Canadiens say au revoir

GorgesPrice
HIO will be at the Brossard training complex Monday morning for the Canadiens post-mortem.
No one from management will be on hand.
The team has no general manager, for now, and Randy Cunneyworth said his piece after the game on Saturday.

Dave Stubbs on Cunneyworth

Carey Price was in the house for finale

Staubitz finally scores

Tim Snow’s photos of last game

New GM faces challenge

Red Fisher on Serge Savard

Pierre Ladouceur’s last report card

François Gagnon looks at the season stats

Piling on Crosby

10 things to watch for in the playoffs

1. frankforster says:

In terms of the Playoff Predictions for Round 1, I agree with most of the above but I thought I’d order them as follows;

New York Rangers

4. The Red Light Rustler
    3. Wyatt Sin
    2. Calamity Lame
    1. Doc Goaladay

3. bleublancrouge says:

Dear Jack Todd,

Please take off the Youppi costume for next season. Just because you’re at the bell centre doesn’t qualify you to write about hockey.

I would change my name to bluewhitered but I don’t want to start a controversy

4. The Jackal says:

Is whoever we draft going to start playing on the team or will he start in Hamilton?

5. habs001 says:

Is there a ranking system for players that are still playing junior hockey but have been drafted?…would be interesting to see where all nhl teams rank…

6. Malreg says:

I’m guessing this will be the year that the Devils will forfeit their 1st round pick from the Kovalchuk disaster.

If so, that means our 2nd round picks will be 1 spot higher :P

7. boonie says:

HH – thanks for the link to Boston.com’s article on our GM search. It’s always nice to read the perspective from a respected adversary (Boston, not you… although :-0)…

Intriguing comment that two long time player agents place Bergevin “heads and shoulders above the rest of the field”. For some reason, I’d like to see Brisbois not get the job. Don’t get me wrong, he’s paid his dues and had all the requisite success. I’d just like to leave the current group entirely and start fresh.

I think Dale Tallon would have been good, but that ship sailed.

8. habs-hampton says:

So, I see a lot of people (including Jack Todd) saying that Price isn’t a sacred cow, and he is expendable. So, just for arguments sake, say we trade him or lose him as an RFA. Who do you replace him with? Some will disagree with me, but goalies of his calibre are NOT easy to find!

• Boomer says:

I agree with you hamps,
      not easy to replace a guy like carey, the thing is with him he’s dominated every league since he was a teen. And it’s only a matter of time till he dominates this one. With a strong D corps infront of him (which he hasn’t had so far) he would be this year’s Lundqvist.
      As far as carey not being a sacred cow i disagree i converted to hinduism because of that man…

• Mad Habber says:

Not that I think the Habs should trade Price, but Malcom Subban plays a very similar style. Is he as good as Price? I don’t know really.

I remember back when the Habs selected Price a lot of the rankings had him going to the Sens or Leafs (I think 15th, 17th or something like that), some people thought they picked him just to keep him away from them.

9. Boomer says:

Don’t know if this was already posted, if it was my bad.
    Central Scouting’s final draft rankings for north american and european skaters.
    if we win the lottery its clear its nail,
    if not we’re looking at Grigorenko or Galchenyuk.
    Pointe claire dman turning heads in the states michael matheson (DUBUQUE ) is ranked 30th for north american skaters. Another guy that i’ve only seen once but impressed me was Matia Marcantuoni (kitchner center) he’s projected to go late in the 2nd-3rd round. its gonna be interesting to see how this goes down.
    To the new GM, please don’t draft 5 dmen again

Cheers

• Stormin says:

Check out these high lights of I hope the newest Canadiens from this years draft Alex Galchenyuk and Michael Matheson. Matheson has grown 2 more inches and is not as listed 6″1 but is now 6’3 size matters in the show. His biggest asset though is he is one of the best pure skating d man in the draft, superior offensive skills , skating hard shot. Physically strong going to Boston College NCAA after this season , playing in Dubuque for former Hab Jim Montgomery. From Pointe Claire perfectly bilingual for the politically thinking supporters of the Habs, I have seen him play many many times and he would be a steal with our first pick in the 2nd round.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

“Pointe claire dman turning heads in the states” should be playing in the LHJMQ.

“Patch the holes, ride it out, Play for 2015″
      – Sean Bonjovi

10. PureGuava says:

Maybe next year Price can lasso up some pucks.

11. Maksimir says:

Playoff Predictions Round 1 – I thought I’d get it started:

New York Rangers
    Boston
    New Jersey
    Pittsburgh

Vancouver
    St Louis
    Chicago
    Detroit

Det-Nash hardest one to pick, experience over youth/talent.. I figure the Kostitsyns will disappear and Babcock will figure out a way to neutralize the rest.

12. Chrisadiens says:

Another blog from Pops…the best one yet. I laughed until tears came out.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

Haha, brilliant, love that story, ah Jim your father is priceless. Thanks for sharing that Chris.

I am assuming Chris you still have the mankind autograph somewhere in your posession?

Good Stuff to both of you.

13. Captain aHab says:

To me the only way they don’t draft either Grigs or Galchenyuk is if they end up drafting 4th and neither are available or if Yakupov somehow falls.

—————-
    Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

14. shiram says:

So reasons for the Habs season failures…
    Injuries, lack of talent, lack of depth, coaching choices, lack of grit and lack of consistency…

I honestly wish I could say it was due to any of those, but in fact the blame rests solely on my shoulder.
    I’ve been growing a playoff beard since before the season started, and it obviously jinxed the whole team.

15. Phil C says:

Looking at the CSS final rankings, a find it very nice that Grigorenko, Forsberg, and Galchenyuk will all be available if Montreal drafts 3rd, and two of them will be available if they draft 4th. Timmins will likely have his choice of centre.

16. FanCritic says:

IMO: Two reasons why the Habs didn’t make the playoffs this year and no it wasn’t because of injuries. every team that made the playoffs all had injuries. the number one reason, they didn’t show up every game and number two. we didn’t have enough talent.
    Hard work is what get’s you there, and when you don’t show up every game it’s not happening. when you don’t have enough talent it’s not happening. a combo of hard work and talent a team will be successful.
    Hard work may get you there, but it’s talent that will put you over the top. Because of those two things, I’m picking Pittsburgh for the cup. Have a nice summer everyone.

17. New says:

You guys all think Gomez was really suffering an upper body injury! Ever wonder if he was taking french immersion and is in the running for GM? And he plans to hire Huet as the coach.

18. jo_maka says:

We all have some educated guess about what should be done next season, more or less.

But if there is only one suggestion from me that I’d like management to really ponder on it’s this:

I want ice girls. Hot ice girls. The kind that get the boys fired up when they play. As asinine as that may sound, I always find that I play better when I can locate a hot girl in sight. Just the dog in me I guess, I ain’t ashamed to tell ya. Give less workload to Youpp!. Stay classy but insanely hot classy. Bec-O-Cam can stay if you insist but the TamTam nonsense has to go the Gomez way.

Thank you for understanding. Now on to the post mortem.
    _________________________________
    Open-mindedness is not a skull fracture

• shiram says:

That’s change I can support.

• habstrinifan says:

I see you are a Matts Sundin type of player eh.

• jo_maka says:

More of a Ryan Miller, and I’m not even a goalie :)

But why split hairs ? I’ll take Sundin type and Zetterberg too.
        _________________________________
        Open-mindedness is not a skull fracture

• habstrinifan says:

Don’t know if you remember Sundin having a breakaway (can’t remember if was an open net)… and he missed the net altogether.

He said that just as he was about to shoot he caught glimpse of a pretty girl up in the stands and couldnt help but look at here.

Was funny!

