Canadiens sign Joe Callahan

8470086

Update at 11:30 a.m.: Lars Eller is taking part in the Canadiens practice. Michael Cammalleri left after a few minutes. Carey Price is not practising. No sign of Blair Betts.

Lines at practice: Gomez-Gionta-Pacioretty, Cole-Plekanec-Eller, DD-Darche-AK46, Engqvist-Moen-Weber

D pairings: Gill-P.K., Diaz-Spacek, Gorges-Emelin

General manager Pierre Gauthier has wasted no time in shoring up his depth on D.
After losing Jeff Woywitka to the Rangers on waivers and having Chris Campoli injured in the season opener, Gauthier has signed Joe Callahan, a 28-year-old journeyman with 46 career games with Florida, San Jose and the Islanders.

The team announcement:

Montreal Canadiens general manager Pierre Gauthier announced today the
signing of free agent defenseman Joe Callahan to a one-year, two-way contract (2011-12). As per club policy,
financial terms of the agreement were not disclosed.

Callahan registered one assist in 27 games with the Florida Panthers in 2010-11. He served 12 penalty
minutes and recorded 21 shots on goal. He added 13 points (4 goals, 9 assists) in 48 games with the Rochester
Americans of the American Hockey League (AHL).

Callahan, 28, played 46 career regular season games in the NHL with the New York Islanders, San Jose
Sharks and Panthers. He has registered four assists, maintained a +5 plus/minus differential and served 16
penalty minutes.

Since his professional debut in 2003-04, the 6’03’’, 210 lbs defenseman appeared in 450 career regular
season games in the AHL, registering 100 points (19 goals, 81 assists) and 359 penalty minutes.

A native of Brockton, Massachusetts, Callahan was drafted in the third round, 70th overall by the Phoenix
Coyotes at the 2002 NHL Entry Draft. He joined the Panthers as a free agent on August 3, 2010.

1. eeffvv says:

Good news: this website ((http://itshrunk.com/cd9649) ) we has been updated and add products

and many things they abandoned their increases are welcome to visit our website. Accept cash

or credit card payments, free transport. You can try oh, will make you satisfied.

2. Cohen Chatter says:

Does Pierre Gauthier purposely seek out players of decent size who are afraid to drop the gloves? Joe Callahan had a handful of penalty minutes. Ditto of Blair Betts and Chris Campoli. At least Paul Mara stood up for his teammates last year. The Habs got bounced around by the Leafs. We needed Josh Gorges to get his face bloodied to stick up for Campoli after Ryan Malone’s hit. Travis Moen can barely skate for his $1.5 million a year. The Habs should have rolled the dice and signed Sean Avery. They need some grit! But then again Gauthier and coach Martin believe fighting has been banned from hockey.

3. immortalhab says:

Martin has to be the worst coach of all time. Same guys on power play and penalty kill? And why let Price get knocked down twice in a game and let his players do nothing?

• cojohnso80 says:

I highly doubt that I am the only one pissed off at the fact that Management continues to employ a head coach that stands there with a dumb look on his face during crutial stragtegy timeouts while a rookie assistant coach is the acting general drawing up the battleplan. WHY DO WE HAVE A COACH that is not competent in communicating an effective strategy? I am so sick of this I want to puke. By no means am I asking Jaques Martin to open his fat stupid mouth at any time during the game,,he is most effective doing nothing,,but for god sakes lets get ourselves a freaking benchBOSS.

• --Habs-- says:

Don’t worry! Martins on his last leg. He needs to produce this year beyond a round 1 exit. His job is on the line! Its not the team on the ice that worries me its the motivation and lack of effort “Jekyll and Hyde” mentality! Who will show up tonight? When a team isn’t skating or comes out flat then comes back the next game and looks hard to beat it tells me there’s a lack of preparation and thats coaching. Honestly in Ottawa the lack of a cup wasn’t Ottawa not having a good team it was coaching. He did nothing in Florida! And now we’ve put one of the most sought after franchises in sports in the hands of somebody that’s never done anything! They measured him in wins and losses during the regular season instead of what prize he came home with. Lets face it! Ottawa had one of the if not the best team in hockey for a period under Martin and the result was “nothing”

4. RiverviewCanadien says:

Am I the only one that feels Pleks on the PP point should be able to work, and actually liked what I saw last night? Dying minute of the game is another example of Pleks on the point. He did his part.

Come on, Cammalleri & Co. are the ones who need to score. Pleks holds the blue line (and can play the half wall, but that should be Mike’s realm), plays hot potato with Subban, can feed Subban or Cammalleri, Pacioretty/Cole providing the screen. That first wave should score PP goals more often than not.

Plekanec is a VERY dynamic hockey player, this team is lucky to have him.

5. Chris says:

Caught my first Guelph Storm game of the year tonight. The Storm are expected to struggle this season, but got out to a nice 3-1-1 start before tonight. Unfortunately, they got absolutely jobbed by one of the most pathetically officiated games I’ve ever seen…as bad as NHL refs are, you realize after watching some OHL games that they are the cream of a terrible crop.

A few Storm players caught my eye, but Matt Finn has especially improved and could rocket up the draft rankings this season. His skating has improved tremendously, as has his confidence level with the puck. He is starting to look increasingly like another Drew Doughty, which is high praise in Guelph. He’s got good size already (6’0″, 200 lbs., and he’s a strong kid) and has some offensive punch. Like Doughty, he’s got the body to throw some massive hits in the OHL, and definitely loves to do it much more than Doughty did.

6. j2w4habs25 says:

another loss and another Dman name Callahan?? whats going to happend now? lets just trade gomez!!

Carey Price #31

7. j2w4habs25 says:

what the hell happend lastnight? I thought I was watching a hockey team that just got up with a hang over!

Carey Price #31

8. Hobie Hansen says:

Just finished watching OTR and Stu “Grim Reaper” Grimson is one sharp dude.

He now practices law and is a big believer that the enforcer is an important component that every team should have.

Smart man.

So no faith in Yemelin? PG is an idiot. Keeps wasting money on useless no names who would most likely see very little ice time anyway. Instead, spend some money on getting some trainer to toughen these guys are. They are more fragile than a crystal statuette my girl “accidently” dropped on the floor last night. What a waste of a GM and coach we have.

10. Rad says:

Joe Who??

Sounds like the brass is desperate, after just one game.

11. so don cherry hates lefties

yet he gets paid by taxdollars

discuss

12. Mark C says:

Danny Kristo is putting is best foot forward (sorry, had too) by leading a third period comeback with two assists. Mark MacMillian has an assist and his first of many NCAA points to come.

