Canadiens sign Joe Callahan

8470086

Update at 11:30 a.m.: Lars Eller is taking part in the Canadiens practice. Michael Cammalleri left after a few minutes. Carey Price is not practising. No sign of Blair Betts.

Lines at practice: Gomez-Gionta-Pacioretty, Cole-Plekanec-Eller, DD-Darche-AK46, Engqvist-Moen-Weber

D pairings: Gill-P.K., Diaz-Spacek, Gorges-Emelin

General manager Pierre Gauthier has wasted no time in shoring up his depth on D.
After losing Jeff Woywitka to the Rangers on waivers and having Chris Campoli injured in the season opener, Gauthier has signed Joe Callahan, a 28-year-old journeyman with 46 career games with Florida, San Jose and the Islanders.

The team announcement:

Montreal Canadiens general manager Pierre Gauthier announced today the
signing of free agent defenseman Joe Callahan to a one-year, two-way contract (2011-12). As per club policy,
financial terms of the agreement were not disclosed.

Callahan registered one assist in 27 games with the Florida Panthers in 2010-11. He served 12 penalty
minutes and recorded 21 shots on goal. He added 13 points (4 goals, 9 assists) in 48 games with the Rochester
Americans of the American Hockey League (AHL).

Callahan, 28, played 46 career regular season games in the NHL with the New York Islanders, San Jose
Sharks and Panthers. He has registered four assists, maintained a +5 plus/minus differential and served 16
penalty minutes.

Since his professional debut in 2003-04, the 6’03’’, 210 lbs defenseman appeared in 450 career regular
season games in the AHL, registering 100 points (19 goals, 81 assists) and 359 penalty minutes.

A native of Brockton, Massachusetts, Callahan was drafted in the third round, 70th overall by the Phoenix
Coyotes at the 2002 NHL Entry Draft. He joined the Panthers as a free agent on August 3, 2010.

1. caladin says:

I vote for Kelly Hrudey.

2. Habifax says:

Ok. ALL YOU Kids out there…. Who should replace Don Cherry. Not supporting him. Just interested who you think can do a good job of it. How bout Brett Hull?

3. Ghosts of the Forum says:

I’m not on Facebook, but if anyone wants to start a group to
    turn off the TV when Cherry is on, I think that’d get the attention of the CBC.

• RGM says:

Or we could just turn off the TV. Ratings are the key. I haven’t watched a second of that moron since March 12th.

———————–
      GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is our year!

• Danno says:

I have already done that long ago. In fact I don’t watch HNIC at all because of the bombastic buffoon.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

4. RGM says:

What a buffoon. Here’s Puck Daddy recounting Cherry’s appearance on the radio today…”I never reget anything I say on ‘Coach’s Corner’ ever,” said Cherry. Though, he did say he regretted calling the three ex-enforcers “pukes”.

So he never ever regrets saying anything except for something he regrets saying.

Can CBC please end this guy’s job? The unemployment numbers for September looked good, one old codger out of work won’t ruin Canada.

———————–
    GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is our year!

5. Ghosts of the Forum says:

How’d y’all think Budaj looked last night? I thought he was solid.

6. RGM says:

Chris Nilan responds to Cherry’s diatribe: http://www.knucklesnilan.com/my-reply-to-comments-made-by-mr-cherry-last-night/
    “It was sad to watch and hear that from him. I believe he owes me an apology on air next Saturday night. That would be enough for me. My question being, is he man enough to admit he was wrong? I am not sure. I can’t answer my own question. What do you think?”

———————–
    GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is our year!

7. habsfan_61 says:

typical habs game good for 1 period or so then they suck. very much an incomplete game. much like last year it happened too often. but, game 1 is in the books lets move on to game 2.a few things that bug about this yr. are markie’s knee,5 on 5 scoring, lack of size(ad naseum for how many years now ?), once again with a too many men on the ice penalty(this is ridiculous already, we must have led the league in that category last yr). whose fault is that penalty? the player or coaching staff?. one other fear/question is have the players begun to tune out jm? if that happens the team better not fall too much too early, because we will have a hell of a time catching up, especially in the competetive eastern conference.

8. C_exacte says:

maybe if the organization limited the # of reporters allowed in the locker room there wouldn’t be a flu epidemic every month of every year, at least give them all michael jackson masks to wear, they aren’t even the ones on camera, but no they need 500+ beat reporters who travel miles and miles in freezing conditions to berate and inundate them about non game related stories.

• Chrisadiens says:

Ill go one further. I think the Habs should issue all the players full body plastic bubbles that they must wear at all times, except practice and games. Im tired of the yearly flu epidemic this team suffers from.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

9. Attention alarmists: This signing has nothing to do with the Montreal Canadiens. The Bulldogs are short on defense with Nash out. There is no chance whatsoever to we’ll see Callahan in a Habs jersey, ever.

10. caladin says:

I’d love to see Diaz on the PP with Subban

11. Vladdy Mondavi says:

Sigh… Perhaps the Callahan signing is to populate Hamilton’s blue line. But if, IF, it’s a mitigating measure in case of (another) injury, then why wouldn’t they sign a more veteran defensemen. In particular, I’m thinking Mara is still unsigned. Rugged, bearded, and familiar with the organization. I wouldn’t expect his salary demands being all that high.
    Perhaps, another impact in this signing (if it’s for injury purposes) is what kind of message is Weber getting out of it: “Sorry, kid, you have NHL-calibre skills, but you don’t have the brains to learn the position you’ve played your whole life.”

12. jo_maka says:

I don’t want to complain about last night per se, we will have good games and bad games.

What I want to see is the Count stop putting some of his veteran’s individual happiness ahead of the team’s welfare. It’s always the same people who has to make sacrifices for him.

When the lines get tweaked, Cammy never goes anywhere, even if he’s brutal. But AK is fair game. Now he has to have Plek at the point on PP, because he has to let DD play (because he’s a tricky little dynamo who’s breathing down Gomez’s neck) AND still wants to absolutely make Gomez look good. Good thing for DD, JM seem to like him. If he wants to make some experiments, how about letting the boys paid for the duty (Diaz/Weber) man the point and leave Plek at center. There’s no guessing for the opposing PK as it is, they know Plek ain’t gonna shoot, he’s gonna pass. They just focus on Cammy and Subban and down goes the PP.
    The 1st one we let in was because of Subban, but also in part because Plek as a forward doesn’t have the same reading of the play as a Dman, even though he’s a good 2 way center. So what about Weber ?

