Canadiens rise a spot …. without playing

PricePaloosh
The Canadiens practice in Brossard on Tuesday – probably without Carey Price – in preparation for a visit by the Tampa Bay Lightning.
In Monday night action, the Edmonton Oilers lost.
That bumped the Canadiens up to 28th place in league standings.

The injury bug

Blunden making an impact

A vote for BriseBois as GM

Béliveau progressing

Pierre Durocher visits Bob Hartley

Milbury disses Crosby

List of Masterton nominees

Leafs lose truculence

1. frontenac1 says:

Thanks Habsrule! I will try my best as a rookie!

2. veryhabby says:

Brisebois was my #1, until I read up a tad on Bergivin. HE was a player, started off in Chicago in player personelle dept, then moved to assist coach, then assist GM. He was part of the team that built the cup winner in Chicago. And when that GM moved on, the new GM kept Bergevin as his assistant. So just shows how highly they think of him.

I think either of these guys would be a good move.

3. English is not a Crime says:

If they’re looking to use a former Hab that’s in jr hockey as a GM, I would tend to steer toward Mark Hunter long before I went with Roy. Hunter’s had an incredibly successfull 12 yr run with London and could be worth the gamble. Otherwise, I just hope they stay WELL away from the names people are throwing around like McGuire and Roy. That’s the last thing they need to get involved in.

4. frontenac1 says:

That is great news about Jean Beliveau.He came to Kingston a few years ago to sign autographs. My son got to shake his hand and chat. He still talks about it.It made a lasting impression!

5. Mr_MacDougall says:

Great news for Jean Beliveau, hope he is sitting in his seat at the Bell watching a much improved team next year.

6. frontenac1 says:

Thanks Ian,I think it would take more than a talk to get the Fronts out of the basement! I feel for Gilly as the coach!

7. adamkennelly says:

you don’t have to be an ex- player to be a great GM – baseball has long since gone to smart, well educated business people to run their teams. seriously – what does having played in the NHL 20 or 30 years ago have to do with managing a team – its ridiculous. Half these guys wouldn’t even make the teams they manage. Brisebois- with Roy as coach, surrounded by fantastic assistants….anyone who has been on Anti-Chambre is automatically DQed.

8. frontenac1 says:

Life long Hab fan and first time poster from Kingston Ont. Born and raised in rural Quebec and looking forward to being a part of the Best Habs Board in the world! Very excited with the Habs future!

If Molson picks Brisbois, it says a lot for his head as an owner! If on the other hand he selects Mcquire, Roy or another recycled name, he will be selecting from his heart trying to please the media and public. The head always wins in business everytime!!!

• smiler2729 says:

I have no problem with BriseBois as GM, hey if Stevie Y saw something in him then that says something right there eh.

Or Blair Mackasey or Trevor Timmins…

Roy as GM, no thanks, as coach, maybe… but he better NOT pull any of that hothead BS with Price or Subban that Tremblay pulled on him in ’95.

__________________________________
      Jack Edwards is a clam, Bruins are pukes.

• Cape Breton says:

The last I looked, Roy has won everywhere he went. What has Breezer ever won?

• Ian Cobb says:

Are you thinking you want a quitter for our GM.?

• Habsrule1 says:

Quitter Ian? Really? Come on. The man said something he regretted after being humiliated.

Ask any former Hab who played with Roy if they consider him a quitter. Don’t let 1 mistake define the man. He’s won wherever he went and has the fire and passion that this team needs in a coach.

Go Habs Go!!

• punkster says:

So did Gomez…until he came here.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• The Juice says:

Wrong on two counts:

1) Roy won when he was with the Habs and when he was elsewhere, hence, “everywhere he played”

2) Gomez only won in NJ, not in NY or MTL.

__________________________________________________________________________

“To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high!”

10. shiram says:

I’ve steered clear of the GM debate, mostly because there is no concise and precise list of potential candidate.
    But I’ve read up a bit on the subject, and I would pick a dark horse as my candidate, Trevor Timmins.

Seriousfan’s piece on GM’s might just have something to do with that.

• HardHabits says:

I touted Trevor Timmins ages ago. I would fully support such a decision.

