Canadiens skate in San Jose, fly to L.A., Markov still MIA

Markov
Pat Hickey checks in from an optional practice in San Jose.
Mike Cammalleri, Erik Cole, Tomas Plekanec, Andrei Kostitsyn, Brian Gionta, Josh Gorges and Hal Gill blew it off.
P.K. Subban left practice early

No word from the Canadiens on Andrei Markov.

Renaud Lavoie’s take.

Mario Tremblay weighs in

Markov will not play against the Kings on Saturday afternoon.

The team arrived in Los Angeles at about 6 p.m. Montreal time.

AUDIO of Jacques Martin, Raphael Diaz

Here is a pretty interesting Marketing idea which Tampa Bay are using to promote the team amongst season ticket holders.

2. cdhc says:

A leaf fan can post here just like anyone. However, stats can be stated in just about any way you want to make a certain case. I think Habs fans snobbery is more than warranted no matter how you want to roll the statistical dice.
    Why are we getting all upset about Markov? How about we wait until we know if he’s coming back this year before we pull the plug on management, the season, the future, life as we know it? Chill out people! We are 25 games in. Tons of season left. All those guessing what it will take to make the playoffs point wise – why bother? This year is another year, 85 points may do it and then it’s anybody’s for grabs. Look at all the teams close to 500. Its way too early to speculate on how far a reach the playoffs are. Chill out people.

And here I thought our Goalie was one of our good young building blocks. Team is much worse off than i thought now that I have found out Price is one of the problems.

4. Habs-royalty says:

pretty amazing that we are still in the picture.
    At one point 1 or 2 of the bubble teams will have a streak for separation . Come on boys , win 2 – lose 1 in the next 15 games to hang in there

Wash and MTL should switch places with buff an ott, florida might be in the mix too
    __________________________________________
    05-05-2 after 12 for 12 , checked
    10-11-5 after 26 for 25 , checked
    19-16-6 after 41 for 44
    31-23-8 after 62 for 69
    42-31-9 after 82 for 93

5. AceMagnum says:

Mats Sundin is so ugly

6. Marc10 says:

I thought it was peculiar when a St Louis fan trolled our site. Then mildly annoying when that Bruin guy showed up during the first round last year… but this has to be a new low. Laff Nation in da house! Ugh. From that soulless armpit of Canada…

I knew things were bad, but when those jokers are feeling brave enough to venture past the TSN and CBC forums… you know the Mayans were right and we’re all screwed!

7. Leafy says:

Fact:
    The Habs simply are not as good as many of you seem to think, nor have they been for many years.

Even with the Leafs not making the playoffs since the lockout, the Habs have had so many poor seasons over the past couple decades they measure up just about evenly with the leafs over that period.

Before the lockout, the Leafs were quite a lot better than the Habs, both in the regular season and in the playoffs. That lasted for about a decade.

The big kick in the stomach to Habs fans now has to be this: The Leafs are well into what is by all accounts a significant and successful restructuring, whereas the Habs are currently staring over the edge of a very high cliff. When will they realize how long they have to fall before biting the bullet?

Sorry guys, but take it from a Leafs fan who hasn’t had a decent team since 2005 and is only now starting to see the results of a rebuild in it’s third year. It sucks to be you and you’ve got even longer to go now than I do. Too bad, cuz I was hoping to have a chance to meet you in the playoffs so we could finally get revenge for that 1993 cup we deserved that you pulled out of your butts!

More Facts:
    Leafs/Habs Last 20yrs
    ————————————-
    1. Avg Pts: MTL 78.1, TOR 77.2
    2. Standings: 10 years TOR finished above MTL & vice versa
    3. MTL missed playoffs or lost in first round 12 years of last 20
    4. Leafs reached conference final 4x times in last 15 yrs
    5. Habs reached conference final 1x time in last 18yrs

Your snobbery towards the Leafs really has not been warranted since before the invention of CD’s, the Internet, and cell phones.

• kempie says:

You tell em Leafy.

• slychard says:

you are a F head. I will remembr you TO rooter

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
        Kiss my hAbSS!!!

• Da Hema says:

Don’t you think you may perhaps be getting a little carried away with things over your past few posts? This site is called “Hockey Inside/Out.” That means the site will have posters who are not necessarily fans of the Montreal Canadiens. Settle down, ok?

• Habsolutely says:

you’re pathetic. get back to us when the Make Beliefs have actually done something.

• Habsolutely says:

Out of all your stupid, idiotic comments you’ve made here leaf troll, this one has to be my favorite:

“Quit your moaning about CBC, Don Cherry and Coach’s Corner– you’re going to the playoffs people! Besides, the show is for us, not for YOU. You live in the wrong province. Don’t you know your history? Leafs = Canada, Habs = Quebec. Learn french and go watch your own telecasts. “Oh my, it’s a national telecast, and my tax dollars pays for…”, SHUT UP! More tax dollars are siphoned from the ROC and sent to Quebec than every other province combined, times 10 so shhhhhhhh, quiet. Turn off the volume do your own play-by-play.”

pathetic.

• slychard says:

Fact, the hab fans don’t give a s@it about a leaf’s fan’s opinion.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
      Kiss my hAbSS!!!

• slychard says:

What a waste, a waste, when I played I was told to sit back as a frog, I killed, I’ll kill again. douche bag!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
      Kiss my hAbSS!!!

• Jim Edson says:

There’s only one stat that counts: Cup Wins!

Coulda, shoulda , woulda mean diddly.

Typical Pension Plan Puppet clinging on hopes, prayers and meaningless stats.

Pathetic!

