Canadiens season ends … too soon

Cherry
It’s been a long, bumpy ride – and Canadiens’ fans were out of Gravol, Tylenol and vodka by the end of October.
And there was misery elsewhere in the true north strong and free.
As Don Cherry says in his candid conversation with Dave Stubbs, it’s a bummer that two great Original Six franchises won’t be in the playoffs.

Red Fisher: Resuscitation will take time

Mike Boone on two losing teams and fan appreciation

Bulldogs have had it tough, too

Marc De Foy sizes up the Canadiens

Who’s in better shape, Habs or Leafs?

Leafs’ fans to blame for bad team?

Torts fined $20K

Freud and the Flyers

1. Irishhabsfan says:

At least we have a clean slate next year,no mucking about for years before the axe falls. The big Irishman in Toronto should have been shown the door also.
    Good luck to Randy, would love to see him stay in the organization in some capacity.Good hockey sense!

2. VancouverHab says:

To all the haters: Done Cherry speaks the perinent truth here in the interview here.

3. Ozmodiar says:

There are a lot of people who want to see the Habs draft a big 1st line center. Okay, fine. Makes sense.

Further, just about every time I see a proposed line-up, DD is centering the 2 best wingers – Max and Cole. Great stuff. Why break up our best line, right? Cool.

Here’s the thing to ponder. Long-term, who plays with the 1st line wingers? DD? The much anticipated, big, 1st line center? Do we know that either of these guys will be more effective than Pleks playing a secondary role (2nd line wingers, defensive zone draws, PK)? Is one of our centers moved to make room for the new recruit, and if so, will he be a sure-fire upgrade?

I’m not against drafting a center by any stretch, but it sure muddies the waters.

• neumann103 says:

As others have posted (Bill, I think HiB, UCE among others) the organizational depth is weakest at Left Wing.

To a certain extent this is a bit artificial as there are players like Cole and Bourque who prefer to play the right side but are left shooters.

They are already in a situation where they have to move at least one guy to the wing (Leblanc looks least out of place there). I don’t think they ought to be afraid of adding a potential elite Center, but I would be just as happy with a Winger.

There is a lot of distraction about the position of Center, and particularly the romance of a #1 Center as defined by a set of criteria that appears to match about 9 players in the league.

The Habs big needs are
      a scoring forward
      a front of the net clearing defenseman

and most of the rest is a distraction.

“Et le but!”

4. Klondike Habs Fan says:

Tankers go home. I have not been sad about any recent losses, as drafting high is a solid recompense for this sad season. But…
    This is Saturday night, they are the Maple Leafs from Toronto, and nous sommes Canadiens!

Tonight we are playing for pride – well what pride is left anyway. Let’s go boys, let’s eat wings in victory tonight!

5. ZepFan2 says:

Go Habs Go
    ———————————————————————-
    “I got a feeling, a feeling deep inside” – Lennon/McCartney

I’ve got a feeling

6. H.Upmann says:

So…. The way I see it: we still have Gomez. We got rid of Cammy for lesser contract but ineffective floater in Bourque. Add to that the Kaberle contract….. Yet we consider our core to not include any of the three above.. $&@”@&$!!!!! Really makes no sense on the part of outgoing management. Well at least PG can now enjoy armchair GM duties just like the rest of us, but from his home in Vermont….

7. saskhabfan says:

Does a regulation loss and an oilers win put us in 29th?

8. tote-road says:

There was some discussion of Eller below in this thread.

Does Eller remind anyone else of a guy who never quite put it together in Montreal, but showed some promise and has had a solid career in other cities? I’m thinking Dainius Zubrus.

9. DorvalTony says:

Not soon enough!

Thanks for listening, Geoff Molson.

10. smiler2729 says:

My distaste for the Laffs runs deep, I DON’T CARE ABOUT TANKING or DRAFT PICKS – I JUST WANNA CREAM THE TRANNA FALLING LAFFS EVERY TIME WE PLAY ‘EM.

__________________________________
    Jack Edwards is a clam, Bruins are pukes.
    Brian Burke is a whining blowhard, Laffs are turds.

• habstrinifan says:

I agree! Please Please boys…. dont let me go to sleep after the last game of this dreadful season with the knowledge that it ended with a loss to the Leafs.

Kick their butts tonight. Get ready Staubitz.. and Blunden… make some blue sweaters look like red slime.

11. JayK-47 says:

Some fun facts from the season to date

Eller scored 25% of his goals in one game

Gomez was even better, netting 50% of his total in one PERIOD

Habs are the worst team when scoring first at .475

Montreal used 4725 different line combinations

11 defensemen were dressed this season

10 different centers were used

Youppi was not assaulted once this season! (not including preseason games)

Montreal led the league in Zany Plays (ZP%)

Enjoy the last game guys! I’mma get dRuNk

• naweed235 says:

i’ve been saying it for the longest time… I don’t see where all this love for Eller comes from… His inconsistency makes AK46 look like a Stamkos

• habstrinifan says:

‘Habs are the worst team when scoring first at .475′. This stat seems insignificant but it is why we need
        a)big stay at home shut down defenseman.
        b)Solid 3rd/4th line that can push back against their pushback… reminiscent of the Gainey Tremblay, Riseborough, McPhee etc.

• Bill H says:

Eller is 22 y/o. While his production may be inconsistent, he is defensively responsible and he is seen to be a hard worker. Wait and see what kind of love he gets in 5 years if he signs a big contract and still scores 15 goals a season.

AK46 is 27 y/o. Big difference. AK scored 26 goals in his break out year in 2007. Since then his play has declined. We have seen flashes of a great player, but a lot of the time he is seen coasting around the ice surface doing nothing. There was lots of love for AK back when he was 22 y/o and still developing his talent.

12. kempie says:

Fun way to waste a couple of minutes:

Edit: took me 3 attempts before the right logo came up.

13. Bill says:

The Habs are in no position to trade Gionta even if he did waive his NTC. They have noone to replace his goals or quality minutes. How did Gionta get lumped in with Gomez around here anyway? He’s a good player.

This year already the Habs have shipped out around fifty goals in Cammalleri and AK, and replaced them with Bouque. Need all the goals we can get.

• smiler2729 says:

Bill For GM!

__________________________________
      Jack Edwards is a clam, Bruins are pukes.
      Brian Burke is a whining blowhard, Laffs are turds.

• matt jordan says:

But I thought you said the Cammalleri trade was a good trade?

• FanCritic says:

Bill – you hit the nail on the head. very sad what a useless GM can do – he ruined a good 2nd line for Bourque who doesn’t seem like he want’s to be there., for sure his stats indicate such. and as you pointed out. fifty goals will be hard to find.

