Canadiens pick up a point they don’t need

Gorges
A valiant effort in Carolina – they outshot and generally outplayed the host Hurricanes – ended in a 2-1 shootout loss.
The Canadiens cannot finish higher than 28th, which would give them the third-best chance of picking first in the June draft.
Too much probability theory this eraly in the morning?
Let’s simplify: The Canadiens should have a shot at a prime prospect.

Pat Hickey’s game story

Quotes from the room

Photo gallery

Hickey on Kirk Muller

Pierre Ladouceur’s game report card

1. HERES the keepers on this team ……..Max Pacioretty,Erik Cole,David Desharnais,Tomas Plekanec,Josh Gorges,Carey Price,Pk Subban,Andrie Markov,Alexie Emelin,Travis Moen.Mike Blunden No Lars Eller in there im definitelly not sold on Him but would hate to trade him away for nothing at best hes a solid 3rd liner.The first priority is to get rid of Gomer and find another winger for pleky!!!!!!!!!

Fans at HIO are great but quickest way to start losing is to listen to them :)

2. Chuck says:

lsjngoauwnru4ufe jwj.

^ ^ ^ My daughter’s first post on HI/O!

___________________________________________________

3. Un Canadien errant says:

An interesting point by Sookieman that all NHL draft choices are superstars in junior, you can’t expect them all to become All-Stars in the big league, but there is variability.

Some players are drafted based on their body type, and the hunch that they’ll grow into these big bodies and become effective to great NHL’ers, despite lackluster production in junior. This low production may in fact be caused by a late growth spurt that causes the player to be uncoordinated. This is especially true of the present day, when teams are asked to draft eighteen year olds, they’re still growing kids in most cases.

Now sometimes this approach pans out, as for example in the case of Zdeno Chara and Milan Lucic, who turned out even better than projected, and as we hope it continues to do so in the case of Jared Tinordi. In this case, almost like horse trainers can sometimes determine a foal is a future champion by the sweep of the back or the thickness of the hindquarters, picking a player strictly based on their physical attributes instead of their play works out.

In some other cases though, like with Terry Ryan and Lindsay Vallis and Hugh Jessiman, picking a player based on his body type fails the team miserably.

On the other hand, good players who kill it in junior but have a limited stature, guys like Theo Fleury or Jean-François Sauvé or David Desharnais are overlooked and displaced by their bigger colleagues, and have extra hurdles to overcome to make it in the bigs.

So there is an exception to the rule, big bodies that make scouts drool will be picked by scouts despite the fact that they’re not stars, in the hope that they’ll fulfill their physical promise.

How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

My suspicion is that JB is Bugs. But than again I also thought that JD_ and Bugs had similarities. What ever happened to Displaced? Or Radio Free Timo? Yeats of course is the master.

Here’s the Bugs Blog

• HabFab says:

Not sure about Displaced, do know what happened to RFT and to Yeats.
      For those curious erikson.esq, is Bugsy on that blog.
      Good one HH.

• JohnBellyful says:

While there is some merit to what you have to say, HH, your suspicion falls wide of the mark. Bugs Bunny is my favourite cartoon character and it bugs me when people fail to observe even the simplest of civilities, but I am not the Bugs of online lore. Now who is this Yeats, you say remains the master? He’s before my time.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I went to habsbros, the last post is from October last year, the season opener.

• HabFab says:

That is about the time Bugs took off.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Or was abducted by aliens…

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• solomio says:

Abducted by an alien chef no doubt. I got kind of queasy when he started posting his recipes!!!

“I figure PG has one or 2 moves left to bring the Habs that extra step closer to perhaps being the best in the league.” – Einstein

5. H.Upmann says:

Wasn’t Cunneyworth coaching the Dogs before filling in for Muller? I had read on here that he was doing an alright job in the AHL

6. Hobie Hansen says:

I am proud to say that I’m the longest serving HIO member:

Hobie Hansen
    Member since November 26, 2007

And I’ve never been banned or had my comments deleted.

Oh, I also know way more about the Canadiens than any of you!

Mods!!! Mods!!! Mods!!!

Intellectual imperialism!!!!!

• Hobie Hansen says:

I would like to go to summit to meet everyone but I think Bill, HabsFansSince72 and Mattyleg would pour a beer on my head but maybe Hard Habits and Burlington might possibly stick up for me….?

• HardHabits says:

Next summit is going to be an all out bench clearing brawl. Either that or a drunken bonding session. Could go either way.

Nah!
          The problem with this forum is that it’s impossible to see the smirk, or quickly retract a misplaced word. Everything is written in stone, in a way.
          It’s easier to agree to disagree when you’re face to face and just want to have fun and get drunk.

• Hobie Hansen says:

This place is like texting – hard to sometimes pickup the sarcasm and a huge argument starts over nothing half the time ;-).

But ya I’d love to head to the summit this year but it isn’t always easy to head off on a $1000.00 weekend. Hotel, dinner, tickets, gas, drinks galore…

• JohnBellyful says:

I went to last year’s summit and found it a rather tame affair. Mind you, I left Hurley’s after I found out it wasn’t clothing-optional (to think I spent all that money on a body-length CH tattoo!).

• Rob says:

I think the best part of the Summit or any other meeting up of people from this or any other site is that the people who act like idiots either a) don’t show up, or b) drop their lame online “personality”.

The Montreal Canadiens: sporting the best AND worst fans since 1909!

• Ron says:

Actually your not Hobie, I have been around since Nov 9, 2007 along with a slew of others. Some of us were here before the dates on our profiles but when the new format was established new dates were given. So alot of us where here pryor to my Nov 9, 2007 date as well. Yeats, Robert L and many more.

• Rob says:

Yeah, this site existed well before we had to register for profiles. Dare I say it was superior? Either way, i don’t think Hobie actually thinks that they are the oldest member here. Although many of the original posters here have, unfortunately, abandoned the site.

The Montreal Canadiens: sporting the best AND worst fans since 1909!

• Ron says:

I myself felt the old site was a better set up. The only problem was everybody had access to each others e-mail address and some people used that avenue to spew some unwanted content. In all it still was a lot of fun with the posse and such.

• ZepFan2 says:

Sorry Hobie, but I’ve been here since November 11, 2007.

Oooh, you were so close. :razz:

———————————————————————-
      “You cannot petition the lord with prayer!” – James Douglas Morrison

The Soft Parade

• Bill says:

Not quite.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Chuck says:

Chuck -
      Member since November 10, 2007

Eat it, Hobie.

___________________________________________________

7. habstrinifan says:

After this post I hope EVERY hio member acknowledges this SUPREME sacrifice that I am making!!!!!

John Bellyful wondered ALOUD what it takes to get banned here!
    Now I do not want John to ever get banned..even accidentally. And since HIO operates under the Royian dogma that “ignorance of the law” is no excuse, I will make the following comments and get myself banned.

Now I dont mean to compete with that other (ahem) GUY whose sacrifice apparently saved something called humanity… but you gotta admit that this will be a biggie. So here goes.

“Mike Boone shoulda taken off his ^%%$#* skirt and tell the truth about #@===*&^ last night! I say that punk Jack Todd ^%$#(( does tell it like it.
    Some of you %%$#@&^ Green ethnics dont deserve to ride on the same TANK WAGON as us ^%$#&* blue blood pure-laine fans.
    So %^^$#^^++++***!!!!

Bye!!!!

8. HabFab says:

In the upcoming draft there is a Quebec boy who is higher ranked then any playing in the Q. He has followed Louis Leblanc’s path into the USJHL so that he can play NCAA. At present he is ranked the 29th North American skater which means he should go around mid 2nd round. Michael Matheson is his name and he is a D;

9. frontenac1 says:

Cunneyworth strikes me as a decent man who handled himself with class in an almost impossible situation.I would like to see him retained in some role ,perhaps player developement?I think he is very strong in that area.

10. JohnBellyful says:

Just curious: I read every now and then someone has been banned from the site.
    How do you know? Do they post a list somewhere? And what gets a poster banned? Do they run a poll? And how long does a poster stayed banned? Until he pays a fine, begs forgiveness, buys a subscription to the Gazette? Hey, is that how you find out who’s been banned, they’ve been gazetted?
    Sorry for all the questions, but it’s either ask them now or go out and rake the lawn. Why do we rake the lawn? Is that like scratching Mother Earth’s back? Is there a Father Earth? No, there would have to be a Father Mars or a Father Mercury? How else to explain the moon – with a face only a planet could love. What’s an eclipse? Why’s the sky bluYOUR PRIVILEGES AS A MEMBER OF HIO HAVE BEEN REVOKED. YOU WILL NOTIFIED OF A CHANGE IN STATUS AT A LATER DATE. UNTIL THEN YOU ARE FORBIDDEN FROM ENTERING THIS SITE. HAVE A NICE DAY. NOW GO RAKE THE LAWN

Wait!
      Don’t go rake your lawn yet!
      There are many important things to be discussed!
      Banned posters can be identified by their eternal (exception: Timo) absence.
      Their posts are annihilated and they cease to be heard from again.
      It usually follows a complete breakdown of sanity on the part of the poster.
      Usually entailing personal attacks on other posters, or racial/xenophobic/homophobic rants and/or swearing.

As for Mother Earth, I think she might get jiggy with Father Time.

• JohnBellyful says:

Mother Earth, Father Time, now we’re getting into Stephen Hawking, Norman Einstein territory. Way above my head.
        As for that racial/xenophobic/homophobic ranting stuff, is that why I never see Mad Mike post here? CBC should run a segment between the two Saturday night games, featuring Mike Pillory and PJ Stocks, in which their heads are held in place through hinged wooden boards. Every time they make a stupid remark members of the live audience toss rotten tomatoes and other spoiled produce at them to register their disagreement. Or approval, it’s all the same to me.