Again, I want to leave the emotion out of this, but I know, it’s Habs + Internet, that means raving and ranting IS the standard procedure, but it’s a real honest question for me. He wasn’t the only one with a poor showing in the preseason.
    _________________________________
    Open-mindedness is not a skull fracture

13. canadiens26 says:

It must be sooooooo frustrating to have to play with new line mates every couple games/practices. How is chemistry supposed to build?

• Habifax says:

I think JM figures if you play his system you can play with anyone at any time. At least this is my impression. I agree with you. I knew that the lines would messed up by the 3rd if the game didn’t go as planned. It was like he was throwing paint at a canvass.

14. caladin says:

Price has the flu?

15. avatar_58 says:

Between signing injured “hopefuls” and rejects no one wants this GM is losing it…

16. notjusttrash says:

Seriously, what I’d like to see is more news about the Cam Bros health (Cammy and Campoli)

Winter is Coming

17. cuzzie says:

All I can say is thank you Don Cherry for getting us hab fans all riled up, and forgetting last night’s game.
    Stay Thirsty My Friends!

18. joshua94k says:

The last time the Canadiens played in Winnipeg was in Dec. 12, 1995. They beat the Jets 6-5. Thibeault was the winning goalie.

19. AK_PK_Usay says:

By the way for those wondering why this website is no longer called “habsinsideout” its your beloved owned Molson who asked for that, as you might have heard he’s very fond of trademarking Habs, which should not be allowed as it is a nickname given by the city and he has no rights to it what so ever.

Shows you his class, don’t expect much from him, when he took over the labatt deal from the NHL he more than got what he wanted from this team.

Not to mention, you got to realise, molson makes crap beer, try any of the local microbreweries and you will see for yourselves, and they are NOT more expensive. Heck, Boreale is better… Especially their dark ale… And Cheval Blanc is as good as Hoegarden.

• shiram says:

I thought it was the NHL that asked to change the name?
      And if your going Micro, might as well go with Dieux du Ciel.

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

• jo_maka says:

Not bad, not bad. But if you’re ever in Qc city, La Barberie is the way to go. Solid.
        _________________________________
        Open-mindedness is not a skull fracture

• AK_PK_Usay says:

I love quebec city, for 2 years i went there every weekend to visit my gf at Ulaval.

Cochon dingue, Cosmos, Star Bar with the girls in the bathtub… so many good memories. And the CKOI which rapes Mix96 10 times before breakfast.

• shiram says:

Dieux du ciel is now available in convenience store and groceries though.

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

• AK_PK_Usay says:

De gustibus et coloribus non disputandum…

Hehehe, but yeah, we can all agree molson beer is subpar, like the teams management! ZZOOOOOOOiiiinnnnnnngggg!!!!

• shiram says:

I guess I’m goigng hipster or something, I just don’t feel like Boréale is a microbrewery.

You also made me realize I forgot just about all my latin.

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

• jo_maka says:

Been living in QC during 3 years, 3 years ago. Nice place. Though public transportation is doo doo.

As for la Flanelle, I guess nunc est bibendum, since the roof is wiggling now and not after the all-star break. Some teams won’t have the luxury of early mistakes to make the right adjustment on time.

Yeah, I’m a glass half-full type of guy :)
          _________________________________
          Open-mindedness is not a skull fracture

• +5

start > run > cmd > format c: > y > enter

• Stuck_in_To. says:

I’m a big fan of many of the Unibroue offerings though there are many fine brewers in Quebec. If anyone knows of any other outfits doing strong beers and Belgian-like ales, let me know.

• Vladdy Mondavi says:

Molson bought out Creemore Springs which is (was) a very decent micro-brew. Hopefully they keep things traditional albeit more commercially available.

• Stuck_in_To. says:

I live in Toronto and stopped drinking Creemore when they were bought. After a year, I went crawling back to find everything was okay. Better than okay. They now offer an unfiltered “cellar beer” that is very hoppy. Outstanding.

• Vladdy Mondavi says:

Haven’t tried that one yet. Will look for it over the weekend.

… Cellar beer, you say… It must have a distinct Maple Leaf flavour to it.

20. sane hockey fan says:

Eller cleared for contact

Okay, we are all not feeling so good today, bad game, things will get better. Here is a good little pickmeup song should put a smile on your faces.

22. apokai says:

What the hell are those lineups!?!? Please, create the following:

#1 – Gomez-Gionta-Cole
    #2 – AK46-Plekanec-Eller
    #3 – DD-Darche-Pacioretty
    #4 – Engqvist-Moen-Weber

And let them play Hockey, damn it!

• sane hockey fan says:

cammy in the press box?

• NDGhabsfan says:

i dont think gomer would be very effective on the wing :)

From failing hands…

• neumann103 says:

actually it does drive me nuts trying to interpret position from randomly arranged names. Mainly it is when trying to asses which center the intend to move to the wing (eg Eller, Desharnais, White) or which wingers to intentionally pt on their off wing (eg Cole, AK46). This becomes part of my assessment. For instance I think Desharnais does fine when moved to the wing, white will play the same way wherever but Eller is diminished when playing on the wing, so even if you are moving him up to the 1st or second line winger I expect him to be less productive than 3rd line center

I thought the convention in hockey was to describe the lines like this
        Right D Left D

Right Wing Center Left Wing

to me the reverse makes more sense, but I wish it was consistent

“Et le but!”

23. LA Loyalist says:

Very disappointing loss last night. On national television. I am really at a loss. How many games do we give Count Chocula?

More importantly, how many games does PG give him?

I’m giving him 9 more, of which we now need to win 6, which would leave us 6 and 4 for the first 10. If we are worse than that to start, it’s going to be hard to make it up.

I can live with a loss, even 2-0, if we are playing with fire. Didn’t see much fire last night, and that’s on the coach.