• habstrinifan says:

You convinced me… I have changed my mind. Unless of course we can package him with others for upgrade (big d) or (big c/w).

14. rhino514 says:

Even if you hate Cherry, he didn´t agree either with the firing of Martin.
    I am really beginning to believe that few Canadiens´GMs have caused as much damage in as short a time as Gauthier did. (Kaberle, JM, Cam/Bourque)
    What reinforces this feeling were the few times he DID have to make public announcements. He always seemed nervous, and his answers to questions often simply didn´t make senses; in particular I remember the long winded answer when asked about Pearn´s firing i.e. he kept repeating “It´s nothing against Mr. Pearn as a person”. He came across as someone who wasn´t fully comfortable with being the GM for the Montreal Canadiens.
    Even the media guys for this site and the Gazette, who rarely produce a harsh judgement on anyone in an executive postion, implied subtly through various comments that the guy had to go.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Gauthier did a poor job but this train wreck is Bob Gainey’s.

And I’m willing to bet that if Bob Gainey’s name was Robert Gagné most of you would recognize this fact.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• Habshire says:

Your first line seems to imply that none of us wanted to see Martin fired. It happens to be my happiest day in two years despite the outcome.

15. zephyr says:

i agree the habs don’t have a lot of ground to cover to have a great season. 2 yrs ago they nearly went all the way & last yr boston was lucky to win 3 ot games incl gm7. i think we need to draft a big scoring centre with the lottery pick like grigorenko or galchenyuk. those types of guys are very hard to come by. say what u want about gauthier, he’s compiled a nice stable of prospects & picks for the future so things are looking up there. we’re going to need to get a couple of big bangers for our def next year either thru trades or fa. markhov, subban, georges & emelin are sure bets but u can’t have kaberle, weber, diaz & campoli all on the same team. if we have to keep kaberle, then we need a really punishing dman as a complement. preferably someone who can fight. this team has to be able to make other teams pay for going to the front of the net & that hasn’t been the case for years. i can see pleks as a carbonneau type of ctr & not as a pure offensive ctr.. would anyone mind a shutdown line like carbo’s on this team along with his respectable offense? he’ll need wingers with speed & size. i think eller can be a top 6 fwd. he’s very young & has the potential to have a breakout yr if given some talent to play with like dd & cole. how about maxpax, grigorenko & gionta for a 2nd line? maybe eller isn’t big enough to play on a line that incl dd.
    i’d like to see molson compensate the fans for this season by sending gomez to the ahl & eating his salary. be interesting to see what happens.

16. rhino514 says:

To those questioning this move, putting DD on the first line was a great move. Plekanec is the only centre of the three who can put up 50 points playing with bits and pieces. I like DD alot but I don´t think he would be able to do much with the wingers pleks has played with, nor could Eller. So this way the team ended up with two productive centres whereas if the centres were reversed, only one of them would have cracked the 50 point barrier.

There are those saying we can trade Plekanec now; I think if he had played with Cole and Max Pac he would have a few more points than DD plus still be really good defensively. I think we are forgetting how good a centre he really is.
    And Although anyone would have done better with Max and Cole, I don´t think Eller would have been as productive as DD on that line.
    I think, as others have posted, that Eller shows signs, but he still isn´t there yet, as far as top six. He is the most difficult player on the habs to gage as far as ceiling. He could assert himself next season, or it could take a few more, no one knows.

17. jhab93 says:

Agree with Cherry on Gorges being captain.. Wasn’t Gionta chosen by Martin to be captain? I bett if they voted, Gorges would’ve won by a landslide

Thats the way the cookie crumbles

18. Dr.Rex says:

ALot of talk about signing P A Parenteau. Too be honest I think that would be too risky a signing for where our team is. I think Chris Kelly is more of the player we need as you know what type of playe ryou are getting. Kelly is a stabilizer on teh third line and has 20 goal potential. Parenteau could be a mirage playing with J T and just as Komi was with Markov.

19. Dryden_29 says:

So I just read an interesting comment on Twitter,to this effect….players get a max $2500 fine for physical injuries inflicted on other players,but coaches receive minimum $10000 fines for negative comments…feelings are worth more than physical injuries.Does anyone else find this odd?

• Malreg says:

The $2500 is the maximum allowable fine as per the CBA. It’s one of the concessions the league made during the lock-out.

Coaches and managers are not part of a union, and can be fined as much as the league decides.

20. jo_maka says:

Patch – DD – Cole
    Parise – Pleks – Jagr
    Bourque – Eller – Grigorenko
    Staubitz – White – Blunden

Gorges – Subban
    Markov – Emelin
    Colaiacovo – Diaz

A lot of wishful thinking, Gionta in a deal to move up the draft for one of our 2nd to get a late 1st for Vasilevski or Subban on G.
    If still possible a Tom Wilson, kind of a Cam Neely Milan Lucic take no prisoner dirty nosed bastard.

And if bold enough, the new management can make a slam dunk if they can trade enough for Grigorenko AND Galchenyuk. We’ll have to let go of more stalwarts than Gionta and a pick for that I’m afraid. Probably our 1st for next year.

Gomez down, Kaberle as a 7th until we can package him somewhere where PP help is needed. With the moneyleft, we can still afford a Jagr to insulate Pleks the playmaker, with a Parise as the trigger (the dream). JM vetoed when PG wanted to bring Jagr in, I want him back. That doesn’t leave much for a big stay at home monster, but Colaiacovo will do fine for 2nd or 3rd pairing. Call a Corvo if you want.

Pardon me if I’m daydreaming, I ain’t scared to tell you, I got the good stuff :)
    _________________________________
    Open-mindedness is not a skull fracture

21. Jdub1985 says:

Dump

Gomez – Kaberle – Campoli

thats 16 mill +

now go have fun and get a superstar

• christophor says:

you might want to crunch those numbers again

• JayK-47 says:

Gomez: Punt to Hamilton where he can be a great ‘room’ guy and (lol) leader. Wait, nevermind, don’t let him infect the kids. Mail him to Europe.

Kaberle: A team or two are going to make a quick exit from the playoffs due to their poor PP%. Trade Kab to suckers in need.

Campoli?: He’s UFA. Hey, good luck out there!

22. JUST ME says:

And now the end is near….

Would like to thank the guys from Hamilton who came to the rescue. Did not come through for us but they sacrificed their own season for the big team. In both teams there will be many new faces next year. Bulldogs will be a totally different team if Gallagher,Cristo,Beaulieu and Tinordi to name those ,make it.

In Mtl i think we will see about a third of the team changed in between seasons. Time now to establish who is a keeper and also what if.
    Never had the complete roster and had to deal with an average of 5 missing regulars every game.
    However blind i `ll always be about the Habs i cannot consider myself satisfied about the season. Obviously we are about to turn the page and face a new era.Strangely the post season will be more interresting than the season was itself.