• geo_habsgo says:

So is that what happened to Bugs?

No, he retired himself.
          I wasn’t there when it happened tho.
          He made some appearances afterwards, but wasn’t his old self.

• geo_habsgo says:

Yeah, I remembered him getting into a big fight here with a guy who threatened to beat him up and I thought that might have gotten him banned. A lot of those old posters are gone now they had some unique brands of humour that wasn’t for everyone but helped make the site a little more robust. Ah well the good ship HIO moves on..

• Mattyleg says:

There are good posters on here now too that add flavour to the site.
            Not the same flavour as before, but neither better nor worse, I don’t think.
            There are also some appalling trolls that have disappeared too!

• HabFab says:

Don’t believe so, think he went away on his own.

• Un Canadien errant says:

So here’s the question, with a preamble:

Bugs used ta spell everythin’ kinda conversational-like, like he was riffin’ on a subject, mam, thank you very much. At the same time, there was another poster who used the apostrophe instead of the ‘g’ in the ‘ing’ words. He had a different name, somewhat different style, but the spellin’ was too singular I thought. The two posters seemed to be usin’ the same effin’ spellin’ when it came to word endin’ in ‘ing’.

So was Bugs posting under two different names? Did anyone else have the same impression?

I don’t remember what the putative alter ego’s handle was.

• JohnBellyful says:

I believe it was JD

JD_
            And I don’t know what happened to him.
            He was a good dude, and he came to the Summit, then disappeared a couple of weeks afterward.
            I often asked about him, but no-one had any information.
            Boone even did a piece on him.
            I hope he’s okay…

• geo_habsgo says:

Yeah I can’t remember the second handle either but I do remember wondering if Bugs had an alter ego as well. Actually, you mimicked him quite well just now…are you bugs?! lol :O

• Un Canadien errant says:

Were JD and Bugs ever seen together in the same room?

• HabFab says:

He had a Hab web site with another poster that he identified as his brother (?) Cannot remember it’s name or his brothers avatar. He was also posting on the Tampa site as Leo and believe on another. I sometimes wondered if he was not also the EverLasting 1. They both completely left the same time. Heck, he could be that Normand fellow out in BC for all I know ;)

• HabFab says:

JD_ posts regularly on EOTP, he was one of the Fleury protesters.

• Un Canadien errant says:

@ geo_habsgo: Negatory on your hunch that I might be Bugs/JD_. I’m the grammar nerd, I value syntax too much to write like that. I got what he was trying to do, having a very conversational tone, but it was hard sometimes reading his posts, I couldn’t muster up the strength to write those lengthy posts of his in the same way.

• HFX-HabFan says:

Believe me, nobody misses Bugs

I do!
            We used to riff off each other pretty well!

• geo_habsgo says:

I didn’t mind him all that much. He was a skilled troll is all. Drove his points about pouliot and desharnais being good players into the ground. Was every bit as tenacious as HardHabits is with his Tanking philosophy (the habs listened to you after all HH).

I don’t really care that he’s gone just weird that so many old, frequent posters left the site around the same time.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Sometimes entertaining, sometimes verged on the histrionic. His impassioned plea before training camp that Yannick Weber should get a regular defenceman spot ahead of Alexei Emelin because it was only fair that his seniority should be rewarded, regardless of their level of play or performance, was a little strange. We tried to explain that the NHL is as close to a meritocracy as you can come, the ultimate “if you can play, you can play” situation, but he would have none of it. If I remember correctly, that was the beginning of the end.

Bugs was never boring that’s for sure, in the short time I spent here while he was around. Hopefully he’s moved on to other pursuits for now but will be back.

• HardHabits says:

For that answer you have to ask the grand master Timo. I, sadly, finished 2nd in the “Get Banned by Boone” sweepstakes.

Somewhere there is a puck bard who never got to fulfil a challenge we made to be the 1st of the two to get the proverbial boot.

• JohnBellyful says:

Uh, so why is the sky blue?

11. Mattyleg says:

Thanks, Mods.

• HabFab says:

Did you check out the start of page 1?

• Hobie Hansen says:

Mattyleg is like PK Subban when he starts a fight and hopes the linesman or in this case mods will intervene right away to save him.

Sorry, couldn’t resist! All in good fun.

Heh heh.
          I don’t mind disagreeing, Hobie, but name-calling is childish and is better suited for the playground than a discussion forum.

I don’t need ‘saving’, (sticks and stones and all that) but I think that keeping the forum clear of petty silliness is always a good move, regardless of whether its directed at me or anyone else.

Maybe I was a bit harsh with you, and I took what you said in stride. Fair ’nuff. We’re big boys.

HH on the other hand…

• Hobie Hansen says:

I have my beliefs as to how I’d like to see the habs end up, as do you.

But it just seems when somebody doesn’t agree with you that you start pulling out the insults and raise a stink all the time.

Hope we can be civil ;-)

• Mattyleg says:

Beh, I try to keep insults out of it.
            I’m not always perfect at it, though.
            Especially recently.
            Work and life and health have been insane, and I seem to have been veering to the Dark Side more often than I would like.
            And the ‘Hooray, we’re losing’ mentality always struck a raw nerve with me at the best of times.
            So it’s basically a perfect storm of shit.

I’ll do my best to behave.
            Name-calling, though?
            (shudder)
            ;)

• HardHabits says:

In retrospect I should have said your analysis was simplistic. It was more fun to call you a simpleton though.

Then again, nothing is as mature as dismissing somebody else’s point of view by mocking it.

Yeah, bizarre.
        But one post is still missing.
        Whatev’s.

12. JohnBellyful says:

Randy, JM never listened to me, but I’m hopin’ you will. Whaddya got to lose, your job? You know the answer to that one.
    But, trust me, if you follow my advice for the last game of the season, it could salvage your career, if not with the Canadiens, definitely with another team. So here goes:
    Now regular HIO posters will have read all this before, so just scroll on by, it’s just you and me, Randy, so play close attention. The Canadiens are dynamite killing penalties, heck, Pleks gets a scoring chance every other one, so playing short is no big deal (ya notice, I didn’t even make a wisecrack about the team playing short, that’s how serious I am about this).
    So here’s what you do, during a key moment in the game, you’re playing five on five, it’s time for a line change, but only two players go on when three come off the ice. Don’t worry, there’s no penalty for playin’ with not enough men. Play goes into the Canadiens’ end — and then you send out the third forward, at which point one of the Habs fires a long pass to the wide-open man who goes in alone, and, presto, bingo, you got yourself a goal. And a sure spot on all the TV sport shows, and a pretty nice clip to add to the resume, showing a touch for creativity; you could call it thinking outside the (penalty) box.
    One more suggestion: make sure it’s not Pleks who’s sent on the breakaway. Practice hasn’t made perfect.

• Deano says:

Can’t believe I am going to build upon this … Think of how much better it works if this is only done during the second period. The “extra” attacker comes off the bench at the other team’s blue line. Hockey’s new equivalent of the football sleeper play.

;)

• JohnBellyful says:

That’s a nice touch.
        I’m still working on a Statute of Liberty play. Originally had designed it for Gill and Desharnais with Gill playing the part of You-Know-Who. Maybe it can still work, using Price.

13. Hobie Hansen says:

Lets go Blue Jays!

14. Kooch7800 says:

Going outside for a run. Can’t waste the nice weather.

Have a great Easter everyone!

“Like Canadian Hip hop..check us out http://www.groovecontrolmusic.com

15. POPS says:

There is great debate over who the new GM (whomever it will be) should select with the first pick. No real clear cut choice after Yakupov. What about trading that selection to Scott Howsen in Columbus?

TO COLUMBUS:
    2012 1st round selection
    Lars Eller
    Tomas Kaberle
    Rene Bourque or Danny Kristo

TO MONTREAL:
    Rick Nash
    Marc Methot

With a few additional moves/signings/buyouts, our line-up would look like this:
    Nash – Plekanec – Gionta
    Pacioretty – Desharnais – Cole
    Leblanc – Stoll – Parenteau
    Staubitz – Geoffrion – White

Gorges – Subban
    Markov – Emelin
    Methot – St. Denis
    Diaz – Weber

Price
    Budaj

To watch or not to watch tomorrow’s classic?

17. Habshire says:

Just noticed on ESPN classic they’re showing the 1982 semis between Montreal and Quebec.

18. habs001 says:

i still would like this lineup for next year

cole/dd/maxpac
    parise/plecks/gion
    borque/eller/gallagher
    moen,leblanc/white
    darche/staubitz

• Mattyleg says:

I guess you’re hoping that our opponents will trip over our second line? ;)

• Sookieman says:

People! We are losing a lot of credibility as educated and intelligent hockey fans when we keep posting about Gallagher, Tinordi, Beaulieu and whatever other junior prospect being on the team next year or worse, being on a top line. Let’s get serious, Gallagher looks good but will he be better than Nathan Gerbe? Every player in the NHL was a superstar in Junior. Ryan White was a sniper, Ben Maxwell was too. It’s rare for a player who didn’t make the jump to the NHL after their draft year to then all of a sudden skip the AHL after their junior career is done. They will likely all be in the AHL or make Leblanc type impact next year. Don’t get me wrong, I think they are all great prospects, but likely will need a few years in the AHL to be ready.

• HardHabits says:

Every player entering the AHL next season should not even be considered for the Habs line-up except maybe if the Habs make the play-offs. Even in that case IMO those youngsters should stay in Hamilton for a good year or two and hone their skills there.

Case in point: Latendresse, Price, Pouliot, Eller, D’Agostini. All these players could have used more time in the minors. I even think Subban should have stayed down longer.

