Canadiens physicals Friday morning

DS11 0914 Habs 0071

And HIO will be there.
Pat Hickey, Dave Stubbs with his video camera and Mike Boone looking dazed and confused will be at the Brossard training complex when the players have their physicals to get ready for camp.
All together now, Commentariat: Cough.

Predicted Scrums of the Day: Andrei Markov and Alexei Yemelin.

Predicted quality of quotes: Less than Cammallerian.

Markov looks good in the photo. But The Gazette’s Dave Sidaway didn’t shoot his knee.

Before we get to the TGIF links, check out P.K.’s video for Nike:

Hickey sets the stage for camp and profiles Brendon Nash

• Arpon Basu on the danger of the sophomore slump

• Sean Gordon on Pierre Gauthier’s MO

Puck Daddy assesses the Canadiens

• Steven Hindle on the Canadiens’ centres

Did Tyler Myers set the bar for P.K.?

Can P.K. score 20?

More prospect rankings

Ellis is in no hurry

1. Neutral says:

A lot of people think we are putting Gomez down, we’re not. we’re just stating a fact and I realize the money he’s getting is not his fault but he should at least do a little better job. Desharnais, Pleks, Cammy and others has all shown they have performed better and paid a lot less. until he performs better he should be criticized. the money thing we can’t do anything about that….

• Guy-Guy-Guy says:

Well to be fair – Cammy makes almost as much money as Gomez, and has collected exactly the same number regular season points as a hab… 97

I’d even say Gomez has a better two-way game than Cammy.

2. If anyone is interested in taking part in the annual HIO yahoo hockey pool, we have 8 spots open at the moment. If you’re interested, please send me an email. To do this go to habseyesontheprize.com and scroll to the very bottom, and there’s a mailing list there with me on it (since HIO no longer has the option to email users). I’ll reply with an explanation of the rules and then you can decide if you want in.

One note, last year we had a couple people who lost interest really fast and stopped setting their lineups, if you’re going to do that, don’t bother emailing, we want it to be a competitive league.

3. Chorske says:

I don’t buy the connection with Myers. Myers was playing on a Buffalo team that relied on him too quickly because they were so thin on D (and kind of sucked in general). He was chucked into the deep end, sink or swim. And swim he must on a squad that desperately needs him to be Chara 2.0. No wonder the pressure got to him in his sophomore year.

PKs developmental path hasn’t been the same- he has already had to deal with demotions and benchings and sitting in the press box– these coaching decisions may have caused APOPLEXY among some HIOers but I think they have helped even the bumps out on an otherwise gifted and energetic player. Any of the things that might happen to a player to cause a sophomore slump have already happened to him.

• G-Man says:

Looks very much like Buffalo overpaid. Their GM is trying to make him a face-of-the-franchise-type player. This reeks of panic after Doughty did not sign for $6.8 mil (allegedly, because this could just be another rumour).
      PK will make a lot of money (comparatively speaking), but probably not the next contract. The UFA status contract will be another story.

• sauster says:

I think the demotions and benchings are part of playing in a high-pressure environment like Montreal. Perhaps the media and fans are more lenient in a market like Buffalo. Young P.K still has some maturing to do and makes his share of mistakes. That being said, I believe he has greater potential than Myers as an offensive defenseman.
      To put it bluntly, I really hate comparing two players for the sake of contract dealings. Unfortunately, the NHL is a business and in order to establish pricing, comparables have to be sought out.

If I were Goat, I would not hesitate to sign P.K. to a multi-year 5-6 million a year contract. Especially after he just signed an injury-prone Markov with uncertain future to something similar.

TheHockeyRecord.com
      Recalling hockey records daily and taking an in-depth look at what they mean for the game of hockey.

• G-Man says:

He will get a max of 4mil. If not, PG will be overspending. Despite the arguments that can be made that he’s the biggest fan favourite, his being a 3rd year player will have a lot to do with how much he receives.

• Chorske says:

The great thing with Myers is that he was talked out of the slump by coach Ruff, who told him to simplify his game, not try to do too much, and take fewer risks. And that sounds exactly like what JM has been preaching to PK all along.

• SeriousFan09 says:

Issue is it’s importance of player to franchise, points production ability and potential upside that these contracts tend to be built on and you can’t not say going forward, PK is not the Franchise for the blue line. I still say we’re looking at 4 million plus on his next deal.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
      SF09 on Twitter

4. kid87 says:

So when does the training camp start on Saturday? What time should I get there?

“I like half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve! – Bilbo Baggins”

5. HFX-HabFan says:

Me? I’m just glad that Woywitka stopped the football number nonsense, and picked number 8.