23. Max Pacioretty David Desharnais Erik Cole | Brian Gionta Tomas Plekanec P.A Parenteu | Louis Leblanc Mikhael Girgerenko Rene Bourque | Ryan White Mathieu Darche MIke Blunden Brad Staubitz _______________________________________________________Subban,Gorges Markov,Emelin Kaberle,Allen

• HabFab says:

I concur…

• jedimyrmidon says:

What happened to poor Lars Eller?

• I am not completelly sold on Lars……..He shows up half the time and with how crappy the defense is I would love to trade him for a solid D-Man,And I dont think that P.A’s injury is that bad. Darche is good on the Penality kill….

Fans at HIO are great but quickest way to start losing is to listen to them :)

• jedimyrmidon says:

I think he’s shown that he will improve in the future. Also, even at his young age and level of inexperience at the NHL level, he hasn’t had any consistent wingers all season long, sort of like Pleks. He has played with guys who are even more new to the NHL than him, or been placed with enigmas like AK (although I think they should have been kept together) and Bourque. Moen has been out since Jan. or so.

I would definitely not trade him away.

• Max says:

Agreed. Lars is great. Only 23 and almost a 20 goal scorer with no linemates and no pp time. Typical of many fans to get rid of one of our most promising young players and let them blossom elsewhere. Haven’t we learned anything?Put Eller on a team like Detroit and he’d be a perennial 30plus goal scorer.

I like Lars and he’s one of our main guys moving forward.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Darche won’t be back next year…

• Bob_Sacamano says:

Why does nearly everyone here think Mac – DD – Cole should stay together and where is Eller? He has more potential than DD and I wouldn´t play my two best wingers on one line.

If we don´t get lucky in the lottery we could still try to send our pick + our second round pick next year + a prospect to Columbus to get the rights to draft Yakupov.

Pacioretty – Plekanec – Gionta
      Yakupov – Eller – Cole
      Bourque – Desharnais – Leblanc
      Moen – Geoffrion (or Stoll as a UFA) – White

would look pretty decent to me.

Markov – Gorges
      Allen – Subban
      Emelin – Diaz

with Nash, Beaulieu and Tinordi proving some decent depth.

• Looking at that i agree with you more then my lineup above…..But were not getting Nail and if we do he is a PURE center.But will be a very interesting Off season :D

Fans at HIO are great but quickest way to start losing is to listen to them :)

• jedimyrmidon says:

I think they should stay together because they’ve proven themselves as the best line the Habs have had in a long time. Two 30 goal scorers on the same line? That’s pretty good. Why fix what has actually worked and worked well.

I think the Habs should build assuming that that line is there for the next couple of years at least. Give Pleks Gionta and Bourque as wingers. Gionta can shoot, but will also go to the tough areas. Bourque calls himself a shooter so maybe Gionta will help by doing the tough work. Hopefully that will work.

And give Eller some experienced/hard-working and hopefully somewhat talented wingers so that he can develop his skills further. While Moen can’t be considered the most talented guy, he does bring in experience and a good work ethic. I think Eller needs that to improve his game. Not enigmas like Bourque or other players even younger than him.

• HabFab says:

We could sign AK as a free agent. He had good chemistry going with Eller and Moen :)

• jedimyrmidon says:

They could indeed. Wouldn’t mind them doing it at a reasonable price. It’s not like AK was known to be a cancer in the dressing room. Would be weird/probably won’t happen.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Lars Eller may one day be better than DD but the only thing he has over DD right now is inches.

On every other measure of a hockey player’s worth DD tops young Lars.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• FanCritic says:

Bob – I like the first three lines. The 4th, other than moen. maybe stoll. I would try to do better. for playoff purposes, the 4th line has to contribute on the scoreboard, Moen and Stoll one more 8-10 goal player would complete that line. not sure Geoffrion or white is that guy….

• foghorn11 says:

send darche packing to
      t lett

24. Psycho29 says:

People will do anything in order to keep up to speed on HI/O

Teen sells kidney in order to buy iPAD and iPhone

25. jedimyrmidon says:

I was wondering, is there any other team in the league playing with a 7.3mill cap handicap like the Habs have been over the past couple of seasons?

Seems like when you have that much cap space wasted on a single player + so many injuries, well, seems like the Habs have been playing with a half a roster most of the time. That’s gotta have an effect whether you admit it or not.

Is there any other team besides Pittsburgh or the Flyers who have enough depth to survive those kinds of obstacles?

In any case, at least the injuries and disappointing season have acted as catalysts for a renewed commitment by Molson to build a championship-worthy team.

• ZepFan2 says:

Aren’t the Islanders still paying Yashin? That’s a major league handicap.

———————————————————————-
      “I got a feeling, a feeling deep inside” – Lennon/McCartney

I’ve got a feeling

• HabFab says:

Yes, but Wong, Always Right (Snow) and Never Right (Milbury) are bigger handicaps.

• jedimyrmidon says:

They’re probably still paying him, but does he count against the cap on the Islanders’ team? Did they buy him out? Or send him down to the minors after which he left?

• HabFab says:

Bought him out but paying $2.204,000 against the Cap until the end of the 2014-2015 season.

• ZepFan2 says:

Bought him out in 2007. That means for 6 years they paid him big bucks to suck.

Now paying him to not play. Brilliant. :lol:

———————————————————————-
            “I got a feeling, a feeling deep inside” – Lennon/McCartney

I’ve got a feeling

• HabFab says:

Your musical pick is interesting. Sounds like McCarthy and Lennon agreed to disagree on it’s direction.

• ZepFan2 says:

McCarthy? :razz:

They were going in different directions for quite awhile by the time they made the Let it be album.

———————————————————————-
            “I got a feeling, a feeling deep inside” – Lennon/McCartney

I’ve got a feeling

• HabFab says:

Spotted what side of that fence I landed on huh?
            Have been listening to them since your post. Once hit Lennon’s Women but retreated quickly as soon as I saw HER! haha!
            Listening to Across the Universe now. Thanks for “direction”

• and rick dipietro HAHAHAH MILBURY

Fans at HIO are great but quickest way to start losing is to listen to them :)

26. Mike D says:

As per Renaud Lavoie and SF09, Larry Carriere will be representing the Habs at the Draft Lottery on Tuesday.

- Honestly yours
    Twitter: @de_benny

• habstrinifan says:

Thanks Mike. I take this as good news really. That there is really an in-depth extensive process being undergone for the GM position. It would have been nice to have all ducks lined-up but it is better to get it done right.

I also like the ‘silence’ re all the perceived leading candidates.

Good Luck to Molson and Serge. We need it done right.

