a cap hit of 2.2 million, but his salary was lower since he did not meet all his bonus points.  The end result is a lower qualifying offer.

I am guessing all bonuses apply to the cap whether the player meets them or not.  Just get rid of the damn cap already.

210. mike g says:

Cheerios!

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

211. Harani says:

I;m frustrated with the people who believes that 5 million is too much. (you know what…if it were 4.5 milion, people would have still complained) I think by accepting the 5 million from the Habs, Pleks is taking a paycut. He scored 70 points in the regular season and played significant PK time and PP time all this while having to cope with dead man walking Andrei Kostitsyn. You people will be never satisfied!

“I gotta feeling…that tonight’s gonna be a good night!”

212. crabvader says:

I doubt Florida will be giving up any more scoring depth. Matthias is a blue-chip prospect for their organization and Florida is in huge trouble when it comes to scoring.

213. Dintrox says:

glad he islocked up long term. 5M/year is about what he would have got anywhere else.

December 4, 2009 – Elmer Lach’s jersey took its rightful place with the Rocket’s in the rafters.

214. jbroderi says:

right on!!  just like BG, PG is set up to fail, no matter what he does!

215. TripleX says:

I just found out Fred Shero is not in either.  WTF???

216. Bryan says:

I think $5 million is a tad much, but Montreal couldn’t afford to lose him, and you know a team like Calgary or Columbus would have paid him upwards of $6 million.  I’m happy with it.

217. CBrady12 says:

forget about the money and the stats for a minute and just be happy that he must have really want to stay here. It would have been very easy for him to go to free agency in 9 days and make more money, pay less taxes, play with less pressure, not have to put up with the excessive media, etc.

I think this signing shows Plekys great character and loyalty.

218. CBrady12 says:

Christ the complaining never stops.

219. Chris says:

Because women WERE stupidly excluded from day one from the Hockey Hall of Fame (and please note, not the NHL Hall of Fame) until this year, it was inevitable that when they did open the doors to women, there were going to be some good men excluded because of the 4 person per year cap as they try to redress the prior wrongs.

Angela James and Cammi Granato were pioneers in the sport of hockey and did more for the sport than the vast majority of the people already inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame:  they helped popularize a sport that had been ignored by 51% of the population prior to their efforts.

If the Hockey Hall of Fame REALLY gets its act together, than players like Sergei Makarov and Hakan Loob should also be getting in before some of the NHL’ers, as they have done more for the sport of hockey globally than a lot of the other candidates.

220. jbroderi says:

you make a really good point about zombie K..  If he, or someone else, can get to the net and work for space, Pleks can earn his paycheck.  Pleks has to play up to his contract though, 70 points is his base.  I think, as I said earlier, 75 to 80 points and I will love his contract.  We just need a chicago cap victim on his line to make some space and we will be set up front..

221. Bryan says:

Good point.  Plus, when was the last time a pending UFA actually decided to stay with us?

222. Caper says:

Habs with a 3-0 Pricey shutout. $10.00 bet.

223. Mike from Ktown says:

Love the sensible comments. There is lots of positives that can be taken out of this signing and you nailed a lot of them on the head. I fully agree with what you say.

224. Chuck says:

That sound you just heard was the other shoe dropping.

_____________________________________

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

225. Rugger says:

1. successful Coach in Montreal

2. successful coach in Boston

3. Leafs didn’t win the cup with him coaching

therefore 1 & 2 don’t count.

226. andrewberkshire says:

No, they don’t. The bonuses that weren’t hit apply to a bonus cushion for the cap of the following season, last year we had 1.977 million in bonus cushion cash that we could spend over the cap.

227. andrewberkshire says:

Couldn’t agree more with you here.

228. Rugger says:

In my view, Plec is at the top in chareacter, no one is harder on themselves to perform than him.  Glad to have him back long term, he will leave 70 points in the dust barring injuries to him or Cammy.

