Canadiens recall David Desharnais

He won’t play in Florida today.

Likely Sunday against Atlanta.

DD’s stats

As you read these words, Gaston Therrien and Tony Marinaro are running around the Bell Centre buck naked, wearing party hats and cranking noisemakers.

The team announcement:

David Desharnais has been called up from the AHL Hamilton Bulldogs. Desharnais will join the Canadiens in Montreal for Saturday’s scheduled practice at the Bell Sports Complex in Brossard.
The 5’07’’, 170 lbs centreman, aged 24, played six games with the Canadiens last season, including his first game in the NHL on November 25 at Pittsburgh. He recorded one assist and two shots on goal, while averaging 8:27 minutes of ice time per game.
Desharnais leads the Bulldogs and the AHL in scoring with 45 points (10 goals, 35 assists) in 35 games this season. One of his goals has been tallied on the power play and three while shorthanded. He ranks first in the AHL in assists (35) and in power play assists (20), while also leading the Bulldogs with a +14 plus/minus differential. He has collected 70 shots on goal and has served 24 penalty minutes. Desharnais has been named the Reebok/AHL Player of the Week for the period ending December 26, recording five points (two goals, three assists) in two games.
A native of Quebec City, Desharnais signed with the Canadiens as a free agent on November 5, 2008.

The assessment from Hockey’s Future:

Desharnais is intriguing offensively. He is small in today’s NHL
standards, but that has never prevented players from skating in the big
league. He has a strong instinct around the net and is excellent with
the puck.

The young center likes to use his teammates in the best possible
way but will never shy from shooting the puck. He has scored 65 goals in
his last two years with Chicoutimi.

He is also a good leader in and out of the rink. He was the
Saguenéens’ captain and has always been able to gain opponents’ respect.

7h6rzLS3Dx4

Here’s an October feature on Desharnais by Gary McKay of the Hamilton Spectator:

He was the Hamilton Bulldogs leading scorer and finished fifth in the league but David Desharnais felt he played part of last season playing catch-up.
That’s because the 5-foot-6, 177-pound centre broke a bone in his foot in the final minute of the Dogs’ final preseason game of 2009. The injury kept him out of the team’s lineup for 13 games. He didn’t suit up until Nov. 10.
“You watch everyone else after 13 games and see they’re feeling good on the ice and getting their timing down, so for sure you’re playing catch-up,” Desharnais was saying prior to the Bulldogs season opener in Rochester last night.
“It’s important that you start the year good. I’m healthy now so hopefully I can have a good start and keep it going for the rest of the year.”
The 24-year-old from Quebec City ended last year’s regular season with 27 goals, 51 assists and 78 points in 60 games, one of the best points-per-game ratios in the league.
Desharnais says he hasn’t set any specific goals for this year other than to be a better overall player. He says he knows, however, that he has to produce goals and assists at a pretty prolific pace if he hopes to get a shot at making the Montreal Canadiens.
“Getting points is always important,” he says. “Your stats don’t lie and for me as a small player I always have to put points on the board. I’m not sure I’d be here if I didn’t have 139 points in total. I have to keep putting points on the board.”
Bulldogs new head coach Randy Cunneyworth, who was in Atlanta the last two seasons as an assistant coach with the Thrashers, hasn’t seen Desharnais play other than in this year’s preseason games and a handful of practices.
He’s seen enough, however, to know that he likes what he sees.
“Wherever the puck was, he was,” said Cunneyworth. “He sees the ice well and has great skills to complement it. It’s one thing to see the ice well but to execute is a testimony to his ability.
“He’s definitely a guy we will be looking to for leadership.”
Cunneyworth says he doesn’t see Desharnais’s lack of size as a deterrent to his making the NHL some day.
“He’s capable of skating well but he needs to get faster,” says Cunneyworth. “He needs to get up to NHL speed. He’s by no means slow but he needs to develop another gear consistently.”

1. MTLForever says:

i can see AK out the door.

2. mrhabby says:

eklund?????

3. TomNickle says:

Eller could go down but he would just dominate down there so I don’t think it’s going to happen.  Pacioretty is playing very good hockey too.  Of course those are just my opinions so I could easily be wrong but I wouldn’t be surprised to see Andrei moved in a package deal, maybe a prospect or two gets moved too.

4. T-Man79 says:

The habs have good young players and cap space. They could trade 2-3 players and draft pick…Brad Richards was mentionned but Dallas is doing great right now. He may not want to move anymore at the trade deadline. But other players of his statue could be available. PG isn’t going to be waiting around too long. I trust him more then JM. He’s not helping the team right now. I’m telling ya, a big trade is in the works.

5. TomNickle says:

Yeah but there’s no need for 14 forwards and we have seven healthy defensemen still.  We’re at the roster limit with Gorges on IR.

6. rocketsglare says:

You may have misunderstood my post. Embarrassing for Gionta, Gomez, Kostitsyn and the rest of the team’s

forwards for underachieving so far this season. Props to Desharnais that his hard work is being recognized by

management and is being given a chance to play in Montreal. I hope Desharnais proves that desire and heart

rather than size alone wins in the NHL.

7. TommyB says:

That’s what I have been doing, counting the forwards.  And I agree with you, something might be cooking.  Well, something smells, anyway.  I hope it’s something cooking.

8. GrimJim says:

Bulldogs played last night. That plus a 2.5 hour flight would really put DD behind the eight-ball were he to play tonight.

9. MTLForever says:

if someone is to go, i’d like if AK went

10. MTLForever says:

Nope, Gorges on IR so nothing has to occur.

11. TomNickle says:

Don’t be so sure, might not be a coincidence that Desharnais’ been called up.

Plekanec, Cammalleri, Kostitsyn, Gomez, Gionta, Pacioretty, Eller, Pouliot, Darche, Moen, Halpern, Pyatt, Desharnais, Lapierre.

14 forwards.

Probably don’t need that many up with the big club and I believe Eller and Pacioretty are the only two who can be sent down without having to clear waivers.

12. rocketsglare says:

Sounds about right.

13. TomNickle says:

So what’s going down?  Lars Eller being sent to Hamilton?  Benny getting scratched or traded?  Andrei Kostitsyn getting traded?

14. MTLForever says:

Bob Mckenzie’s Twitter:

I have no specifics and am up to eyes in WJC, but my sense is we’ll see some NHL trades (didn’t say big ones) in coming days. TOR? Possibly.

I don’t believe we are one of them since we just got Wiz

15. Everlasting1 says:

lol I heard he’s closer to 5’6″. They may be embellishing.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

16. MTLForever says:

Yup when he went in last night I thought, little practice for tomorrow.

17. homerbowen says:

Oh great! A “SMURF” party just in time for New Years. Send Gomez down to the Bulldogs and the rest will get the message.

Interesting that Boucher and Cedric did us in (I am so pissed off). Happy Frikkin New Year fellow Habs fans and Baa Humbug again. Another round please.

18. The Teacher says:

About time.

Now give him a REAL shot, and stop playing him with 4th liners.

19. Matt_in_TO says:

The savior as been called upon!!  Woopee!

Will JM be smart enough to pair hm with MaxPac?

– In Price We Trust

20. Mattyleg says:

Boo.

Martin St. Louis had to fight against people like you to become the player he is today.

Go DD!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

21. TommyB says:

I think JM tipped his hand last night.  I doubt he pulled Price late in the game thinking Auld could come in and “spark” the team to a comeback.  I think he felt he might just as well put Auld in and give him a headstart on today’s game.  Why not give Auld an early feel for his next start.  That’s what I think.  Then he comes back with Price Sunday at home.  Is that too logical?  Maybe.

22. Chuck says:

It’s the flaunting of the spirit of the rule that needs to be dealt with. The whole idea of the penalty shot is to give the shooter a “do over” if he’s been hampered in his ability to create a scoring chance, and not to give the shooter a chance to create a move that wasn’t available to him on the original play, ie: blocking off the goaltender.

The forward-motion and puck stoppage are of concern, too. If all goals are supposedly reviewable, then shouldn’t a goal scored on a penalty shot also be looked at in circumstances where the defending team thinks that it had broken a rule?

But hey, it’s been plastered all over the NHL website as one of last night’s highlights, so I guess that we know where the league stands on this.

Centre Hice: yeah, but was it legal?

23. habaholic68NJ says:

Hope DD gets top 6 minutes paired with Max Pac.  Would like to see Ryan white up also playing some bottom 6 minutes.  Take your picks on who to sit – plenty of floaters to choose from.

24. Everlasting1 says:

So does this guy drive to the net? Tall enough to screen a goalie?

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

25. otisfxu says:

Can we/should we really get excited about another 5’7″ forward??? Habs scouts have to stop watching midget rassling!! There are bigger players out there….(check rest of NHL teams)

And don’t forget, to get 35 assists, it means your pass was deposited in the net by someone. So assists may be hard to come by playing with this team.

This team is so in need of an old fashioned trade,,,,,,,where are the old Cammy, Pleks, Gionta,,,,,,,??

And please,,,,let’s put an end to the “so much talent” AK era. He sucks. So does Pouliot,

And Jacques,,,,,,tick tick,,,,tick tick,,,,,

26. bertuzzisucks says:

You’re written English is good for Yao Ming.

Are you going to bark all day little doggy?
    Or are you going to bite?

27. TommyB says:

Big?  How big?  Cuz, big trades don’t happen much anymore.  What are you thinking, who are you speculating on?  Who do you see going, and who do you see coming?  I’m not being an ass here, I think something could be cooking too.  I’m just at a loss as to what the names would be because these things never seem to end up the players you would think.

28. MTLForever says:

I am thinking Auld tonight…but you never know since he keeps putting in Price but Price needs a rest.

29. The Cat says:

The team needs a sparkplug so this is good IMO

30. T-Man79 says:

The time has comes Ladies and Gents. DD is here. A big trade is coming up.

31. Mattyleg says:

Hmm, he’s only DTD on Yahoo…

—Hope Springs Eternal—

32. habs913 says:

ah I was wondering how they were able to call up Desharnais without sending someone down

33. scrowe21 says:

I hope he is. Not like Carey has been that great since this slump started either.

34. krob1000 says:

This is encouraging…I just hope the Thrashers aren’t proactive enough to call Gargamel up for Sunday.

35. MTLForever says:

not happy to see Gorges on IR on the Canadiens site.

36. the Maritimer says:

Nothing against David Deharnais and I wish him good luck. I’ve watched him play live and if he’s 5-7, then I’m Yao Ming!

37. scrowe21 says:

no one that can score a goal, thats for sure.

38. TommyB says:

I’m with you on that penalty shot, Chuck.  I did an immediate “wtf?” when the shot was awarded (same as I did when Cammalleri was awarded one about two weeks ago).  That infraction warrants a penalty shot?  The game is quickly becoming a gimmick-filled calamity.  And on the actual penalty shot…I don’t blame Price for being upset about the thing.  You could take the actual rule and twist it around whichever way you want, I guess.  But not so long ago, you had to have the puck ahead of you, and be in a continual motion towards the net.  When you turn around, and have your ass to the goalie and the puck is still ahead of you, that’s no longer in a forward motion, IMO.  But gimmicks are what the NHL is relying on to sell the game today.  Sad.

39. rocketsglare says:

Bringing up Desharnais is an indictment of the team’s underachieving forwards. Embarrassing if you ask me.

40. Captain aHab says:

Max Pax is getting top minutes despite showing up JM by saying he didn’t want to play 3rd or 4th line and I don’t think JM is the kind of a guy who would let a kid get his wish by showing him up. I think Max Pax on the top line was imposed by PG. I’m hoping DD on a top line is equally imposed.

41. MTLForever says:

for those of you who wanted DD, here you go. hope he plays a game this time!

42. krob1000 says:

I hope this works out …Desharnais is leading the AHL in scoring…BUT…Corey Locke is number 2.  I think desharnais is a better skater though and is a little more solid …Locke is 5’9″ 175 …Desharnais is 5’6″ AND 177 …lower base and bigger guy….if desharnais has been smart about his conditioning his size shouldn;t be as much of a factor as one would expect as he will actually have some advantages with his center of gravity being so low…a lot of the bigger guys will actually have difficulty checking him.

43. shiram says:

I’m still hoping for a possibility of either Eller or DD playing winger on the third.

44. TommyB says:

It’s official.  The Habs brass has joined their many fans and are now in full panic mode.  I don’t know what to make of this bringing up Desharnais thing.  Statistically, it sure looks like he could help (and I don’t care about his lack of size).  Statistically, Max Pac looked like he could help.  Well, to be fair, he has helped.  I won’t rag on him.

Here’s the million dollar question:  Was Desharnais brought up to play,  and by play I mean in a real role, not a 3-shift per game cameo appearance?  Or, was he brought up to “shake” some vets.  You know, the threat.  My fear is that it is as a threat.  How else can you look at it when no current roster forwards have been either injured or sent down?  There was much discussion about Desharnais yesterday here on HIO.  I think you guys karma-ed the kid into the lineup.  I shied away from any comments on him because I know very little about him.  I’m aware of him and his stats, but that’s about it.

One thing is clear.  If Max Pac and Desharnais are up to stay, and not just a quick-fix attempt at getting the team back on track and then dumping them back into the AHL, someone else has to go.  Begs the question…why is Desharnais not playing today, and instead, is going to join the team Sunday?  Makes one think something is up.  But then again, this is the Montreal Canadians.  A team I dearly love, but have been befuddled by time after time with some of the moves over the last few years.  Anyway, there is now a real logjam on the forwards end of the roster.  Not everyone can dress.  It will be interesting, both to watch the team and it’s reactions, and to watch the reactions of the HIO faithful.  Buckle up.

45. rocketsglare says:

The key will be who will Desharnais be centering for?

46. Bill says:

Hate to agree with all the negative Nancys who are saying Desharnais isn’t going to be able to help this team’s scoring woes with the seven minutes a game on the 4th line with Pyatt and Moen Martin will give him … But it’s hard not to. He’ll look at someone funny and get benched.

47. avatar_58 says:

So is Auld in tonight? I’d like to know if it’s automatic loss or not

48. Captain aHab says:

Either that or not play him like the last time he was called up.

I hope they bring him up with the intention of giving him good minutes with solid linemates.

49. Chuck says:

I wonder if he packed the milk crate that he stood on for that photo?  😉

Centre Hice: yeah, but was it legal?

50. Chuck says:

Sadly, he wasn’t using his imagination.

Centre Hice: yeah, but was it legal?

51. GrimJim says:

Mr. Boone, you have one vivid and disturbed imagination…

52. Gindan69 says:

Your coach will put him on the 4th line with moen and lappierre and paly him 4 minutes. What’s the point. The same coach who plays to left handed D and two right handed D together. Minimize the offense and chances of mistakes is all he sees.

53. Hoegarden says:

Good news. Give him 10 games minimum on a line with MaxPac and AK46. No 3rd or 4th line duty.

54. PrimeTime says:

I like that PG is exploring all resources to right the ship. Wiz was essential to filling a team need, Pac and DD called to try to add some scoring. If this doesn’t change the direction this team is heading then PG knows that changes need to be made within the organization ie. Coaching; Key players