• pmaraw says:

ya, so far im way more pleased with the new gm search then i thought i’d be. i was sort of expecting it to be like the toronto burke situation, where its like ‘its him, he’s the guy’ did toronto even interview anyone else? bet their regretting it now

• HabFab says:

Doubt interviews will start before season’s end. Just lining up the ducks.

27. Rad says:

Sounds like 6’2″ Joonas Nattinen had a good second half of the year down in Hamilton. He may be our 3rd line center of the future. If the brass thinks highly of him, one of Pleks or Desharnais could be traded at the draft. Changes are going to be made in Montreal.

28. Mike D says:

No lineup changes for the Habs tonight despite Gio, Gomer, Moen, and Darche being out for morning skate as per John Bartlett’s Twitter.

- Honestly yours
    Twitter: @de_benny

• jedimyrmidon says:

That’s a shame. It would have been nice to have them back in the line-up during this last game. To think, that’s a fifth of the Habs’ normal roster right there.

29. The Dude says:

Both Habs and Leafs SUCK !That being said Montreal in a wee bit better IMO,but to make a perfect disaster of a season for Montreal a loss to da laugh’s with a 3 goal game from Grabs for the last game of the year and in the Bell sounds about right…I predicted this Habs year so?….

30. LafleurGuy says:

At 800,000 bucks a year, I hope CBC finds it hard to retain the services of the Joe McCarthy clone. Since Cherrybomb’s rants against European players in the 1980′s, and since slandering Borje Salming as a “Chicken Swede” because Salming would not punch back in getting punched out by Mel Bridgeman of the Flyers (I used to like Bridgeman when he was a junior with the Edmonton Oil Kings), the NHL has seen a great increase in the number of European players. And who wouldn’t want Lidstrom, Karlsson, Malkin, Ovechkin, or Crosby on their team (hockey quiz, which name doesn’t belong?)? No more milk to squeeze from that cow so now we get to hear the Don Udder his rants and platitudes on other subjects. “When your message is weak, shout.”

“May you live in interesting times.”

The Cavalry may be coming! John Liu tweets that Darche, Moen, Gomez and Gionta are out for the morning skate!

32. habsfan0 says:

The odds of the Habs winning 1st pick in next week’s draft lottery are a scant 14%. Pretty daunting.

However, prior to setting sail on its maiden voyage, what were the odds of the Titanic striking an iceberg and sinking on its first trip?

I think the Habs deck chairs were shuffled in a similar way to the Titanic’s this season. Interesting analogy….

• Stormin says:

Since the ship was built in1912 in metallurgy technology not what it is today. Global warming had not taken effect yet so major ice burgs still prevalent in the North Atlantic. Last but not least the ships captain probably was Irish like me so this meant he was probably navigating while sipping jameson which all leads to the odds being 14%, Good luck habs in the lottery draft.

• Mike D says:

Our odds could move up to an almost equally unimpressive 18.8% with a regulation loss tonight coupled with an Edmonton win (Reg., OT, or SO – doesn’t matter as long as they get 2 points).

Our odds of getting the first overall pick aren’t much improved, but it means we would pick no later than 3rd overall regardless of who wins the lottery.

Of course the most likely scenario is we finish 3rd last meaning we pick no later than 4th overall and I have no idea who Timmins wants most so it may not matter if that player is still available.

- Honestly yours
      Twitter: @de_benny

33. Stormin says:

Here’s some hope

If the NHL closes the AHL route loophole they will definitively have amnesty buyouts and probably 2 at that. So we could say goodbye to Kaberle and Gomez and hopefully trade Bourque if he still cares to play anywhere. maybe Edmonton will take him since that is the only place he ever plays with some heart, I guess since its closest to his family. Then we will be cap ready to go after`some key elements Parise maybe, ties to Quebec through his dad Jean Paul.

• Mark C says:

You want to sent a 30+ point D down to the AHL. Why wouldn’t Montreal just trade Kaberle at the deadline, like the Wild did with Zidlicky?

Agree, if this team gets another big stay at home dman to pair with Kaberle he will produce decent numbers with decent stats and will be tradeable.

Look at the recent contracts being handed out, every season Kaberle’s contract looks more affordable.

5million dollar contracts are becoming the norm in the NHL.

• Mike D says:

Absolutely right, Burly. While his wouldn’t be an easy trade, there are teams that could use a player like Kaberle and have the cap space to acquire him. Edmonton, Minny, and Columbus come to mind immediately. Also, any other team struggling to make the cap floor could see value in him especially since he only has 2 years left. He will likely be a very tradeable commodity in the last year of his contract on deadline day for any team looking for depth in the offensive-defenseman department.

Teams also know they wouldn’t have to give much back in return to get Kaberle so that bodes well for us too.

- Honestly yours
          Twitter: @de_benny

• Stormin says:

The problem with keeping Kaberle, is he is a bad influence on our younger `players, he does not get involed in any tough areas of the ice , does not play hard and really needs to be less selfish and use a longer`hockey stick may hurt his offense a little but will help his defense. Kaberle hurts the dressing room as does gomez they are hurt by there contracts and lack of commitment to the team brings down the overall tightness needed to win and compete on a game to game to game basis

Sorry to say they need to be unloaded at any cost to refresh the locker room.

While I see why you are taking that opinion I think I disagree, or will at least provide an alternate opinion.

When Tomas Kaberle was at the peak of his NHL career in Toronto his mannerisms on the ice and supposed effort level was virtually identical to how he is playing today.

He is one of those players whose talents are very high and perhaps makes skating etc. look easy. This is not to say that he couldn’t be more physical, but that has never been part of his game. He is/was a smart player and relies on an active stick and smart positioning in order to play in his own of the rink.

I am in no way defending Kaberle as an addition to this team, but rather he is on the team for now, and he does bring some talent with him. But to say he is a bad influence I think may be a stretch. I would think other young defencemen know what their game requires and are told by coaches and other veterans on a daily basis. There is another veteran dman named Josh Gorges who plays a complete different game from Kaberle whom they are also watching.

• Mark C says:

I don’t buy that for one second. You really think Subban and Emelin will stop hitting people/playing tough D because Kaberle doesn’t do it? He has a solid rep as a teammate. He was on a Cup winning team last year, clearly he doesn’t hurt a locker room that much.

• Strummer says:

I don’t get the hate for Kaberle or have seen/heard of any evidence he is a bad influence in the locker room or on the younger players.
          Care to put forth any data to support your rant?

______________________________________________________
          “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• jmsheehy19 says:

Strummer, you, I, and the few people Replying here are in the minority for some reason.

Despite statistical evidence supporting that Kaberle is a useful depth option, most here continue with the stance that he’s the worst .5 ppg Cup winning Dman in history, that his cap hit is crippling despite being only 6.6% of the cap, and that two years is a contract of unfathomable length.