13. stevieray says:

Sittin’ here tonite with my Suggler’s Cove ( dark rum ) …..did it seem to any one else that Cole never was himself after Rosehill nearly decapitated him in th efirst period.
    Also the Callahan sighing …16 minutes in penalties !!!…just what we need ….

14. timothy13 says:

Can someone please tell me what the heck happened to Markov? I thought he was healthy? Scratched? Not? Anyway, lets hope for a win Sunday so the big Thanksgiving meal will digest and the whiskey will be fine afterwards. Lets iron out the problems and settle down and get on the score sheet. Big time!!!!!!!!

15. C_exacte says:

i would go out and drink but i’m hung over after trying to understand our coach’s logic

16. twocents says:

Don Cherry said something very revealing last night, at it wasn’t something he intended to shed “light” on. In fact, if he realized the implication, he would held his tongue. In his bit on questionable hits, he pointed out the easy mark of an intended head shot: when the hitter acts as if nothing happened, he almost certainly intended illegal contact.

This is all that needs to be said about the Chara hit on Pacioretty. Chara acted like he didn’t notice Pacioretty was involved in the play at all after he nearly decapitated him. I remember thinking how incriminating that was at the time.

And to comment on the Wendel Clarke vid below, notice how every big hit featured was perfectly legal, delivered to the body and avoiding the head. Did this suddenly get harder to do?

As for the Robinson video, there’s never been another like him, so waiting around for one is gonna be a teensy bit futile.

• ProHabs says:

You lost me at ” Don Cherry said something very revealing last night”

• twocents says:

You shouldn’t be so easily thrown off, if you kept with it, you would have seen that my comment wasn’t very complimentary towards Cherry in the end.

• habsbeens says:

The difference between the Habs today and yesterday is yesterday the Habs acquired the Robinsons. Today it’s other teams that acquire the Charas and the Prongers.

I agree that it is not easy to acquire these players but it is not impossible. If there is a will there is a way. Habs management in my opinion lacks the will to skate a rugged team.

• twocents says:

Chara, couldn’t carry Robinson’s jock. Pronger maybe his jock, but not his whole equipment bag.

• habsbeens says:

Both Pronger and Chara are champions and dominant elite level players.

I’d take either of those two any day of the week.

• twocents says:

But that’s not what I was talking about: whether or not I would take them. My point was that Robinson stands alone.

• habsbeens says:

What you said is that neither could carry his jock strap which could be literal or figurative. I doubt it’s literal because a jock strap although not heavy the thought of carrying another man’s is either disgusting or humiliating. So whatever you meant it wasn’t very clear. Maybe you should have just said that in your opinion Robinson is in a class by himself. Needless to say even though I agree with that statement to a certain extent it is also my opinion that Chara and Pronger represent players of the same ilk and category. You may disagree and that is your prerogative.

Robinson is one of my favourite Habs of all time. Nevertheless he has retired. The gist of the thread here is that you stated that there will never be another like him. I agree that there will never be another exact Robinson unless cloned however I contend that by today’s standards both Pronger and Chara are very much like him and play a role on their teams not unlike the role that Robinson played for the Habs.

There was only one Lafleur. There was only one Gretzky. There was only one Mario Lemieux. It doesn’t mean that players of their ilk will never come again.

To suggest so is to allow oneself to accept futility. I do not subscribe to such a defeatist point of view.

I don’t understand the tendency to resign oneself to accept 2nd or 3rd best. I thought we were Habs fans who expect the team to be elite. To be a winner one must think like winner. Trotting out the word futility is in my opinion contrary to that concept and idea.

So pucknut and I think a few players in the mold of Wendl and Larry are what the Habs are missing. Your post seems to dismiss it. You are entitled to your opinion. I don’t share it.

Respectfully.

• twocents says:

Of course the Habs need players like Larry, no one is disputing that, every team needs them. And yes, Pronger and Chara would both have been nice additions, but I am still allowed to say neither, especially not the latter, deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as Robinson. We are talking about a player who is one of the best defenceman of all time. A total package player who altered the flow of the game on nearly every shift, in his prime. +730! 958 points! Never once a minus, even on some questionable teams.

• habsbeens says:

You sir are correct. I misunderstood and I apologize.

• Da Hema says:

While Chara and Pronger are fine players, Robinson was +120 at the end of the 1976-1977 regular season.

‘Nuff said.

• twocents says:

Good to see, you get the point.

As for Chara and Pronger, sure I would have taken them on the Habs. Pronger is the real deal. He’s still no Robinson as you point out. But, in my opinion. Chara’s reputation exceeds his on ice performance. I still would take him any day, but he’s no Robinson.

• PeterStastny26 says:

Totally agree.

• JD_ says:

Brought up precisely the same thing with a friend who had come over to catch the game last night. Chestnut effectively indicts Chara, baptizin’ the act an attempt-to-injure with his holy spittle.

This notion of lookin’ straight ahead when all the mayhem is transpirin’ behind or beside you – an inherently unnatural reaction – was brought up by a former player – don’t recall who it was, might have been on OTR – when the whole thing went down last season.

The irony of the act is it seems to imply one isn’t lookin’ cause nothin’ has happened, when, in fact, the sound of MaxPac’s helmet crashin’ under the pressure of Chara’s raised elbow and directly into the stanchion was loud enough to not only wake the dead, but also a half-dozin’ Red Fisher up in the pressbox.

That is some unfortunate shiz, man.

It’s in the past and MaxPac is healthy and back up to speed.

Chara’s legacy will, however, remain tainted. It’s not quite Steve Smith bein’ confronted by a sherpa in some remote corner of Nepal, but it’s up there.

• twocents says:

The thing is, as tainted as Chara may be by the incident, he still escaped formal justice in any meaningful form.

I suppose one can properly view that fact as a stain on the league, but that’s cold comfort.

You’re right in that it’s past, but Cherry’s little bit got me a’thinkin’ an’ I’s jus’ decided t’ puts it down here, hear?

• JD_ says:

The dent in Chara’s legacy is small solace – very small – no question, $0.02, but, absent that, there’s really nothin’ else because nothin’ else will ever come of it as far as that lowlife is concerned. Far as the NHL is concerned, it’s open and shut.

The point regardin’ the incident bein’ in the past is also of the same mindset; it’s not to suggest anyone drop it, just that MaxPac’s fate could have been much worse. Lookin’ for positives arisin’ from such a heinous act takes some lateral finaglin’.

Havin’ said all that, although I do not ascribe to any imaginary deity or guidin’ force, I do have room in my personal mental toolkit for karma.

And, as you know, karma works both ways.

And she can be a real b!tch. It was pretty noisy in the pub the night of that hit, but I’m almost certain I heard her whisper, “You live by the board, you die by the board.”