Selanne’s new contract ($4M) puts him over the $70M mark for career earnings which is good enough for 10th all-time. This is a guy who finished 8th in NHL scoring last year at the age of 40. A decent 2011-12 season will move him into the top 20 scorers, all-time.

Just think if he chose to play with Koivu in Montreal instead of going to the coast. Kovalev couldn’t even tie up this guy’s skates.

7. MJ says:

When examining situations with unknown outcomes I always like to think in terms of best case scenario, worst case scenario and anything in between. So when I apply that to this year’s edition of the habs I come up with this:

_ Best case scenario – duh we go all the way and we get our parade.
    _ Worse case scenario – Marky’s knee is not recovered enough for him to have a real impact this year, PK goes through a sophomore jinx, Jesus Price falters and doesn’t steal games for us the way he did last year, Gomez… delivers a similar performance to the one he gave last year. You get my drift, doom and gloom.
    _ Anything in between – we make the playoffs as an eighth or seventh seed and have an early exit. IMO opinion this is the real worst case scenario.

The scenario I’m most interested in is the doom and gloom. What would you do if you were PG? As impossible as it may be, I would try to rid myself of Gomez and I would trade AK if I can get a significant player or prospect in return (otherwise keep him and sign him). The silver lining here is that while PK and Price would get big raises, they won’t be in a position to demand ridiculous increases (CBA notwithstanding) and most importantly the prospect of having a high draft pick so maybe just maybe I can draft another Carey Price caliber player that when added to the mix in a few years would be a difference maker once he lines up with Carey, PK, MaxPac, Beaulieu and (hopefully) Tinordi. And all this would only be a blip on the radar as in 2012 – 2103 all of it would be behind us. I’d rather see all things go our way and for us to have an exciting season but I’m just saying… worst case scenario.

This team can use a 6’4″ fourth line centre full of grit and aggression. Paul Gaustad anyone?

• slamtherimtim says:

if the doom and gloom happens PG wont have to worry , i dont think he will be around to clean it up ,

• Chorske says:

What’s with the Paul Gaustad lovefest? What does he bring to the team besides sheer bulk and a ton of PIM? He’s signed thru 2012. Who do you trade for him? And WHY? I remain puzzled.

The pathological obsession with grit continues- it’s the sand in HIO’s vaseline.

• MJ says:

Chorske, first of Gaustad is big, aggressive (both necessary qualities on any NHL hockey team), plays a solid defensive game, contributes about 30 points a season and is strong on face offs, what more can you ask for from a 4th line centre? Also as you said he’s signed thru 2012 thus, giving our own 6’4″ potential 4th line centre (Engqvist) another year in the AHL to develop and gain strength. Finally, IMO Gaustad’s salary at about 2.5 mil is fairly reasonable for what he brings.

• you think mebbe you could bold your sig… do something to let it stand out…. as it stands right now it reads like your OCD and homeless

• Chorske says:

In no order:
          - 30 point guys are a dime a dozen, the league is stuffed to the gills with them, so they have no value except as filler.
          - I disagree that size and aggressivity are “necessary qualities on any NHL hockey team”. This is Brian Burke thinking, and look where it has landed the poor Leafs. Size and aggressivity are ongoing HIO obsessions. But as I keep pointing out to people, the Habs consistently outhit teams like the Bruins. I would argue that our compete level and combativity are already on par with any team in the league.
          - The faceoff thing is the ONE thing I can see in Gaustad as a unique value.
          - 2.5$ million for a 4th line center is stupid, no matter how tall he is.

• Neutral says:

Chorske – Gaustad would be a lot better than a 2nd line center who makes almost four times that much and hasn’t done nothing…

• Chorske says:

Hasn’t done nothing? So he’s done something?

Whenever I see people crap on Gomez, I think of Finger playing out his millions in the minors. I think of Gionta, who came here with Gomez as part of the rebuild that turned the Habs from an on-and-off bunch of headcases and divas to a hardworking tight-knit unit. I think of Pacioretty lying on the ice with a broken neck and the ONE player on the Habs getting in Chara’s face is Gomez. I think of sixty points two years ago on a team struggling to find its identity after a major rebuild. I think of him saying all the right things and taking full personal responsibility for his performance (sounds a lot like Pleks from two years ago, doesn’t it?).

So you can go on crapping on the dude if you want. I’ll watch the games and keep my fingers crossed that he’ll rekindle the magic he had with Pacioretty before the kid went down.

• Chorske says:

At the risk of introducing some realism here, how SPECIFICALLY would you go about “ridding yourself” of Gomez if you were GM? Burying him in the minors?

Or are you too committed to the “tank” scenario to bother answering?

