Canadiens recall Dawes, Palushaj

placeholder-WhatsNew

The Canadiens announced Wednesday that they have recalled forwards Nigel Dawes and Aaron Palushaj  from the AHL Hamilton Bulldogs.

Presumably, this is because of injuries to Tomas Plekanec and Jeff Halpern.

Montreal (March 16, 2011) – The Montreal Canadiens announced today that forwards Nigel Dawes and
Aaron Palushaj have been recalled from the AHL Hamilton Bulldogs. Dawes and Palushaj will join the
Canadiens, for tomorrow’s game against the Tampa Bay Lightning, at the Bell Centre.
Dawes, 26, played in nine games with the Atlanta Thrashers in 2010-11, his fourth NHL season. The 5’09”
and 200 lbs left winger recorded one assist while averaging 11:11 of time on ice. He played a total of 208 NHL
career regular season games with the Rangers, Phoenix Coyotes, Calgary Flames and Thrashers. He has registered
84 career points (39 goals, 45 assists) and 43 penalty minutes.
Dawes leads the Bulldogs with 54 points (33 goals, 21 assists) in 55 games this season. He ranks first on the
team and in the AHL with 33 goals. Nine of his goals have been tallied on the power play and one while
shorthanded. He displays a +7 plus/minus differential, has collected 169 shots on goal and served 17 penalty
minutes.
Born in Winnipeg, Dawes was a fifth round pick, 149th selection overall, by the New York Rangers in 2003.
He was acquired from the Thrashers, along with Brent Sopel, last February 24.
Palushaj, 21, ranks third on the Bulldogs with 44 points (17 goals, 27 assists) in 57 games this season. Five
of his goals have been tallied on the power play. The 5’11’’ and 177 lbs right winger is tied for first on the Bulldogs
with a +15 plus/minus differential. He has registered 134 shots on goal and served 30 penalty minutes.
A native of Northville, Michigan, Palushaj was the St. Louis Blues’ fifth pick (second round, 44th overall) in
the 2007 NHL Entry Draft. He was acquired from the Blues on March 2, 2010, in return for Matt D’Agostini.

1. Chuck says:

You’re also forgetting Benny, plus Palushaj and Dawes.

We could potentially have 13 players in tomorrow’s lineup that were either not with the team or in large contributing roles at the beginning of last season… 14 if Auld starts.

2. zig616 says:

I wish someone other then Moen was on a the line with Gio and Gomez.  You really see how much we miss Patches.  We need someone who will go to the net on that line, like patches did.  I was watching Moen last night and all he did was float between the circles when Gio or gomes had the puck behind the net.  Come on Moen go to the dirty place.  I say put Dawes on that line and tell him to go to the net.  He is not that tall but he is pretty thick and has a good stick, much bettern then Moen.

Want a real pick me upper!!  Listen to this link.

What is a Canadian ?

Check this out.

4. DarthWade says:

If they can be effective who cares where they are from. At this stage of the game beggars can’t be choosers. :(

I also think it would make the first round of the playoffs even sweeter if we managed to wipe out the Bruins with a bunch of people from Hamilton.

5. Bill J says:

Agreed.  I too have questioned JM’s system, but it does work.

And all the BS about him & young talent, I think Subban & MaxPac will tell you, if you play hard for the Habs JM will give you loads of ice time.

6. Chuck says:

Both are listed as day-to-day, if that means anything to you.

7. bwoar says:

Precautionary only I think.  No reason to panic.  It wouldn’t surprise me if they were already planning to give Dawes a shot before the season ends, and now is a logical time.

Good chance that both stay with the club from here on in imo.  We’re almost outta spare bodies & only Sopel coming back any time soon.

Not only that Bill, what a job by our coaching staff to keep us in the hunt. I sometimes question J. Martin’s coaching.

But you have to give the man credit. He put this train wreck back on the tracks last year, took us for a very nice ride in the play offs.

And this year has kept us in the hunt, while loosing half the team’s roster to injuries.

That is like sage like my friend, well put.

10. Propwash says:

I’m guessing that Plecky and Halpern is gonna be gone for a bit of time.

Hopefully Dawes and Palushaj can effectively take their places.

11. OneTimer says:

He seems really comfortable on the ice lately. It’s like something just “clicked” for him in the last few weeks. Quite a transformation.

12. Bill J says:

RE your closing statement, that + now the Habs only have 2-3 more callups available to them from now to the end of the playoffs.

Dawes & Palushaj will finish the season with Montreal unless they pull a SK74.

13. zig616 says:

I hear you, it is a stretch for one of these guys to get top line nods.  I am just not a moen backer.  The goal he scored last night was total luck, and his lack of going to the front of the net, or his finishing ability is less then desirable .  I do agree he has been more effective then Pouilot.  I am just frustrated, but I guess that is what comes with all these injuries the team has sustained.

14. zig616 says:

I agree.  I think as a fourth line guy, or even as a third with Eller and AK46 he was effective.

15. shiram says:

You do with what you have, and we are running low on good top forwards.

At least Moen can create some space. I like Moen, he’s not a scoring forward, but in the role he was given this season, he did alright. He is scrappy, and was our fighting guy, before White and Mara came along. He just is not meant to be on a top line, but I feel he is doing ok considering he was basically a fourth/third line guy for most of the season.

16. bwoar says:

Wow, the limit is FOUR callups.  The rule for emergency callups says:

(ii) Emergency conditions shall be
    established when the playing strength of the loaning Club, by
    reason of incapacitating injury or illness or by League
    suspension to its players is reduced below the level of two (2)
    goalkeepers, six (6) defensemen and twelve (12) forwards. Proof
    of the existence of the emergency conditions including the
    incapacity shall be furnished to the Commissioner of the League
    upon request made by him.

17. forskis says:

Dawes is 5’9″ but 200 lbs…people complain about small players…that sounds like a solid barrel of a player to me.

“I am guilty of using elipses…”

18. Bill J says:

I’m not 100% clear on this stipulation, but I think that “emergency callups” are allowed if & only if the 4-5 callups have all been used + no other options are available in the press box for the NHL team.

IE – the NHL team is dying one by one…. lol

19. forskis says:

I have grudgingly accepted the following fact:  the Habs are the Yankees of hockey and will be treated as such – if you love them, you LOVE them…but if you hate them, then you really HATE them, which would explain all the garbage being spewed about the team, its fans and the city.  Even a Stanley Cup win would be dismissed as something insignificant or indicative of how cheap the team is since the haters would be convinced that they cheated to win.

“I am guilty of using elipses…”

20. bwoar says:

Yeah, it’s 6 maximum isn’t it?  Definitely playing a factor, I recall Ben Maxwell riding the pine last season in a similar situation.  We really had no extra forwards, I was beginning to think Weber might get 4th line time if someone got hurt during practice.

I doubt Palushaj sees much ice, but more pointedly, Dustin Boyd will probbaly never wear the CH again.

21. Storm Man says:

Snap………… Are you lost again? This happens each time  the Habs lose you get lost and come on here. I will open the door for you so you can see yourself out. Bye.

22. christophor says:

Do they not count as emergency callups?

23. shiram says:

Obviously the Bruins are the team that most respect the players,  and is most respected by all the other players.

24. Snair11 says:

love the jab about the economy at the end!

25. Rugger says:

Like learning to drive a standard, lots of rough going and then all of a sudden it clicks and it is so smooth from that point on.

No! It was only Richards, who was made to look foolish on the ice by a rookie, and Richards was backed up by that (suck up to any player’s coat tails ) Don the fool Cherry.

You cannot take either one of those two very seriously.

27. Bob_Sacamano says:

AK46 who has 10 points in his last 10 games also deserves some praise. They really work great together and even managed to wake up Moen who was pretty useless offensively for the first 60 games.