• shiram says:

He’s not getting much press, but he could be a sleeper in this race, and I like his track record.
        Obviously he would be well versed on current and future NHL players.

• Storm Man says:

That is the kiss of death as you have touted Timmins safe to say he is off the list now. You also touted Halak as a ELITE goaltender a couple of weeks back as well…. I hope you saw the coach of the Blues talking on sportsnet when asked who was going to start in the playoffs and someone told him Halak had a great playoff run in Montreal 2 years ago. He said ” I know a goalie who is in the KHL who has a great playoff run as well. I don’t care what someone has done in the past”. Who have you touted to win the Vezina? So I know who won’t win it this year :).

• Ian Cobb says:

I for one have missed Robert Rice on HIO. He is a great researcher, writer and Hab’s fan! You have a wonderful gift my friend!

11. huge_polar_bear says:

I used to work with Julien when we were in cegep at a local Jean Coutu. If dedication and vision are on the list of prerequisites then let me just say that even at that age he kept telling me that he was going to work in the NHL, he had the path laid out law school first, then player agent etc. To his credit he put his mind to it and got it done.

I kick myself a little everyday that I lost touch with him after university.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Awesome info, thanks for sharing. He certainly seems to be a go-getter, not a slacker.

And again, makes Pierre McGuire look even less attractive, as the candidate who wants to be considered yet hasn’t been willing to put in the ground work.

———————————
      How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

12. HabFanSince72 says:

Yes, Boone’s article is very good.

I did, however, chuckle at:

“It hasn’t paid off (yet) in Toronto, but Brian Burke’s front-office staff includes former general managers…”

I love that “yet”.

Next year.

Just wait till next year.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

13. Thomas Le Fan says:

Is it time to go … Full Breezer?

14. nickster13 says:

Interesting piece on Brisebois. Im not sold though, the guy is 35 and has hardly any GM experience. I want a veteran who has some serious credentials(read=experience) to his name, or a reputation for knowing hockey and its players inside and out. Give me an assistant GM of a good team, or Dale Tallon or the like.

“I don’t wanna see Maurice tonight, I want the rocket!”

• Un Canadien errant says:

I don’t understand your “hardly any GM experience” comment, or at least I certainly don’t agree. You’ve read his resume. He’s had close to ten years in various posts in an NHL front office. That’s GM experience.

It’s like if you’re hiring a Fire Chief. You wouldn’t say of any Assistant Chiefs who apply that they don’t have any Fire Chief experience. They do. They’ve never held the title, but they’ve done the job to a great extent, and have proven themselves in holding their current position.

The only people we’ll find who have actual experience as an NHL GM are those who have failed at it and have been let go. Guys like Craig Button and John Ferguson Jr. I’d rather give the job to the young guy we’ve seen mature in-house, and who has continued to shine in another organization.

———————————
      How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

• huge_polar_bear says:

+1 agree completely… If you think about it, if the Habs hire someone with GM experience it just means that person failed in another organization.

Look to the future not the past.

15. Un Canadien errant says:

I want to rail against the paucity of information we receive from our sports ‘reporters’. Not that this is restricted to hockey or these fine folks who cover the Canadiens, but we were once again failed by them. We who are great consumers of the game and any information on our team, we were not told what was what. But as soon as the incumbent was let go, much like in the Mike Cammalleri situation and countless others before, the dirty laundry was aired out for all to see, but too late for anyone to have benefited from it.

Over the last two years, Pierre Gauthier’s track record was discussed on multiple platforms by many analysts, some of who decried it while others gave grudging approval. He was accused of shadowy transgressions and lack of availability for the media, but that’s as far as it went.

Now that he’s gone, we get the now infamous ‘cookie rationing’ story out of Ottawa. François Gagnon revealed that all the Canadiens players operated in fear and wouldn’t talk to journalists informally or in anything other than platitudes because they didn’t want to run afoul of Mr. Gauthier. He told an anecdote of two players he was chatting with when all of a sudden one shut up and walked away when he saw that Mr. Gauthier was approaching. Also, Mario Tremblay and Benoit Brunet now pipe up and state that the Canadiens dressing room will have a much lighter tone since most of the team couldn’t stand or hated Mr. Gauthier.

Isn’t this information something that should have been shared much earlier with the public?