• jedimyrmidon says:

Yeah, Kaberle isn’t the most physical of D-men, but he has been putting up points. The idea is, he is not like Gomez at all at this point in his career. Yeah, his contract isn’t the best, but one can still try to make the best of the situation,

Many people here don’t like his style of play, but if he’s on your team, it doesn’t mean that you should automatically go the buyout/bury route.

I think the level of dislike for him is a bit overblown sometimes.

• Psycho29 says:

How exactly is Kaberle a “bad influence” on the younger players?
          I have never heard anything negative from his team mates about him.

34. Strummer says:

I wonder if Milbury will make an appearance on NBC this afternoon and on HNIC tonight.
    It seems the partnership between the NHL and NBC as it has created a “No Crtiicism Zone” as it relates to the Penguins and golden marketing goose Crosby.
    Tortorella got dinged yesterday.
    I heard an interesting take on the Fan590 yesterday where Bob McCowan referred to the partnership as an “Infomercial for The Winter Classic.’
    He even suggested that NBC run “The following is a paid commercial presentaion” at the start of NHL hockey broadcasts.
    Food for thought.

———————————————————————————–
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• habstrinifan says:

Heard something on Friday about Milbury not being invited to some NBC meeting … seems they are shutting him out.

• LafleurGuy says:

Steckel didn’t even get a penalty for nailing the Kid. Vancouver, Penguins, whose the next team for a mob hatefest? Mike Richards dumped on P.K. Subban a year and a half a go and the followers harped on that theme highlighted by the televised misspeak that Subban should be like Doughty and play the white way. If ignorance were humorous, I’m splitting a gut. Stop, stop, let me catch my breath! Going to watch replays of the Vancouver riot.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• Stormin says:

ya man i agree

35. Mike D says:

Question. Some have opined that the new CBA may not allow for a penalty-free buyout, and also that it may include a rule that prevents teams from burying a player in the AHL for cap relief (citing that it’s an unfair advantage for the wealthier teams to get out of a bad contract). If these scenarios come to fruition, it will have major implications for our team, specifically regarding what can be done about Gomez.

My question is this: Do we have the ability to waive Gomez down to the minors before the new CBA takes effect as a “just in case” maneuver?

- Honestly yours
    Twitter: @de_benny

• habstrinifan says:

Good question. Cause there is a real possibility that all loopholes may be closed including the ones Chicago and NYR used.

We need a GM in place soon!

• Mike D says:

I think Carriere is competent enough to waive a guy, I just don’t know if the rules allow that during the offseason, and if so, if it’s allowed prior to the new CBA being in place.

I also don’t know if that avenue has even been thought of by LC, SS, or Molson at this point considering they have their hands full with the draft and GM search…..both of which they MUST get right, and they know it.

- Honestly yours
        Twitter: @de_benny

• Stormin says:

If they close the AHL route loophole they will definitively have amnesty buyouts and probably 2 at that. So we could say goodbye to Kaberle and Gomez and hopefully trade Bourque if he still cares to play anywhere. maybe Edmonton will take him since that is the only place he ever plays with some heart, I guess since its closest to his family. Then we will be cap ready to go after`some key elements Parise maybe, ties to Quebec through his dad Jean Paul.

• twocents says:

Even if you could at this point of the year, you can’t waive an injured player.

• Mike D says:

Yeah I’m aware of the injury rules as that’s what prevented us from getting Betts at the beginning of the season. Given that Gomer has a concussion there’s no telling when he’ll be healed.

Maybe he and the team can reach an agreement that even when he is healed, he’ll claim to be injured. It’s kinda win-win. Gomez still gets paid while not embarrassing himself any further, and the team can place him on the IR thereby freeing up his cap space.

- Honestly yours
        Twitter: @de_benny

• Mark C says:

I would think so, at least buyouts. The current CBA expires on 9/15/2012, and buyouts can take place once the playoffs are over.

• Mike D says:

I wouldn’t want a normal buyout though as that would have a pretty significant impact on our cap situation. The only buyout that would work is the amnesty buyout (a.k.a. penalty free buyout). If they don’t have one like they did after the last CBA agreement, we could be stuck. Especially if the close the AHL loophole.

Have a look at capgeek.com and use the buyout calculator for Gomez. You’ll see what I mean.

- Honestly yours
        Twitter: @de_benny

• Habshire says:

Just a note on waivers taken from: http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2009/11/26/1174855/waivers-101-a-guide-to-the-nhl

The first day of the season which players are subject to waivers is twelve days prior to the start of the regular season, until the last day after the end of the team’s season.

All waiver transactions are reset at the start of each season.

Even if you could waive Gomez tomorrow his status would be reset in September after the cba expires. Let’s hope Stormin is right.

36. Psycho29 says:

Way to scare the crap outta me with that Cherry picture, Mike!
    For a second there I thought the Habs named their new GM!!

37. Hobie Hansen says:

Don Cherry is and always will be a standup guy. He speaks his mind and always stands up for what he believes in, right or wrong.

He has his believes, he knows the game and when he sticks to hockey he’s right 99% of the time and has true feel for the game.

He’s bang on as usual about the Canadiens when he talks about Gorges, Subban and their need to get bigger and tougher.

• New says:

Yeah but some fans don’t want to hear that. Once they get down on someone they want to drive the player out of town. Cherry will usually turn out to have been right. Some fans can’t stand that either.

Notice that he never directly said Gauthier. He just said he never saw anything handled like this before.

• LafleurGuy says:

Which players would not benefit from getting bigger and tougher? Being a movie critic is so much easier than being a moviemaker. Different concepts of being a stand-up guy. Calling decent people pukes because their beliefs and opinions differ from yours is not the actions of a standup guy. The word that applies is loudmouth. Apologizing is often heard and seen from standup guys. “I did something wrong, and I would like to make amends.” That’s what I see from standup guys.

“May you live in interesting times.”

38. habstrinifan says:

Any thoughts on Brendon Guance from Belleville Bulls. Sleeper pick in first round?

• Mike D says:

Don’t know tons about him Trini, but the guys on here that have supported him list his primary asset as being Canadian. Not saying he doesn’t bring more to the table, as he wouldn’t have such a high ranking otherwise, but I’d like more substance on his hockey skills before putting him ahead of other forwards such as Nail, Grigs, Gally, and Forsberg.

- Honestly yours
      Twitter: @de_benny

• habstrinifan says:

I am thinking trading down to get current nhler. I am not too keen re the top picks.. but again that’s just me. I am professing no expertise here. I just see size and nothing else in the top names being bandied about. If we could trade down…..

