Canadiens on Jagr’s short list

4787018

Photo by Peter Josek/Reuters

After the Czech Republic won bronze at the World Hockey Championships, Jaromir Jagr floated the idea of a return to the NHL.
Jagr listed three possible destinations: Pittsburgh, New York and Montreal.

“Montreal and Canada, it’s totally different hockey,” Jagr told Dan Barnes of the Edmonton Journal. “The fans are crazy about hockey and I’ve never played in Canada in my life. You never know.”

Full story.

•  •  •
Sunday Video Theatre: The 1971 Cup final.

1. el heffe says:

nobody knows the pain of being a Habs fan in a world of Habs fans…

2. habstrinifan says:

Stop this silliness re Jagr..please!

Now that we are back to our senses and the defense (Markov/Subban/Gill/Gorges/Yemelin/Spacek/Weber) is set let us GOALIES.

Aim:
    Reduce the burden on Price and also go into next year with serious eye on CUP and thus have two strong goalies.

AULD…..ufa.. BYE BYE

Plan A: If the price for Emery is not too high sign Emery to two year deal and HABS will have a kick-ass goalie tandem. I think Price has matured enough and is confident enough and I think Emery has put his demons behind him. I think they can work together. I am not sure that Emery would want to work for JM though after the fiasco season with Hasek.

Plan B: Bring up Ramo or a young goalie from the system (forget his name now) to be Price’s understudy. Reduce the burden on Price and also go into next year with serious eye on CUP.

FORWARDS:

AIM: Priority consideration must be given to adding GRIT and SCORING so the suggestions below may include parting ways with some players that I like.. if it will allow PG more dollars/assets to do something substantial with. And PG and JM must see this team in their minds as a STANLEY CUP contender in 2012. If they do not then they wont be making the impactful ‘steps’ to make that happen. Enough of seeing the team as going thru another year of ‘adding pieces tojust get better’. If goaltending and defense wins cups, the HABS are ready to ‘go for it’ and management MUST think like that.

I only noted ‘bubble players’ or players who are either UFA or RFA. Fortunately, we have many ‘good prospects’ signed thru to 2012.

Halpern … ufa… BYE BYE.
    Pyatt … rfa…. sorry BYE BYE.
    Darche…. ufa…. resign with raise maybe up to 700.000 to 800.000
    White…… rfa….. sign to 1yr two-way contract for minimum possible. I like what White gave us last year but I want to see him for another year before I give him full big club status and money. Also two-way contract may make him quite tradeable. His value to the team WILL hinge on what steps PG takes to add “TRUCULENCE”.

AK46… rfa… offer him one year contract at “mandatory raise” while testing the market for him especially if negotiations become difficult.

Benoit Pouliot… rfa… treat same as AK46.
    Nigel Dawes….. rfa… treat same as Pouliot. Platoon Pouliot in Hamilton.. Dawes given preferred status to replace Pouliot at season’s start.. unless he has woeful camp.

Travis Moen… UFA in 2012… buy him out and cede his place to White!

Max Pac…….. rfa… resign as soon as you can. He will recover fully and will be a key player for us for years.

David Desharns… rfa.. 1 yr conract/minimum raise. Also consider any trade offers for him.

Then go out and do some wheeling/dealing to get us the CUP… like giving up draft choices/prospects and roster players for IGINLA…. in a heartbeat.

Send Jagr a cheap GPS to Oblivion.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

I think Karri Ramo was plan A, but he signed a new KHL contract a couple weeks back. I think you’re right about the defence being settled. I have many thoughts on Travis Moen. I’ll write them somewhere soon, but this post is really just so I can see my new Zach Phillips avatar.

• Andrew65 says:

Jagr on a 1-year contract at $2-3M would be a no brainer, but I agree with most of you — it’s never going to happen.

Some interesting ideas out there on how to improve for next year. One thing that bugs me a bit though; out best offensive player is also our best defensive player. Pleks is getting burned out killing penalties and shutting down the other guys’ top centre. Wouldn’t it be great to get a solid defensive guy who can take the pressure off of Pleks to do all that, and let him be the guy to give us another 10-15 goals and 20-30 points? Surely guys like that are easier to find at an affordable rate than 30-goal men.