Of course, some will jump in and state that if any reporters ‘broke’ this news in such specific, pointed terms, they would lose their access to the team and wouldn’t be trusted with any more info in the future. Which is exactly the issue: what is the point of the access if the information isn’t shared with us? What good does it do us? Why should I buy the Globe and Mail if I’m not being told the truth? Are the journalists in the press box for kicks, to partake in the spread? What is the point of sticking a microphone in a player’s face if the unspoken agreement is that they’ll be asked softball questions and respond with platitudes?

The best part of team sports was always the camaraderie, the way we shot the breeze before and after games and practices and road trips. I’ve often thought that this atmosphere would be severely hampered if there were a bunch of strangers walking around broadcasting what we said about the opponents or the girl in the yellow tank top in the stands, how that would be a big crimp in being a professional athlete. If it was up to me, and I was the NHL commissioner, I’d immediately make the dressing room off-limits to reporters, I’d give the boys a break and some privacy when they’re headed for the showers. Nothing is being gained by anyone from this post-game kabuki, let’s do away with it.

———————————
    How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

• RGM says:

People already refer to the atmosphere surrounding the Montreal Canadiens as a circus. Imagine how much worse it would potentially be if this incredibly damaging and damning talk of what life is like “on the inside” were being circulated on a daily basis. They’d be the Toronto Maple Leafs, who have an absolute joke of a PR and media relationship.

There is absolutely a need for more and better-quality information to be distributed. I can only venture the opinion that with the ultra-tight-lipped Gauthier regime removed from office, we will see a bit of a thaw in relations. Players will hopefully be less muzzled and more inclined to speak honestly and candidly, while still respecting locker room confidentiality. It’s not as though Josh Gorges is suddenly going to start saying, “Yeah we don’t really understand Mathieu Darche on the power play, but it’s the coach’s decision and we’re just going to roll with it.” They still respect each other and the club enough that we’re not going to be likely to receive more than platitudes with the occasional zinger.

What will benefit the team most from a new face of the organization will be increased access. I don’t think a daily scrum (a la Burkie) between the new GM and the media throng is required – maybe a weekly 30-45 minute session. They can discuss what’s happened in the past week and how it fits in with the grand scheme of things. The thing with even that type of frequency is that you can get into muddling tactics with strategy, and reacting to things on a week-to-week basis that should be month-to-month or even year-to-year can make it appear that there is no master plan in place.

It’s all about balance. We’ve just come off one extreme, hopefully we don’t shift to the other.

———————–
      GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
      “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

• Cal says:

None of this stuff about Gauthier is worth anything. He has been relieved. It is done and over. Gagnon and idiots like Brunet are piling on now that he’s gone. Very brave of them, as usual.
      The media types hated Gauthier because no info was leaked during his tenure, not giving any one of the media outlets an “edge”. Everyone of them was given trade news when we were, and not before. I actually liked it that way. “Reporters” pretending to befriend athletes for “scoops” is 70s thinking.

What gets me is why they never ask the tough questions at the press conferences after games? I mean of both the players and coaches. It’s always softball after softball. It seems the media types are too worried about losing access and being able to watch the games live for free.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Exactly right about the tough questions, Saint Jessica was almost burned at the stake for asking what we were all asking about Mathieu Darche on the powerplay unit while Erik Cole was on the bench. We see Andrei Kostitsyn blame his coach for his travails on Bellorussian TV, he comes back to Montréal and is allowed to equivocate his way out of what he said on tape.

I do hate that tendency of reporters to give us the dirt on players only once they get traded away. So after Ron LeFlore is gone, we learn that he’s dealing coke and a bad influence on Tim Raines (no kidding). We learn about Al Oliver’s twelve showers a day. We learn that Peter Mahovlich used to party all the time, like Eddie Murphy’s girl. This information should be available when the guy is still on my team so I can properly boo the bums if I want.

———————————
        How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

16. TomNickle says:

I realize that it isn’t very original to be posting a comment about the GM search but such is life in Habland.

Vincent Damphousse will not be chosen. Geoff Molson made it very clear that being the standard of excellence in the NHL is the mandate. Damphousse is about to stand trial for abusing his wife. Cross him off of your list folks.