229. TripleX says:

I agree, character move by Pleks and congratulations are in order to PG for getting the deal done with free agency looming.

I still have doubts about PG but this shows he has negotiating skills.

230. andrewberkshire says:

It’s ancient history.

231. crabvader says:

For people who call Plekanec soft: How many games has he missed? I remember last year he missed a total of 2 for slew-footing Grebeshkov. He is NEVER injured.

He doesn’t get paid to hit people. He gets paid to produce.

On that note, how many times did he have revolving wingers this past season? He still managed to put up 70 points.

He killed penalties, wreaked havoc on Malkin and Crosby during the playoffs and played 106 games total this year with the Olympics and playoffs.

He may not be the most physical of players but WHO CARES! He put up 70 points and rebounded off a bad season! The season before he also had 69 points!

I mean, if you want to hold last season against him it doesn’t change the fact that he’s scored over 20 goals for the past 4 seasons now! And with the exception of 2008-2009, he’s a PLUS PLAYER!

Physical or not, that means he plays on the good side of the ice and produces more goals than he allows on his line.

You people that complain about him (and you are few, trust me) need to re-think your logic before you piss yourselves again over it.

232. B says:

They scored 9 less goals than Montreal last regular season.

233. bigjames says:

ouch, dec 23 game against the ‘canes. we all know what the habs record is on 23 dec right?

234. SmartDog says:

Even if he doens’t throw big hits, Plekanec plays a tough gritty game. he mixes it up when he has too and throws other players off their game.

He’s the only top-6 forwad in the NHL last year to lead his team in penalty minutes.  One of the best PK artists in the league.  And one of the top scroing centers in the league.

This is a solid, great signing. Other teams would be thrilled to have him.

And so should we.

235. SeriousFan09 says:

If Pleks could improve facoffs, he could contend for the Selke in the future.

236. andrewberkshire says:

Koivu and Kovalev a few years ago I suppose?

237. krob1000 says:

So far we have

Gomez (7.3), gio (5) and pouliot (1)

Pleks (5), cammi (6), andrei (3.3)

eller (1.3), moen (1.5) Laps (1.3)

pyatt (875), darche  (550)  white (850)

(Forward total of approx 34 million and we need one/two subs or signings PAcioretty? Maxwell? Moore and bumps omeone else down?FA? trade?

Markov(5.75)-Hammer(5.5)

Spacek(3.8) Subban (875k)

Gorges(1.1) Gill (2.25)

OB (950)

D total of (20.2 million)

Price (2.5), backup (1)

Surprisingly we are ok right now with wiggle room like Hammer, Andrei….Sergei.  There are possibilities and personally I would like to find a way to squeeze Moore back into the lineup.  We could even accomodate a Frolov signing or somethign along those lines with a little creativity if we preferred him over Andrei or we could deal for Sharp or a Hawks by packing someone if anyone is willing to gamble on the Kosty’s.  Hammer leaves room too……we may not be done yet after all.

We cold use one more legit top six  and if one or two of Eller, Pacioretty, Pouliot, Andrei or any of the other wildcard guys like Sergei (if they kept him around), Trotter, Enqvist,etc were to make the club then who knows where we could go with this lineup.  As seems to be the way of the new NHL success will depend once again onthe youth group…seems to be the key to the new NHL.

238. jbroderi says:

none of us are sure how PG will do, but he knows what he wants and he goes and gets it, which will create more success for him than someone who expects deasl to land on his lap!!

239. crabvader says:

He was one of the leading faceoff winners during the playoffs. He needs puck movers on the d-line who aren’t injured and consistent wingers.

240. cautiousoptimist says:

What’s all the whining about?  He’s a great homegrown talent who racks up points, eats up PK minutes and took a pay cut to stay here.  Seriously guys, reading some of the comments on here you’d think we just gave $30M to Pyatt.