• jo_maka says:

Setoguchi should’ve used that one for his shootout blunder :)

Because of the topic, I guess I specifically took your comment as being related to what he had in his arms when our boys ruined his night this season.
            _________________________________
            Open-mindedness is not a skull fracture

As for Price. He is an RFA this summer albeit arbitration eligible. Halak got 3.75 per in the same position. Halak had better numbers back then than Price has and has gone deeper in the NHL play-offs. Why then should Price get more than Halak got? If an arbitrator reads Chris’ break down of Price’s performance this years Price would be lucky to get more than 3.5 million.

I figure 4-4.5 million for 3-4 years should be good enough. As stated before if some team puts an offer sheet to Price for 7 million or more the Habs should take the compensatory picks and start drafting goalies.

• shiram says:

I like Price and think the Habs can build with him in nets, but if some fool GM offers Price 7 millions, you take the picks and you run.

• Storm Man says:

And miss the playoffs for 3 plus more years? You should GM the leafs

• Fan Of The Game says:

An Offer Sheet is a Declaration of War and depending on the contract offer, the compensation is high. The Habs would always match, then the team that made the Offer Sheet could expect their RFAs to also experience reciprocal treatment for several years after. Another unknown is whether or not GM gang warfare would arise against the GM that would put in the Offer Sheet

Last year the compensation was as follows

The criteria for RFA draft pick compensation in 2011-12.

•$1,034,249 annual cap hit or less: No compensation
      •$1,034,249 — $1,567,043: Third-round pick
      •$1,567,043 — $3,134,088: Second-round pick
      •$3,134,088 — $4,701,131: First and third-round pick
      •$4,701,131 — $6,268,175: First, second and third-round pick
      •$6,268,175 — $7,835,219: Two first-round picks, a second and third
      •$7,835,219 and higher: Four first-round picks

• K-hab25 says:

Halak’s on ice accomplishments at 25, are no where near Prices. Three all star appearances in 4 years as the #1. Halak 0 appearances and 0 years as a #1. Price has 8 playoff wins with 2 SO’s, Halak 9 playoff wins with 0 SO’s. Price has started 263 games, 126 W’s, 2.56 GAA and a .916 sv%. Halak at 25, had started 96 games, 56 wins, 2.51 gaa and a .919 sv%. If in your eyes Halak had accomplished more at 25, then you’re alot dumber than I thought you were or you’re just battling tony for king troll of HIO.

• English is not a Crime says:

Bullshit. Halak’s performance that year was nothing CLOSE to Roy. His numbers in that oh so magical year that you seem to misremember were much worse than Price’s numbers were in last year’s playoffs. I guess you missed that part while you were staring dreamily at your Halak poster and making stuff up to suit your cause as usual?

20. CalgaryHab says:

Carey Price is the foundation this team needs to build on. All goalies have their quirks and Carey is no different – his willingness to express his individuality should be embraced (especially in Quebec!). He has developed and matured greatly and will continue to develop into one of the best assets this league will have in the next decade. The crime when we jettisoned Halak was that we didn’t get the value we should have – even if Eller exceeds expectations.

21. mark_ID says:

Who on here uses twitter??

And if so, has anyone wrote to Molson and told him their thoughts on Gomez and being on this team next year as a fan?

I’m not on twitter myself, but i would love to tell him my opinion as a fan for 27 years…..that I would have a really hard time supporting his decision to not use that money on truly improving this team.
    Even if it means jacking up beer prices $2, I’m sure the fans could live with that if it means getting more depth with that 7.3mil in cap space.

If he wants to win fans back after this crap season, I think that would be a amazing start.

“Step off George”

• Un Canadien errant says:

Figures showed that the Canadiens brought in 44 million in revenue last year. There is ample room to absorb Mr. Gomez’ 5 and 4 million dollar salary in the next two seasons.

Geoff Molson has been clear in his recent press conference that no efforts would be spared to make this team a winner, a clear indication of what awaits Mr. Gomez.

Mr. Molson has been vilified by some on this site as a beer salesman only concerned about the bottom line, but what is clear is that he showed prudence and patience early in his reign with a management team that was getting results, until it stopped doing so, at which point he acted. He’s sought advice and hired a great former Hab to help him build the best organization, the perfect anti-thesis to George Steinbrenner and Jerry Jones. He has earned the benefit of a half-dozen doubts from Canadiens’ fans.

22. Habsrule1 says:

Price will get a long term deal. Haters go find another team to cheer for.

Go Habs Go!!

23. Adidess says:

@UCE
    I’m on IPhone, so can’t reply directly to posts.

What a gem of a post (the one at 10:30 on Crosby/Malkin, playoff officiating, and the agenda of many in the media)!

I concur with every word, which, believe me, isn’t the main reason i like it so much. It’s the excellent prose of course, but also the crescendo of passion behind the argument. Magistral! You help make it a pleasure to come to this site.

And now for some serious side boobage.

25. frontenac1 says:

After the game Sat. he said he wished to stay with the organization.I think it would be a huge mistake to lose a man like RC. I was asking if posters thought Player Developement would be a good role for him to take on.

26. Deano says:

I am so glad the DD to World Championship nonsense is not being proposed on this forum. I hear it far too much on the radio and it is beyond comprehension.

There are at least 11 centers better than DD on the non-playoff teams who are better. Luckily, the Team Canada brass are smarter (or less invested) than too many people in the Montreal Sports Media.

27. habstrinifan says:

Geez! What’s with the Price bashing?

• Deano says:

Agree … he is the real deal. You don’t lose over 440 man-games to injury and still challenge.

Maybe they believe they can influence the contract negotiations.

;)

• mb says:

What else is new?

• smiler2729 says:

Lots of Maurice Ronalds in here, that’s nothing new. You say black, they say white, or they’re in love with seeing their comments on a computer screen, who knows?

__________________________________
      Jack Edwards is a clam, Bruins are pukes.
      Brian Burke is a whining blowhard, Laffs are turds.

28. frontenac1 says:

Cunneyworth had great success in Rochester and Hamilton.Also it appeared that he worked great with the kids this year and handled the fiasco handed to him by management calm resolve and class.He stated that he wished to stay with the organization and I beieve he has earned it.Director of Player Developement?

29. Clutch10 says:

Wow Scott Gomez’s comments on 990 just stfu and gtfo.

30. Shane1313 says:

Ahhh, that’s good stuff

**Look at that Carey Price shutout in game 7 to knock off the Bums eh!

31. shiram says:

Oh noes, Carey Price wears fashionable cowboy clothes!!
    So season’s over then?
    Todd’s piece, I started reading it without having noticed who wrote it, shortly after starting reading it, I knew it was a waste of my time.

Plans for next season? Well seeing the shallow FA pool, that it is unlikely the draft pick making the bigs top lines and trades a realm of unknown, the new coach will have to entertain splitting up DD’s line.
    But they were so good, you might say. Yeah they played good, but the team was not good overall, and Habs need to have more than one line that can threathen in the opponents zone.

So yea, hope everyone had a good Easter.

• mb says:

No no no.

Plans for next season: get Price a new wardrobe. That’s all we need to hoist the Cup, didn’t you know that yet?
      No need for more goals and better defense, just get the guy some new clothes and we’re all set.

• Shane1313 says:

Lol, I thought whe he came out like that….brilliant stuff.
      This kid is special, he’s sticking to his own and embracing everything here. I love Carey

32. mb says:

lol Markov…
    Reporter” “Can you talk about PK’s evolution this year?”
    Markov: “Next question”
    Reporter: “You don’t wanna talk about it?”
    Markov: “No.”

