Canadiens set camp sked

nbeaulieu

The Canadiens have announced the schedule for their rookie camp.
Nathan Beaulieu and 30 other young prospects begin drills at the Brossard training camp on Monday, Sept. 12.

And TSN has announced its schedule of 30 regional Canadiens game telecasts.

•  •  •

The Rookie Camp announcement:

The Montreal Canadiens announced today that 31 players will participate in
the team’s rookie camp from September 12-15, at the Bell Sports Complex, in Brossard.
Players will take part in on-ice practice sessions and tests as well as off-ice conditioning sessions. Scrimmages will also take place on Monday, September 12, Tuesday, September 13 and Thursday, September 15, from 5 p.m. to 5:45 p.m.
Thirteen (13) of the 31 players at camp are Canadiens draft selections. The group includes first-round picks Nathan Beaulieu (2011), Jarred Tinordi (2010) and Louis Leblanc (2009). Twenty-four (24) of the 31 players also participated in the Canadiens’ 2011 development camp.

Main Training Camp
The Canadiens’ main training camp will debut on Friday, September 16 as players will be reporting for medicals and physicals at the Bell Sports Complex in Brossard. Training camp will run until Wednesday, October 5, in preparation for the season opener against the Maple Leafs at Air Canada Center on Thursday, October 6.

1. klelievre says:

Funny but Enqvist is not on the list !!!
    I though he had a shot to be the forth line centre.
    Will he be at the main camp???

2. Neutral says:

Zack Fitzgerald will fit nicely in JM’s doghouse
    299 GP in the AHL averaged 3.5 pim per game
    right up JM’s alley…

3. Neutral says:

I said when they signed markov PG was taking a Big gamble. I would have never done it that way, I would have signed him in a second but for one year at a time, if he didn’t like that he could pick what ever team he would like to go to. if you think for one moment markov is gonna win us a cup you’d better think again 20 players win the stanley cup not one. we proved it last year against boston without him took them to seven games and I know exactly what you’re gonna say go ahead and say it. if we had markov the results would have been different, Boston beat us with toughness we could match them with everything else markov is not tough and he’s one dirty hit away from selling his skates and we’ll be left holding the bag. don’t get me wrong I’m more than glad we have him just don’t like the contract if he goes down a lot of money paid for a gamble. we’ll see what you have to say than. you’ll cringe every time someone takes him into the boards. I don’t like to see money wasted one year contracts would be worth the gamble. the extra money we could have had a couple of good scores up front where we have been hurting the last few years, I see a little improvement up front but if markov goes down oh boy back to square one….

• SeriousFan09 says:

Boston’s victory was helped along by too much work being piled on Spacek and Hamrlik, two guys in their twilight, not their prime years. Markov is a guy who does 20+ minutes a night in all situations, controls the puck with ease and force the opposition back with his outstanding breakout passes preventing them from throwing too much pressure into the offensive end. Three times we lost an OT game and having Markov around to control the play and fire off passes to create odd-man rushes and breakaways might have just switched things in our favour.

What good scorers were available anyway? It was a bunch of a marginal 2nd liners and 3rd liners the second Brad Richards signed in NY. Did we want Tomas Kopecky at more than what AK is paid? Leino who benefitted from playing on the best 3rd line in the NHL last year against soft competition?

Won 1 playoff series without him in the 4 we’ve played with him missing.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
      SF09 on Twitter

• habs03 says:

First, Markov contract is not a 35+ contract, if he does keep getting hurt and retires, it wont count vs the cap. Two, lol @ how Boston beat us with toughness, keep telling yourself that, in the past 2 regular season, (since we acquired our smurfs) we have 9-3 vs them. The reason they need OT in game 7 to beat us in the playoffs was because we had Moen-Darche in our top 6.

• Da Hema says:

Serious has a nice rebuttal above, but I’ll chip in my two measly cents too. Montreal would have been, and will be this year, a better team with Markov than without. Any player who could turn a piece of crap like Komisarek into an all-star is worth keeping. If he gets injured again, his salary disappears against the cap, and there weren’t any free agent defencemen this past off-season who were capable of playing the kind of total game Markov can. In other words, signing Markov to the deal the Habs did is certainly not a “big gamble.”