Thoughts anybody?

And I have little doubt that Max-Pac is a bona fide power forward. Have some faith, people.

3. Habby2CU says:

I think Jagr would love it in Montreal – there’s a very nice casino here.

The Jagr sweepstakes have officially begun. This guy will always follow the money. Show me the money!

• Mattyleg says:

I told this story before, but I’ll tell it again, seeing as how I know so very few of them, and I’m honing my ‘boring-dinner-guest’ skills to a dull, pointless tip.

When I was living in Poland during the lockout, Jagr came to Kladno to play for his hometeam. He was treated like royalty throughout the Czech republic, despite many talented Czechs coming home to play. He was on the front covers of magazines and newspapers. He was huuuuge. He got 28pts in 17 games with Kladno, and then, suddenly, he told everyone that he was fecking off to Russia to play for Avangard Omsk.

“Why??” cried the Kladno fans. “Why??” cried the Extraliga.

Jagr’s response: “I never said I was going to play here the WHOLE season…”

ecccccchhhh….

Kinda curdles your guts, don’t it?

P.S. Before I get the ‘yeah, but he’s a point-producer’ and ‘if you think that (yaddayadda) you’re fooling yourself’ nonsense; I’m just telling a story. It happened. Take it as you will.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

5. baruch says:

by the way, for those looking for game six and 7 of the 71 Stanley Cup finals, they are here (6) and here (7).

6. baruch says:

Jagr had his day, and still has chops, but now he plays more like Robert Lang, hard to get off the puck, good timing, good shot, can give you 20-25 at least per season. I really liked Robert Lang on the Habs, but IMO Jagr is not the offensive threat we need. Max Pac was emerging as that before you know what happened. Lets hope he makes a full recovery, and can be like Bergeron (well, before he got re-concussed) P., not M.A.
    Jagr was invisible in the final, I liked Czervenka for CR in that game. But the best non-NHL prospect I saw was Jarkko Immonen.

7. cbass says:

Never really liked the guy, even if his skill was sickening. That being said, he was still once, the most dominant player in the game, and one of the best all time. I really don’t see how it can hurt to offer him a small one year deal.

• LA Loyalist says:

Question:

1. How will he fit in with THE SYSTEM?

He would bump our PP up and be kind of the anti-Gomez buying our younger guys some real estate to work because the D would HAVE to be aware of him. I vote for reasonable money 1 year, based on playoff needs and I think it will help our kids.

8. dre1744 says:

Plus Jagr is 6’3 about 240 not a smurf… Everyone always says we need size. If we can get him cheap why not!!!!!!

9. SeriousFan09 says:

Memorial Cup is set, Saint John Sea Dogs, Kootenay Ice, Owen Sound Attack and Mississauga Saint Michael’s Majors.

Draft-eligible names in play:

Saint John: Out of reach failing a Cam Fowler-esque drop, C Jonathan Huberdeau and D Nathan Beaulieu. C Zack Phillips, RW Tomas Jurco, LW Scott Oke, C Ryan Tesink, C Aidan Kelly, D Gabriel Bourret, C Jason Cameron,

Mississauga: C Joseph Cramarossa, D Dylan Demelo

Owen Sound: RW Andrew Fritsch, D Keevin Cutting

Kootenay: D Jonathan Neibrandt, D Jagger Dirk

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
    SF09 on Twitter

10. dre1744 says:

Look at it this way if Jagr played for us hed probably get us 20 – 25 goals that would of been good enough to put the habs up to 10th in goals for. And i’m sure he would set up cammy or Plekanec or gionta for a couple more goals.

• Steven says:

We’ve really got nothing to lose on this. If the team stays healthy and we throw in another 20 goal scorer(what everyone seems to want, albeit not in Jagr) we can do something good next year. It’s worth a gamble.

Gee, thanks, Jaromir… we are truly honored.