Hehe, short and simple answers, as always! :)

33. Un Canadien errant says:

To administrators-moderators of HIO:

Is there an automatic feature that prevents replies to comments on one’s posts? Because I’m trying to respond to such comments and my posts disappear. Kind of makes it hard to have a conversation.

I understand if you’re trying to avert flame wars such as I’ve seen on here (…and might have participated in once or thrice…), but maybe there’s a better way of achieving this?

34. Malreg says:

According to Renaud Lavoie, PK, Plekanec, and Eller are going to the World Championships..

Markov was not invited for Russia.

35. Old Bald Bird says:

I was probably dreaming, but at the end of the game, they showed Molson and RC shaking hands. I thought CBC said that Molson was going to send RC and his family anywhere in the world for a vacation. But I’ve read no mention of it anywhere else, including Stubbs’ article on RC. Was I just dreaming, or were they saying that Molson should do this, not that he was going to?

• habstrinifan says:

Would be a nice gesture and is probably true.

• Chuck says:

Yes, that exactly what they said: that as a thank you, Molson was to personally send Randy and his family, all expenses paid, on the vacation for their choice anywhere in the world.

___________________________________________________

36. RGM says:

Plekanec and Eller also going to the Worlds.

———————–
    GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
    “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

37. RGM says:

Gotta love the Montreal media live-tweeting the end-of-season scrums.

PK going to the Worlds.

———————–
    GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
    “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

38. Adidess says:

RDS just announced Subby is going to the World championship. I think that’s good news…

39. bleublancrouge says:

Oh Jack Todd your comments on Carey Price make me wonder if you actually watch the Habs… Price benefited from the best pk in the league? Your goalie is your best penalty killer… anyone half way knowledgable about hockey understands this I’d comment on the rest but it’s clearly not worth the time. Here’s to the new gm and hopefully a fresh writer for the gazette sports section

40. mb says:

PK Subban confirms he’s going to the Worlds. It will be nice to watch him play!

• habstrinifan says:

Yep! Bigger ice surface…freewheeling… should I am sure P.K also brings some ‘eyes’ to the screen. TNS(assume they have the rights) should like this.

• mb says:

Oh you mean the same TSN people who keep hating on him during the regular season? ;) I’m sure they will like it though, when it ocmes to the Worlds… more viewing! How fast does one change their mind sometimes.

• Hobie Hansen says:

All I heard on TSN was that he’s one of the best young defensemen in the league and Montreal would be out of their minds if they even thought about trading him?

41. Chrisadiens says:

So Carey Price might get his knee scoped, has a concussion, and a neck injury. According to John Lu. I really hope he stays away from the rodeo this summer.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

42. Un Canadien errant says:

We often talk at cross-purposes on the Tomas Kaberle deal. Supporters mention his points per game pace, and the low price paid to acquire his services. They mention how everyone wanted Jaroslav Spacek gone anyway, and how he would have walked away for free in July, or traded away for very little at the trade deadline.

Opponents don’t really care about these points. What ticks them off is the acquisition of an overpaid player who has two more years left on a contract while his skills are in steep decline. They mention the lack of defensive skill or involvement, his lack of strength which not only makes him lose puck battles, but avoid them altogether. Another big beef is the lack of energy, joy and passion demonstrated by him, how he floats seemingly unaffected through losses and scoreless streaks.

So we should almost table the subject. No camp is willing to acknowledge the other’s points. It’s as unproductive a discussion as some of those in the political arena where the positions are so hardened that the same bombs are lobbed at each other with no effect, since both sides have heard and ignored them for years.

Tomas Kaberle is a polarizing figure on the team and forces us to agree to disagree. It’s on the to-do list of the next GM. Let’s drop the baby in Solomon’s lap, as it were. Let’s agree to abide by his word.

• HabFab says:

Very intelligent post!
      Good luck with that ;)

Wisdom is how well you apply the knowledge you have learned…my father.

• RGM says:

I will only agree to abide that word if the word is that Kaberle is gone.

———————–
      GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
      “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

• christophor says:

Thomas Kaberle is dividing the nation!

Jokes aside, you’re right. As long as he keeps a .4 or so points-per-game pace, many will think he’s not the problem; a good, but overpaid, depth 5v5 and PP guy.

His seemingly carefree attitude and lack of smashing-faces-ness will forever put him in the junkpile of many here.

Edit– an interesting add-on to your post is this: how the new GM deals with TK will say loads about what we can expect his approach to be.

• habstrinifan says:

I agree! You sir have shown me that there two sides to every story and no one is really right.

So I shall dump on Craperle no more!

OOOPS!

• jmsheehy19 says:

I know this is isn’t going to help drop it UCE, but here’s my issue with the Kaberle… Uhhh issue.

My only disagreement with your post overall is the terms “Supporters” and “Opponents.”

Ive been one of the voices against the Kaberle hate, stress on the word “hate,” using the statistics you mention. But I was actually against the trade when it happened and still think it was the wrong move. I can’t speak for the others, but I’m far more of a “defender” than a “supporter.”

That’s the main reason I can’t see eye to eye with many of his detractors, who can be more accurately labeled as “attackers” rather than “opponents.”

While I agree it was the wrong move, I can see the reasoning behind it. And using stats, you can see that he’s a useful depth option. He produces well, but he is overpaid (though not to degree here seem to think). His defensive side of the game leaves much to be desired, but at the same time he isn’t the horrific catastrophe others have made him out to be.

That’s the main issue I have with his detractors, is that many (not all) are so blinded by their own hyperbole that they fail to see Kaberle for what he is; a bottom pairing guy who produces roughly .5 ppg with a slightly overvalued contract.

• Un Canadien errant says:

You’re quite right that there doesn’t seem to be a middle ground. The fact that he is a former Leaf and Bruin plays into that I think.

I understood Mr. Gauthier’s reasoning in acquiring him, he was quite cogent on his arguments, and he took care to explain that he was trying to help the guys, he felt they looked down coming back to the bench after squandering another power play opportunity. So I understood, but strongly disagreed with the move.

It’s like if you go to the plate and your team is down a run, you have the bases loaded, two outs, what you really need to do is make contact and put the ball in play. If instead you unleash and swing for the fences, you’d better understand that you’ll be the hero if you connect and it works, but get the blame if you pop out or strike out. Mr. Gauthier went to the plate and let ‘er rip, and popped out. Dumb move.

43. Fan Of The Game says:

To those wondering about Carey Price sporting a cowboy hat Saturday night, that was done as a precaution towards aggravating concussions symptoms. Bright lights and flashes in some cases can cause an increase in symptoms or problems that could prolong the rehab period. Concussion victims are always told to somehow avoid bright sunlight-flashes-video games…Price was courageous (???) just to show up.

44. Un Canadien errant says:

Great article by Cathal Kelly on the hatchet job being perpetrated against Sidney Crosby.

The Penguins have been identified as a threat to win it all by the ‘muck and grind posse’ in the media, which is seemingly dominated by former Flyers and Bruins. These guys have an agenda to maximize the chances of their former teams to win the Stanley Cup, and also to justify the ‘style’ of hockey that they played when they were active in the league. So the Penguins, led by players such as Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin and Kris Letang, skilled scorers and skaters who play a spectacular, fan-friendly brand of hockey, must be vilified as not playing the right way, like Terry O’Reilly or Moose Dupont used to. So now somehow, we’re supposed to believe that Mr. Malkin and Mr. Crosby are villains, instead of the league’s poster boys, as they rightfully should be.

It’s a smear job similar to that against the Canucks last year, when they were dubbed ‘The Most Hated Team in Hockey’ and also branded as divers and whiners. This enabled the Bruins to spear and crosscheck and mug them down to their level and eke out a win, and the refs to overlook even more infractions from the dark-jerseyed and black-hearted Bruins than they normally would have. The table had been set for an institutionally-condoned bias against the Canucks, epitomized by the disparity in punishment received by Aaron Rome and Johnny Boychuk for the season-ending hits they delivered. Mr. Rome knocked Nathan Horton out of the series with an almost borderline late but clean hit, one that was reminiscent of the hits that put Scott Stevens in the Hall of Fame, but which resulted in a suspension for the rest of the playoffs for the perpetrator. Meanwhile, Johnny Boychuk interfered with Mason Raymond and drove him bent over into the boards, breaking his back, with all this occurring with the puck nowhere near and Mr. Raymond never having possession of it. Mr. Boychuk skated way scot-free, and Mason Raymond was helped off the ice to the jeers of the Boston crowd, and wasn’t ready to return to action until mid-way through this season.

We see the hypocrisy in the criticism directed at Sidney Crosby for attempting to give as good as he gets, with Neanderthals like Don Cherry trumpeting that this justifies the treatment he is getting and will surely receive during the playoffs. So really Sidney should turn the other cheek and be a pacifist, like Daniel Sedin did in last year’s playoffs when he was being bolo-punched by the reprehensible creep Brad Marchand. We all remember how the media lionized Daniel Sedin for his patience and courage and strength of character, and how the league and its officials rushed to the aid of an NHL scoring champion, pillar of a community and true gentleman.

I’ll empower myself to speak on behalf of Mr. Malkin and Crosby, and make a deal with Flyer assistant coach Craig Berube, he of the 1000 game, 60 goal, 3000 penalty minute career: if his guys don’t crosscheck or facewash or rabbit punch or spear or headlock or slash or chirp them constantly after the whistle sounds, neither will the Penguins stars. How’s that for a deal? Let’s really ‘let them play’, as in, let the talented players play, instead of letting the no-talent pluggers hang on for dear life to the stars and clutch and slash them down to their level, as that expression has come to mean. Let’s let Evgeni Malkin swoop into the opposition zone without a Flyer trailing a full stride behind, slashing away just below the ridiculous threshold that needs to be met before a ref finds the whistle in his zippered pocket, knocks the cobwebs and lint off it and actually calls a penalty. Let’s let the stars play, as the NFL and the NBA and Rugby Union do, by allowing the stars who bring us out of our seats to flourish, instead of favouring the Mike Houghs and the Dwight Fosters of this world.

Somehow I suspect Mr. Berube won’t agree to my deal.

• LafleurGuy says:

Right on and good mornin’! You are deservedly highly respected on this site so thanks for speaking out against the arbitrary vilification of a great player like Crosby. The Kid never ended another player’s career! The idiots and the King of Idiots didn’t say anything critical of Chara when he was at the LEAST reckless. So Crosby deserves negative press and Chara, Recchi, Ference, Boychuck, Campbell (for using his elbow pad to cut up Tom Pyatt), and other cheats don’t? There was such harsh criticism of Matt Cooke that it resulted in this player voicing a mea culpa. Lead to the term “predatory hits.” He’s still on the Penguins. That team does not get favorable treatment. Anyone see the video of Mike Richards plastering Logan Couture from behind?
      That fruit Cherry chose instead to dump on Crosby for non-violence issues and this phony hypocrite who went on air years ago as an insincere supporter of the “STOP” program to abolish hitting from behind in youth hockey said nothing about that hit. If I were a moron, I’d be ten times smarter than Don Cherry, or at least I would support his views.
      “May you live in interesting times.”

Great post Normand, if you don’t mind, I read that like a sermon being preached by a Southern Baptist Fire and Brimstone throwing Preacher. It read great that way! :)

• Un Canadien errant says:

Yeah, I donned my columnist hat there, instead of my usual sober as a judge observer-reporter style.

I do wish I could do a good Southern accent, or any accent for that matter. All I can manage is a slip back into a Québécois patter when I have too much to drink.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Thanks HiB, I donned my columnist hat for this one, instead of my sober as a judge observer-reporter chapeau.

I would love to be able to do the Southern preacher voice/accent, or any accent for that matter. Best I can do is a mild Québécois when I’m drunker than I should be.

• Shane1313 says:

Brilliant post

• Fan Of The Game says:

There is little doubt that Crosby is a great player. That being said, he is often given a BIG FREE PASS for some of the garbage he dishes out. Besides his constant yapping and whining, he is far from lily white concerning his own Cheap Shots which opposing players will pay back

Here are just a sample few:

Crosby dirty Slew Foot on Ryan Callahan

Crosby being a 3rd man in a fight and punching away

Crosby cross checks and elbow to the head of Nick Foligno

As for his diving, there is not enough space here to post all the video links. His dives usually cause penalties and riles up the other team. As for his yapping towards other players and referees, again a simple google search will keep you busy for hours looking at the clips.

He better clean up his act because one day in some far off arena when the score is out of hand and he pulled some of his crap during a game to make a player look bad, the payback might not be so nice.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I’m not saying that Sidney Crosby isn’t a chippy player who pushes the boundaries, but I contend that he’s adapting to the tactics prevalent in the modern game. I also contend that if all the garbage was taken out of the game and skill was showcased in the NHL, he would not only survive but thrive, as opposed to the majority of those who slash and crosscheck him.

As I’ve stated, playing the peace card has earned the Sedins abuse over their career, so Sidney wouldn’t be any further along in the mind of the Bruins-centric media if he was a candidate for the Lady Bing.

• Fan Of The Game says:

Comparing the Sedins and Crosby is apples and oranges. The Sedins are today’s answer to Mike Bossy-an outright pacifist and refusal to fight. The difference was that Bossy had mates such as Clark Gillies, Gary Howatt and Bobby Nystrom-heck even Billy Smith to take care of business. Last year, the Canucks had no one to push back at even a little runt such as Marchand-hence, the trade for Kassian this year.

Then in years past, you had guys such as Guy Lafleur or Jacques Lemaire that took beatings from teams like the Bruins and Flyers-much worse than ANYTHING Crosby has ever experienced, and they shut their mouths and found a way to play through it and win Cups.

As mentioned, Crosby is a great player and perhaps will go down as one of the best ever when all is said and done, yet in the mean time, his yapping, diving, faking, and cheap shots will not go unnoticed and unpaid.

Crosby has a decision to make. Either back off and let some others take care of business, or continue on and expect some payback but PLEASE stop with the all the time whining when getting hit.

• habstrinifan says:

Milbury is saying something about skirts and guys with names like Cathal.

Not me… Milbury.

• New says:

Yeah, I seem to recall it happens every year. Anything for an edge and to take the focus off your guys while stressing the others. Planned and the media and fans buy it everytime. That’s why it’s so bizarre in the playoffs to see a coach dumping on his own players…shows he’s lost it and can’t handle the stress. Gone totally off the plan.

• jedimyrmidon says:

Very nice post. Wish you could post this elsewhere where all fans of hockey could see this.

It’s true that Crosby needs to keep the retaliation/”cheap” shots back (“cheap” being used in a VEERY relative sense [see Marchand, Bard]). But, for some reason, Cherry, the Rangers and the Flyers are all lining up to publicly criticize him and Malkin. Malkin? He doesn’t have a reputation of being whiny or cheap or anything: that’s what tells me that whatever is said is just to make the refs more aware of these two players.

45. RGM says:

Per Bob McKenzie’s twitter:
    Final NHL CSB rankings: 1. Yakupov 2. Murray 3. Grigorenko 4. Galchenyuk 5. Rielly 6. Ceci 7. Faksa 8. Maatta 9. Trouba 10. Reinhart

———————–
    GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
    “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

46. Maksimir says:

Optimism

I don’t know if this commenter is still around – but for some reason I copied his predictions made in Aug 2011 for the this past season and put it in my calendar… here’s what it was (not picking on him):

naweed235
    AUGUST 24, 2011 2:10 PM AT 2:10 PM
    here’s my kool-aid Prediction on this upcoming season:

Cammi – 40 G 25 A
    Subban – 18 G 30 A
    Emelin – 8 G 16 A
    Georges – 4 G 15A
    Gill – 3 G 8 A
    Spacek – 7 G 15 A
    Webber – 8 G 10 A
    We will finish this regular season with 102 pts good for a 2nd spot finish in the East.
    Cheers to that!

• Un Canadien errant says:

Interesting. Always love to come back and go over pre-season predictions. Also like going over draft coverage. TSN this year should look back to their predictions from 5-8 years ago and see which highly touted player flopped and which discounted player blossomed. Keeps the experts humble.

Can you give us a total of how many goals that would have represented for the team? I suspect you have this in Excel format and can do a quick sum. For comparison purposes, the Canadiens scored 212 goals this season.

• GrimJim says:

294 goals, if I typed it into the calculator right…

• habstrinifan says:

Think i counted 299… but in the ballpark. too optimistic.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Thanks for doing the math boys, I didn’t even try. Figured Maksimir might have a ready answer.

So off by about a goal a game. Huge difference. Not to cast aspersions, I would have probably predicted kind of the same.

We should always work into our predictions a buffer, where we predict that two forwards and a defenceman will have an off year due to injuries or other reasons. Kind of like a 10% reserve built in to a reno budget.

47. jon514 says:

So if Lindy Ruff is available this off-season we have got to hire the guy right? French speaking be damned, I want to win!

48. L Elle says:

Happy Easter friends (you know who you are) ;)

So I open HIO this morning, and again we’re talking about Price, but not “softies” and the other usual BS – we’re talking about his clothes?

When did a bunch of straight hockey-loving men become fashionistas? I thought y’all were hockey experts? GMs and coaches in the making. lol

So someone who wears a sari, or kilt or turban is a flake?

Oh yeah almost forgot, eff Jack Todd.

Haha, always the straight shooter L :)

• Storm Man says:

I would enjoy to see what manapart and HH and some other’s wear I think we would have outback fashionistas.

• boing007 says:

Perhaps you don’t know that Elle is the name of a French fashion magazine, L Elle.

Richard R

• Clay says:

I happen to have better fashion sense than the ‘Queer Eye” guys, and I’m straight. But why do hockey loving men have to be straight? ;)
      I’m not saying at all that ‘someone who wears a sari, or kilt or turban is a flake. People have a right to wear their (emphasis: THEIR) cultures traditional clothes without judgement. And other cultures ones on dress-up night. I’m fairly certain about Price’s heritage. Cowboy clothes are very inappropriate. One might even say an insult to HIS culture, if one looked at the history.
      I think he’s an OK goalie though – nothing to do with that.

__________________________
      ☞ Wow, that’s a nice lookin’ pair of Crocs!” Said no one ever.☜

• L Elle says:

So Clay, Price should grow his hair, wear a feather headband and a loincloth, and paint his face?

I think that is the stereotype right there. His father is white(don’t know how to be PC about this word). He owns both cultures, and has the right to be himself.

Why are we even talking about this?

And he’s much much more than an OK goalie.

• Un Canadien errant says:

‘Of European descent’ should serve nicely.

• L Elle says:

Thanks UCe.

I’m of European descent born in Africa. Sounds exotic. :)

• habstrinifan says:

How about ayran… wait maybe not.

How about caucasian.

How about … well i better stop before I get banned.

L, you just don’t get it, Price is the reason for all the Habs woes! When they lose in shootouts without scoring a goal it’s his fault. When they lose a game in which the Habs score only 1 or 2 goals its his fault.

The fact that Diaz, Weber, St. Denis, Kaberle were counted on to play starting defencemen is irrelevant. The fact that this team counted on a 2nd year dman to play the most minutes behind Price is actually Carey’s fault. The fact that the GM was a wingnut making ridiculous moves throughout the season is Carey’s fault.

This team has so many weaknesses of which goaltending is quite far down that list, yet people here still have blame Carey.

Cue the Pricebot intelligent responses.

• L Elle says:

^This. But it gets tiresome eh Burly?

• HabFab says:

Finally he gets it, trade all the bums, fire all management people and close operations until such time as they can guarantee the Stanley Cup.

PS. And Bettman and his co-conspirators are all gone!

PPS. Where in blazes is that sarcastic font key everyone talks about?

• Un Canadien errant says:

It’s also simplistic to restrict one’s culture to one’s own heredity. One of the things I love about Montréal, for example, is seeing groups of beautiful, young, vibrant girls and boys fresh out of high school prowling Ste-Catherine or St-Laurent jabbering with each other in perfect English and Québécois patois, regardless of the colour of their skin or ethnic origin. It’s a perfect illustration of ‘hybrid vigour’ that William Gibson describes in his novels.

If Carey identifies to the cowboy rural ethos due to his upbringing and the milieu he was born in, let him. He’s actually walking the walk, he ranches and rodeos, he’s not a caricature. He’s no more ridiculous than the Nevin Markwarts of this world with their 30-year old hockey hair or ‘fly for a white guy’ characters we see in the NBA or playing centre for the Dallas Stars.

• habstrinifan says:

WOW Clay you are getting way too deep here.

• smiler2729 says:

He’s from 11 hours north of Vancouver in cowboy country, what’s the problem?

__________________________________
        Jack Edwards is a clam, Bruins are pukes.
        Brian Burke is a whining blowhard, Laffs are turds.

49. Storm Man says:

So the next GM is going to be a face guy as the SS Ego will be calling the shot’s..

Not normally a big fan of Damien Cox of the Toronto Star, but here is a pretty good article regarding the Draft Lottery.

Interesting that TSN ended up getting the Philly/Pittsburgh TV rights in Canada.

I think CBC gets to pick two series then TSN picks one (pretty sure that is how it works), so CBC had to pick both Canadian teams series, yet I think the Pitt/Philly series will be the series most Canadians follow closer. Just my thought at least.

• Lawrencetown Liquor Pigs says:

Not going to look it up, but I think TSN get’s first pick, then CBC gets two. How TSN grabbed MTL series the last couple years if I recall correctly.

______________________________________________________
      Lost a bottle of Kraken during this debacle of a season. Better gettem next year.

• Malreg says:

CBC gets the first 2 picks, TSN gets picks 3, 5, 7, 8.

TSN managed to get Montreal the last few years because CBC always went with Vancouver and then I believe it was Ottawa/Pittsburgh last year.

Yah that is what I have read in the past also. Have to believe CBC was sitting there thinking we really want to pick Pitt/Philly but we will be roasted if we do. Kind of looks good on them.
          Plus this way with TSN picking up NBC’s coverage (I am assuming, maybe not) we get to listen to our future GM some more…..

• LafleurGuy says:

Can Cowan and Foligno back up Chris Neil is good subplot against Bruins. Whoops, um will watch highlights about whether Matt Hendricks and Jason Chimera will be enough grit for the Capitals against the thugs in Boston. Ottawa v. Rangers may be highlighted by Top Ten Poses by John Tortorella.

“May you live in interesting times.”

52. JF says:

I dismiss Jack Todd’s pieces more often than not, but his comments about Price are spot on. The Habs erred in bringing Price up too soon and making everyone, including Price himself, believe he was the saviour. No one questions Price’s natural ability, but doubts have been raised at times about his mental fortitude. He learned a hard lesson two years ago when Jaroslav Halak grabbed his job and he had to watch from the bench while Halak took the Habs to the Eastern Final. I think that was the first time Price realized how much hard work was required to reach one’s potential; he vowed that if he didn’t succeed, it wouldn’t be for lack of work. And he was a lot better the following year, but we have yet to see that will-to-win that stops everything and simply refuses to lose. He’s still pretty young, and he played too many games both this year and last. I hope Budaj plays more next year; he did well at the end of this season, and playing less would give Price a chance to really show that he’s capable of stealing games.

• LafleurGuy says:

Agree with much of what you say. I think what frustrates fans is the perception of weak effort (including conditioning and practice habits) and players playing below their potential. Is that how a lot of people and cats feel about Price? Halak (sorry for being the first today to use the H word today) couldn’t get the Blues into the playoffs last year, and that is easily overlooked by Dorval cats, and others.

A capologist can argue that the Habs got great value for the 2.75 mill they shelled out the last 2 seasons for the starting goalie slot. 30 yr. old Cam Ward pulls in 6.3 mill and 31 yr. old Ryan Miller got 6.25 mill,
      Carey and his agent will hold out for more than those figures.

Just read up on agent Gerry Johansson who works with The Sports Corporation whose stable of agents include Rich Winter, and whose stable of clients include Marian Hossa, Milan Lucic, and Ryan Getzlaf.
      When you see guys like Luke Schenn get 4.6 miil for his fourth year, and recall that Carey played his 4th and 5th seasons for 2.75 mill, I think negotiations are going to get acrimonious.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• Lawrencetown Liquor Pigs says:

I’m more afraid of this than anything else moving forward. Seems much of the hockey world, with the exception of many who post here, see PK, Price, Paciorretty, Gorges and a healthy Markov as extremely valuable pieces moving forward. But they’ll head for the hills having to put up with the garbage they do from fans and media if you throw in the added baggage of a long, drawn out, angry negotiation.

______________________________________________________

• LafleurGuy says:

Thinking of Stephane Richer, true he was traded but a young Richer probably welcomed the move to the defence-oriented New Jersey Devils where he won a second Stanley Cup, and achieved a second 50 goal season having had one with the Habs. He got very rough treatment by fans and media in Montreal. (We did receive Kirk Muller in that trade).

“May you live in interesting times.”

• Lafrich says:

Richer never scored 50 with NJ. Two times with the Habs.

• habstrinifan says:

Loved Richer. Personal issues exacerbated by that apparent darling of HIO Pat Burns haunted his entire career.

• kempie says:

All you are saying,
      Is give Price a chance.

• RGM says:

You clearly don’t know Carey Price at all. He has no saviour complex. He has always rejected the label of being “the next [insert Habs goaltending legend here]” and is quite content to just be Carey Price. It’s always a good laugh to see pop psychologists who think they know a person and what they believe about themselves, and how that always magically translates into the exact negative preconception the pop psychologist has of that person.

———————–
      GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
      “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

• JF says:

Of course Price has no saviour complex. But if he was told right from the start of his career that he had the ability to become a great goaltender, and if the Montreal media baptized him “Jesus Price,” how could he help being somewhat affected by it ? He admitted after the 2009-2010 season that he learned a lot sitting on the bench and watching Halak’s heroics; part of what he learned was to work harder and to be a better teammate. We no longer see him lifting his hands or eyeing a teammate sarcastically after the defence has broken down in front of him. Two years ago when he let in the soft OT winner against St. Louis and blamed his teammates, Markov told him, “Stop the puck.” Price said later he needed to have that said to him. By all accounts, he’s now one of the hardest-working guys in practice and thoroughly professional.

I’ve actually read quite a bit about Price. I think he could become a great goaltender.

53. habs03 says:

I never thought PG was as bad as the media/fans made him seem, but he should have been fired just for hiring Randy Cunneyworth, as nice as he is, the guy is just a horrible coach.

• Habfan10912 says:

Agree with you. Not to good with Cammy either. Poor management technique for sure.

• CF says:

Are you serious? Fired for hiring Cunneyworth? Anyone who knows anything about hockey realises his true weakness was the Kaberle deal. A team bound to finish outside of the top eight, picking up garbage salary from the exact type of player we didn’t need.

• Habfan10912 says:

It was the aftermath of hiring Cammy that was poor management. Imo

• LafleurGuy says:

A year earlier, Gauthier was thought to have shrewdly nabbed Wisniewski for a 2nd round pick. Spacek would not have yielded a 2nd round pick (debatable), and was a low price to pay to try to resuscitate a dormant power play.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• habstrinifan says:

In my book he was worse. Actually the french media was pretty kind to PG.

54. Cal says:

This season, 30 players scored 30 goals or more, or an average of 1 player per team. Only 6 players scored 82 points or more, or 1 for every 5 teams. The NHL assist leader got 67 assists in 82 games for an average of 0.817 APG.
    Big key to winning these days are the defence and goaltending.
    Habs scored 212 goals this year. That’s 4 less than last season. They allowed 226. That’s 17 more than last season. The “more offense needed” argument is valid, but the other pressing issue is defence. Goals against has to drop or the Habs won’t get a sniff of the playoffs.

Only 1 team in the East allowed less than 200 goals, and that’s the Rangers. The 3 teams in the West- in the order of most success defensively- St. Louis, LAK (yes, the LA Kings!!), and Vancouver.
    The Gooins had the best goal differential with a +67.
    The worst goal differential was the -60 Blue Jackets.

• habstrinifan says:

I agree wholeheartedly with your post. Just as last season, we enter the off-season with the need for a BIG STAY AT HOME DEFENSEMAN capable of many minutes and sound defense and better ability than Hal Gill. Any suggestion to bring back Hal Gill is knee-jerk GM’ing without putting in the time and effort to look at the player base to identify better candidates.

And the team MUST NOT repeat last year’s mistakes… including entering the season with a defense comprised of ‘soft’ mobility or bottom pairings. They must go out and get a defender of proven defensive skill and who is youtful and inexpensive.

Which is why I started skimming thru the current NHL data base.

The best candidate I got so far…

Scanning TSN data base A-B-C(so far).

Ideal so far:
      Sheldon Brookbank UFA this year. Made 750.00 last year with Anaheim. Look at his stats. His career. Look at his plus/minus. Look at his “resigned with team” record…

Then:
      Karl Alzner of Washington, but he is RFA for 2012-2013. Still may be relatively cheaply obtainable in a trade maybe.

Others of interest:

Matt Carkner… UFA MADE 700.000 LAST YEAR. ironically originally drafted by Montreal. Maybe injury prone.

John Carlson Washington Caps RFA made 850.000 last year.

It would be nice to know that our GM(staff) is doing a thorough search for a defenseman who is inexpensive reliable young relatively experienced and could be a mainstay on our defense for next 3 to 4 years. We do not need a supersta

Going thru this task shows me how easy it is for a GM to just go off the first name that pops into his head without doing extensive study of the whole data base to fit his specific need optimally.

Which is why we need a damn hard-working guy. We havent had one in a while.

• Viruk42 says:

Okay, I won’t disagree that defence is an issue…but…226 allowed. 5th *best* in the East. Florida, Washington, Ottawa and Philadelphia all made the playoffs with more goals allowed. 212 goals scored, 13th *worst* in the East. Preventing goals is all well and good, but you have to score to win:

Habs record:
      1 goal games: 11-10-16, .297, 30th in NHL
      2 goal games: 6-13-0, .316, 28th in NHL
      3+ goal games: 14-12-0, .538, 12th in NHL

That’s straight from nhl.com, but doesn’t mention anything regarding empty netters, so it’s tough to say how those play into things, but the fact that we were so poor in close games suggests to me that we needed to score more.

Here’s where I sort of agree with you:

GF/GA per period:
      1st: 66/60, 13th in NHL GF, 8th in NHL GA
      2nd: 74/67, 14th in NHL GF, 6th in NHL GA
      3rd: 65/83, 22nd in NHL GF, 22nd in NHL GA
      OT: 2/4, unimportant
      Shootouts: 13/21, 26th in shooting percentage, 21st in saves percentage.

We all knew the team blew a lot of leads and that it was crap in the shootout. Certainly the defence plays a part in giving up 83 third period goals, but is that a question of the players skill, their stamina, or the system? Or perhaps all three…

Price needs to watch Boogie Nights.

56. Curtis O Habs says:

Jack Todd has a pretty narrow minded view of why St. Louis and L.A. are in the playoff`s. I guess it is Cam Ward`s fault Carolina didn`t make the show?

57. habstrinifan says:

Copied this link from previous thread.

Kudos to Hardhabits for the original post.

It gives good insight re Bergevin from unnamed 3rd sources… presumably GM’s or similar.

Makes Bergevin look really good??

58. habstrinifan says:

So I read the Jack Todd piece, “GM faces many challenges”.

What’s your take re his take on Price. No Price and that other guy rants/tirades/comparisons pls. But is Todd telling it like it is re Price.

I am still making up my mind.

I find if I read Jack Todd I get angry and complain. So I just don’t read Jack Todd anymore.

Sorry can’t give you my take as a result, have a good day Trin!

• HardHabits says:

Pussy. How do you get past my comments then. ;-)

Don’t close your mind HiB. Read the enemy. Read the agent provocateur. Read the troll. Keep your friend’s close. Keep your enemies closer.

Todd’s article is spot on. Cue the every blind squirrel and broken clock comments.

People here are way too dismissive. Ad Hiominem arguments rule the optimists discourse.

Usually my mouse button just scrolls right past yours HH :)

Yah, I think I will keep instead with reading Jack Handy and his uplifiting quotes instead of Jack Todd.

Have a good day Dave.

• smiler2729 says:

Pussy?
          __________________________________
          Jack Edwards is a clam, Bruins are pukes.
          Brian Burke is a whining blowhard, Laffs are turds.

• HabFanSince72 says:

I read the piece the whole way through looking for that acorn. All I found was.

“Price was playing behind one of the best penalty-killing units in the NHL – which does wonders for a goalie’s stats”

Isn’t Price part of that penalty killing unit? The most important part?

“The Philadelphia Flyers defeat the Nashville Predators in six – and they riot in Vancouver, just because.”

A Montrealer making fun of Vancouver riots?

“You could yank any fan off St. Antoine St. on game night and find a better GM than Pierre Gauthier.”

No you couldn’t. You could however find a better novelist than Jack Todd.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Thanks Paul, that is confirmation of why I don’t need to ever read Jack Todd. Similar as to why I don’t need to read National Enquirer for news of the world. Sensationalistic writing seems to be his mantra.

• bleublancrouge says:

You know you want to bow down to Jack Todd’s undisputed hockey knowledge. 2 time all stars that carey mediocre teams are quite obviously unproven and should be traded! While we are at it lets get rid of max pac hes only scored more than 30 once in his career clearly an unproven forward.

I would change my name to bluewhitered but I don’t want to start a controversy

• Storm Man says:

His article is spot on? lol look who he picked to win the cup. I would like to know what he put’s kool-aid

• Habfan10912 says:

I read him Gerald. I don’t find him any more annoying them others here on HIO. There are many here that for whatever reason get their jollies off from creating controversey. Some I’ve noticed post nearly 24 hours a day in hopes that they can get into some name calling skirmish with others. I do enjoy other viewpoints as they concern my favorite team but I dispose the name calling banter often associated with disagreement.

Do you always have to be so polite and correct in things which you say James? You are a gentleman amongst children.

Hope you had a great Easter with the family.

• HardHabits says:

Todd is 100% correct concerning Price. Sacred Cow is an apt way of describing how he has been handled by the Gainey Regime.

• RGM says:

Interesting that people always have this notion of Price under Gainey. Y’know, considering that Gainey had a trade in place with Tampa Bay to send him to the Lightning for Lecavalier…a trade that was only vetoed at the highest level of the NHL because Tampa’s dysfunctional ownership pairing couldn’t agree on it.

———————–
        GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
        “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

• RGM says:

Todd has never been on board with the Habs drafting Carey Price. He wanted Anze Kopitar. He’s been taking it out on Price ever since. When he refers to Price supporters as “Kool Aid drinkers” that really says all you need to know about his perspective.

Did Price have an off-year? Yes, and he’ll be the first to admit that he didn’t have as many great nights as he did in 2010-11. But this idea that “When a goalie starts 65 games for you and wins 26, he’s part of the problem” he is allowing his existing bias to shine through as it overlooks a critical fact: in 21 of Price’s losses this past season, the Canadiens scored 1 or none. Now don’t get me wrong, I’d love it if Price took even half of those games on his own and had 15 shutouts on the season. But you’ve seen how porous the D has been on a few occasions this year, where all it takes is one guy (here’s looking at you Tomas Kaberle!) totally out of position and thus leaving someone all alone for a backdoor pass.

Conversely, in 14 games Price allowed 4 or more goals; only one of those was a win. That’s not great. On those nights he could surely have done more to help his team win games. The Calgary game in March kinda stands out (though, hell, he gave up 2 to Bourque in the October one) as a rough night for the goalie. But hockey’s a team game where the objective is to score more goals than your opponent, not get two and decide to let the opponent have their way with your young and inexperienced D corps for the final 20 minutes of the game. If Price flubs one at the 7 minute mark of the first period, there are 53 minutes left for one of 18 guys to get it back. How many times did the Habs score 0 goals this year? 7 or 8?

So while Price will be the first to admit that he’s got much to work on to take his game to that A+ level we all expect of him (and indeed, he has admitted as such), there’s plenty of fingers to go around pointing at this team. You can’t score the 2nd fewest goals in the Eastern Conference and expect to go to the post-season unless you’re limiting your opponent to 15 perimeter shots a game.

———————–
      GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
      “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

• habstrinifan says:

In the final analysis I think you are agreeing with Todd… if not as sensationally you are saying that our goaltending must improve next season not be replaced… just improve some.

And Carey is very very able to do that ..maybe he will do so playing behind a team going places and thus more motivated.

Way I see it anyways.

• RGM says:

No. Todd thinks that Price in Montreal is a mistake, and has always molded his argument around that. He perceives Price to be “part of the problem,” whereas I believe and always have that he is part of the solution to the Habs 20-year drought. Despite being Captain Pricebot, I am simply being fair in my assessment of his season and I do not have any illusions/delusions that Carey is perfect. I uttered quite a few “come on, Carey” statements (as in, “come on, you have to make that save, Carey” after the puck goes in) this year, but hey, every goalie has those.

In my eyes, Price is a necessary and valued part of this team moving forward. In Todd’s eyes, Price is an unfortunate and barely tolerated presence that the team is stuck with.

———————–
          GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
          “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

59. English is not a Crime says:

Food for thought with the very real possibility of a pending lockout on the horizon. The last time we lost a season due to a lockout, they used the previous year’s standings to weight a draft lottery for the following draft as well. This is how Pittsburgh got Crosby and Malkin both for having one bad year.

The timing of the Habs off season could well be a huge blessing in disguise if there is a lockout next year. That could result in the Habs earning themselves a pair of top 3 or 4 picks for one off season. That would be something to smile about in my opinion. Imagine winning both lotteries and scoring both Yakupov and MacKinnon? Ohhh that would sweet.

60. LafleurGuy says:

Liked the USA today article (10 things….). Wow, Devils closed out with six wins in a row, and didn’t know they have three 30 goal scorers. Interesting the reporter compared Blue’s David Backes to Keith Primeau.

Because of the poor showing of the Habs this season, there was reason to pay more attention to other teams. I now know more about the St. Louis Blues and Music City Predators (what an oxymoron!) than ever in my life. I now know Mike Milbury likes to pick fights with kids both 12 year old and Penguin varieties (what a moron!). I always knew Don Cherry shouted because his messages were weak (what a moron AND an oxymoron!).

“May you live in interesting times.”

61. Habfan10912 says:

Does Cunny get his papers today?

• Clay says:

It would be respectful to wait a few days at least…if PG was still running the show I would say yes, but….I hope they wait a little.

__________________________
      ☞ Wow, that’s a nice lookin’ pair of Crocs!” Said no one ever.☜

• LafleurGuy says:

Mornin’10912, and good afternoon Shanghai.
      Just like JM being deposed but not put out of the organization (I’m trying to avoid saying fired), hope there is a tactful way Randy Cunneyworth is handled. He merits another position in the organization. In this little hiatus for the team, there surprisingly is a calm feeling, and even some positive feeling especially if the team nails the first pick. I think they learned from the awkwardness of the timing of some of Gauthier’s in-season decisions.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• Clay says:

Good morning to you LafluerGuy (it’s evening here, BTW)! I agree – TACT is the word of the day…Cunny was put in a terrible position, and should be treated with the utmost respect no matter where he ends up.

__________________________
        ☞ Wow, that’s a nice lookin’ pair of Crocs!” Said no one ever.☜

• Habfan10912 says:

Morning Guy. I thought maybe they’d try to keep him as a potential assistant coach or Hamilton coach. Seems like a good hockey guy and he’ll end up on his feet for sure.

62. Clay says:

Why was Price dressed like that? Was there a masquerade party after the game or something? :roll:
    He may be an OK goalie, but he looks like a fool in that get-up if you ask me – which of course no one did.

__________________________
    ☞ Wow, that’s a nice lookin’ pair of Crocs!” Said no one ever.☜

• LafleurGuy says:

He looked cool! Personal taste. Wasn’t impressed by Chris Simon hairdo, or Scott Hartnell’s. If one is into symbolism, by wearing a black cowboy hat Carey is conveying that he’s a Bad Dude.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• habstrinifan says:

What’s wrong with his outfit? I like it. I like dressing in all black or denim blue and wearing a cowboy hat.

Cause I like the cowboy thing. Would love to return as Johnny Cash or Henry Fonda. Strangely I aint a John Wayne type or even Clint Eastwood,

The chain I wouldnt have the guts to pull off. But the rest including the red tie I am down with. Do cowboys say ‘down’.

And oh yeah… I get the ribbing and odd look when I do… maybe one reason is cause I am black.

I say way to go Price.

EDIT!… WAIT here. I just realised I made a whole goddam post on ‘outfits’… this is gonna be a long off-season.

• Clay says:

I have nothing against dressing all in black. I just think playing dress-up has its place. It’s not for grown-ups except on certain special occasions. Halloween, masquerade party, etc.
        Children, however, can do it anytime they please.
        And for the record, I love Clint Eastwood westerns. But I understand that they’re make-believe. It’s the same as if Price dressed up as Harry Potter to me. Not appropriate for an adult.

__________________________
        ☞ Wow, that’s a nice lookin’ pair of Crocs!” Said no one ever.☜

63. ths says:

I love Carey’s unique style but he needs to back it up with a bar brawl

Ooh Aah Habs on the war path

• Clay says:

How about a gunfight with Clint Eastwood? That’s backing it up!

__________________________
      ☞ Wow, that’s a nice lookin’ pair of Crocs!” Said no one ever.☜

• Habfan10912 says:

Pretty sure there is a gun clause in his contract. :)

That’s the disadvantage of playing for Canadian Club, the handgun clauses seem more prevalent. I am sure the Kostitsyn’s were able to get that clause removed down in Nashville and are packin’ heat. :)

Evil!!!

Evil is my new word. It’s one step up from ‘bad’ as in good.

It’s better than the dumb leafs truculence.

Example. The Habs will be evil next season. Did you see tha tpiece of evil Cole did to ———(insert leaf’s goalie name).

Man that Staubitz pounded some evil into _________ (insert bruin punk here).

• habstrinifan says:

You keep this up Clay and I’m gonna have to ask you to go get your guns padnah. LOL.

Put him on waivers then Shiloh, obviously all the smart GM’s will share your opinion and wouldn’t consider picking him up.

65. Hobie Hansen says:

I don’t think all goaltenders fall into a specific category. Price can be shakey on occassion and I sometimes get mad when he’s a bit lackadaisical an nonchalant.

But I am quite certain that if Price were behind a good team that was more than just an eighth place hopeful every year that we’d see what he’s really made of.

It doesn’t bother me that he’s not playing every game in the regular season on a crap team like it’s game seven overtime. He’ll step on the gas once we actually have a chance at something.

66. bleublancrouge says:

Right he hasn’t proven he is the real deal in any way… I guess that is why professionals around the league DON’T regard him as one of the best goalies in the league…

I would change my name to bluewhitered but I don’t want to start a controversy

67. English is not a Crime says:

Go to the site of the team you cheer for already. We’re all sick of your hate for the Habs and their players.

68. shiram says:

I don’t mind criticising the Habs, but he brings no basis for his criticism.

69. jedimyrmidon says:

Yeah, with Price being one of them. If you trade Price away for a bundle, are you going to get another franchise goalie in there? Probably not.

And if you’re gambling on a prospect/pick in that package becoming better than Price, well, that’s probably not going to happen and if it doesn’t you’re not better off than before AND you’ve disrupted the young core of Price, PK and Pacs.

70. shiram says:

I like Emelin as much as the next guy, but he has not proven to be a reliable top 4 pairing’s guy, hopefully he improves and fulfill this role for the Habs next season.
    Brendan is tougher to say, but he could be an important player in 5 years.

71. Chuck says:

Why would you not include a goaltender? Than position is kind of important, no?

___________________________________________________

72. sane hockey fan says:

Can we wait for Beaulieu and Gallagher to actually MAKE the NHL before naming them guys to build around?

73. Deano says:

Not sure why you need to limit the list to five … its seems rather arbitrary. The important concept is the one you have stressed:

You need youth to build on.

I would add that you also need a steady stream of youth. The salary cap requires that a significant portion of your team be cheap (but good). Look at all of the Cup winners since the lookout. They have a core of well paid, very strong veterans, and, most importantly, young, cheap talent that can compete.

74. christophor says:

1. Subban
    2. Patches
    3. Beaulieu
    4. Tinordi
    5. Plek
    6. Eller

With Plek taking primary PK/shutdown duties and Eller secondary, the Habs can go for a purely offensive centerman and plop them on one of the top two lines. I’m loving DD but I’m thinking he’s the one to go. Eller is, at worst, a very good 3rd line centerman, which a winning team needs, or at least could really use (Boland, Staal). Keeping Plek and Eller allows the Habs to upgrade offensively. Keeping DD, getting a purely offensive centerman in addition to him, and getting rid of Eller or Plek will make them more vulnerable defensively.

Plus, DD will maybe fetch more than Eller.

75. shiram says:

He specified skaters.

76. shiram says:

Yes, I would not say that’s proof of anything, regarding Price’s skillset.

For a reason I am sure :)

78. shiram says:

To make sure Price was not listed!