Canadiens sign Yannick Weber to 2-year deal

YannickWeber

After trading the negotiating rights to James Wiesniewski earlier Wednesday, general manager Pierre Gauthier locked up defenceman Yannick Weber to a two-year deal.
Terms were not released by the club, but it has been reported to be worth $1.7 million total for the two seasons.
“Yannick has acquired valuable experience at the NHL level this past season playing a total of 44 regular season and playoff games. He is a young player who has gained confidence and progressed steadily since being selected by the Montreal Canadiens in 2007,” Canadiens general manager Pierre Gauthier said in a statement.
Weber, 22, completed in 2010-11 his third season with the Canadiens in the NHL.
In 41 games last season, the 22-year-old defenceman scored one goal and added 10 assists. He scored his first NHL goal on Feb. 9 against the Bruins at Boston.
A native of Morges, Switzerland, The 5-foot-11, 198-pound Weber was the Canadiens’ fifth pick (third round, 73rd overall) at the 2007 NHL Entry Draft.
He was part of the Swiss team at the 2010 Vancouver winter Olympic Games, as well as at the 2009 World Championship and the 2008 World Junior Championship.

1. krob1000 says:

JAGR IS MISSING???? I saw the post below and there are sites with Shero and Svoboda both saying they are unaware of his whereabouts??? Is this for real??

2. JohnBellyful says:

Just a reminder: Be sure to get your free agent frenzy vaccine today.

3. JayBee says:

I really get the feeling that when the dust has cleared, this team will look the exact same as last year.

PG and BG won’t address a lot of the glaring needs this team has.

4. BeeGee says:

FA wishlist
    F: Cole, Upshall, Leino, Talbot, Rupp, Kennedy, Ward, Konopka
    D: Babchuk, Ericsson, Jovanovski

Would be very happy with Cole, Rupp and Babchuk…

One can always dream…

The newest 30 Thoughts (by Elliotte Friedman) – the best read in hockey.

Sabres may be ready to spend big coin.

• G-Man says:

Have to call Buffalo a town now. They’ve lost half their population the last 10 years. The Sabres are pretty much doomed because even though fans will pay to watch, they will be mainly from Ontario. High-priced free agents don’t like the climate (tons of lake effect snow) and the team hasn’t made any noise for years.

7. petefleet says:

So with Weber signed, that leaves us with 8 defencemen if Gorges signs. That is assuming that Diaz and Yemelin are in the fold. The biggest difference from last year could be if Markov is healthy. With Hammer gone, the young guys will have fill in where he did last year if needed. Could be a long winter if Markov is out again or one of the others will shine. Can’t wait.
    PG: Please sign a big, rugged centreman. I don’t care where you get him. I believe that is the only thing missing from this team.

***Habs Forever***

8. SyntaxLove says:

Would someone kindly explain the Konopka frenzy? I’m getting a lot of “we need 2 b moar tuff lyke Boston, rawr! dey r stnley cupp winers!” Campbell & Thornton both had over 20 pts this season from the 4th line. They’re capable of being enforcers while still scoring the occasional goal.

Konopka was -14 last year and 1st in the league for PIM. He’s a classless jackass in my opinion. Give me a Mike Rupp any day. 6’5, 230, dirt cheap, UFA, had a couple good seasons with the Pens.

Never sacrifice points for pugilism.

More on topic, I sincerely hope Weber doesn’t spend most of his time in the press box this year.

9. i think this is good news, Weber will prove to be a very valuable during the upcoming season. Having an old ” jimmy roberts”type player on your roster is a boost, one that can play defense and the fourth line winger or on the penalty kill sitation. Now, lets shore up Georges and take a power forward that fits the puzzle and the summer will be more restful for me here on the westcoast…hanging round all the blue canuck fans, all claiming that, “they’ll take it next year” you can take that to the bank… geesh

10. shootdapuck says:

Webber signing: for all the moaning that was dished out re MAB (myself included) signing Webber has just added to the Canadiens another “deer in the headlights” defenseman whose “BIG” shot is seldom on net!

I saw somewhere in this thread that Webber liked to mix it up in front on the net!

Please when? Maybe in a ringette tournament!

Everytime Luchicken had him going into the corners he bailed like a third class passenger on the Titantic trying to keep the ship afloat!

At least MAB could put the puck on net in his only positive light.
    ****************************************************
    … the fans of the Boston Bruins now have lost forever any right to complain that “the league” is out to get their team, and that the Montreal Canadiens have some kind of pull inside the NHL home office.

Charles P. Pierce – Boston Globe

• SyntaxLove says:

He did score twice as a 4th line fwd during the playoffs. In my opinion, we haven’t seen enough of him to yet determine his true skills. I’m hoping we’ll see him starting most games and playing a decent amount of minutes next season.

11. maiolola@comcast.net says:

Yeah, sign the 32 year old Markov, who is one hit away from retirement, for almost $6M per and send the 26 year old Wiz packing without even attempting to sign him. Should be locking up some of these players earlier but the big problem here stems from the old school, “we don’t negotiate during the season ” lame policy. Many others would have locked Wiz up in March before he could use the leverage of the higher cap to demand more money.

L Train

• habsfansince91 says:

I’m assuming you didn’t know Wiz had the same surgery as markov on three seperate times on the same knee and that this was the only season he’s played more than 70 games?

• maiolola@comcast.net says:

MY BAD, I didn’t know about the Wizzes surgeries. Not signing him makes more sense now. Thanks for setting me straight habsfansince91.

L Train Habs Fan Since 77

• Steven says:

Markov could play Wiz into the ground, man. There’s really no mistake signing him for the same price, especially when Wiz would likely cost 6 mill(more than Markov) because of some wacko GM’s proposition from across the pond. Wiz = More money for half of Markov’s game? Pass.

• 2009-2010 season Markov amassed 34 pts in 45 games. This season Wisniewski earned 30 pts in 43 games. So you could argue that the Wiz had a break out year & has yet to prove his consistency, but it’s a little silly to suggest he has “half of Markov’s game” in my opinion.

• Steven says:

When I said that he has half Markov’s game, I was referring to the offensive half. We’ve all seen his mental lapses in his own zone. It might be arguable, but Markov is much more sound in his own end than Wiz is.

• SeriousFan09 says:

Wisniewski has the same knee injury Markov has, he’s ‘one more hit from retirement’ just as much with THREE knee surgeries.

And if the “we don’t negotiate during the season” policy is so terrible, why doesn’t Steve Yzerman disregard it? The best young player not named Crosby or Ovechkin is vulnerable to offer sheets in less than 36 hours. Sean Bergenheim, one of their better playoff heros is set to hit the market as well and Simon Gagne as well.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
      SF09 on Twitter

12. longbow says:

Oh man !!!….some of these posts are hard to read….and some of the user names make no sense…so I read them backwards and they still make no sense.

“Wanting is often more pleasurable than having.It is not logical but it is often true.” – Spock

13. Rainrocket16 says:

Sorry Gang, I have been in class way too long this summer. What are we looking like for our starting D-men?

14. Rainrocket16 says:

Sorry gang, i have been in class too long this summer. What does this leave us with for our starting D-men?

15. D Mex says:

Asham has re-signed with PITT – 1 yr @ 775K – he’s a big boy (and ex-Hab)

ALWAYS Habs -
    D Mex

16. Habby says:

I know how many think we’re crazy around here but really we should take a look around. Two quick examples:

Brad Richards posted a pic of a blue lobster on Twitter that his dad caught. Instead of admiring the rare lobster (1 in 2-5 million), people started saying things like, “It’s a sign you’re going to sign with the Rangers!” or “That lobster would look good with the Leafs blue & white!!11!” (Not exact quotes here but you get the point.)