1. http://www.flickeringpictures.com – not a hockey site, but still kinda neat
  241. HNS says:

Anyone here want to wager on the game against the blues on 3/10/11 ???  I’m taking the Blues on this one.

242. TripleX says:

Call me a sexist if you want, but with only three spots available in the player category every year for the HHOF, having two woman is not right.  Yes, woman have contributed to the game but it is men that have had the more overwhelming impact.  Is this a hockey decision or a politically correct one?

Denying Pat Burns a spot in the HHOF is just beyond disgusting and a black mark on the voters. I think the backlash will be immense, and is a controversy Pat and his family don’t deserve.

243. TripleX says:

Here are three of the players left out: Pavel Bure and Doug Gilmour and Eric Lindros.

How you can compare the accomplishments of any of these players with Granato in effectively a TWO team sport is laughable.

244. jbroderi says:

you are right.  3 spots for men, 1 for women and then the builders.

245. ed lopaz says:

from what I’ve heard it will be very difficult for M. Burns to make it to next year. that’s a real bad decision.

Are you people for real. People are talking about how the Habs must be a great team with a Stanley Cup just around the corner. I mean they made it
    the farthest since ’93 in the playoffs right? Problem is they made it deep due to the play of their netminder, whom they traded away.

They
    were not the 4th best team in the league they were the 19th best team.

I can’t
    believe you people. WOW. I am livid to think that this web site is so
    good at attracting people with IQ’s of jelly beans.

The Habs are
    not a good team. No good team blows itself up the way the Habs did last year.

No team trades their best player and MVP for two picks they could’ve had at the
    draft way back when.

This team as it stands looks like a draft
    lottery team and that’s about the only thing they\ve got going for them.

The
    Habs were thoroughly dominated in all but two maybe 3 games in 18 of
    the playoffs and you people are talking about another deep playoff run next season. Reality
    check please!!!

The Habs look like a draft lottery team.

Which is good news. So who are the top picks for 2011?

247. JIMVINNY says:

You were so proud of this infantile post that you had to re-post it at the top where everyone could see it?

Sad, man.  Really sad.

248. SeriousFan09 says:

Halak is the 09-10 Playoff MVP and regular season MVP only on the fact that Markov missed half the year. Andrei Markov remains the team’s best player and long-time MVP. Playoffs only happen because of what Markov does for the team each year.

In 2007, Schultz was overlooked in favour of Steve Quailer, 6’3″ winger who
    had a good freshman NCAA season, but had a torn ACL and missed his 2nd
    year, which is not anyone’s fault. We drafted a big winger and people
    still complain because he happened to get injured, it’s like griping Chipchura never came along after he had the achilles tendon injury.

Habs reorganized their core for playoff
    success, which it delivered on, and are now dealing with the issue that
    while they made it far with Halak, the way they made it far was a
    desperation play of rope-a-dope since they didn’t have the scoring
    elements to run with the opposition. So they go out looking for players
    to give us more scoring and counter opposition players like Hartnell and
    they are still criticized.

You want to talk Draft lottery, is there anyone on the Maple Loafs who can score besides Kessel? Bruins may just select Top 5 twice.

249. Smiss says:

I have an IQ of 140 and I think the Halak trade makes sense AND that the Habs are lining up a very competitive team for next season

This is my opinion and you are entitled to agree or disagree with it, and I can see quite a few reasons to be pissed off at the trade. But ever since it happened, you’ve been spending your time bashing HI/O posters that don’t agree with you as if you hold the ultimate truth. Get a life.

There’s no need for this bullcrap.

250. jbroderi says:

we have the right to our opinions, but just because your mother and father beat you as a kid, it doesn’t give you the right to throw insults around like a spoiled little brat.  No one here thinks that we are the best team in the league, and from what I read, everyone is saying what we need to do.  Get bigger up front, which is what we did when we shipped Halak off.

251. JIMVINNY says:

TSN reporting Pleks deal is done on a multi-year, 5 million per.