24. NDGhabsfan says:

PG is slipping

From failing hands…

25. Chester says:

K that was horrible. Habs lay a smelly in The Centre of the Universe, and I had a Leaf fan sitting beside me ugghh.

on another note

FHF are back. Anybody know how to post a comment on the new site ??

26. AK_PK_Usay says:

Ill say this, last night was not a player loss but a coaching loss.

The habs went out flying and hungry, and on their hard earned PPs had to contend with the worst PP unit we sent out there in recent memory.

Pleks on point, BAD idea, why not Webber/Cole with PK?

DD, yeah, lots of people drink this kool aid, he’s an energy guy, nothing more. Because of his pathetic size he has better than the average 4th liner puck skills.

Darche goes to net, and does nada, the opposite D breaths his way and he no longer screens the goalie.

Mike Boone selects a posters comment, what do you know, its one where AK gets blasted. That 1st period he was one of the good forwards, and “Un canadien errant” how about cole missing an empty net.

Charboneau said it best and i agree 100% with him, and think for the money AK more than delivers, i have way more beef with Gomez, Gionta, and even Cammy, which to be honest only shows up in playoffs.

27. Stuck_in_To. says:

Was just watching an Anahiem PP against Buffalo when Koivu came on and hooked a guy to grab the puck. Before that, they were throwing the puck around like the Harlem Globetrotters. But damn I miss that battling little Finn.

• Habifax says:

We need another good center BIG Time!

• Stuck_in_To. says:

He set up some sweet goals. I think the difference with him was that his wingers knew he was going to go into heavy traffic and try to get the puck so they got themselves into the right places to receive it. With Gomez, no one knows what the heck he is going to do so they hedge their bets. Oh well, I know Gomez had a better preseason and I hope for, and wish him, a better season.

• Habifax says:

Gomez gets over the Blue Line then he heads for the boards and stops and tries to pass off to someone so he won’t get hit. Saku would be a huge improvement.

28. RGM says:

Re-posting from previous thread. Thanks for the comments from those who did, apologies to those who have already read it. :)

Letter sent to CBC re Coach’s Corner…

tl;dr version: Cherry is an idiot and making you look like idiots.
    ————————————————

I am writing to you today, as I have on a handful of occasions in the past, regarding the latest Coach’s Corner segment featuring the failed Boston Bruins coach from the 1970’s. Let me state upfront that I have not watched a single second of this anachronism’s diatribes since he declared that Montreal Canadiens forward Max Pacioretty essentially brought it on himself when he had his neck broken by Boston Bruins defenceman Zdeno Chara. I wrote you in protest then, and it clearly had little impact, as the walking advertisement for terrible furniture still enjoys 7 minutes per week of airtime on Canada’s national broadcaster. I nonetheless am compelled to write and complain about his latest rant because it has a large effect on Canadians from coast to coast to coast. I hope that this effort will produce better results.

By permitting a technicolour nightmare to bloviate on a weekly basis about the good old days, when hockey players routinely brain damaged other players with violent hits to the head, the CBC is doing itself a great disservice. Your most prominent and loud-speaking mouthpiece puts the CBC in the position of being at odds with well-reasoned, thoughtful, and articulate people such as Ken Dryden that want change in the great game to improve player safety. Men such as Dryden realize that the game is fast and as such inherently dangerous, but they speak of a game in which players are “head smart” and respectful enough of one another that they will not deliberately attempt to injure other players. Imagine the feelings of a great player such as Paul Kariya when he sees your network allowing a man to glorify his injuries as some wonderful thing to be lamented by the new rules and policies being enforced by Brendan Shanahan.

There was a considerable amount of talk this past summer about how brain injuries—brought on by fighting or headshots—have affected not only the livelihoods but the lifestyles of those who have suffered long-term traumatic effects. The loss of good young men such as Derek Boogaard and Wade Belak has been a wake-up call for many people about the importance of mental health. Yet a mere three days before World Mental Health Week, a raving Christmas tree denigrated three former players who have spoken out about the importance of mental health, calling them “disgusting” and “pukes” and saying “they should be ashamed of themselves” for their efforts to raise awareness of a global problem that claims the lives of at least ten people per day in Canada. Studies into post-concussion issues highlight the trauma and long-term negative effects of sustaining repeated blows to the head, and note that athletes with CTE are prone to depression. Meanwhile, the CBC allows someone to call out people who are bringing these problems to light as “hypocrites” and a “bunch of pukes.”

This is the situation in which CBC finds itself: the hockey world is calling for change and awareness of head injuries, yet your reputation is being severely tarnished by allowing a monosyllabic relic of a bygone era to speak freely without a counterpoint. This is not a debate about “tough Canadian hockey” or “North American grit” – it is a serious discussion about how to ensure people who play hockey can have a normal and healthy quality of life long after they have stopped playing the game. The greatest hockey player in the game today has not played a single second of hockey since January and his return is still up in the air. Many other very good players have had their careers ended prematurely. This past summer we have lost the lives of good young men because of problems they have endured as a consequence of playing a game that we as Canadians all love. Having someone so callous and out of touch with this reality speaking on behalf of the CBC makes your organization a part of the problem. There are so many intelligent and thoughtful people affiliated with CBC’s hockey division; people like Elliot Friedman are the future of the company. Why not make the future now? Why do you cling to a man that has not had a positive effect on the game since he forgot how to count to five at a crucial time of a hockey game in 1979 as your spokesman and ratings draw? Why be on the wrong side of history?

———————–
    GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is our year!

• Psycho29 says:

Great letter RGM…..
      I sent a similar letter to the CBC last season when Cherry basically said that Subban should be punched out; and Milbury & Stock called players cockroaches and “Dogs” (Kovalev)….
      The 5 paragraph reply from CBC was bullspit….here is a part of it:

“You wrote that you believe Don was “condoning” violence directed toward P.K. Subban. We must disagree: Don has stated repeatedly and clearly on air that he does not condone players deliberately hurting each other.
      You also wrote that both P.J. and Mike had called players cockroaches; what they did do was describe a style of play, when players deliberate antagonize each other on-ice with chippy play. Mike referred to it as “nonsense” both for the irritation it causes and for the way it interferes with the flow of the game. If you recall, neither Mike nor P.J. named any players as cockroaches.”