Pensblog’s Jagr Watch. Complete with paparazzi pics! And the comments on Jagr Watch are not only numerous but pretty funny.

Our crazies don’t look so bad eh?

The drive for 25 is alive!

• _Habsoloutly_ says:

One of the comments on Richards twitter page under the blue lobster:

“That’s a sign u shouldn’t go to TO. or you’ll end up getting cooked alive.”

LOL

17. Kythehabsfan says:

Perhaps I didn’t have the patience to scroll down through all of the comments here, but I have not seen any comments about Weber on this thread. I am excited about this signing, I think this kid has some great potential that most are not seeing.

From the comments over the past week and the endless line combinations most seem to have him pegged as a # 7 guy. I see YW playing every game and being the go to guy on the point on the 2nd PP line. I would have felt the same way even with Hammer in the lineup but it appears now he will not which will mean a bigger role for YW esp on the PP.

• punkster says:

See, thing is the Weber signing is kind of bulletproof. At that low price nobody…NOBODY…is gonna claim to be upset, insist we got taken and go on and on about the incompetence of management and the lack of reasonable beer prices in the Phone Booth. Well, besides that last point, nobody’s gonna complain.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• pat s says:

i would get konopka and eric boutlon and heave them play on the 4th–it makes our team meaner and they can well on the 4th line–maybe they get better through the year will create room for our skilled players to play with more room and confidence

of this is not the answer to all our problems but addresses one and it will good–this is a no brainer

18. zooziff says:

What’s all the fuss about? If the Wiz signs in Columbus the Habs get a 5th round pick, if not we get a 7th rounder. At least that’s the way I understand it. Someone please correct me if I’m wrong.

19. Ozmodiar says:

Jagr update from nhl.com (no joke)

However, Jagr’s agent, Petr Svoboda, told the Detroit Free Press that he could not confirm his client’s whereabouts Wednesday night.

“I don’t know if he missed a connection,” Svoboda told the newspaper after 8 p.m. ET. “I have no clue.”

Red Wings GM Ken Holland told NHL.com late Wednesday he had not heard from Jagr’s camp and was not aware of the player’s whereabouts.

Atlantic City, perhaps??

• shootdapuck says:

Check the casinos on both sides of the border!

Likely to find him!

Charles P. Pierce – Boston Globe

20. NCRhabsfan says:

Hey, how is it that two different GMs were able to get 4th round draft picks for Erhoff and the best PG could do was a conditional 7th for Wiz? Are we selling low or what?

• habsfansince91 says:

erhoff is a better player than wizniewski. Also, teams probably know that wizniewski wants to test the waters in free agency and don’t want to give up much for him via trade.

• CanadienFanTrappedinNiagaraFallsNY says:

I find that Buffalo trading for Ehrhoff’s rights shows how stupid their GM is and how their ‘amazing’ new owner is just going to be the Daniel Snyder of the NHL… this player just refused nearly 5 mil from his team that went to the SCF and then refused 6 mil, so you throw a pick away to try and get him to sign with you? Yeah that will work if you plan on throwing ridiculous money at him.

On top of this they traded a 2nd for BOYES at the deadline who is a 4 mil cap hit and was relegated to the 4th line by game 7 in the playoffs. Now they’ve traded some prospects for Regehr and his 4 mil hit, and had to take on Kotalik’s 3 mil cap hit to get him.

My point in all this Sabres bashing? Just because you are ‘active’ does not mean it is a good thing, and I would rather have Gauthier than someone who throws money around because they are living some childhood fantasy.

• Not that I disagree with you, but the Islanders are most likely destined to finish near the bottom again next year. I imagine Ehrhoff wants more monies than Vancouver were willing to offer, but he also wants to play with a team that has at least a chance of making the post-season.

21. The Dude says:

Gauthier better try and grab a couple of Evgeny Artyukin type players .

Zenon Konopka
    HEIGHT: 6′ 0″WEIGHT: 209
    SHOOTS: LEFT
    BIRTHDATE: JAN 2, 1981 (AGE 30)
    BIRTHPLACE: NIAGARA ON THE LAKE, ON, CANADA

Year :: Team :: Face-offs Taken :: Percentage
    2008-09 :: Tampa Bay Lightning :: 25 :: 68.0%
    2009-10 :: Tampa Bay Lightning :: 462 :: 62.3%
    2010-11 :: New York Islanders :: 1075 (47th over-all) :: 57.7%
    —————————————————————–
    2010-11 :: Montreal Canadiens
    Player :: Face-offs Taken :: Percentage
    Tomas Plekanec :: 1577 (3rd over-all) :: 50.0%
    Scott Gomez :: 1197 (32nd over-all) :: 48.0%
    Jeff Halpern :: 594 :: 56.9%
    David Desharnais :: 445 :: 49.7%
    Lars Eller :: 431 :: 42.5%

23. kevin m says:

Would the Wiz still be able to sign with the Habs after July 1st?

The Habs traded away negotiating rights, but, I imagine he can sign with whom ever he wants to.

Just curious

• JD_ says:

But, there’s no way it’s gonna happen.

In fact, I think the five-year deal Newsy ends up signin’ is gonna spin a few heads around. It’s just that kind of environment.

• TomNickle says:

Columbus is prepared to go to $5.5 million allegedly. That’s without an imminent threat of another team swooping in.

I’m thinking he’ll get $6 million. Just my opinion.

• JD_ says:

I agree and wouldn’t be surprised to see it in the $6M-$6.5M range.

Not that Newsy’s worth that kinda coin, but the whole notion of worth went out the NHL window a long time ago.

Turns out $6M is also the head-spinnin’ threshhold.

• and the most trying to be thoughtfull yet retarded comment award goes to…

24. PeterD says:

Looking forward to when the Free agency spree is finished and we can get on with considering who our team will be.

Personally, I think Pierre G. has his mind made up to go with the players he has signed…plus re-sign Whitey and Gorges and a Goalie (probably offer a contract to Auld).

I don’t think he is going to go after high end top 6 forward in free agency. I think he is going to wait until training camp and leave one or two forward postions open for competition from the kids from Hamilton… Kristo, Palushaj, Engqvist, Avtsin, Berger.

It wouldn’t hurt though to lock in Simon Gagne for a few Mil$.

But seriously, I think Pierre has been signaling all along that he “likes stability” on the team and that the current group including the kids are just starting to gel together. So I think he will only tweak around the edges so I don’t expect much at all during hte next few weeks.

Just hoping some of the Hamilton boys shape up into NHL’ers right away this season.

• Tony McLean says:

Getting a feeling about Gagne`. I think after his stint in TB his stock dropped within the league and he may want to come ‘home.’ Maybe he can regain his form of a couple of years ago.

“I shall always remember Beliveau. Now there was a real captain.”

• Steven says:

Unless he’s commanding a ton of money I’d take him in a heartbeat. Two scorers on Plekanec’ line might be what he needs to have an explosive season. Cammalleri would have more space, too.

Makes you think a chippy player would compliment them better though. Regardless, it would give us 3 scoring lines.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I’d sign Gagne too. If the cost and term is reasonable of course.

———————————
        Let’s do something like this again: 1) Mike Cammalleri 2) Brian Gionta 3) Hall Gill

25. Tony McLean says:

Cheap insurance, I don’t object to that. He showed some composure late in the year.

Now to get somebody to kick Chara’s ass. Punk him out. Humiliate him. Exact revenge. And protect our Smurfs.

“I shall always remember Beliveau. Now there was a real captain.”

• Bugs says:

Get WHO to kick Chara’s butt?
      Chara’s big brother?

Gone figuratively fishin filibusts L. B. Potter, esq.

