Canadiens turn out for optional skate

AUDIO: Jacques Martin | Claude Julien I and II (on Tim Thomas) | Tim Thomas | Michael Ryder

The Canadiens had an optional morning skate but only a handful of veterans opted for a rest. Scott Gomez, Brian Gionta and Tomas Plekanec were players who decided to rest up for tonight’s game against the Bruins.

Defencemn James Wisniewski, who has missed the past two games with strep throat, skated and is expected to start tonight. That means Alexandre Picard will watch from the press box. Carey Price will start in goal.

Highly touted Briuins rookie Tyler Seguin, the No. 2 overall pick in last June’s draft, will be the healthy scratch for the Bruins as Boston takes a look at rookie Zach Hamill on the third line. Quebecer Jordan Caron, who was recalled from Providence Monday, will play on the fourth line with Shawn Thornton and Gregory Campbell,

1. Habhopeful says:

RFA, so a no go in that regard,

“I went to see a fight the other night…And A hockey game broke out!” ~Rodney Dangerfield~

2. ManApart says:

That was actually pretty funny.

3. ManApart says:

Many experts and GM’s said they thought PG could have gotten more for Halak. PG didn’t even make any teams in the league aware Halak was on the block. How do you know, what the market could have been if there was never an attempt to create one? You think you know what you are saying, yet are speaking from ignorance. PG wanted Eller and didn’t bother to see what another team may have offered. He was so desperate to keep things quiet, he didn’t take advantage of Halak’s amazing playoff run by creating an auction. Wasn’t Mike Smith the central piece to the Brad Richards trade a few years ago? Maybe if dumbass PG would have tried, he could have gotten more.

AS for Grabo, regardless of why he was traded, the Leafs still got a steal in the trade. it doesn’t change that fact.

4. habs03 says:

This is everything I hate about being a fan of the Habs, we have so many so called “fans” that talk so much yet know so little. Sometimes I wish I was fan smaller market teams, at least that why I know the people that follow the team are a bit more knowledge.  Please don’t take it personal, but you leave out the context of the trade, the Habs were coming off finish 1st in the East, Grabo proved he was not a team player, Gainey trade him for 2nd and traded that pick to get Robert Lang, going into the year we had Pleck, Captain K, and Lang down the middle, and some even viewed our lineup one of the deepest in the league, We were 2nd in the East I believe when we got hit by serious injury and lead to our down fall. And also Grabovski got 2 years to play top line minutes making mistake after mistake because the Leafs sucked so much, before this season, Leaf fans were dying to get rid of him. As for the old they got robbed on the Halak trade, go look at the goalie market and recent goalie trade, Tim Thomas could have been had for almost free this offseason, Kari Lehtonen who was drafted 2nd overall was trade for a single decent prospect.

5. Storm Man says:

The only one who lives in a pretend world is you btw. 99 percent of the stuff you post on here is lazy emotional diarrhea. You’re problem is that you have a diseases and it is called H.A.T.E.R.S having anger towards everyone reaching success.

6. Bugs says:

If Burkie gets his top draft pick back from Beanerville for Kaberle, does the pressure on Kessel drop?

7. ManApart says:

5 years ago maybe. Not today.

8. Hobie Hansen says:

Leafs didn’t steal him, Gainey didn’t want him…He’s a decent player now but at the time he was a little rat.

“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf” – George Orwell

9. StevieRay says:

as the yongsters say ” sick ”
    Have a Blast !

10. TomNickle says:

Didn’t he break his hand in a bar fight last year during the Olympic break?  If you’re looking for comparisons James that’s fine.  But you might want to avoid Plekanec.  Plekanec and the rest of this team are asked to be responsible defensively on top of their offensive production, that team(Leafs) wouldn’t know defense if it slapped them in the face.

11. Storm Man says:

I would think he gets plane tickets also. If not 2 days non stop I would think.

12. andrewberkshire says:

HOLY CRAP!! Congratulations dude!

13. andrewberkshire says:

Ferguson or Fletcher, but it wasn’t Burke.

14. TomNickle says:

I like our team, I like it going forward with possibly the most stocked cupboard other than the Kings in the league and I like that we have a centreman, defenseman and goalie to build around.  I don’t like that this team will need two more full seasons before it can compete for a championship.  It basically gives the team a one year window to win with Gomez, Gionta and Cammalleri.  After that, I hope that Eller, Leblanc and Tinordi are ready to be important pieces of the team because we’ll need them to be.

15. ed lopaz says:

I agree – they are along way off.

Habs lose Markov, Gorges and Cammy and still keep winning.

Leafs can’t seem to win no matter what combination of players they bring in.

I will be pleased for a tie 1st period. Then we can take it to them. Stay out of the box, skate and fore check = 2 points. Another 1 goal win.!

17. christophor says:

Not only will they make the playoffs, they’ll sit comfortably at 6th.

Ok.

18. Say Ash says:

The next contestant on “Where the Hell Am I?” is Alex Tanguay – out indefnitely with a concussion.