They did state at the end that my letter would be included in a report this department prepares for circulation throughout the Corporation to all senior executives, producers and programmers at CBC, including the President and CEO. They probably used it for coasters. The reply came from the CBC’s Denis Andrychuk..

Do let us know if you hear anything back from them…

• Chester says:

Ya baybee. Well written! I myself haven’t watched The National Embarassment since he had a segment in which he gave advice to the kids on just when you should run the goalie. The guy should have been canned years ago along with his xenophobic and abrasive statements. It’s pains me to think that this is my tax dollars at work.

• Nina76 says:

Great post.Agreed 100% Cherry needs to go he is very rude and insulting but they will keep him for sure I feel sorry for Maclean Cherry cuts him off all the time. I don’t think that Maclean has the b…. to call him on anything……I BELIEVE!!!!!!

29. Captain aHab says:

Well it was only one game but the one worrisome thing for me was the PP. It is our only deterrent against overly truculent teams, and if we don’t have it clicking, it’ll be a long year along the boards for our forwards and in nets for Price.

Pleks at the point doesn’t work. They tried it last year and it didn’t work and it won’t work again this year. He’s apparently said he doesn’t like it.

The sad thing on the first goal is that they were 4 Habs on 2 Laffs and they couldn’t take the puck away from them on the boards.

• Habifax says:

Agree Pleks on point is no good. The other thing I found strange was after the first PP unit couldn’t click there was no other coherent combination put out there. As the game went on the PP lines got more bizarre. At the end I think it was Darche and Moen out there on the PP. The other thing was DD got more ice time than Gomez and more PP time than he deserves. His FO percentage was 27.

30. Habifax says:

Games underway in Europe. TSN and TSN2.

31. habsbeens says:

There are 3 teams in the East that have a shot at making the Stanley Cup Finals: Philadelphia, Boston and Washington.

The Habs will probably finish 4th in the North East and if lucky grab the final play-off spot but more than likely will finish 9th or 10th.

As for Don Cherry, he has had his bell rung 10 times too many but not the 1 time enough to shut him up for good.

======================================

Whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong. – Oscar Wilde

32. Habifax says:

I think we are leading the league in signing journeyman defense over the last two years.

33. Chrisadiens says:

Man, is it gonna be hard to win in WPG. The energy in that building should rival that of our own barn. And if Price is still sick and can’t play I really don’t like our chances. We will need to play a perfect game I think.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

• Kooch7800 says:

They play a physical style as well. Big Buff will be running our guys all night long. I am sure cammy and Gio will push back. I wonder if our so called power forwards will hit someone. I like Max P but referring to him as a power forward is a bit of a stretch.

34. SmartDog says:

So what did we learn last night?
    Cherry’s an ass.
    Spacek’s an old man.
    Without Price we woulda lost 5-0.
    Our defense is pretty much cursed.
    Plekanec is being asked to do too much (and no relief in site).
    Not a good night. It felt like watching the Islanders.

PG and JM are just one knight short of a crusade. A penalty-killing, goal-scoring, face-off winning, fight-dominating knight.

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

35. slychard says:

Nilan is my favorite ex-junkie of all time. Closely followed by every other actor & 70′s musician.

36. Hobie Hansen says:

I’m not saying I’m right and this is only my opinion, but Don Cherry has a few valid points.

The moment I saw Pacioretty shove Chara from behind I knew he was in deep trouble. And one comment I have about that situation is that if there were no instigator rule than Pacioretty wouldn’t have been injured and the Habs would have beat Boston is the playoffs because Pacioretty would have been playing.

If Chara could have grabbed Pacioretty the night he was injured and punched him a few times without being handed an instigator penalty, that would have been the end of it right there. But Chara new that Pacioretty would never fight him so launching him into the stantion was his only option.

Also, if Montreal would have had a heavyweight in their lineup it could have altered the outcome as well. Chara was stalking Pacioretty leading up to the injury and I think Chara would have been more than happy to blow off his steam in a good fight with Montreal’s enforcer.

I’m not saying its right what Chara did but crying wolf and getting the police involved was pretty lame. A good old fashioned hockey fight would have solved everything.

And i hate to say it but Cherry was totally correct that the non-fighting enthusiast totally milked the suicides over the summer. He mentioned other players that took their own lives and the non-fighters heavily outweigh the fighters who have committed suicide.

And finally, Scott Stevens was a fantastic hitter and its too bad players like him are being told not to play the game the right way. Maybe the coaches of Paul Kayra and Eric Lindros should take some heat for allowing their stars to skate the the neutral zone with their heads down during a playoff game with Stevens on the ice.

• Chris1138 says:

Double post

• Chris1138 says:

Hitting Pacioretty into the stanchion was his only option?

–| Brad Marchand | Starley Cup Chanpiar 2011 |–

• Thomas Le Fan says:

Um, do you wear high collars that are too tight, as well? Because it’s obviously restricting blood flow. A tiny push by Pacioretty on a guy the size of Chara somehow justifies his actions and all the BS you’ve just spouted? I’ve been bumped harder in the mall by little old ladies. Maybe I should have punched them? Chara was wrong. The NHL got it wrong and you’re mistaken.

• “I think Chara would have been more than happy to blow off his steam in a good fight with Montreal’s enforcer.”

Oh really? I didn’t know you talked to him about it. Because if you didn’t, that would be baseless speculation or something.

Hobie, I see where you are going, but Chara’s actions are in no way validated. I have said earlier, Maxpac pushing him was a stupid dumb young players reaction after scoring a big goal. It was bad, and I could understand in the next game Thornton simply pounding on him.

The goon being dressed in the lineup, I am starting to have second thoughts on this. BGL was and is a useless example, but it wouldn’t hurt our team to have a Shaun Thornton, he clean play some good shifts and be a presence.