• JD_ says:

I know people.

• Bugs says:

Is one of’em the bad guy from “The World is Not Enough”? The one who couldn’t feel pain cuz his nerve endings were destroyed after a bullet got lodged in his skull?
          Cuz that would be so cool!

Gone figuratively fishin filibusts L. B. Potter, esq.

• SeriousFan09 says:

Pretty sure he’s the warm-up act for Chara. More likely it calls for Jaws (Albeit can we be sure they’re not related, might feel conflicted going after kin).

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
            SF09 on Twitter

• Bugs says:

Bah.
            Besides the teeth, he was pretty lame. He lifted Moore up to the ceiling, ooooooh; he ripped cheap panelling off an Egyptian rental van, oh no! He bit a shark…ok, that was pretty cool, but still, that shark had been livin pretty in a 20 cubic ft tank being fed incompetent guards, nervous accountants, and buxom molls for years; its hunter’s instincts were surely gone.
            Christopher Walken woulda busted him up. He was NUTS, man.

Gone figuratively fishin filibusts L. B. Potter, esq.

• JD_ says:

I was thinkin’ more along the lines of Andre The Giant in his epic performance as the original Sasquatch in The Six Million Dollar Man.

Spooked the effin’ crap out of me back in the day.

• twocents says:

Tinordi.

• Bugs says:

Gotta be careful. Sometimes I think you’re jokin and I giggle and you’re like “no, serious” and sometimes I think you’re serious and I lay into ya and you’re like “what gives, thought you of all people could see the joke” and it’s all very confusin.
          So I’ll just say “That’s an interesting proposition, Deuce!”

Gone figuratively fishin filibusts L. B. Potter, esq.

• twocents says:

Hey, kid’s 6’7″, likes to fight and is only 19. Give him 2 years, 20 lbs, kid comes up, punches old Lurch in the chops, announces his arrival.

• Bugs says:

Oh.
            Well, we mean “get someone to kick Chara’s butt” NOW, Deuce.
            As in: this coming season. Not the one in two years.
            On behalf of all of us, I apologize if that wasn’t clear.

Gone figuratively fishin filibusts L. B. Potter, esq.

• twocents says:

I don’t think anyone’s available right now.

• ABHabsfan says:

I was watching “Spartacus” tonight; I think Spartacus could take Chara. Though I’m not sure he can skate

Roloson re-signs in Tampa for 3M.

27. habs78 says:

So on a different topic, and because I’m feeling like a proud (and jealous) mother, I thought I’d share with my fellow Habs fans the fun my son is currently having.

He was accepted into the Montreal Canadiens Hockey School, and has had the pleasure of meeting former Hab Stephane Richer, Tom Pyatt, and today Louis Leblanc. He also got to wear Pleky”s gloves today. Tomorrow…..he gets to practice with Mr. Subban & Mr. Markov. He’s having the time of his life!!!

28. habsfan0 says:

I predict Pierre Gauthier will trade Scott Gomez to Colorado for draft choices.

I predict that Gauthier will then sign Stamkos, and Parise.

Finally, I predict that major league baseball will be back in Montreal in 2012.

29. TorontoHabsFan says:

Anyone else somewhat amazed that Weber is still only 22? It seems like he’s been in the discussion for years now. I *really* like this signing. I have a good feeling about this guy – he seems to be one who could be something special.

Also happy to hear that Talbot won’t be signing with Toronto (at least not yet). I still want to see him in Montreal.

If I was GM I’d target Talbot for the bottom end and Gagne for the top end and call it a day. Save the spare cash for the deadline and Price/Subban.

30. twocents says:

For those of you who whined about losing him, and I’m sure you know who you are, Desjardins, as in Cedric, has been left to go UFA by the Lightning.

Oh my God! They lost him for nothing, and they gave up Ramo for him. Oh my GOD!

31. Harry says:

As good his potential may be (others know this), based on the dollar numbers and term of the contract, Weber is likely in this season’s trade plans

32. CanadienFanTrappedinNiagaraFallsNY says:

Weber has been a fav of mine since ’09 when he stepped in nicely and was one of the few positives during that sweep by the Bruins. He scored one of our few goals, and this year he was very close to being a hero for the opening round. 3 goals and an assist in 6 career playoff games, not a bad start…

As for his overall play, I honestly think he’ll be near the level of Wisniewski, except in the intensity department. Last year I remember frequently seeing Spacek effectively make a fool out of the both of them. Pair him with a better, bigger, faster Dman like Gorge (who shoots left) and I think we’ll have a good combo.

• ABHabsfan says:

I am a big fan of Weber, but it should be noted that 2 of the 3 goals he got last year in the play-offs were as a forward. He has lots of talent and he’s really good with the puck on his stick, however I’m not sure his future in the NHL is not as a trigger-man forward. Either way, I am happy he is still a Hab

• CanadienFanTrappedinNiagaraFallsNY says:

not to nit-pick, but only two were from the ’11 playoffs, and while one was as a forward in game 2 (and he was indeed dressed as a forward for game 7), the second goal came on the PP while he was playing a D position.

Sorry, I have a weird memory… or I just have a man-crush.

33. joeybarrie says:

Don’t really understand the comparison of Ehrhoff to Wiz.
    Ehrhoff is vastly more experienced, bigger and plays on both the PP and PK.
    I can’t believe because Wiz has one season above 30 points he should be worth the same as a player who has had 4…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

34. SeriousFan09 says:

Bob Mackenie is saying keep an eye on Buffalo July 1st b/c of new owner Terry Pegula’s financial backing.

It’s really funny when you think about it, after the 2006-2007 season, they had to watch Briere, Campbell and Drury leave to sign contracts for stupid amounts of money. Now it’s their turn in a weak FA class to do the same thing, with even worse players!

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
    SF09 on Twitter

• TomNickle says:

They traded Campbell to San Jose first and got a decent package, Bernier and a 1st round pick(Tyler Ennis) I believe.

Also: If the Sabres do indeed sign Ehrhoff to a deal at $5 million per season. They only have around $6 million left. Maybe a bunch of depth signing but I wouldn’t count on a Gainey spree.

• ds says:

Kotalik, Afinigenov, Drury, Campbell, Vanek, Biron all cashed out big time. Lindy Ruff must be one of the best coaches to get these guys the type of contracts they got.

35. ds says:

MTL should sign Chris Drury for under 2 mill. He’s an excellent defensive center, big game player and will win big faceoffs. I’m sure he’ll fit in with the team and he’s got a stanley cup ring. Also it’s insurance, if Gomez stinks, they can always try Drury out as the 2nd line center taking pressure off Eller so he can develop properly.

• Rugger says:

Aren’t the Rangers dropping him because it is doubtful he will be able to play again?

• ds says:

I think it was to clear cap space to go after Brad Richards.. Drury is similar to Gomez in the sense that he was always a 50-60 pt guy but got an outrageous contract from Sather which he would never be worth, but he is 34 and at 15 mins/game a defensively responsible 2 way center who can win faceoffs and chip in some points can really help this team. Also it would get rid of the reliance on Pleks on the PK, allowing him to concentrate more on scoring.

• arcosenate says:

I think he has a chronic knee problem.

• Steven says:

His stats in the last couple years don’t speak highly of him, especially if he wants to command even 2 mill.

• ds says:

Last year was a bust because he was injured most of the season (like Markov). The year before was the worst of his career. The 10 previous were pretty solid.

2 Mill was just my guess, if he signs for 1.5 I would grab him in a second. Also i’m not saying put him in a top 6 role, I say for a 2 way 3rd or 4th line center who is a great faceoff man and has been clutch (17 gwg in playoffs of his 46 total).

It’s a gamble but sign him 1 year and let him prove himself, the guy has a lot of heart i’m sure he would succeed.

• LA Loyalist says:

I think he’s done (though full credit for a great career). At this point I think we play the kids and hope Gomez takes the hint and retires. We need to build around PK and Price and Weber for a shot in 2/3 years and that timing should guide the structure of the team. We’ll still have Cammy and Markov (HOPE!) in fine form and if we add even ONE great piece each year… (and no duds)… it will be our time.

• Stuck_in_To. says:

My take on the report is not so much that he is done, but that at his pay grade and wearing the ‘C’ he is done. That is not to say he cannot be a good utility player if you need a 3/4 center for a year. I’m sure he’d be a decent pickup for that and I assume that is his only option to play in the league this year.

• TomNickle says:

Gomez retiring at 31 or 32 years old isn’t happening Brad. Sorry to disappoint you. ;)

• LA Loyalist says:

I was being facetious, but yeah, I know. I have a few fantasies left that haven’t been fulfilled, and that’s just one of them, I guess.

I have nothing against Drury at the right price at the right term, he’s a great team guy and god knows we need to improve on faceoffs. I was just thinking of Caps getting Arnott for the playoffs (another great guy in his time) but he was pretty much toast.

Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE the wily-vet guys, Gary Roberts types, but the timing needs to be right when you’re going into the playoffs with a lot of young firepower and need a guy or two who can calm things down and direct all that energy. That’s all.

Is Gomez only 31-32? Crap, now I feel even worse. He really has no excuse.

• ds says:

In 3 years Gomez, Gionta, Markov, Cammelleri are all FA’s. Pleks has 4 years left on his deal.

Hal Gill who is a great playoff performer will be long gone and not easily replaced.

PK & Price are blue chippers for sure. Pleks will be coming to the end of his prime.

This team is pretty solid and can make a good run right now if there is a 1 or 2 more right pieces IMO.

Stamkos, Parise, Doughty would be dreams but realistically we aren’t getting any of them. At least we can gamble on some veterans who want to prove themselves like Moore two years ago, Halpern this past season and maybe Drury type next season. The thing I like most about Drury that this team lacks is a faceoff specialist. Pleks, Gomez aren’t very good. Eller has potential. Halpern was supposed to be great but he didn’t show it. So if not Drury then John Madden?

• TomNickle says:

I wouldn’t count on Cammalleri putting on another jersey. If he leaves, it will be because the team doesn’t want him back. It won’t be because he doesn’t want to be back unless things change dramatically.

• ds says:

You know I don’t see Gionta or Camm leaving this team but let’s face it in 3-4 years Gionta will be an elder statesman and Camm will not be as fast as he is today and his production will dip. Same with Plekanacs, and Markov. Boston won the cup with stellar goaltending, average defensemen (after Chara), decent timely offense but not spectacular. MTL with a few shore ups can make a similar run IMO.

• LA Loyalist says:

It depends on where the whole team is, too. If we are a top 4 team in the reg, and Cammy has other guys scoring and skilled, tough guys to dish the puck with, the game is a lot more fun.

Consider how Saku is having a blast on Ducks with Selanne and Jason Blake. They’re the SECOND line, they get to come on after Getzlaf and Perry. How freaking great is that? Unlike when Saku had to carry the donkey up and down the hill for the Habs, which he did, heroically, but I’m glad he can have fun now.

That’s what will be a weighing point for Cammy, when the time comes, dontcha think?

• mike3131 says:

Tinordi > Gill in 3 years

• CanadienFanTrappedinNiagaraFallsNY says:

He has a history as a good playoff performer, but frankly I think he is done and would rather have any of our centers than him. And if we are going to spend a few million for C support, I think Talbot would be a better buy. I also have been screaming for Bélanger for depth, he will likely cost less than a million and had a dozen goals last year.

• ds says:

Belanger is definitely solid, Talbot too, I’d take any of them honestly. I just don’t want to see the centers being strictly Pleks-Gomez-Eller/DD-White. There is no reliable guy for late game defensive zone faceoffs or the late game offensive zone faceoffs which is what would help this team win with its current system in place. That’s where I see Drury fitting in as a commodity.

• CanadienFanTrappedinNiagaraFallsNY says:

I agree with your reasoning, its just that there is only one center on the team I really want replaced, and I don’t think Drury is the guy there…

36. Mikey_39 says:

Great Signing, very happy about that. Sad to see the Wiz leave us, but I think we all saw it coming. I don’t think we would be able to offer him what he is able to get on the market, keeping in mind that we have our young core to sign next season.

Ok so, question…Why not go after Jamie Langenbrunner?

37. TomNickle says:

Sabres just acquired Christian Ehrhoff’s rights from the Islanders for a 4th round pick.

• Mike D says:

Makes you wonder we could only get a 7th for Wiz’s rights. I’m happy cuz it’s better than nothing, but I find it strange we could get so little.

- Honestly yours

• TomNickle says:

Yep. Don’t like it. But maybe he couldn’t get more.

• Stuck_in_To. says:

I’d respectfully suggest that the Wiz is not the player a lot of posters are making him out to be. I’d take Erhoff over him in a second b/c Erhoff can take care of his own end. Wiz is a great asset but he is not a 1/2 pairing and he is only a 3/4 pairing because of his scoring. So he has to be balanced out. And even if you disagree, the other factor has to be a team’s interest in signing the player and their belief they can land him. These up his price in all ways.

• Mark C says:

No kidding. Erhoff has 3 seasons of 10 or more goals and 40 or more points. Wiz only has last year. Erhoff has played in 77 or more games in each of the last 5 seasons, Wiz has only played over 70 once.

• Mike D says:

Ehrhoff is a more complete player defensively and I would probably take him over Wiz too if I were a GM.

Kinda goes both ways….I would say Wiz brings a few things to the table that Ehrhoff doesn’t either, like his grittiness. Both have good point shots, but I think Wiz’s is superior overall.

- Honestly yours

• alestar says:

I always wonder about guys that get traded or move all the time…on one side people argue the they are sought after, but on the other hand 4 teams have felt the Wiz is not indispensible…

Don’t get me wrong…I liked him, but I’m not devastated that we did not tie up a pile of money on him for a huge contract either.

XXIV…and counting

• RGM says:

Wiz is going to July 1st, no doubt about it. If there’s no chance of a guy signing before he hits the market the return is less. Obviously two teams feel as though they have the $ and the environment suitable to signing Ehrhoff.

During the long summer, we all get to be pretend GM.

• habs78 says:

You have to look at it this way also: CBJ only have a day and half of rights to the Wiz….not a lot of time….so 7th rounder is not bad considering.

• Stuck_in_To. says:

Plus, depreciation and market timing. He gave us 30 plus games and we picked him up when he could play. He can’t play right now. The urgency of PG’s acquisition cannot be compared to the chess game of off season moves.

• LA Loyalist says:

We arguably would not have made the playoffs without Wiz. So PG pulled it out with that move, dontcha think? It was the first thing he did that impressed me.

• Mike D says:

For sure. Buffalo got even less time for Ehrhoff’s rights from NYI, but still paid a 4th rounder for him.

- Honestly yours

Just a few more moves by Gauthier and we will be having our parade next spring boys and girls!
    Do you agree TIMO!

39. habs78 says:

I like Weber, and I’m glad that we were able to sign him, and for a cheap price. As for JW….would’ve loved to see him in a Habs uniform again this season, but I’m glad we got SOMETHING for him, rather than letting him sign for the big bucks on Friday….with nothing in return.

Now lets get some big scoring power!!!