• Stormin says:

In my opinion this years draft is Defenseman top heavy, only sure bet offensively is Yakupov, Alex Galchenyuk probably would have been the first pick in my opinion had he not blown out his knee torn acl last year only played a couple of games this year, so he becomes a gamble. Looks like a defenseman loaded draft with some great d prospects.I think there will be numerous trades and movements in the draft this year . probably see a couple of goalies go first round as well like Malcom Subban and Andrei Vasilevski

• Stormin says:

He just got selected to Canada;s under 18 team for the upcoming worlds, as his OHL team is out of the playoffs. I dont think he will make it out of the top ten, Center;s with size are a commodity in big time demand. Seen him play twice hard to make judgement but i dont see the playmaking ablilty of say a Mikhail Grigorenko or Alex Galchenyuk.

• Stormin says:

Maybe more along the lines of a 3rd line center with size that can produce some points as well, be surprised if he is not selected in top ten

• Mike D says:

The last thing we need is another 2nd/3rd line Centerman.

- Honestly yours
        Twitter: @de_benny

• habstrinifan says:

Since you put it so starkly… back to the drawing board.

Would be nice though if we could trade down… pick up a guy like Wayne Simmonds (like him) and still keep a 1st round pick.

• Mike D says:

I like Simmonds too as a player. Only problem is that now we are pretty set at power forward and are lacking in the skilled forward dept. I’m not against getting another power forward per se, but you can’t have 8 wingers like Cole, Max, or Simmonds and find as much success as you would with a couple of those guys complimented with, say a Gaborik and Vanek.

- Honestly yours
            Twitter: @de_benny

39. Habfan10912 says:

Over under on when first article on how Scott Gomez is working hard during this off season so he can come into camp in best shape ever. 45 days.

40. Stormin says:

Update to my earlier post below concerning my hopes of Canadiens drafting local boy Mike Matheson with our 1st pick of the second round. Talking to some scouts looks like he is high on some late first round scouts wish list. Bruins interest is moderate but they love to raid Quebec talent on habs. Pittsburgh is high and also has connection because Matheson’s family has some ties to that organization through one of his Uncle’s. But from all what i hear,,` though if he is still around when St. Louis picks he will be chosen by the Blues. So looks like the habs would have to move up to select this local gem from Pointe Claire

I would like to see Habs use second pick on Mike Matheson local pointe clare boy, rated 25th by ISS 29 byCSS and 37 by TSN, hopefully will still be available with our first pick in the second round, One of the best pure skating d man available in the draft, playing in USHL for former hab Jim Montgomery in Dubuque . Played Midget for Lac st Louis ions, ala Louis Leblanc. Captained Midget lions to Midget provincial Championship last year, played for Canada’s gold medal team at Under 18 Ivan Hlinka, Looks to be headed to NCAA which is fine as we have some d prospects ahead of him . Matheson has size great shot and skates as smooth and strong as anyone in draft. He was projected number 1 in last year’s QMJHL draft ahead of Nathan Mckinnon at the time, but chose the USHL and NCAA route even so still went in the second round of the Q draft would be a steal if we could get him with our first pick in the second round, and a local pick to boot bilingual for all the politically thinking fans. He is a steal in the 2nd round.

• habstrinifan says:

Good post. I am gonna do some more reading on him. I have been checking rankings and did see his name.

• Stormin says:

Thanks, trying to get his name out there so for a change, we make a push for great local talent, i am starting to think we need a little more talent from Quebec who know what it means to wear the CH logo. I have seen him play on numerous occasions. I believe he has more upside than our own Nathan Beaulieu. Great shot, very strong physically and one of the best pure skaters in the draft bar none.

41. habstrinifan says:

Reading the leafs-habs comparison. They list each team’s core and makes it EVEN. No way I say. Habs are better. And we wont be burdened with the ‘wrong’ coach for the ‘wrong’ team… unless Molson/GM screws up.

42. HABZ24 says:

imagine how different a season we may have had if habs had markov for the full season, if we had ryan white and staubitz the entire season.if we had gionta healthy all year, if gomer pyle gomez earned his massive salary and actually contributed 30 goals this year.if plekanec woulda been more productive,if we woulda had cunnyworth and his play hard or sit style all year. this season would have ended way better.lots ifs and or tee times…. NEXT YEAR. PS: CRUSH THE MAPLE LOOPS TONIGHT OK !!

GO HABS GO

43. The Cat says:

Im glad Tortorella and Laviolette are speaking out about the Penguins. Need a couple more to do so, and maybe the NHL will try harder to have a semblance of integrity.

• LafleurGuy says:

Evidence? This league has the Boston Bruins. A little while ago, the hatefest was for the Vancouver Canucks.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• Strummer says:

Milbury wasn’t wrong either.
      NHL- No Honesty League

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• HabFanSince72 says:

How is Tortorella’s tirade useful or interesting?

He was angry (with reason mind you) and made the kind of accusations that could have been made by any 10 year old on any playground.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

44. habstrinifan says:

I say we cheer for a spectacular beatdown of the Leafs tonight. Let the drafts standing chips fall where they might.

Let’s have the building rocking.

I do not want to go to bed tonight recalling the Leafs winning. Nor do I want a stoooopid shootout.

A regulation WIN like 5-3 or a spectacular overtime goal.!

• Cal says:

10-0 Habs will leave me smiling…a little.

• jo_maka says:

An OT loss for the Weeds mean they’re out of the lottery, Anaheim being the tie breaker.

I want our boys to beat them senseless with hits, dazzling play, and put the nail- get it, nail- in their lottery coffin by dragging them to OT by setting up continuously our Tank sergeant Bourque.

I want Emelin, if healthy, to make up for the lost Booms of the last months.

I want Kessel and Lupul to kiss the number 76 in the back of a scarlet jersey at the blueline.

I want the smooth Danish to add a sweet finish by undressing Phaneuf yet again, then smile and pretend nothing happened after the red light went tilt.

I want Staubitz to show Brown that his moustache is not an electromagnetic shield against an ambidextrous stylish beating.

I want White to smile his spaniel glee with all his 3 teeth and his lock of furious blond hay as he casually skates to the box past a confused and bloodied Bozak.

And, as I’ve been yearning for it all season long, I want Markov to score on a breakaway with the patented backhander.
      _________________________________
      Open-mindedness is not a skull fracture

Nice, got me more pumped up for tonights game! I don’t think what you typed is too much to ask for, given what we have been through this year!!

• habstrinifan says:

Geez! You had me doing up my freaking skates before I realized I hadnt been called up for some muscle. I think I could take Kessel and Grabovski with my hands tied behind my back. Wel maybe NOT!

go habs go!!!!

45. The Cat says:

I liked the article on Don Cherry. I think hes a good guy.