Look at Pacioretty. He went back down and tore it up and became better for it. Had he remained on the Habs he’d be scoring 30 goals on another team. Look at Desharnais. Look at Halak. All followed a proper trajectory. Look at the Detroit Red Wings. People here like to tout them as a blue print to emulate. Well. The have their prospects play a minimum two years in the AHL.

I’ve said it before and I will say it again. The Habs should concentrate on having their prospects learn to win. They need to build for a Calder Cup. Then when the youngsters have taught themselves what it means to be a champion they can come up to the NHL and bring that mentality to the Habs. Otherwise they will learn how to be mediocre.

This is rebuild time. The Habs are not going to be a contender for the Cup next season. If they play their cards right however they can be a contender starting in 2015. Otherwise it will be more of the same just making the play-offs. Moslon said he wants to break that cycle.

Expect the Habs to finish 20th next season at best. Get used to it. This is a club that is hurting big time. Rushing their prospects will only set the team back to where they’ve been for close to 20 years. Middle of the pack and fighting for final berths.

It will be 1-2 years of sucking minimum for this team. If they’re smart. Otherwise it will be 20 more years of mediocrity with nary a Stanley Cup final in sight.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Well said Sookieman and HardHabits. I sometimes get carried away myself and wonder if Jared Tinordi would be ready to take the #5 defenceman spot, be our physical D-man we’ll need next year, then I catch myself and think long term. Let’s get those kids to be a stacked team in Hamilton and compete with each other for callups and be a team and win together.

Instead of chasing Bryan Allen with big money and a lot of years next season, let’s agree that he wouldn’t be the missing piece that would put us over the top, but might be the contract that hampers our flexibility down the road.

So let’s sign a cheaper option, like Shane O’Brien or Mike Commodore to plug a hole for a couple years, and let the kids simmer for a season or two. Also, Mark Mitera fits the profile of the physical defenceman, let’s give that guy a long look next year.

• FanCritic says:

Sookieman – good post, I think you hit it right on. even a few years in the AHL some will only be 4th liners or AHL’ers.

• Deano says:

No one can argue that Parise would be an excellent addition. Still to have a legitimate run at a cup, a stud Centre and stud Defenceman are required. Make one subsitution above (DD for any big stud Centre) and add a big stud Defenceman (to share the load with PK, Markova and Georges) and then I like what I see in the line up.

• Max_a_million says:

Pretty Solid, and doable (unlike many such posts)

19. habs001 says:

Even if murray was available the only way the habs would take him is if they were sure they can sign parise and gallagher makes the team and has some impact …on the other hand with pk and the other d we have as prospects if we put together a team of 4 allstar d in 2-3 years with scoring ability it would make some of our 15 goal forwards into 20-25 scorers…if murray is that good it good be an interesting selection…

A truly respectable season ends with the defeat of the Leafs at home tomorrow night.! Dollar wise that is.

But the fans that had to drink e-coli in their beer all season, deserve a ton better out of the ownership. Let’s just see what Geoff Molson is made of over the next few weeks!!

21. boing007 says:

Au revoir Bouffe à l’eau.

Richard R

22. alwayssunny says:

Can you trade a player for nothing? “Here you can have our first rounder but you have to take Gomez and Kaberle too”

• Mike D says:

No, but there’s always the proverbial “Future Considerations” that can be accepted in return.

I actually don’t think Kaberle will be that difficult to trade. Not saying it’s going to be easy either, but I think we can move him if we want….though we won’t get a good return.

- Honestly yours
      Twitter: @de_benny

• alwayssunny says:

I’ve heard it said and I can’t say you are wrong, anything is possible, but I can’t believe he is tradeable, unless someone has a similar albatross. It was an unthinkable trade, Gauthier was made a fool of. He wasn’t even getting many minutes until Pierre went to visit and they showcased the hell out of him. He is lazy, he has no commitment at all. The Bruins were disgusted with him, Carolina gave him a shot and he rewarded them by showing up in camp looking like chris farley. They were so happy to be rid of him that Rutherford couldnt resist applauding the fact that he was rid of him publicly. His skills have clearly been declining and he has zero work ethic to make up for it.

• alwayssunny says:

Butn hey, he gets half a point a game. That’s all that matters for some fans around here. This message board is a den of complacency. Where else could you have it proven to you that Gainey and Gauthier did a great job, that Price is the best goalie in the NHL, and that this team was just an injury or two away from being a contender. The worst thing that could have happened to us was knocking out the Pens and Caps a few years ago, blowing sunshine up the asses of the easily swayed. The most lopsided hockey I have ever seen was that Caps series, we should have been blown out every game except for the game Price started which i think was pretty even.

• habstrinifan says:

Checked you know where… not a hint of light. So I know I aint one of ‘them’.

• Strummer says:

Stop lumping Kaberle in with Gomer.
      There is no NTC and his salary is managable and he contributes offensively

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

I agree.
        He’s soft as they come, but not completely useless and ineffective.

• Chorske says:

He comes pretty close to being completely useless and ineffective, actually. Comparing Gomez and Kaberle is like comparing warts- one may be smaller than the other but, still: EWW, WARTS.

• alwayssunny says:

Man I can’t imagine two more similar examples. But you have your opinion and I have mine. Lets see how we feel in two years if he hasn’t been released. Guys don’t often suddenly develop a competitive streak at 34 years old.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Those two can easily be lumped together: players on the downside of their career who are contributing nothing in proportion to their compensation and cap hit. We can agree that Scott Gomez is perhaps an order of magnitude worse than Mr. Kaberle, but the team would benefit greatly from both of these anchors being heaved overboard and the rope chopped off.

23. habstrinifan says:

No Russian flake in this years draft. nor ‘best Quebec forward in first or maybe second round.

Back to your closet now.

24. Mattyleg says:

Glad to see we played hard last night, and that this Saturday’s game won’t become a bizarre lose-fest because of the completely idiotic way that the draft is alloted.

God damn, they really have to change the way it’s done.
    20% for all bottom-five finishers, I’d say.
    Otherwise you run the risk of teams trying to out-lose each other.

This season is disappointing for me because we lose the moral high-ground of never having to resort to taking advantage of the dumb-ass Bettman Draft. I still don’t like it, and don’t think that a #1 pick will be the saviour that everyone thinks it will be.

Ask Columbus how Rick Nash turned out for them, and ask Detroit how they’ve done without a top-five in 30 years (give or take 20).

I just can’t get excited about this.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Lose the moral high ground?

What moral high ground, we’ve been garbage to mediocre at best for 18 years?

We sure showed Bettman!

• Mattyleg says:

Never mind, I can’t expect you to understand.
        Here:
        Yess!! A number 1-3 draft pick will ensure that we’re amazing forever!! Awesome!!! I can’t wait to win the Stanley Cup 16 times in a row because of it, and then when we start to waver, desperately hope that we finish dead last again so I can cheer for other teams all season, and then we can get another #1-3 pick and be amazing all over again!!

That’s what you prefer to hear/believe.
        Have a blast.

• alwayssunny says:

Guess all the Habs fans will be wearing their Leafs jerseys on Saturday.

• Thomas Le Fan says:

You have a point, I suppose, as far as saying that these picks guarantee nothing. Edmonton is about to get yet another top pick, after all. Two number ones in a row and they finish, second last? However, maybe some of us are merely hoping that some good can come from this pathetic season. Futility prizes are fun! Thanks for coming out.

• HardHabits says:

Teams can’t rely solely on high draft picks to be a contender. Late round gems need to be part of the equation.

• Mattyleg says:

I agree that it’s nice to think that something good can come of this miserable season, but it has just irked me that so many people were actually looking forward to us doing badly in the (somewhat) misguided hope that it will spell great things for the future.

You’re dead right about Edmonton, and Columbus, Atlanta, Florida etc are all examples of how top picks don’t always work out. I’m not saying that we’re as bad as those teams, mind you.

The draft is just effed for rewarding shittiness and negative “support” from fans who find it easier to see gloom than good.

• Chorske says:

I’m not part of the tanking brigade, I generally make good sport of them. But the fact is that the system is set up precisely to help struggling teams rebuild. It’s not a guarantee (see Edmonton & Columbus) but it can sometimes produce entertaining winners (Chicago, Pittsburgh). There is no dishonor or dishonesty in developing a team via the draft- and as I said below, it seems more honorable to pick a guy and develop him than to lazily sign FAs and dump them in the minors if they don’t work out.

• Chorske says:

While I will never be happy about a 28th place finish, one could hardly accuse this team of having lost any moral high ground, for two reasons: one, everyone agrees that the most reliable way to build up a winner is through a draft- it seems more honest to me to develop that way rather than by signing bazillion dollar FAs, at any rate; and two, this team did not quit, won games that actually risked pushing the team back in next year’s draft.

I actually think this horrible season is ending with some bright spots: three 60 point guys, an amazing year for Cole that proves that FAs can find success here, some late season character wins, no sign of tanking. I certainly don’t think it’s valuable to compare this team to Columbus (who are really truly awful) and Detroit (who are far better managed and have been for years).

• Mattyleg says:

For sure, the way forward is the draft, but the Bettman Bounty of top picks for suckitude is garbage.

I know that we played hard and did our best considering the massive amount of injuries we had all season paired with ill-timed slumps, and I only see the good in the Canadiens. I’m the last person you’ll find saying “They Suck” etc. and I’m thrilled at how well our 1st line played and that we have some nice-looking 4th liners coming through the system, plus a d-corps with their first seasons behind them.

Detroit is the goal, though, innit? Isn’t that the way any team should want to be run? I have to wonder about them, though. Once their late-round tyros like Zett and Dats get close to retirement, will they have any more aces up their sleeves?