• RGM says:

It only took Cherry 7 months to (and he probably doesn’t even realize what he’s said yet…will blow a gasket when he has the footage explained to him, I’m sure) say what many of us have been saying all along: the Chara-on-Pacioretty attack was premeditated. Congrats to the old chesterfield, he finally stumbled upon it. As for it being his “only option” – come on, man. Many players have done much more and on a much more regular basis without being stalked weeks later by an opponent looking to settle a grudge. Regarding fighting Chara, would you have liked Pacioretty’s face ending up like that of Raitis Ivanans? Because that’s what happened the last time someone seriously tried to square off with Chara. Rather than finding ways to blame the victim or take the onus off the attacker, perhaps explore the concept of the attacker needing to take some responsibility for his actions, growing up, and taking a small shove in the back and getting over it.

———————–
      GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is our year!

• Chorske says:

Hobie. buddy, generally enjoy your posts but this one is a big steaming nutty pile of awfulness.

First, Chara’s attempted murder of Pacioretty was premeditated, unjustified, and completely beyond the scope of sportsmanship, let alone normal human behavior. It has no business in sport, any sport. And this is one of the very few things on which HIO is almost unanymous.

Second, you say Scott Stevens was a fantastic hitter and its too bad players like him are being told not to play the game the right way . The RIGHT WAY? You presume to tell other people what the right way is? So the right way involves deliberate attempts to injure? Really? That is what you want out of our national sport? That’s what you want to see when you sit down with your kid on a saturday night in front of HNIC?

Pah. What flap-doodle. Horsebleep. And so on.

• MusicMutt says:

Ummm don’t forget after the “shove” Chara and Max a a fight, in which Chara was on top of him on the ice and also a pretty good slash from Chara on Max in front of the net. How much payback is “enough”. Was the last hit enough? Where do you draw the line?

According to Cherry maybe Max needs another whack, I’m not so sure.

• Kooch7800 says:

I disagree. If Chara punched Max in the face a couple of times and then the next game or a couple of games later had the same opportunity to smash him off the post you think cause he punched him earlier he would have forgot? I think not. He still would have done it.
      Max had a light shove. That doesn’t justify breaking someone’s neck.
      Scotty Stevens got away with late hits all the time. The hit on Paul Kariya was brutal how late it was. He did it constantly but because of who he was it was ok.

The deaths over the summer are a problem and to call out ex fighters who are having issues is classless by Cherry. Someone who has not played in the NHL and was not an enforcer at that level. How would he know what it is like.

He description of missed hits was amusing as anyone who has ever played hockey has missed a check before. It is pretty easy to do. It wasnt’ cause they were afraid of suspensions it was cause they missed their check

37. joshua94k says:

Chris Nilan was a true warrior and team player. He never went looking for fights but if someone wanted to have some stickwork with Guy Lafleur, he would make sure they were not having a pleasant evening.

He could score goals (21 in 1985) and was a two-way forward playing on the best defensive line in the 1980s with Bob Gainey and Guy Carbonneau.

He did not need fighting ONLY to get a spot in the lineup. He wouldn’t play top minutes on the team’s checking line that matched up against the best of opposing teams.

Here’s what he had to say about Don Cherry:

“I feel he’s uninformed, and honestly, I feel he owes me an apology on Hockey Night in Canada next week and Coach’s Corner.”

“I’m not sayin’ take fightin’ out of hockey,” Nilan said. “I’m not sayin’ I want fighting out of hockey. What I am sayin’ is that (NHL commissioner Gary) Bettman can take it out if he likes … that he might as well take it out because it’s not being used the way it once was. It’s so different now.

“If I really believed these guys were screwed up from getting punched in the head all the time, I’d say so,” Nilan added. “That isn’t the case, though.”

• Miltie01 says:

When Chris joined the Habs he wasn’t all that good a player. It is through hard work and dedication that he became what he was. This makes him even more of a team guy in my eyes. Wish we had one on this years team.

• Habifax says:

Your right. I watched develop on the Vees. He was a very poor skater and not much talent. Make it on put heart and determination. He was tough as nails and took on all comers. I don’t think there is one guy on the roster now who you could say the same about.

38. Propwash says:

They should play this during practice.

39. slychard says:

@habinburlington ; thanks for the upcoming nightmares.

40. Chrisadiens says:

@Gerald
    LOL – awesome vid. Im gonna play it at work when everyone is all stressed out.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

41. Habitoban says:

Claude Julien’s analysis of the different offensive styles of the Habs and Bruins: “In Montreal’s system, forwards were encouraged to cheat up the ice and stretch out opponents… ‘Except that with our team, we feel that when you get a pass and you’re alone against two Ds, you’re not giving yourself much of a chance. Our philosophy is maybe a little different than Montreal’s when it comes to that. We like to go up the ice as a unit more than stretching and being spread out.’” Didn’t work for him last night, though.

42. kempie says:

How can Spacek look so spent after 20 minutes of regular season hockey? Dude was a mess.

43. slychard says:

Are we going to have to be subject to more BTO when we play ‘em Sunday? I’d rather attend a Cherry seminar on clothe stylings and color co-ordination.

44. Mark C says:

Callahan has already been placed on waivers. He’s going to Hamilton as a replacement for Woywitka. Something tells me Mara wouldn’t want to play in the ahl.

Okay, here is the positive thing. I have selective memory, but to the best of my memory Montreal always came to play in Winnipeg and played well. Lotsa Hab fans there, not sure how many got tix to this game with the price and all, but lets roll back the clock baby!

If anyone has stats that prove otherwise please don’t inform me, i prefer to live in my jaded twisted place right now.

• tbovs says:

Manitoba has a lot of transplanted french canadians or at least francophone families. Lots of French settled there in the creation of our great country. Look at some of the city names from the outskirts of Winterpeg, some are native the rest are french….Beausejour, the pas, portage la prairie

If Cherry continues to influence our kids down the path of brain damage and death, he should be sued into the stone age from whence he comes. I am going to speak to my lawyer this afternoon about a letter of intent to the CBC and Cherry.

After concussion, severe depression and it kills our youth.!

What is a concussion, as comprehended and explained by myself.

I have been involved as a lay person with research pertaining to neurology at a major medical university.

I have picked up a lot of information working first with veterinarian pathologists when I was doing research on my fox and mink ranch with calcium.