252. andrewberkshire says:

Plekanec is signed, and the HHOF snubs Pat Burns. I was happy when I saw the Pleks signing, but now I’m incredibly mad. How could they snub Burns?

Eller could be our 3rd line centre for the next two years but after that you would hope that he would jump to #2.  A possible four years of Pleks and Gomez makes for interesting decisions at centre.  Does this end the chance of Moore re-signing?

We’re now at 48.9M with 10 roster spots to fill.

254. petrov14 says:

Is $5Mil too much?

______________________________________ Gionta for Captain.

255. volcano62 says:

256. jbroderi says:

he needs to get at least 75 to 80 points per year for us, and if he does that, he contract is a good deal.  We need a big winger with him though to take the pressure off of him.  It is always him trying to retrieve the puck from the ugly areas and he gets wore down.  Let verteeg or bufflin or marleau do that!!

Plex is signed:

Xtrahabsfan is gonna be soooooo pissed!!! LOL

258. SmartDog says:

Plekanec signs!!!!

F-n AAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!   That’s my boy!  LOVE IT!

———————————————————–

259. TripleX says:

Three players added to HHOF and two are woman?

Ciccarelli, Granato and some other woman named  Angela James.

260. Chris says:

Angela James was a Canadian pioneer of women’s hockey.  Pretty impressive background, so that was a good solid pick.

Pat Burns not getting in is unfortunate…he really deserves it.

Little surprised to see Ciccarelli….I always though he belonged back in the day, but his numbers have been passed by so many players today that I thought he missed his chance.

261. MTLForever says:

he should not be getting paid that much, bad move.

262. jbroderi says:

last year had to be a stepping stone for him, not the pinnacle, or you are right.   He needs 75 to 80 points per year to earn that pay check, and hopefully we can get a big winger to help him out!!

263. volcano62 says:

I agree

264. SeriousFan09 says:

He scored 70 points in the regular season, sometimes playing with 4th-liners or just one good linemate. Took massive PK time for the squad and set up how many of our OT winners?

Pleks can best 70 easily if Cammalleri doesn’t miss 20 and Eller joins the team and performs well.

265. mike g says:

You say we need “bigger” guys….

Chicago’s top 6 forwards included 1 “big” guy in Byfuglien. That’s right, the Cup champs had 1 big guy out of their 6 top forwards….

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

266. crabvader says:

Go away.

267. Habsrule1 says:

You really think Ty Conklin is that good?

Go Habs Go!!

268. alestar says:

Glad we signed Pleks (I was sure he was a goner…), just hope he lives up to the paycheque…that’s a hefty cap hit.

Where does this put us now in terms of cap space?

XXIV…and counting

269. habitual says:

Mike B, Kevin Mio, et al:

Please don’t take this the wrong way, ’cause HIO is one pheonominal site and you guys do great work.  Honest.

But … can you pls explain how TSN keeps getting scoops you don’t.  I would think that TSN would be quoting breaking news about the Habs from HIO …

270. Bryan says:

TSN has two of the best insiders in the industry (McKenzie and Dreger).  Mio/Stubbs et al are just reporters.

271. Chris says:

The Gazette’s journalists kind of pride themselves on being journalists.  That means reporting facts.

If you want rumours and speculation, TSN or Sportsnet are your place.

I am perfectly okay with getting the whole story when it is finalized, as opposed to getting these “breaking news” snippets from the television stations.

272. SmartDog says:

For all the other roles Pleks plays, at around 5 million, anything over 65 pionts is worthwhile.

But his potential is 75ish…..   either way, bet he beats Gomer out again this year.

273. SeriousFan09 says:

I think if Gionta, Cammalleri both stay healthy and both lines get a good winger to work with the 4 vets, we could have a very interesting race for the top scorer between the two.

274. SmartDog says:

Yep.  Any ideas?

