Canadiens off on Monday

SubPrice
The team returns to practice Tuesday morning.
It’s an easy week leading up to the All-Star break: Only one game.
But the game is against the Detroit Red Wings.

Dave Stubbs on the Carey Price injury

Jack Todd on P.K. Subban

Red Fisher on playoff math

Quotes from the ACC room

Does break come at bad time?

SI power ratings

1. SmartDog says:

Oops – moved to current thread.

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

2. Halak and the Blues lost 3-1 to Detroit last night. It seems that Halak can’t beat a contending team and that’s why he is a backup. Halak plays majority of his games against noncontending teams during the past couple of years. Thats what a backup suppose to do and gets to majority games against weaker teams.

3. Is PG listening to offers from other GM’s about the services of PK Subban? Hope not?

4. JUST ME says:

Well well well…Francois Gagnon is on P.K`S case this morning as many of you were in the last days.

I find the suggestion of getting rid of this kid simply outrageous. There are no reasons to think it could be a good thing to try to deal him. It`s a lose-lose situation and since Gagnon is a professionnal loser , he uses his status for a wide open delirium.

Knowing what we know about Montreal`s market and fans this would be an error that we would not soon forget.
    He cannot be traded for better unless it`s against a top 10 player in the league wich you can forget already. anything less would give mister Gagnon a golden opportunity to spit on the Habs and pretend that he told us so…We may have a bad G.M. but it would take a fool to take this bait…

Mister Gagnon will then be the first one to complain that the Habs have no character and no spunk…

To even consider trading a 21 year old player that has such an obvious talent is beyond me.

Who made him a god first mister Gagnon ? Who saw him as a quarterback and the main piece of the puzzle in the habs future first mister Gagnon ? Who wanted him to play more mister Gagnon ? Who was outraged by him being benched last year mister Gagnon ?

Cause this is the part that we tend to forget! Those same reporters who have doubts and spread stupid ideas were the same ones to glorify the guy six months ago and publicly demand justice.

I accept the fact ,and have no choice to deal with passionnate fans that go overboard and release irrational comments cause when spoken with emotions words tend to lose their logic but to try to destroy a kid when you should be positive and know better is just plain stupid.

I do not understand why these guys can write or say anything they want without being accountable for their actions. Aren`t they supposed to be professionnals ? Aren`t they supposed to be neutral ?
    Mainly i do not find that this attitude has anything to do with being positive and constructive. Reporters in Montreal are all negative and senseless but no one can touch them,criticize them or trade them..It is unfair and i am pissed once again about the same old a****les that make the atmosphere in my city unbearable…

• HardHabits says:

Just like the Flyers trading Carter and Richards was a outrageous.

Gagnon is talking getting an elite centre in return. Good job going overboard with your irrational comment.

5. G-Man says:

Ok, we all know that Thomas is a low class schmuck. Time to move on.

6. slychard says:

Where was TT yesterday?
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Kiss my hAbSS!!!

7. SlovakHab says:

I can see reasoning of people dreaming about a centre like Eric Staal, Ryan Getzlaf or Carter.. Even Vinny, without his albatross contract.
    What people do not realize is that the teams that have them do particularly badly in standings in current NHL. Even a team that have 2 big centres (LA) isn’t exactly the best team in the league.

I just think it takes balance to win in the NHL. You don’t need a big centre to win in the league. You can do it with Krejci and Bergeron. Or Zetterberg. Of course they need to be skilled, 2-way players. But give them big, scoring wingers and a good D that can move the puck, shoot and punish in own end, and you have a recipe for victory.

We should keep Plekanec, Markov, Subban and Price. Definitely keep Pacioretty and Eller. Emelin will develop, Gorges is solid and Diaz could be decent. But we don’t need Giontas, Cammalleris, Tanguays, Kovalevs or Gomez’s. Give me James Neal, Nathan Horton, Marian Hossa, Hartnell, Jamie Benn, Johan Franzen, Corey Perry…

Big and strong center can be replaced, a fast, tough, scoring winger can’t. 1 single exception in this league – Malkin. And it is only because Crosby’s season is over.

8. Clay says:

Thomas, on his decision not to visit the white house:
    “I believe the Federal government has grown out of control, threatening the Rights, Liberties, and Property of the People. This is being done at the Executive, Legislative, and Judicial level. This is in direct opposition to the Constitution and the Founding Fathers vision for the Federal government.

“Because I believe this, today I exercised my right as a Free Citizen, and did not visit the White House. This was not about politics or party, as in my opinion both parties are responsible for the situation we are in as a country. This was about a choice I had to make as an INDIVIDUAL.”

Well, that’s all true. The government of the USA is out of control – both parties are responsible (Republicans more-so, but they are both corporate whores). I applaud him for taking a stand.

And I laugh at him if he is a Tea Party member.

__________________________
    ☞ “Talent is a gift from God, but you only succeed with hard work. Yvan was proof of that.” – Jean Beliveau. ☜

9. Klondike Habs Fan says:

I had no idea I could possibly think less of the Bruins and especially Tim Thomas, but wow, I was wrong. TT is a much bigger douche than I could have ever thought.

• pmaraw says:

on the contrary, Tim Thomas just became my favourite hockey player. took a lot of balls to make that decision. people are waking up to the absurd imbalances between the rich and poor. Thanks to Tim Thomas for fighting a necessary battle that he doesnt need to have anything to do with.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

Timmy Thomas is rich & he AIN’t fightin’ for the poor.

