Canadiens should get a good one at three

Mikhail-Grigorenko-240x300

On June 22 in Pittsburgh, the Canadiens will have the third pick in the first round of the NHL draft.
This will be their highest draft position since 1980, when the Canadiens used the first overall pick to select Doug Wickenheiser.
It didn’t turn out well.

Breaking news: Super agent Pat Brisson, whose client list includes Sidney Crosby, has dropped out of consideration for the Canadiens’ vacant general manager position.

Since the first NHL draft in 1963, the Canadiens have had the third pick only once.

In 1968, they selected Jim Pritchard, a 5’9″, 175-lb. defenceman who played his junior hockey in Winnipeg.

He never played a game in the NHL.

Picking third overall in the 2000 draft, the Minnesota Wild selected Marion Gaborik, after the Islanders drafted Rick DiPietro first and Atlanta picked Dany Heatley.

Chicago took Jonathan Toews third overall in 2006, and Colorado snared Matt Duchene third in 2009.

In 1999, Vancouver used the third pick to select Henrik Sedin … after picking twin brother Daniel with Pick 2 … after Atlanta wasted the top pick on Patrik Stefan.

Canadiens fans will recall Ottawa’s pick in the 1994 third spot: Radek Bonk.

In 1991, the Devils got the great Scott Niedermayer at third.

Biggest third-pick bust?

In 2001, Tampa Bay drafted massive Russian Alexander Svitov. He played 186 games with the Lightning and Columbus, scoring 13 goals and spending 229 minutes in the penalty box before going home to play in the KHL. Svitov is the player who caved in Alexei Emelin’s face in a fight.

In the most recent two drafts, Florida had had the number three pick and took Erik Gudbranson in 2010 and Jonathan Huberdeau last June.

On the TSN Draft Lottery Draw show, former Calgary general manager Craig Button predicted the Canadiens would select Mikhail Grigorenko, a 6’3″, 200-lb. centre who plays for the Quebec Remparts of the QMJHL.

His coach in QC is Patrick Roy, whose name keeps popping up in speculation about vacancies in the Canadiens’ front office and behind the bench.

Here at HIO, we’re concerned by reports that Grigorenko may be a bit of a dog, intensity-wise.

HIO’s director of Amateur Scouting and Rumour Development, Otto Yerass, likes Alex Galchenyuk, consensus number one Nail Yakupov’s teammate on the Sarnia Sting.

We also like Filip Forsberg. The Canadiens haven’t had a great Swede since Mats Naslund. Andreas Engqvist doesn’t count.

1. NL_habs_fan says:

My Favorite line to watch, actually the only thing I enjoyed watching this season was DD, Pacioretty and Cole. However, having said that DD’s value will never be higher and he should be traded. Put the new big Rookie Centerman on the line with Patches and Cole.

So the lines I’d like to see at the start of the season is

Max – Rookie center – Cole
    Gionta – Pleks – Wing from DD trade
    Gallagher – Eller – Leblanc
    Moen – White – Bourque

No doubt this lineup would have a lot of question marks,

Will the pressure of a top line center be too much for the new rookie?

Can a suitable winger be found in a DD trade that could add some size to the pleks line who would mix it up in front of the net?

Is Gallagher ready for the big stage?

Let’s face it we’re a semi-rebuilding team (we’re not a fully rebuilding team until we’re ready to throw away some of those larger contracts for pennies on the dollar).

There is a fair amount of risk involved with these moves especially trading DD, but sometimes with risk comes huge rewards.

With a healthy line up it’s not impossible to expect

1st line 85 goals
    2nd line 50 goals
    3rd line 45 goals
    4th line 20 goals

Defense 30 goals

that’s 240 goals, only 7 clubs scored more than that this year, so that may be optimistic

• steve17 says:

I think I would trade Pleks before DD. DD had great chemistry with Pacman and Cole and proved he will go to the dirty areas to make plays. Pleks has great value to teams looking for a 2nd line shutdown type. But it all depends on who the Habs draft. If they are or will be taking a centre, then maybe move Pleks and one of the 2nd round picks for a true top 6 power winger. I would rather see Radulov or Bobby Ryan on the right side on the 2nd ine over Gionta. Some people feel Gionta brings a lot ot the team, I think they should trade him. If they could trade for or sign a top 6 power winger, then where would Gionta play? The 3rd line! If the Flames didn’t need a kings ransom for Iggy, he would look good for a couple of seasons on the right side!

Habfan17

• Habfan10912 says:

I think that lineup would make the tankers happy. Unless the team has a few Bobby Orrs and Larry Robinsons on defense we’d be fighting for that 8th play-off spot. Need a big center and scoring wing and two NHL defenseman. Not an easy thing to get. Pray for an amnesty ( Gomez) then use waivers on Kabrele. That’s a good start, eh?

• JUST ME says:

I just don`t get it. We have one of the top lines in the league and you are willing to break it up ? The value you find in D.D. is within the chemistry between those 3 players.This is priceless..for MTL only.And then you will come back to complain ? Furthermore if you are aware of the reality in MTL you would still agree to trade the team`s top frenchman ?

Lots of doubts about your lineup. Gallagher is still a junior player may not be with the big team for a year or more. Moen ? White ? Why not Staubitz ?

• sanman_11 says:

Let me get this straight you want to trade DD because he has done well? What makes you think a rookie is going to come in and do just as well? DD makes Cole and Max better night after night. We have one line with chemistry and you want to break it up? Take a look at Seguin, Tavaras, even Stamkos. Each of them took a year to really start producing and they are all better then the player we will be drafting.

I’m a HABS fan not a Leaf blower.

• NL_habs_fan says:

Maybe Cole and Max make DD better night after night. Don’t get me wrong I like what he did this season. He, along with Max and Cole gave me something exciting to watch when everything else made me want to scoop my eyes out. My point is we have 3 centers and right now not one of them is a number 1 center. We need one, it’s unlikely we’ll trade for one so let’s take a flier on an NHL ready draft pick, like Grigrenko and put him with our top two wingers. I don’t believe we can expect much more out of DD, there is more potential still within Eller, and why give up on Pleks when he is already the ideal number 2 center.

Max and Cole have an excellent work ethic, they go hard to the net, the play in the corners, they’re not standing still waiting for a pretty setup from a gifted center in the slot. I fully believe DD is more of a product of his wingers rather than his wingers being a product of him. To me it’s not a chemistry thing with that line, the dirty work of Max and Cole promote good chemistry, stick any of our centers with them and I don’t believe their production falters.

“Take a look at Seguin, Tavaras, even Stamkos. Each of them took a year to really start producing and they are all better then the player we will be drafting.”

Time will tell. All of those players are better now but it’s presumptuous of you to assume that Grigrenko or whoever can’t reach that potential as well. It’s also presumptuous to assume Max and Cole can’t perform as good or better without DD.

