Canadiens prep for Jets

Gorges
One more day of practice before the 2012 schedule begins with a visit by the Winnipeg Jets.
The Canadiens will play eight of their 11 January games at the Bell Centre – where they are 5-7-6 this season.

Hickey: Best players have to step up

Pierre Gauthier speaks

Red Fisher on Gauthier

The language issue

Pierre Ladouceur’s report card

The Krys Barch incident

Feature on Brendan Gallagher

1. ZepFan2 says:

@Habsfan

“(Molson-Coors – who do own a small share of the team)”

No sir, they no longer own any part of the team.

“The company also gained $46 million as a result of the sale of its 19.9% controlling interest in the Montréal Canadiens NHL team.”

———————————————————————-
    Welcome to the newer NHL: The National Headshot League.

2. Natrous says:

In Boone’s article about Gorges re-signing, he said:

“The general manager cited an interesting stat: In only four of their first 39 games have the salaries of the players in uniform exceeded the league-mandated cap floor.”

How is this possible, if there were only a few scratches early in the season and throughout? I get it if Markov, Gomez, Gio and a few other guys are on the IR as they are right now, but that hasn’t been the case all year. Can someone explain this?

• dorvalhabsfan says:

its called 20 million in injuries

Go Habs Go

• Natrous says:

Thanks Dorval, super insightful response.

My tally with Markov (5.75M), Campoli (1.75M), White (625k), Nash (900k), Gomez (7.3M), Gionta (5M) is around 21M in cap space, however Gomez and Gionta haven’t been out all season.

How did Gauthier come up with only 4 out of 39 games being over $48.3M in roster bucks??

3. dorvalhabsfan says:

SmartDog asked this a little earlier on figured it was fun so i repost

5 Management/GM QUESTIONS:

1. How long until PG takes his place on the unemployed line?
    2. If you were the GM, would you be more focused on making the playoffs THIS year, or winning a cup in the coming years?
    3. Which year would you target as a peak?
    4. If the Panthers want a forward from us to help with their playoff push, who’s the best guy you’d be willing to part with?4.
    5. If someone wanted a center (not including Gomez) who would you be willing to part with of Eller, DD, Pleks?

SD

• dorvalhabsfan says:

1. After next season.. he will hire his own coach, retool in the offseason and allow his body of work to be judged then.. Lindy ruff had crap teams in buffalo.. loyalty can reap success.
      2.winning a cup.. this season is a lost cause.. the will to play doesnt seem to be there.. trade who id expendable (im looking at that gomez gionta cammy and markov 30 mill being spent) trade some of these fro picks or prospects, keep one or two to show young guns what its like to be a NHLer
      3. 3-4 years from now.. beaulieu tinordi louie will be hitting their performance years while subban price eller pac and (hopefully) emelin will be at their peak..
      4. i would trade someone like those mentioned above.. hopefully get fleischmann or gudbransson (i can dream about that last one)
      5. DD, his size will catch up to him in the form of injuries..

Go Habs Go

• get_real says:

We have a long way to go before talking strong playoff run. BG & GG have shattered the depth of this team for the next 3-5 years. Just sketch a depth chart with the HABS FAN BLINDER.. not to mention what do we have to tade with .. Montreal or Bulldogs?

They bet on T-Shirt sales guys like Price & Subban which are really not that skilled .. trust me and time will tell.

Too bad

4. Bobcat Bob says:

Bobcat Bob
    @Danno — You are correct Rocket!!!! What I have been saying all along. 86 potential points are yet to be had. Sure Habs wouldn’t get all of them but it is insanity to write this team off at this juncture. Give me a completely healthy team for the last half of the season and the playoffs are doable. As for the teams ahead of us Leafs, Ottawa, Devils – they have all overachieved in the first half – watch them pulmet in the 2nd half — Leafs have already stared to do so. Go Habs Go leave the tanking to the many negative nellies on this site.

5. JustSomeguy says:

Both the Herald article and the one from the Globe about the incident mention that both of PK’s parents are from Jamaica, but I always thought they were from two different islands, Jamaica and Monserrat (source: http://www.thestar.com/article/288399 ). What’s funny is that PK’s Wikipedia entry references The Star’s article as the source for his parents’ birthplace, but disagrees with the Star.