• twocents says:

The fact that Pacioretty is where he is today is not lost on me. That much mental side stepping, I am more than capable of.

As for karma, or poetic justice at least, it is notable that the high priest of garbage would be indicting his own. Which in the end, was the meat of my post.

• Trisomy 21 says:

Karma has a funny way of working, after all, Chara just got to hoist the cup this passed summer

• JD_ says:

And, yet, despite that, he’s still that immaturely vindictive guy who broke a rookie’s neck over the most banal of slights.

Imagine that.

It’s about what defines a man.

That’s why karma’s such a b!tch.

• habsbeens says:

In this case it was Chara’s Dogma that ran over Pacioretty’s Karma… at least if we’re to believe Don Cherry. Which I don’t.

It was an unfortunate incident, actually a horrific one, and thankfully Pacioretty survived. However, any discussion or assertion about intent is speculative.

What goes around comes around. Unless your a Habs fan. In that case what spins its wheels in the mud stays put, moving neither forward or back.

Hubris needs to enter the HIO lexicon.

• JD_ says:

Intent is as irrelevant as reckless disregard is.

Generalizin’ about anyone, let alone Hab fans, is cheap.

Even worse is hidin’.

• habsbeens says:

Karma and Hubris are not mutually exclusive.

Intent and Reckless Disregard however, are.

As for generalizing about Habs fans. It wouldn’t have been the first time it happened, not including this instance by yours truly, nor will it be the last.

As for cheap. That is your opinion and you are entitled to it. From my perspective you’ve scraped well below that line with your comment.

And yes I think Habs fans are exceedingly guilty of Hubris and it is my perception that every one can benefit from a certain amount of Humility. Myself included.

To hold and fill to overflowing
            is not as good as to stop in time.
            Sharpen a sword-edge to its very sharpest,
            And the edge will not last long . . .
            Withdraw as soon as your work is done.
            Such is Heaven’s Way.

• JD_ says:

Re-read the first sentence a few times.

Great discussion.

Thanks.

• Fansincebirth says:

I thought the exact same thing when he said it and wasn’t he the one who defended Chara when he did it?

The man is a moron and needs to be fired and/or replaced. He’s a pathetic dinosaur who only has eyes (flutter, flutter) for the Leafs and Bruins.

17. mike3131 says:

I’m a rare poster but a frequent reader and there was a previous thread (and probably many others) down below suggesting that we should’ve signed/traded for a bruising defenseman over the summer. I suggested back in July/August that a simple solution would be Cory Sarich. He’s a short term commitment because he’s in his contract year. He’s big, tough, poised defensively and finishes checks with aplomb. He’s a RH shot, something we’ll be lacking once Emelin and Markov are in the lineup and he’ll come at a cheap price. IMO, I think we’d be pretty good if we can dress the following d-corps:

Markov, Subban, Gill, Gorges, Sarich, Emelin

Thoughts?

It’s not about the size of the dog in the fight; It’s about the size of the fight in the dog.

• GrimJim says:

I think Sarich would be good as well, but I’m not sure Calgary will let him go at all, much less let him go cheap. Calgary is not deep on d, so they may decide they need him to fill the Robyn Regehr role, seems like no one else can. Calgary GM has said he wants to stockpile draft picks for 2012 (the farm is pretty bare), so he’ll be pushing for a lot, I think.

18. Neutral says:

we have a better team than Toronto and we loss. we have a better team than the winnipeg jets, let’s see what happens there sunday.

19. Bozo McBozo says:

This just in! The Habs throw the towel in on hockey and sign: Tyler Durden!!!!

• habsbeens says:

HIO Rules

1st RULE: You do not talk about the Habs needing an ENFORCER.
      2nd RULE: You DO NOT talk about the Habs needing a GOON.
      3rd RULE: If someone asks for toughness on the team, You must say that the Habs don’t need an ENFORCER or a GOON.
      4th RULE: Only other teams fight.
      5th RULE: One fight is one fight too many.
      6th RULE: Turn the other cheek, hide your head in your neck.
      7th RULE: Fights will go on as long as the NHL exists or until Don Cherry passes away.
      8th RULE: If you are to be a TRUE Habs fan, you HAVE to be opposed to FIGHTING in Hockey.

20. Bozo McBozo says:

This squad of has no jam. They ain’t gonna do “jack!”

21. Mike D says:

A lot of doom and gloomers out today. New seasoon, new site name, but the Commentariat remains fickle. Some things never change I guess.

For the glass-half-empty folks on here, I understand the frustration of watching our guys get outmuscled, outplayed, etc., and ultimately lose to the hated Leafs. I too was frustrated, but mostly at the fact that we were dominant in the 1st period and then inexplicably totally flat in the 2nd and 3rd. Worry not, friends. It’s a long season and we will have some brilliant games, a few stinkers, and some almost-got-its. Remember, we lost the first game last season too, and also to the Leafs. Where did we finish? Where did they finish?

Patience.

– Honestly yours

22. Mark C says:

Boy genius just had his goalie run and knocked over by Eric Staal. Still waiting for a response from his team…

23. bolder says:

The team will once again be near the bottom in goals for this year. It’s boring, hockey under JM. Pitt opens up in Vancouver last night with 3 goals and a win in a shootout without the best player in the league. Habs lay a goose egg on opening night with the likes of Cammi, Pleks, AK, Cole, Gio, MaxPac and so on, in their line up. What a joke more count hockey this year.

24. Mark C says:

Bournival already has goal number 10 on the season. Now one goal behind the league leader, in 6 fewer games played. Greg Pateryn has scored off a Mac Bennett helper. Oh yeah, Morgan Ellis has another point with an assist, giving him 7 points in five games.

25. VancouverHab says:

On “fighting” in the NHL, how about this.

We all of us agree that concussions are an abomination, and steps to reduce their occurence to the merely accidental (I mean, playing hockey in any situation has potential for accidental concussion) are to be encouraged. I think that the rule in soccer that charging is legal, but only shoulder-to-shoulder and with < three steps evolved to allow hitting but disallow concussive injury.

So it seems to me that hockey fighting is less concussive (far less) than hockey hitting. The concussion damage cases that come to my mind were from hits.

I don’t think that fighting (sport fighting) — boxing, MMA, etc. — is barbaric: it seems rather to be socially salutory in many ways. Getting shots to the head over years is harmful — but I don’t want to take out of society everything that I personally happen to feel is harmful: as long as reasonable limits are in place, lots of behaviors and activities need, in my view, to be the free choice of consenting individuals.