• sanman_11 says:

I’m not presuming the pick can’t reach that point just pointing out that it didn’t happen in year one for those truly elite players. So my rationale is that letting DD go now for a player that is not scouted to be as good as those players is a big risk. Odds are whover the centre is isn’t going to be any better then DD and odds are chemistry will take time to build. So why tamper with something that is working when you know the rookie will take time to develop? One last thing, who’s to say the kid is going to make the team? It’s not a foregone conclusion that he’s with the big club on day one. Throwing an 18 year old in Montreal on the first line, after how it did last year and expecting him to ‘do better’ is asking for trouble IMO. Confidence is a big thing and every (stuipid) fan will be on the kid if he doesn’t produce as much or better then DD. Unfortunately there are a lot of them out there.

I’m a HABS fan not a Leaf blower.

• NL_habs_fan says:

I see where you’re coming from, DD is a sure thing why mess with it. I get that.

The way I see it, however, is I fully believe what we saw from that line this year was the peak. We’re a semi-rebuilding team, changes are needed throughout, unfavorable changes in some cases, I believe one of those is the top line. I’m not one of the pro-tank supporters but if all we’re going to do with DD at center is get 7th or 8th, I say shake it up. It may fall flat or it may turn into one of the most dominant lines in the NHL (not that it wasn’t close to that this year).

We’re not going to be a contender next year, so why not consider putting a potential star player in place now so he can succeed the next year a la Seguin, Tavares, or Stamkos.

I see where you’re coming from DD is safe we know what we can expect. In poker if you’re short stacked and want to make some ground on the chip leader you have to take a risk and go all in, or you can play safe, hope that “can’t fail” hand will come your way before it’s too late.

Habs are at the bottom they need to make some risky moves to gain some ground, trade DD, put Grigorenko between the two veteran wingers, and let it ride before it’s too late.

Cole has 4 years left on that contract and maybe only 3 in the tank. If it takes Grigorenko a year to acclimatize to the NHL, fine.

I see the potential of the Max – Grigs – Cole line to be way higher than the sure fire thing of the Max – DD – Cole line.

2. habs001 says:

Eller can only be fairly evaluated after 2 more years…he is too young and did not play a lot of games prior to turning pro…pk is the type of d you need to build around…pk is the only true skating d we have who can carry the puck from zone to zone…the habs do not need another gorges or emelin type of d…

• Hobie Hansen says:

They need an Orpik, Allen or Bieksa type.

• Mike D says:

Fair and the Montreal hockey market unfortunately don’t belong in the same sentence. I think Eller just played his last season of getting a pass. Right or wrong, if he doesn’t pick it up next year – and by that I mean get more points, be consistent, and stop taking so many penalties – I think the ‘enigma’ tag will start being associated with him and comparisons to AK46 will soon follow.

I think another Emelin type is exactly what we need (hurry up Tinordi!) on the back end.

– Honestly yours
      Twitter: @de_benny

• JF says:

I certainly agree about Eller; he needs at least another year. I see red when I hear people talking about trading him. Lack of patience is one of our biggest problems – both the team’s and the fans’. If a young player doesn’t immediately pan out, we ship him out of town, only to see him flourish elsewhere in a year or two. It’ll be the same story with Eller if we get fed up and trade him. He’s very strong, he protects the puck well, makes good passes, and shows flashes of brilliance. He’s still putting all his skills together. Mistakes, dumb penalties, and inconsistency are part of that process.

3. HABZ24 says:

grigorenko sounds like THE MAN/KID we need right now. a 6 foot 3 200lb center with 40 goals and 45 assists in only 59 games at 17 years old.this gem will only get bigger stronger and smarter. exactly the fit the habs need.

GO HABS GO

4. frankcasting says:

Good defensemen grow on trees. Truly talented offensive players like the three Russians are the rarest commodities in the game. I can’t recall the last time we had a decent player in the top 5 or 10 in NHL scoring. Take what’s available of the three and go from there.

Loving the Habs since 1965

5. Habitforming says:

I rarely post, but I read the site and comments daily.

I see the draft like this;
    Edmonton takes Yakupov or trades down to (3rd? maybe to take Murray)
    The Jackets are the wild card. They have to have a forward replacement for Nash (if he is indeed moving) and they seem to already have a big future number one center in Ryan Johansen. Maybe Ryan Murray here or a Forsberg (Jordan Staal clone) just to avoid russians again?
    The Habs have needed a big scoring center for so long they have had a re-occuring post in the want ads for 10 years. Trading up for number 1 doesn’t thrill me because we need a center and not a smallish winger. The posts of people willing to throw PK into a trade to move up and address another teams needs while avoiding our own is disturbing to say the least.
    Grigorenko has his work ethic/heart challenged; Galchenyuk has his knee issues (Markov redux?) and no season to prove he got better or worse. Both are skilled scoring centers….cant really go wrong with either since both are a gamble, and I bet it comes down to the player interviews for Timmins and co.

On a final note, I have no idea why there is so much love for Dumba here. yes the guy can hit, but he often is out of position to do so and at his size he will find it hard to play that way and not be injury prone. Plus in this version of the NHL where a hard clean hit leads to bench brawls (ie Pitts and Philly for the latest example) do you really want a catalyist for this stuff all the time?
    Murray, Trouba, Ceci, and Reinhardt are all better IMO.

6. LizardKing1967 says:

OK. Some of you are smoking the funky stuff. You want to draft Grigorenko or Galchenyuk and you put him as THIRD line centre?
    They both are TOP talent. TOP six forwards.
    Trade Plekanec, Weber, Nash (or Tinordi) and our 1st rd pick for the First overall pick. Take Yakupov and we have our number one centre.

Gionta Yakupov Bourque
    Max DD Cole
    Moen Eller Leblanc
    Staubitz Dumont White

Subban Gorges
    Markov Emelin
    Diaz Kaberle

Drive for 25. 2012-2013. Max-Pac for Conn Smyth.

I BELIEVE!

• Cal says:

What are you smoking? The Yak is a winger.

• pmaraw says:

you want to trade all that to move up 2 spots? yakupov is a winger btw. and you want to talk about other people smoking the funny stuff?

• Hobie Hansen says:

Unfortunately Yakupov is a winger. And I wouldn’t include Tinordi in any deal like that.
      Tinordi also represents something we haven’t had in a long time, a top four monster of a defenseman with a mean streak.

• habs-hampton says:

You’re going to get Yakapov, move him to center and then put Rene Bourque on his wing????

Yeah, someone is smoking some wacky stuff alright!

• Matt04 says:

Terrible suggestion(s) Lizard King

• habsgod says:

yakupov is a winger,we need either galcheyuk or grigorenko,and we will get 1 of them ! i trust timmins very much ,he’ll pick the right guy for us,he’ll know which 1 of these guys will be our pick.I think personally he’ll lean towards galchenyuk because he has elite vision,skill and hands and projects as a superstar 1st line center.