• Chorske says:

Totally agree that Detroit level consistency is the goal, for sure. 100%.

I’m not sure I get what you mean by Bettman Bounty- there are two ways this could go: you either flat out give teams picks in reverse order of standings (i.e. #30 automatically gets #1 pick), which IMO would reward tanking more directly than the OTHER way top set it up- the lottery- where the bottom six or so teams all have a chance (however slight) at the #1 pick.

• Mattyleg says:

I think it should be an even lottery across the league.
            If a good team gets a good player, that’s just luck.
            Badly-managed teams should not be given ‘get-out-of-jail-free’ cards.
            If I had a business and I ran it into the ground through ineptitude, the government doesn’t give me a million dollars to get it back up to be part of the economy again.

Perhaps getting the #1 pick from finishing last should mean that you have to get rid of your entire head office as a means of ensuring that you don’t make a complete balls of it again!

25. PrimeTime says:

From what I read there doesn’t seem to be any Crosby’s or Taveres’s in the top 5 of this years draft. But whoever we pick the fans will have the expections for that kind of talent. I wonder if the fans will jump all over the drafted player, the new GM, or the new Coach?? Maybe all the above! I don’t see things getting better around here. I remain true to the belief that this team needs changes, but 1, 2, or 3 high drafts pick is not the solution Molson is seeking or the majority of fans want.

• Hobie Hansen says:

There’s the possibility of trades or UFA signings but more realistically the real improvement of the team will occur after our 1st round pick this summer and our prospects like Tinordi, Beaulieu, Gallagher and Bournival start getting comfortable over the next 1 to 4 years….be patient my son.

• New says:

You’re absolutely right. The draft is a no-win situation for the new GM. It will be three years before any of these kids become NHL players but the fans and worse, the media, are looking for magic.

26. habs001 says:

Sats game if habs win good chance leafs get 4th pick…leafs win they may drop to 8th pick…i believe habs will win and hopefully no pay back to the leafs from the nhl for $$$ they provided to the league in the form of winning the draft….on the other hand if leafs win probably islanders would get 4th

27. Mike D says:

Most useless comment of the day…and it’s not even close.

- Honestly yours
    Twitter: @de_benny

28. HabFab says:

The best Quebecois player will go end of 2nd or top of 3rd round. Nada zip!

29. JohnBellyful says:

TORONTO – Leafs GM Brian Burke has given the Montreal Canadiens permission to talk to him about becoming their next general manager.
    “This is a team in trouble, and I think I’m the man who can help bring back their glory,” Burke told a lineup at Starbucks. “I know they’re looking for a fellow who can speak French and I’ll be upfront with you – Caffè Americano, please – I’m not a francophone, but I am frank. I speak my mind and then some, and Montreal could use a straight-shooter.
    “And don’t forget, I’m a Harvard Law School graduate, so learning French won’t be a problem. I’ll be truculently fluent and fluently truculent by the end of the summer, just you wait – could I have a Petites Cherry Pie? Merci, See how it easy it is? Hey, wait a minute, make that a Petites Apple Pie! Cherry leaves a bad taste in my mouth.”
    The Leafs GM was berated by several customers about “jumping ship” while many more others cheered his announcement but Burke huffily defended his move, while sipping from a cup of arrogance and nibbling on some indignation.
    “Abandon ship??? What are you talking about? This team is well-positioned to make a run for the Stanley Cup. If I were to go, this team would be left in great shape. Folks, I’m the architect responsible for Vancouver Canucks making the Stanley Cup finals last season – who drafted the Sedins, remember? – and I put the finishing touches on the Anaheim team that won it in 2007. My work here is done, it’s Montreal that now can use my guiding hand. I see a team a piece or two away from winning it all, and I know I can pull it all together.”
    Burke also played the Irish card, noting he and the founder of the Montreal Canadiens, J. Ambrose O’Brien, can trace their ancestry to the Emerald Isle.
    “I’m proud of my roots, just like the Canadiens are proud of their roots. I make a point of talking up the country of my forefathers whenever I can. People who know me will tell you that. They say I raise Eire wherever I go.”
    “And if I went to Montreal, you can bet I would there, too.”

30. habsfanforever7631 says:

There are good forwards in this draft, but there is also vary good dmen.
    What would you guys pick if you had a chance, a forward or someone like Dumba?

• RGM says:

Forward. This team needs scoring…badly.

———————–
      GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
      “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

• neumann103 says:

Take whichever of Grigorenko or Galchenyuk is available.

Or trade down and take Forsberg plus get something else (pick, prospect)

“Et le but!”

• Hobie Hansen says:

Apparently Dumba is a sure bet, NHL ready, physical defenseman. Don’t think the Habs will pick a defenseman but it would suck if he turns out great and we pick lower ranked forward that ends up being so/so. Guess that’s the chance each team takes.

• zig616 says:

Grigorenko, but I also like Forsberg. I hope that whoever we take they live up to their potential. I would hate to get a Ryan Leaf.

• New says:

Yes there are some good young players in the draft. Everybody has their favorites. I imagine there will be some hard decisions made on trying to find ones that are remotely close to NHL ready. All the more reason to select a competent GM who can work with his scouts.

Dumba would be as good a choice as any. Character and maturity will have a lot to do with anybody from this draft year making it. I don’t think there is very much difference between any of the top 30 or so.

• kempie says:

In this order:

1. Yakupov
      2. Grigorenko
      3. Galchenyuk
      4. Faksa

We should be able to get one of those guys and I’d be happy with any of them.

31. Price07 says:

So annoyed that we keep picking up points here and there. If we lose our last game and the oilers win, we get to move up to second in the draft though…i’m hoping thats the case, I really want Grigorenko and I’m worried we won’t get him unless we pick second.

• longbow says:

Edmonton need defense. I’m not worried at all about who we end up with. If the draft order stays as it is I’m pretty sure Columbus takes Yakupov,Edmonton takes a Dman and we have our choice of Grigorenko or Galchenyuk. Even if Edmonton takes Grigs then ending up with Gally might not be so bad.I’m more concerned with the idea of the laffs winning the lottery.That would be sad !

“A constant smirk upon the face, and a whiffing activity of the body, are strong indications of futility.” Lord Chesterfield

• New says:

You’re right. Edmonton does need defense. Would you go for a D-man with the 2 and 32nd or would you trade the picks for a stud already playing? A sure bet? Or go UFA all over Nashville’s roster and trade that 2nd to Toronto for say another?

32. zig616 says:

Anybody going to the draft this year? Live in philly so for me the trek to Pitt would not be a bad drive. It will be great to see the Habs with a top 5 pick, hopefully hands crossed #1. Looking to make it a weekend for my 40th birthday. Draft, Golf, maybe a pirates game. Wife thinks I am crazy but hey when you are a die hard habs/hockey fan that’s what we do.

33. jo_maka says:

So, Good Friday wishlist:

GM: Marc Bergevin
    Coach: Patrick Roy
    Head Scouting: Trevor Timmins (if he has to move then Hakan Andersson)
    1st rd pick: Mikhail Grigorenko (a concussed Yakupov if lottery win ? or a torn knee Galchenyuk ?)
    2nd rd: if available, Malcom Subban, Michael Matheson
    or trade up for a Vasilevski (we’re too thin for G depth)
    _________________________________
    Open-mindedness is not a skull fracture

34. Un Canadien errant says:

I’ve been wondering how ‘fair’ it is that the Canadiens ownership might be expected to pay Scott Gomez his full salary in the minors, instead of deciding to grin and bear it for the last two seasons. I wonder materially the same thing about Tomas Kaberle.

Any doubt has been removed by reading this article in La Presse which describes how profitable the team is, despite missing the playoffs and despite having to kick in major funds (around $10 million dollars) in the NHL’s revenue-sharing plan.

Briefly, the Canadiens generated 47.7 million dollars last season. The Leafs generated 81.8 million and the Senators 2.8 million, despite both these teams missing the playoffs. The rule of thumb is that every home game is worth around 2 million dollars.

My contention is that the fans dollars should be reinvested in the team, not only in burying Mr. Gomez, which Geoff Molson seems very open to doing, but also in hiring the best talent and support system for the team management and operations that is feasible, since this isn’t governed by any salary cap. This is one way Les Glorieux can benefit from a competitive advantage over small market teams like the Senators and Blue Jackets.

• HabFab says:

Forbes complete list link; http://www.forbes.com/nhl-valuations/list/#p_1_s_d6_

EDIT – Rangers more Revenue but less Gross Margin, Redden / Avery factor
      - only 12 teams actually will make a profit?? This must be non playoffs. We are heading into another labour crisis I fear.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Interesting list. The playoffs are an important contributor to profits, as they are essentially free money (payroll is roughly unaffected by playing in the post-season but revenue is huge).

The Bruins made a small profit, but that was after going to the Stanley Cup finals. I imagine anything less and they lose money.

The San Jose Sharks were 5th biggest loser, despite going far into the post-season year after year, and going to the conference final last year.

Tampa were 3rd biggest loser despite going to the conference finals and spending way less than the salary cap.

How will San Jose and Tampa ever turn a profit?

Leafs, Habs and Oilers are in the top 5 profit wise despite having played a total of three home playoff games between them.

That’s why the Yotes are moving to Quebec City.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

35. Chrisadiens says:

Where is Malcolm Subban expected to be drafted? Is it possible the leafs draft him early on if they fall to the 7 th pick?

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

I tried to put up a link, it did not work out.!!

37. Mr_MacDougall says:

@ Tom Nickle, I was not saying that the Habs will “fudge” their first round pick this year, just that there is a lot of pressure on the it. IMO the pressure is undeniable.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Well you have to hope that after the pick is made that the new GM and Coach and the organization allow the player to breathe and work him into the lineup and keep the media at bay.

38. Un Canadien errant says:

Just caught this while reading the Globe and Mail: Ryan Clowe reached for and touched the puck while he was on the bench, nullifying a Kings rush at the end of a tie game. Sharks won in the shootout.

It’s probably an instinctive move by the player, I’m surprised we don’t see those more often. There’s footage of football players being tackled as they race down the sidelines for a sure touchdown by a member of the opposite team who is not allowed on the field at the time.

Mr. Clowe probably reacted, instead of making a conscious decision that he would try to mess up the play and hope to not get caught because of the refs’ positioning. Having said that, there should be a stern message sent from the league that this won’t be tolerated, although I’m not sure how they can indemnify the Kings on this one.

• NCRhabsfan says:

I say reverse the outcome of the game. Award the two points to LA and take them away from the Sharks. You don’t have to do anything to Clowe then, his teammates will take care of that. That may sound drastic, but the NHL awards a goal when a player throws his stick when the net is open and this isn’t that much different. If the NHL doesn’t take a dramatic stand they will have players up to all kinds of nonsense from the bench.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I’m not averse to your way of thinking. That would send the strong message. Of course, a lot of analysts would yap that it’s ‘too late to do anything’ about it.

This situation is one of many that convinces me that the NHL must install a video referee at every game to look at these issues as well as incidents of violence and thuggery that get overlooked because the on-ice refs aren’t in position to see them or because they happen too fast to judge the nature of the play.

How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

Un Canadien errant has summed up the tanking/maneuvering issue quite nicely during the past few months.

With that in mind, here’s an interesting thought from the Toronto perspective. Three years ago, Boyd Devereaux scored an unlikely hat trick on the last night of the season to give the laffs an unexpected win over Ottawa. That final game result meant that Toronto drafted 7th instead of 5th. The result? They had to take Kadri instead of getting Brayden Schenn.

Fast forward to tomorrow night. Right now the laffs are sitting 5th in terms of the draft. If they beat Montreal, Toronto could conceivably fall back to 7th or 8th. That could be the one game difference maker of missing out on a Forsberg or a Galchenyuk.

Go Leafs Go!

• Un Canadien errant says:

The thing is, the Leafs have plausible deniability. Their goaltending is execrable. The morale of the team has cratered. The coaches are in a solid position contractually and are tight with the GM, they can ‘experiment’ for next season, maybe try Luke Schenn at forward to see if he can be the physical scoring winger they’ve been seeking.

Be afraid.

• Clay says:

You have a diabolical mind – and you have managed to completely convince me to cheer for the Leafs in the final game. Well done sir!

__________________________
      ☞ Wow, that’s a nice lookin’ pair of Crocs!” Said no one ever.☜

• HabFanSince72 says:

I thought I could cheer for the Habs Saturday.

We’re third. We will be third.

For us to move up the Oilers would have to beat the Canucks in Vancouver, with the Nucks wanting the win in order to finish first overall.

But now I see I have to cheer for the Leafs anyhow.

I’m going to Joe Beef Saturday. Will enjoy dinner and check the scores when I get home, and will be happy either way.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• HabFab says:

Is Joe Beef the old Joe’s Steakhouse?

• HabFanSince72 says:

I don’t think so. Joe Beef is on Notre-Dame near the Atwater market.

It’s named after a real person – Joe Beef – English soldier who opened up a tavern, fed the poor for free, but everyone else better pay because he had a live bear in the basement.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• habs001 says:

on the other where is a quality draft player more dangerous leafs or islanders… lol…never mind both organizations screw up…

• habfan01 says:

Just put Gomez in goal

40. naweed235 says:

Boys and girls, I am happy to officially announce that the Habs will win the lotto and pick Mr. Nail Yakupov. “Why so sure” you ask? Well, I dreamt it. Also, in my dream Cammaleri was dating a cirque de soleil dancer that somehow ended up pushing me off a plane into fleuve St-Laurent…
    Now that I think about it, that was a pretty messed up dream. Gotta layoff the … umm I forgot

41. rogieshan says:

As has been suggested, I wonder if the new GM would consider moving the pick for a more ready prospect such as Jonathan Huberdeau or Evgeny Kuznetsov? I realize it’s more exciting for the fans to anticipate the draft, but the Senators last year traded a late, first-round pick to St. Louis for their first pick a year earlier, David Rundblad, and then moved him to Phoenix for Kyle Turris, who was himself a top-3 pick.

42. JohnBellyful says:

Josh Gorges is the unsung hero no more:

Josh, Josh, Josh, you were an unclaimed pearl
    Wasn’t picked up in the draft, but look who got the final laugh
    We’re all glad the Habs gave you a whirl

[Instrumental]

Josh, Josh, Josh, a hero who’s unsung
    Blockin’ shots with skates and pads, elbows, shoulders and gonads
    You’re not afraid to have your bell get rung

Josh, Josh, Josh, the Rocket from Kelowna
    Captain of the country’s best (a junior team from way out west)
    A real nice guy, he’s no prima donna

Josh, Josh, Josh, you were an unclaimed pearl
    Wasn’t picked up in the draft, but look who got the final laugh
    We’re all glad the Habs gave you a whirl

[Instrumental]

Josh, Josh, Josh, steady as a rock
    A quiet man of destiny, played six years without a knee
    Why even pain you have the knack to block

Josh, Josh, Josh, the season’s at an end
    The team placed last, sad but true, but it never was because of you
    You did your job and that was to defend

Josh, Josh, Josh, a trophy you have won
    For dominating in your role, playing D not scoring goals
    (Now if only I could come up with a pun)
    (How about this, he is a Gorges one)

• Un Canadien errant says:

Am I crazy or can this be sung also to Stompin’ Tom’s “The Hockey Song”?

• JohnBellyful says:

I would never call a fellow HIO member crazy but just for argument’s sake, suppose I did, just in this case, would you get help, would it turn your life around, would the world benefit from a new and improved Un Canadien errant?
        See the position you’ve put me in. I say, no, you’re not crazy, and it turns out you are and someone down the road suffers because I remained silent.
        But if I say, yes, you’re nuts, but you’re not, what does that do to your self-esteem? Do you become introverted, withdrawn and can no longer function as a contributing member of society.
        And if you are cuckoo, will being told you’re wacko drive you over the top to commit anti-social acts where before you were content to post learned treatises on what ails the Canadiens, and someone down the road suffers because I spoke up.
        See the dilemma you’ve put me in, Un Canadien errant? I don’t know what to say.
        Hmmmmmm….
        Okay, here goes: Yes, it can be sung to Stompin’ Tom’s ‘The Hockey Song’ but don’t come crawlin’ to me when he sues your butt off.

• Un Canadien errant says:

These are weighty issues. I can now see why when Michel Bergeron whines on l’Antichambre “Ch’tu fou, moi?”, that the other panelists guffaw and gloss over the possibly not rhetorical question and deftly move the discussion to another track.

A couple weeks ago we were having a meeting which started at the tail end of a training session in which a few of us were getting more hands-on help with a software management tool we’re using. My screen was being projected on the meeting room big screen, and as we were wrapping things up and the meeting attendees were gathering and taking up their spots around the table, an issue which I’d been having popped up on the screen. I pointed at it triumphantly and cried out: “You see, I’m not crazy!”, to all-round laughter, until the Fire Chief quipped: “No, you are crazy, just not about this”. I had to sit there and smile ruefully and agreeably while the entire universe coalesced against me. But I don’t need to seek help.

• JohnBellyful says:

I didn’t think so, but I didn’t want to give the impression I had sloughed off your question without giving it due consideration.
            My sanity has been questioned at times, as well, but by the other personalities in my mind who have no credibility.

Crackin’ stuff!!!

Inspiring.

43. Un Canadien errant says:

**Edit: this was meant to post on the thread started by Tom Nickle about Chris Campoli’s improved play of late.**

Good. Glad I’m not the only one who noticed that his play has seemed to pick up lately, but I didn’t have the ‘courage’ to state this opinion. It appears to be safe to come out of hiding now.

The remarks that the injuries he suffered early in the season may have still been affecting him are well-taken. We’ve all seen him skate with more authority lately, and dish out some good hits.

Bryan Allen will get too many offers to be a cost effective option for us. Plus I’ve seen him play when he was in Vancouver, and I was never impressed. His only noteworthy trait was his first-rounder status and his height.

I can abide Mr. Campoli’s presence on my team as opposed to Tomas Kaberle. Raphaël Diaz can be safely tucked away in Hamilton for next season. Yannick Weber should be kept at least as a tradeable asset for the start of next season.

We can survive next season with these guys while the prospects mature in Hamilton and thus be ready for their promotion in 2013 instead of being tied down to long term free agent contracts.

• HabFab says:

Good luck with that ;) Said the same a week ago and got jumped but what do they know? :)
      Except I hope he is not back next year, want to be better thank you.

• neumann103 says:

A couple of games ago I remarked on how much better Campoli was playing and how RC seemed to be playing him a ton. I took the latter as being a reward for the former AND possibly RC giving Campoli a late season audition tape to win a job next year. I didn’t/don’t think it would be with the Habs.

“Et le but!”

44. Un Canadien errant says:

I’m not sure if I started this meme on here, but I did warn the Commentariat a few weeks ago that the report on Mikhail’s Grigorenko’s ‘laziness’ could be a smokescreen for a team trying to engineer a player falling into their laps at the draft.