In my opinion, Julien Brisebois is only hired if we bring on Patrick Roy to coach and assist with player personnel. He’s a choice that comes with a lot of conditions.

Marc Bergevin is an interesting candidate but I have to caution those who think working under Scotty Bowman is an asset these days. I love Scotty, always will, but his son is running the Blackhawks into the ground and he’s been recommending a man twenty years removed from a hockey operations department for a GM post. I’m not sure Scotty hasn’t lost a lot of what made him great.

I have a hunch that it will be a candidate with playing and coaching experience who would be a terrific ambassador for the Habs. I suppose Damphousse is the only one who would surprise me but I have a couple of off the board candidates that I believe could get hired. Denis Savard and Guy Carbonneau wouldn’t surprise me.

Tom the interesting thing about Scotty Bowman is that he is the best coach in NHL history, but as far as I remember he only held the GM position with one team and that was Buffalo Sabres and as I recall it was a mess.

Yes he has held advisory roles and scouting positions but not a GM role with success.

This is not to dispute his “Hockey” knowledge, but knowing hockey and how to run a hockey team are two different things. The Blackhawks I agree have weakened their roster consecutive years, salary caps are hard to manage and they have faced their struggles. Not prepared to say it is being run into the ground yet, but understand the gist of your point.

• TomNickle says:

Imagine where they are if they trade Hjalmarsson instead of Byfuglien, keep Ladd instead of adding Frolik and that Florida trade where Dale Tallon was laughed at sure looks good now doesn’t it. Brian Campbell having an awesome year and Michael Frolik is an afterthought.

Stan Bowman came in and traded the wrong players with the exception of Versteeg. And that deal was Bowman’s only good work so far for my money.

• Strummer says:

Campbell was a massive cap hit.
          Chicago needed the relief and Florida had the space.
          Win/Win

______________________________________________________
          “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• Mr. Biter says:

Going to be interesting about Byfuglein next year. He has a DUI court date coming up this summer from last year and according to Canadian law no one with a DUI conviction can (within 5 years) enter Canada. Terrorists from other countries are okay though.

Mr. Biter
          No Guts No Glory

• ed lopaz says:

I think Brisebois is an interesting candidate.

I know that Roy is the fan favorite for coach, according to the media.

yesterday on RDS Gaston Therrien reports that Roy IS INTERESTED in the coaching job,

but ONLY IF he gets certain managerial powers, certain “vetos”,
      and that Roy wants to build “his” team.

so if I’m brisebois do I allow that type of “power” to be given to Roy??

to me, Roy is a control guy – like Gauthier was.

Roy wants to build his own team, do things his own way.

I think Brisebois would have a very hard time working in this situation.

I think if Brisebois is my GM, Roy is NOT my coach.

• TomNickle says:

Here’s my issue with Brisebois Ed. When you have a lack of experience in talent evaluation, drafting and the twenty-four seven spotlight on a GM in a major market, like Stubbs said, you had better surround yourself with the right people.

So with that in mind, Serge Savard had better be staying on as a President or Vice President if Brisebois is the route they go. I wouldn’t be trusting a lawyer whose management experience goes no further than the Hamilton Bulldogs and Norfolk Admirals budgets with the task of surrounding himself with the right scouting departments and coaching staffs with only a one on the job prior to the draft.

• ed lopaz says:

Tom, I think it is VERY LIKELY that someone like Savard – and I would not be surprised if Savard himself is chosen – will stay on as an “adviser” to the GM – like Gainey has been in the past.

So we totally agree on that.

I agree Ed, the only GM who could work with Roy would have to have his own self confidence and experience to be able to work with that powerful of a coach. Otherwise the GM becomes a Yes Man to the COach.

• ed lopaz says:

if I am Roy, I pass on the offer to join the Habs unless I get what I want – and in Roy’s case – he wants the “power” of a GM and the work of a coach.

Roy will be offered whatever he wants from Quebec.

Roy might even be offered a minority ownership position in Quebec.

As a business move, if I’m Roy, I negotiate very, very hard with the Habs.

Roy is in the drivers seat.

He will get “his deal”, or he will wait for Quebec to get their NHL franchise.

Quebec WILL get an NHL franchise.

It is a question of when not if.