275. SmartDog says:

Yep.  Any ideas?

276. Chris says:

Sure…”Plekanec, you’d better earn it!”

277. MTLForever says:

We need bigger guys.

278. Mark C says:

I would think so, sliding Max back to centre on the fourth line might be the most cost-effective play. Just not sure if Moore makes sense in a limited role at his cost; too bad imo.

279. Rugger says:

Metro most likely gone rather than Moore.  Moore would be great on 3rd or 4th and as a fill in upon an injury to P or G.

280. andrewberkshire says:

I think Eller might start out on the wing in Montreal like he was in St. Louis, but as much as I like Moore, if he won’t sign for cheap then let Eller grow at center. In a couple years Gomez becomes very tradeable for a team that needs to hit the cap floor as his salary is actually lower.

281. krob1000 says:

If the scouting reports are at all accurate…he may be smart enough to play on our top six at the wing on either line…

282. TripleX says:

If you are correct about Markov, he deserves and would probably expect to be the highest paid Habs when contract extension time rolls around soon.

Can the Habs afford a 8 million dollar player?

283. SeriousFan09 says:

If extended, I think he’ll sign between 6.5-7 per year, he took a discount the last time he signed with MTL compared to what some other Ds around the NHL are making now and his new contract would kick in as Hamrlik’s comes off, a year after that Spacek’s goes away as PG would be working on the first extension of Subban as an RFA.

284. Chris says:

Do we subtract credibility from McKenzie and Dreger for all the countless times they get things completely wrong?

McKenzie and Dreger are just rumour mongers.  Report every rumour and you are bound to get some of them right.

Stubbs, Hickey et al. are reporters.  They are not in the business of reporting rumours.

285. TripleX says:

Have to hand it to Nick Kypreos as he had the story hours ago.

286. TripleX says:

Can’t agree with that statement.  McKenzie and Dreger are two of the most respected hockey guys in the business.

I seriously doubt the journalists on HIO share your opinion.

287. andrewberkshire says:

I disagree about McKenzie, he’s also a good commentator on the game and very knowledgeable. Dreger however is just a rumour monger.

288. SeriousFan09 says:

I really like Mckenzie, knows everything about the junior leagues that Mcguire does but talks about it without being horribly annoying in the process.

Always have a few twits in Montreal saying Mcguire should get the GM job, honestly I’d rather have Mckenzie our head of amateur scouting.

289. Chris says:

I’m not disputing they know a lot.  But they report everything they hear.  That is not journalism, it is relaying.

I just took offense with the comment about the Gazette guys being “just journalists”.

290. jbroderi says:

Agreed, MacKenzie is the one guy who’s opinion I look for.  Dreger is a good insider and finding out what is going on behind the scens, but old Bob has more hockey knowledge than Dregs.  Neither one is a rumor monger, that would be Eklund, Bruce Garrioch, etc..

291. SmartDog says:

5 QUESTIONS:

1. Darche – good signing or bad?  And in two words – why?

2. If Pleks is signed today long-term, how much per year?

3. Horton – did Gauthier hear a Who?  Were we even in the running?

4. Willl we hire a back-up or call one up?

5. Who leaves next?

292. TomNickle says:

Pat Quinn steps down!

293. TomNickle says:

1. Good- He Cares

2. 4 years, $20 million

3. We were in the running for Horton I think.  Have been rumoured to be for a long time.

4. Hire one–Turco if the price is right, no pun intended.

5. Sergei Kostitsyn, for the KHL.

294. Bryan says:

1.  Yes.  Forward depth.

2.  4.75

3. Doubt it.  We don’t have many assets to trade.

4.  Hire.

5. Hamrlik.

295. likehoy says:

1. bad: ATOI in playoffs was 2 minutes

2. 8 years 32 million

3. too expensive (top 4 dman, 15th overall pick…we don’t have those assets cause we have aging dmen)

4. hire ( biron is my choice)

