Canadiens prepare for year-ender

LouisLeblanc
One more game, against the Florida Panthers, and 2011 is in the books.
Your Montreal Canadiens’ regular-season record this calendar year: 37-31-13.
But hey, they took the eventual Stanley Cup champions to overtime of a seventh game in something called “the playoffs.”

Pat Hickey’s game story

Quotes from the room: “Those five minutes just killed us” – David Desharnais

Pierre Ladouceur’s game report card

Wyman plays key role

Hickey on Martin St. Louis wearing eye protection

Red Fisher is not a fan of the Winter Classic

Get ready for tough CBA talks

Ron James on Don Cherry: “a nutty uncle mowing the lawn in his underwear”

1. HabsFansince49 says:

I’m astonished & disappointed that Mike Boone suggests Carbonneau as potential coach. Haven’t we learned any lessons about the last 15 or so years? Good grief! Time the change the old (whole) guard. Equally disappointed (read “disgusted”) that this site has a poll for next coach. I feel bad for Cunneyworth. He was handed the job by an inept organization, badly managed for years and lacking vision. And this site posts a poll about the next coach. Nice kick in the teeth HIO. As they say in England “What a load of wankers!”.

• solomio says:

I believe that Carbo was learned a lot since his firing and has had a lot of time to reflect on how to coach. I really think you couldn’t do any better at this juncture. Give him 2 years and that is only if Cunneyworth doesn’t learn to speak French.
      If Habs get straight under RC and he learns how to parlez vous in the off season he should be given another year.

“I figure PG has one or 2 moves left to bring the Habs that extra step closer to perhaps being the best in the league.” – Einstein

• powdered toastmann says:

+1000 to HabsFansince49 for his post

So Ted Nolan will be coaching Latvia at the upcoming World Championships. I still believe this guy would be an excellent coach in the NHL. Feel bad for him getting black balled by John Muckler.

• He slept with Hasak’s wife, people like that don’t have good things happen to them. How many times has Pronger been moved around for no reason? Hockey karma got him though. I’m sure there are others too. All hockey drama of course, and too be expected considering they play like it’s a frigin soap opera stars.

The Golden Jet had a great story running around Winnipeg, but that was before my time. (Silvia from CTV may be able to help :)).

Maybe I’ll start up a TMZ for the NHL, and the fans. Ahhh no!

Shane Oliver
      http://www.Sholi2000.com Inc.
      Custom Sports Figures
      Brandon, MB,Canada
      R7B 2R7
      hockey@sholi2000.com
      Ph- 204 724 8418

• The Cat says:

Im sure theres been many affairs in the hockey world, why has it made Nolan unhirable? Some say hes a gm killer because hes good friemds with the owners, well that then begs the question -why did the owners allow him to get fired? Theres nothing that makes sense, theres something we dont know.

3. NightRyder says:

Congrats to Hal Gill who outscored Scott Gomez 3-2 in 2011.

New Poll question, Who will see game action first, Markov or The Wiz returning from his fractured ankle?

5. HABZ24 says:

looks like cunnyworth went tortarella on their azz because we are playing with guts emotion jam passion desire desperation whatever you wanna call it weve got it back got a long way to proving it consistantly but were back.

GO HABS GO

6. Les Canayens says:

Something Price did that Rinne cannot do.

☞ I can’t really hear what Jeremy says, because I’ve got my two Stanley Cup rings plugging my ears.☜

• DickandDanny says:

From my take and in speaking with others who are in the know the Wyman goal should not have been allowed. It also should not have been reviewed.

According to rule 78.5 (xii) Disallowed Goals – Apparent goals shall be disallowed by the Referee when the Referee deems the play has been stopped, even if he had not physically had the opportunity to stop play by blowing his whistle.

38.4 Situations Subject to Video Review – The following situations are subject to review by the Video Goal Judge: I checked each category under this heading and there is no review mentioned for situations when the puck enters the net following the blowing of the whistle. This Goal can’t be reviewed.

We got jobbed again. I don’t recall this happening in the old days. Maybe it’s payback, don’t know but I have never seen so many calls go against us. And wrong calls at that.

“A cannonading blast from the wing, by Lafleur”

• habfan01 says:

That’s what I said yesterday. I’ve heard many announcers state that a goal can not be reviewed to determine if it went in before or after a whistle. And the Ref behind the net waved his arms to signal no goal.

• I emailed Kerry Fraser on that play. No reply, he’s busy receiving offers to come back to the NHLOA to instruct these guys on how to be referees.

Shane Oliver
        http://www.Sholi2000.com Inc.
        Custom Sports Figures
        Brandon, MB,Canada
        R7B 2R7
        hockey@sholi2000.com
        Ph- 204 724 8418

• Un Canadien errant says:

Thanks for the research DandD. I was kind of taking it on faith that at least the letter of the refs’ interpretation was right, and was waiting for Kerry Fraser’s analysis. This one seems hard to justify.

I guess the reason I’m not too upset, aside from the way we don’t get calls compared to, oh, other teams that commit so many infractions the refs blush when they have to blow the whistler, and let a few dozen slide by, is that I couldn’t blame the loss on that goal. The Canadiens let another lead slip, that’s my view of this game, not skullduggery by the officials.

———————————
        How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

• New says:

You’re right. However the puck crossed the line just before the whistle blew. The goal can stand only if the refs decide to ignore the rule portion about “deciding”. They blew that (no pun) by video reviewing it. They made a mistake in deciding to blow the whistle when the puck was loose but it is an honest mistake and the league would have been able to stand behind it. Benefit of doubt should have gone to Montreal and a sorry to Tampa.

The second questionable goal is not posted by the NHL on video for a reason I suppose.

Homer game by the NHL.

• J.J. of Turku says:

And if he keeps on practicing, he may some day be almost as good as Rinne.

7. PureGuava says:

I think we should claim….Avery.

“Of course I’m crazy, but that doesn’t mean I’m wrong.”
    – Robert Anton Wilson

8. JohnBellyful says:

There’s been some good suggestions made about rejigging the draft system so as not to reward losers with high draft picks. Here’s another suggestion to consider (preferably after a few drinks):
    Why should the teams out of the playoffs get to enjoy a long summer and more recovery time so that they’re well-rested for the start of the next season, giving them an unfair advantage over post-season clubs?
    They should have their own playoffs to decide the order of selection in draft.
    The first round would see the No. 14 team (the best of the losers) play the No. 1 team (the worst of the losers), the No. 13 team play the No. 2 team, and so on.
    Each series would be best-of-three.
    In the second round, with seven teams as victors, the winner of the No.14-No.1 series would get a bye. The second, third and fourth rounds, however, would be sudden death (one match only to decide the winner of each series).
    The new format would extend the playoffs to cities not accustomed to them, to the delight of their long-suffering fans, and not automatically award a No. 1 pick to a team whose sole distinction was to achieve a pinnacle of futility.
    Bonus: it would give broadcasters more options for playoff coverage (‘What do you think, Bill, should we go with Boston-Toronto to open the playoffs, or focus on Dallas-Columbus in the opener of the consolation round?’)

• TorontoHabsFan says:

Wouldn’t you need to account for the new division/conference format that’s rolling out next season.?

I’m not sure that ranking the non-playoff teams from 17 to 30 will make all that much sense…or maybe I need to drink some more :D

• JohnBellyful says:

I probably should account for the new format next season but then I’m a no-account kind of person.
        Let me imbibe a bit more and see what I can come up with …

Pistols at dawn!

• HabFab says:

Interesting, an “A” and a “B” cup!
      Strange desire to include a “D” cup, not sure why hmmm!
      Sounds good and more revenue for the owners too!
      Again strange feelings, more like a tightening sensation in my lower body…oh well!
      Let’s put it to the vote shall we? All in favour say yea!

• JohnBellyful says:

Weird, I had those strange feelings, too, just before the idea emerged.
        I’ll be the first to admit there are some drawbacks — I’ll leave it to others to enumerate — but I think the principle is a sound one that requires nothing more than a bit of fine-tuning in the application.

• ProHabs says:

As crazy as that idea sounds, I love it. At least every team will be included in some sort of playoff.

Just to add more spice to it, I would add that the first team eliminated from the consolation round would have to select 10 of their players to appear on Battle of the BLades.

9. TorontoHabsFan says:

Not really relevant to anything at all – but yowzers is Malin Ackerman in The Watchmen ever attractive!

10. ProHabs says:

Just looking at the boxscore of the Rangers game tonight and can’t help but shead a tear over the Gomez – McDonagh trade again. I know I should get over it but I just can’t. Maybe when McDonagh finally retires after winning a couple of Norris trophy I will be able to move on.

• HabFab says:

I don’t think McDonagh is going to win too many Norris Trophy’s. And as a long time Prospect watcher, he had seemed to regress that season prior to the trade. But if you need to vent…

• ProHabs says:

Thanks man. My wife is tired of listening to me complaining about that trade. She just tunes me out now.

• theox_8 says:

I get the same way about the ribeiro trade, my dad still tells me to shut up when i mention it. I just loved his play making skills way back when, I too must get over that trade….

• Les Canayens says:

Just before Ribeiro was traded he was paired with Kovalev, and I was looking forward to see two nifty guys in the same trio.

• avatar_58 says:

I *still* get annoyed seeing his name in highlights. I wish they could get him back

• ProHabs says:

I wonder what Janne Niinimaa is doing these days.

• solomio says:

Ribeiro was a douche, no work ethic and no guts.

• otter649 says:

McDonagh a solid player but not a star player bla bla like some bald head announcer from Verus/NBC likes to harp about
      who is not going to make any all star teams or win an individual trophies…..

The round robin section of the World Jr.’s seems to be getting worse each year. I don’t understand why this tournament isn’t a 6 team tourney (aside from the money grab side of it).

• HabFab says:

Especially considering the the Teams that won the two top spots in the “B” tournament the previous year are not the same team that shows up to the “A” tournament this year.
      However it is all about hope, much like our dreams for this season. Which for myself is becoming harder and harder to maintain…”sigh”

• otter649 says:

The tournament this year is making a mininium of 20 million dollars for Hockey Canada who then distributes funds to various hockey associations etc…..

12. Cecker50 says:

I keep reading all these comments about trading Gionta. Since his injury the Habs have went 2-7. He may not be having the best season point wise but his leadership could have won us those tough lost games.

agree.

• Un Canadien errant says:

If by trading Brian Gionta we mean give up a trusted veteran to a contender for a valuable propect/draft picks, then I’m in.

Unfortunately, a lot of posters are on a Tank&Embiggen™ hobbyhorse, and they lump Mike Cammalleri and Brian Gionta with Scott Gomez, and add in Tomas Plekanec and David Desharnais to that pile, with half our defencemen. They want a sacrificial, cathartic pyre rather than a few judicious trades to help us in the future.

———————————
      How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

13. HabFab says:

For the Prospect watchers, Dustin Walsh is back from his injury and playing tonight for Dartmouth with an assist so far.

14. HabFab says:

Strange, “mods” cleaned up this page of not so offensive drivel and left the crap on the previous page.
    Are our “mods” NHL officials?

15. AnimalMother says:

If PG/GM/RC, dont care which one, aren’t trying to package any group of old/young/good/terrible players for bobby Ryan, then we are hopeless. He is a perfect young/big talent that the Habs could rebuild around. Do it!!!!

16. Neutral says:

Habs trades should be about good young players – no more players finishing of their careers – too many on board right now – lets try to build a winning team the fans deserve it…..

17. jsmaximus says:

After watching the Tampa Bay debacle, I am solidly of the opinion that Molson needs to act sooner rather than later. Cunneyworth might be a nice chap but he is completely out of his depth with the Canadiens. He needs to go, as does Gauthier, Cammalleri, Gionta, Gomez and Price. I know Price’s inclusion on this list will spark outrage but it is time to face facts: He is not good enough to backstop Montreal. The truth is that if Gauthier had inked a decent backup, Price would be playing circa 2009-10.

18. HabFab says:

Lot of talk tonight about Morgan Ellis being traded to Shawinigan, who are hosting the Memorial Cup (I believe) and would be playing with Bournival on the 5th ranked team in the CHL.

EDIT: Confirmed

19. habstrinifan says:

See Eklund is ‘following’ a Caps-Flames deal. Semin for Iginla.

I would be very upset if this happens cause I think we could come up with a better ‘package’ and that Mtl is a better place for Iginla than Washington.

• Rob D says:

LOve Iggy, but I want this team younger and don’t want to take on a huge salary for yet another over 30 guy, no matter who it is.
      We need to find potential leaders and players in their early 20’s. It’s rebuild time.

• ABHabsfan says:

Jay Feester would be run out of Calgary if he makes that deal. No way Iginla gets traded for a Russian , especially Semin. Remember that “fight” he was in when it looked like he was playing paddy-cake? Habs have a better chance of trading Kaberle for Iginla

20. nfldanchor says:

Sean Avery should be brought in to Montreal to toughen up the lineup and add a bit of grit to the team. Sure he can be a loose cannon ,but perhaps thats what they need to stir things up.

21. G-Man says:

At this time of year, it is customary to give a nudge and a wink to old ladies and to give HardHabits and his Tank Brigade™ something to hum while they await 2015.
    Forgive me, Bob Hope:

Tanks for the memories
    Of plays we can’t forget
    of missing open nets
    That wondrous week of a winning streak
    When I won some bets
    Oh, Tank you so much.

And tanks for the memories
    Of a center we call Pleks,
    who wears blue turtlenecks.
    Emelin who is smackin ‘em
    But then both Gomer and Gionta
    Not producing like they ought ta.

Tanks for the memories
    Of Eller a number 2
    whose scoring is rare and who
    Is not really a minus
    unless you miss you-know-who
    Oh, Tank you so much.

Tanks for the memories
    Of how the Habs would win
    and losing was a sin.
    When all those great players
    without the nay-sayers
    paraded down Ste-Catherine,
    Oh, Tank you so much.

Tanks for the memories
    Of coaches thrown away
    and GMs that they say
    couldn’t make a trade to save their jobs
    and blow HIO posters away,
    Oh, Tank you so much.

Gone are those twenty-four
    They reach out from the past
    And pinch us on the a**
    And now we see the Habs we love
    Are nothing but a tease
    Oh, tank you so much.

22. matt jordan says:

The Canadiens cap hit for Markov, Kaberle and Gomez is over 17 million dollars, and they have not contributed one goal this season.

Good thing all three are locked up through 2014 so they all have plenty of time to make amends.

23. ont fan says:

How would you like to be there wife or girlfriend.

24. Bobcat Bob says:

Bobcat Bob
    Continue to be amazed at the negativism on this site. This is not a bad team at all. I hope they make the majority of you eat your words. Go Habs Go

25. Mr. Biter says:

Quick question at this time who would be worth their contracts:
    1) Wiz for $5.5 Mil
    2) markov for $5.75Mi.

Mr. Biter

• habs03 says:

Wiz for 6 years, Markov for 3 years. I’ll take a risk on Markov again.

• Kooch7800 says:

out with a broken ankle now

• Danno says:

At least six weeks probably much more. Not much of a season this year.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

• Mr. Biter says:

Is Wiz out with a broken ankle, or just a slight poke at Markov. remember Dr. Baddanoff and his X-ray Tech. Natashia assured PG that Markov would be fit to play in October. Russians Doctors never lie…………..

Mr. Biter

• CharlieHodgeFan says:

Markov, should he return, is a skilled defenceman with offensive abilities superior to what Wiz offered. And Wiz can’t play D especially well. If I had to gamble, I would (gulp) do what PG did and gamble on Markov. All around skilled players trump one dimensional ones every time.

• Exit716 says:

How do you know whether Markov will even be anywhere close to what he was? The big gaffe this off season was kicking Gorges around and giving him a one year deal. That smacks of arrogance and stupdity on the part of Gauthier. Couldn’t give Gorges a multi year deal. Nope. No way. It will bite the Habs in the ass when push comes to shove, just like it did with Plekanec.
        It’s time for Molson to realize that his upper management doesn’t have a plan at all.

• The Dude says:

DUSTIN RAY BYFUGLIN 5years at $25 million…go big or get away from me! Remember when we could of bid on the Sedin twins….

26. keepthefaith says:

Space dude space. Like the empty one in your head

27. The Jackal says:

Before the axe fell on Carbo’s head the atmosphere on this site and I guess around the Habs was that doom and gloom feeling that the team is crap and not good enough, along with the coach/GM. That following off season we got Gio, Gomez, and Cammy, along with other players and let our supposedly rotten players go.
    Now people are calling for the same, let go of X and keep Y, hire this guy, etc. I think this is mostly a bad season, JM wasn’t doing too badly and RC hasn’t done that great either. That doesn’t mean the team is totally lost. We have some players that are past their prime but I think the issue is that of confidence, we didn’t get off to a good start and the negativity has been around the entire season. I think we need to take a step back before making any crazy conclusions.

28. HabFab says:

Czechs beat the Americans…wow!

29. Mr. Biter says:

That game sucked to lose as we out played Tampa and 3 lucky/bad goals WTF. Also don’t want to rag on the 4th goal but Cole let his check go and it cost us the game, but Cole is turning out to be one of our best players so I’m giving him a pass. I don’t understand why certain posters dislike of DD. When they move players to his line they start scoring yet in their eyes he can do nothing right. Yollips all of you. Pleks is however not playing well as when players leave his line they begin to score. This is a concern. BTW 2nd goal was whistled dead and should not have counted however no one touch MAB’s blast from the point. Worst of all Stayed up till 2;00 watching the game on Tampa game replay. That really sucked. Would have been worth it if Habs had won.

Mr. Biter

30. keepthefaith says:

If you hate the players, hate the management, see no hope for future, than beat it. 29 other teams to cheer for. You will not be missed. We have enough Nordique fans to get rid of.

31. Rocketnewfy31 says:

Ummm… is it just me or is Thomas Plekanec just not feeling it this year. It seems like anyone who plays on his line (ex. AK and Cammi) just seem to disappear but when AK was on the line with Eller and Moen he was generating things. Cammi who prior to be putting on a line with DD and LL didn’t score a goal in 9 games I believe it was and has since played 2 games with them and has 2 goals, what is up with that? To me it just doesnt seem like Pleky has it going like he did the past 2 years. Also AK got an assist last night but it wasnt when Pleks was on the ice it was Cammy and DD. I dont know if I am off here or not?
    Rocketnewfy

• Rocketnewfy31 says:

dont forget the slow start Cole had at the beginning of the year when he was on the line with Pleks i know hes the leading scorer and on pace for 69 points but I dont feel like he is at his 100% potential
      Rocketnewfy

• SnowManHabs85 says:

Plekanec has been playing in every kind of role this season. I think he’s just been overused, but he’s still our leader in points.

“Responding to the media , or playing to the media, or listening to the fans is the quickest way to start losing” – Sam Pollock

• vegas says:

so there may lie the solution
      when everyone gets back
      Maxpac / Eller / AK
      Cammalleri / DD / Cole
      Gomez / Plekanek / Gionta
      Moen / Noks / White
      Darche
      Blunden and Leblanc back to Hamilton

32. HabFanSince72 says:

Meanwhile, remember the Leafs?

Remember how they were in first place in the East? Remember how Brian Burke’s genius was finally vindicated? Remember the contract extension they gave to Ron Wilson?

The Leafs have won only 3 of their last 10, and 9 of their last 24, and are now barely hanging on to 8th place.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Then again – have a look at the Bulldogs’ roster:

There is not a single prospect on that team. Especially on D.

• Les Canayens says:

LOL I live in Taranna and everyone was so giddy when they were 1st in the east for like what, a few days? Even the regular newscasters talked about it with such eagerness like they’ve never experienced such thing as having a good team in their city (Jays, Raptors, Toronto FC, Argos are all so-so in recent years)

Although the Ron Wilson extension happened only days ago, long after their early season euphoric wins.

33. ooder says:

i think the Czechs are trying to set a record with penalties

——————
    The 2010-11 Stanley Cup was not won, but given

34. JIMVINNY says:

Tinordi’s D partner just hung his forward out to dry, and the Czechs tie it up at 2.

35. Bripro says:

Alright!
    Off to Guiness and friday night poker, boys and girls.
    Try not to kill each other while I’m gone!
    Have a great one!

36. TorontoHabsFan says:

Pribyl with an assist on CZE’s tying goal.