28. forskis says:

I have been trying to get this typed out ever since all the PK Subban hate started…I really do think that there is bias and discrimination in the NHL…against anybody not Anglophone Caucasian North American:

We all know about the garbage and hypocrisy PK Subban has gone through all season and Habs fans throwing bananas at Kevin Weekes and the blackface;
    The perceptions of francophone players as visor-wearing, cheapshot artist cowards plus all the “go back to Quebec” or “we hate francophones” garbage from fans of other teams even though lots of teams have more francophones than the Habs;
    The Europeans are seen as pansies who bail when the going gets rough and have no respect for the game, case in point:  the Oilers’ European rookie does a centre-ice spinorama and is vilified as showboating and being disrespectful while Stamkos does it in the slot and it is hailed as “a beautiful move”…same move, same result in scoring but different reactions…

You would think that the League would add this to their extensive “things we need to fix” list…

“I am guilty of using elipses…”

29. secretdragonfly says:

I may be wrong about this but wouldn’t Boyd have to clear waivers if he were to be called up?

30. OneTimer says:

Solid little powder keg body type, no doubt, only problem is ideally there’s 1-2 of them on a team, not five or more.

31. Bugs says:

My boy Ebby Calvin Paloosh gettin the call?

32. Everlasting1 says:

How cool is this..myth and metal as part of a school’s curriculum \m/

Better than the religious hymns I had to endure in grade school :-/

Elohim:”Let us make an Adam in our image and after our likeness.” – Genesis 1:26

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

33. forskis says:

I understand that but wouldn’t having solid bodies be important no matter the height?  A rolling line of 6’0″ 200lbs powder keg bodies can be just as effective as a lineup of 6’3″, 200lbs guys, would it not?  The only difference would be leverage.

“I am guilty of using elipses…”

34. habstrinifan says:

How cool eh.. remember we talked about some mojo and mentioned Dawes. I am kinda excited over these callups.

Dawes I had been asking for weeks now. Good size, good junior career, good player. I think he will be permanent on this team…  even when Pleks returns.

Palushaj is from the same hockey program as Max Pac and he looked good last yrs AHL playoffs and pre-season here.

GO HABS GO!!

35. The Cat says:

Too true.

36. The Cat says:

Lol!

37. habstrinifan says:

We will!

38. habstrinifan says:

For a punch line we’ve been having the LAST LAUGH  lots recently and will do so again on Thursday when Dawes scores 2 goals and gets the Gomer going.

Yep we can call him The Gomer now cause I sense a change coming cause Dawes is gonna end up on his line for keeps. Playoffs here we come!.

39. habstrinifan says:

Dont worry he will be on that line… book on it. You gonna like this Dawes fellow.

40. king ddd says:

and in 6th place. how insane is that.

** Buck Fruins **

41. Bugs says:

For the record, I ain’t cheerin for the leafs tonight; I’m cheerin for Grabby, so anyone what’s got somethin to say, bring it up with my lawyers, you’ll see I’m perfectly covered.

42. king ddd says:

i was watching the champs league today rm vs lyon. i was wondering if there were no salary cap would the molsons go beserk and do what real madrid does. meaning sign all the best players for ridiculous amount of money?

** Buck Fruins **

43. habstrinifan says:

Love it. Silky player too like Jean.

44. The Cat says:

I think its cause of the fans more than the team itself. Just go to sports forums in general and the rep of the habs fan aint good. Passion makes fans do great things, also some not so great things.

45. habstrinifan says:

Friendly bet ok… Dawes ends up on top line.. for rest of season… providing rules allow when PLeks and Halpern come back.

46. ZepFan2 says:

For the record. It was one banana, thrown by one banana head. Also, this happened in 2002.

Aside from the two nimrods that went to the game in black face, I hope we’ve evolved by now.

———————————————————————— Welcome to the newer NHL: The National Head-shots League.

47. Chuck says:

Your avatar is creeping me out.  :)

48. christophor says:

Maybe the callup section is large enough to start a Habs Present column.

49. habstrinifan says:

Dont know how the lines will be at start but by the 2nd period WILL be Gionta-Dawes-Gomez and a new hero will be born in Habsland. Keeping my fingers crossed cause  I have this feeling about Dawes.

Look for Pouliot to be bench warming lots in this game.

50. SeriousFan09 says:

Good lord, Habs Future is HOSED.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

51. habstrinifan says:

Hope for Pleks. I WANT to see Dawes in the lineup. I think he will have JM wetting his pants. This is a JM tye player with scoring touch. Upgrade on Halpern I think.

52. Duracell3 says:

Canadiens game. Weekes also played in the OHL.

53. showey47 says:

heatley gets 2 games for elbow on ott.

54. habstrinifan says:

I burst out laughing. Good one!

55. habstrinifan says:

Nice!

56. habstrinifan says:

True!

57. habstrinifan says:

Credit MUST go to the Booner. I remember distinctly Boone’s blog where he beautifully described the new pairing of AK46 and Eller as developing an enigmatically ‘vague chemistry’.

You gotta know JM read that and the rest, as they say, is HISTORY!

58. G-Man says:

Right- have the Habs add 2 players who are not NHL able. What’s the point?

59. king ddd says:

ive got no clue why we get rid players like grabovski, sk74. if nashvill and toronto can bring the best in them why cant we.

** Buck Fruins **

60. Led says:

I thought the Weekes incident was something that happened in the Q. Did this really happen at a Canadiens game?

61. OneTimer says:

bad attitude, and you’re out. I’m glad we traded them.

62. Bugs says:

Agree, that Roy guy was such a pr*ck.

63. andrewberkshire says:

Either that or “Habs Longshot” and do it on the Wheeling Nailers.

64. lemess says:

bad attitude, no stanley cups, and you’re out?

65. andrewberkshire says:

Huge difference between being a dipsh** who refuses to practice and the ultimate competitor who has a huge ego. Doubt you’d find many teammates of Patrick who’d say anything negative about him.

I guess what I’m sayin’ here, Bugsy, is that your comparison is utter shite.

66. Bill J says:

LOL – nice.

67. SeriousFan09 says:

I have no idea what HAM is going to do, they are completely tapped out and the Habs don’t have any junior hockey guys except Leblanc and Lefebvre on contract and they’re not going anywhere with MTL Juniors 2nd overall in the QMJHL, they’re fixing for a deep playoff run and a bid at the Memorial Cup if they can somehow upset Saint John.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

68. 24moreCups says:

Do the Dog’s even have enough people to dress for their next game? haha

Don’t know how their going to win it.

69. shiram says:

Well it’s likely they do end up there, my point was more that they probably get 3rd or 4th line shifts for some time, and later on if all is working properly for them, move up in the trios.

That’s what I expect of Martin anyway.

70. filincal says:

Ask Sather how that worked out for him all those pre-lockout years…

I BLEED BLEU BLANC ET ROUGE!!!

71. Bugs says:

Why are you telling ME this? I think that was my point about a “bad attitude” not being a requisite for dismissal, no?

As for finding teammates who’d say anything negative about St.Pat, how ’bout Mathieu Schneider? Woops!, lemme guess: when you said that, you meant it in such’n’such context, and not in so’n’so context because your all-encompassing view doesn’t apply anymore?

Sheesh, even when you try to argue valiantly from an incorrect stance in my regard, you fail.

But whatever, ok, you got me: I didn’t know Grabby wasn’t like Roy. I thought they were exactly, exactly the same. Thank you for setting me straight, Berkie.

72. shuttle-lemaire-lafleur says:

Unfortunately Gomez sucks the life out of any line he plays on, IMO, he’s a dawg and should be ashamed to cash his cheque.!!

73. forskis says:

My counter to that would be that fans of any team, every team and any sport and every sport are like that.

“I am guilty of using elipses…”

74. king ddd says:

well sather is an idiot

** Buck Fruins **

75. 24moreCups says:

I was actually wondering how the Montreal Juniors were doing, I hope they do well in the playoffs.

How’s Leblanc looking? and is gonna go up to Hamilton next season?