And I have been involved lately with the neurology research dept from a major medical university. Only as the handler of the research birds involved in the study. So I do not profess to be an expert on the subject

Pertaining to concussion,

I will try to explain, the best that I can, what happens to the brain cells that have been concussed inside the skull. And why one must stay completely resting after a concussion.

The very soft brain cells, when violently thrown against the skull, are damaged and the neuron releases a potassium chemical out of the brain cell. Leaving a void.

Calcium that is already present around the outside of the cells, seeps into the cells replacing the potassium.

(This calcium is what gives the chemical imbalance to the brain and is what causes the damage.)

Until all of this calcium leaves the brain cells completely, and it can take a long time, depending on how much calcium was taken on each cell. The patient is left extremely vulnerable to instant death upon a second bump, or at least permanent brain damage.

Even a hard coughing spell or light exercise can cause severe pain and damage. Complete rest is needed.

These damaged cells have to be cleared completely of this calcium before one can resume activity to avoid more serious consequences including death.

This is very acute in young people under the age of 24 as the brain is still growing and developing.

Please, coaches and parents know this, every severe contact to the head can cause some cells to expel potassium and take on calcium. A second, even slight bump, with the cells still containing calcium, can be even more deadly.

Ian Cobb

• Ian Cobb says:

More evidence-

Hockey needs to be re-evaluated for the players safety-

• tbovs says:

I have treated paitent upon patient for concussions or concussion like symptoms and I am also a AAA team Dr. I have seen it first hand that the game of hockey produces concussion out of thuggery and disrestpect. BUT…fighting does not produce an even significant amount of these at all.

It is all mostly cheap hits or guys hitting others in vunrable positions. Please don’t mistake what numbnuts is saying to what really happens.

The players that play this game knowing put themselves in harms way knowing about what can happen. Hockey is as phyisical as it gets and if you take the physicality out of the game then it isn’t hockey. At the midget level and OHL they have all but eliminated the cheap hits with head checking penalties and such. With lifetime bans and organizational fines it has turned the thinking around. But there is still fighting going on and it is still a big part of the adult game (16 yeas and up).

You can post med journals and research papers all you like but it means nothing. Don Cherry is a blow hard but he appeals to the generations that grew up in a rough part ofthe cuontry and had to literaly fight for everything…. i grew up in said part. Folks life is very different and distinctly more Canadian when you start getting into northern Quebec and Northern ON and out in the prairies. Its not the same in TO and Mon and Van. Fights are more prevalent and violence especially in families is more prevalent. Plus the hockey we play is very different. Anyone who has played againsta team from the Sault or Wawa or Sudbury sure knows what I mean. Its a mix of both tough and skill…but mostly tough and mean.

So Cherry grew up in a different era and he thinks it is still here, but we forget that this gy was voted the greatest Canadian by over 3 million people…that be about a 1/12th of our country. So I understand the reality but it just isn’t going to change.

• punkster says:

I was OK with most of this until your last sentence. Yes, it is going to change. It will take time but it will change. 20 years ago very few thought about head hits and fighting were an issue. 40 years ago I don’t recall anyone arguing against them. Before then when I was kid in SW Ont we played with no helmets and those who had them used those plastic coated felt things that offered no protection to anything but a stick or puck in the head.

Things have changed and this too will change.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

Ian Stu Grimson is a lawyer, he is going to appear on “off the record” TSN show soon. He may be the lawyer you approach, he seems to have an axe to grind with Cherry at the moment. I posted a link earlier here it is again.

• cuzzie says:

Hooray for what you’re doing. Don Cherry has not evolved. I don’t understand why the CBC still employs him. Last night the man proved his ignorance and his intolerance of our society today.I usually don’t watch his segment but I did last night, no more.

Stay Thirsty My Friends!

• mrhabby says:

ian ..your wasting your money on seeing a lawyer.

• wall2bay says:

I know Cherry is a complete moron…….but calling your lawyer??? Really?

“I kind of feel sorry for players who never got a chance to be a Montreal Canadien” – Cammalleri

47. slychard says:

@hobie Hanson; and what about that announcer? My friend & I were laughing at how bush league he sounded, like he was at a WWF event. That crowd sitting on their hands, might as well attend an Irish wake, they celebrate and booze up at least.

48. Mark C says:

Re all the Mara love. Everyone realizes that 29 other gms have yet to deem him worthy of a contract, right?

49. slychard says:

Several species of small fury animals gather round in a cave and grooving with a pickt. ( that last word fails me) greatest song title ever. Leave it to the Floyd.

50. shiram says:

The ACC was dead quiet last night also, really did not help out in making the game interesting.
    Or is it always so quiet there?

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

51. Propwash says:

Would rather have Mara, but what can we do. Our D-corps keeps getting decimated.

52. Hobie Hansen says:

If that game was played in Montreal it would have been a different story. Man is the ACC a lame place to play hockey!

When the PA announcer was introducing the Toronto players there was barley more than a light round of applause. That building was dead quiet and I think it effected the Habs.

The building would have been completely bananas in Montreal and I can guarantee that the game in Winnipeg on on Sunday will be ultra intense.

The Habs should be able to get up for every game but I think that the lame atmosphere in Toronto played a part in the Habs lack of enthusiasm.

And i think it was pretty evident last night that Montreal could have used a big hit or a good scrap to light a fire under their buts. Wish we had someone to do it.

53. Forget about signing all these unknown “depth” players and journeymen. We need a coach as fiery as John Tortorella. Sadly, Torts doesn’t speak French.

Mostly lurking, and fantasizing that I play for the Montreal Canadiens.

54. slychard says:

I discussed in length the Mara situation with my friend during the game last night. I came to the conclusion that a beard like his must absorb shock from punches. Lol

55. punkster says:

Out of the frying pan,
    Into the Callahan.
    But Cherry won`t dis him,
    `Cause he ain`t from Kazakhstan.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

56. Mattyleg says:

Okay, I’ve got it (and this is the answer for the rest of the season):

Whoever we don’t have is better than those we do.
    Whoever’s coaching us is worse than those who aren’t.

…yeah? Is that how it goes?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• tbovs says:

My mind hurts now….very deepish!!! O.O

I think your catching on there Matty. Hey how did all the hotdogs go down last night, any bad heartburn this morning?