7. Habitant in Surrey says:

Matthew Dumba Highlights: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqwsjUf5Qy8&feature=player_embedded#!

…I DO NOT want this stud playin’ for da Weeds :(
    …PK & Emelin in the ONE body ! :)

_________________________________________________________
    HIS’ Official Habs’ Fan Theme Song; Morrissey ‘There is a light that never goes out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjObvIQtsLk&feature=related
    _________________________________________________________
    What I WANT ! is an aircraft carrier at centre and nuclear destroyers on each wing going to the net like bats out of Hell !, …NO MORE rubber duckies !!!
    Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

8. Habitant in Surrey says:

…it was a very busy Easter weekend for Me and My Kids …didn’t even have time to watch the last Weeds’/Habs’ game until I had time to go to CBC’s online video .
    ..boy, can not understand why the Weeds’ executive board hasn’t tarred & feathered Burke yet, and rolled him out of town …thank Goodness I was blessed by My Maker not to be a Weeds’ fan
    …Serge Savard rumored to be appointed Assistant Vice President of Hockey Operations, notwithstanding His previous stated reluctance ? …on one-hand it sounds reassuring, and on the other hand (after some reflection) it is worrisome
    …I would not object very much if Molson and Savard appoints Serge Savard Our GM …I would prefer bright new blood (Brisebois, for example), but there are worst choices than Savard
    …the problem I see with Savard as VP, Hockey Ops, is that anyone hired as GM will have to accept Savard as GM number one, and Whomever as GM number 2
    …I don’t think We will attract the best & brightest to fill Our GM position if They believe They will have to play Second-banana to Savard …do You ?
    …will be very interesting to see where Patrick Roy’s real loyalties lay …with the Nordiques/Coyotes, or Our Habs
    …if the Nordiques/Coyotes ? …then that will leave a very bitter taste in My mouth …I would take His sweater down from the rafters and auction it off on E-Bay

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

• steve17 says:

I agree it could pose an issue, depending on how the reporting structure would be. Maybe Molson realized that when Gauthier propossed trades to him for approval, he was not qualified to approve them and that is why some of these trades did not work out. I look at it in two other ways, Molson wants an experienced person to evaluate the GM and signings/trades, or they have already decided on a GM who lacks experience in some areas and Savard will be his mentor for a couple of seasons. You are right, an exoerienced, high profile GM may be put off. If they are looking at Brisbois or Roy, Savard would make a great sounding board and mentor.

Habfan17

• boing007 says:

You could send Roy’s sweater to him in a box by FedExpress.

Richard R

9. rjonline1 says:

I can’t come to terms with taking Grigorkenko. Between the Leblanc, Eller, DD and Pleks – adding another Centremen would create a logjam down the middle. Unless we are saying that Grigorkenco replaces Eller – and we trade Eller for what? And then what about Leblanc? I’m just now sure the logjam is worth it.

In my mind, Murray would be ideal. Yes, I know – another D man. But he’s as close to “a sure thing” as we’ll get without Yakupov. He will take time to develop, but the Habs will have an AMAZING D down the road, or alternaitvely, stellar trade bait. Good puck moving and stay at home D are worth a tremendous amount.

Anyways – would love to hear your thoughts generally – especially about the logjam at centre thing and how to navigate that. Maybe I’m missing something?

• Hobie Hansen says:

Since Vincent Damphousse the Canadiens have not been strong down the middle.

People will protest that Desharnais or Plekanec are number 1 material but I don’t believe that to be accurate. They are both fantastic number 2 guys and average at best number 1 guys.

Is Gregorenjo, Galchenyuk or Forseberg an upgrade over Plekanec or Desharnias, I’m not sure?

But I think the Canadiens are searching for that guaranteed number 1 guy and if they believe that they have him in one of the players I mentioned above they’ll have to deal one of their other centers.

They might not have to worry about it for another year if the player ends up playing junior for another season or in the AHL. Not sure the exact age of all three?

• GNick says:

Draft Dumba and trade Plekanec with Beaulieu for the #1 center Habs need? The #1 center will be able to help out immediately, no risk of injured Galenchyuk or selfish Grigorenko this way. Plus Dumba suppose to be a stud defenseman

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…judging a draft choice BEFORE testing his mettle at the NHL level is a crap-shoot, and I would not have any basis to say Galchenyuk or Grigorenko is guaranteed, but I will state this: We will NEVER go further than the second or third round of a Stanley Cup Playoffs with DD, Pleks or Eller as Our number one centre
      …We need a dominant, physical skilled HORSE as Our first-line centre, or forget the Stanley Cup
      …are Galchenyuk or Grigorenko elite enough ? …I do not know …but in this year’s draft, they are the most visibly capable to be what is needed …there, of course, may be others in this draft that don’t have the same hype today that will in the end turn-out to be better than these 2 …but, if We ever dream of going all the way to a Cup, DD will be at most a second line C, Pleks a Carbonneau-type third line C, and if We keep Eller it will be as a winger/alternative centre (unless Eller shows dramatic growth by this coming October)

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

• Bob_Sacamano says:

I´d rather trade DD or Plekanec than Eller. I also don´t see a problem here. Leblanc will continue to play RW and one of the others will switch to LW.

It could look like this next season:

Pacioretty Plekanec Gionta
      Desharnais Eller Cole
      Bourque Grigorenko Leblanc
      Moen Geoffrion White

I could really live with that. I definitely want Eller on the second line next season. With pp time and decent wingers. I´d love to have Stoll on the fourth line instead of Geoffrion btw.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…I would not split-up DD from Cole & Patches, Bob
        …I would hope, if Gomez buried in the AHL. and Kaberle either buried or traded, that We can wrangle a UFA like Radulov or Parise
        …dreaming ? …maybe
        …DD, Patches & Cole
        …Pleks, Radulov (or Parise) & Gionta
        …Grigorenko (or Galchenyuk), Leblanc & Bourque
        …White, Moen & Geoffrion/Staubitz or Blunden

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

• Uwey says:

I believe most Habs fans are selling Eller short. In all honesty, I believe moving this young man now, would equate to the same mistake as moving John Leclair. It’s time for some patience when it comes to the kids. Weber &/or Diaz would be the first of any of the kids I would move if deemed necessary.

• habsgod says:

grigorenko is bigger than all of our centers and we haven’t had1 with this size plus none of our current centers are#1 material they are all 2nd or 3rd line guys ellar is going to be a fine 3rd line center and occasionally fill in on the second line,having a glut of centers makes for a nice problem because teams had are deficiant and weak and center will come to us for a center and in a trade we have them over the barrel(we could fleece them) because we’re dealing from a position of strenght and they’d be desperate to get1 so we’d have a major advantage and pretty much get what we want in a deal!