Weird thing, that.

If a story turns on where a guys’ parents are from, shouldn’t the journalist dig deeper than Wikipedia?

6. That’s just it jon514. This team has lost 15 games by one goal. That tells me they are good enough to beat any team. So tanking isn’t an option. If they were as bad as NYI, or Cbj, than it’s a given that they are playing for draft position.

It’s a good thing that 6-15 in standings are all sucking right now. Most likely the Habs get in or out on the last day of the the reg season.

I can already see it. April 7th, Leafs vs Canadiens, winner gets into the playoffs.

Shane Oliver
    http://www.Sholi2000.com Inc.
    Custom Sports Figures
    Brandon, MB,Canada
    R7B 2R7
    hockey@sholi2000.com
    Ph- 204 724 8418

• The Cat says:

Losing by 1 goal means little in terms of strength, most teams lose the bulk of their losses by 1 goal.

• jon514 says:

@Sholi: I hope you’re right! But I suspect this will continue to the detriment of our younger guys. Gio, Cammy, AK have lots of value on the market as rentals / re-building wingers. These are good players, who just can’t seem to make it happen here in the reg season. Gio and Cammy in particular really bring it in the playoffs. All 3 of these guys are 30 goal / 50 pt scorers. But this season all 3 of them are heading for career lows. 1 or 2 guys I can understand, but for our 3 biggest scoring threats to be tanking this way… it’s such a waste! Of ice time for us, and of god given talent for these guys.

Occupy the Bell Center! Stop the `Gomez Trickle Down Effect`!!
      “Let’s be clear on the facts…”

7. jon514 says:

I’ve been tearing into friends / fans who say the habs have to become sellers and clean house / acquire some picks, mostly cause I know what these guys can do when properly coached / motivated, and because I think people tend to overestimate the value of youth vs. veterans.

But I’m changing my tune. I’m done with these heartless players who don’t seem to understand how fortunate they are to play here. The veterans and prime aged guys on the team are completely underwhelming, and the youth is a work in progress.

I say if they can tank the season and draft 2 players in the top 10, do it! We need new blood and a new way of doing things.

“Let’s be clear on the facts…”

8. Chuck says:

Gotta love the poll in the Miami Herald article:

If the NHL were to stage one of its future Winter Classic outdoor games at the new Marlins ballpark, would you attend?

Maybe if they played on rollerblades…

9. JF says:

For those who still think we have a chance of making the playoffs, Pierre Ladouceur says it best: good teams find a way to win games, bad teams find a way to lose them. The Habs are a bad team. We’ve found a way to lose 15 games this season in which we held a lead. The chances of our going on the kind of sustained winning streak we would need to make the playoffs are about nil. Under Randy Cunneyworth, the only game we’ve won was one in which we faced a goaltender on a terrible night. When the opposing goaltender is on his game, we might score first, but we are utterly incapable of holding onto a lead because of defensive breakdowns, individual errors, lack of mental toughness and confidence, and momentary loss of focus by Price. The fact posted by Habs03 is instructive: since JM was fired, we have fallen from being in the top ten in 5-on-5 scoring to being in the bottom half of the league.

Since the beginning of the season when things started unravelling, I’ve thought the team should stick with Jacques Martin for the duration of the season. Not only was he doing a decent job with the roster he had (no Markov, no effective fourth line, a lot of inexperienced defencemen), but there seemed to be no one else at all out there who could do better. Also, panic moves rarely pay off.

10. Cecker50 says:

I knew it!! NBC is the reason the Habs Lose! Thank you Tortorella for pointing it out.

I’m trying to get some info on a hockey book entitled, “Behind The Moves” by Jason Farris.

Has anyone seen it around in book stores such as Indigo and Chapters? Cost? Have you read it? Feedback?

12. Hobie Hansen says:

I hate to say “I told you so” but I was on here for months or even a year saying Martin was the best man for the job.

This team is small, the defense is small and if we opened up and starting trading scoring chances that we’d come out on the losing end.

Maybe if Gomez was playing like a real $ 7 million player and Gauthier didn’t do a half ass job with defense by signing guys like Campoli, Kaberle and even though Diaz is putting up some numbers, HE”S TINY!!!!!!!!!

The only way this team can win at the moment is by using a Martin or Lemaire type system.

If Gionta, Gomez, Cammalleri, Desharnais, Plekanec, Gorges, Subban and Diaz grew a couple inches, added some muscle and a few of them lived up to their contacts, then maybe we could afford to open up.

We’re a couple power forwards and a couple nasty and tough defenseman and even a goon away folks. So it is defense first or bust.

• G-Man says:

PG panicked and the result is 1W and 6 more Ls. But, aren’t they more exciting to watch? No? ;)

• The Cat says:

We all know that. Is the JM way good enough for the habs though? To turtle around the net blocking shots etc, its like Trinidad and Tobago playing 10 men back in soccer and losing 1-0. Stuff like that should be beneath the habs. THe flyers can change their ‘image’ in a year why cant the habs?

• G-Man says:

Your disclaimer forces me to not respond. You don’t care, anyways! ;)

• The Cat says:

It says I care but not as much as you ;) In essense it means I watch the games when I can but the thought of calling 9-11 when a habs player gets drilled doesnt enter my mind.

• habstrinifan says:

Hey! Watch it with those Trinidad and Tobago jokes eh! You think Pleks ad Subban was a tussle between friends. You aint seen nothing yet until you see a half-drunk Trini in a fake fight. So fair warning.

Yours truly,
        Habstrinifan,
        Moruga junior stick-fighting jouvert champion 1960-1962.

• Ozmodiar says:

Agreed that JM got the most out of this line-up. Also agreed with the firing, paradoxically.

They couldn’t stick with the status quo if they hoped to turn things around this season. More importantly, i think they had to evaluate the roster under a new head coach (and Carrierre as assistant) to get a better idea of who they’ll want to keep going into next year.

13. habs03 says:

With JM this season, 13-12-7, top 10 in shots vs, shots for, pk, and more importantly 5 on 5 scoring. Since JM being fired, 1-5, we are in the bottom half in shots for, and 5 on 5 scoring now. We needed a new coach, but it should have been done in the offseason, JM simply gets the most of what he has, and his teams compete. Where is everyone that was saying the team didn’t want to play for him?

• G-Man says:

They’re the same one crying out that RC has to be given a “chance.”

• habsnyc says:

They were fading fast in 5 on 5 scoring after Gomez and Gionta were injured. I agree with you though. My only criticism of JM was his misuse of Cole – on the third line with no PP time – to start the season. I blame PG for not having a roster of NHL players to start the season.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

14. DorvalTony
    January 3, 2012 at 12:17 am

Price is 21st in the NHL, should be cheap.

Josh is 341st position in scoring. So because he blocks shots and everyone likes him he gets double the price of any other defensemen (his style) in the league? No, he gets double the price because it takes a pile of money to get any player to stay in Montreal.

Try again Tony.

With all this crap going on, why would any player want to play here. Because it’s the Montreal Canadiens? No, those glory days are completely gone with that wonderful press conference we heard yesterday.

“I’m sorry if we upset anyone”

It goes against everything I have ever learned about man management and organizational skills.

The french population is ruining this team. Management is trying to please them and the team when their loyalties should be with Molson.

When you cheer in the Bell you hear GO HABS GO, not Aller Habs Aller.

Sick of the drama, I want Hockey!

Shane Oliver
    http://www.Sholi2000.com Inc.
    Custom Sports Figures
    Brandon, MB,Canada
    R7B 2R7
    hockey@sholi2000.com
    Ph- 204 724 8418

15. HabFanSince72 says:

We don’t know what Krys Barch is alleged to have said, but who wants to bet that we are about to learn the Mr Barch (10 goals, 555 penalty minutes in 5 NHL seasons) is a “family man”?

Have a huge dilimma this evening, for some reason I said yes to a buddy and am going to the Leafs/Lightning game, I have no idea what to cheer for except lower beer prices. I guess I can cheer multiple aggravating minor injuries to both teams so as to either help the Habs or cause them to need make trades.

Will wear my Team Canada jersey to the game.

Then Saturday I take my nephew (who was born in Wpg) to the Sabres / Jets tilt down in Buffalo, Anchor Bar followed by hockey and I will be in my vintage Jets circa 84 jersey and hat.

17. SmartDog says:

5 Management/GM QUESTIONS:

1. How long until PG takes his place on the unemployed line?
    3. Which year would you target as a peak?

SD

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• G-Man says:

1. Probably this June before the Draft.
      2. Too loaded a question. It is still possible to make the playoffs AND win the Cup THIS season. Possible, but not probable.
      3. Each and every year. Too many variables like injuries and production from different players to just blindly point at some vague season and say that one.
      4. AK for a 1st or a 2nd.
      5. Pleks, Eller and DD, in that order.

• HabFanSince72 says:

1. Perhaps the Habs would keep him even if they named a new GM.

2. This is a silly question. There is no way we win the cup this year.

3. You would continue to try to ice a competitive team every year. The short term and the long term plans are nit mutually exclusive.

4. AK46. His scoring stats belie the fact that he is not a very useful player. Often “dans la lune”. Rarely steps up for big games.

5. This is like asking what would you rather sell on ebay, your car, your slightly used toaster oven, or a stained necktie. Obviously it depends on the return, which would be considerably higher for Pleks than the other two.

Great answers to all questions.

• SmartDog says:

I agree with your answer to #2. Some people seem to think you can go for gold every year. To me that’s being out of touch not just with current reality but with the reality that strategy and sometimes sacrifice is part of winning. You have to use your assets better than the Montreal Canadiens have in the last decade. Short term greed is a big part of our long term cup drought.

————————————-
        Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• pierre lapuck says:

1. in the spring, a day or two after the season ends and the boys are golfing with the Leafs.
      2. move this team forward….
      3. 2013/14
      4. AK46, lots of talent no fire in the gut.
      5. Pleks or DD.

• habsnyc says:

1. not for a while, he will not be unemployed, just not gm – i think he would be great in the PR department
      2. those two goals are not mutally exclusive
      3. 1979
      4. plekanec
      5. all

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

Love that the pole question is now a hindsight based question. Perfect fit for this venue.

• Danno says:

It would be interesting to see what the results would have been if the poll was asked on the day of the firing. I am sure there would not be such a split as there is today.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

• Strummer says:

More like “the devil you know” or “be careful what you wish for”

______________________________________________________
        “You have to be this tall to ride on this ride”
        -as posted in amusement parks across North America

19. Bertuzzi says:

The players need to do what is best for the team and lose as many games as possible. They better not let their foolish pride get in the way.

20. veryhabby says:

I’m all for trading away UFAs, and Cammy. I have to believe that Gomez is shortly done with us in MTL. so getting rid of 2 of our smaller underperforming top 6 players is a huge move. Keep Gia and Pleks.

I think Cammy, AK can get us the biggest returns. But realize that teams wanting these guys will be drafting later in the 1st round. so I hope that our GM will go after team’s better prospects. I don’t expect their #1 prospects….but some that are near the top of their charts. (kind of like an Eller move). Late 1st round picks have gotten the Habs nowhere the last few decades. So I hope we don’t go that way at trade deadline.

As for tanking. You can wish for that all you want, but there is no way a team will purposely do that. How can you have 23 guys all agree to tank. Never happen. But do not fret. There really is no reason to feel that they should move up lots in the standings. Especailly if we do trade some players away. We should get a good draft pick, top 10 for sure. Key is to not mess up that pick!

• HabFanSince72 says:

Tanking wouldn’t involve collusion.

It might however result from trading away some veterans, starting Budaj more often (guaranteed losses there), and playing guys like Palushaj, Weber, etc … regularly. It isn’t tanking per se, but a rational response to the fact that we are not contenders this year.

21. AndyF says:

So… umm… two rounds in the playoffs (at best)…
    OR
    Grigorenko or Yakupov
    ?

Which do you prefer? And which of those choices, if selected, could be more certain?

22. the gonk says:

I’m all for a trade with Florida or Washington or whomever if it lands us a top pick or quality prospect. However I just don’t see it happening because as long as we are contention (no matter how meager a chance) for that last playoff spot, the thinking will be to stay the course or else add a player. The problem is that the future isn’t now, we are not a contender, and the relatively brave and forward looking approach of dumping salary or pending free agents hasn’t been evident. I’d be sending guys like Kostitsyn, Cammy, Moen and Gionta out the door if the returns were there. Gill and Campoli too. I just don’t think that’s on management’s radar nor am I confident that if it was it could get proper value.

• Marc10 says:

Well, PG implied giving the boys another 15 games…

I think he’ll be forced into it. Markov won’t be back until after the All-Star Break and… si la tendance se maintien

We’re not going to go much above .500 in the next 15 with this lineup, so there’s every chance we’ll see a major spring cleaning. PG is going to be a busy boy at the break. He might want to get himself a deal for luxury box…

Incidentally, the highlights from the Winter Classic were awesome. Those two teams went at each other big time.

I wish GG never sold the Habs. Then maybe Gainey could have done what was right when he had all those UFA’s to shop. Traded players for picks and missed the play-offs. Rather than make his disastrous and patch work foray into free agency to quickly assemble a team just barely capable of making the play-offs he could have built proper and instead of looking at a team in decline whose next two years looks worse Habs fans would be seeing a team on the rise where the future looks bright. Were those 2 home games really worth it? Instead what Hab fans have to endure now is organization hell bent on making the play-offs at all costs because it has to maintain the once you make the play-offs anything can happen illusion in order to keep the seats warm at the Phone Booth.

Habs fans need to wake up and realize that it is snake oil they are being sold. Habs fans are just not that bright.

BTW. Gallagher is doing OK at the WJC, most shots and only 2 goals. Bournival is -1 with 1 point and Beaulieu is +/- 0 and 16 PIM, highest on the team. If you look at the Team Canada roster the Habs have quantity but not quality.

Plus ca change…

• HabFanSince72 says:

GG always gave Gainey carte blanche.

Also, GG still owned the team when Gainey decided to keep all the pending UFAs in February 2009. He also still owned the team when Gainey signed all the free agents that summer.

So the Molsons actually had nothing to do with these decisions.

• SmartDog says:

Good post (even if your facts were corrected by HFS72…).
      But I agree with the notion that no matter how much Molson says he loves hockey (blah, blah, blah), he’s a company man. Making the playoffs is making money. Not making the playoffs is NOT making money. So making the playoffs now is what he wants. The future doesn’t matter. A round of playoffs matters because it makes money. From his perspective as an OWNER, it’s just as good to win a round or two every year, as to miss the playoffs for a year or two and go deeper later. In fact, it’s preferred.

————————————-
      Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• HabFanSince72 says:

As I understand it the Habs are mostly owned by the Molsons personally rather than the company (Molson-Coors – who do own a small share of the team). So being a company man isn’t an issue. It’s his money he is losing.

Obviously he cannot afford to lose too much money. However trading away some salary will make up for not making the playoffs. Two or three first round playoff games would bring in something like 6-9 $M. Getting rid of say Cammalleri and AK46 would recoup a portion of that money.

Bu as a general rule this is a team whose budgeting depends on making the playoffs most years, something that was admitted by management during the Gillett years.

• Malreg says:

Trading away Cammy and AK would only save money if we did not replace those two players, or replaced them with less expensive players.

Which means we wouldn’t be spending to the cap, which would really cause a frenzy. Either way, we are a cap team, trading away salary does not save us money, because we will have to replace those players.

Also, trading players at the trade deadline hardly saves you any money, since most of their salary for the season has alreadhy been paid at that point.

• HabFanSince72 says:

It saves a third of their salary.

So replacing Cammy and AK46 with Palushaj and Leblanc would save approx. $2-3M

• Strummer says:

The Habs are a Cash Cow

As reported in the Toronto Star yeasteday the Habs are the richest team in the NHL in terms of Revenue:

“It will come as no surprise that the richest NHL team was the Montreal Canadiens, who league sources said were slightly ahead of the Toronto Maple Leafs with $2 million worth of ticket revenue per game”

They can afford to bury a contract or 2 in the minors/Europe

________________________________________________
          “You have to be this tall to ride on this ride”
          -as posted in amusement parks across North America

• boonie says:

“quantity not quality”, you mean like drafting more NHLers than most other teams but not drafting a 40 goal scorer or 80 point player to suit up for us since Richer?

• mrhabby says:

can you stop telling HABS fans to wake up…lots of habs get it and for those that don’t understand its no big deal.

The cassette tape is in the player on autorewind and play again. It cannot be stopped, however the tape is starting to stretch thus sometimes the wording appears different, but the messages is indeed the same. Unfortunately it seems the Dolby feature has worn out as well.

24. G-Man says:

This season has been one long, snake-bitten affair that will only end in April. Unless players suddenly come back and play like champs, this season is a washout.

25. JF says:

Pierre Gauthier has been getting a lot of criticism for his media briefing, but I thought he handled it well. He’s obviously thought a lot about the teams’s problems, and his analysis of what’s gone wrong was to the point. As for the language issue, he couldn’t very well say anything other than what Geoff Molson said two weeks ago. Where he went wrong was in firing Jacques Martin in the first place (which I was sure would be a disaster) and in not addressing the language issue right at the beginning. If at the initial press conference, he’d acknowledged the importance of language but said that in the present crisis, the team felt it had to turn to someone within the organization and Randy Cunneyworth was the best candidate, and if on top of that, Cunneyworth had spoken a few words of French, there wouldn’t have been half this outcry. Instead, he either pretended language wasn’t a problem or else he really thought so – in which case he’s incredibly out of touch with the reality of Quebec.

But as far as the team itself goes, I think he knows what he’s talking about and has made more good decisions than bad. Nevertheless, the Markov situation, even if every doctor assured him Markov would be able to start the season, and the firing of Jacques Martin will almost certainly cost him his job.

26. stevieray says:

This homestand will determine our fate . We are DUE !! Let’s go get them boys ..
    Any word when Gio/Gomez are back ….
    although I’m thinking Gomez is on a short leash

27. slapshot777 says:

Anyone hear anything on the Krys Barch incident? Been reading a few comments from the Florida players, who I have had a chuckle listening to.

They say that it was ” blown out of proportion” ” misread” ” “misunderstood” ” Barch would never do something like that, he’s a family man”

That’s all fine and good, but if he is not that type of player to begin with why say it in the first place. I know that during the course of a game and tempers flare sometimes things get said in the heat of the moment. In this case Barch wasn’t even on the ice and was on the bench so the excuse for that scenairo is out the window. Even the owner of the Panthers said ” you work hard, you play hard, but a slur has no part of the competition”

Seems like the NHL is dragging it’s feet again when it comes to matters like this. It’s takes them forever to get something as simple as this right. It was heard by an on ice official and reported to the League. How much investigating is there. Did or didn’t he say it and then speak to the player(s) involved.

They don’t take as much time deciding on a penalty for hitting, no investigation on that, just wild speculation and pulling suspensions out of the air for these infractions. This is the second time this season that this has happened. has far as the League has come with regards to other happenings they are still in the dark when it comes to slurs and gestures.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

• Habfan10912 says:

Good morning slapshot. IMO there has been passive racism towards PK since day one. The league has a chance to take a stand now. Anything less then a long suspension and a large fine to the Panthers will be a disappointment.

• Habs_4_ever says:

Don’t hold your breath.

————————
        “Can we lose the parade float?…..Thank you!”

• Clay says:

I’m not sure why you think the Panthers organization deserves a fine. The owner came out pretty strongly against this, and only one player was involved. Let’s not punish the whole team because of one idiot. Barch dug his own grave; now let him lie in it alone.

__________________________
        ☞ “Talent is a gift from God, but you only succeed with hard work. Yvan was proof of that.” – Jean Beliveau. ☜

• Habfan10912 says:

Business need to be held accountable for the action of their employees. I am pretty sure most of us would subject our employers to lawsuits if we were accused of a racial slur. The message needs to be clear here.
          You guys are probably correct though. Torts will probably receive stiffer punishment.

• Clay says:

I would certainly not subject my employer to lawsuits in this circumstance – especially after the owner came out strongly against it. Of course, I’m Canadian, and lack the litigious nature of some of our US compadres.

__________________________

• habsnyc says:

is it just PK? i never heard anything about players being racist towards iginla, kane, byfuglien or any of the two dozen or so minority players in the league.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

• solomio says:

Hey those guys are tough. you wouldn’t dare say anything that might piss them off but we’re talking little PK here The Turtle King

“I figure PG has one or 2 moves left to bring the Habs that extra step closer to perhaps being the best in the league.” – Einstein

28. Danno says:

It’s a new year and let’s hope it`s a new approach to winning some games.

Maybe better times are ahead. They can’t get much worse.

Can they?

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

• AndyF says:

We’re 10 pts away from getting Grigorenko or Yakupov next summer. Just sayin’…

• Marc10 says:

Rumour du jour on 98.5 was the Habs talking to the Panthers about an attacker. The Panthers want to make the Show and are depleted up front, they’re well under the cap, and they’ve got 10 kids at the World Juniors…

Prime candidates for that scenario would have to be Cole (because he’s awesome), Cams (because he shows up in the playoffs) and Pleks (because he can fight!)

If we can get a prospect in return… I say let the offloading begin! (Especially if it means we can finish near the bottom…)

Tank, Tank, Tank!

• JF says:

If it’s Cammalleri they want, I’d go for it, but I’d keep Cole and Plekanecs.

• Marc10 says:

I would trade anyone if the price is right…

Cole has to be attractive the way he’s playing. He’s awesome. Pleks is a solid two-way center who would make a good #2 or #3… and Cams is a playoff performer. With the right center he could score 50…

But given that we suck, why not target the next Stamkos, Toews or Kane…? I say we go for it with reckless abandon. If that means trading Markov when he comes back for a good return… let’s do it. (And I’d favour trading out West as much as possible…)

The only guys I put serious trading restrictions on (because of their potential long term):

– Price
            – PK
            – Patches
            – Eller
            – Gallagher
            – Beaulieu
            – Tinordi

And I wouldn’t trade DD. He deserves to remain for a long time the way he’s come along.

LL and Bournival are also part of my future plans. They’re local kids and we should absolutely bring the local content up whenever we can when the guys are talented enough.

• Ali says:

Exactly! Why on earth trade Cole when we spent the past 15 years waiting for a player like him!

• HabFanSince72 says:

The team I would like to trade with is Washington – not for their #1 draft pick but for Colorado’s. Right now Colo is ahead of Was so the pick is worth less, but I have a feeling Was is moving up and Colo moving down the standings, especially with Matt Duchenne injured.

The Caps wingers after Semin and Ovie are Troy Brouwer, Joel Ward and 37 yr-old Mike Knuble. They are actually playing Jeff Halpern as RW on the 2nd line.

How about AK46 for that Colorado #1 pick?

• Marc10 says:

Nice. We’re going to lose AK, so we might as well…

Right now, some teams like WAS are still dreaming of a cup run. I say we get in there with trades like this if it means we can snatch prospects or picks.

Injecting AK into the market will start an arms race and send a clear signal we’re open for business. Teams that are looking at Cams will start making decent offers and come the deadline… who knows what we’ll be able to land.

That approach has merit – especially if as a by-product we get closer to a top 2 pick… Dare we dream?

• solomio says:

You’d get rid of Cole you numb skull ?

• Danno says:

@AndyF:

On the other hand, they’re only eight points out of a playoff spot with 43 games to go.

It’s time to fish or cut bait…

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

• AndyF says:

More than 8 pts out of 8th, btw. Habs have played more games.

• savethepuck says:

I like your point of view better Danno

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
          Carey Price

• HabFanSince72 says:

Yes, but there are 5 teams ahead of us (I include the Isles who have more ppg). The problem isn’t the 8 points, it’s the 5 teams. We have to jump over all of them, which is almost impossible because they are mostly going to play each other. They can’t all lose.

• Danno says:

Not easy by any means. But not insurmountable either. The race is very tight and it’s possible the magic number will be 88 to get in to a playoff spot like in 2009-10 – meaning they will need 53 pts out of 43 remaining games. If the Habs can play slightly above .600 for the remainder of the season that might do it. If they can get a solid win streak going NOW their chances improve even more.

Those are the numbers. It’s up to the men who wear the CH on their chests to take up the challenge.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

29. boonie says:

Sorry, most sellers don’t saddle companies with long term contracts. They keep ‘em short and sweet, so the buyer has a clean slate.

It’s not like Bob locked up our well-scouted, in-house-developed players for the new guy. These were UFAs paid top with no history of “cohesion” together or ties to the Habs or their fans.