• Un Canadien errant says:

I just read the first sentence and stopped. You would have signed Markov one year at a time? No you wouldn’t have, you nincompoop, his agent would have laughed in your face at your one-year offer and taken his talents to Dale Tallon in South Beach.

If Mr. Gauthier wanted to sign Mr. Markov, he had to play ball and offer something approaching market value. Considering what Mr. Erhoff and Mr. Wisniewski received in free agency, we should applaud Mr. Gauthier for signing him to a significant hometown discount.

And stop obsessing about the knee. Mr. Gauthier was the most well-informed person regarding the rehab process. He didn’t make this decision in a vacuum, he consulted with the team’s medical staff and physio staff before making the offer. Stop reading sheep entrails, the best indicator that Mr. Markov’s knee is responding well is that Mr. Gauthier locked him up long-term.

———————————
      How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

4. Mark C says:

Rejoice NAG, Grit, Sandpaper, and toughness crew! Word on the street is Montreal is inviting Zack FitzGerald, 6’2”, 210 lbs, and 32 fights over the past two seasons to camp. Lead the AHL in PIMs two seasons ago.

5. Trisomy 21 says:

I have never followed prospects in the juniors before last year, the only prospect watching I did was to check the age and stats of some of the guys in Hamilton once or twice a year.
    I know that defensemen usually mature a little later than forwards but my question is do top 4 Dmen normally take the same path as Tinordi? (Two years in the minors and then some time in the AHL?) what about top 2? Is it common for top 2 pairing Dmen to skip Juniors all together?

6. cuzzie says:

Sorry to be the sour grapes here . The real season begins in April. The NHL has an 82 game exhibition season. The NHL has to follow the NFL. No gaurantee contracts. The players now are too comfortable . Games during the season have to have more significance. The entertainment level of games during the regular season goes from dull to duller. My job isn’t gauranteed why should these millionaires.

Stay Thirsty My Friends!

• Da Hema says:

A few years ago, I thought the same. However, it does seem that league-wide parity, coupled with the razor-thin margins of making or not making the playoffs, has led to entertaining games throughout the bulk of the season.

I am in agreement with you about the guaranteed contracts, although there is no reason NHL teams cannot send players like Gomez, for example, to the AHL or some other minor league. That’s what happened to Souray, and it removes that player’s salary from the team’s cap. The only thing hurt there is the organization’s bottom line, and as a fan I could care less whether Molson’s would absorb the cost of Gomez’s insane contract–assuming Gomez sucks once again this season (and let’s all hope he doesn’t).

• cuzzie says:

I live from pay cheque to pay cheque. I wouldn’t shed a tear if Mr. Molson didn’t make the 50mill he plans for every year. I’m a savage fan I want to see the best gladiators. I’m not a rookie I’ve seen hockey where players are hungry and owners are hungrier. The stage is an ice rink, and I as a fan want to be entertained. You want my money, give me a show!

Stay Thirsty My Friends!

• Bripro says:

I’m with both of you on that. The rich don’t cry for us, why should we?
          But, like the players always say, it’s a business.

• cuzzie says:

Cause we’re sucks. We know how good the game could be, but we bow to that’s the way it is now. I disagree. Next CBA when MR. Fehr and Buttman start negotiating maybe MR. FAN should be included. I know what I’m saying is far fetched but it’s the way I feel. We have an excellent sport why do we let them ruin it ?

Stay Thirsty My Friends!

• sorry comerade cuzzie, but you talk like the fans are being forced to pay, when in reality they arent

for every fan in montreal that says “you aint gettin a penny from me” you have 100 folks glad to see you lose your spot in line

• cuzzie says:

So true my young man. I’m just an honest man who expects an honest effort. I know the players now are business men. They should make as much as they can, but there should be no gaurantee.
            I am no socialist. I despise Unions.

Stay Thirsty My Friends!

• odd, cuz i AM a socialist, but i can call it as i see it i guess

• Ayan_SB says:

Wait, are you NOT entertained?!

Perhaps Maximus Decimus Meridius can replace Scott Carlos Gomez as #2 centre. He’ll unleash hell upon the Bruins (in this case, the Germanic Barbarians).