“Max Pacioretty could be our Phil Kessel”
        – Sean Bonjovi

• pmaraw says:

sure looks like he is to me.

but lets look at your way, if he didnt do it for the reasons he said, why did he do it? he’s conservative? he hates spending time away from work with his co-workers? he’s racist? I dunno, sure seems to me its about what he says its about. http://www.rt.com is a great source if you want to find out more about what TT was talking about.

• pmaraw says:

I mean, just cause he’s rich… doesnt mean hes a bad guy. theres lots of rich people fighting for the poor. what was the last interview you saw matt damon do? probably been awhile since the only thing he talks about are these matters and has had a media blackout put on him. hrmmm matt damon, doesnt play for the leafs, but he is from boston… bad idea? okay, susan sarandon, walking around at occupy walstreet just to get paparattzi to follow her there so people start to notice, hey theres a fight going on here for us, why am i not involved?

• Clay says:

I agree.
            You could add Warren Buffet to your list as well.

__________________________

10. slychard says:

This TT thing reminds me of a vacation I had on Martha’s Vineyard. During my stay there I went to church. Although I am Catholic I’m not much of a practitioner, I simply went knowing the Clinton’s who were on the island at the time, would be there. So I went through the metal detectors and took my seat. Once Bill and Hillary appeared from behind the alter the crowd rushed the stage like it was the Beatles. I remained seated and told my wife at the time “I don’t ever go to church but even I know this is a lack of decorum considering the setting.” Secret service agents billy-clubbed and taizered the crowd into submission… sorry I embellished a little, but the agents were none too pleased. After sitting through a sermon by a guest preacher from upstate NY that used his platform as a means to abolish the death penalty since he worked at a prison death-row, I started to moan and groan, would he have had the same sermon without the Clinton’s present? I think not. Why am I here? I’m on vacation, I could be drinking beer with my cereal right now. The congregation started getting restless, I assumed they were feeling the same as I. Any how after the service we got to meet and shake hands with the president. I’m even certain Hillary gave me a wink. Point is I went through all this just to meet a president. TT would have had it easier. Imagine visiting the white house. His loss.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Kiss my hAbSS!!!

11. Da Hema says:

I suppose, in the end, Thomas felt he made the white — er, right — decision.

12. Les Canayens says:

Here we go again, François Gagnon trying to earn his paycheck with another attempt in a “I’m not responsible” writing style to run another player out of town. This time, it’s PK. I feel bad just by giving him some publicity but here you go:

▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁
    ☞ I can’t really hear what Jeremy says, because I’ve got my two Stanley Cup rings plugging my ears.☜

• HardHabits says:

I don’t see the article as a running anybody out of town. He never mentions anything about team troubles or chemistry. Only that the Habs have two impact players that could bring solid returns. He is looking at the Habs getting a centre like Eric Staal or Getzlaf. He figures that Molson wont trade Price so Subban is the only other possible marquis player the Habs have to swing a block buster trade.

Why not trade Subban if it meant Taylor Hall, Getzlaf, Eric Staal, or Kopitar in return.

Running him out of town would be trading Subban for Derek Roy. Gagnon is clearly not suggesting the Habs lose on the trade. He gives examples of trades the Habs should not emulate, Ribiero for Niinimaa for example.

Nice try stirring the pot. Step aside sometime I’ll show you how to cook up a storm. :-P

• Les Canayens says:

I’m not worthy (doing the two hands bow down)

He did made some valid points, and I used to like him as the more level headed debater back in the days of 110%.

What I have against him is his writing style that insinuates things can happen both ways (either PK is given for nothing, or they have to do a successful Erik Johnson type swap) but slaps his article with a sure to provoke title to incite debates the day after, especially on an off day. Then if a PK trade happens, he’ll be all like “no I never said that, no I never wrote that” Of course he did not. But his choice of title shows how shrewd he is.

BTW Erik Johnson was not going through a slump when traded. It’s not a good idea to trade a player when he’s underachieving, you’ll not get good value. So trading PK now is bad timing and will never get you Getzlaf, Kopitar, Eric Staal.

▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁

• matt jordan says:

but the Rangers traded Gomez and he didn’t have any value. they got a good return for him

• Un Canadien errant says:

Hmmm, I’m not sour on François Gagnon like you are. I think he’s one of the credible journalists out there, constrained as he is by the limits of his profession. It’s in vogue now to kind of blame him for causing trouble for Mike Cammalleri, who took refuge behind the “I was misquoted” or “I was quoted out of context” defence, but in these instances I always side with the reporter. Invariably, they’re telling the truth and the athlete is doing some damage control. What convinced me was Mike’s smirk when he was explaining he had to work harder at practice because he wasn’t getting a lot of icetime, his expression and sarcastic tone said a lot about how he felt lately. I wasn’t too worried with the use of the words loser and losing, I got what he was trying to say, but the other quotes did the damage for me.

As far as the P.K. article, he’s not railroading him, just explaining to fans that a) if you want frontline players you have to exchange equal value, of which P.K. and Carey Price are our only two poker chips, and b) that exchanging P.K. doesn’t mean giving him away, like some angry fans who just want to get rid of him.

Nothing inflammatory here.

———————————
          How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

13. Chuck says:

Sooo… with Kaberle having won the accurate shot contest at the recent open Habs practice, does that mean that everyone will lay off of Cunneyworth the next time he uses Kaberle in the shootout?

;)

• Les Canayens says:

Well, that’s rather useful in a power play point shot though. Unless he also won the breakaway skill contest.

▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁

14. H.Upmann says:

sounds to me like Tommy Boy enjoys a lifestyle that includes hunting, rugged outdoor activities, drinking, reminiscing bout the good ol’ days, making syrup…. Actually, he sounds like an original Habitant!