12. Sean Bonjovi says:

Sea Dogs v. Olympiques: In double OT Gatineau player put the puck over the glass, ref called delay of game, player got in the penalty box, crowd booed, Benoit Groulx yells at ref, ref lets player out of the box, NO penalty. LHJMQ = Total joke!

• Sean Bonjovi says:

Saint John Sea Dogs just won the LHJMQ! Maxime Clermont made 52 save for the Olympiques. Sea Dogs have a Great team, but Zach Phillips and Steven Anthony are both hurt, so I cannot yet Guarantee the Mem. Cup.
      (That’s “Mem.” cup for Don Cherry)

13. Sean Bonjovi says:

So, consensus opinion is that Jagr would be more productive than Kovalev in the NHL in 2011-2012. I want him then…maybe. If Jagr needs to play with Pleks and Cammalleri he’ll have to play lots of minutes. Can he? How large a salary could be justifiable if Jagr played on the 3rd line with Eller? Would we have find to another 3rd line winger worthy of playing with Jagr? I think these are important questions, but I don’t care what the answers are. If Jagr is still as good as some people here think he is I want him.

14. Why can’t Vancouver just die already?

• SnowManHabs85 says:

wait for it, it’s only game 1 :P

“Responding to the media , or playing to the media, or listening to the fans is the quickest way to start losing” – Sam Pollock

• EricInStL says:

I don’t really care for any of the 4 teams left. But I would enjoy 2 chippy teams to play in the finals, Boston vs Vancouver. Make it 7 games with lots of cheap shots and I would be a happy man indeed.

• HabFanSince72 says:

You are the NHL’s target demographic: the angry young man.

• pat s says:

I don’t like the cheap shots, but I like the rough, hard hitting, yes, 2 or 3 fight games—-thats NHL hockey. In Montreal, they want to play that euoro “play nice Billy hockey” bs hockey. Than, they want to trash the other teams for having that element in their game. And than hab fans like me have tio suffer and ignore the fact our players get bullied every game.

I hope Gauthier changes this. If he does, my frustration will change asap.

15. habs001 says:

unless we have other options jagr is worth a chance as we need scoring…we have right now 8 forwards on the team that individually you can argue bring something to the team but if all of them are on the same team next year we will again be in the 20th to 24th range in scoring(moen,white,pyatt,halpern,datche,pouliot,eller,gomez)

16. smiler2729 says:

#68 in Montreal is Yannick Weber…

“If the Bruins played the Taliban, I’d root for the Taliban”

17. Steven says:

The Official Habs website seems to be posting a good amount of articles about Wizniewski lately. Is that an indication of their intentions with him? I’m probably overthinking it…

Then again, in their latest article, they seem to take a tone in a way to say that he won’t be coming back, saying he’s going to be one of the most sought after free agents, that he’s going to be looking for a lucrative and long term contract, and that the injury he suffered to Shane Hnidy in a fight(Who woulda known?) would potentially lower his value.

Then again, the writers don’t have a direct relationship to Habs management anyway, do they? So it’s all just opinion.

18. pat s says:

I’m thinking we should also go get shayne corson for our 3rd and 4th line.

Also, before we sign Jagr, I’m thinking the habs should go talk to Mario Lemieux or Wayne Gtetzky to see if they want to play, they would gewt more points than Jagr.

Jagr is saying Montreal b/c he knows they are probably one of 2 or 3 teams that will even consider it.

If this happens, they are going to put the habs on the comedy channel.

• SnowManHabs85 says:

Lemieux has no problem coming out of retirement i’m sure. and i’m hearing Gretzky is trying to make a come back too. 2 of the best FA in the bowl i’m sure. its gonna be awesome! Hahaha, you’re funny.

• pat s says:

I know I’m being sarcastic but I don’t think Jagr is the answer. If we were 1 or 2 players away from a cup than I would be more open to this.