I wrote below that fighters are not alone in living with pain: I can’t believe that Travis Moen has less pain and damage, the way he plays, than a fighter. (I saw him from 12 yards away last season block within a space of five seconds two NHL-calibre slapshots where padding is thin-to-absent. And that was just one PK out of 82+ NHL games!)

I think that there is a bit too much of a mythologising project here with fighters: both detractors and advocates seem to hold the myth of the noble gritty figghter (from some Dashiell Hammett novel or Simon & Garfunkel song) who “…has it tougher ‘n the resuvuz.”

26. Harry says:

Jeff Woywitka was a certain loss the moment he was placed on waivers ( maybe Gauthier hoped the claim price would be too high…he was wrong, if that was the hope) and in hindsight the waivers move was a couple days too early…..

I hope Mr. Molson seeks out other views on the team management decisions, because at some point he has to choose between “bad luck” and management “bad decisions”.
    There were less risky, less expensive ways to cover for risks,as Markov, Gorges injury recoveries all around and responses to team needs.
    Selecting Price over Halak should not entitle Mr. Gauthier to carte blanche…as the decision was in large part a financial “no brainer”…
    and Price’s potential was widely known….
    But Gauthier has made some weird choices and one for sure….if Cole was a great choice I hoed for it years ago it too when he was so great against Montreal …it should have been 5 years ago…a great player but can he do it again?…
    Why did Gauthier not get serious about Jagr one of the greatest players and in good shape and Gauthier declined to have him play here…obviously a better choice with Plekanic…
    Mr. Molson…both coach and G.M. are not going to give a winning team but dollars-wise the G.M. is great as he anticipates injury $$$savings…but there are still ways to profit and have a cup winner helped too with an encouraging, winning crowd….

• Mark C says:

Woywitka was not a certain loss. There is no claim price, other than paying his contract. Woywitka had to be sent down when he was, Montreal had to pare down to 23 players on the active NHL roster. If you’re going blast the GM maybe you should know some of the NHL rules, no?

• Harry says:

His price was the Canadiens roster amount according to the rules…
        maybe it has changed..in any case it costs the Habs nothing more on the contract…so the team is off the hook financially…

• Mark C says:

Rangers just have to pay him his contract, just like if he was a free agent, that’s it. Yes, Montreal is fully off the hook for his contract and cap hit.

27. Stephan Cooper has worked long and hard to make a detailed preview of the upcoming Habs season in several parts. Part 1 and 2 are out now, covering the Habs special teams:

Part 1:http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2011/10/6/2457461/2011-12-season-preview-part-1-the-power-play

Part 2: http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2011/10/7/2457464/2011-12-season-preview-part-2-the-penalty-kill

28. Chris F says:

It`s one game but the problems of last night mirror exactly what the problems were last year.
    Too small, too easy to knock off the puck, nobody to push back when our little guys get pushed around and abused, too much passing on the outside, small centers continually stopping short over the blue line instead of going hard to the net, too much reliance on Price to post a shut-out, etc.
    At times, great teams need to win when they`re not at their best. Boston won the cup because they could out score teams, or beat them up and wear them down. We cannot always expect to skate and pass our way to wins.
    PG has tried to build the Red Wings in Montreal. It was a good thought, however, Markov is not Lidstrom, Plekanecs is not Datysuk, we have no Zetterburg, ….
    It is great to watch our team when they’re skating, passing, shooting, but all too often in times passed teams start to push back and change the game to hitting, pushing, cross checking after the whistle, etc.
    Our little guys can take a lot, we have mastered turning the other cheek, at times, it seems to even work. But then you see the damage and the toll it takes. Time and time again we get hurt, we get tired of bigger bodies leaning and pushing and hitting us all game long, all season long.
    I had hoped that after the Boston incidences last year, PG would try to find a remedy, make a trade and shake things up to add some grit. Some true toughness to add to our skill.
    I guess we will have to wait for Ryan White’s return. Maybe he and Moen can form a dynamic duo?
    Sad to see Komisarek laugh in Moen’s face last night, really sad when you think how badly he was beaten down by Lucic and know he’s laughing at us.
    Teams know there’s not a damn thing we can do to hurt them. Yeah we can skate, we can pass sometimes, but we can’t hit, our D is just too small to strike fear into a real contender, and because of our size the boys are going to get beaten down eventually.
    I will cheer them on every game, but without changes, I fear shouting for PG to create some existence of physical pushback is in vain.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Great post!

• stevieray says:

all good points …you did omit one glaring weakness..our inabilty to score 5 on 5 ….beats me why we can’t ..we couldn’t last year and it appears although early things haven’t changed .
      Is it just me or Cole appeared not to be the same after he was almost decapitated by Rosehill in the first period( or whatever his name is )

29. Pucknut says:

Don’t get me wrong, I’m a die hard Habs fan; but, I believe that when the Team gets one of these the puzzle will be complete!

30. caladin says:

So I think a lot of people here would agree that we could use a Dman who is intimidating enough to improve our “team toughness perception ratio” and who is also skilled enough to be on the ice a lot, especially at key moments. Someone who could provide for us now what Larry Robinson provided in his day.
    So who would fit the bill? Ignore, if you would, availablity and cap hit.
    Top 2 would have to be Pronger and Chara(not that I’m suggesting we try to get Chara -no thanks)
    but who else?

• Hobie Hansen says:

Literally ever team in the NHL has a defenseman who fits the bill you are describing.

There are players like Weber (Shea) or Chara who have both offensive flair and toughness or there are guys like Orpik or Schenn that are strictly stay-at-home defenseman.

It’s stunning how Montreal doesn’t have one player on defense who plays that type of roll…

Hopefully Gauthier does something about that and doesn’t sit on his ass until Tinordi is ready.

I think Gauthier has one more chance to succeed with his model of flash and dash, even though we can’t score, before getting the boot.

If the season finishes with a bunch more injuries and the Habs getting pushed around and knocked out of the playoffs by a big and tough team, he’s done.

• habstrinifan says:

Many of us spent the whole darn summer begging PG to sign a big bruising D-MAN. Hope HIO doesnt mind me saying it bluntly.
        The whole damn summer!

• Hobie Hansen says:

Yeah and every time you’d suggest it you’d have 10 HIO posters come at you and call you a thug or a Brian Burke lover lol. How dumb was that!

• Mark C says:

Who was that big bruising D-MAN? Don’t really remember any who were UFA’s this year.

• habsbeens says:

I can’t see the current edition of the Habs winning four rounds of NHL play-off hockey. Not unless it’s on the back of other worldly and dominant goal-tending. I believe Price is capable of it but not if he plays more than 60 games in a season. However even with that being said and with the defense corps the Habs have I doubt that even Price can carry the Habs all the way alone. Not to mention a forward crew incapable of scoring on the PP let alone 5 on 5.