———————————————————————-

Who am I: Barak Obama or Gary Bettman.

• The Dude says:

Leafy,thanks for letting us know that when you have the right G.M. AND Coach all ya need is about 3 years,good luck with the Leafs .

• G-Man says:

Fact: Leaf fans have been delusional since 1967, a long head start on Hab fans (1993).

• So your point is that the weakest 20 year section in Habs history is still stronger than the Leafs on average. Great argument!

______________________________

• bajd says:

If you look at the last 15-16 seasons, I think the Canadiens have finished between 6th and 11th in the conference every season but one. Since the Cup run, they’ve only had 1 deep run in 18yrs. Some organizations like the Devils, Wings and Flyers are good to excellent nearly every year for decades, others like the Panthers and Islanders are the opposite, the Canadiens are nearly unique in this league in that despite making many changes year to year, their positioning generally remains perfectly average for an extremely long period. I can understand incompetence, I can understand excellence but for an organization to be merely ordinary for nearly 20yrs is a bit of a puzzler. I wonder if Gauthier has a Successory print in his office that says, today I will do the common, I will strive to do what others have done, I will stop long enough for others to catch up and I will put my faith in the flip of coin

• gumper says:

Truth be told, Leafy, most of us here are not as delusional as you portray us. Amongst supporters of the Habs, and I suspect, the Leafs, there are those who loudly and obnoxiously bray every time the opponent stumbles or meets some misfortune. Most of us see reality with a little more clarity. The Habs are perennially a couple of elite players away from being true competitors, and the Leafs, probably, are in that same position in this, their first decent year in five or six. The fact of the matter is that this once great rivalry has been reduced to a competition to see which team will rise beyond mediocrity first. Admittedly, it looks like your team has the edge right now, but perhaps you will admit that even the surging Leafs are only a couple of key longterm injuries or prolonged scoring droughts away from missing a playoff berth. And stepping from the category of “competitive” into the category of “contender” is no easy matter. Both our teams are well aware of that. I do agree though, that the past 18 years for the Habs have not yielded much, and old Habs fans like myself find themselves wondering not when, but if this once-great franchise will ever stumble its way back to another Stanley Cup. Anyway, thanks for the data. None of it’s a surprise, however. And bonne chance going forward.

• 365fan says:

The Leafs did do better in the dead puck era of 95 to 04, as they were specialists in the Cave Man Hockey of clutching and grabbing.

As for 93, we did our part by showing up in the finals for the rumble with the leafs. The buds couldn’t hold up their end of the bargain by beating a team with Kelly Hrudey in net and Barry Melrose coaching. LOL

8. keepthefaith says:

What’s this? The see how many times you can say speculation thread?

9. Habby says:

Can we say our troubles on this trip are because Patches is gone? We struggled (not as badly but still) after he was injured in March. You have to wonder what a difference he makes. At least, I think we might’ve won yesterday had been in our line up.

The drive for 25 is alive!

10. RiverviewCanadien says:

Markov is a better hockey player than people here are giving him credit for. Think about it, a bum knee, re-injured and missed a whole season. You have surgery to correct it. You would take your time as well.

Andrei is a VERY good defenceman. As a fan, I know he is a long term investment, and he is that good, that important to this team. Completely new complex with him in the lineup.

And no news is BIG news…at least in Montréal. You would think people would understand the scrutiny this team goes through by now.

EDIT: From the sounds of this http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=604434&navid=DL|MTL|home

Nobody has given up on anything.

• Trisomy 21 says:

I’m a Markov fan too but you can’t assume he’ll come back and be the elite defenseman he was 3 years ago

• RiverviewCanadien says:

Why can’t he be, because he is not back right now? Because the team needs him now?

Markov at 85% makes this team MUCH better. He will play again, fans will cheer him on again. And why are folks thinking he will never be 100% ever again?

• Trisomy 21 says:

Well I wouldn’t say he can’t be because he’s not back right now. I mean because of how much time he’s missed and the possibility of his mobility being hindered. Other than that you and Din have a good point

• Dintrox says:

I guess I hope that Markov returns at a level he was before. He Even if he comes back at 85% he will be better than what we have now. I think back to Serge Savard who missed most of two seasons with badly broken legs and came back. he wasn’t the same player but he was effective. He played 9 more seasons in the CH and added 5 more stanleys to his cup total. He adapted his game from a rushing D man to more stay at home style.

11. Toe Blake says:

The problem is that this team is unwatchable. The Marx brothers would draw more dead than these guys!

12. montreal ace says:

If the Habs are not getting salary cap relief because of Markovs injury, somebody is doing something stupid. I see lots of posters talking about paying him for 3 years, if he cant play, his salary is insured so we can acquire someone else.

• Trisomy 21 says:

The problem with that is that the GM was under the impression at the beginning of the season that Markov would be ready, we still don’t know when he’ll be back. So we never really know if we can get away with signing a $5 mill player, and for how long either.

• montreal ace says:

Trisomy it would seem to me that the injury claim would be retroactive. It does not make sense to me that the Habs are paying him at the moment, he was injured last year, nobody said he was cleared to play officially. I know if I got hurt on the job nobody stops my claim till I start working again. My point is that every game he has not played this year should be cap relief.

• Trisomy 21 says:

But my point is that it’s kind of late to get that $5 M player now, in Dec. Even if we traded for one now, what if Markov came back in Feb? then we wouldn’t have cap space for both, would we? I might be wrong on that I don’t know the details of salaries and cap space that well.

• Chuck says:

You don’t get cap relief while the player is on LTIR; instead, you get to replace that amount of salary, and if necessary, you’re allowed to go over the cap to do it.