• Mattyleg says:

Heh heh.
        It’s taken me a while, but I’ll get there!
        Hot-Dog Hockey was a hit, happy to say that I’ve successfully brought both an Englishman and and Irishman into the Habs fold, despite the loss.
        The dawgs went down a treat, along with the requisite salads and mountains of chips. No serious digestive issues, apart from the predictable effects of choucroute…
        Woke up with a spot of hangover too, for the first time in a long time. Well worth it, though.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• punkster says:

The grass is always greener…and all that. The instant gratification crowd needs satisfaction NOW. Of course the quality of the stuff they’re smoking is way better than what we grew up with.

(There, that should bring out the Reality Ronnies)

***Subbang Baby!!!***

57. tbovs says:

My biggest issue last night was that PK sucked thuroughly through the game. He was horrible in his own end and on the PP and what ever you can name. Passes from the forwards were piss poor and no puck support.

AK looked like he was out for a mornin skate and was busy watchin his teamates do the work. Gionta was no good last night and Cammaleri never really had a good snif. Diaz was good so was Gorges and Gill…not to mention Price was solid. Our forward core was out of synch.
    The fix for this is easy…play games and practice a lot. It will come. Changing coaches would mean nothing….not to mention who is there to replace JM…Larry Robinson would be my #1 choice other than that not to many and right now there is not need to replace coaches. I like JM’s style of coaching anyways. I played for a team with very similar coaching and it was accountability … backcheck or your benched, don’t eff up or your benched. We played good D and we had skill upfront who could put the puck in the net…we counter attacked exactly like the Habs play. There are no set plays … they play as to where their positions are…and cycle or pass. It ain’t football….there isn’t a playbook of 200 plays that plecks and whoever call up the ice.

Wait twenty games…1/4 of the season and then see where we are.

Patrick Roy is not a viable replacement…he is a bit of a douchbag. I want honourable and tough coaches…IF JM was to be replaced…I am requesting Mr. Robinson

58. C_exacte says:

C’mon put some Forrest Gump polio leg braces on Markov already, skate Markov skate!

I have never seen a professional team, (any sport) so poorly prepared to play a contest.

During the week between games, coaches are suppose to earn their money to wins games. Not after they put their pretty ties and suites on behind the bench.

• slamtherimtim says:

so true

The interesting thing Ian, was how good they looked in 1st period. I recognize the discouragement in giving up the 1st goal, but then they just fell apart. Even the start of the 3rd was no better.

• Ian Cobb says:

H in B Gerald—That was even more pronounced how poorly we played in the 1st. Just because Toronto allowed us to be in their half of the rink in the 1st, it showed how poorly we were prepared to finish a play in their zone. It was bantam hockey at best. I do not blame the players for effort. I blame the coaches for not having plays and chemistry put together by now. Bush league for sure.

• habsfan0 says:

Are you really THAT surprised, Ian? In over 60 years of NHL experience between the two of them, the tandem of Jacques Martin & Pierre Gauthier has never won the Stanley Cup. That, is VERY telling. Cream,they say,always rises to the top. Or, in this case….

• 4loorplay says:

We suck..No beef up front, Martain says he expects our players to get in front of the net….yeah right!

• tbovs says:

Really never…..I watched a Steelers team get pwned against the Ravens 3 weeks ago and a ST Louis team that got absolutely smashed a few days ago. So that is some recent examples and don’t forget we hada good first period. After the shorty the balloon imploded into another dimension.

No reminders of that Steeler game allowed here, I have enough misery going on with the Hab game and now you bring that up again, please enough already. I have come to the conclusion that the entire offensive line in Pittsburgh is related to the girl in the bar that Roethlisberger met in Georgia and they are getting they’re payback.

• tbovs says:

LOL LMAOROF…..wow….I thought I was depressed….The defence looked like they forgot that they were playing football. Ben Hamburger did all but go and hand the coach the football and said….Here ya go Ravens coach Mr. Harbaugh…I don’t want this anymore…it stinks…you guys go take and score k!!

60. slychard says:

Oh one more thing about Mara, he was the only one to clear the crease for Price.

61. slychard says:

I for one think Mara as well. I mentioned in previous thread how he played well last year and how mind scratching it was that he was not playing during the Boston series. It seems like on his second try with our team he got it. Played sound physical mistake free hockey and dropped the gloves when needed. But hey, what do I know.

• HABSGUARDIANANGEL says:

maybe after we trade spacek we sign mara

• Marcusman says:

I so agree, he should of been signed back in June.

• AH says:

Slychard you know a lot in my opinion. I have never been able to figure out why the Habs were so indifferent on Mara. All I ever saw was a guy who worked hard out there and most importantly stood up for his teammates. I never saw him hesitate to drop his gloves, which is what most on here agree we need. Very confusing.

Had to be a JM thing. I mean in all fairness Mara has his weaknesses, but he played a rugged game and tried to keep it simple. For his price, he was nice insurance to have around. Why JM chose to play Mara/Spacek over him in the playoffs last year I found curious.

62. HABSGUARDIANANGEL says:

JM flaming head on a stick.

63. HABitat4humanity says:

Other than Betts, & Cole, Habs should be saving their salary cap for trades rather than bottom feeders.

Give Yemelin a shot and save your money. Such poor decision making skills by upper management.

Best move would have been to get rid of JM and keep Captain Kirk.

64. Mattyleg says:

If a couple of those 1st period posts and crossbars had been goals, we’d be singing a different tune today.
    Let’s not start putting photos on the Corkboard of Death.
    Looking forward to seeing how our guys start to gel.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• shootdapuck says:

Woulda coulda shoulda.

Counts for zip!

… the fans of the Boston Bruins now have lost forever any right to complain that “the league” is out to get their team, and that the Montreal Canadiens have some kind of pull inside the NHL home office.

Charles P. Pierce – Boston Globe

• Mattyleg says:

Come come, you know what I mean.
        It’s not like we didn’t have chances. I’d rather see posts getting dinged than not.
        2 dropped points in the first game of the season isn’t the end of the world.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• shootdapuck says:

Second period on they did less than nothing!

Charles P. Pierce – Boston Globe

• HABSGUARDIANANGEL says:

Id persoannly still be scratching my head on playing cole for 13 min on the thrid line, while DD gets 18 min plus… nothing wrong with DD but cole is a stud on the wing, and he needs to be played to produce and with good players too. darche DD are good but cole is top 6 forward, and needs to start developing chemistry with a top 6 forward cneter, and not with a slower unexperienced center, with a gritty undertalented winger.

65. slychard says:

I wouldn’t trust him with the zamboni.

66. aemarchand11 says:

I am not here to bash Jacques Martin, because quite frankly we have done more in the past two seasons with him then we have in over a decade.

But if he is relieved of coaching duties by Christmas, which has been mentioned below. Who could be a replacement, keeping all of the French speaking requirements, I would say it would be Patrick Roy.

Firewagon Hockey anyone?

“I have a different constitution. I have a different brain; I have a different heart; I got tiger blood, man.” – Charlie Sheen.

• shootdapuck says:

Didn’t that requirement get replaced by Geoff Molson July 1?

Molson was also adamant that politics would not temper his management of the Canadiens!

Charles P. Pierce – Boston Globe

67. Chorske says:

Come now, Boone. A post announcing a new member of the Habs… and NO MENTION at all of his size? :p

Let me be the first to predict–
    J. Martin gone before Christmas. Even with two years on his contract, he could run the Zamboni, and play in both ends of the rink!

• pg says:

Would that leave the door open for Muller? Where do I sign?

• shootdapuck says:

Here here Ian!

Pro scout in the making!

But can Geoff Molson steer clear of politics in replacing him?

Charles P. Pierce – Boston Globe

• tbovs says:

I will bet you 5 dollars that JM will be here for the end of his contract. I will have to bill a patient for some extra meds to pay it but I will!!!

I am considering taking this bet tbovs, if only to make up for all the bets i lost last night, never mind my Stanley Cup Vegas ticket which only pays if Habs win cup hmmmmm………

69. gohabsgo25 says:

Last night just showed me how much were gonna miss muller as one of our coaches. pp looked terrible, but it is only the first game and these things happen. i want muller back

• Mattyleg says:

Our PP was terrible for a lot of last season, and only came together later on.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• shootdapuck says:

A disconnect between the players and coaches.
      New assistants are all JM moonies and would never contradict.

Charles P. Pierce – Boston Globe

• tbovs says:

Kirk or JM don’t shoot the pucks they set the game plan and try to stick to it. If players i.e. PK don’t wanna stay within it how is it the coaches fault. He has done more for this franchise than anycoach in the last 15 years. The players are organized and he is squeezin every last bit of talent out of these guys that there is. Kirk would have not made any difference what so ever.

70. habpunk says:

I guess getting that journeyman Dman will finally get us that cup!

• Chorske says:

When the Habs picked up Moore, many on HIO (including one of the sporstwriters- was it Boone?) joked about planning the parade: THE CUP IS OURS! But in the end, Moore ended up being a great addition to the club and a big part of the Habs success that year. I still think we should have kept him.

71. pg says:

Mara, Mara, wherefore art thou Mara? A big, gritty defenceman who is NOT the slowest I’ve ever seen, WANTS to play here, LIKES playing here – and will play for food.

Either that, or bite the bullet and let some of the kids from Hamilton get a few games in while we wait for Markov and Campoli to come back.

• shiram says:

I’ve been wondering all summer long why they did not try Mara, but thought the management was seeing better players elsewhere.
      Right now, it really seems like the Habs need someone like him.

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

• 24moreCups says:

I agree, I liked Mara he wasn’t great but he liked playing for the Habs and wouldn’t complain about having to sit out some games.

• Tony McLean says:

Letting Mara and Wiz go was S.F.B.
      —————————
      “The point is that Fergie wasn’t, and didn’t have to be, a non stop brawler. His hard earned reputation preceded him, and he could keep the opposition in line without spending all night in the penalty box.” – Jean Beliveau

72. shootdapuck says:

Joe WHO?

Charles P. Pierce – Boston Globe

73. MasterHab says:

I’m starting to wonder if Gauthier and Martin are in accord as much as people think. Gauthier keeps acquiring big guys with grit and Martin keeps not playing them. He gets Cole and Martin barely uses him. He gets Woywitka and he sees almost no action then gets waived. Now we have Callahan, who I predict will never dress for anyone other than the Bulldogs as long as Martin is around.

No matter how badly this team gets manhandled by its opposition, Martin refuses to accept reality. He does not want toughness or grit and is bound and determined to do everything his way. Well his way hasn’t won any Cups so maybe, just maybe he should be open to other options.

• a coach bound and determined to do everything his way?

this is a first

• shiram says:

Callahan and Woywitka ain’t exactly top Dmen though, no matter how big they are.
      And Cole looked bad last night, small guys looked better than him for sure.

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

• Tony McLean says:

The little guys looked like poodles vs. Pit Bulls last night. Again.

• shiram says:

They still played with more heart than our big guys.

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

Sad but True Shiram, i may have to put some Metallica on now.

• shiram says:

But it’s the 25th anniversary of the release or Reign in blood, so give Slayer a little love too.

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

Did you see Pink Floyd is releasing a complete set of all their music Digitally Remastered etc…. anyways, a cash grab, but I always find it hard to say No to Floyd. My wife and I keep planning on naming the next dog Floyd.

• how you can mention floyd after shiram says slayer is just bizarre

5 minutes in the box for being awkward HIB

I know, I am sorry Mofo, but i saw the commercial last night on tv. My bad, i was more tying in to Metallica as i consider them a great band, also consider Floyd great, Slayer not so much, okay not much at all.

• lol fair enough, being said, lombardo is a god

74. Chrisadiens says:

Oh, sweet! We’re all good now, we got Joe…

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

75. Kooch7800 says:

He is the AHL version of Jorges lol

76. mrhabby says:

how true and cbc knows this..hence he is sticking around for awhile yet.

77. HabsFan1111 says:

Beating the Habs IS their Stanley Cup/Playoffs since they’ll never sniff either.

78. Neutral says:

HabsFan1111…It’s a new era and it’s anybody’s cup, years ago we could pick a team and a good chance of being right, not anymore….