• Stuck_in_To. says:

I agree. I doubted JW was going to sign with us. What could we offer him that he could not get plus more on the open market? This was his kick at the megabucks can. Add to that we already have Markov and PK on the PP, and that Webber makes sense on the PP too, and the scene in MTL. was not in his favour.

40. habs001 says:

some posters laugh at g campbell of boston being a minor league player..he did score 13 goals …moen,eller,pyatt combined scored 2 more goals…

41. SeriousFan09 says:

Another good signing by the Habs brass, Weber has a lot of room to grow in over the next two years and at the very least, he becomes a much more valuable trade asset if other bodies do end up replacing him.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
    SF09 on Twitter

42. gerrybell says:

this is a good signing but perhaps JM could finalize realize how to use him properly!

either as your #6 Dman that you have play the point on the 2nd PP unit (1st when Markov blows out his knee again) or as the 4th line forward/7th D man that you use on the PP.

this guy is a good solid player but should be a powerplay specialist for us especially if we use him sparingly on the 4th line.

seems like the habs PP slipped a bit this year because we stopped setting up our d man at the top to blast away. seems to me when our PP was #1 for a couple of years there, we had guys like Striet and Bergeron bombing away. even souray before that.

allow markov and PK to get these changes with the first unit and allow weber to run the 2nd unit. no brianer.

g
    b

• Stuck_in_To. says:

Point men are key, for sure, but if all they can do is bomb away the opposition quickly figures out how to neutralize them. Our PP was successful when we had both good shots from the point but also the option to distribute which, to be effective, requires guys who can both make space or find space in tight. I think both Gionta and Cammy fill the bill. Our PP should be even better this year with both Markov, Subban and Webber. Does Yemelin have a shot?

• Mike D says:

According to Tom, who’s seen him play, yes he does. Not in the same way Wiz, Souray, Streit, et al have, but a decent point shot nonetheless.

- Honestly yours

• gerrybell says:

teams adjusted to the habs style of scoring on the PP by covering the guy up high more which allowed our forwards to score down low. penalty killers cant have it both ways. gotta cover one or the other.

i think the habs spent too much time down low last year and this is why we saw our PP drop to #9 after being #1. not hard to look back at the stats and see our D hardly scored.

g
        b

• longbow says:

Problem with the bomb on the PP is thus…..With Markov in his usual position on the left point you need a left hand shot for the one timer from the right point.Weber and Subban are neither.To benefit from Subbans shot you need him on the left point to one time it coming on a pass from the right. Therefore It doesn`t make any sense to me that we would have Markov and Subban both on the 1st PP unit.

43. naweed235 says:

i read that a lot of people feel that we need another depth defenceman who is big and strong… is’nt Paul Mara the perfect candidate? I honestly do not see why he was taken outta the line up at the end of the year… he was playing pretty good from what i remember…

• Un Canadien errant says:

Mara is a good fit as a spare parts defenceman, better than Hamrlik in any case. He complements our group better.

———————————

• Mike D says:

I mentioned this very same thing a few posts down. Mara as a spare defensmen is a perfect fit IMO. He seems to get along well with the guys in the room too, so no issues there to worry about, and he would accept his role as a spare guy without making waves.

- Honestly yours

• kempie says:

I agree, and at the end of the playoffs I said that the $750k he was getting, that wouldn’t be a terrible guy to have around as a #6 or 7. I like the guy and he is big and has no problem looking after the nasty stuff. Plus he was playing much better this time around. But now, what with the Gill signing, Spacek still around and the Hamrlik scare, I just don’t know. I’d like to see where this is all leading because I have a lot of faith in PG. He’s shown me so far that, he is pretty inclined to do the smart thing. I know he’s not just going to spend his remaining $14M or so on 4th line pluggers and that he’s got something cooking. I’ll wait and see because I have no idea where he’s going.

• alestar says:

I liked him this past spring…much more than the first time around. He brings some grit to the D, a perfect 7th, IMHO…much cheaper than Hammer.

I could live with Hammer for one more season if we could ditch Spacek, but we have to let Weber and Yemelin get enough ice time to actually develop.

XXIV…and counting

• habstrinifan says:

BIG AND STRONG to back up intensity. Mara isnt that.

44. Sean Bonjovi says:

Say, isn’t $3 million kind of steep for Dwayne Roloson?

* Ville Leino would make Sergei Samsonov look like Alex Kovalev *

• savethepuck says:

Elite goalies make 5 or 6 million, he’s not elite, but he doesn’t suck either. He was a big reason they made it to the conference finals before a couple of bad games against Boston.

“That beautiful bastard scored semi-conscious.” On the Rocket’s Game 7 game winning goal against the Bruin’s April, 1952

45. Un Canadien errant says:

Wow, I’m not wasting my time on this time. Mr. Gauthier listens to my suggestions and is embracing my vision.

First he signed his RFA’s who will be important pieces in the future, such as Desharnais, Pacioretty.

Next he locked up Andrei Markov for essentially the rest of his career, at a reasonable cost, and for a reasonable term.

At the draft, he stockpiled assets, going for the best-available player instead of reaching for immediate need, not repeating the historic gaffe of taking Doug Wickenheiser (on a besoin d’un gros joueur de centre…) instead of Denis Savard. Instead they followed the more recent example of taking a Carey Price instead of Gilbert Brule, taking a player who projects to have a long successful career in bleu blanc rouge.

He even threw me a bone and traded down in the third round for two fourth-rounders, meaning we have two more talented longshots instead of just the one. I promise this one works out Mr. Gauthier, let’s do it again next year.

After that, he made an offer for Roman Hamrlik, which I had pleaded he not do, but it was quite manageable for the team at one year and low dollars. Mr. Hamrlik decided not to accept, so there is no damage, and more importantly he has signaled to the youngsters on the roster that they will have to step up now, it’s their turn.

He confirmed this by signing Mr. Weber for two more years, again to a very favourable contract for the team.

Finally, try as he might he couldn’t make Mr. Wisniewski fit in the team’s salary structure, so he has traded away his rights to Columbus for a longshot draft pick. Again, as much as we would have liked to retain James, he has worked his whole career and overcome much adversity to come to this point and he’s eager to select where he will sign, for how much and how long. Hard to fault either guy on this parting of the ways, we didn’t have long enough to convince James that this city and team is the best environment for him to play. As much as we savage Mr. Briere for choosing Philadelphia over his hometown, it’s hard to dislike James for taking a crack at playing for the Red Wings, the team he idolized as a youth. And if things don’t work out James, you’re welcome back any time.

Now, Mr. Gauthier and I agree that the UFA cupboard is bare, so we’re not going to sign insane Kovalchuk-type contracts, or even worse, Martin Lapointe-like type contracts. If we find decent value players at a reasonable price we’ll sign them, and may even take a flyer on a talented player who underperformed so far, kind of like another team’s version of Benoit Pouliot. We’ll hope that the change of scenery and proper coaching can unlock that guy’s potential.

All that’s left is signing a backup goalie at a reasonable price, and Mr. Gorges for a longer term, as we see him as a big part of our future.

Mr. Gauthier, thanks for heeding my advice, don’t listen to the haters out there, and I’ll make sure to continue to provide my counsel on this forum.

———————————

• Bill J says:

Loved this post top to bottom, with one small correction to make.

Technically speaking, Briere’s hometown team would be Ottawa. Due to Briere coming from Gatineau, which amounts to being the Quebec suburb to Ottawa.

• LA Loyalist says:

Good post. Only 1 comment. how are we supposed to rejuvenate someone else’s head cases when we can’t fix our own? (SK, Poo, The Tender One)

Good signing. Let’s give this kid a decent chance over the next two years to prove his worth.

Unconfirmed reports have Jagr signing for 1.4M in Pittsburgh.