Once the player comes back from LTIR, you then have to clear off any extra cap money that takes you over the limit.

As far as the player being paid wile injured, yes, he still collects his paycheque. He’s still a part of the team and is being paid to rehab and to get back into playing condition. It’s for this reason that contracts are insured.

• montreal ace says:

Thanks Chuck for answering the questions about the cap. I really want Markov to come back and play well, and I think it speaks well of the Habs that they stand by him. I am sure that there are players around the league that are noticing that the Habs take care of their own.

13. Da Hema says:

I wish Markov were playing. The fact he is not playing, and appears no where near returning at any point soon, indicates to me his career is likely over. If Markov misses this season, it will be almost a full three years where he wasn’t playing elite-level hockey. Markov has been a fine defenceman, but no one can return and perform at NHL level after missing that many seasons.

• slychard says:

Aw Jeez! That’s all I have to say. Glass half full…of piss!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
      Kiss my hAbSS!!!

• Da Hema says:

Sorry. But I see this whole Markov affair as a distraction now. Hopefully I am proved wrong, but this is looking more and more like Markov’s knee simply cannot hold up to the rigors of professional sport.

• Chuck says:

Mario Lemieux.

• It would be almost 2 years, not 3. Markov played more than half of 2009-10.

______________________________

• Da Hema says:

I still doubt Markov can be even remotely what he was before his injury. Again, I hope I am wrong, but I think the folks here anxiously awaiting Markov’s return to rescue the Canadiens will be very disappointed.

• It’s not about rescue, it’s about tipping the scales. Last night the team played with 13 of it’s top 19 players. The injury situation is ridiculous. There’s $20M in cap space on the shelf and we have players like St. Denis playing who’s about 14th on the defensive depth chart. Even if Markov goes from a 60 point player to a 40 point player, do you not think he would be significantly better than Diaz?

As for him not coming back the same, that’s entirely speculation on your part that isn’t corroborated by similar situations. James Wisniewski had several major knee reconstructions, very similar to Markov, and he’s fine. Lots of other players have as well.

______________________________

• Da Hema says:

I hope you are right Andrew. But you are “entirely speculating” too.

• Please find where I speculated because nothing I said was speculation.

______________________________

• Da Hema says:

Andrew: To speculate is to ponder upon a subject. We were both speculating. To compare the outcome of Wisniewski’s knee surgery to Markov’s case is to speculate. You don’t know that for certain. That’s speculation.

• RiverviewCanadien says:

I believe Andrew was comparing, not speculating.

And when COMPARING Wisniewski to Markov, I like our chances.

• I didn’t suggest a conclusion, only said that yours was speculation without evidence. So I’m not speculating. The problem we’re having here is that you’re seeing the situation as far more grave than it actually is. I think this is obvious from your original comment when you said Markov would be 3 years removed instead of 2. Nevermind that it’s only been 1 year and 26 games as it goes right now. You’re making massive assumptions on the negative side and hyperbolizing your numbers in order to reinforce your negativity.

Just take a step back. Recovery time for the surgery Markov had was listed at 10-14 months when it was done. It’ll be 12 months in about a week I believe. The Canadiens are clearly being very conservative with his recovery in order to maximize their asset over the 3 year deal he just signed. Just because Gauthier was overconfident that Markov would be ready sooner than later doesn’t mean that his career is in jeopardy. In fact if you listen to the players who’ve been practicing with him for a few weeks, sounds like he’s the same old Markov.

______________________________

• Da Hema says:

Unless I am mistaken about Andrew’s meaning, he compared Wisniewski’s outcome to Markov’s, and then concluded that the cases are “very similar.” Fair enough. But unless Andrew was the one scoping Markov’s knee, he is still speculating the two cases are comparable. So he is, after all, speculating.

• RiverviewCanadien says:

He saw surgeons, that make the one who did my knee surgery last year look like a blacksmith and my guy comes from Montréal :P

My knee is pretty damn good (despite years of bmxing/skateboarding/snowboarding/hockey/golf, etc), and I don’t train like a professional athlete, although my daughters are probably tougher on me than Hunter is on Semin right now.

Point is, if Markov even thinks that something may “feel different” during any phase of his rehab, he will pause, understand what it is, and progress accordingly.

I am NOT worried about Markov. This publicity stunt was all to take heat away from Gomez ;)

• Da Hema says:

I think we have found a way over this maximum number of post thing! I hope you and Andrew are right about Markov. And it is good to hear Andrew’s speculations, because he follows this team more closely than I do.

• Trisomy 21 says:

AB you have got to have the most annoying debates to read on this site. Always I see you argue shit like no he had a save% of .933 not .932!!!!11
        That’s an inference not a conclusion!
        That zebra is white and black not black and white!
        You nitpick worse than my wife

14. slychard says:

Just got in from work and read the piece on Markov. My humble synopsis on the situation? Let the man be, eat the year and let him comeback next season. Wow, the man is a gamer no doubt, so why force him to jeopardize his career for a season that is not necessarily lost but a long shot to the post season. I’ve had a few so I won’t go on but, Markov will be back and when he does it will be at his own terms and not from the pressure coming from the masses.

Now I’m gonna read the thread half drunk and post acerbic reply’s to all. God speed!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Kiss my hAbSS!!!

15. 365fan says:

John Lennon had a lost weekend once.

In Montreal Canadiens history this will go down as Andrei Markov’s lost weekend.

The only question is who will occupy the Yoko Ono role of the dutiful lover awaiting the return of Andrei, PG or JM?