• SnowManHabs85 says:

I don’t really there is a down side to having Jagr on the roster except injuries that might occur, but to sign him in Pouliot $. Maybe its something worth considering. Even if PG should trade Pouliot, I don’t think there’s anyone else in the system that can fill in Pouliot “skills”, maybe Palushaj…

Besides, all of this is just rumors anyway. There’s nothing a Habs fan can do when his team ain’t playing anymore except judge or fantasize how the team should be managed in the off season.

19. ooder says:

a big intimidating body with a winning record and multiple awards, scoring title under his belt on the habs… yes please!
    ya he is 39 but he just played in the KHL on a much bigger surface area where much more skating is required… i think he will be just fine in the NHL
    ——————
    Gomez: 36 and counting!

20. habs365 says:

Guys a lot of good points here but at the end of the day management will have the final say, also a cap issue will decide on who we can and who we can’t bring in..sorry to say too many overpaid players on this team holding the team back from bringing in one or two real good forwards so all we can do in 2011-2012 support what ever kind of team we have and hope for the best. what we say on this site will have no bearing on the type of team we will see in October…..

HELP!
    Who won today in the OHL between St Mike’s majors and Owen Sound,?? (7th game?)

• Ian Cobb says:

I found it, St Mike’s lost to Owen Sound.

Owen Sound wins OHL championship and take on the Kootenay Ice in the memorial cup Saturday.
      St Mikes plays Fri. against the Quebec league winners.

22. LL says:

SJ vs Vancouver already feels like a SC final.

Good for Max…big goal.

Jagr could play on the 2nd or 3rd line at 3 million, one year at a time, or take a hike.

24. Is something going on in the comments section? The comments are all out of order for me.

25. joeybarrie says:

109 goals in his last 3 NHL seasons.
    0.43 goals per game in the KHL
    Even at 39-40 i still think he can pot 25 goals.
    Get him for under 2.5 million and I would be very happy.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

26. Make some Habs predictions to win some Prizes!

27. habs365 says:

Jagr may have lost a step or two, he’s still better than most of the Habs forwards. we would have to win a cup in two years in return for the contract he’ll receive or we’ll be signing a new face again kinda use to that now also kinda sick of it. Build a proper team to win a cup. just making the playoffs getting to be a joke. any fan that likes this type of team every year should watch another sport..maybe you’re happy with a team in Montreal that’s eliminated after the 1st round or a couple of rounds what ever , it’s like you’re saying, at least we made the playoffs. if that’s the case. we have a team right now without any changes who could do this for years if that’s all you want. all I can say if the Habs don’t bring in some forwards that can score Montreal will never win their 25th cup that’s the only problem we have that stand out
    say it once again. not enough scoring to bring the big prize back where it belongs (In Montreal)

28. shuttle-lemaire-lafleur says:

A 39yr old quitter is the last thing the Habs need, je me souviens, hope the Habs management does too…

• Chorske says:

Quitter. Explain. Because I can get the 39 thing, but not the quitter thing.

Also: SHUTTLE?

• Maybe because he requested trades in Pittsburgh and Washington? But honestly both situations he’d have been traded anyway.

• shuttle-lemaire-lafleur says:

Do your own research on Jagr’s last few seasonsin the NHL when he played for the Washington Capitols and the NYR, Mr.Jagr quit on both those teams in the playoffs when they fell behind in the games as well as the series, it’s a well known fact that he packed it in when the going got rough. As for the word Shuttle,when I joined HIO a couple years back I used a screen name of Shutt-Lemaire- Lafleur who were the Habs highest scoring line back in the mid to late 70′s and my favorite line at the time.
        . Anyway, HIO screwed the spelling up so I am stuck with the name I’m using today. Is that suffice for you to understand ?

29. Bugs says:

So, if I understand correctly, if the three teams on Yammy’s “short list” all tell’m to go jump in a lake and the Islanders offer’m 2 yrs at 5 mil, he’s gonna say “tanks but no tanks; gonna stay here and try and eke out another contract in OMSK, where life is good, the girls have streptikas up to their blosemflorks, and the gershnits pies taste like apple custard”???

Gone figuratively fishin filibusts L. B. Potter, esq.