• JayBee says:

Leblanc looks like a winger to me. If Yakupov isn’t available, the habs absolutely NEED to go after a centerman.

10. Hobie Hansen says:

Wow, very tough choice between Grigorenko, Galchenyuk or Forseberg.

A few different hockey personalities have flagged Grigorenko as being a little disinterested and maybe not having the passion as the other picks. Craig Button has said that he doesn’t envision him as being a top line player. Is that true, I couldn’t tell you but hopefully the Canadiens management has a good read on him?

Than in Galchenyuk’s case, he’s missed an entire season with a knee injury. Maybe he would have progressed even further this year or maybe he would have fallen back out of the top five or even ten prospects?

And then there’s Forseberg. Apparently he isn’t lighting it up in the Swedish Elite League playing with much older players this season. Maybe the scouts don’t have a perfect read on him since they don’t see him as much because he plays over seas?

We’ll jut have to put our faith in Trevor Timmins that he has the best information possible and makes the best pick for the team!

11. Stev.R says:

Grigorenko has 8 points in 7 games this playoffs. I would love for him to really start to light it up though. He is apparently comparable to Spezza. The best hockey I’ve ever seen live was watching Spezza-Heatley-Alfredsson in 07-08. I saw them play PHO and they were unstoppable. They made PHO look like pylons. Quick, one touch, cross ice, behind the back passes, and never losing the puck. Amazing. That means we need to have some good wingers for Grigorenko to distribute to. Patches and Gally?

I wish Galchenyuk (comparable to Hossa) was still in the playoffs. Anyone know why he refused to play at the U-18 this summer? Seems like something he should be keen to do if he wants to show scouts he’s 100% healthy.

I think we’ll take Grigorenko, but I’m not 100% sold he’ll play in the NHL. MTL likes to ripen their prospects and I don’t see playing under Roy for a second season as a bad thing. Galchenyuk would most definitely play another year of junior.

I have a feeling 1 of the three top forwards will bust. I trust Timmins to take the right one. However, if EDM and CBJ both take forwards, and Timmins doesn’t think the guy available will turnout, I really hope they don’t feel pressured into taking him anyways. If Timmins doesn’t think he’ll turnout, then just take Murray (a can’t miss superstar imo) and build one of the best D-cores in the league.
    Subban-Murray
    Beaulieu- Gorges
    Emelin – Tinnordi
    Ellis

• Stev.R says:

Who do you think Toronto will take and keep in mind, Toronto will not make the right decision.

This updated mock draft has them taking Forsberg. That is something I can definitely see happening. He would be built up as the next great offensive superstar in Toronto and everyone would ignore the fact that he is really a two way player.

I could also see them taking Gaunce, Rielly, or Teravainen

12. Habitant in Surrey says:

…I am relieved the Weeds did not leap Us, but it would have been way cool if We had won Number One, therefore in-control of Our own destiny
    …the Weeds still have a good position for a difference-maker to My chagrin …for example, Dumba or Forsberg :(
    …at number 3, either Yakupov, Grigorenko or Galchenyuk will be there
    …if I was Edmonton I would take Yakupov …crazy to contemplate a team with Hall, Eberle, N-Hopkins, Yakupov and their other young guns …potentially Oilers-like of the Gretzky-era …overwhelming high-octane offence …defense/shmefence, who cares ?
    …if I was Columbus, I would select Galchenyuk …an American Russian is better than a Russian Russian based on their previous experience with Russians …his knee will be fine, and he will be a Malkin-lite to make their fans forget Nash and Carter …again to My chagrin, as Galchenyuk would be My first-choice if available
    …to Me, for Our Habs, that leaves Grigorenko, Dumba and likely Forsberg on top of Trevor’s shopping list, unless there is a ‘hidden gem’ Trevor knows about …all things being equal, if I was Timmons, I would be torn between Grigorenko and Dumba

…Dumba, PK, Markov, Tinordi, Beaulieu and Our other promising Ds already on the verge, in front of Carey Price is very tempting to Me …but I am sure My gut-capabilities of evaluating talent is a little more closely on par with HIO’s chief Talent Scout, Comrade Otter Urass, …I think I will leave it in the good hands of Trevor Timmons to kick the tires a little more thoroughly than I can :)

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

• Price07 says:

The habs have some defensemen (Subban, Beaulieu, Tinordi, Gorges, Emelin and Ellis who is a huge surprise this year)…up front…Pacioretty. After that I don’t think anyone is a clear top line forward and with the defense and goaltending we have its about time we get some guys who can score goals! Free agency is weak and too expensive anyway, trades means you have to give something up so its really not a great thing. The draft is where you pick up talent without giving up any players or extra money to overpay a free agent.

13. Rozz says:

Hello to everyone here,
    This is my first post on this site. I’ve been coming to this site for over a year now and just recently decided to finally make an account. Given that the times we are now seeing in habsland seem to be getting stranger and more interesting with each passing day/ hour, I figured it was as good a day as any to finally post my two cents.
    I for one am extremely excited to see how thing will be working out for this team in the near future. There are so many exciting questions to be answered and decisions to be made. It is definitely a great time to be a Habs fan
    Any ways having said that, I have a question for whoever can give me a real answer. I’ve read in a few peoples posts on here that Pat Brisson had dropped out of the running for GM and is not interested. But no one has ever backed it up with any source. I searched Google and only found two articles suggesting this, and I would hardly call these good sources as one just states that “someone close to him” said it and the other states that he just isn’t (http://nhltradereport.com/pat-brisson-not-interested-in-montreal-canadiens-general-manager-job-422584/ and http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Golf/PGA/TheMasters/2012/04/09/19610566.html ).
    Also, TSN and a couple other more credible sport news sources just listed him still amongst the candidate that are still in the running yesterday (http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=392690 and http://www.montrealgazette.com/sports/Monumental+task+awaits+next/6429110/story.html there are more but just Google them yourself as I’m too lazy) Does anyone have a real answer as to whether he’s in or out? It appears to me that he is still in in the running and it’s just mostly speculation that he wouldn’t take the job due to the salary cut. I’m not going to say he would take the job; I’m just trying to figure out if I missed something or not.

“I’m sorry… did you say something? I stopped Listening after i stopped talking.” :D

14. jedimyrmidon says:

I know everyone is talking about draft possibilities but…

You know what’s scary: Parise has 69 pts, 4 more than Max Pac and is -5. And people want to throw 7M at this guy (at least, that’s what I understand). What kind of contract will Max Pac get if he upkeeps his productivity next year and the year after?

And Cole has 35 goals. I never truly appreciated how dominant this line was until I saw their two names among the top goal scorers in the league. If only the Habs had secondary scoring like they should have had with Cammalleri and AK (not counting Gionta who was out). Makes having Gomez on the team even more painful.