5. MAB

296. TripleX says:

1.  not even worth quantifying as good or bad….no impact

2.  good question…for Pleks to abandon a lucrative free agency it must be high….so is it a Pleks for Halak…and what about cap space now

3.  doubt it….PG doesn’t even have a first round pick to trade and who does Boston want from Montreal

4.  back-up might too rich for Montreal now

5.  Moore is no longer in play if Pleks and Eller are on the team

ps  Edmonton has dumped Pat Quinn as coach

297. Rugger says:

1. good, 2. 4.8 per, 3. not at what the B’s gave up, too much, 4. Call up, 5. Metro by not signing, K’s by trade.

298. LesFleurs says:

1. For the price, it’s a good deal.
    2. 7 years 4.75 per year.
    3. No. We didn’t put ourselves in the running.
    4. Sanford will come up if we can’t get the right goalie for the right price.
    5. Carey Price via suicide.

299. SeriousFan09 says:

1. Good, won’t complain.

2. 4.5-5 per year.

3. Probably, but at the same time, JM was the coach/GM in Florida so perhaps he had a negative review or the Panthers simply weren’t looking for what Canadiens were offering.

4. Hire, Desjardins isn’t ready, Sanford I wouldn’t rely on him.

5. Kostitsyns.

300. 123456 says:

1) good. depth metro-gone

2) $4M

3) Yes. No.

4) Sanford

5) I hope Hammer only for cap relief – but that means a prospect will have to go with him.

301. HabFanSince72 says:

1. Meh.

2. $5M

3. Horton and Pleks have similar numbers. Why trade away  players and picks when you can sign Pleks for free.

4. Don’t know. Is Desjardins good enough?

5. Sergei.

302. andrewberkshire says:

Completely agree, Chris. I’ll take journalistic integrity over speedy reporting any day.

TSN’s final rankings for this week’s entry draft.

304. sholi2000.com says:

26. QUINTON HOWDEN

I refuse to stop posting this player until I see he is a Canadien or drafted by someone else.  hehe

They Call Me Shane

305. SmartDog says:

LOL

306. The Cat says:

With Gomez though, the habs dont really need Plekanec. One of the top 2 centres has to have a physical presence. Habs should try and make it happen.

307. SmartDog says:

I have this idea in my head that Pleks is a very honest person.  That saying he wanted to stay in Montreal means he meant it.  And that if the deal is half reasonable – something approaching 5 million for the lenght he wants – he will stay.

He also seems the kind of pesron to put some things over money.  Montreal has a nice European feel.  I think he likes it there.  I hope I am right.

308. TripleX says:

OMG….MAB undergoes foot surgery on Wednesday. Apparently he suffered the injury in game one of the playoffs.

309. TomNickle says:

I would really love to see a headline that we’ve acquired Brent Burns from the Minnesota Wild in exchange for Andrei Kostitsyn, Sergei Kostitsyn and a 3rd round pick in next year’s draft.

He is available according to reports.

310. SeriousFan09 says:

We’d have to dump Hamrlik to deal with that. I like his numbers though, would be a nice pick-up to bring in a youth factor on D.

311. ABHabsfan says:

I like the sounds of that deal. Burns can also play forward as it may get a little crowded at the d-end of the bench. Imagine the wraparound capabilities of the Wild though! Let’s make the calls, get this done.

312. likehoy says:

how is it that we make it to the ECF and end up with pick 27, whereas the bruins came 1 game away from the ECF and still get pick 15??

bush league rules

313. TomNickle says:

You want fair?

The Pittsburgh Penguins intentionally tanked for 10 years and got how many top 3 draft picks?

The Detroit Red Wings who have done business the right way for longer than that have been picking at the bottom for that same time.

Teams who don’t try to win shouldn’t be rewarded like that and it is a flaw in the league.

It will not change however but if the league’s intention is to create competitive balance in the league, it’s the wrong way.