17. steve17 says:

Not being involved in the NHL, I cannot say, who should be the next Gm but it was painfully obvious to anyone that Gauthier was not the right guy.

People keep throwing out names and in the end, it is most important that they get it right and sign a GM for the long haul and let him go throw the pains of turning things around. I hope they don’t discount anyone.

CEO’s of companies have media people address the public so why not have an assistant GM or hockey operations person address the media and public if the new GM has limited French? The key would be that they learn enough to speak to the media in the future.

I will say that the choice of Pierre McGuire concerns me. Yes, he can recount details of events he has been at and he makes some strong comments, but he has not managed a team and it is very different from expressing your opinion in the media to making trades for real!

Habfan17

• TomNickle says:

You mention a long term commitment to the new GM and compare it to the position of a CEO. CEO’s usually have a shelf life of three years. Not a very long term.

18. HabFanSince72 says:

Don’t know whether this was discussed yesterday, re: the Price headache story.

First, David Mulder should not be talking about patients on his cell phone when others can hear him. WHoever the patient might be.

Second, the reporter committed a breach of journalistic ethics (if those still existed) in reporting an overheard conversation.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• Habsrule1 says:

We don’t know the full story so I would not be too hard on the Doc yet.

As far as the journalist, she has a job to do. She gets paid to report scoops and that’s what she did. I don’t see a problem.

Go Habs Go!!

• TomNickle says:

It’s funny you mention that(not about Price). When you take a look around the league there are a lot of men still around from the old guard that don’t go near media because of the journalistic ethics being something of the past and a sincere lack of trust. Based on the information Dave Stubbs gets from players, you can tell he does things the right way.

Glen Sather, Lou Lamioreillo, Lindy Ruff, Bryan Murray and a lot of others from their generation don’t seem to speak with members of the media in a one on one setting.

At one point I had a team and we were covered by a writer who I trusted and was very candid with. This person wouldn’t put in writing half of the cursing and swearing I did about some of my own players, officials and opposing teams. There was a very nice bottle of scotch at his door in May every year.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Patient confidentiality is an important concern. Possibly Dr. Mulder needs to be more careful.

I’m curious about the ethics of the journalist reporting this as well. If this was about the Prime Minister, and it had consequences of national importance and the people needed to know, maybe you run the story after checking it, but this is for a goalie of an eliminated team, it’s not like it’s a scoop or anything.

Somehow athletes don’t get the privilege of having that doctor-patient relationship, all their ills are aired out in public. Although as I type this, I realize there are never any embarrassing diseases revealed, so there must be some safeguards and gentlemen’s agreements sometimes.

———————————
      How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

• TomNickle says:

It’s a scoop regardless of the time of year. This would be a scoop for that journalist in July.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I misspoke. I should have compared the juiciness of the scoop, which is relatively non-existent, compared to the breach of confidentiality and the ethics of reporting on an overheard/eavesdropped conversation. Maybe a case to be dissected at journalism class.

———————————
          How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

Both good points HF72.

19. JF says:

Great piece on Julien BriseBois. I’m sold. And the article was superbly written – the first two paragraphs are hilarious.

I still think Marc Bergevin would be a better choice. However I think BriseBois makes a good plan B.

I think either candidate provides a new direction for the team.

• punkster says:

Wait, what happened to Damphousse? And do you think either Brisebois or Bergevin would pick Roy as coach?

It’s only Tuesday so I give you to the weekend to change your mind…again ;)

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• Habsrule1 says:

I think if Molson wants Roy as the coach, the GM will have to agree to it. I’m not positive that the GM will get complete carte blanche on the coach. I also think Roy as the coach is a no-brainer, but that’s just me.

Go Habs Go!!

• punkster says:

I think “no brainer” is an apt description for the guy, but that’s just me.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

9am and you got your Bazinga gun out already? Impressive sir!

• Habsrule1 says:

Not you too Punkster :-(
            I think he has the fire we need.
            I’d be fine with him going to Hamilton first, but that’s not going to happen.
            Give him the job and keave him there. I hate that they cut Carbo off so soon. Let’s see how a coach gets out of the rough times.

Go Habs Go!!

• HardHabits says:

I see Damphousse as #3 on my list but would prefer to see him as assistant GM.