46. novahab says:

Ok everyone take a deep breath it will be ok. Next year they will be fighting for first over all. Why because Roy will be behind the beach.

Roy has since compiled one of the most successful records of any major junior coach in history, leading the Remparts to seven straight winning seasons and a combined record of 308-142-13-19.

He promptly guided the Remparts to a Memorial Cup win, clearly demonstrating a natural knack for coaching.

Roy is a winner case closed.

Are familiar with the slogan, You can’t make chicken salad out of chicken S$#T. I am not saying we are that bad, but Scotty Bowman in his prime wouldn’t turn this team into #1 in the NHL without some help from a wise GM.

I respect your optimism, and I do believe this team will get better. It is going to take a couple years I think, assuming Molson makes wise choices going forward with his mgmt. team who in turn must make wise choices regarding coach.

I would be concerned if Molson has already decided that Roy will be coach and he is now trying to find a GM that can live with that, just would seem backwards to me.

• Cal says:

LMAO! Roy behind the bench in Montreal when Phoenix or the Islanders will be headed to Quebec? Not in his lifetime.

• habstrinifan says:

I hope if Roy gets the job you are right. I think it will be disaster on steroids if he does though.

You see how Carlyle has a team that he isnt suited to… this will be the case with Roy and our team as it mostly is constitued now and will be for the next year or two. And worse of all the french media will side with him and make life intolerable for the players if things start rotten….they will until his act wears hin.

Hope you are right…if he gets the job and I am wrong.

My take is he is totally out of the picture for either the GM or coach now.

47. habstrinifan says:

Here’s a player that habs management should be looking at to possibly sign as a free-agent during the summer. He is passed his draft eligibility but look at his progression.

I dont know his injuries or atttitude but he is playing in the playoffs now.

It is the type of pickups that Mtl needs to be diligently pursuing from the QJMHL.

Danick Gauthier
    Right Wing
    Born Oct 24 1991 — Repentigny, PQ
    Height 6.02 — Weight 198 — Shoots L

— Regular Season — —- Playoffs —-
    Season Team Lge GP G A Pts PIM GP G A Pts PIM
    ————————————————————————————–
    2008-09 Shawinigan Cataractes QMJHL 1 0 1 1 0 — — — — –
    2008-09 Saint John Sea Dogs QMJHL 21 5 2 7 12 // 4 1 1 2 0
    2009-10 Saint John Sea Dogs QMJHL 66 13 9 22 68 // 21 6 4 10 8
    2010-11 Saint John Sea Dogs QMJHL 65 11 19 30 78 // 18 3 1 4 21
    2011-12 Saint John Sea Dogs QMJHL 66 47 39 86 67//
    2011-12p Saint John Sea Dogs QMJHL
    5 6 2 8 2

The second line of stats is his playoff stats… quite good.

He wished that you MTL fans dont hold his name against him. LOL!!!!

• habstrinifan says:

ooops i see he was signed by Tampa Bay March 2 2012 to 3 yr deal. Hey PG where the F were you?

Maybe it was our future GM Brisebois that found him for Tampa?

• habstrinifan says:

HA! HA! I bow to genius when I see it. And I gotta bow to you on this post and if you are right… maybe I gotta bow to Brisebois as our GM. Good one!

Seriously wouldnt it be great if indeed it was Him… a good sign.

Hey we gotta find positives wherever possible these days Trin! Hope you are having a nice Easter weekend my friend!

• HabFab says:

Have seen him play numerous times and up to this season he was a Todd Ewan. This season as an overage junior, he became a scorer also. How that translates into the pros is only a guess but definitely worth a look.
            When we picked up young Geoffrion, we also picked up a kid named Robert Slaney, his junior career was similar to Gauthier’s. He was signed by Toronto and of course projected as a sure bet. He is now coming to the end of his 3 year entry contract and has 3G + 10A in 81 AHL games plus 71 points in 144 ECHL games along with being traded twice. Not exactly NHL material.

@HabFab, hey take your rational thoughts somewhere else. Here is what I gotta say to you raining on Trin and mine’s parade. :)

• Un Canadien errant says:

Nothing wrong with a Repentigny kid. And I say that as Charlemagne boy.

Now those l’Assomption guys, however….

———————————
      How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

48. HabsFansince49 says:

In this case I hope I’m wrong, but I don’t think so. It will take years to get the Habs out of this mess. I agree with Red Fisher. The first round draft pick is not the panacea for our ills. Look at the Oilers. The poll which has been on this site for weeks is a pure fantasy question with more fantastic answers. We have 1 line; we have a top goalie (if he stays); we have a couple of young stars (e.g. Subban and Eller); we have a couple of solid veteran D-men and that’s it. Worse, much worse, we are saddled with extremely heavy salary commitments to awful players. We may slip into the playoffs some year, but Cup contenders will take much longer. No messiah behind the bench or in the front office can resurrect this team in the short term. It will take strong leadership, something that has been lacking in the GM’s position for years.

• Cal says:

The Oilers young guns are too young and their old guys are too old. No D and suspect goaltending = many more crappy perpetual tanking seasons. Many talk about how they are building a powerhouse, but without D and goaltending, they will be bad.

The Habs have decent to great D in Subban, Gorges, Markov, Emelin. They lack a stay at home monster hitter to play with Kaberle (until his contract runs out).
      With Gomez in the minors, $7.375mil cap space is freed up for the next 2 seasons.
      Moen, Darche and Campoli will be gone, too. Diaz and Weber must be moved- too small to be effective on a team with too many under-sized players. St.Denis must go, too. These 6 should be easily replaced.
      On UFA front, perhaps Nicklas Grossman of the Flyers should be considered (haven’t been able to find his hit numbers).
      With some younger players knocking on the door, the Habs are in good shape unless they pull a real boner hiring the next gm and coaches.

• JF says:

It will take a while, but maybe not as long as you think. I have to think the team will find a way to dump the Gomez contract, which leaves only Kaberle and Bourque as bad contracts. Kaberle may be tradeable, but he does contribute and could be OK paired with a solid, stay-at-home defenceman. I’m giving Bourque a pass until next season; if at that point he isn’t more effective, the team will have to find a way to get rid of him.

The real problem for the Habs is lack of depth in the system, particularly up front. We have some good-looking prospects in Gallagher, Kristo, and Holland, but we have no idea whether these guys will be able to translate their offensive skills to the NHL level. Things are brighter on defence, with Beaulieu and Tinordi coming along, and Pateryn, Ellis, and Dietz behind them.

But none of these players will be ready next year, possibly not even the year after. Nor is there much on the free agent market. The worst mistakes the Habs could make would be to overpay for free agents as temporary stop-gaps or, alternately, to rush their young players, thus risking either thwarting their development or losing them. I think the team needs to spend a couple of years building a solid base, stockpiling picks and prospects, and letting the ones they have hone their skills in the AHL. Two years from now we should be on the way to being contenders. The alternative is to continue over-spending, squandering picks and prospects, and applying patches and bandaids to stumble into the playoffs, as we have been doing for the last couple of decades.

• Cal says:

The Habs can be a playoff team next year. Not a contender, perhaps, but a playoff team. They won’t need bandaids to do it either. Just players playing to about 75% of their offensive capabilities. Have you ever seen so many Habs forwards having this bad a year at the same time?

• Clay says:

What’s the point of being a playoff team, but not a contender? I’d rather see a good draft pick come our way and young guys get experience than have the team finish 8th and have an early first round exit.

__________________________
          ☞ Wow, that’s a nice lookin’ pair of Crocs!” Said no one ever.☜

I think if the team starts making wise decisions player personnel wise, the team improves. If it so happens that the improvement leads to 8th place next year so be it.

I don’t think you can go into a season and say we are going to tank for a draft choice. The key as many have said, is that short term bandaids stop, trades like the one acquiring Kaberle no longer occur. I do think he can be tradeable for us next year, but to acquire aging vets with big contracts is not the way to build. The rebuild has begun with this years freefall and hopefully a nice progression forward from here will follow.

I truly hope we don’t go through another season like this one.

• Clay says:

Gerald – I agree totally that it had to be a real rebuild based on ‘wise decisions’, which is exactly why I think the playoffs won’t happen so soon, and we will need a few years of sucking before we can be good.
            I’m not saying ‘tank’ per-se, but just suggesting that we let nature take it’s course.
            As for another season like this one…if it landed us a prospect as good as Nathan McKinnon (sp?) is supposed to be, I can live with it. Sometimes you need to take a step back before you can move forward…

__________________________
            ☞ Wow, that’s a nice lookin’ pair of Crocs!” Said no one ever.☜

• JF says:

The Habs may perhaps be a playoff team next year, but that should not be the goal. Building a playoff team is not that hard; we’ve done it most years. Geoff Molson said the goal was to build a team that could contend for the Cup every year. I hope he is serious about this, and that the new management team will make the right decisions and have the necessary patience. For the reasons I gave above, I think it will take a couple of years before we see real progress in this direction, whether or not we make the playoffs next year.

• Cal says:

Contending for the Cup means not being a losing team. The core isn’t as horrible as many here think. I do not think it will take that long.
            Columbus and the Islanders and the Oilers have stunk for season after season to what avail? An astute GM can build fairly quickly. Tallon in Florida, for example.

Does anyone here really want to watch losing hockey for the next seasons hoping to bag an unproven draft pick?

Man I thought I typed in the wrong web site address when I saw a Picture of Don Cherry here. While I disagree with much of what he says, I do know that in a twisted fashion he does love hockey and does love Canada.

Having said that, I hope the Brooins lose first round along with Philadelphia. Will be interesting to see who he then would pick to cheer for.

Anyhow that is enough on Don Cherry….

Go Habs Go! Lets beat the Leafs tonight!

50. Habfan10912 says:

Am I the only one that think Cherry is responding to recent reports about his job under some consideration due to funding issues? Now when his position may be a bit threatened he wants to say good things about the Habs? He is a phoney and a racist.

Just my opinion James but I think deep down Cherry has a respect for the Montreal Canadiens but it may also be covered with jealousy and anger.

You have to remember his greatest successes as a coach were squashed by the Habs. His one and only game in the NHL was a playoff game against the Habs, and while the Habs didn’t win the Cup that year we did knock the Bruins out of the Playoffs.

The Habs one could say always stood in the way of him reaching the pinnacles of his career be it as a player or a coach.

He probably has a personal grudge against the Habs, but like I said, I think deep down he knows what a great organization the Habs have been and is jealous.

As I say, just my opinion.

• habstrinifan says:

I think he was speaking from the heart. He expresses himself in simple ‘black and white’ and is indeed given to some not so noble ‘attitudes’ re ….. well I better not go there. But he loves his hockey, he loves the old times, and he does indeed respect the Canadiens and what they stand for.

Something those two clowns PG and JM didnt… they only thought of themselves and their ‘methods’.

51. Cal says:

I stopped caring about what The Tapestried Idiot on Coach’s Corner had to say about things since about, oh, 1980something when the CBC gave a soapbox to a moron. He’s always been anti-Hab so he can go eff himself with one his starched collars for all I care. Stubbs shouldn’t have wasted ink on him.

52. WindsorHab-10 says:

Not a Don Cherry fan but I agree with his choice of Josh Gorges as Captain of the Habs.

53. Habfan10912 says:

Thought the same thing (Great Minds :) ). Funny how last week this guy said he couldn’t care less about the Habs when asked about the new GM search. Today he’s sad because they are not in the play-offs? Can we all say PHONEY!

54. H.Upmann says:

lovely…. start the day with Cherry!

55. HabFab says:

Bite your tongue!

56. Habfan10912 says:

Long term you’re probably right but personally I hated this season and don’t want it repeated.

57. Cal says:

Habs lost in 5 against the Flyers.

58. Habfan10912 says:

Well as one of my country’s past Presidents might say, ” depends on what your definition of suck is.” :)

59. pmaraw says:

ya, he posted this crap before… i responded the same way, yet he still drones on, im thinking he’s gonna be some kinda hybrid gerry from the west island or something, all caps and italics, no listen.

60. Rad says:

I am aware of the fact that Pleks has a limited no trade clause, as do many other players in the NHL. That doesn’t mean he cannot be traded.

61. I would not get rid of Pleks Give him 1 more winger and hes a beast…..and on the PK hes the reason wre # 2 in the league :)

Fans at HIO are great but quickest way to start losing is to listen to them :)

62. Psycho29 says:

Well if you’re going to do that at least try to get Stamkos AND Marc-Andre Bergeron ;-)

63. HabFab says:

Timo has already offered a body part (ouch!) for MAB so he probably would be grateful!

64. jo_maka says:

They are if it’s to get a late 1st
    _________________________________
    Open-mindedness is not a skull fracture

65. Hobie Hansen says:

I agree that Gionta is a good player and I happy to have him on the team.

I hope they find a good winger to play on a line with him and Plekeanec next season because the Cammalleri-Plekanec-Gionta line the Canadiens were rolling out there just didn’t click.

Cammalleri had a great shot but no wheels and did nothing off the rush. Gionta needs a winger on the other side to drive to the net or one that can pass him the puck so he can come barreling in off the wing.

66. habstrinifan says:

They rejected Timo’s body part (something about wanting size in return ) so habsolutely will have to step up to the plate.