30. Shiloh says:

When you hear about some possible free agent acquisitions you often think, “probably a 6 out of 10 but could turn out to be an 8″. With Jagr, every number is a possibility. He could be a 1 – or he could be an 11. Who knows?

Maybe if Pleks is his centre he has a great season – but it’s so hard to say.

I’m not going to waste time here, but anyone who things Kovalev was as good as Jagr (career wise) is nuts.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

Jagr had one of the greatest careers ever, far better than Kovalev. I think Jagr’s career might be “more over” though.

• Jagr is the greatest European forward of all time, Kovalev COULD have been great but ended up being just good.

One is a sure-fire first ballot Hall of Famer and the other will likely never get a sniff.

You’re right on the money, Steve, no comparison.

• Ian Cobb says:

He was not good for us my friend, but we were good to his wallet.

32. habs001 says:

watching some of the non nhl finns there is no way you cannot find a forward in that group that can skate just as well as pyatt but score a lot more than pyatt…

• scrowe21 says:

Lol yeah…Im really hoping if they resign Pyatt, that its a 2 way contract and he goes to Hamilton…. not likely though

• J.J. of Turku says:

That’s also a big problem in the Finnish juniorhockey. Everyone gets as much icetime and all the players get to be equally treaded. Most of the young players dream about being a good workhorse in 3rd line in the NHL. They don’t want to shine in the 1st line. You people in Canada know how to work with talanted youngsters.

33. Mark C says:

Marc Antoine Godin on Twitter:
    Source: on the Jaromir Jagr front, Pierre Gauthier hasn’t shut the door as completely as rumored since the beginning of May.

34. ds says:

Jagr is the best player of his generation, the guy was over a PPG during the whole clutch & grab era, avoided major injuries and was a dominant player. He’s lost a few steps for sure but he’s got chemistry with Plekanacs and is a legit former elite NHL superstar. I would sign him in a heartbeat. Plex/Jagr/Cam will be a sick line.

Also while Max Pac had a decent season prior to injury don’t expect him to turn into a 30 goal, 50-60 pt player. He hasn’t proven anything at the NHL level yet except that he was hot for a stretch during the regular season.

Pouillot put up 39gp 15g 9a 24 pts, (Last year)
    Pac put up 37gp 14g 10a 24pts this yr. (This Year)

The team needs a few legit scoring forwards to take the pressure off Cammeleri, Plex & Gionta. Jagr will be a decent depth guy but we still need a legit scorer.

I say screw the defense, Subban, Markov, Gill, Georges, Emelin, Spacek is more than enough with Weber as the backup, invest the rest in 20 goal, defensively responsible forwards and the team is set. Oh yeah sign the backup goalie at 500k, not 1 million.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

“invest the rest in 20 goal, defensively responsible forwards”

That’s exactly what I think. I listed some candidates further down in this thread. I think there is room for one of those guys right now, but we’d have to move Travis Moen to fit a second “20-goal-checker” on the team. I was hoping Dustin Boyd would be that guy last year. I like Travis Moen, but a guy with his ice time Must score more points.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

Also, I’m optimistic about Max Pac, but I’m not convinced yet either. We all sound like Maple Leafs fans when we throw his name in with Price and Subban. Price and PK have at least each had one great season, but Pacioretty is still “the greatest 30 goal scorer to never score 20 goals”. I think he will score 30, but I wouldn’t bet the whole season on it yet.

• habs365 says:

ds: Agree with you, Habs D is ok the way it is up front is the problem and the only thing stopping us from a good chance at winning it all….

35. Habitoba says:

Who’s to say that Pleks won’t play better with Jagr? However, Jagr was never a “crash the net” kind of player and neither is Cammy or AK. In fact none of our top 6 are except maybe Max Pac. I think that aspect should be addressed prior to even thinking about signing Jagr. If for some reason he’s signed, I think Kostitsyn should be signed again to play with Eller on the third line along with Desharnais playing the wing to show those guys how to hustle. Keep Moen on the forth line. He can’t play a power forward role nor can he play top six minutes and be expected to be the bruiser we know him to be. Let him dig up the puck for Pyatt with Engqvist as centre.