The only reason why I dropped VD down the list is due to his impending court battle. Bad publicity. I feel he needs to put that behind him before being considered for the top job, however still feel he would be a good candidate for Assistant GM now and GM in the future.

I am not one to vote for the same party either. You can stay one of the indoctrinated and closed minded. I prefer flexibility.

• punkster says:

I can stay indoctrinated and closed minded?

I have not expressed my preferences. I prefer to assess candidates before jumping on band wagons. How is this close minded? I don’t follow the popular flavour of the day suggestions. How is this indoctrinated?

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• Un Canadien errant says:

What is your preference based on HH?

I wrote in January I think that I wanted Julien BriseBois as the next GM of the Canadiens. I thought we should hire a bright whiz-kid instead of a recycled GM from another organization. His résumé was enough to convince me on the first read.

Having said that, I haven’t met any of these candidates. Many are quite impressive in their background and accomplishments so far. I would be comfortable with Marc Bergevin, Claude Loiselle, Vincent Damphousse, a couple others as well. I have to trust that the hiring committee will make the right decision. With all the crap we’re only hearing now about Mr. Gauthier, the situation at the New Forum can only improve. Right?

The only candidate I’m dead set against is Pierre McGuire. I don’t understand who would consider him a serious candidate when compared to the others, his résumé is very weak. It’s like when you’re choosing a Chef, you will interview Chefs or Sous-Chefs from other locations or your own Sous-Chefs. You’re not going to hire the guy who turned out to be a mediocre chef 15 years ago and who went on to be a sommelier. Nothing wrong with being a sommelier, it’s an important part of the whole dining experience, but once you’ve gone down that career path it’s hard to jump from there and land at the top of the profession of another career path. You kind of have to backtrack and pay your dues as a Chef de partie somewhere and work your way up again. Along the lines of that analogy, I understand that Mr. McGuire doesn’t want to go back to being a drone in a front office, that he wants to get the top job, since he’s doing well where he’s at now, but that’s the decision he has to make. If he’s trapped by his current salary, well that’s the bed he’s made. We all make decisions in life. If he doesn’t want to prove himself in a junior role, I don’t understand why it would be incumbent upon us to take a leap of faith and trust him with the keys to our franchise. There are other more qualified pilots with more certification, who haven’t been passed over for similar posts repeatedly.

———————————
      How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

• Habsrule1 says:

I agree that at first glance Bergevin & Brisebois are the logical choices.
        I do think McGuire can do the job though. Assuming he does not possess all the qualities a GM should, I have no doubt he can learn them. He has been involved in hockey in some way for a good 30 years.
        I also agree he might want to consider taking an assistant GM job or maybe even head scout job first to get his office feet wet again.

Go Habs Go!!

• HardHabits says:

McGuire is a food critic.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Thanks, it makes the analogy even stronger. Not saying the critic is clueless about running a kitchen, but I’ll trust mine to the bright energetic sous-chef who got his start here as a third cook and moved up the ladder until he left for greener pastures.

But you didn’t answer the original question: why do you prefer Marc Bergevin over the other candidates who are floated? I’m specifically interested in Mr. Loiselle, BriseBois, and Damphousse?

———————————
          How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

21. rated_R says:

Wow what an article on Brisebois! JB for GM!

Blunden is an interesting story. He put up nice balanced numbers in Juniour and seems to have been injury plagued in the NHL. When the Habs first called him up, he seemed to have an immediate positive impact on the team. Providing speed and physicality to the 4th line. Then before injuries would stop him JM stopped him dead in his tracks at the New York Ranger game. He finally starts to get his chance again with RC and more injuries.

If he could remain healthy for the majority of a season, he could be a nice piece on our 4th line. He isn’t going to take the role of Staubitz or White (he is not a good enough or big enough fighter), but I think he is better than just an AHL’er with the right role.

Hope he gets a crack next year and can stay healthy.

• punkster says:

Even though I like Blunden as well these 4th liners are pretty well interchangeable around the league.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• Mr. Biter says:

Bluden, White and Staubitz make a very good 4 th line that is also very affordable which in the days where we have some top heavy contracts helps. Also White has really picked up his game. Now spends time on PK. Just wish he could score.

Mr. Biter
        No Guts No Glory

• SteverenO says:

There is a big difference between spending time on the pk and being effective on the PK. White has played 42 minutes shorthanded and the opposition have scored 5 ppg against us during that span. (average 1 PP GA every 8 minutes)

To compare, Darche has played 109 minutes on the PK and only 6 PP goals have been allowed while he has been on the ice. (average of 1 PP GA every 18 minutes)

I like White, but he has yet to show anything this season compared to how he performed last year prior to his injury.

last year White played 234 minutes even strength, the team scored 12 g0als while he was on the ice, a very respectable average of one goal per 20 minutes of ice time. This season since returning from injury, White has played 245 minutes at even strength and the team has scored only 4 goals while he has been on the ice, a terrible average of one goal per 60 minutes of ice time.

Steve O.

23. rated_R says:

Local boys doesnt guarantee wins. We need the best fitted players for success, no matter where they’re from!

24. ths says:

Brilliant strategy by Habs for the Tank.
    Remove Gomez last month with ‘concussion’
    Now remove Price for final push
    Then they can trade Gomez on draft day for another first rounder and they can fight Pitts next year

Ooh Aah Habs on the war path

• RGM says:

You’d have to find a very dumb GM to part with a 1st for Scott Gomez in the year 2012. While Scott Howson is still employed in Columbus, unfortunately I don’t think they’ll go for it.

———————–
      GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
      “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

Great article by the headmaster on Julien BriseBois.

What better way to break from the past (which has held the Habs back all these years) and move into the 21st century.

26. Chrisadiens says:

Ok…I’m sold. Brisebois it is then. Now for coach? No idea…we need a developer. Someone who can mold our kids into NHLers. I have no idea who that could be. Do we bring Guy back, he discovered DD after all. Who does everyone here want for the next coach?

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

• 24 Cups says:

Selecting a coach is very easy. That responsibility will be looked after by the new GM, BriseBois. That’s how it should be done.

One of the prime prerequisites will be an ability to develop and work with young players seeing that’s where the next five year plan is taking the team.

All of us have narrowed down the Habs 1st round draft pick to one of four players. Great.

The real question relates to Serge Savard’s comment that he feels the team should be drafting more French-Canadien players. Montreal will be selecting somewhere in the 32-35 range. Here’s a question. Are there really any French candidates who logically are ranked for that draft range? I can’t think of any. It’s an important point because there will still be some top picks available from the first round who slip into the 2nd. Brandon Saad being a prime example from last year.

Second question. We have Nashville’s 2nd rounder, so who might be available in that regard (#50-60) in terms of a French speaking prospect?

• Cal says:

It goes back to team identity. Finding those local French players that can do the job will fall on the shoulders of the new GM’s scouting staff. The notion that the Q isn’t all that good is false. The Q has won its share of Memorial Cups since 1995 with 5 wins. The WHL has 6. The OHL has 4.

• Habsrule1 says:

In my opinion, the new GM has to hire a scout for just the province of Quebec. Let this guy concentrate on finding the best local talent. There is no reason other teams should be beating us to our own guys. I’m not sure if this position already exists, but if it does, we need someone better.

Go Habs Go!!

• Cal says:

I think a team of 3 or 4 for Quebec and the Maritimes would be a good start. The distances are just too vast for 1 guy in a car.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I’ve posted before that we should have more scouts than any other organization, since that area is not governed by salary cap. I guess a scout with salary and expenses comes in around $200 000 a year. We should have three or four in Québec, scouting the LHJMQ, the CIS and the Midget AAA and AA leagues. We should have as many in Ontario and out West. We should have the biggest scouting department in the league. We bloody well pay for it by filling the New Forum, let’s reinvest it for the good of the team’s fans.

———————————
          How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

• HabFanSince72 says:

When Savard was GM he always picked WHL lugs in the first round but found the Quebecois in the later rounds. Guys like Claude Lemieux.

Doesn’t mean it’ll be that way this year.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• RGM says:

Just took a peek at the rankings from Central Scouting and (at least at the mid-term) there’s not a lot of guys from the Q in that top 25-30 area. Might be some diamonds in the rough in later rounds, though.

———————–
      GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
      “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

I promise this will be my last post about Steven Stamkos this year. But I just love this kid and the way he plays.

– 58 goals

– 95 points

– 12 powerplay goals

– 12 game winning goals

– 5 overtime winning goals

Did I mention this 22 year old superstar scores goals? And best of all, that he is a really nice person?

• Chrisadiens says:

Have you met him Steve? It sounds like you have a personal story about him and I’d love to hear it.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

Hey Chris, nice to see you posting, hope things are well for you. Stamkos is from Steve’s neck of the woods, can’t blame him for this mancrush on the kid.

• Chrisadiens says:

Hey Burl, Ive been stalking you guys but not really posting. Sometimes i scroll around, see “Halak” and then quickly close the browser window. Whats this Ive been hearing about you having a tremendous singing voice???

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

• 24 Cups says:

Stamkos grew up and played hockey in southern York Region, towns like Unionville and Markham. That’s where I live, as well. My nephew was on Steven’s team and went to the same high school. So I know him in an indrect way. It’s funny how the kids weren’t jealous of Stamkos, in fact they idolized him.

A few years ago, there was a tragic death involving one of the young people from that group. Stamkos flew up from Tampa to attend the funeral. No entourage, no photo-op, in fact only the people at the service ever knew that Steven was there.

There is a men’s summer baseball league in Markham. Just a bunch of regular guys getting together to play ball and have a few laughs and beers. The guys are anywhere from 20 to 70 in age. Stamkos still plays in that league even though he’s a multi-millionaire.

When Stamkos comes home, he hangs out with his high school buddies. And his mom and dad. His hat size is still the same as it was when he was a teenager.

I look around and see so many sports figures who are total assholes even though fate has given them a life of fortune and fame. Look no further than the NBA. Or Dion Phaneuf. Dany Heatley.

I guess I just enjoy a feel good story every one in awhile.

That is nice to hear, great of you to share. Steve, if he ever played for the Leafs, do you think he could still do all that though in the summer? Or would the media in T.O. be on him like a fat kid on a smartie.

• Chrisadiens says:

Thanks for sharing Steve. Its always nice to hear these stories. Gives me an idea that there may be hope for humanity afterall.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

• banjo bernie says:

I hear the Bruins are gonna get him for for Lucic

29. RGM says:

I’m in agreement on BriseBois. At only 35, he could be the vanguard for a new era of general managers who have grown up in the salary cap system and know it inside-out. Dude’s got quite the CV behind him and I think it is the kind of bold, progressive leadership that the Habs could really use after the ultra-conservative Gauthier regime.

———————–
    GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
    “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

• Cal says:

Molson stated he wants long term constancy when it comes to the management. What better way than by hiring a young guy like Brisebois?
      The next thing I want to see is the NOT firing of the head coach every 2.5 bleeping seasons. A good coach should remain behind the bench for 10 years +.

• RGM says:

Let’s hope we can then find the right man behind the bench. My candidate will be in Halifax next week and I intend to wish him well.

———————–
        GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
        “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

30. Cal says:

Milbury speaks like a man who has received too many concussions. Why is it all the Gooins goons are on tv? What the bleep is the appeal? Does NBC and Comcast really want to turn the NHL into the WWE? Effing morons.

Crazy thing is Cal, watching Canadian Sports Highlights the past day and the number one highlight is the Philly/Pittsburgh fights and coaches yelling segment. Seems to me that the NHL and ALL the networks that carry it love that part of the game the most.

• Cal says:

They shouldn’t try to market the NHL like roller derby. There is so much fast-paced skill to choose from that relying on dumbass fights to market the game is plain stupid. American tv networks have been trying to market the game like this since the 70s. I got some news for them: IT DOES NOT WORK, YOU MORONS!

31. Hobie Hansen says:

Defintely a strange time to be a Canadiens fan. Wanting the Habs to lose all week to win a lottery. Saturday night against the Leafs will be odd with both sets of fans in an ornery mood and hoping both teams lose.

• athanor says:

Actually, what I want is for Edmonton to win its next two, NYI and Anaheim to get three points each and Carolina and Minnie to get at least one, so the Habs could win the rest and still get great draft pick.
      And I still want them to beat Leafs.

Boone, nice job on the vote for Brisebois.