• MJ says:

Like I said in my post, “as impossible as it may be”, the bottom line is that an NHL level GM is paid to come up with creative solutions otherwise anyone can be a GM and again, I’ll point you in the direction of Sather who somehow managed to rid himself of Gomez and get a very good return too, I would love to know what he told Gainey to sell him on that one.

• Chorske says:

More simplistic Gomez bashing, this time with a little JM bashing thrown in for flavour. And I cannot believe mine eyes to see Sather being touted as an exemplary GM.

As is often the case, both teams (in this case the Habs and Rangers) were trading problems. The Habs had Higgins and his… personal troubles, the Rags had Gomez and his contract. Since the trade, Higgins has devolved into an afterthought who maybe might on a good year generate 15-20 points. Gomez had an off year last year but lets not forget he posted 60ish points the year before. I would take Gomez over Higgins any day of the week, even with the cap hit. The ONLY questionable part of that trade was the loss of McDonagh– but even he is projecting to be a reliable but unremarkable blueliner with the Rags. That trade is nowhere near as bad as most HIOers make it out to be.

8. RGM says:

Question for Boone/Stubbs – any idea when they will be announcing the A/B/C squads and who will be playing which games? I’m crossing some fingers that certain people will be coming to Halifax on the 25th!

———————–
    GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is our year!

• Dave Stubbs says:

We should get the camp teams today, but tomorrow morning is also a possibility. But we don’t expect to imminently know which teams play which games. Lots of hockey played in a hurry to give the brass a chance to give everyone a look.

Dave Stubbs

Hockey Inside/Out
      Sports Columnist/Feature Writer, Montreal Gazette
      • On Twitter: twitter.com/habsinsideout1
      • Email: dstubbs@montrealgazette.com

• Paulin98C says:

I will be there in HFX… section 14 row D.

Shall I wear a Markov Jersey?

Hopefully Marchand plays so that I can yell at the guy… I hate him for personal reasons and for those who would love to have him on the CH roster… trust me… you don’t. Even people here in HFX don’t want him as a charity sponsor because of his sh*tty attitude. The day he refused to give his autograph to my step son because he was wearing a HABS ballcap was the day I realized how much I hate him… and he haven’t even played his first NHL game then either.

• RGM says:

Sec 10, Row C for this cowboy. Depending on who shows up I’ll be in either my Price road or Cammalleri home jersey.

I remember you telling us about that Marchand story – what a puke.

———————–
        GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is our year!

• Paulin98C says:

Nice tickets! I had to settle for tickets in the corner… but it is where the Bruins should make their entrance for the first peiod as the home team… hopefully… cause if so I can slap Marchand with my bare hand! (or replace bare hand with baseball bat) God I hate him….

Unfortunately going with 3 Leafs fans…. but they hate Boston and Marchand the same…

Chances are I’ll be wearing my “Paulin #98″ home jersey and I’ll have 2 signs with me:

One that says: Remember me? Sign this Marchand!” with a drawn picture of an a$$.

The other: ” Don’t trip over Marchand’s nose!”

Thinking about getting a mask with a big nose too….

• Kooch7800 says:

Marchand is a D-bag. I wouldn’t worry about it. It is better your son didn’t get any autograph from him. It is a good life lesson that just cause you play in the NHL and have money it doesn’t by you class.

Don’t worry about Marchand he will get his someday

9. Big Ted says:

Sure, people could look at the Tyler Myers contract as a standard of comparison for signing PK, but then again, Zach Bogosian just signed for 2.5M per and Luke Schenn for what is rumored to be 3.5M per. So not all teams are giving their young stud defencemen crazy money the way the Sabres are throwing it around. If PK signs for 5 years or less, then I think we’ll be looking at around 3.5-4M per season. If he signs something in the 7-year range like Myers, then 5M per year is probably a decent ballpark, but I wouldn’t go too much higher than that. I love PK and think he’ll be great but let’s not go paying him based on what we think he can do instead of what he’s actually done. The guy has had one season in the NHL and didn’t really come on strong until the second half of that year. My gut is that he’ll be the #1 guy here for many years, but let him prove that first.

10. slamtherimtim says:

tyler myers is not worth that kind of money at least not yet , a lot of the terms are going to cause problems for teams like the habs who have multiple RFA coming up , extending these guys is really smart or really dumb before the new CBA next year , we will find out ,

PG got hosed if Markov doesnt play 70 games , each of the next 3 years , at least PK will be the man once again,

11. MJ says:

I would pay to watch that! :)

12. Dave Stubbs says:

Hickey, Boone and Stubbs taking physicals and doing fitness tests. Can you imagine?

Dave Stubbs