====================================

Whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong. – Oscar Wilde

• punkster says:

Gimme a name, one name, of this saviour. Was he available this summer? Are you positive PG didn’t try to buy/trade for one?

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• Mark C says:

Stop that, every team has one. Montreal just missed their chance when they did not re-sign Paul Mara!!!!11! He has too much grit and sandpaper for the Tofu Dog eating GM!!11!!

• There are teams that don’t have big physical stay at home defensemen, they’re just generally poor defensive teams like Anaheim or Columbus. Montreal however is an excellent defensive team in spite of not having that player. The hope is that Emelin will become a physical presence in the NHL.

31. LL says:

All last night’s game means to me is, I won’t be keeping it for summer viewing. I expect more sucky games. And amazing wins.

I’ll just file last night’s game under Meh, and look forward to the next game.

32. cuzzie says:

Mr. Harper please save the taxpayers and shutdown the CBC. Mr. Cherry try FOX NEWS USA. My Canada does not need your type. I apologize to my fellow Canadians but this man is a Neanderthal.

Stay Thirsty My Friends!

33. The Cat says:

Seems like Steve Jobs wasnt such a great guy after all…

• Kristopher7 says:

He was still a genius. Way to take an article with every single bad fact or rumour put into one to tarnish a nice image.
      What have you done lately to change the future of the world, commerce, computer technologies, or in any other aspect?
      Don’t have an answer? Didn’t think so.

• The Cat says:

I didnt write that article you silly man.

• habsbeens says:

OK. So let me get this straight. If, hypothetically as you say, The Cat hasn’t done anything to change the future or the world, you suggest that he has no right to point out Steve Jobs’ shortcomings as a human being, and that he has no right to point people to the other side of the story.

It is people with your attitude who welcome tyranny in their lives and cheer for the tyrant while spitting on the down trodden. You my dear fellow lack in compassion and are obviously unable to question authority let alone have a singular thought which hasn’t been fed to you.

Unreal how some people can be so close minded when it comes to the things they worship. You are no better than a Creationist who discounts scientific evidence or an Atheist who belittles those would believe in something that has no scientific evidence to prove it or live by faith alone.

I imagine you also think Habs fans should blindly adhere to their team and not criticize it or point out failings or faults when they see them.

Which reminds me of this famous quote:

Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. – Benjamin Franklin

• Trisomy 21 says:

What about you Kristopher? Why don’t you tell us how you’ve changed the world for us? All Kitty Cat did was post a link, don’t get all anal about it. Why so up tight? I always see you going around jumping on people for insignificant things

34. habsbeens says:

Taken from Puck Daddy.

Chris Nilan’s take:

“I’ve never said I don’t want fighting in the game. I’ve always said there is nothing wrong with two guys dropping their gloves and going at it. Now, do I believe there’s something wrong when a guy calls a guy a week before a game and says, ‘hey, we’re gonna go next Tuesday night’, I think that’s total [expletive] and it’s foolishness. Do I believe a spontaneous fight that happens after an incident in a game where either one of your players is attacked by someone or given a cheap shot by someone, or you yourself receive a cheap shot or someone calls you out and asks you to fight … do I think there’s anything wrong with that? I don’t think there’s anything wrong with that whatsoever. It’s within the rules of the game.”

“I don’t think they should take fighting out, and I never said it.”

===================================

The Habs issue isn’t fighting. It’s that they are either soft or small or both. Spacek got tossed around like a rag doll. Komisarek by comparison delivered a few bone crushers. The Habs played scared again, on the periphery. Again a defense man gets injured. I would welcome a Chris Nilan back on the team along with any assortment of tough players the Habs used to have before they went all Euro. Now they stock the team with North Americans but Cammy, Desharnais, Gionta, Gomez are not going to push anybody off of the puck anytime soon. Add Plex and Spacek and it’s more too small, too soft, too peripheral.

Add to that Steckel completely destroying the Habs in the face-off circle. It’s a wonder the game was as close as it was on the scoreboard.

I wouldn’t be surprised if this year the Leafs finish ahead of the Habs in the standings.

===================================

Whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong. – Oscar Wilde

• The Cat says:

Yep habs forwards get pummeled in the opponents’ crease, and the habs D dont reciprocate that on other teams’ forwards.

• Hobie Hansen says:

There was a moment in last night’s game where Gomez was on his rear end after a whistle in the Leafs end and the Leafs player was giving him the business and not letting him get to his feet.

Gomez lost his cool for a moment but you could see it in his face that if he carried it further he’d have to fight because nobody on the team would come to his aid, so he shrugged his shoulders, shook his head and skated off.

Gionta also was jousting with Schenn and komisarek and nobody came to his aid.

Get some players in there to stand up for our stars.

• habsbeens says:

Lemaire, Lafleur, Henri Richard, Cournoyer, Naslund, Lebeau and a host of other smaller and skilled forwards never fought either. They never had to. The game was as rough back then if not more so than now. The difference. No instigator rule and no staged fights. Fighting back then had a purpose. Now fighting is a side show circus.

It’s not only about fighting. It’s about team character. As much character as the Habs have they will always reach a tipping point where their spirit will be willing but the flesh will be too soft as long as they skate the type of teams they’ve been putting together since the Euro mentality took over. I don’t doubt the Habs courage one bit. They have mental toughness and that is important. It’s not enough though. It’s like trying to put together a football team of talented running backs and wide receivers without paying attention to the ruggedness of your offensive line and blockers.

I’ve read here that some people put forth the proposition that it’s not the size of the dog in the fight but the size of the fight in the dog. Unfortunately the Habs have neither size nor fight. Unless the Habs start cloning Stan Jonathan Habs fans are in for much hear-ache in the form of a variety of humiliations, both on the scoreboard, in the standings, in the trenches and in the alleys.

=================================================

Whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong. – Oscar Wilde

• LA Loyalist says:

I presume you are referring to Gomez as a “star” with a brushstroke broad enough to paint the sky?

That said, this problem isn’t new, and many of us worried about it all summer. I remember Dougie Gilmour, all 170 lbs of him having to take on a guy that ran Theodore in Buffalo. That was obviously a while ago, and we still have the same issue?

35. RGM says:

Remember the great and wonderful Benoit Pouliot that a couple people were lamenting the other day?
    Benoit Pouliot on being scratched: “It’s no problem. I’ve just got to keep working. I’ll get in lineup any way I can. Not a big deal at all”

———————–
    GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is our year!

36. shiram says:

Habs need to work on when they change trios and d-pairs, I don’t think I can stomach it if we get as many Too many men on the ice penalty as last year.

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

37. doug19 says:

I was diapointed habs lost but happy for TO.They are better and will be even better still when the 8 new players jell. There defense is a lot better. Montreal didn’t have any luck but Toronto didn’t give them alot of time to shoot (which habs always take the max). Also TO didn’t give up alot of odd mans and their goalie was solid. Good on them they may surprise this year. Grabowski wow he is good!

• deuce6 says:

Did I make a wrong turn at Albuquerque or is this not HABS inside/out? o_O

——————

Yes, I’m a Hab fan..Wanna fight about it?

• j2c says:

“Happy for TO”? give me a break they just won one game, and they missed the playoffs last year with a near healthy squad for almost the entire time. But somehow you think that they will be better then the Habs this season? I think the Habs will only get better once they develop chemistry, and TO will not be as lucky as they were last night even if they get their injured and suspended players back into the lineup.

38. doug19 says:

I like habs in the first skating and great outlet passes. The defense was fast made great decisions and can skate. Missed the short handed goal. What I noticed later was the small forwards fighting for the puck along the boards in TO’s end.This is not that great a bet stuck behind the net with 200 feet to skate back.What happened to the skating game? I saw that patented of late years hab forward move of zipping down the ice, then stopping to let opposition catch up check and block lanes. That always bugs me.
    I never saw Beliveau,Richards,Shutt, Lafleur,Ferguson,Nylans etc do that.
    If I was coach that would be my mantra.You only stop skating when you come to the bench. That is the only place you don’t skate! Price skated more in the third than some!

39. PeterD says:

If a tree falls in the forest and no one is there…does it make a sound?

The answer to Don Cherry is simple…when he comes on the TV…change the channel to RDS or anything for the next 5-7 minutes …even muting the TV doesn’t help because he wears such nauseating cloths…

Let’s face it…the guy is an embarassment to all things hockey and Canadian…

If we don’t like him, or what he has to bleat about…DON’T WATCH.

This been my technique for the past few years.

40. I finally saw the cherry rant and… my jaw dropped while he was saying “were never going to see this again!” whilst a clip of stevens decapitating paul karya was being shown…

I usually refrain from commenting about this guy, I exercise my freedom of choice by watching RDS only… but holy sh[tballs how can this guy be such an out of touch d[ckhead?

41. doug19 says:

Posted to Chris Nilan

Cherry should have been gone along time ago.Last night was just horrible. You have so much more class and know what you are talking about. You would be the perfect replacement. Even though I don’t speak French I am switching to RDS. At least there I may learn some French and they have real NHL players not “the minor league butcher.”

42. Kooch7800 says:

Wow sounds like a habs support group than a fan site in here.

If people hate the team so much why do they cheer for them?

• habsbeens says:

You confuse hate with criticism and blind adherence with love.

==========================================

Whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong. – Oscar Wilde

• Bill J says:

You mean like you’re confused about what type of site this is ?

IE: this is not a website to come to only trash the Habs, and not get called a Troll in the process.

Judging by your Screen Name & the posts you’ve written (the one where you call Hab Players female genitalia is Pure Troll Gold)

Troll Along, Trolley McTrollerton

If you want to add an avatar here, read this and follow the steps

43. Hobie Hansen says:

I can’t comment on what Grimson, Nillan and the other nobody said because I honestly didn’t hear it.

But all I can say is; Thank you Don Cherry!

And thank you to Spezza, Gionta and Hall for confidently saying they would not like fighting removed from the game on TSN the other night.

Great to hear the truth from real hockey people and players instead of bloggers and journalists who have never played the game.

• shiram says:

I’m really interested to hear about your professional hockey carreer.

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

• Habsrule1 says:

Fighting is one thing, and I want it to stay, but saying that we are going to miss the hits that ended players careers and might impact their lives negatively forever is just plain disgusting. If I never see a player unconscious on the ice again, I will not be upset about it.

Go Habs Go!!

• HabFanSince72 says:

Next up: Hobie tells us he wants to hear junkies’ take on drug laws, and the Montreal construction industry on what to do about organized crime.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Hey I’m just saying i agree with what a former coach of the year and the captain of the Montreal Canadiens said. Don’t get mad at me?

• No, what you’re saying is “these opinions matter, the rest don’t”.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Andrew, I actually have conflicting emotions on everything that has transpired over the past year with fighting, deaths, Crosby, Pacioretty.

I respect both sides but unfortunately, probably because the timing wasn’t right and out of respect for the people effected by the deaths and injuries, only one side of the story has been told.

So it was nice for some players and Don Cherry to come out and give their opinion. And yeah, Cherry was right that the sweethearts jumped allover the situation and twisted the truth.

• he also in the same breath not only twisted truths but lied about nilan and grimson

44. avatar_58 says:

Don Cherry is the fox news of hockey – spouting hate mongering nonesense mixed with right wing nutjobbery and ignoring any facts or counter arguements.

• HabFarmer says:

You forgot about SunMedia Corp as well.

“No, I see. The monkey’s out of the bottle now!”

• caladin says:

nah. Sunmedia corp isn’t slick or popular enough to be even mildly dangerous. They sell a lot of papers but nobody reads them so their agenda doesn’t really get much traction.

____________________

Keep Hope Alive

45. Habsrule1 says:

For those who have questioned the decision about Markov/Gorges:
    There is no debate, when healthy, which player is more valuable. Gorges was not going to bolt if he got a 1-year contract due to his age and limited value (I love the guy, but that’s a fact). Markov was not going to take less than 3 years, and he would have gotten that or more elsewhere.
    If we did not sign Markov and (God forbid) the bruins did, and he came back as good as he was….how much crap would PG take for the rest of his life? It is a risk that PG HAD TO TAKE.
    And I hope like hell in works out!

Go Habs Go!!

46. G-Man says:

Nasty “vote” question today after the 1st game. Guess it might mean more hits and “views”.

Last night was a mess. PK playing like his first couple games last season cost the 2 points. Then again, so did the indifferent play of AK, Enqvist, Moen, Gionta, and Cammy. Cole looked interested but not quite in synch with DD and Darche.
    Price did a fine job- only allowing 2 is a great start for him.
    Reimer was very shaky and lucky in the first and, unfortunately, as usual, the Habs did not score.

47. VancouverHab says:

On this, the most recent, anti-Don Cherry vapours from posters and media at H-I/O.

I am on record as convinced by the Berkshire Argument against goonery. So.

But Don Cherry is smarter — by a country mile — than his detractors. This controversy, and “stern letters to the CBC” (groan) are his bread and butter. Don Cherry and his iconography is today front page news all across Canada, probably he’s in the US media too, and not just on the sport pages.