[Edit: Then again, I see Parise has been a very consistent 30+ goal scorer even hitting 45 in the past few seasons.]

15. deuce6 says:

Ummmm yea…I heard the same knocks on LeBlanc when we drafted him…I have no qualms with that kid’s compete level..

Grigorenko would be a great pick..

——————

Yes, I’m a Hab fan..Wanna fight about it?

16. rogus says:

I love the confidence that Grigorenko shows. “So you want to be Evgeni Malkin?” “No, I want to be Mikhail Grigorenko.” Hope we get this kid!

17. Steven says:

For those of you arguing over Grigorenko vs Galchenyuk, I think the teams above us will decide that for us.

With the Oilers picking first, it would be ridiculous to pick a defenceman. They’ll either take Yakupov or trade the 1st pick for a solid d-man. The team they trade it to will most likely subsequently pick Yakupov anyway.

Then come the Blue Jackets. With the risk(or maybe inevitability) that Nash won’t be a Blue Jacket past this season, they’re surely going to be gunning for a forward. Doesn’t make sense that they’d trade out an offensive weapon in Carter(two, when Nash goes) and add a great defenceman(Johnson) to go draft ANOTHER defenceman(heard the TSN panel saying CBJ would jump on Murray). I’m guessing they’re going to go for Galchenyuk or Grigorenko.

Then there’s us. I get the feeling Timmins is set on one of those two, so whichever is left will probably come to us.
    Then again, with Murray available at 3, maybe we don’t draft that big center anyway. If management(or what’s left of it) has faith in Lars Eller, we don’t need a big center.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

I’m also of the opinion that the Blue Jackets will draft a forward.

“I’m not opposed to trading Plekanec and/or Markov”
      – Sean Bonjovi

• Steven says:

Can’t see it being anything else. It would be a monumental mistake for them to draft a Dman in my mind.

In fact, they’re not bad on their back end. Methot, Wisniewski and Johnson come to mind immediately and I’d take them on our team.

• matt jordan says:

Columbus should completely blow that team up and build from the back end out. The Oilers should also draft a defenseman.

Oilers- Murray
          CBJ’s- Dumba
          Habs- Yakupov

• Clay says:

Lol…in your dreams though (and mine)

__________________________
            ☞ Wow, that’s a nice lookin’ pair of Crocs!” Said no one ever.☜

• Price07 says:

Totally agree with you. Yakupov goes first no matter who is picking. Columbus needs offense way more then they need defense. Check their defense (both current and prospects) its way deeper than their offense. They’ll choose a forward, I’m guessing Grigorenko. So for us, it’ll likely be between Galchenyuk and Forsberg. I like Galchenyuk better but its tough seeing as he didn’t play this year. Forsberg is probably a solid choice but I think we need a big time offensive threat and his offensive ability hasn’t convinced me in the past year.

Forsberg Stats:

with his swedish team: 8 goals and 17 points in 43 games.

World Juniors: 1 assist in 6 games…The lazy russian (Grigorenko) had 2 goals 3 assists…and played most of the tourney injured

18. Montreal1993 says:

Truly conflicted, gotta figure yakapov or murray for edmonton, i can see them moving the first over all pick in a trade or maybe not. This seems all so surreal for montreal picking third over all, im in between gally and griggy, both fit the role of the big center, but both of them offer instant impact. Foresberg offers something very great for montreal in terms of drafting for need, to sum it all up timmons sits in a very difficult position, hate to be in his shoes on draft day. We all know how great he is at the draft table lets some magic…

19. WestHab says:

Ok so the next step is the draft its self. In the mean time I’m thinking I’m not in favor of a system that allows the same team to pick first 3 years in a row. Personally I think you should never get two shots at first 2 years in a row. This is hockey welfare.

“I’m still pushing for everyone to play their hearts out and play like a Montreal Canadien should play.” RC

20. EricMelvin says:

So, I see from that video that Grigorenko can skate both forwards and backwards, often during the same sequence…fascinating…

21. Hali_Hab says:

From Gregers Twitter account.

” Was looking at sending a private message sorry #mistake”

“After 13 years, I couldn’t accept to be number two.”
    Guy Lafleur.

22. Sean Bonjovi says:

High draft picks are exciting! I’ve just become a Tanker.

“I’m not opposed to trading Plekanec and/or Markov”
    – Sean Bonjovi

23. Sean Bonjovi says:

double post

24. Led says:

Bold or stupid?

Subban + 2nd to EDM.

Habs pick 1st (Nail) and 3rd (Murry).

25. Seventeen-year-old. Still counts as the teenage years..

There are some creating hype throughout the entire world. One of them is Yakupov.
    And then there’s me. LOL A “regular” 17 year old still in school studying math.

26. HabFanSince72 says:

We all know how bad the French Media ® are, they’re the main reason we finished last in the conference this year (H I/O meme #22) – but our Mr Boone has now called Grigorenko a dog and a lazy Russian despite probably never having seen him play. Based on hearsay of a rumour of some hearsay. Kid is 17 for God’s sake.

Sorry but that out-does Todd, Tremblay, Bert Raymond, Frankie Gagnon – heck it outdoes Mike Milbury and PJ Stock.

A dog? Really?

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

The Galchenyuk and Forsberg videos are unwatchable. Therefore the Habs should pick Grigorenko.

• ProHabs says:

Grigorenko reminds me more of Bobby Smith than Malkin. I find that Galchenyuk looks more impressive and seems to have more speed. But as Boone says, if we are counting on the Habs doctors to evaluate Galchenyuk’s knee injury, we are in trouble if the Markov situation is any indication.

28. Price07 says:

Can`t believe the oilers have the first overall choice AGAIN!!! I think Columbus is going to take Grigorenko because they want better forwards, better centres (as the Jeff Carter experiment showed) and they`ll probably lose Nash. Also, if the team has one upside its on defense, they have decent depth their and they just added Jack Johnson so I doubt they take Murray. That leaves us with Galchenyuk and Forsberg. Both good choices but Forsberg has not been very convincing the past year (terrible world juniors) and Galchenyuk has been hurt the whole season so tough call.

• ReHabs says:

Nawww I don’t think Columbus will take a chance on another Russian in the 1st round.. They already got burnt twice by Russians. They will either trade it or draft Murry. Habs will take griorenko or Galenchyuck.

29. EricMelvin says:

I heard the words “diminutive Finn” during the TSN Top Ten and now I have “the fear”.

• LA Loyalist says:

Don’t worry. We’re going to trade down to guarantee we draft an over-rated goalie that will be no threat to the anointed one.

Seriously, any of the top 3 look fantastic and will be – though it may take a year or two – a serious upgrade. A large male center whom Roy has coached, my heart pounds just thinking about it.