• Un Canadien errant says:

I completely disagree cuzzie. What’s the point of a contract if it’s not guaranteed? The NFL contracts are a sham, they pile on years and millions but release players after a season. Look at Donovan McNabb’s ‘contract’ with the Washington Redskins last season, he signed an extension mid-season and was released this off-season. What was the point.

The players are the product the fans are going to see, not sclerotic owners. The players put their life and health on the line, they should be compensated. If Glen Sather and later Bob Gainey believed Scott Gomez was worth all that money, then that’s what the market was at the time.

What makes the games boring isn’t the players not trying hard enough, it’s the stupid NHL too dumb to get out of its own way and being trapped in its own history of unsuccess. If they would free up the game and let the scorers score instead of letting the muckers and the grinders muck and grind, you’d be vastly more entertained.

Don’t blame the players, and don’t blame their guaranteed contracts because you have an unguaranteed job. If you were as talented and in demand as an NHL’er is, your job would be bullet-proof.

———————————
      How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

7. JasonM says:

FINALLY! Let the games begin!

*is excited*

Hello everyone. :)

8. JasonM says:

Comment section requires improvement.

9. Habitant in Surrey says:

…I don’t want to say too much about the recent tragedies …My heart is too heavy
    …One escapes to a ‘space’ like HIO to just escape from the Real World, yet the Real World seems inescapeable
    …just like in the Real World …One dies, and another One …is born
    …so, reading this thread on Our rookie-camp opening imminently is like a glint of sun through a very murky, cloudy sky at this time

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

Shiloh – I’ve been saying that all summer. The cap space that we have now (for this year) doesn’t have anything to do with the future as long as we alot it on a one year contract. To not spend the money when other teams are doing so would be a huge mistake.

It’s not about spending on the scraps that are left over in early September, it’s obviously too late for that now. It was more a case of spending it in mid-July when the team could have picked up a UFA or made a trade for a player who only has one year left on his present deal.

This is our first year of a three year window to win the Cup with the guys who are in place from Gainey’s 2nd five year plan. It’s a long shot year but there is/was still a chance. We could have spent another 2M and still had some left over for injuries or deadline deals. We can still spend the money down the road but it will cost us assets, something we wouldn’t have lost two months ago.

Engqvist better be damn good and it better be right now.

• SeriousFan09 says:

Steve, please, name somebody who is worth bringing on board out of the graveyard of Free agency.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
      SF09 on Twitter

• 24 Cups says:

Gordon, Halpern or Reasoner.

Rupp or Torres on the wing (their extended contracts would replace Moen next year).

Personally, I would have brought Halpern back and let Engqvist and Pulushaj spend one more year in Hamilton. They don’t have to clear waivers and could be late season call-ups or injury replacements.

The cap space that we have for this year has nothing to do with replacing an injured Markov or giving pay increases to Price and Subban in 2012-13. I think that is the point of the article – it’s a one year window of cap flexibility.

I also hear what JD is saying it’s just that I get fed up having to give picks away in February because we didn’t have enough depth. I’d rather load up now as much as possible. We’re only takin’ about a 4th liner here.

Pouliot? I think we would have to be close to the scene* to really know but you could just tell that Martin was fed up near the end. Not to mention we’re talking a centre as being the real need. Pouliot better bust his ass or he just might find that Jordan Caron takees his job by Christmas.

* Which begs the question, outside of the three amigos, who on this site really knows what goes on with the Habs? The Gazette writers might be “inside” but aren’t the rest of us on the “outside”?

• JD_ says:

The heavy-handed point I’m makin’ about Poolio, 24C, is that if the team just wanted warm bodies to fill out the bottom 6, Poolio’s just another sub-$2M UFA they could throw in there. Obviously, they are not lookin’ to throw just anybody in there and, frankly, there hasn’t been much of anybody to get excited about.

I’m certainly not pretendin’ to know anythin’ about how things went down with him.

(On that point, however, in the absence of speculation – much as you’re doin’ with Halpern – we’d pretty much be left spendin’ all our time tweakin’ various line combos on here. Wouldn’t make for much of a read.)

More importantly, this notion of loadin’ up now to offset potential depth issues not only ignores the fact the Habs won’t know what holes will need to be filled, if any, it doesn’t lend any credence to the possibility some quality players could be made available towards the trade deadline, guys that aren’t available right now, or not at a reasonable price.

They may ostensibly also be motivated by a desire to aggressively develop the young forwards before decidin’ who’s going to make the long-term cut.

I remain of the belief the Habs are keepin’ their powder dry on this front and, even possibly, lookin’ to engineer a trade and that AK and D prospects will be involved. Pure speculation on my part.

• clubdehockey says:

It may also have to do with assessing the needs of the team before spending the money. Maybe Engqvist turns out as a solid 4th line centre, but neither of Weber nor Yemelin turn out as desired. Maybe he’ll end up finding out that, based on the first few weeks of watching the team play, the money is better spent on a defenseman than a centre (just as an example).

• JD_ says:

I’d counter by notin’ there isn’t really anythin’ Cup-worthy among the list of sub-$2M UFAs who signed with new teams followin’ July 1st, 24C.

If you alternatively propose that the team should have traded for a UFA on the final year of his contract, it’s no different than givin’ up the assets down the road except in one respect: Pickin’ a pendin’ UFA off a team with no playoff hopes is likely to be cheaper than to have done the same thing durin’ the off-season, when every team thinks it has a chance.

This whole notion of spendin’ for the sake of spendin’ is br00tal enough and was made doubly worse by the fact teams were overspendin’ post July 1st. You simply have to get bang for your buck and not just bodies to fill out a bit of a crowded bottom 6.

Otherwise, Poolio would still be around. That may turn out to be a mistake – I really don’t know – but I’m not countin’ on it.

Given you’re basically proposin’ the Habs chase a rental, I’d prefer to see them do it when it’s cheaper – headin’ into the trade deadline – and where the overall quality of the available players will be higher.

• clubdehockey says:

I think the $4M is the insurance Gauthier is leaving aside in case Markov goes down again. (This is instead of the much bigger risk Gauthier could have taken over the summer: letting go of Markov.) Remember last year at the trade deadline, instead of picking up a difference-maker, Gauthier was forced to use the cap relief from LT injuries to replace those injured. (I believe the quote was, last year he was in a comparative situation to leaving money aside to go on summer vacation, but then the roof of the house fell in.) This year, he’s leaving money aside for both the vacation and the roof. This year, he has room to chase that (or those) difference-maker(s).

I think all we can hope is that PG had the permission to spend if he felt it was needed and was a fair deal for the team. Otherwise if it was just spending for spending well as others have said, wait till during the season and pick some low hanging fruit from the shite teams.

11. InPriceWeTrust31 says:

the only reason why he isnt on the roster is for sure hes been giving a spot as a 13th fowards on our line upp

my lines for this year!

Cammalleri-Pleks-Cole
    Pacioretty-Gomez-Gionta
    Moen-Eller-AK46
    Darche-DD-White

*ENQvist

Markov-Yemelin
    Gill-Subban
    Gorges-Spacek

*Weber

Quelle arrete de carey price!

• savethepuck says:

Thanks, just sent it to my nieces and my nephew who were too stupid to listen to their mother and grow up to be a Habs fan. Instead they listened to their father, the Leafs fan.

• Bripro says:

I’m be interested in seeing what % the original six would have today.
      Detroit higher, Habs, probably about the same, and the Leafs under .400

12. savethepuck says:

Is it surprising that Enqvist is not included in this group? How is he any different than Palushaj in this regard, and he’s on the list.

Does anyone here who’s more familiar with the rookie camp than I amknow how many of these players typically stay on for the teams training camp starting the 16th? Is it usually 1/2 dozen, 10-12, 20, or all of them?

13. Talik Sanis says:

Hockey’s Future has released their updated list of our top prospects. No surprise, in my opinion, who leads it, and how much potential they believe he possesses.

14. ClaytonM says:

I know the most hated NHL team in Montreal is now Boston. They’ve solidified that spot for years to come after last season. But remember a year and a half ago? Sure, we hated Boston, but there was a little respect there too, albeit grudgingly.

There was one other organization that was looked upon with disgust not just by Habs fans but by almost every hockey fan not rooting for them.

So, for everyone who loves to hate the Flyers, and who needs a good laugh after yesterdays tragedy, I give you Bill Burr, Comedian, tearing into a Philly crowd of hecklers for 10 minutes, paying particular attention to their sports franchises. Trust me, the language is R rated :)

Ken Dryden For NHL Commissioner

Calgary Flames 1
    Carolina Hurricanes 1
    Dallas Stars 1
    Tampa Bay Lightning 1

I got it now.

17. Rainrocket16 says:

Is anyone at this camp going to play for the Habs this seasson? I am losing my patience a little with how slow these guys are developing. Just curious though.

• SeriousFan09 says:

Considering we added Pacioretty, Weber, Subban, Desharnais as full-timers last season, I’d say the pipeline is going rather well.

You draft a player to make your team in 3-6 years from when you make the pick depending upon how high the selection is, their development path and skill set. Palushaj, Nash, Dumont are the only players who have even any pro experience under their belt and Stejskal just has a handful of AHL games in his pocket.

I wouldn’t call the development of these prospects slow, it’s the norm when you’re not tanking your way to the draft lottery.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
      SF09 on Twitter

• scrowe21 says:

Palushaj and Nash are probably capable of playing in the NHL now, but theres no spots available for them.

• DearyLeary says:

I like Nash a lot, but I’m not so sure he’s ready for the NHL. It’ll take at least another half a season in Hamilton before I’d be comfortable making a long term prediction for him.

• SeriousFan09 says:

I think he has the goods but he wasn’t ready to handle a season 3x longer than what he was used to, plus he needs to bulk up for the NHL.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
          SF09 on Twitter

• DearyLeary says:

When I’ve watched him in Hamilton I loved his decision making with the puck. He’s not all that gifted physically, but he thinks through the game really well.

So I would agree that putting on some muscle will help him immensely. I wouldn’t say he’s first in line for a callup, that would likely be Diaz’s job to lose (from what we’ve heard of him, since I’ve never watched him play it’s hard for me to assess).

• avatar_58 says:

Tends to happen when you don’t draft top 5 you know. This is normal dev speed

• D Mex says:

You may already know that Sam Pollock moved heaven and earth to ensure the Habs acquired a first-overall can’t-miss prospect by the name of Guy Lafleur once upon a time.

Lafleur needed time to get untracked, but began to pull it together at about the same time he eventually decided to ditch the helmet. The rest, as they say, is history.

Moral of the story : patience is mandatory, even with the very best of them …

ALWAYS Habs -
      D Mex

• Bripro says:

In my opinion, that was the Habs’ best trade ever. Pollock was a genius with foresight more than a year in advance. He traded away players for 1st rounders two, three and even four years later.
        In Lafleur’s case, you’re right…heaven and earth.
        The draft had changed, and Montreal couldn’t just pick french players like they used to. So they traded a journeyman and their first round pick from 1970 to the California Golden Seals in exchange for the Seals’ 1971 first round pick and they also got some cash in the deal, to boot. But the Seals had to finish in the basement. During the following season, it looked like the Kings were gonna finish last, and get first pick in the draft, so Pollock traded Ralph Backstrom to the Kings for a couple of journeymen. Backstrom had a career year in L.A., and they finished out of the cellar, but the Seals did. Having traded the year before for the Seals’ first round pick, Pollock picked Lafleur.
        Pure genius. Unfortunately, it’s much harder to deal with today’s GM’s the same way. They’re a little more astute.

• Bill J says:

Read this: http://sbn.to/MDfXW

You may find it educational.

If you want a days count till Habs hockey, I recommend this as your home page: http://bit.ly/mTnegr

• Bripro says:

Actually, I don’t @Bill J, because I’ve been around long enough to know how the system worked. C forms were used by NHL clubs where their scouts took them. Montreal’s scouts took them throughout Quebec, because it was a successful strategy. And if I was from Quebec and my kid had a chance, who do you think I would hold out for?
            Yvan Cournoyer’s father, and my father and my uncle ran each their own businesses on Norman street in Lachine, and as a kid hovering between one building and the next to see if Yvan was in, I got to hear quite a bit about the league. That you would have found educational.

• Bill J says:

Bripro, like Morenz right ?

C forms where not regional only. French players played all over the league.

• D Mex says:

@ Bripro
          It sounds like you might be, or know someone who is, almost as old as me :-)
          Absolutely correct, Backstrom to LA as insurance that Oakland would end up precisely where Mr Pollock wanted them – he was brilliant !

ALWAYS Habs -
          D Mex

• Bripro says:

The image I post is my grandson, although to a very young father, but still…it gives you an idea.
            Let’s hope our hearts can take the upcoming season. :)

• SeriousFan09 says:

Or a more recent example, Bobby Ryan went 2nd overall behind Crosby in 2005, didn’t make the NHL until 3 years but came out as an immediate 30+ Goal power forward.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
        SF09 on Twitter

18. Robert L says:

Of the 31 players, 10 are from the QMJHL.

Of the 8 players are tryouts, 3 are from Quebec, 2 are from the rest of Canada, 2 are American, and 1 is born in France.

Of the 10 Quebec born players among the 31, 3 (Southorn, Dame-Malka, Brodeur) are on tryouts, 4 (Leblanc, Archambault, Fortier, Dumond) were drafted, 2 (Lefebvre, Masse) were signed as free agents, and 1 (Bournival)acquired by trade.

10 other players are from other Canadian provinces.

The list is rounded out by 6 American born players and 5 Europeans.

All told, it cannot be said that the Canadiens aren’t supportive of talent in their home province and country.

Darren Dietz is mistakenly listed as Nathan Dietz.

19. SeriousFan09 says:

Josh McFadden and Olivier Dame-Malka invites are of interest, McFadden was present at development camp over the summer and was a high-scoring D in the OHL last season, potential PP specialist. Dame-Malka is undersized, but a quick defencemen with a bomb from the point from what I’ve been told.

Ben Winnett is a former University of Michigan teammate of Pacioretty and Palushaj as is Phil DeSimone, a former Capitals pick as well have picked up invites.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
    SF09 on Twitter

20. scrowe21 says:

Wonder how accurate the height/weights are.. Tinordi listed at 220 now. Schultz down too 188?..I’ve seen Berger listed as 205 before but only 193 here.

21. scrowe21 says:

Where is Kristo?

22. Hobie Hansen says:

So will Louis LeBlanc make the jump to the AHL this year or what?

I know it’s the end of the summer but I really haven’t heard much hype surrounding him?

23. SeriousFan09 says:

Who exactly do we bring in that’s worth a bucket of spit from free agency that isn’t A) Closer to Social Security Age than Draft Age or B) Can score more than 5 goals a season?

Just because MTL clears this cap space doesn’t mean we land players who are useful to the team.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
    SF09 on Twitter

24. Bripro says:

The other issue you have to remember is, who pays the bills?
    Who says the Molsons even want to spend that much, if they feel they don’t have to?

25. HabFanSince72 says:

There aren’t any good UFAs but maybe we can spend some of the $4M on a trade?

Sabres are 4M over the cap. We have 4M to spare. Derek Roy has a 4M cap hit.

(Yes I realize it’s not going to happen.)

26. SeriousFan09 says:

If they think capping out will push the playoffs deeper, they’ll OK it. Two playoff games are worth 4 million, issue is the roster is filled and nobody is worth signing.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
    SF09 on Twitter

27. Bripro says:

You’ve got that right. No use throwing away good money after bad!
    I’d venture to say that if they stay healthy, and all play the way the can, I think they could go deep anyhow. I know, it’s a lot of “ifs”.

28. GrimJim says:

I think there’s a second reason for the cap space. The CBA ends after this season and some pundits are saying the NHL will be looking for a roll-back of the cap limit like the NFL got. If Mtl spends to the cap limit this year, and the new CBA lowers the ceiling, Mtl must get rid of people. If Mtl keeps an extra cushion in the cap this year, then any rollback will have less or possibly no effect. It’s a prudent option for the team’s long-term stability.

29. Trisomy 21 says: