Canadiens practice in Florida

palm_tree-11931
The sun rose in Sunrise on your last-place Montreal Canadiens.
Tomas Plekanec opened his heart to Jean-François Chaumont of the Journal de Montréal.
And our friends at TSN 990 were kind enough to pass along some audio.
Same lines at practice as played in Washington.
Mathieu Darche wasn’t skating but Andrei Markov was, in a no-contact jersey.
Injured captain Brian Gionta says “it’s nice to be around the guys and kind of going through what they’re going through”.

But would he and Markov be joining their teammates if the Canadiens were in Winnipeg?

Brian Gionta | Randy Cunneyworth | Peter Budaj

1. temekuhabs says:

“celebrating” the Laffs 62 Cup winners on HNIT

2. Disappointed. Thought there was some actual news.
    F you Marinaro.

3. BeachHabFan says:

weird trade deadline. i feel left out of the buying frenzy and excitement of who we might add for a playoff run, but at the same time, i’m relieved that i won’t have to sit through deadline day excited about who we might add for a playoff run, then being disappointed when they do f all except a minor league deal…

4. kerrgte says:

i haven’t seen the ctv announcement, i’m just going on the comments here.

It looks like management is standing up to support PG in this time of crisis. I think it also means that PG is under probation, and they’re giving him a little more rope to try and right the ship.

I bet his real review will come in the summer. It would be impossible to find a replacement now. Who would be suicidal enough to want the job with the team in this state?

There might be something on HNIC tonight to add further comment.

Montreal fans are so rabid that I think PG needs all the support he can get. What a pressure cooker.

My 2 cents.

• ProHabs says:

He had our support and put together a last place team.

• powdered toastmann says:

Aren’t they acting a bit hastily and irrationally (never mind being a bit tough on him)?

Another bold, decisive move by current senior Habs mgmnt.

Kinda makes ya feel proud eh?

re kerrgte’s last line…maybe a Hab fan bit PG giving him rabies…might explain the poor performance.

Gainey ran the show once already. The result are on display now. Sigh.

6. punkster says:

Meh.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

7. Bill says:

Loving the super dramatic intro of the Leafs/Caps game … lol … feel like I’m watching Gulf War coverage.

Full Breezer 4 Life

8. Bill says:

Marinaro’s next scoop: Habs may miss playoffs, Hal Gill traded, and polar ice-caps are shrinking.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Sean Bonjovi says:

His last scoop was that Carolina were going to use Kaberle’s money to sign Josh Gorges.

“Andrei Kostitsyn will be traded this month”
      – Sean Bonjovi

9. secretdragonfly says:

I’m a little disappointed that Stu Cowan participated in that Hollywood-esque, “let’s try to make news where there isn’t any” piece of garbage they’re passing off as journalism nowadays. That’s ten minutes of my life I’ll never get back, thanks.

10. BeachHabFan says:

let’s see… they obviously aren’t going to fire a GM leading up to trade deadline, but they obviously don’t want a lame duck GM running the draft, so , yeah, the scoop is what 80% of the people on this site believe is happening anyway. nothing gets done w/out molson/gainey ok, PG can’t take lead on deals or initiate moves. totally believable, i guess, but not worth the hooooplaaaa

11. boing007 says:

Does this mean that Geoff Molson will be spending all weekend on his Blackberry?

Richard R

12. Dr.Rex says:

IF Gainey and Molson were running the show then Im sure the other GMs would be aware of this and every media outlet would have been alerted along time ago. Gauthier has to run any trade proposal past MOlson which is not that uncommon.

13. slapshot777 says:

What Marinaro just stated was nothing that we here didn’t already state. Which is that PG would either have to have his hands tied when doing trades and that when this miserable season is over PG is gone.

So nothing new. Marinaro is just rehashing a bit of news that makes perfect sense and the only smart thing to do.

14. H.Upmann says:

Hmmm…. maybe Molson has plans for GLove…..

15. Trisomy 21 says:

The “Big News” was that Gautier isn’t really running the show, but Gainey and Molson are

16. boing007 says:

Au revoir PG.

Richard R

17. Dr.Rex says:

IS Rejean Houle comign back with Trembley?

18. otter649 says:

Geoff Molson will take a bigger part in Habs Management – Really some scoop…..

19. JimBob says:

So I try explaining this to my girlfriend, and she sums it up so nicely…’So Pierre Gauthier is like Junior Soprano now? Boss in name only…’

You got it babe…

20. WTH is going on?? What’s the big news??

21. RGM says:

So what is the big news from CTV Montreal?

———————–
    GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
    “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

22. ProHabs says:

Someone who has CTV, what was the BIG news.

23. EricInStL says:

So Marinaro says Molson is in charge, yeah and so what.

What a wet fart

24. Where is this happening??? CTV?

25. Pucknut says:

Anyone here think that Vincent Damphousse would make good upper management material.
    I watch him on Antichambre & find he speaks intelligently on talent & salary cap issues & never gets caught up in the buffoonery of some of the other panelists

26. BeachHabFan says:

serge savard, baby

27. ProHabs says:

Mariano scoop will only be something small about Markov. Markov is his only scoop on the team. He is making a big deal over nothing, probably something like Markov has decided to shut her down until next year.

28. EricInStL says:

It seems Youppi was promoted….

29. temekuhabs says:

AK says he wants to stay, but, man he sure isn’t playing like he does, so much talent, but where’s the desire?? Put Darche’s desire in AK body and he’d score 50

30. slapshot777 says:

Was listening to CTV sports in Montreal and they just announced there will be breaking news on a change in the Habs management.

31. Psycho29 says:

Paul Graif just said on CTV News that “big changes coming in the Habs’ front office…..Tony Marinaro will be on at 6:45″….

I hope for Tony’s sake he has the right info…

32. EricInStL says:

Markov to play ?

33. Bill says:

When the Habs have a big announcement, it comes straight from the Habs. There are no leaks at the Kremlin. So what is Marinaro trying to pull?

Full Breezer 4 Life

34. temekuhabs says:

Bob can stay as an advisor, we need a new GM

35. temekuhabs says:

I understand that Riberio had to be shipped out of town, but couldn’t he have done better??

36. temekuhabs says:

I liked Bob, but the Ribeiro for Niinamma and the Gomez trade really set the Franchise back

37. jonnyp says:

RC is stepping down !! I think we should try n get Dustin brown !!

38. BeachHabFan says:

so i hear the habs are opening the season in europe?!! whose bright idea was that?!

39. HabFab says:

Bo back as interim GM. New GM cannot be hired until season end.
    Claude Loiselle or Justin BriseBois and then they hire their own coach.

40. anotherhab says:

In this sellers market I think we could do well on Monday — we may think our free agents players AK, Moen & Darche and Campoli along with Weber, Diaz and Kabele won’t get us much — most GM’s will be caught up in the feeding frenzy with few sellers (maybe one of them could be duped into taken Nomez). Remember last year Kaberle went for a 1st & Colborne and a conditional pick and Penner went for a 1st and prospect Teubert and a cond. 3rd.
    Here’s hoping we can unload most of these guys and be in a good position at the draft for a change.

• SlovakHab says:

Totally agree with you. I would be stoked if we unloaded AK, Darche, Campoli and Weber, not mentioning Kaberle. Absolutely stoked.

I don’t really have high expectations apart from AK trade, which should fetch us a 1st round pick or a 2nd + good prospect.

41. temekuhabs says:

Gainey is done as GM, he’s been through enough ( on a personal level) time for a new GM

42. Psycho29 says:

I just found out what the big announcement is….

Due to rising transportation cost, beer prices at the Bell Center will be rising to $12.50.

;-)

43. Psycho29 says:

What a goal by Malkin vs Tampa….Too bad the Bolts haven’t perfected the poke check yet…

44. VancouverHab says:

Larry Robinson as head coach & Bob Gainey as GM? I’ll have died and gone to heaven.

(Cunnyworth as coach & Gauthier as GM, & I’ve died and gone to Hell.)

45. temekuhabs says:

Plekanec is only worth 3M a year?? So why is a 4 goal scorer worth 5M (hello Hemsky)

46. temekuhabs says:

As my earlier post says: look where Tampa is in the standings (and the talent they have as compared to the Habs) is Boucher the answer??

47. alfieturcotte says:

FIRE GAUTHIER, FIRE GAUTHIER, FIRE GAUTHIER

Needless to say, the team assembled by Gauthier/Gainey, is pathetic.

Time to rebuild and completely free cap space. Trade whoever we can this year including:
    1. AK46, Moen, Campoli.
    2. Trade Pleks NOW and it does not matter who we get in return. This guy is not worth $5-$6MM and pretty soon the rest of the NHL will see it. He is a good 2nd and excellent 3rd line center, which translates into $3MM max. Let’s not wait until his salary becomes completely disproportionate to his level of play.
    3. Send Gomez and Kaberle to the AHL or buy them out. Nobody in their right mind will want them, that is nobody aside from Gauthier the bum!

• doogie says:

I agree with you except for the Pleks comments. He’s a terrific player who’s been largely overworked on a really F bad team. Next year he’ll be a lot better and back on his game and $ value. Give the guy a break, they’re that bad. Pleks, Price, Cole and Gorges are about the only guys who’ve played hard every game. Remember, this is a pretty bad team and it must be tough for guys like Pleks to play with most of these slugs on the team. Kostitsyn, Gomez come to mind.

* * * * * * *

Need to get my clubs ready for the golf season since there ain’t gonna be any playoffs!

48. The Jackal says:

RGM – because the teams trailing the jets shuffle between 3, 8, 9 – the more they lose, the better the leafs chances of crawling back to 8th

49. temekuhabs says:

It’s Vietcong there’s no “s”, you wouldn’t say Chineses

50. temekuhabs says:

What do YOU mean, you people??? Lol lol

51. temekuhabs says:

Carbo wouldn’t work with Bob again

So what is with this talk of Carbo for GM? He has zero training for GM no?

• RGM says:

Pierre Gauthier has 25+ years of training and look where it’s gotten us. At this point, the organization is just throwing things against the wall in the desperate hope that something, anything, sticks.

———————–
      GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
      “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

• Mattyleg says:

Zero.
      Patrick Roy has more experience.
      (blocks ears, winces and takes cover)

—Hope Springs Eternal—

Does anyone think Gainey could do a better job than Mr. Gauthier between now and 3pm on Monday? After that it really doesn’t matter as no GM can have a significant impact on his team until after the playoffs.

I know that I still respect BG more than PG.

• RGM says:

I think that goes without saying.

———————–
        GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
        “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

• 24 Cups says:

Gerald – I’m not sure that really has anything to do with what is going on right now (or may happen in the next few hours).

Truth be told, I’d rather have Gauthier tackle the trade deadline than Gainey. After Monday, we basically don’t need a GM until the playoffs are over. Any assistant could handle the day-to-day operations of the team.

When the house cleaning comes, Gainey has to go as well as Gauthier. He can join the alumni team.

It was my polite way of answering a question I feared my answer I wouldn’t like. I know BG made his mistakes, but I also know he cared about this team, I never once felt PG truly cared.

• kempie says:

Honestly, if that happens, it would be like Sam Rothstein taking a position as Director of Food & Beverages. Nothing would change.

• twocents says:

Steve, the context being rumoured is that Gauthier is stepping down, as opposed to ownership instigating the timing of this move. In that context your question is moot, as the reason isn’t to get a better trade deadline outcome, but to fill a premature void in the organization.

• 24 Cups says:

Are you telling me that Gauthier is going to quit just two days before the trade deadline?

• twocents says:

I’m not telling you that, I’m telling you that’s the rumour.

EDIT: uh uh I may be confused with the Cunneyworth rumour. Who the hell knows. I’ll check back in half an hour.

• 24 Cups says:

Eric – I need to cool down because I’m fuming right now. I’ve about had it with this organization and it’s bullshit routine. We’re the laughing stock of the NHL and it hurts an oldtimer like me.

I’m going to have dinner and a bottle (or two) of wine with my wife and then watch a movie. The Habs have had enough of my time today, not to mention this year.

• twocents says:

I hear you Steve, but it’s a reflection of the insane intensity with which this team is scrutinized. Even toronto takes a back seat to the insanity of Mtl hockey media and fans.

• SlovakHab says:

I think PG is a better GM than BG was.

54. temekuhabs says:

Does anybody think that Guy Boucher is (would) be the answer as the next coach given the record of Tampa right now??

55. Habshire says:

Geoff. Tony M. has the scoop. You might as well have press release now and take away his thunder.

56. novahab says:

AK is going to Nashville, it just a matter how much will they give back. There is pressure being put on by the little brother because LA wants him to. AK will not be a Hab after Monday mark my words. Also Plek is agoner to. Detroit and a few others are in hot pursuit of Pleks but PG is not giving him away.

57. temekuhabs says:

So, it has come to this: the Habs are 28th over all 4 pts up on Edm (Edm has two games in hand) never thought I’d say this, but:
    Go Oilers!!!

58. novahab says:

I suppose it is possible Gainey will take over for the intern but not the long term. Will it be Carbo taking over maybe . I rather Roy but with the team in such a mess ,they maybe looking for NHL exprience. I say it more like Carbo will work under Bob, and then take over. Who the coach will be, well won’t be Roy if Carbo is GM. I know one thing,if they get beat and they will by Florida that’s it for CC . The Flames are licking higher around Molson and he needs something to put them out.

• solomio says:

Please lets let Bobo go. Can’t say he has been helpful in the least!!

“I figure PG has one or 2 moves left to bring the Habs that extra step closer to perhaps being the best in the league.” – Einstein

• powdered toastmann says:

Please, no more retreads. The team needs to be moving in a new direction and embracing a new philosophy. Recycling of past failures is like watching Hammy the hamster get back on his cage’s exercise wheel and run like crazy whilst going nowhere. Clean house

I’ve been thinking about realignment. Apparently the NHL wants to go to 4 divisions. Every team will play every other team that is out of their division twice during the season and the remainder of the games would be against divisional rivals. The first two rounds would be in the division again with the 4 champs being seeded 1-4 for the final two rounds. If this happens it is going to stack things even further in favour of teams finishing in the top 5 over-all.

My question is this. Why after having a season of playing the same teams over and over again would the NHL force two rounds of play against the same teams again. Wouldn’t it be better to still have two Conferences and choose the best 8 teams and line them up 1-8, 2-7,3-6 and 4-5 or better yet go 1-16 down the line. How many years have there been teams with lower points total in one Conference that have made it over teams that had better records? The same thing will happen with divisions that have 7 teams versus 8.

I can see the NHL Board of Governors internal blog. Division combos. Rules tweaking. Bad mouthing opponents fans. Flaming each other over getting hosed over deals. (Sather misses Gainey)

• Mattyleg says:

I like the 4 divisions.
      On top of everything else, it will finally give at least a bit of meaning to the Presidents’ Trophy, as each team will play each other twice. Now, it’s so goddamn random, some teams will not see the best teams in the league, and others will play them twice.

I also like the idea of having to get out of your division in order to advance. That’s what creates rivalries, not the stupidity that is the current schedule. We have no rivalry with our nearest team (Ottawa) because we never saw them in the playoffs, for instance. It would be even better to have best-of-five series to get out of the division so that the teams aren’t so depleted by injury by the time the serious rounds come along.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• punkster says:

You lost me at “I’ve been thinking”.

But seriously folks…whatever the NHL Board of Governors comes up with is bound to be a dog’s breakfast. Personally I’d like to see more games against teams in markets where hockey matters so that rivalries can develop. I can get a good hate on for the Br00ns, Laffs and Filthy. I just can’t see developing a hate for teams in sunshine states, the desert or middle America.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

60. Sean Bonjovi says:

Gainey always comes back as interim coach, not interim GM. Cliff Fletcher is the interim GM guy.

“Andrei Kostitsyn will be traded this month”
    – Sean Bonjovi

61. ProHabs says:

If Gainey is coming back, there is no way Carbonneau is coming back. The day Gainey fired him, their friendship ended. Carbo even said on Antichambre about a month ago that he never talks to Gainey .

62. East Coast Hab says:

Hahahaha. We are the last remaining but alas I have spaces between the words so we are different. Rough year though huh?

63. habstrinifan says:

You didnt hear this from me. But I have a solid scoop.

Geoff Molson has sold the HABS to a certain organization famous for making sure that the ‘right people’ become the foundations of their construction projects. And Gomez will be a made guy! You can expect more favourable refereeing for the habs from now on.

64. Habsssssssswin says:

What a season. Leaf fans are laughing at us. It’s humiliating.
    We are weak or wounded at every position.Both on ice and in office.
    We speak,but nobody listens.The Montreal Canadiens are the heart and soul of so many Canadian hockey fans. Springtime without Hab playoff hockey is unthinkable,intolerable. Mr. Molson you have an obligation as owner of the Canadiens that supercedes a business.
    You have inherited an honour and a tradition to uphold. It is your responsibility to bring back the greatness this franchise earned and deserves….

WFB

65. East Coast Hab says:

Why in heavens name would we want gainey back in the interim???? He was the master of this mess in the first place. I have been a habs fan since day one and will be forever but this year is unbelievable….very stressful…phhht!

66. If we don’t ship some bodies prior to the deadline man..
    I don’t get this philosophy of the Habs not trading during the deadline. It won’t make you look bad ffs, the team is in last place – suck it up and start selling.
    At least, get Campoli and AK46 outta here if you don’t have the balls to cut Gomez loose.

67. habstrinifan says:

Rumour… Brian Wilde will reveal on CTV MTL at 6:45 that Larry Robinson has been appointed head coach because Randy has decided to leave the position due to stress.

Twitter is abuzz with rumours that Gainey is coming back as interim GM.

69. jonnyp says:

Gomez is the best Player on hab lol

70. The Jackal says:

Uh oh, Halak and the Blues won in a shootout, here come the haters!
    But really it was a lucky win by the Blues…. courtesy of the shootout… Now the Laffs may have a shot of making the playoffs!!!

71. EastCoastHab says:

Am I going through the stages of grief? One thing is for sure, the pressure and stress has come off me in the last 72 hours. No more biting my nails watching games, shouting at the TV. I may be going through one of the stages (anger) right now after reading a yahoo sports article on “why would anyone want to play for the Canadiens”. I can’t believe the quotes from Gill, Cammy and Spacek about how PG treated them once they were traded. The story changed to “why would anyone want to play for PG”.
    Yes my friends, anger has set in. Nobody is stepping up to the microphone and explaining how they plan to fix this mess. Nobody is out charging ahead to make adjustments to our lineup. It seems like everyone is happy to fill the Bell Centre every night, sell millions of memorabilia and make a boat load of cash on a losing team. I know this all too well as every year I save to bring my 7 year old crazy Habs fan to Montreal from Newfoundland, and the first place he wants to go is the Habs store to spend his birthday money saved. Now I have to go home and explain to him what the deal is with his team, and why we will be watching another team in the playoffs, (although it may be baseball because I won’t stomach to watch).
    Let’s get a game plan, change who we need to, tinker with the lines, make things more exciting, give some youngsters a chance for 20 games….whatever but let the fans see something CHANGE!

72. habstrinifan says:

I am in Ottawa and dont have the subscription to get CTV Mtl so will appreciate someone posting, once it happens, what Wilde and Marinaro are gonna be releasing around 6:45pm. Don’t follow anyone on twitter either so will have to depend on HIO.

I have feeling that it may be management change???

• Trisomy 21 says:

lol if there was a big change like that then i guarantee it wouldn’t be marinara and Wilde who are the only guys who know of it and would wait to break the news. It’s probable something like this

Inside scoop: AK has a brother in Nashville, it’s possible he gets traded there.

73. habs001 says:

pitts 8 tampa 1…the 2 leaf/ hab games may decide who finishes higher..it may be better to lose them…lol

74. The Jackal says:

So after 62 games, are we a good team? Is this just a bad season, or did the absence of a few key players reveal the underlying faults in the team’s structure?
    I was opposed to all who advocated playing for a high pick, I thought we could squeeze in and surprise a few teams, but now, I am no longer sure. I like to think this is just a bad season and even welcome the thought of a good pick, but now I accept the possibility that this team may not be very good, period.
    If that is the case, what has to happen? A good management team and good coach would be great, provided they were given a couple of seasons before being judged incompetent and fired. Next, players who can score and want to win. We have a few of those, but we need more guys like Cole. So how does the team achieve these goals? Tune in in May and find out.

• habs001 says:

We need changes…first 50 games i saw a team that did not look that much different in their play from the last 2 years except they did not win the many poorly played games they won the last 2 years and the o/t and so wins..this team at best is about 15th

75. habs001 says:

gomez and markov the two greates influences on how the habs do next year and how the roster will look next year…

76. Habfan10912 says:

AK lacks effort on way too many nights. He will be a frustrating player to coach and watch no matter where he goes. Time to part ways.

77. He’s one of the best when on top of his game, no doubt.

78. otter649 says:

Did he give some proline picks ….

79. aj says:

maybe you could send that to Geoff Molson’s IPhone to get an idea on what to do next.

80. Sean Bonjovi says:

I’d love to see a break down of all his proline tips and how they work out.

“Andrei Kostitsyn will be traded this month”
    – Sean Bonjovi

81. aj says:

The way things are is that since Gainey doesn’t want to get the fall with Gauthier, he “sided” with Molson to save his ass.

82. Shane1313 says:

Pretty much it. You’re right.
    Let’s see where it goes, we’re not so bad off

83. third generation haber says:

My thoughts Exactly!
    I made a detailed post on this yesterday.

j.p. murray