Kariya made a smart move. Savard should take note.

47. OneTimer says:

Hey dudes,

5’11, 198 is rather beefy, no? I think Weber isn’t as soft as people think.

48. TomNickle says:

Could the Habs have signed #68 and follow it up by acquiring another #68?

Jagr still hasn’t signed. And I remain adamant that Jagr’s #1 choice is Montreal if Lemieux hasn’t seriously persuaded him to come to Pittsburgh in the last ten days.

49. TomNickle says:

The Leafs acquired the rights to Max Talbot and are likely to overpay for the opportunity to have him in their lineup.

But I would love to see him turn down a lucrative offer from them and sign a below market deal with us.

Only because it would be funny.

• avatar_58 says:

I forget do we even have a GM? Seems like the habs have a job opening

• TomNickle says:

We’ll find out soon enough. $10 million in cap room and a huge hole in the top 6 forward group leave an opportunity to show that he’s got the stones to put the team over the hump.

Cammalleri, Gionta and Subban can’t be the only sources of offense we have in next years’ post-season.

• Garbo says:

pleks, pac, markov

• TomNickle says:

Plekanec really hasn’t contributed offense in consecutive post-seasons now. Pacioretty hasn’t competed in an NHL post-season and Markov will help but not enough on his own. Just my opinion.

• LA Loyalist says:

So Tom, who would YOU spend it on (that’s actually available, not Richards who won’t come here) OR do we sit in the weeds and wait until someone is desperate later in the season…

• TomNickle says:

I wouldn’t spend it on a free agent. I’d use the money to acquire somebody via trade.

And if I couldn’t make a trade, I wouldn’t spend it.

• LA Loyalist says:

I think we’re in agreement. There is no free agent power forward who really excites me.

That was one of the main reasons I wanted to sign Wiz, so we would have depth for a trade in March without giving up a kid or leaving us with a hole.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

That 5 goals worth of truculence should be worth about 2 mil a year to Brian Burke.

* Ville Leino would make Sergei Samsonov look like Alex Kovalev *

Tom I know you think Stamkos is going to Tbay, I heard this afternoon from a friend with Leaf ties that Burke is talking to bay about trade and apparently stamkos wants to come. Just a rumour but my buddy has decent contacts.

• TomNickle says:

Your buddy is blowing smoke, or somebody’s blowing smoke up his rear end. Sorry.

Compensation for Stamkos by way of offer sheet is four first rounders. Burke would have to give up Schenn, Kadri and two first rounders as a starting point. And I say that because Tampa isn’t vulnerable. They have all of the leverage because they can match any offer sheet and don’t need to move Stamkos out.

New Jersey on the other hand, with Parise, are in a situation where they either have to move salary out or move Parise out. He’s a much more realistic target for everyone.

• habsfansince91 says:

I’d rather have stamkos than parise though

• TomNickle says:

Me too but if Parise comes at half of the package I’d rather have him. Another way of looking at it is that if Parise can be had without giving up Price, Subban, Eller or Pacioretty, I’m for it. I highly doubt the same could be said for a Stamkos push.

• habsfansince91 says:

True. Parise can be just as effective and it won’t cost us as much as Stamkos would.

• LA Loyalist says:

Stamkos is from Unionville, which is where I’m from (Markham, northeast suburb of Toronto) so you never know.

• mdp2011 says:

Not true, as per Bob Mckenzie and Nick Kyp

@TSNBobMcKenzie
      Bob McKenzie Max Talbot’s rights have not been traded to TOR or anywhere else. Talbot’s rep has had permission since Sunday to talk to other teams.

@RealKyper
      Nick Kypreos #NHL news. Pat Brisson who represents #Penguins Max Talbot has let people in the media know Talbots rights have not been moved to #Leafs

50. Keith says:

Well it sucks that The Wiz isn’t coming back as I really liked him, but if he goes to Columbus we won’t have to see much of him either.

51. Mike D says:

Very happy to see Weber re-signed. Assuming Gorges is re-signed, which I’m sure he will be, that gives us 7 Dmen for next year. Wouldn’t mind seing another added to be a press box guy we can call on when/if required. Mara would be perfect for that IMO.

Sucks to see Wiz go, but there was a good chance we weren’t going to keep him anyways.

Now, if JM can just give Weber some quality playing time to develop I’ll be that much happier.

- Honestly yours

52. secretdragonfly says:

Another quality player’s career ended prematurely due to concussion. Good luck, Paul.

• habs-hampton says:

A shame. Almost 1000 points in a career that ended too soon (actually ended years ago). He oughta sue Gary Suter. Still remember that play as one of cheapest shots of all time.

53. SmartDog says:

FILL IN THE BLANK

The Habs are ____________ away from being a serious cup contender.

54. Hobie Hansen says:

Lets see what Weber can do full time I guess?

Heck if Weber and Yemelin are on the ice instead of Spacek and Hamrlik I’m happy.

Hopefully Gauthier still might sign another D on Friday though because we could certainly use some bulking up back there.

Markov, Weber, Gorges, Spacek are not exactly big strong defensemen if you know what i mean.

55. habstrinifan says:

I would take 1 Doug Gilmour for any 3 BIG PLAYER who may be available today. But I think you are being unfair using him as a comparison. Doug Gilmore was an exceptional playoff performer.

All I am asking for are maybe two INTENSE players with the physical ability to impose their presence on the ice and thus give our present corps of outstanding youth more leeway to ply their trade.

Let me put this question to you. How much more effective a season do you think Plekanec and Cammy will have if they had a BIG INTENSE … note the key word INTENSE.. linemate feeding off their skills while being their shield. Before you answer that look at Subban on the play he reacted to Chara’s shove of Max Pac after Max Pac had scored. Intensity from Max Pac breeds intensity.

The loss of the fire of Max Pac affected us not only in scoring but in on ice chemistry.

Now put Max Pac and Subban on the ice with a BIG INTENSE READY TO PUSH BACK team-first type person (you pick anyone).. see I know you are SMILING at the prospects.

And just for the heck of it have Emery sitting on the bench as Price’s backup!

EDIT: OOOPS! This was meant to be a reply to LA Loyalist post re Doug Gilmour.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Anybody who knows a thing about hockey can easily look at the Canadiens and notice that is exactly the type(s) of players they are missing.

Good post.

This team is a Shanahan, Neely or Kesler type player away from glory…

That is where you think of Gomez. Imagine we really had a 7 million dollar player instead of Gomez. We’d be sick good!

We could have any center in the league at that price lol.

• habstrinifan says:

Agreed! Heck just imagining a Shanahan type on this team makes me smile and want an unbalanced schedule where we play Philly Boston and Toronto 66 out of our 82 games.

With the right infusion of merely two players this habs team could be reminiscent of what we used to be like.

I mean think about it. Cammy/Gionta/Subban/Price/Max Pac/Eller/Pleks.

And Yemelin.

If you can name me a better, more exciting, looking core I am listening.

I don’t want to sound condescending, but you kids don’t how lucky you are to have the Internet today. Back in the 80′s I knew nothing about draft picks. Oh I heard about Wickenheiser and knew the Habs drafted well in the 70′s but I was not that well informed. Hockey for the most part was on the ice. There were no farm teams, there were no prospects. There was the NHL and that was it. Even the Canada Cup was for the most part, NHLers.

I mean that in terms of perception.

So be grateful that you can come online and share your points of view with others and can at the same time learn from all the comments and links to articles found here. I know I certainly do. It just puts the youngest amongst us ahead of the curve.

————————————————————-

Which brings me to my next point. I’ve read a lot about offer sheets and the suggestion that the Habs make one for Stamkos. If done it would probably be the most expensive one to date. And a funny thing happened to me on my way to trying to find out what the highest offer sheet to date has been.

————————————————————

I’ve made the case for tanking and two stellar examples of teams that didn’t tank were always the Devils and the Red Wings. However I’ve pointed out that the Devils were an expansion team to start off with so they benefited from many top picks. I know they didn’t pick Scott Stevens and could never figure out how he became a Devil.

————————————————————

Offer sheets.

In 1990 St. Louis GM Ron Caron made Washington’s Scott Stevens a four-year, $5.1-million contract offer. An arbiter awarded the Capitals five first round draft picks. A year later he went after New Jersey’s Brendan Shanahan. The teams went to arbitration, with the Blues offering Curtis Joseph, Rod Brind’Amour and two draft picks as compensation. But the arbiter leaned Jersey’s way and awarded the Devils Scott Stevens, meaning the total cost to St. Louis for signing Brendan Shanahan was five first round picks and Scott Stevens.

————————————————————

That’s my feel good post of the day.

source: http://bit.ly/lj6TW5

• D Mex says:

Draft picks ?
      It was impossible to be Habs fans in those days and NOT know about draft picks, and how guys like Frank Selke and Sam Pollock turned heaven & earth upside down to get their mitts on guys by the name of Beliveau and Lafleur.

No farm teams, huh ?
      Habs #1 farm club in those days was the Nova Scotia Voyageurs – the Voyageurs were widely considered to be an NHL calibre club. They briefly had a goalie named Ken Dryden, and played against the likes of Hershey (Bears) and Rochester (Americans). Of COURSE there were farm teams.

And we ALL knew ALL about this stuff, because that’s what Habs fans did …

ALWAYS Habs -
      D Mex

57. Dwayne33 says:

I was talking to Drew Macintyre last night. I asked him if he was going to be Price’s backup this year. He said he doesn’t think that the Habs are going to sign him again. He isn’t giving up hope, but he said it isn’t looking good. He said they told him they don’t think he is quite NHL ready. I asked him about the controversial goal that put the Bulldogs out of the playoffs, and he is still upset about it. We both agreed the goal shouldn’t have counted. He was also pissed about the non call at the end of the game when one of the opposing players covered the puck in the crease with his hand. Should have been a penalty shot for the Bulldogs and he said he would have liked their chances cause Dawes was going to take the penalty shot. I already knew, but he told me two of his buddies went to the KHL (Dawes and Boyd). Drew is a great guy and a great goalie. I really wish PG would give him another chance!

58. Chris says:

Since people are playing “Sign an RFA Roulette” today, I thought I’d summarize one of the more bizzarre and influential RFA signings in NHL history.

In the summer of 1990, the St. Louis Blues offered Scott Stevens, then of the Washington Capitals, a 4-year, $5.145 (total, not per year…ah, the 80′s…) contract. The Capitals wisely did not match, and the Blues were obligated to pony up their first round pick for the next 5 seasons. Washington used those picks to select Sergei Gonchar, Brendan Witt, Nolan Baumgartner, Miika Elomo and Jaroslav Svejkovsky. Gonchar and Witt were both good players, but you could certainly argue that the Blues won that transaction.

Now the surreal part. The following summer, the Blues AGAIN went to the RFA market to sign Brendan Shanahan, this time from New Jersey. The problem here was that they no longer had any picks to offer as compensation. The two teams couldn’t agree on compensation, so an NHL-appointed arbitrator was forced to decide between the Blues offer of Curtis Joseph, Rod Brind’Amour and two non-first round picks and the Devils request of Scott Stevens. The arbitrator ruled in favour of the Devils, and Stevens was on his way to New Jersey, where he would play an integral role in helping Martin Brodeur shape an NHL dynasty.

While on topic, you simply can’t beat the Toronto Maple Leafs for being unlucky or reckless (take your pick) with trading draft picks. We all know how the Leafs got nailed with the Phil Kessel trade. But go back to 1989-90…they had an exciting young core developing (Vincent Damphousse, Daniel Marois, Ed Olzcyk, Gary Leeman, Mark Osborne and Al Iafrate) that made them optimistic they were poised for great things. They dealt their first round pick in 1991 to the Devils to acquire Tom Kurvurs, a decent puck-moving defencemen in that era.

As opposed to watching their core grow together, Leafs fans watched in horror as the team imploded in 1990-91 (with Olzcyk, Iafrate, Kurvurs and Osborne all dealt through the season) and the team flirted with finishing last overall and therefore sending the rights to draft Eric Lindros to New Jersey. They were releatively relieved when it turned out to be the #3 overall pick instead, as Lindros was just too good to be true. And that is how Scott Niedermayer became a New Jersey Devil. :)

• TomNickle says:

The only thing that I would say sets the situations apart is that this team isn’t about to finish in a lottery pick position.

There are enough good veterans and youth with skill that this team will either make the leap toward being a division champ or elite team with growth or stay where they are.

Unless catastrophe strikes(Price getting injured). This team will be in the playoffs for the next three years.

Anything can happen, and I would far rather part with a couple of first for Parise than four firsts for Stamkos, but I wouldn’t bank on our 1st rounders turning into lottery picks anytime soon.

• HardHabits says:

You bastard. :-D And I mean that in a good way.

You beat me by a few minutes. Great post nevertheless. It adds to mine. More fuel for the fire.

• Chris says:

I laughed really, really hard when I saw that we both did roughly the same post within 10 minutes. Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery, so which of us should feel flattered? :)

59. Thomas Le Fan says:

As the NHL gradually becomes an No Body Contact league, which it for most intents and purposes surely will, you’ll see that all this makes sense. Sidney Crosby is finished and they can’t continue to have the best players out of action due to the likes of the Matt Cookes of the world.
    Me? I’ll probably start watching women’s hockey.

• Talik Sanis says:

Right, so after the greatest player of our generation gets taken out by a headshot, potentially ending his career, our league issues no suspensions and institutes no new rules. They add an addendum to the head shot rule that already exists, that did nothing in the first place to protect Crosby or punish those responsible for his injury, and they have given no indication that they will change anything. Over-the-top physical play is, in the opinion of our Lords and Masters, a necessity to attract non-hockey southern markets to hockey, as it plays so great a role in the appeal of the successful Flyers and Bruins franchises, therefore they only pay lip service to making the game safer by eliminating brutal, life-altering and gutless cheap-shots.

Thus, we will become a no contact league.

60. mysterycog says:

What a Bunch of Debbie Downers..SHEESH…. You guys Can’t even wait to see what the team’s gonna look like this year and you’re already throwing everyone under the bus..A Tich of optimism goes a long way gentlemen.

61. G-Man says:

Just to bug the posters that believe PG can do no right, he goes and trades the Wiz’s rights. Then, when all are in disbelieving awe, he signs Mr. Tiny to 2 years. Weber has a slap shot. He may know how to get in the way. However, his lack of physical play makes his side an easy corner to go to because the forward knows he won’t get hit and will have time to make a play. If he could hit like Bouillon, the Habs would have something. As it is, he’s MAB II, the sequel.

62. SmartDog says:

Let’s be honest.

We have some good resources on the blueline that might mature in about 2 years. By then Gomer will either be up to a torrid 15 goals a year or yodeling in the Swiss league. Keeping the best of the guys we have, prepping for our next big harvest in 2012 or so, and adding a true goal scorer and some toughness in the meantime we’re looking at a POTENTIAL serious cuprun, not now, but a couple of years from now.

Right? So any signings now are part of a plan to push the team in the right direction by make it stronger for the coming years… and not necessarily a LOT stronger now. That’s how I see it.

• Timo says:

Right. Since the present has nothing to offer (again), lets look to the future (again).