• Favorite Son says:

Gionta doesn’t “crash” the net but he definitely goes there. Plants himself right in front of the goalie and that’s how he gets most of his goals. Same for Pacioretty.

• Habitoba says:

He may go to the net but because of this size, he can’t crash the net to make room. That’s why I used the term “crash” and not simply “go”. Did you notice we were among the bottom in scoring? We need guys up front to clear the area so we don’t always have to rely on luck for a goal.

• _Habsoloutly_ says:

So you want a guy to go to the net and take interference and goalie obstruction penalties?

• Habitoba says:

Yes, that’s exactly what I want, more penalties. Come on buddy, get real. A bad penalty here and there might be worth the 15+ goals we’d get in return. I’m not worried about it if our PK stays the same.

Any great idea from you, or do think we’re ok with small guys buzzing on the outside?

• _Habsoloutly_ says:

I think we are fine with Gionta and Patches. Look at the teams record when Patches was in the lineup. People are going nuts here but with all our key players Montreal is a very good team.

36. likehoy says:

with all this talk of Jagr.. how much is he worth and what’s a paycut for him?

last time he was in the NHL was 3 years ago so obviously his value went down, and what is he worth now? and how much of a paycut does he have to take from that worth?

- Gomez is holding down the “overpaid” button

• scrowe21 says:

Hoping nothing more than 2.5 mill.

• obrien says:

2.5 is non sense. If you check, we have easily the 4-6 millions of cap space he deserves, for a one year contract. Even considering a 5-6m contract to Markov.

We are not tight on cap space next season. Its the one after that which should be problematic, as Subban and Price will both be RFAs.

37. C-Sword says:

I wouldn’t compare Jagr to Kovalev, yes they’re both old, but Jagr was/is on a whole other level when it comes to skills, not too many players can control and protect the puck like he does.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

IMO Kovalev is at least equal to Jagr “when it comes to skills”. Alex Kovalev has the advantage of being a known quantity, and the disadvantage of being Alex Kovalev.

• habstrinifan says:

I agree with you re skills. Kovalev was at least equal to Jagr in his heyday when Kovalev was in his. And that’s the elephant in the room. Jagr had a heyday… I never really thought Kovaled did in his entire career.

Having said that I would be very very wary re signing Jagr. Other needs/problems in the team (not defense that is OK) must be addressed first. Signing a player like Jagr without filling in some holes before the fact is a waste of money.

• If you’re JUST talking about puckhandling skills, Kovalev is still inferior to Jagr, but it’s closer than in any other area of the game.

38. Remi says:

The Habs should do whatever they can to sign wisniewski. Hes talented and young, he loves montreal and the fans love him. This Jagr discussion makes me nervous, he’s too old.

• scrowe21 says:

If only Spacek wasn’t already signed for next season.. what a bummer. Having Wiz back would have been great. Hes gunna get a nice raise somewhere else though.

• habstrinifan says:

IF we have a healthy Markov signed we dont need WIZ. If Yemelin provides the BIG STEADY GRITTY RELIABLE STAY AT HOME that we need then the defense corps of.. Markov/Gorges/Subban/Gill/Yemelin/Weber/Spacek and maybe another mean type 8th on the bench looks very very good.

39. Propwash says:

So long as he doesn’t demand a boatload of cash, why not? Couldn’t hurt to have another guy who can score.

40. Sean Bonjovi says:

Is there any argument for signing Jagr that can’t also be made for signing Alex Kovalev?

41. DearyLeary says:

If you could sign him relatively cheap and convince him he isn’t going to be playing huge minutes there’s absolutely no reason I wouldn’t want him to come over for a season.

42. RobertAlanFord says:

Not a fan of the rent-a-player strategy. The Habs would have to kiss Wizniewski goodbye for sure. We already have our top six: 13, 21, 14, 67, 11(not so top) and 46. PG should be focusing on the bottom half of our forward lines.

• nek25plus says:

Noooooooooo….bring in youth! Not cancerous old guys!