30. ProHabs says:

On the Forsberg video, why did they show the goal that was scored by the Swedes in OT over Russia to win the World Junior this year. Wasn’t it the Ottawa Sens first round pick last year (Ziga-something) that scored that goal or was it Forsberg.

31. rob_c says:

I wouldn’t mind trading down. I hear people say we need that big centre, and while any habs fan knows we could use a big centre I’m not so sure any one of those centres are that typical big centre which every team covets.

I wouldnt mind trading down a bit and snatching up Dumba. I look at a team in a few years who could possess the BEST back end in the league infront of Price, and we have a realistic shot at acquiring that final piece.

Subban Gorges
    Beaulieu Tinordi
    Dumba Emelin

Imagine that?

Andreas Engqvist doesn’t count? Tell you how much Boone knows about hockey.

33. Adidess says:

Now even the words ‘Russian underachiever’ are gone!

Hey Mr Boone, you can say the guy is underwhelming in whatever ways you want. Just don’t put Russian before the name you`re calling him, because you wouldn’t call Benoit Pouliot a Canadian underachiever, you would simply call him an underachiever. But we appreciate that you take the comments into account…

34. Rooster says:

Markov + a 2nd rd pick for umburger and their #1 pick!

35. habsfan0 says:

Prediction: Brian Burke trades away Leafs 5th position in draft to the Habs in return for Scott Gomez, Tomas Kaberle,Campoli & Weber. Habs will now have 3rd & 5th selection in opening round.

Burke will then claim that, not only will Leafs make playoffs next season, they will challenge for Stanley Cup.

And Leaf Nation will buy it wholeheartedly.

36. mb says:

Whoa, Grigo, easy there.

“Mikhaïl Grigorenko‏@grigo_25
    Cant wait to be drafted and maybe play for Roy again #NHLDraft”

Pretty sure it’s his real twitter account (followed by reporters / RDS, etc.)

Edit: seems like it is his real account.

37. smiler2729 says:

Guess what else we need to have with a number three pick?
    Patience.

Not much hope for that in the hysteria that is hockey in Montreal.

_______________________________________________
    Jack Edwards is a clam, Bruins are gutless weasel pukes.
    Brian Burke, re-branding crap in Laff Nation for 4 years now.
    Jaroslav Halak is Brian FREAKIN’ Elliott’s backup in St. Louis.

38. Hali_Hab says:

No and that is a foolish statement to make considering yakapov has t played a game In the NHL yet. So let’s hold off on the Bure comparison . Also I did t say just a “big” center I said a center with skill. And The basis of my statement is team need. The current model of centers we have has a prove. Track record. If you removed plecks from that equation and put say Gregs in his place then in my opinion DD, GRegs and ELler is a way more effective core

• HabsinLA says:

You say I can’t make any statements about Yakupov because he’s not in the NHL (I agree, I was just saying his playing style is like Bure’s, speed), but you already slot Grigs in as the superior alternative to Plecs, who, last time I checked has played in the NHL while Grigs hasn’t.

They are all prospects, slotting them in over any NHL player on our roster, even the Campolis and Gomez’s is silly. You hedge your bet but there’s a huge chance that even a high pick will end up as a career minor leaguer or out of hockey.

• Hali_Hab says:

The point i was trying to make is was more along the lines that having Plecks and DD give us a pretty one dimensional option. Where as they are both similar in size and could easily be reversed between lines 1 and 2. ( i am sure that if Plecks played with Patch and Cole all year his point totals would be a tad higher) that’s not taking away from DD and his ability. The only thing that separates the two is Plecks Defensive play away from the puck. This ability has been matched by the Eller this year. As Eller continues to develop he can fill that role! So where does that leave Plecks? what does he have to offer that the other two centers cant fill at a fraction of the price tag i might add. A team that is one dimentional is easy to play against, you have to be able to mix it up and throw different looks at the other team. And lets face it over the past 5 years the track record speaks for it self. 8TH Spot and a goalie playing out of his head does not a good team make.

“After 13 years, I couldn’t accept to be number two.”
        Guy Lafleur.

39. Rad says:

If we do in fact draft 3rd overall on June 22nd, and Yakupov is off the table, we will draft either Galchenyuk or Forsberg. One of those 2 boys will be in Brossard when training camp opens. Count on it.

40. sampson12 says:

At this point, this draft seems so unpredictable. There seems like so many unknowns. Grigerenko seems like a wildcard, could end up being a poor man’s Malkin, could end up being… a major bust. Galchenyuk comes with question marks because nobody’s seen him play much lately other than the few games he played since being out for months. Forsberg’s scouting report is tough to compare to the rest because he’s playing in a different league against entirely different competition…

I think I need to stop thinking about it for a few weeks.

41. Cal says:

Well, Habs are no worse a position than they’ve been for the last weeks. 3rd worst.
    It’s an awful long way until Draft day and there will be much hemming and hawing on this board until then. And afterwards. You see, it just never stops.
    So, back to the GM sweepstakes. Now, seriously, did anyone actually think Brisson would kill his 10% for not doing much job for the most thankless job in all of hockey?
    Brisebois, Bergevin and Loiselle may be the 3 finalists on Canadiens I-Can-Do-A-Better-Job-Than-This-Guy Idol.

42. j0nHABS says:

I would like to see the new Habs GM go after the Oilers or Blue Jackets picks. How awesome would it be if the Habs could have 2 of the top three picks. Oilers very well might trade their pick. They could use some vets now. Plus they want a D-man anyway. Habs could offer a number of different packages with Kaberle, Diaz, Weber, Bourque, and 2nd round picks.
    Not sure how realist it is, but it would be nice!

• Cal says:

Love it, too, but GMs aren’t all that stupid anymore. They will take their pick and run with him. Oilers and Blue Jackets will keep losing. Perpetual Tank Syndrome™ has set in and no other GM is going to do them a favour.

• HabsinLA says:

Drafting Yakupov and Galchenyuk as teammates would be awesome.

BUT would you take a 2nd round pick and Kaberle, Diaz, Weber, Bourque (hell let’s throw them all in) for our 1st? Even PG wouldn’t do that.

I doubt we have the pieces necessary to pry the pick from Edmonton or Columbus without giving up our 1st.

• Malreg says:

Getting a top 5 pick without including at least one of our pick, Price, PK, or Pacioretty in a deal would be impossible.

43. jon514 says:

You Galchenyuk supporters are funny. All we hear is that Grigorenko is lazy, yet he was awarded all kinds of awards by the QMJHL. He scored at more than 1.44 pts/game in the regular season. He’s also scoring more than a pt/game in the playoffs. Both as a rookie. His stats are comparable with many of the current big centers in the league in their junior years. For a rookie, he sounds awesome. I don’t want to take anything away from Galchenyuk, but I will take a guy who wasn’t injured over a guy who was injured this season, because I know I’m not getting damaged goods.

• Mattyleg says:

Hilarious.
      “You Galchenyuk supporters are funny.”
      It begins.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

I think either pick is good, I happen to think the upside on Galchenyuks talent is greater is all. Prior to injury he challenged Yakupov for elite talent, ever hear about Dan Marino, he was damaged goods as well.

• j0nHABS says:

Couldn’t agree more, he has 8 points in 7 playoff games. I was at the game tonight in Halifax and while he didn’t get on the score board and he was a -1 on the night, the kid can play! He didn’t look lazy, he has some serious hands!

44. Hali_Hab says:

Your mental if you think DD plecks and Eller constitute an effective force Down the middle. Look at the pens down the middle and the flyers and the bruins and the rangers etc etc etc. and I will assume you are young enough that you don’t remember what a difference an effective center makes , since the habs havent had one since I was In high school.. Haha

45. jols101 says:

Who else thinks that before Burke even left the TSN studio he offered Tambellini(sp ?) Luke Shenn to switch picks. I think so…

46. Hali_Hab says:

I am pretty sure his stats as a 16 year old from last year did more for his draft status than his you tube status!

47. Malreg says:

I find it amazing how high people are on Galchenyuk, considering he’s played a total of 7 games in the last year.

Amazing how far a player’s height and youtube highlight video can carry them.

• Mattyleg says:

I’m sure that it has more to do with what the scouts were saying before his injury…

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Bill says:

There is always the chance that he wouldn’t have progressed as predicted in his draft year … worth considering! I’d worry too … he hasn’t really been scoutable all year.

Draft combine will clear some of that up, but still dicey.

Full Breezer 4 Life

48. Hali_Hab says:

It is nuts when you consider he is not what we need. We need a center. We don’t need the first pick . We need the second or third. And we have the 3rd . So why give up a good defensive prospect for a highly skilled 5’11” winger? When you could have a highly skilled 6’2″ center. It’s about need and our need down the middle out weighs our need on the wing.

• nickster13 says:

I disagree, we have 3 centres already. We should let Eller grow too. So i think a goal scoring winger would do quite nicely. You know, to round out the top 6 scoring.

“I don’t wanna see Maurice tonight, I want the rocket!”

• Malreg says:

So you would rather have Viktor Kozlov instead of Pavel Bure because we need a big center?

• HabsinLA says:

I’m a big draft Galchenyuk proponent but I have to disagree. All season long we were looking for wingers to play with Plec and Eller. But I do agree franchise centers are harder to come by and more important.

I think in this case you got 3 forwards, one that has an injury that wiped out his season, one that might become the next Antropov or Kozlov and one that doesn’t have those 2 things and has speed that drew comparisons to Pavel Bure in some circles. You go for the safer pick.

49. mb says:

Uhhhh… Am I crazy or was it written Lazy Russian 5 minutes ago? Now many of our previous posts make about zero sense.

50. nickster13 says:

Otto Yerass. HAHHAHAHHAHAHA

“I don’t wanna see Maurice tonight, I want the rocket!”

51. Montreal1993 says:

K seriously did edmonton just get another 1st over pick in a draft?

52. Hali_Hab says:

And why do people have this fascination with trading up ?!? Give up Ellis and our pick to the oilers?? That’s nuts. We have the 3rd over all pick . Crazy idea why don’t we just use that to draft one of the 3 centers in the top 6?!?

• nickster13 says:

Its not nuts if you get Yakupov! He would round out our top lines quite nicely and is the most NHL-ready.

“I don’t wanna see Maurice tonight, I want the rocket!”

53. jols101 says:

Couple of thoughts on the lottery and draft

1- To all those conspiracy nuts, and there are many, while the lottery draft does lack 100% transperency, it is hard to agrue that it is in any way fixed. Last years winner New Jersey, this years winner Edmonton; two franchises that NHL top brass care very little about.

2- 2 or possibly all 3 of Grigorenko, Galchenyuk or Forsberg will be available when the Habs pick.
    I believe the upcoming Prospects Combine will be the difference maker. Montreal’s team doctors will have a chance to closely look at Galchenyuk’s knee. If they feel it is 100%, then i think he will be our guy. If he had not been injured, Galchenyuk would certainly been the only player to challenge Yakopov for 1st overall. I think he has the highest ceiling.
    In doing some research (no expert on these prospects) Yakopov was qouted saying “ya i have good hands just not as good as that guy”, refering to his teammate Galchenyuk. That says a lot about Galchenyuk’s skill level. Pro Scouts get paid to know their stuff but the ones that know these prospects the best are the fellow prospects that play with or against each other.
    Just my two cents but will be happy with any of the three. I just hope we don’t go with another dman in the 1st round…

54. Habifax says:

Just saw the Russian kid with the Quebec team tonight I wasn’t overly impressed. The MacKinnon kid on Halifax was the best player on the ice but he’s not draftable until next year.

• sampson12 says:

The last Mooseheads game I went to was against Shawinigan, and I was excited to see Bournival and Ellis play, but MacKinnon easily stole the show. Best player on the ice, incredible vision and passing skills. Ellis was the best player on Shawinigan, but Bournival was unimpressive.

Whoever gets MacKinnon is getting a guy with no question marks, dominating games in the Q as a 16 year old.

How did Frk look?

55. Hali_Hab says:

Also Galy is 6’2″ not 6’!!

56. dre1744 says:

If i’m not mistaken the knock on Malkin in his draft year was that he was lazy. Well if we draft Grigolenko and hes lazy like Malkin is i wouldn’t mind him on our team!!!!!!

• HardHabits says:

It took flying Malkin’s parents over seas to sit in the arenas to watch games to wake him up. That and Crosby losing steam in rounds 3 and 4 the year the Pens won the Cup.

• Adidess says:

So HH, what you are saying is Malkin would perhaps be a bust if his parents didn’t give him a talking to or Crosby didn’t threaten him? Come on, the guy has been his team’s best player for the last two years. Does Crosby keep threatening him every morning? Could it be that he was a young player who needed a few weeks to learn what it takes to be a dominant player in the NHL?

So there are some people who want to claim even Malkin isn’t motivated on his own volition. It’s some exterior force or somebody else who is responsible for his beast-like attitude and motivation on the ice. Very interesting!

• HardHabits says:

I am not denying Malkin is a force. I see the parents thing as being astute player management, development and handling on the part of the Pens. There is a lot of evidence to support that Malkin’s parents being over helped motivate him.

I never said Crosby threatened him either. In the 2008-09 play-offs Crosby dominated round 1 and 2. Then in round 3 Malkin stepped it up. In round 4 Crosby got injured and Malkin raised it another level. It was an opportunity that Malkin siezed.