I don’t have a lot of knowledge about the NHL draft, but this is a common practice at the NFL draft. It victimizes a lot of African-American players, who are subject to innuendo about their drug use, ‘girlfriend trouble’ à la Antonio Cromartie (Google him) or their smarts, as reflected by the Wonderlic test. A.J. Smith, the GM of the San Diego Chargers, spoke about this and the secrecy and paranoia that exists in draft rooms as they prepare their boards, quipping: “April is Liar’s Month in the NFL.”

So this possibility reduces us to taking every unattributed report with a grain of salt. I’ll trust those on here who have scouted these players, either live or at least by watching a few of their games on TV, but better yet I’ll defer to the Canadiens’ scouting staff and Trevor Timmins.

• HabFab says:

Agree with the Timmins and staff having the say. I have seen him play twice and not that impressed BUT I’m not a professional plus you can’t judge over two games. My comment was more Yashin then Makin, certainly big enough and talented but didn’t seem that involved / inspired / whatever. His winger Duclair, was much more visible but he goes next year (6th-8th ranked at present) and a favourite of Ed Lopez.

• habstrinifan says:

Interesting. Although I wont compare how NFL views their players with how NHL views theirs.

Gorgeous day in Southern Ontario on this beautiful Good Friday, time to hit the Links! Have a nice Easter everyone.

• Old Bald Bird says:

It looks like we will get a very decent forward, no matter what. We don’t seem to need to draft another D unless he is Bobby Orr II.

46. JayBee says:

So apparently Muller wanted to coach the Bulldogs last year and the great Gauthier/PG tandem whom I said was poop and would always be poop sent him packing. Muller was pushed out.

So Tom Nickle brings up an interesting point, that Jacques Beaulieu (Nathan’s father, fasher for any Dutch out there) is the coach in Sarnia watching over Galchenyuk and Yakupov.

Soooo my question is this, does Nathan’s relationship with the Habs open up the door for someone in Habs mgmt (Timmins perhaps) to have a little sitdown with Jacques and pick his brain about these two? Galchenyuk the most, given we are most likely to have an opportunity to draft him.

Is there any rules preventing such conversations, I can’t see it being the case. But I would hope that perhaps Mr. Beaulieu could provide some real honest insight.

• HabFab says:

Believe it to be the norm to talk to Junior coaches and stickboys about players. The Junior teams actually get money for the players they develop for the NHL.

Yah thought so, but my concern is that most Junior Coaches want their players drafted high as possible. I am wondering if some “extra” honest insights may be provided due to the relationship with the Habs through his son.

• JayK-47 says:

As someone who had to go through annual Sarbanes-Oxley training in my prior career, I don’t see a conflict of interest but rather, a company performing due diligence. Now if Mr. Beaulieu were coaching an AHL team? That’d concern me.

• TomNickle says:

Coaches very often give critical analysis of players that would be considered harsh. When they give endorsements their names are attached to the player, and if they have career aspirations, it can be very damaging.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

I would say the Habs scouting department would use any inside information they have available. Could you imagine being the person that has to take “ownership” of this upcoming first round draft selection?

I know they have to plan for the later rounds too, but, the scouting department has not had many opportunities to draft the high end talent they will this year.

• TomNickle says:

There hasn’t been a bad top 5 pick in the draft since the lockout to my knowledge. They aren’t exactly splitting the atom with this pick.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

Yeah, consider the backlash if they “blow it.”

Don’t underestimate the “extreme pressure.”

Pouliot #4 2005
          Turris #3 Hickey #4 2007
          Luke Schenn #5 2008
          Nino Niederreiter #5 2010

So, you are right, nearly all the top 5 picks “post lockout” have impact potential.

• TomNickle says:

My point is that they can’t blow it.

They’re essentially guaranteed a top 4 pick.

Yakupov, Grigorenko, Galchenyuk and Murray or Dumba should be the consensus top 4 and that’s probably the consensus top 5 of the draft with those names. They can’t screw it up.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

IMO if the pick turns out like Turris or Schenn, it has been “blown.”

• TomNickle says:

In fairness Pouliot has all of the tools and anyone can see that, he just can’t get out of his own head.

Turris was a tier two player that was selected because Gretzky pulled rank as an owner, it was a bad pick at that spot.

Schenn was a Burke pick and Niederreiter isn’t exactly a bum ya know. He’ll be a highly productive NHL player.

But in the interest levity. You cited the Minnesota Wild, Phoenix Coyotes, Toronto Maple Leafs and New York Islanders with your “busts”.

This team hasn’t made a blunder of a first round pick since David Fischer and haven’t had made a selection this high since selecting Carey Price. I think that when you take a look at that first round of the 2005 draft, Price was a great selection based on what was taken after him and it demonstrates that this team has a pretty good handle on how to avoid busts with the high pick.

48. TomNickle says:

Assuming Markov, Subban, Emelin and Gorges are back next season and Diaz, Weber and Kaberle are not part of the equation on defense, I would be comfortable with Chris Campoli being brought back as a #5/#6 defenseman as a stop gap measure until Tinordi or Beaulieu are ready.

He started the year very poorly and some of that probably could be attributed to Ryan Malone’s attack on him. When the trade deadline passed he became a bright spot on the team in my opinion. He competes just as hard if not harder than anyone else we have on defense and while he does still make some mistakes he often corrects them quickly and sacrifices for the team.

Not many pending UFA’s would have blocked the shot that he did last night with one game to go in a lost season.

I like the cut of his jib.

• LafleurGuy says:

That was a vicious head shot Campoli took, and having happened soonafter Crony Shanahan docked Wisnieski about 0.5 million in salary through an imposed 8 game suspension, it forecasted the impotence of Shanny’s work in diminishing and deterring head shots.

But also, Campoli tore a hamstring in game one of the season which will not be fully healed until 6 to 12 months after occurence.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• Mr_MacDougall says:

Wow, I am not sure if you are serious. Praise for Campoli? The player that made a “feed” to Alex Burrows to cost the Hawks in game 7 overtime, and was “run out of town.”

I also wonder why you would assume Kaberle is “not part of the equation.” Like it or not, he has put up points consistently throughout his career while rarely getting injured, at a decent cap hit of 4.25 mill. You must also not that Markov is likely the “stop gap measure” until Tinordi and Beaulieu are ready to contribute.

Looking at the D moving forward, I see some glaring weakness in toughness. Here is how I see it (not to say your analysis is wrong, because I am no GM).

Markov-UFA/Subban
      Gorges-UFASubban
      Kaberle-Emelin

The UFA position would ideally be filled by Ryan Suter (and paired with Markov) but the likelihood of that is very, very slim, if not impossible. My choice would be Bryan Allen, who at best is a number 3 D, but would fit better as a number4. He is big, physical, and defensively sound. He and Gorges would be among the leagues elite shutdown defensive pairing IMO. I do realize Kaberle makes a lot to be on the bottom pairing, but he would also be the QB of the 2nd PP unit.

• JayBee says:

Kaberle is awful. How in the hell do you consider him a “decent cap hit”? Pierre, is that you?

• TomNickle says:

First of all. If you’d like to explain that Campoli hasn’t been competing hard it isn’t very logical to point out a play that happened this time last year. A play that by the way was not indicative in any way of a lack of effort.

Campoli actually comes at a quarter of the price of Kaberle and produces half of the production Kaberle does in a lesser role. Given Kaberle’s opportunity to see first unit powerplay time Campoli could easily produce to a level close to what Kaberle does offensively, be less of a liability defensively and be signed for a quarter of the cost.

I am no fan of Campoli, but he has played much better the last part of the season. Many potential reasons, didn’t really have any training camp (signed late), was hurt immediately and again returned to lineup probably not in good physical condition.

Thing about Campoli, that many miss is that Chicago indeed wanted to retain his services, but he wanted much more money and the arbitrator essentially sided with the player. So Chicago said good bye.

If this team has to resort to bringing Campoli back as a 6th7th dman it wouldn’t be the end of the world. However, we cannot have the glut of dmen Weber/Diaz/Kaberle/St.Denis who simply cannot bring a physical presence to the game.

Emelin and PK need some physical support as they cannot be expected to be the only two dmen providing pushback around the crease.

• Mike D says:

You make some good points, but I’d rather keep Weber than Campoli to be honest. He had a lousy year and regressed from the previous season, but I like him and think he has potential. I’d even prefer Diaz to Campoli.

I certainly could be wrong, but something tells me Campoli’s inspired play of late is more due to him trying to secure employment in the NHL next year.

- Honestly yours
      Twitter: @de_benny

• blazend says:

Tom, you made some interesting points in this thread, but Campoli over Diaz….come on man! Diaz has more offensive upside than Campoli, is better defensively, and is cheaper. I couldn’t disagree with you more on this one.

49. Chrisadiens says:

The most important number right now. 14.4% This is the chance MTL has to move up to the 1 spot. If EDM beats VAN and MTL loses to the Laffs…that number will increase to 18.8%. Not really much of a difference. It all likely hood EDM will be taking Murray so we will get our player. Grigs or Gal will be great but getting Yak would be awesome. Lets hope we all get lucky. (Giggity)
    Happy Easter to all as well.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

50. habstrinifan says:

A reflective Good Friday morninto everyone.

Thank you to Un Canadien Errant for your complete transaltion of the Gino Odjick comments.

Maybe he has a point. Michel Therrien for coach?

I would find it even more attractive if he is teamed with Guy Carbonneau. I like Carbonneau’s read of on-ice proceedings. And Carbonneau has a treasure of experience and knowledge from Gainey and Jarvis etc as to how a 3rd line shutdown-pk line-puck-hugging line can play and change the tempo of an opponent taking over a game. The HABS need this element badly.

I am not sure re Brisebois for GM… but what do I know.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Kirk Muller was interviewed before the game and he thought Carbo should be GM.