This is absolute jam for Don — it’s how he makes his living. Really, some people need to re-read their Uncle Remus. You who think you are his mental superiors are being laughed at — and long and hard — all the way to the bank.

Second matter. No-one — no-one — is addressing himself to the actual point at hand. Don Cherry points out the inescapable hypocrisy (at the every least the arrant opportuniusm) of the Vichy pacifism of the three ex-enforcers in question. He also directs–entirely deserved–odium at the rank politicking of the anti-fighting dogmatists who are, disgracefully, using the memory of three recently deceased as mere ordnance for their ideological campaign.

Mr. Cherry could also add that the behavior of the latter bloc is pure know-nothingness, since there is ZERO fact and ZERO rational connection between those deaths and their particular NHL careers.

In this case, and the first, Don Cherry is the voice of reason; his opponents by comparison a braying irrational mob.

• cuzzie says:

Cherry is not that smart.

Stay Thirsty My Friends!

• Bripro says:

You think he knows of what he’s talking about?
      A dinosaur wearing 1930s wallpaper.
      Here is what scientists and qualified researchers have found.
      This was posted yesterday. Credit to he who did. I don’t remember who. You can’t convince me that it’s worth the fight.

• cuzzie says:

Brian I don’t know how you think but in my case I totally hope that TSN wins the hnic contract with the NHL. I would wish our govt just shut CBC and rc. We’ll pay for what we want to watch and not what Big Brother wants us to watch.

Stay Thirsty My Friends!

• caladin says:

Tax dollars don’t pay for HNIC.
          HNIC pays for half of the programming on CBC.
          Tax dollars pay for the other half.

____________________

Keep Hope Alive

• ZepFan2 says:

“Don Cherry points out the inescapable hypocrisy (at the every least the arrant opportuniusm) of the Vichy pacifism of the three ex-enforcers in question.”

Maybe you can provide a link to any quotes by at least one of those players saying they wanted fighting banned. Or any of the other accusations that that senile idiot spewed last night.

Somehow, I doubt you’ll be able to.

———————————————————————-
      Welcome to the newer NHL: The National Headshot League.

• Here is the problem VH. None of Chris Nilan, Stu Grimson, and Jim Thompson ever made the claim that he’s purporting. That’s why Nilan got so pissed off last night. You don’t go on air in front of millions of hockey fans and call people pukes or scumbags over false information.

Second problem, the deaths of Boogard, Belak and Rypien were NOT used as anti-fight propaganda by anyone with any sort of credibility. People in the media who rail against concussions and fighting the hardest include Adam Proteau and Bruce Arthur, both of whom cautioned that the circumstances of each case were vastly different and that it would be difficult to connect them. What the sentiment was in the wake of those deaths, was that it was worse investigating why these three guys died, and if it COULD be connected.

What happened last night was Cherry unleashing impotent outrage at something no one said, in order to generate controversy. He has nothing to say anymore so he’s dependent on outrage.

Outside of that was his blame the victim diatribe on Pacioretty, which completely disregards his previous position that it was all the fault of the stanchion that Max broke his neck. Instead last night he insinuated that it was a premeditated act of revenge by Chara for a little shove after a goal. The insinuation was that Chara was justified in doing it, because of a little shove. That’s unacceptable rhetoric for someone as influential as Don.

It reminds me of when people blame rape victims for dressing a certain way. It’s a mentality that doesn’t deserve a soap box, and if it has one NEEDS to have a competent person to challenge it, which Ron MacLean gave up trying to do a decade ago.

• VancouverHab says:

Hmm: that’s disturbingly…factual.

On the MaxPac shove, I agree that the insinuation that the shove justifies the broken neck is dangerous. Don’s articulate defense would be that in the real world MaxPac-type diss’s result in anger which results in bad judgement and thoughs of revenge at later situations — and so “you kids out there” don’t do the diss. And that would be a good safety message.

On the propaganda side, I thank you for letting me see the context that no credible person was saying that the deaths were due to fighting. I’d get rid of headshots tomorrrow if I could, and the type of hit accordingly (so Don yesterday showing the Stevens hit was indefensible).

It comes to me that if anyone was going to self-medicate himself to death for NHL pain it would be my man Travis Moen, who must just live with pain the way he plays the shots he blocks the nets he drives. But of course he and thousands like him down the years do not and will not. (so, it’s not only fighters who live with real pain through the NHL.)

I’m going to listen again to the interviews on TSN (it’s he-said she-said between Don Cherry and the three at this point) and I’ll post a retraction on the point if none of the three said anything that matches Don’s charge (which I now realise I’ll have to listen to again, but precisely.)

For now, off to teach….

• ZepFan2 says:

Actually, I believe all three players will be on OTR tonight.

———————————————————————-
          Welcome to the newer NHL: The National Headshot League.

• I believe the correlation between pain killers, drugs and alcohol is usually made because of the combination of the stress of being a fighter along with the physical pain. Basically that losing a fight badly enough can ruin an enforcer’s career because there’s 100’s of guys in the AHL looking for that job. It’s the same kind of thing that Michael Landsberg brought up on OTR a few weeks ago about players hiding mental illness. Someone like Belak could never admit he suffered from depression openly. He lived his career on short term contracts, admitting something like that could end his career the same year because, as much as teams will say they don’t, teams don’t want to deal with it.

• Arrow77 says:

I agree that he’s being smart for the controversy he’s created but his argument is wrong.

There is nothing hypocrite about spending your career as an enforcer and change your mind once you learn the consequences of that way of playing.

As for the “no connection” between the deaths: fights leads to hits on the head which leads to concussion which leads to depression which leads to suicide. That’s a connection. You may not believe in it but some people do and now is exactly the time for them to make their case, just like it’s better to talk against drunk driving right after an accident.

• HabFanSince72 says:

“He also directs–entirely deserved–odium at the rank politicking of the anti-fighting dogmatists who are, disgracefully, using the memory of three recently deceased as mere ordnance for their ideological campaign. ”

Not really. Three men died too young and people are reacting as normal ethical humans do.

The thinking is that getting hit on the head repeatedly may predispose you to drug abuse and depression, for which there is some evidence. No one suggests that there is a direct cause and effect relationship – but human behaviour isn’t that simple, and neither is neurology.

So maybe their deaths had nothing to do with fighting but it is not meretricious to take these three examples as a spur to action. It isn’t “dogma” or “politicking” to want to make the sport safer.

• Stuck_in_To. says:

Reasoned very much like Don Cherry would reason.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…and You are a teacher/professor VanHab ? …You must have some VERY confused students

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

• VancouverHab says:

Well, Surrey old pal, I’m like all of us, in that at my job I wear my job cap and play a straight bat, while off the job I let loose a bit (good for the equilibrium) and enjoy a partisan argy-bargy from time to time.