• Sean Bonjovi says:

“PG should be focusing on the bottom half of our forward lines.”

I agree. If there’s a winger who can play Le System and consistently put up 50 point seasons then sign him and bump Andrei to the 3rd line, but I don’t think that player’s out there. Plan B should be to get a guy to play on Eller’s wing who thinks like Tom Pyatt, but also has the hands to score 30+ points (points not goals). I’m thinking of a guy like Pascal Dupuis, or Curtis Glencross, or Antti Miettinen (I liked that guy when he play for the Stars, but I haven’t seen him much in a few years), or maybe a guy like Taylor Pyatt. I could only guess if these guys will even be free agents by July, or how much they’re worth, but I agree that scoring Depth should be top priority.

Don’t know how long this will stay up. 1976 SCF game four in it’s entirety.

1976-Montreal vs Philadelphia p.1

1976-Montreal vs Philadelphia p.2

1976-Montreal vs Philadelphia p.3

Watch as a young Bob Gainey shuts down a young Bobby Clarke.

Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!

• issie74 says:

I will never forget Bob Gainey!!!!

• HabsFan2 says:

And I’ll never forget Danny Gallivan and Dick Irvin.

Man could they call a game!
        ———————————————-
        I have come home.” – Patrick Roy

• pat s says:

I won’t forget Gainey as a player b/c I loved watching him and the habs play when I was a kid, but as GM, well, the sooner I forget him the better. The problem is I can’t b/c he made the habs into the softet team in the NHL and I will never let that go.

There is no way Jagr is coming to Montreal if the coin is better in the KHL. This guy is all about money.

Even if he does consider the NHL, it would be more beneficial for him to play with top end centres like Crosby and Malkin instead of Pleks and Gomez.

Having said that, the Habs once again find themselves with a one year cap window of opportunity in terms of signing an older player. We would have nothing to lose by signing Jagr, as long as his head can fit into his new helmet.

45. Wouldn’t be a bad pick up for the Habs but as Everlasting1 said “he would have to take a pay cut” Agree.
    Hamilton Bulldogs vs Houston Aeros 5:05pm start listen to it live on http://ahl.neulion.com/ahl/
    Also visit canadiensnation.wordpress.com

Habsnation is still standing.

Sunday video cliff hanger

The ending and the Director’s cut:

47. Everlasting1 says:

Jagr would have to take a massive pay cut to play in Mtl. Either that or put him on layaway.

——————————————————————-
    Elohim:”Let us make an Adam in our image and after our likeness.” – Genesis 1:26

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

He’s already played in Pittsburgh and New York so the obvious choice is Montreal, then he can play along side his fellow countrymen Plekanec and Spacek with Hammer being the grumpy old man of the foursome.

49. Talik Sanis says:

Let’s get the right perspective on Lapierre. We most definitely did the right thing by trading him. While he has preformed reasonably well in the playoffs, not being a real liability and playing somewhat physically while limiting his characteristic nonsense as far as I’ve seen, that was only his second goal since we traded him. He was poor in Anaheim, and was only a stopgap measure in the first place. For the first two rounds, Lappiere was no more valuable to the Canucks than Pyatt was for us.

Considering the totality of what he’s done since we traded him, we shouldn’t mourn his loss as many of us do Moore. They play the same position and receive approximately the same salary, but one was and is consistently useful, while the other was beloved only due to his name and a few clutch goals.

50. scrowe21 says:

“Lappiere was no more valuable to the Canucks than Pyatt was for us.”

Not true. I didn’t watch him in Anaheim at all, but even though he wasn’t putting up numbers in the first 2 rounds for the Canucks, he was good on faceoffs, the PK, generating some great plays and energy..and was hitting a lot. Much more than Pyatt..

51. SeriousFan09 says:

Measured, intelligent commentary, or the opposite of it anyway.

Vancouver’s fans are beyond annoying and they’ve stacked their lineup with some grade-A jerks, I’m not backing them.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
    SF09 on Twitter

52. Tony McLean says:

Amen.

Props to “Canadiens South.” Away les boys!