Carbo hasn’t impressed me as a hockey analyst but this may be due to a lack of verbal fluency rather than a lack of ideas.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• TomNickle says:

Carbonneau has strong relationships with junior coaches and was credited with finding guys like St. Denis and Desharnais but my issue with Carbonneau would be that he was canned as coach for a lack of communication. Probably not the best characteristic to have shortcomings in for a GM.

• habstrinifan says:

GM .. wow. I posted that one of the main characteristics of GM’s like Ron Caron for instance is that they WORKED HARD. Simply because the lived to be exactly what they were… hockey crazy minds.

PG didnt strike me the same.
        BG was befell by too many personal tragedies to retain his zeal.
        Houle was a __________ how do you say it in french?
        Serge Savard became embroiled making a fortune.
        Grundman(wasnt he a GM) was _________ .
        Etc Etc…

We havent had a GM in Montreal for a while now that people could have honestly described someone who breathes and eats hockey 24/7. Carbonneau based on everything publicly available is not that type of guy.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I agree HFS72, Guy Carbonneau doesn’t come across very well on that show sometimes, especially when Michel Bergeron or Mario Tremblay shout over him. It may not be the best arena to sell himself or demonstrate his fitness for the position.

I think Serge Savard and Geoff Molson are in an ideal position to decide if Mr. Carbonneau can be an effective member of the management team, or the coaching staff. I don’t doubt the validity of Kirk Muller’s thoughts either. I just have problems seeing him stacking up against the strong candidates that are being evaluated right now as the best one.

• Captain aHab says:

I always thought Therrien got a raw deal in Pittsburgh being fired just before one of his top d-men came back from injury. Wouldn’t mind seeing him coach actually.

—————-
      Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

• LafleurGuy says:

I would like to point out Carbonneau’s show of loyalty to the Canadiens when he tipped the Canadiens brass on the value of free agent David Desharnais. True, Carbonneau makes income from analyzing the undertakings of the Canadiens, and true he was part-owner of the Chicoutimi Saugeneens, but this “thread” yielded us a top-notch player who is signed on for 0.9 million in the upcoming lockout year.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• habstrinifan says:

Yes Carbonneau is a good Habs. And he was one of the first on RDS to suggest that Cunneyworth should be given a chance to be the head coach if it worked out.

Unforunately I dont think it has.

I have supported Carbonneau for coach in from day 1. And it would be great to hire him and have him be involved and developed as a future GM. But I dont see him in the GM job tomorrow… and we need someone who can do the job tomorrow.

• BJ says:

Whats happens to l’Antichambre with both those guys gone?

• habstrinifan says:

We do an intensive search for an ex-habs employee who can speak French and sublimely ignore gloss over what happened when they were employed.

Or maybe we clone PJ Stock or buy a Rosetta language course for Milbury.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Trinifan, I’ve been accused of mistranslating the words of others to suit my purposes, so I wanted to state that I wrote a summary of his thoughts as it played in the background, not a precise translated transcript. But it was an interesting show, even if I didn’t agree with everything that was said or advocated on it.

• habstrinifan says:

Funny. It seems that every post I read lately contains sometthing that could have been guilty of. Maybe I have been posting too much. I think I may have been one of the ones who implied such… didnt really mean to (negatively anyways),

51. habs001 says:

28th spot even with the great year maxpac/dd/cole had…3rd year in a row finishing in the bottom 3rd in scoring…

52. HabFanSince72 says:

Any OHL viewers here?

I ask because Galchenyuk and Yakupov’s Sarnia Sting were eliminated from the playoffs in the first round and it looks like neither player did anything (other than be on the ice during opposition goals – Yak was -8 for the 6 game series).

Galchenyuk is coming back from a season long knee injury, and the Yak was felled by a vicious hit to the head with three games to go in the regular season.

And obviously stats don’t tell the whole story.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• TomNickle says:

Well Yakupov quite simply is the best propsect entering the draft since Stamkos. He’s a poor man’s Crosby. He’s incredibly quick with his first couple of strides and would be a well above average skater at the NHL level today.

He can find anybody on the ice with the puck from any position with his passes and is a threat to score from anywhere, but realistically at the NHL level he would be a threat to score from the top of the circles in.

Galchenyuk is a power forward with an elite skill set. Great release on his shot, protects the puck with his body very well and also sees the ice very well, though not as well as Yakupov. He’s fairly raw in terms of reading the play without the puck and that will likely keep him out of the NHL next year and maybe the year after that. Galchenyuk would be very comparable to Vinny Lecavalier.

• LafleurGuy says:

Wonder which of the two is better in shootouts! Actually, the answer should be the Spike, given his high ranking for offensive prowess. We could have gained 4 to 6 points if we won half the shootout games.

Interesting to speculate why the Sting with 2 of the world’s top 3 18 yr. old hockey prospects didn’t go further. Some factors, goaltending, 19 year olds dominating, coaching. Sounds like the Sting resembled the Tampa Bay Lightning in having superstars (hey!, a 70′s term!) but a team with weaknesses. This is a caution for those banking on superstars quickly bringing success.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• Captain aHab says:

The one guy I have seen playing is Grigorenko and what you hear is correct: when he’s on it’s like Donky Kong, when he’s not, it’s like AK46.

—————-
      Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

• TomNickle says:

I’ve seen my share of Grigorenko too and he reminds me very much of Evgeni Malkin. I’ll take an uninterested Malkin over 95% of the players in the NHL

• Captain aHab says:

If the Habs do go with Roy as coach then I would absoutely go with him because of that relationship. But he does worry me a tad.

—————-
          Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

• New says:

HF72 – I’d take that as a “No.” if I were you. Damn good question though.

The Globe and Mail discussing whether or not now may be the time to end the relationship with Don Cherry.

• LafleurGuy says:

Yah, CBC cuts Baby!

“May you live in interesting times.”

• Thomas Le Fan says:

Cuts? Over three years, 115 million out of 3.3 billion not including advertising revenue. These aren’t even scrapes. Besides, love him or hate him, Cherry and Coaches Corner is one of the few success stories at the Ceeb. Maybe they should get rid of Mansbridge and his top secret salary instead.

• Captain aHab says:

He’ll be snapped up by TSN the minute he leaves the CBC.

—————-
      Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

• Psycho29 says:

Interesting comments below the article….Not too many defending that dinosaur Cherry…

54. Habfan10912 says:

EDIT @ Gerald and Steve – Been there for the last month also. Yes Steve and Gerald there is only one more game to endure. Maybe we should all seek some therapy after this season is all said and done. Either that or drink a lot! I am sure I will be speaking to you both but in case I miss you please have a wonderful Holiday and special blessings to you and your families.

55. HabFanSince72 says:

Are the Oilers done tanking or do they have another season in them I wonder?

Remember the Pens and Hawks spent a full five years in the wilderness, and both got cups out of it.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Paul, I actually think they have more left in the tank, I think that team will be in a similar situation next year. Lets say they take Murray the top dman in the draft, that isn’t going to help the team significantly next year, they still have no goaltending and little by way of defenceman. Until that team starts to sign some UFA’s and perhaps make some trades I don’t see their tank running dry.

I am amazed at the fan base in Edmonton, as it still is not clear that the mgmt team in Edmonton will turn this endless walk in the wildnerness into anything.

• Captain aHab says:

Almost certain they will trade that pick for a solid d-man and tell the fans they want to win now. Drafting a d-man probably doesn’t help them quickly enough.

—————-
        Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

• LafleurGuy says:

A capologist would or should make projections of what all the young stars will make not only next year, but the next 2 to 3 years, and this is going to be a problem for the Oilers. To be fair to past admins, the cap was the biggest reason that the Habs lost Souray, Tanguay, and Kovalev for nothing in return. A key question is how many 5+ million contracts can be accomodated in one season. There was speculation in the Klondike city that Sam Gagner would have to be moved not because of competition for ice-time, but because of “competition” for a piece of the capped “salary pie.”

“May you live in interesting times.”

The lottery draft next week means that Montreal will be selecting 1st, 3rd or 4th. If Montreal picks:

1st – Yakupov is the concensus pick.

3rd – Columbus picks Yakupov and Edmonton selects Murray. The Habs then pick Grigorenko. If the Oilers choose Grigorenko, then Montreal has to think about Forsberg or Galchenyuk (or Murray).

4th – The same results as the 3rd pick except Montreal doesn’t have a choice. The Habs will get the player who is left over from the list of Forsberg or Galchenyuk.

This worked out rather well in the end. Montreal gets a great pick while still keeping some pride at the end in terms of not mailing it in (same goes for a lot of clubs). I’m also happy that the Hab-laff game is meaningless. It’s rather fitting in light of how terrible both teams were this season.

• JF says:

Steve – Last night was the one and only game this season which I did not want the Habs to win. Fortunately, our powerplay was hopeless, although it looked good at times, and we maintained our futility in the shootout, even facing a team that had a worse record at it than we did. But I actually thought the team played well, and I was impressed by Budaj, who should be given more starts next season.The game against the Leafs may be meaningless, but I would still love the Habs to win it, thus ending the season on a positive note.

• 24 Cups says:

Jane – I kind of slipped off the rails the past couple of months and you called me on it a few times. I just never thought the team could be this bad or that management could be so utterly useless.

I’m looking forward to a clean slate for all parties concerned.

Let the new five year plan begin. It’s our 4th in nine years which just might be a good omen seeing that it’s Jean Beliveau’s jersey number!

• Habfan10912 says:

Agree JF. I think lack of effort hasn’t been the issue with the team. Lack of talent on a nightly basis is. Markov is looking more and more like his old self. I thought his speed was pre surgerys last night.