My point was that a supposed lazy or soft Russian forward, given the time, circumstances and motivation became the impact player he has become. Patience is all I am preaching with whoever the Habs select.

57. Hali_Hab says:

Why would you trade a top 3 pick to Nashville for a UFA??

58. Nina76 says:

3rd round pick, Well that’s over all I want is a 200 lb or more 6 foot 3 for the 2nd.line….Now on to the new GM & Coach……….GO MOLSON GO !!!!!

59. Adidess says:

Yep, HB. We know the game, we know Boone is stirring the pot with the overt Russian slight. One wants to refrain from taking the bait, but you hate to see somebody like Boone reinforce such stereotypes and comfort prejudiced people in their belief that Russian players are the lazy type.

All stereotyping is bad and inappropriate, not just where race, gender, and sexual orientation are concerned.

Funny how it works when convenient for the media.

• Bill says:

If Grigorenko is lazy and doesn’t compete, Timmins et al will have a very good read on it. If the Habs pick him at 3rd, you can bet there are no concerns about his “compete level” (horrible sports cliche meaning competitive).

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Mattyleg says:

Ugh, tell me about it.
        And “upside”.
        “He’s got great upside.”
        We have one of the biggest vocabularies in the world.
        And we have to use ‘upside’.
        It’s enough to make you want to smack them in an upward direction on the side of their head.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

60. Rad says:

And if Washington exits in the opening round of the playoffs, we might be able to acquire one of their two 1st round picks. Very important IMO to gather as many draft picks as possible this year.

61. Trisomy 21 says:

Would the Oilers go for our 1st + Ellis for their first?
    Would you if you were MTLs GM?

• HabsinLA says:

Generally, to move up, the price is a 1st and a 2nd. I think our 1st and Nashville’s 2nd would do the trick especially if Edmonton wants to draft Murray.

• Rad says:

That’s a tough question. I think the Oilers would want more than Ellis, probably one of Beaulieu or Tinordi. I doubt I would be willing to give up any one of the 3: we are in a rebuild, which means we trade for other teams’ top prospects while retaining our own. It’s some of our veterans we need to trade, not our prospects. That’s what Paul Holmgren did last year when within 2 weeks of the draft, he acquired Wayne Simmonds, Brayden Schenn, Jacob Voracek, and Sean Couturier.

62. PeterD says:

I’m could see Edmonton and Toronto could work a trade …say Shenn or Phaneuf for Yakupov…
    Phaneuf is an local Alberta boy so that might work…

• jedimyrmidon says:

Uh, why would Edmonton go for that? 1st overall pick for Schenn? Or do you mean Toronto’s pick + Schenn for the first overall? Even then, I don’t think Edmonton would do it.

• habsgod says:

why would the oiler do any favors for cryin brian burke? after what he said about them
      after they signed penner to an offer sheet plus the personal war he has with kevin lowe not a chance in hell they make a deal lowe will rub it in burke’s face! that’ll teach cryin brian to keep his mouth shut and not burn bridges amongst his fellow g.m.’s

63. Mattyleg says:

Are all the top 5 ready to start in the NHL next year?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

64. Psycho29 says:

Pat Brisson has pulled out of the running for the Habs GM position…

Edit: http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/338364.html

65. JUST ME says:

Habs do not need d-men. We have a top pk ,we have plenty of youngsters and up and coming ones too ! If the Oilers want to trade their pick good but we do not need to give them a fortune for it. A Bourque of this world may be attractive for them since he`s used to western style of hockey. If they want a d-men it could be negociated but we have no interest in raising the stakes,
    We need goal,goals and goals. We will get a good candidate to fill this void with a number 3 pick.

I think Columbus takes Galchenyuk #2. Grigorenko or a Dman is our option. Very humble opinion with no NHL scouting background granted.

67. Rad says:

If it’s true that Winnipeg is willing to trade their 1st Round pick, the new Habs GM needs to make that happen. We made deals with Winnipeg at last year’s draft, so there is a precedent for the Habs to pull this off. It would mean 2 picks in the top 10, thus giving the rebuild a major boost.

68. dre1744 says:

How about trading our pick to Nashville for Radulov!!!!!!!!
    There is no way the Preds can afford to sign him and if he agrees to sign here why not!!!!!!

69. Chrisadiens says:

I’ve always valued Yerass’ opinion.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

70. Boston Habs Fan says:

Anyway the could trade for Nail? If not would want Alex Galchenyuk or Filip Foresberg

71. PeterD says:

Galchenyuk is only 6′ 0″…and I’m concerned about his knee…not the big sized centre we are looking for…hopefully Grigorenko is still available at 3rd pick…he still has some time in the Q play-offs to step it up a bit.
    Forsberg would be a good pick if there are any doubts about Grigor’s compete consistency…Forsberg as a competetive WINNER would seem to fit with Geoff Molson’s desired characteristics. Apparently he plays wing and Centre and is 6’2″ would give us more positional flexibility at the forward position…sounds intriguing.
    But hey, the Kitchener Rangers still in the O-play-offs we may want to take a good long look at Radek Faksa and good sized 6’3″ centre with good hands.
    I’m also hoping Tomas Hertl slips through to the second round for us to pick up another big centre with skill 6’2″ 200.

Ahhh Mr. Boone, classic pot stirring skills with your little “lazy russian” throw in. Glad it’s okay to stereotype based on country when talking hockey players.

73. CalgaryHab says:

Well, at least you know the draft isn’t fixed. The last team the league wanted to win is the Oilers. What a terrible franchise…

74. Hmmm Dont take grigs take filip forseberg He’d be great with pleks

Fans at HIO are great but quickest way to start losing is to listen to them :)

75. Lizardking89 says:

Just as long as they don’t draft a defenseman at 3rd I’ll be happy. Anyone else catch Burke’s reaction when the Laffs didn’t move up in the draft? I laughed like hell.

76. Sean Bonjovi says:

Eller’s 28 points make him a one-way-centre.

“I’m not opposed to trading Plekanec and/or Markov”
    – Sean Bonjovi

77. Nobody says:

Oh come on, now Don Cherry lives on HIO. Would you say the same about Malkin and Markov?

78. Clay says:

Beaulieu for the first overall pick? In a second.

__________________________
    ☞ Wow, that’s a nice lookin’ pair of Crocs!” Said no one ever.☜

79. Stormin says:

Getting Yakupov and Galchenyuk very intriguing, would be awesome and they love playing together. maybe a package with Beaulieu, Weber, Bourque and one or 2 of our 3 second round picks in 2013 a very strong draft year, could be a doable package without including Subban in any deal for Edm 1st pick

80. jols101 says:

He doesnt mean Schenn for Yakapov straight up. Edmonton gets Schenn and Leafs 5th pick. So Schenn to move up 4 spots. Edmontons not sold on Yakapov they might do it…