The bottom feeders will never pay their superstars(Columbus notwithstanding).

314. Bryan says:

Darche is going to play in Hamilton. Give it a rest.

315. SmartDog says:

Another question…

Of Darche, Moore, Pyatt… if we were to sign 1 or 2 which 1 or 2 should it be?  (Ignore that Darche is signed.)

316. Bryan says:

Pyatt and Moore.

317. SeriousFan09 says:

Moore and Pyatt.

318. petrov14 says:

Moore, Pyatt

______________________________________ Gionta for Captain.

319. nickster13 says:

How much do you wanna bet that Gauthier will not resign moore and end up keeping Darche, I feel gauthier is that kind of GM

320. adam76 says:

don cherry?

321. SeriousFan09 says:

Just because a few MTL pharmacists are paying me off so they can move more blood pressure medication, Carey Price for the 2nd year in a row wins “Play of the Year” at Canadiens.com for this save against the Atlanta Thrashers.

322. adam76 says:

he was an all star, don’t you know?

323. alestar says:

Worst video…is that taken with a phone camera?

XXIV…and counting

324. Mark C says:

This Horton deal is a pretty good one from the B’s point of view. Wideman’s play ranged from horrid-to-OK last year. Giving up the 15th pick hurts some, but Horton really helps them next year, whereas pick #15 won’t help for years. Also, the B’s had extra D-men so they were dealing from a position of strength.

325. HabFanSince72 says:

Horton is much better than a 15th pick, and Wideman is not very good. You can get a player of Wideman’s caliber on the UFA market anyhow.

Tallon got screwed.

326. nickster13 says:

oh the irony lol darche is signed

327. Storm Man says:

Your coming around…..

328. SeriousFan09 says:

Except Horton has been called enigmatic, their other 30-goal guy Ryder is on/off and they just dealt one of their Top-4 defencemen, so potentially weaker D, two scoring forwards that are unreliable and oh yeah, Thomas riding the pine costing them 5 million a year.

329. PrimeTime says:

Oh why couldn’t we get Horton? Boo-hoo.

(And
    tomorrow, some other guy will go some to some other place) Oh, why
    couldn’t we get that guy? Boo-hoo.

(And day after, some other goof
    will get signed by some other clowns) Oh, why couldn’t we get THAT guy?
    Boo-hoo-hoo.

Cuz we can’t have 67 players on the dang team,
    that’s why!

Jeez, every time, every player gets signed or traded
    “Oh, why couldn’t WE get him, boo-hoo-hoo, our management sucks…”
    Pathetic. Pull yourselves together, please.

Horton? I mean,
    Horton? Really? That’s the solution to all our problems? Horton?

Ferpetessakes…

Keepin
    it real, I be chillin as

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Brotha to the Man
    with the Plan, Product-runnin Lead Houndogg with the Voodoo Flannel
    Posse, and Pimp Extraordinaire of Habsbros Mama Jones Snow Cones,
    muthafugga: http://habsbros.blogspot.com

“People build teams in certain ways. I’ve always traded for futures – not pasts.” – Sam Pollock

The reason we are Hab fans http://www.habsworld.net/article.php?id=1476

330. TomNickle says:

In my opinion dumping Hamrlik is the most important thing that should be on Gauthier’s to do list.

At Burns’ cap hit, he’s a dream.

331. ed lopaz says:

why would minnesota give up a Team Canada type defenceman in a deal that involved the tits sisters?

I think you’re dreaming big time here, Tom.

Ak (big but saggy Tits) is worth a 4th round pick today – he stinks of cheap vodka on a good day

SK (small Tits) is worth a bag of pucks and maybe “future considerations”, which could be a steak at the Keg

I mentioned before that gauthier “looked like” Mr. Burns from the Simpsons – maybe that’s where you got confused????

332. TomNickle says:

He’s fallen out of favour in Minnesota Ed and they’ve made it no secret that they’re desperate for scoring.