48. Hobie Hansen says:

I’m glad to see Yemelin is practicing with Gorges today. I really hope he finds his game because it is next to impossible to win consistently with the type of defense Montreal iced last night.

Gill can rub guys out and block shots and PK throws a beauty open ice hit on occasion but overall there is no physical presence in the Montreal end. None!

Its nice to make pretty outlet passes and look good on the PP but the defense is supposed to be just that “DEFENSE”.

This team is missing a couple rugged stay at home defenseman that will make it a very long and unpleasant night for opposing forwards.

• Habifax says:

The issues with (Y)Emelin, to me, are….

Lack of foot speed – a bit too heavy and slow to react.
      If someone who can throw the nucks decides to go after him I think he will be in trouble.

If he can overcome these I think he can be a good NHL player but big ifs.

49. slychard says:

RDS reports Campoli injured his tendon du jarret and will be out for a short duration…what is a tendon du jarret? I’m a francophone and I don’t even know. Can someone translate in English please.

50. Neutral says:

never poke fun at the leafs, the result who had the last laugh?

51. HabFanSince72 says:

Top 11 Reasons Pierre Gauthier should be fired.

1. About 20 or so teams spend the full cap (or close to) each year. His team is one of them and has been solidly in the bottom quarter of those 20 for two years.

2. When he deigns to speak he treats the media (somewhat understandable) and fans (unacceptable) like fools that are beneath his contempt.

3. We have one defenceman (and only one) capable of playing the point on the powerplay. Our current D is quite possibly the 3rd worst in the East. (Don’t believe me, check other teams’ rosters.)

4. Does not have any kind of rapport with the players. Many well-liked players have left the team with sendoffs cooler than a Jeremy Irons breakup fax. Starting with Jaro Halak, who remains the cause of the most excitement we have had since Gauthier took over.

5. Keeps a coach who no longer has the fire.

6. Never even spoke to Wisnieswski (see points #3 and # 7) to see how much he wanted. At least ask!

7. Andrei Markov’s recovery is NOT going well. Stop saying the opposite and admit you screwed up.

8. Treated Josh Gorges very poorly.

9. Draft picks for rentals, who leave without a goodbye.

10. Latendresse, Lapierre, SK74. Gone for NOTHING. As for Halak – time will tell …

11. Peter Budaj. In baseball it’s a known fact that catchers who play too many games in early years burnout too soon. Price can play 75 games a season now, but how will his knees be in 5 years? (Not that Gauthier cares.) By not getting a competent backup for two years in a row he is forcing Price to overplay.

(Disclaimer: I don’t know what I’m talking about. Just shooting the breeze.)

• shiram says:

The breeze, I can’t decide if that’s easy or impossible to shoot?

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

• zak says:

Markov, two operations on the same knee in one year and gives him 3 years and 5.75 per. Josh first operation and says he wants to wait to see how the knee reponds. 1 year. Kept Picard. lost OB and since then has been searching for D-men

• Kooch7800 says:

We could use OB right now. I do like some things that PG has done:

1. kept price – Fans wanted Halak…..where would that leave us
        2. Brought in Cole…..wasn’t good last night but it was game 1
        3. Kept Markov……Say what you want when he is healthy he is elite and will come back dominant.
        4. Let Wiz go…Wiz is great but overall he is not worth anywhere near his salary and with Gomez under contract we couldn’t afford both with PK and Price up next year.

This team will be fine people. I do think we are thin on Defense and should have kept some more experience but we will make the playoffs. Give it until the first quarter of the season is over. It was one game.

Use the same logic….if we won last night would that mean we would finish first in the division and win the cup? No..

• HabFanSince72 says:

We will not win the cup this year. We are not competitive with the top 4 teams in each conference.

Not remotely.

However you are right that Gauthier also did some things right.

Most notably, kept Trevor Timmins, who seems by far the most talented member of our front office.

• Kooch7800 says:

Would you have picked Boston to Win last year? Probably not.
            I wouldn’t say we are a contender that is for sure but if Markov comes back and Eller is good to go, Betts on the 4th line I think this team will be tough to play against.

I think we will finished from 6-8. If Carey gets hot in the playoffs who knows what we can do. Carey Price is the key to this team.
            If PG listened to H I/O we would have traded Price instead of Halak and we wouldn’t have made the playoffs last year.

As far as Sergei Kost I don’t care he is gone…he isn’t that great and is a head case. Lattendresse was lazy and it showed even in Minny showing up out of shape and missing almost the entire season last year. Who knows how he will do this year.

Lappierre is a mouth piece who should be better than he is. His problem is between the ears. He has speed and can shoot but never seems to produce much. He is on his third team now since leaving last year….that should say something.

He also got Emelin to come over which the organization has been trying to do for years. If he pans out that is another plus.

Don’t get me wrong he isn’t perfect but I hate to tell you he is a lot better than quite a few GM’s in this league.

I also appreciate that the fans/media don’t know what he is doing.

Players should not hear rumours that they are going to be traded before they are. How does that benefit anyone. PG is a true professional in that regard.

• HabsFan1111 says:

I agree we could definitely use OB right about now, but I think Bournival will pay off in the long run.

52. Danno says:

I like this idea. Or even better, just watch the game on RDS instead:

Ghosts of the Forum says:
    October 7, 2011 2:25 pm at 2:25 pm

I’m not on Facebook, but if anyone wants to start a group to
    turn off the TV when Cherry is on, I think that’d get the attention of the CBC.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

Start it then! haha

I agree with you about watching on RDS instead — someone else mentioned it below as well. The problem there is that is just for Habs fans (and we know how well-respected and loved we are by HNIC anyway). Whereas, if it was a Facebook group it’d be non-partisan. I’m sure there are Leafs fans (well, sure is a strong word…) who hate Cherry as well. But they still want to watch the Leafs on HNIC. So if they just switched channels for Cherry’s segment, there would be a much more emphatic statement.

That said, I’d watch Cherry on repeat for the long weekend if it meant a healthy Markov back in full form next week…

53. CanadienBoy says:

Just like last years they will rebound ,but how many good coach can you let go to others club, how many Konopka like players because Martin don’t play them ,how many ex senator without cup do we need on staff and office ,the senators were a good team but too soft just like Martin ,Boucher does not look soft not at all

54. slamtherimtim says:

Dr Recchi

since markov had a setback and is now skating alone , when would you expect him back , or would this be him just testing it as any setback would indicate a bigger problem

thanks

55. HNS says:

Let me know when it’s time to panic…..