• TomNickle says:

I’m of the opposite way of thinking. With what the Flyers and Bruins have done with their cores, the time is now.

Philadelphia made themselves weaker in the short term by dealing Richards and Carter. Boston is weaker in the short term with Savard gone and a very thin defense corps.

The time for the Habs is now, not in a couple of years. Because in a couple of years, Rask will be close to Price, Seguin will be an elite player and Hamilton could be an elite two way defenseman. Very comparable to Pronger actually. Philadelphia will have Voracek, Simmonds, Giroux and Van Riemsdyk entering their primes and will have Schenn coming along nicely.

We need to strike while those teams are developing. With Cammalleri, Markov and Gionta having only three years left on their deals the window of opportunity is small for the Habs. Acquire an elite first line player or somebody who can compliment Plekanec and Cammalleri and make your run now, because Philadelphia and Boston will be as elite as any Western Conference team in a couple of years. In fact, they’ll probably be the best two teams in the NHL. Oh yeah, and a healthy Pittsburgh lineup could be trouble too.

• LA Loyalist says:

I don’t think we’re that far apart in thinking, really. Getting rid of Gomer and getting a stud forward would put us 2/3 years out from being very competitive.

Serious thinks our kids are 2/3 years out. Lots of things can happen in that length of time! Think how many posts we have to write between now and Christmas, 2015. Arghhh!

• TomNickle says:

He can think are kids are two to three years out all he wants. Nobody can predict the future. But I’m saying that if this team wants to make a move to be a Cup contender while Philadelphia and Boston stay just average enough to beat, the time is now.

This team with an elite forward with Plekanec and Cammalleri is as good as anyone in the East. Allowing Kostitsyn to play with Eller gives this team forward depth that rivals any club.

63. Chris says:

Good signing…$850 k cap hit over the two years is very affordable for Weber.

64. cheezboie says:

1. Good luck Hammer! – Need to get younger on the Blue Line therefore Weber>Hammer. 2. Didn’t get much for the Wiz but at least less a chance that he signs with the Boo-ins or Maple Laughs. 3. Let’s go get some sandpaper Rupp or Konopka for the bottom six!

My armchair GM 11/12 Habs –
    rough salary guess-timates in brackets = cap hit of 57.927 mill
    leaving 6.373 million for getting a solid 2nd line center / adding sandpaper (cap ceiling 64.3 million)

Camm 6 – Pleks 5 – AK46 (off-wing) 3.25
    MaxPac 1.625 – Desharnais 0.850 – Gio 5
    Darche 0.7 – Eller 1.27 – Palushaj 0.883
    Moen 1.5 – Engqvist 0.900 – White (0.9)
    Gomez 7.357 (try to dump on a team that needs to fill cap floor)

First call up – Russell?

Markov (lefty) 5.75 – Gorges (lefty) (3)
    Gill (lefty) 2.25 – Subban (righty) 0.875
    Yemelin (lefty) 0.984 – Spacek (lefty) 3.833
    Weber (righty) 0.850 (can also use as RW/PP specialist a la Streit)
    Diaz (righty) 0.9

first call up – Nash (lefty)

Price 2.75
    Auld (1)

-0.5 Laraque buyout
    (would be better if could move Gomez and/or Spacek)

Gomez for captain of the Hamilton Bulldogs?

65. Chuck says:

Aaaaand Roloson signs for 1 year, 3-million.

66. SmartDog says:

For the money, Weber’s got a couple of good tools, and is both a good gamble and a fair investment. Plus, playing with the likes of Markov, etc. he’ll pick up a few tricks. I LIKE to see us keeping our own developed guys and 2 years is probably the right play here, though if he turns out to be very good, we’re gonna be wishing it was 3.

67. Kooch7800 says:

Would be great if they actually played webber. He won’t get better in the press box.

Somewhere Lucic is trembling in his little boots.

69. habstrinifan says:

Just driving hom from work after no radio access for entire day. One of the best days for PG, I think.

Wiz’s negotiating rights to Columbus for 7th and very likely 5th.

Hammrlik out of the picture.

Weber signed!

Good so far… now let’s get some of that physicality we need.

Keep it up PG.

Edit: I very much like the prospects of our defense corps as it stands NOW (assuming Gorges is signed) bolstered by a realtively cheap BIG BAD INTENSE D-MAN who need sonly be a presenc eon the ice. Many have poooh pood O’Brien but he is the type I mean.

• shiram says:

What’s this positive stuff?
      Clearly we are tanking this year, and for years to come!
      Pg is a vegan clown, and Jm is an old farts loving francontarian.

Get with the times man.

70. D Mex says:

I was afraid of this.
    Would have much preferred to see Wiz stay and this money could have been part of that. I don’t see Weber as a difference maker on D in this league – too small.

ALWAYS Habs -
    D Mex

• if you are going to criticize, be fair, wiz and weber are the same height, wiz has 10 pounds on weber

10 pounds is not a realistic basis for criticizing size

• D Mex says:

OK then, how about the word ‘ timid ‘ ?
        Weber plays small and tends to bounce off of what he is willing to hit. He fills a roster spot until something better comes along – this is as fair as I can get with this guy.

ALWAYS Habs -
        D Mex

• HabitantQuebec says:

I think Weber has the size of the Wiz but i think the 1.7 is very high for a 7th d or 4th! Very high! Dont see the point.

• gregg says:

it`s 1.7 over 2 years

• habstrinifan says:

It’s 1.7 total for 2 yrs.. cheap I think for someone with the potential of Weber. We gotta believe in our kids. We cant downgrade their assets because they are lacking in the SIZE we DO need. We should go out and get that SIZE to suround them.

Dont forget also that having been signed for this really minimal sum (for 2 yrs) Weber becomes quite attractive trade material to anyone who may need a young offensive specialist.

• LA Loyalist says:

Dougie Gilmour just said today he wasn’t 160 lbs when he signed in St. Louis, they had to fudge his weight up to that.

Didn’t stop him much, did it? Certainly we need some big tough players, I’m always advocating that, but talent is talent and heart is priceless. And for everything else there is Mastercard.

71. The Dude says:

We’re gonna break Bruins hands with our faces!

72. 24moreCups says:

Yes! I got a feeling about this kid, let’s hope he proves me right!

73. LA Loyalist says:

Well good. He’s only 22, and with Markov to learn from, we have a nice piece of our future in place.

Good job PG.

74. rdiddy says:

possible that the Habs season starts with this roster – http://www.capgeek.com/cap_calculator/roster.php?id=3337

75. t1tan5 says:

What if…you know…Jagr really wanted to sign with the Pens and took a discount?

76. TomNickle says:

Look again.

77. CanadienFanTrappedinNiagaraFallsNY says:

Nice! I’d like to think that makes the Habs the favs again.

And as much as I read NO NO NO to Jagr here, the sad truth is unless we can swing some trade for Parise or go all-in on Stamkos, there is NO ONE we can pursue worthy of top line RW or C duty. Still hoping for Gomer and picks to go for Stastny though…

78. LA Loyalist says:

… does that mean he wants more than 1 year $2M from us? With our higher taxes? Would we go $5M 2 years? What would you guys do? I liked him at 1 yr $2m, also.

Jagr was a great play for Pittsburgh as it buys them some scoring and more time for Crosby to fully, fully recover without a big commitment. I also think he and JM would be a disaster.

79. LA Loyalist says:

I hear there’s a cream for it…

80. Mike D says:

Max 1 year if we took him. I’m 50/50 on the whole thing. He might put up good numbers, he might suck, or anything in between.

As for the salary, as long as it doesn’t prevent any other plans the GM has in mind or handcuff us in any other way, then it doesn’t really matter.

- Honestly yours