Other teams may also be in a better position to offer assets up for him.

I might be dreaming though.

333. ed lopaz says:

I take your deal in heart beat. but then, what do I know?
    I’ve already been called out for the stupidest post of the week, and I’ve got another guy down below claiming that I’m not a habs fan (haven’t done much else but be a Habs fan for the last 30 years)because I think Plekanec would be an idiot to sign before he sees the other deals on the table.???? I’ve had better days as an HIO poster, that’s for darn sure.

334. TomNickle says:

I just know that entering the season relying on Andrei Kostitsyn, Benoit Pouliot and Roman Hamrlik to be your physical scoring presences and #1 two way defenseman is a bigger mistake than trading Jaro Halak or letting Pleks go to free agency could ever be.  Especially keeping Hamrlik.

335. SLONCOLD says:

in fairness the pens had no money to put a roster together… bad finances and management caused them to tank. i don’t think they did it on purpose.

336. TomNickle says:

Right but they had no money because they drove the salaries of players through the roof in the early nineties.

First team to have a player payroll of $20 million or more.

Man times have changed.

Also, one could argue that they didn’t make money because they didn’t put a good team on the ice.

The second they did, the fans came back, much like Chicago.

337. Jon Hackett says:

Exciting! I think it’ll be a good game. Players play better when they have a personal rivalry.

338. Mark C says:

If Skinner is still around at 15, then maybe it changes my feelings on this deal. Horton now slides onto the first line with Savard and seems a lock to become a 30 goal scorer. Great deal for the B’s in imo.

339. jbroderi says:

is the rest of the schedule up??

Ellar pulls off the hat trick in that one!!!

price with a shut out

340. Price_31 says:

December is gonna be tough. 7-game road trip and 3 back-to-backs.

341. Thomas Le Fan says:

Ask yourselves if you’d be happier with a Price shutout and Eller hat trick or a St. Louis win with Halak playing brilliantly. Then either go pull for the Blues or let’s move on. Go Habs!

342. mike g says:

Hows a 2-0 Habs win, with Eller scoring in the 3rd with 2 minutes left, and then popping one in the empty net?

Sounds nice to me…

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

343. mike g says:

Congratulations to the NHL….

Once again they’ve managed to screw up something, this time it’s a bad schedule for the 55th straight time.

How can they logically explain 6 road games in 12 days, going from Colorado to Texas, then to the upper east coast, then down to Florida?

How the heck does that make any sense at all?

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

344. SeriousFan09 says:

Given the broadcasting standards of the Atlanta home arena, very possible.

345. doug says:

I’m tired of this start and finish with Toronto stuff.  It disadvantages the teams to have to play them, even if it makes for good theatre.  I’d prefer they not stick to the same thing every time, and don’t see every team having to deal with this extra bit of pressure.

346. avatar_58 says:

Let’s be honest here – the rivalry is in FANS heads, not the players. I sincerly doubt cammalleri has a hate-on for Phaneuf, or Gomez for Grabovski. There can’t be a true rivalry unless the teams out and out hate one another and have met in key situations over and over. Like the playoffs. Right now our team is still brand new, and the biggest rivals are now Washington and Pittsburgh. NOT the leafs or bruins. Who cares about those two.

347. RGM says:

Darn – they’re on the road for the last game of the year. I was hoping to do the birthday trip to see them whoop the Leafs.

—– “Come on, let’s keep a little optimism here.” — Han Solo, Return of the Jedi

348. HFX-HabFan says:

Although Gauthier was the one who shelled out a second round pick for Moore.  You’ve got to think he at least will try to retain him.

349. nickster13 says:

ive come to expect anything. abandon all logic!!!!! Prove me wrong Gauthier! make me believe this team has a direction..

350. Bred says:

Feb 20th game in Calgary is the Heritage Classic, outside.

Ugh. I’m not liking this sched.