19. fbkj says:

anybody else have the tsn tradecenter app for iphone, if so, is that not the most epic push notification?

20. christophor says:

with two on base.

21. TomNickle says:

Burke just hit a homerun.

22. nick says:

Haven’t gotten it yet… what happens?

23. Storm Man says:

The song is something from the 70’s

24. TheDagger says:

JUST WON 10 TIX TO THE HERITAGE CLASSIC!!!!!!! PLUS LIMO RIDE! It’s a gooooood day!!!!! GO HABS GO!!

25. observer says:

Now  that Burke is applying the finishing touches for this season, be careful what you wish for when you hope the Habs catch and beat Boston for the #3 Eastern seed. WHICH means they would then be forced to face the red-hot Leafs in the first round of the playoffs.

26. Rudy says:

The idea that the Leafs could make it into the playoffs????????? BAHAHAHAHA

“Start the season with a clean equipment bag and a freah bucket of febreze!”-CharlieHodgeFan

27. TomNickle says:

If Gauthier could’ve given up Hamrlik for that same package I’m a very sad man today.

28. Storm Man says:

You must be handing out alot of kool-aid today.

29. ed lopaz says:

Tom, are you allowed to post something positive about Burke on this site??

I thought that was taboo.

30. arcosenate says:

WOW!!!!!

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!

31. ed lopaz says:

when markov went down, Martin crowned Hamrlik our number 1 d-man.

does that answer your post why Gauthier would not have given up Hamrlik in that (OR ANY!!!) deal.

32. ManApart says:

Burke finally makes a smart move. Aside from signing MacCarther and stealing Grabovski from ‘ol Gainey, those have been in short supply. Hope Gauthier can get a top 6 forward, because otherwise it will be goodnight Charlie come playoff time. He should have done that for Halak, but took after his buddy ‘ol Gainey and got robbed. Well miracles can happen.

33. fbkj says:

its the espn/tsn jingle

34. TomNickle says:

Oh don’t get me wrong Ed, that trade doesn’t really make them a better team today.  Until they ship off three more of those defensemen they have now and add a skilled centreman and competent goaltender they shouldn’t even be thinking about the playoffs.  But sending an unbelievably overrated Beauchemin to the Western Conference for Lupul, a good prospect and a pick is a victory at the least.

35. fbkj says:

just DL it 😀

36. fbkj says:

i like your style, the opposite always happens whenever you type, so please bud, giv’er

37. RGM says:

The idiot Matt Cooke suspended 4 games. http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=353101

38. Storm Man says:

You need a nap. and to think you spend you’re free time doing this. Seriously.

Question—Trade deadline date is ?

40. TomNickle says:

Didn’t Ferguson make that Grabovski deal?

41. christophor says:

Surprisingly, Beauchemin is only 30 and his sub-4mill cap hit until the end of next year is manageable.

Pretty much the same as Spacek’s contract but more than half a decade younger.

Hammer or Spacek wouldn’t have done it. Maybe if Weber were thrown in.

But who knows because Burke pulled a fleece-job for sure.

42. Chuck says:

That’s about 16 too short.

43. Propwash says:

Wow, Burke makes a move……

In other news….

44. andrewberkshire says:

I appreciate his talent, but I wouldn’t want him back. The player on the Leafs who I would like to see on our team is Kulemin. Perhaps Toronto’s best all around forward, and starting to break out offensively.

45. habbs9 says:

Habs win it tonight 3-1

46. MTLForever says:

I bought tickets this morning for the Carey Price signing and charity auction (feb 25). I am pretty excited. Game on the 24, meeting players one the 25. Gunna be a good trip!!!

47. TheDagger says:

Oh, I guess I didn’t update my profile. I made the unfortunate trek west from NS and now live in Calgary, ugh. But it’s working out for me for this!!

48. ed lopaz says:

Eller and Leblanc are gritty, smart, talented players. I have no doubts about them.

Tinordi has all the tools – big, strong, mean and also great leadership.

I would be shocked if any of those 3 you listed did not pan out – shocked.

Best surprise for me: Paccioretty!!

I always liked him for his size and speed combination.

But he is quickly becoming an excellent power forward by NHL standards – and that’s excellent news for the Habs.

Taking it to the net strong and determined, staying in front of the net and causing all kinds of havoc – and hitting along the wall – hard.

49. Storm Man says:

I know what it is. Sounds like some 70’s disco tune.

50. RGM says:

February 28th.

Thanks Peter!

52. Cool Ice Price says:

Alrighty then, Gomez, Gionta & Plekanec should be well rested. They should be good for a goal each tonight!

53. JD_ says:

Ouch. I’m stretchin’ it, but an argument for even a straight-up Beauchemin for Gardiner could be made. On paper, Burkie won this one. Another Loafs-Ducks trade with all sorts of alterior motives.

Accordin’ to the principle that if A>B, and B>C, then A>C, you’d think Boston could head into Anaheim and swap Ryder for Getzlaf.

Loafs still suk.