Perhaps it is a symbol of a lost team? I hope not. Things are not all that bad. It is nothing a 4 game winning streak wouldn’t make us forget. There are some things too look forward to: Ryan White (how’s your head feeling Johnny Boychuk?), this year’s Spatch, the-game-against-the-Rangers version of Gomez, Campoli, a ready Louis?, seeing darche eating a hot dog in the Bell Centre pressbox during a game as opposed to muffing up a power play.

Anyone who hasn’t seen it should google “emelin pavelski hit” – it is a thing of beauty.At some point he is going to lay out Lucic and angels will sing when it happens.

Until then it is more of “The Ballad of Andrei Markov”.

16. Propwash says:

Markov is an essential piece of the puzzle that is the Habs, the team can and will soldier on without him if need be.

_____________________________
    Being negative has its advantages,
    you’re never disappointed.

17. alfieturcotte says:

Signing Markov to a 3yr , $17MM contract is even dumber than choosing Moen in a must win shootout over other more skilled players on the bench. Fire Gauthier and JM. Had they been english speakers they would have been gone long ago.

18. Habfan4lfe says:

Quality article about Markov Pat Hickey I think he’s taking his time and I’m fine with that. Markov has a lot of pride in his play so it’s understandable why he is taking is time. I think Montreals defence can learn a lot from him.

19. SmartDog says:

It’s shaping up to be another year of “ifs”.
    IF Markov comes back we’ll have a better power play.
    IF Gomez gets it going we’ll have a stronger team.
    IF Gionta and Cami can find their scoring touch, we’ll score more goals.
    IF Price and Subban can both play as well as we know they can, we’ve got a chance to win every night.
    IF the veterans can guide our young talent we’ll have a strong team and a strong future.

Except that none of those things is happening. Markov’s a perpetual maybe, Gomez, in the little time he’s played has had only one decent game. Gio and Cami both seem to have lost their scoring touch. Our D goes from great to terrible unpredictably, Subban makes as many mistakes as he does inspired plays, and Price, while good most nights looks pretty average other nights.

The team is where it is for a reason. Too much wishful thinking. We need a new GM who can build a strong, reliable, solid team.

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

20. Kimberly2u says:

Hope the Habs win tomorrow

21. ProHabs says:

Thank goodness New Jersey, Buffalo, and Tampa suck just as much as the Habs. Maybe there is a chance to make the playoffs. It is time to fire Gauthier and put Jacques Martin as the new GM.

22. chartraw27 says:

On a positive yet off topic note. Steve Quailer had 3 assists tonight giving him 14 points in 12 games. Nice to see considering he had such a horrible knee injury. Michael Bournival had 2 assists tonight. Some of the Habs prospects are looking promising. Hopefully JM is not around to see them reach the pros.
    This Markov situation is quite the gong show. One wonders if he will be back in December. Emelin is looking better and better. Weber has never impressed me and it wouldn’t bother me if they traded him.
    If they lose tomorrow and then to Columbus at home it could get ugly in a big way in the media and amongst those Hab fans in Montreal.

23. Habsolutely says:

At a recent press conference a reporter asked JM how he felt when PG agreed to give him a 2 million firing bonus in his contract.

JM’s response.

24. stevieray says:

Markov finished
    Season …finished

25. Neutral says:

I remember this summer when PG signed Markov – I said what a waste of money – everyone on this site jumped me – the next time maybe you should listen.
    even if Markov returns – it will be a short stay – and remember I said that – jump if you want…..

• naweed235 says:

you are so Cool. I want to be like you!

• ffenliv says:

You’re leaving out the part where your guess was a lucky one. You had no inside knowledge; you’re not Markov’s doctor, nor are you in team management. You acted on a hunch, with no real information to back you up.

Sure he’s had a couple of the same knee injuries, and that increases the chances, but you couldn’t KNOW that he’d miss more than an entire year. You know how I know that? Because you can’t see the future.

And the suggestion that we should listen next time, based on a lucky guess, is a pretty laughable one.

• roady says:

you’re a regular genius

take your drink to the end of the bar buddy…come on now, don’t be a fool…

• slychard says:

Clairvoyant pr!ck, tell me the winning numbers for the florida lotto or I’ll jump you right now!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
      Kiss my hAbSS!!!

• Un Canadien errant says:

Neutral, you play the “I told you so” card in a more aggravating manner than my kid sister, but less aggravating than my girlfriend. Be proud, you called it.

My call was that Mr. Markov should be handled with kid gloves, not rushed back, followed closely by the medical team, even if it means he misses half the season or more, so that he will only return to action once he’s 100% ready. Do I get fantasy-world points for that too?

———————————
      How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

26. ffenliv says:

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, who just bagged another assist, is on pace to out-score the nearest Hab by more than 20 points.

I know Oil fans went through a few years of hell, punctuated by one finals game 7 appearance, but damn it must be nice out there now.

Even if they sink out of the playoff picture, the hockey they play is incredibly exciting, and obviously the kids are just going to keep getting better.

Sadly, they had to be bad for a lot of years to get these picks. I can’t imagine Habs fans would really put up with a proper rebuild.

No disputing the talent they have corralled is exceptional, but until they go real far in playoffs or win the cup is not yet a proper rebuild. They’re challenge will be finding a goalie, defencemen and then resigning all that talent.

But they do appear to be on their way.

• ffenliv says:

I’d say it’s a ‘proper’ rebuild, because they’re going about it the right way – drafting, signing the odd vet, but not blowing the bank on them.

It’s a ‘successful’ rebuild when they go deep/win the cup.

Yah I suppose, I guess I just think there is more than 1 way to rebuild. Not convinced it has to be complete tank for mulitiple seasons is all. But that route can work, Pittsburgh being the best example.

• Mike D says:

They have great talent in Edmonton – no doubt about that.

When you rebuild though, usually you do it from the net out. They seem to be trying to do it the opposite way. I realize they have Dubnyk in goal but not sure how well he’ll turn out. Their biggest issue though is Defense. For all their young offensive talent, they don’t seem to have much in the D department at all.

The big question is will they be able to add the missing pieces and reach the ultimate goal while their young stars are still inexpensive and they can afford them all under the cap.

– Honestly yours

• HardHabits says:

Just because they landed two gems in Hall and Nugent-Hopkins doesn’t mean anything. They still need to draft well in late rounds to add more talent to their roster.

Draft high
            Draft often
            Draft well

• ffenliv says:

In some ways I enjoy the parity brought about in the cap-era NHL, but it drives me mad that teams that draft well, and build a contender, are most often going to be forced at some point to deal them all away. Not because they suck, or because the owners are cheap, but because they can’t afford them anymore.

Even Detroit, a team that seems quite skilled at getting players to take the home-team discount, will eventually fail.

Don’t get me wrong, I hated when teams tried to buy titles, but it frustrates me to know that the Habs could go on a killer 3 or 4 year draft-streak, win a cup or two, then have to go back to the desert because the cap forces them to.

• HardHabits says:

Habs fans will do as they are told.

27. J.Ambrose.OBrien says:

The speculation, conjecture, and informed opinions I heard today (from media members with close contacts) said that the knee is still bothering Markov. While practicing before the Ducks game, he felt pain and flew to L.A. to have it checked. There is clearly still some damage in there, and the decision has to be made whether or not to scope it again.

It is now highly unlikely we will see Markov in 2011. 2012? We still don’t know.
    I remember Dec. 31, 1975

28. Hockey Bob says:

I have read here comments to the effect that Gomez is stealing money with his play; well I would add Markov is also stealing money.
    I would love to be paid millions to take Florida and California vacations, but then again if some idiot was giving me gobs of money I would take it.

Go Leafs Go

29. alfieturcotte says:

How long before we start seeing Gomez and Markov toiling away in Hamilton. Fire Gauthier for the moves he has made — 3-years at $17MM for Markov post 2 knee surgeries it absurd at best. Mickey mouse GM does it again.

30. AceMagnum says:

Brilliant marketing opportunities lost…

Donald Audette with the Ducks
    Paul Ranger with New York
    St. Louis with the Blues
    Matt Moulson with the Habs
    Garth Snow with the Avalanche
    Mike Eagles with Washington
    Kris King in Los Angeles
    Felix the Cat Potvin with Panthers
    Miro Satan with the Devils
    Fisher, Gill, & White with Sharks

31. cuzzie says:

PG is invited to my house for Steaks and Pork Chops.

Mr. Bad Example!

32. twilighthours says:

No idea where these Markov trade rumors are coming from. No team would ever trade for an injured, unknown quantity like Markov. Jeez we kicked up a stink and sent back an injured Blair betts. Why would anyone trade for Markov?

The reason he’s not playing has nothing to do with a pending trade.

• alfieturcotte says:

Ever think that if nobody would ever trade for Markov, why Gauthier went ahead and offered a 3 yr contract to him? I don’t blame Markov or Meehan. I blame Gauthier for being stupid enough to reward a player for no service in 2 years with a suspect knee(s)….

• Un Canadien errant says:

Andrei Markov hasn’t played in two years because he was injured in service of this team. Diligent, dutiful, inspired service. Keep that in mind for some perspective, he’s not some bum who’s ripping off the team by dogging it, he’s a fallen soldier.

Mr. Gauthier offered a contract that was in keeping with market rates, and based on the best medical advice he could get at the time. You’re just sitting on your couch blowing off steam.

———————————
        How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

• gp52 says:

gauthiers a total idiot

33. smiler2729 says:

Waiting for the next Gauthier’s Canadiens’ game…

Hmmm, reminds me of being an easily amused kid putting pennies on the rails in T.M.R. and watching for the next downtown train to come and crush ‘em real good…

In the back of your mind, you think just maybe the train will wreck but one thing’s for sure, that penny sure gets crushed every time.

___________________________________
    Jack Edwards sucks chowdah chunks

34. habs-hampton says:

Interesting stuff, guys, but I want to hear what Mark Recchi thinks.

Time’s up, JM must go!

35. Nobody says:

2 possibilities on Markov’s MIA. His knee is done or their is a trade. Highly doubt the second scenario but I am starting to doubt we will see him back, or he will just get injured again because he is not going to be ready. Hate to be down but this team seems to be in a spiral to me.

36. Danno says:

What if Markov is finished?

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

37. cuzzie says:

Bulldogs down 2-0 to Ice Caps. It’s contagious.

Mr. Bad Example!

38. AceMagnum says:

Enough with the acronyms you lazy people, who the Christ is HH?

39. Wayne says:

Thanks for the updates on Markov but what is the real deal medically with him. He’s a had long runway to takeoff mediawise, although not the 8 month countdown like Sid had to deal with, but there’s next to nothing I’ve come across that really explains his absence given all the encouraging signs at the start of the year.

French or English link to articles if any. Thanks.

EDIT: Wow, I didn’t mean to kick Hick in the pants with that post. Just read the article. Still would like more insight, though.

40. Jetcar70 says:

I’m not sure who is in charge of the whole Markov situation. It’s the first time I’ve seen anything (player injury/recovery) being so muddled in the media and by the team itself. This can’t be helping the room. It certainly creates a lot of confusion for everyone who follows the team. Hopefully, a clear message will come out soon, one that is agreed upon by all parties, including Markov himself. I say, take your time until you are absolutely sure. I would imagine that the organization is thinking the same thing, but it’s starting to look like a soap opera when no one comes out and clearly states what is going on.

Anyway, I support Markov’s decision, if he is indeed the one making all the day to day decisions about whether or not to return. (with his dr’s advice, of course)

I can see why he would be nervous, though, he’s been there once before already, and he doesn’t want to go back.

Good luck to Markov with the recovery, and here’s to a speedy and healthy return to the game when he is ready!

41. AceMagnum says:

Sorry Mike Boone is just okay

The Habs need to rebuild. I mean that. I am not implying anything else. Seriously.

43. AceMagnum says:

Mike Boone rules!

44. Sean Bonjovi says:

Would Louis Leblanc be better off playing big minutes in all situations in the AHL, or third line minutes for the Canadiens with Eller and Kostitsyn? Is he good enough for an NHL third line right now?

• Mike D says:

I don’t want a repeat of Guimauve, so I’d prefer not to rush his development. Let him play a year or two in the A and bring him up only when he’s ready.

He’ll have enough pressure to succeed being a franco, Quebec born player, drafted in the first round by the Montreal Canadiens. Why handicap him and his expectations further? At least that’s how I see it.

That said, I liked what I saw from him yesterday. I didn’t know this before but he can skate really well and VERY fast to boot. Hopefully he turns out to be a good one for us.

– Honestly yours

• Trisomy 21 says:

I agree, I don’t mind giving him a few games like last night where he gets 15 minutes so he can see what he’s got to prepare for. Might even give him a boost of confidence too. I’m sure everyone’s on the same page with this one though, especially after seeing how well Max has been playing

• Sean Bonjovi says:

What I saw yesterday convinced me that Louis Leblanc Definitely will be a solid NHL player in the future. Also, (exclude call-ups an emergency replacement like this time) I’d like to see Leblanc stay in the AHL until they call him up, once, to stay, for good. He would be playing with better players and against better players in the NHL though. I guess the catch is that he’d have to play. I’d keep him as a third liner, but not a fourth liner.

• Trisomy 21 says:

Yeah I think the 4th line role should be left to guys like Darche and Nokia, who have limited abilities but can hold their own, not someone with top 6 potential.

Another thing to consider now that I think about it is that LL doesn’t exactly have great linemates this year in Hamilton, so I think for one his stats aren’t going to reflect his ability. But also having him play some games in the NHL has tradeoffs because he’s playing against tougher opponents, has limited minutes and might be held to a role that he won’t be playing in 5 years, but at least he has some better teamates than Dumont and Enqvist in Hamilton.

45. WindsorHab-10 says:

As a Habs fan since 1975, I’m tired of this team being mediocre at best since we last won the cup in 1993. Any playoff appearances or success since has been because of great goaltending not because of a great team. Our drafting has sucked and we have missed the boat on what type of players are needed to win in today’s game.
    Gainey came in and made things much worse with the bad deals i.e. Gomez and then added insult to injury firing Carbo and hiring a dummy coach in Martin before handing the reigns to an equally useless Gauthier.
    As painful as it is, I hope we lose as many games as it takes to make changes happen, the sooner the better. We need to blow this team up and start all over again. Most of all, we need to restore some pride in Habsland. Pretty pathetic when Leafs fans make fun of us.

“Hate Bruins like a sickness”

46. Rainrocket16 says:

For awhile now I have not been one to dog JM and his system. With that said I do think it may be time for a change. JM just believes that once we get the lead it is ok to protect it and play prevent hockey…ok, That just doesn’t work! Especially against a high flying Offense like the Sharks. This team is supposed to get better every year or at least improve certain areas. Well, I may not pay as much attention as some of the posters on here but I will say this….We have gotten worse since our fantastic playoff run 2 years ago…Injuries, inexperience, are no excuses.

47. Izzy says:

test………just makin sure my signature changed…lol..& how do I get my avatar in this new HIO?

After Emelin hits you, you get coloring books for christmas……

48. HabsFanMTL says:

i would have liked to have seen a line of “palushaj eller leblanc last night and shove moen on fourth line

49. cuzzie says:

I have changed my signature to that great Warren Zevon song.

Mr. Bad Example!

Carbo, Roy and Robinson as coaches and Lemaire as GM.

51. JohnBellyful says:

I admit it, being a old fogie who remembers the past glories of the Canadiens, I compare what once was to what is, and am saddened. That needs to stop. Those days are long gone. Instead of dwelling in the past, I should focus on what’s happening in the here and now.
    And that includes the recent past, the exciting run to the Eastern Conference Final. None of it means anything today. Don’t even bother bringing that stuff up. Stick to the present.
    Clear everyone? Concentrate. Forget the past … forget the past … forget the
    Wait! Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it, isn’t that what they say?
    Hmmmm, works for me.
    Okay, everybody – you, too, Jacques, Pierre, the whole gang – forget everything you know about the Canadiens before this season. That’s it! Slip into a collective amnesia.
    And when I snap my fingers, wake up: The season will be 1978-79.
    Repeat: 1978-79.
    Now go do it.

I can’t wait to see these guys limp into action.

53. CanadienBoy says:

Hey only 25 % of teams not in the top 8 by Christmas have a chance to make the playoff

54. C_exacte says:

Anyone catch the NHL standings on That’s Hockey??? They had the Habs in 13th with 25 points, more proof that they have their Maple Leaf heads up their arse.

55. Habsrule1 says:

Taken from centreicenews.com:

After a brilliant and illustrious NHL career that spanned 18 seasons with 4 Stanley Cups and several personal accolades including 3 Conn Smythe awards, 3 Vezina’s and 5 Jennings trophies, Patrick Roy entered the world of coaching in 2005-06 with his already owned Quebec Remparts, replacing Eric Lavigne after the latter started the year 1-4-0. Roy went on to lead his Remparts to a 51-12-2 record the rest of the season and a 14-9 Playoff record, where they ultimately lost to the Moncton Wildcats in 6 games. However, with the Wildcats hosting the Memorial Cup that season, Roy’s Remparts earned a berth into the Memorial Cup Tournament, which they won after a 6-2 win over the same Moncton team they lost the QMJHL Championship to.

Since then, the Remparts, under Roy’s watch, have not had a winning percentage dip below .550 and have won less then 40 games just twice(37 and 38 in 2006-07 and 2007-08 respectively). Roy’s coaching record since taking the reigns in Quebec is 264-120-25, not including the 9-3-3 start this year. The Remparts have also won 4 Division titles under Roy.

Some may ask what kind of style St. Patrick utilizes as a coach and the short answer is: Offense. Since taking the reigns in Quebec, Roy has preached nothing but offense. The Remparts offense has never ranked below 6th and has been Top 4 five times in the last 6 years. Despite his offensive propensity, Roy is no slouch on the defensive end. He may not focus as much of his attention towards defense as he should but he still has managed to have a Top 6 defense four times in his 6 years.

Interesting……

Go Habs Go!!

56. Habifax says:

Webber is a RFA so high price to sign him. Too high as history dictates. I am afraid the Markov Doctors Tour 2011 will continue into 2012. After all this time he is still seeing doctors all around North America. This is a very bad sign and the team should come clean as hiding the true facts are not fooling anyone now.

I think he desperately wants to play and the fact that he is still searching out different opinions would show this. As well as JM comments about Markov off doing his own thing with the doctors.

Research I looked at days 9 months recovery so looks like he has long term damage to the knee. Too bad and frustrating for all involved. Hope I am wrong and he is back next week and plays for a few more years but evidence points otherwise.

57. cuzzie says:

Hate is such hateful word. I would go with the German word, Kaput!

Stay Thirsty My Friends!

Do you say this as a doctor also?

59. Storm Man says:

It kind of looks that way right now…

60. JohnBellyful says:

MONTREAL – The Montreal Canadiens have denied it but trusted sources say Scott Gomez has “donated” both of his knees so teammate Andrei Markov can resume playing hockey.
    Markov’s career has been put on hold since the latest surgery to repair a damaged knee has sidelined him for much longer than expected. The slow pace of his recovery has prompted talk of his retirement.
    But whispers from inside the Canadiens’ citadel say Markov could be ready for action by the end of the year following a simple double knee transplant. Insiders say the Canadiens would have acted sooner but it wasn’t until two days ago that team executives realized the NTC in Gomez’s contract referred to no trade, not no transplant.
    “For what we’re paying him, he should have donated a few other parts,” said one anonymous source, who didn’t rule out that possibility in future.
    Gomez, who appears to have lost some height while recovering from a groin pull, offered no comment, except to yell out, “How’s it goin’, big guy?” to Markov as he went racing by to catch a taxi outside the Bell Centre.
    The insiders, anonymous sources and unnamed head coach all agreed that Markov will need a few days of practice to strengthen his knees and learn not to veer to the left before returning to the lineup.
    Edit: The loss of his knees likely means Gomez will be placed on the long-term injury reserve list, which will create salary cap space for a replacement player – younger, better, offensively gifted, defensively responsible.
    That has other teams’ executives fuming and calling on the league to do something about “knee-capping” the next time IR rules are reviewed.

61. lyndo62 says:

Hmmm what does that mean!!!!!

“Things that hurt, instruct.”

~Benjamin Franklin~

62. RiverviewCanadien says:

Wow so people are now doctors here?

Markov will play his first game back in Montréal, you can count on it.

63. cuzzie says:

Pleks is a good player but he reminds me of Jarvis and Carbo. It is time now to put Eller first line center.

Stay Thirsty My Friends!

64. Chris F says:

Itès sad but I’m starting to think that if Markov’s knee is done, it may be good for us in the long run.
    As a Habs fan, I am hoping Shae Weber goes to UFA. And Geoff Molson steps in to ensure PG or his replacement goes after him with all guns blazing. It’s a dream, but it may be possible. Right now, we need a game changer on the back end. And Weber is it. He’s the best there is right now, so here’s to hoping he doesn’t resign, here’s to hoping we can let Gomez tutor our Bulldogs next season, maybe Markov will call it a career, we can actually make a splash and sign the best D man in the league, and use whatever is left over to keep players like AK (who I think should be kept), Subban, Price, Patches.

• bleedhabs81 says:

Give your head a shake.

I really don’t think Molson needs to step in if Weber hits the market.

If the best D in the league is available, all teams are looking at what they could do to get him… if your a GM and you don’t take a look (even a quick look) your an idiot (or have no resources to get it done).

Therefore if molson steps in, PG is an idiot and can’t do his job. Now, what PG can offer for him and is it enough is a completely different matter.

• Chris F says:

Give my head a shake? Hmmmm. Must have been born in 81.
        Weber will want maximum. The Owner will have to step in to offer his words on signing a 10 year 70 million dollar deal for the number one D man in the league??
        That’s what it will take. PG hasn’t shown any results so far, why would it change without some real help. Not to mention a visit by the owner in his private jet, with beer, dancers, and his buddy Josh perhaps.

• Trisomy 21 says:

Geoff Molson, our savior! he will do it!
          Give it a rest, any GM worth their weight in salt will try to grab him if he will fit into their cap and plans.

65. BoomBoom says:

-This Markov saga is getting ridiculous! Shut him down and put him on the IR until he’s absolutely 100% ready and save us all the drama of whether he’s going to play or not before every game. Maybe with the cap space, go get a dman who can help for the rest of the season.

-After what I have seen after 2 games from Leblanc, I like. I’d rather have him on the 4th line than Plushai and Darche for that matter. Kid skates hard every shift. Once we have a healthy line-up we can re-evaluate whether Hamilton is the best option or not. But Palushai is not NHL material and well Darche is not getting any younger.

-Please sign Gorges now.

-I like Alexei E. a lot. he is becoming more assertive and I hope Martion gives him a bit of a leash to make mistakes. Diaz or Weber, pick one and move on…too similar set of skills and lack of size.

C’est le but!

• deuce6 says:

LeBlanc on the 4th line? Riiiiight…

——————

Yes, I’m a Hab fan..Wanna fight about it?

• Storm Man says:

I like but you forgot about having lord martin go

• Sean Bonjovi says:

After what I saw with Max Pacioretty I’d rather have Leblanc play on a top line in the Ahl until he’s ready for a top line in the NHL.

• CanadienBoy says:

Weber bigger then Streit still not that big but as great potential as only 81 games in the NHL including 6 playoff, limited play time under the system but still manage 24 pts

• bleedhabs81 says:

Ah man, what is with everyone today….

LeBlanc on the 4th line to play 5-7 minutes a night…. how is that going to help him? Remember Max a few years back?

Let the kid develop playing top line minutes against competition that is his equal (or slighltly less than equal). Don’t throw him into the NHL to play 5 minutes a night. The kid will grow moss if that happens.

This is great short term experience, nothing more. A measuring stick for the future…. 4th line duty would be idiotic for the kid… idiotic… any who suggest otherwise is an…. well, only an idiot couldn’t figure out where I was going there (said in jest, I assure you).

66. Everlasting1 says:

Blues’ David Perron makes his return Sat. night against Chicago after 13 months and 97 games missed.

——————————————————————-
    Thus sayeth the Lord, “Destroyed I the Amorite before them, whose height was like the height of the cedars, and he was strong as the oaks.” Amos 2:9

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

• Storm Man says:

Why are you on this site again?

• Habsolutely says:

he’s a troll.

• GrimJim says:

He likes us…

• Everlasting1 says:

Again? Is this a trick question? Idk, I give up. Why am I here..again?

——————————————————————-

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

• bleedhabs81 says:

Are you a blues fan (not judging, just curious)?

All I really recall from you are Blues posts and Halak posts…. I could be wrong, but that is what I associate with your avatar. No harm meant… just an observation.

• Everlasting1 says:

Very astute. But not to be confused with imposter Neverlasting1, who presumes to speak for me.

——————————————————————-

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

• HardHabits says:

He’s demigod. The one who followed Halak to the Blue’s but stayed at HIO. He never heard of St. Louis until 2 years ago.

• Everlasting1 says:

One can catch HH at a local karaoke bar, or anyone who will allow him a mic and an audience. He’ll repeatedly belt out LedZep’s ‘Dazed And Confused’.
            He still gets choked up by listening to Annakin Slayd’s ‘Feels Like ’93, especially after a Habs home win.

——————————————————————-

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

• Storm Man says:

No trick i understand you’re a little lost.

• Everlasting1 says:

Habs are a little lost. Is this not a hockey site, Stompy?

——————————————————————-

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

• cuzzie says:

Will he know he was out that long?

Stay Thirsty My Friends!

• RiverviewCanadien says:

Hopefully no more concussions for him.

67. habstrinifan says:

This story makes habs MANAGEMMENT look like keystone cops.

68. deuce6 says:

Just retire already so we can move on from this. His knee is obviously a can of smashed arseholes. That 5.75M in cap room can go a long way in adding an important piece.

A gamble on a player that didn’t have to be made, IMO. Those who compared his injury to that of Wiz can now understand that not every player is the same. I am afraid that Markov’s career may be over.
    ——————

Yes, I’m a Hab fan..Wanna fight about it?

69. cuzzie says:

Historically the Christmas road trip has not been kind to the Habs,. Atleast in previous years they had a cushion in the standings. Not this year. If they are in the same place in the standings after that road trip, PG or X will have to start getting rid of our UFA’S and rebuild for the next season, if there is a next season.

Stay Thirsty My Friends!

70. K I’m confused. Was this article written before Wilde said Markov had a setback, or is the setback not actually right?

71. habsfan reduxit says:

Hello Fans,

… there is some talk, in light of the NHL BoG meeting coming up, that the Coyotes may very well be allowed to move to … wait for it … Quebec City. I have one question of you all: in the event such a move comes to fruition and an NHL team is once again located in Q.C., how would that impact on the Habs?

“Whenever you have the puck, and don’t know what to do with it, put it in the net.” – Toe Blake

72. Storm Man says:

My feeling at this point he does not play at all anymore this year.. 2012 is a maybe something is very wrong with his knee and he knows it.

Suggested new Poll Question:
    Will Andrei Markov play more than 30 games for Habs this Season or less than 30 games.

TSN just reported he did skate but at a different facility way from rest of team.