• habstrinifan says:

Hope you dont mind me ‘joining in’ this conversation. I think I disagree re Markov. The new GM would do well to make his plans with the premise that Andrei Markov would NOT be the ‘old Markov’ at least for the 1st quarter of the season.. and therefore consider the ‘piece of the puzzle’ needed to at least temporarily fill in.
          Markov has looked quite sub par since his return especially defensively.

Watching the game last night Steve, I could only think of the emotions going on in your head. You have provided for us in the past very thoughtful posts on why this team needs to take advantage of its piss poor season.

I actually found myself in that same thought process last night. For the first time, I really didn’t care if we won the game. I always understood and respected your opinion, but couldn’t get myself to not cheer for a win.

Well I think the standings are what they are now, and I would like to see the season end with a Habs victory over the Weeds.

Happy Easter Steve!

• 24 Cups says:

Right back at you, Gerald!

Saturday’s game will certainly be anti-climatic, especially in light of the Masters (being played) and this wonderful early spring weather.

I’m starting to accept the fact that our team has fallen apart and crumbled into so many broken pieces. It was a tough pill to swallow for a guy who started following the Habs in 1959 as a wide eyed ten year old. I apologize if I have been so negative for the past few months.

I only ask one thing of the new Hab management team – take it slow and steady. No quick fixes, no massive UFA band-aids, no rushing (and then discarding) young players before they have a chance to develop properly. As of this second, I’m all in on the new five year plan, even if that means we have a guy like Roy as coach. I’ll fully support the team moving forward regardless of the new hires.

Old farts like us (and the headmaster) need to see one more Cup before they finally turn out the lights for good.

Time for my hot-cross buns and tea. It’s a time honoured Good Friday tradition that goes back 63 years to when I was raised by my grandmother. Happy Easter, Gerald.

• JF says:

Steve – Your third paragraph is right on. Patience above all is what the new management team will need. Develop our young players properly, don’t overpay for free agents, don’t trade picks or prospects for bandaid solutions. And we need a coach who is good at developing young players, at recognizing their strengths and playing them in roles where they can succeed.

Partial repost:

Be honest now. Did you find yourself hoping that the Hurricanes’ powerplay unit would finally click on their many opportunities in the third period? Did you yell at the ref for not awarding a penalty shot to Eric Staal on his breakaway? How about the chance Chad Larose had with about five seconds left, did you wince when he booted it? Well, despite being a lifelong fan, and despite cheering every nice play (all two of them) les Glorieux made, I was guilty of all the aforementioned infractions. My biggest fear is having the Maple Leafs swiping our draft pick, not another loss at this point of the season.

If as fans we kinda sorta hope the Canadiens kinda sorta don’t win, we can’t fault the Canadiens to kinda sorta play with almost full effort. Guy Carbonneau had a knowing smile on as he explained before the game that for the last two games we could expect our boys to play with the tip of their stick (“du bout du bâton”), without total commitment and less inclination for sacrifice, so as to finish the season healthy and without injuries.

57. HabFanSince72 says:

Have you ever seen any of these players play live or are you just talking for the sake of talking?

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

58. TomNickle says:

Yep I’d bet he’s seen Forsberg play at least a dozen times live. Those lazy Russians can’t hold a candle to those honourable Swedes ya know.

59. LafleurGuy says:

Forgive him, TN!

“May you live in interesting times.”

60. francbiss says:

I’ve seen all the Swedes games at the WJ in Calgary and he also think he’s more complete then any of the Russians. He will be as good as Alfredson.

61. TomNickle says:

Haha. Don’t go there.

62. TomNickle says:

But you’re going on Forsberg being a complimentary player for a team that was stacked with high end talent.

I saw every game that team played in the WJHC too and he was nothing but an effective forechecker. He rarely had any time and space with the puck and didn’t create offense short of firing the puck on net every time it touched his stick in the offensive zone.

Forsberg is a good prospect, that much I won’t disagree about. But he’s being made to look like he’s more than he is. I have a very strong suspicion that these late season scouting reports on him have a lot to do with a team picking just outside of the top 5 who might have something to gain by having him selected in the top 5.

63. TomNickle says:

You can’t quantify what these players will have for statistics in the NHL based on point production at the junior level.

Malkin had 12 points in 34 games in his draft year. So I guess that translates to a 40 point player right?

64. ont fan says:

In every draft, there is someone who florishes when they hit the nhl. Skinner, Evander Kane, Toews, Girioux…Who will it be this year? If a coach from Jr. can help the scouting staff, whether it”s Roy or Beaulieu, let’s listen.

65. LafleurGuy says:

One can also look up the very unimpressive stats Pavel Datsyuk had as an 18 year old playing in Russia, which explains why he was a 6th round draft pick.

“May you live in interesting times.”

66. Mr_MacDougall says:

Agree 100%

He has the potential to have 15 impact seasons in the NHL. Also, young stud D command an extreme amount of assets in return in a trade, he seems to be the one true “can’t miss” in this draft.

But, I, like most people, see the potential of drafting one of the Big Centers available in the draft and start drooling!

Grigs or Galy woohooo. I cant help it, the big center kool-aid has contaminated my brain.

67. TomNickle says:

Perhaps he was shaking his head at the thought of a fan trying to educate him about a prospect and again trying to quantify a standard of point production for a player far removed from the NHL.

68. LafleurGuy says:

Uh oh, put away the matches….

“May you live in interesting times.”

69. TomNickle says:

I was at a morning skate in Pittsburgh once and after having been introduced to Craig Patrick and walking away I heard a fan tell him that Mario Lemieux wasn’t capable of leading the Penguins to a Stanley Cup.

Craig Patrick laughed.

Thankfully Pierre McGuire was on the staff to compensate for Mario’s shortcomings ;-)

71. habstrinifan says:

Hey Habsburlington..Is that a McGuire dig. You lucky it’s Good Friday man.. the one day I am really scared of catching that love boat to hell. E that there would be fighting words.

lol.

Happy Easter pal.

72. TomNickle says:

And why was it that he was in the stands instead of the press area?

73. TomNickle says:

Scouts by rule avoid being surrounded at games. I’m sorry but I’m not taking what you have to say at face value and I’m not even sure that I believe your story.

I know a great deal of scouts that work both for NHL teams and junior teams and even did some scouting myself for a tier two team.

Scouts by an overwhelming majority do not place themselves in a position where distractions enter into the equation. When they do it’s generally in a place where they won’t be recognized. In Ottawa, Trevor Timmins stands a pretty darn good chance of being recognized.

74. JayK-47 says:

Tom, why are you pressing him?

75. Chrisadiens says:

I just had breakfast with Trevor and he confirmed the story. ;)

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

76. Max says:

Yeah,sure you scouted pal. Scouted twinkies in the fridge I’d say.

77. TomNickle says:

Because it’s very far fetched based on my experience that…

1. Trevor Timmins would have, in Ottawa, been scouting from the stands.

2. That he would make the remark to a fan about the NHL ability of a prospect other than “he’s a good player”.

Based on you and your pops stories below you may want to change that signature to something referencing Frank the Tank and Bluto! :)

79. JayK-47 says:

Of course it’s far fetched. Now you have him spamming the site with random stories, triple exclamation points and other incoherencies. Can’t you play nice on a long weekend?

80. HabFab says:

He does sound like habsguardian right now, doesn’t he. But in his defense, have seen scouts sitting in seats. Not sure why, maybe pressbox overflow but it would not be often.

81. TomNickle says:

He certainly isn’t being incoherent. I’m not seeing any spam either.

82. TomNickle says:

It isn’t about secrecy or entitlement. It’s about being able to focus on the game and gather thoughts.

But hey, have a nice Easter Weekend.

83. HabFab says:

Go easy with that Frank the Tank thing will you. People might get confused. GEEZ!

84. Chrisadiens says:

Where’s HH when we need him?

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

85. Chrisadiens says:

Relax bud. This is an open forum with tons of members. We can poke fun all we want. :p

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

86. Chrisadiens says:

Hahaha. Classic.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

87. BJ says:

Re David Fischer he plays for the Florida Everblades (ECHL) best player on the team good stats (for that level). Who knows maybe he’ll have a DD attack and work his way back up. I just spoke to a friend on the team as they get ready for tonights game and he told me that Fisher left 2 days ago to be at his dying mothers bedside. Wishing him some luck.

88. habstrinifan says:

Same here.. sometimes life’s blows, like a passing, re-focuses a young person. Good luck to him.

89. neumann103 says:

Thanks for that update. I admit I never like the Fischer pick but that was in the context of what I considered the Habs undue focus on high schoolers from Minnesota.

And it is a stark reminder that invective directed against such players – as if it is his fault that he was picked and did not become Larry Robinson – is pointed at real people going through the trials of real life.

Nobody deserves scorn because they are a “bum” or a “bust”. If someone actually does something that demonstrates bad character, by all means pile on. I have to say I feel schadenfraude when I see that asshat Carcillo getting a season ending injury while trying to deliver a season ending injury on Tom Gilbert. Karma’s a bitch.

But Fischer is a kid who I hope can put it together and have a career. And you have to feel for his loss.

“Et le but!”

90. jmsheehy19 says:

I’d say he picks Gustavsson, just to reinforce he’s happy with his goaltnders.

91. jo_maka says:

Koekkoek: D, big, mean, truculent, potential PP quarterback and TV name extraordinaire

Then again, imagine how this long storied made up rivalry between Habs and Leafs will heat up in the next few years if we draft Grigs from the Q and Burke manage to get Gally from the O ?
    _________________________________
    Open-mindedness is not a skull fracture

92. HabFanSince72 says:

One puck no.

How about a year’s supply of pucks though?

Or a puck signed by the entire 1977 Habs?

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

93. boing007 says: