Canadiens Notebook: Claude Julien faces decision on Alexei Emelin

0315 spt habs-blackhawks

STU COWAN

The Canadiens had an off-day Wednesday, following Tuesday night’s 4-2 loss to the Chicago Blackhawks at the Bell Centre.

The Canadiens will practise at 11 a.m. Thursday in Brossard and the focus will be on the team’s defence pairings and whether Alexei Emelin will be a healthy scratch when the Canadiens face the Senators in back-to-back weekend games Saturday in Ottawa (7 p.m., SN, TVA Sports, TSN Radio 690) and Sunday at the Bell Centre (7:30 p.m., SN, RDS, TSN Radio 690).

Emelin was minus-3 against the Blackhawks and in the third period lost his spot on the No. 2 defence pair beside Jeff Petry to Brandon Davidson.

Emelin was made a healthy scratch for last Tuesday’s 2-1 overtime win in Vancouver — replaced by Davidson — but was back in the lineup Thursday in Calgary, posting a minus-3 in a 5-0 loss to the Flames. Emelin remained in the lineup for Sunday’s 4-1 win in Edmonton and was even in plus/minus.

In 67 games this season, Emelin has 2-7-9 totals and is minus-2. Only forwards Dwight King (minus-3 in only six games with the Canadiens) and Artturi Lehkonen (minus-4) have a worse plus/minus figure on the team.

After Tuesday’s game, coach Claude Julien was asked if Emelin’s mistake on Chicago’s third goal — when the defenceman left his position in front of the net, leaving Artemi Panarin all alone to beat Carey Price — was “unacceptable.”

“It doesn’t matter what I say here,” Julien said. “What matters is what I do inside that dressing room and that’s what I plan on doing. I’m going to address those things, but I’m certainly not coming out here and going to tell you whether it’s acceptable or unacceptable. I think every mistake, if you want to put it that way, is unacceptable in this game, but they happen.”

When asked what he thought about Davidson’s performance beside Petry in the third period, Julien said: “I thought overall it didn’t matter who he played with. I thought he handled himself well. I thought he skated well, made good first passes. Under pressure he did the right things, so I liked his game again. That’s two games that I’ve seen him in the lineup that he’s done very well.”

Davidson, who was acquired from Edmonton on Feb. 28 in exchange for David Desharnais, logged 14:42 of ice time against the Blackhawks, picked up an assist and was plus-1.

Defenceman Nathan Beaulieu was made a healthy scratch for the first time this season against the Blackhawks.

After Julien made Emelin a healthy scratch in Vancouver, the coach said: “In my estimation, he should be in the lineup every night. That’s how good he is. He’s had a good year. He’s had a little bit of a rough stretch here lately. But he will find his game again and I’d rather have him in my lineup than out. It’s not an easy decision to make, but when you’re a coach sometimes you got to make those tough decisions for the better of the individual and the better of the team.”

The 30-year-old Emelin has one more season remaining on a four-year, US$16.4-million contract.

(Photo: John Mahoney/Montreal Gazette)

Senators move within one point of Habs

The Ottawa Senators moved within one point of the first-place Canadiens in the Atlantic Division when they picked up a point Tuesday night for a 2-1 overtime loss to the Tampa Bay Lightning.

The third-place Boston Bruins moved within four points of the Canadiens with a 5-2 win over the Flames Wednesday night in Calgary.

Byron carrying Habs’ offence

Paul Byron, who scored the Canadiens’ first goal against the Blackhawks in the third period, has now scored four the the team’s last eight goals and has a career-high 19 for the season.

When asked if he’s feeling added pressure to score goals, the 5-foot-9, 160-pound Byron said: “Not really. There was a while there where I wasn’t scoring (a 13-game slump in February). I think just as a team we got to step up everybody and start contributing goals. And you can see when we score the first goal how dominant we can be offensively. But it’s just getting that first goal is taking us too long and we can’t wait until the end of the third period to start to get going. We need to go to the blue paint, get some traffic in front of the net, because you’re not always going to score pretty goals, especially this time of the year.”

Pacioretty reunited with Galchenyuk

Julien stacked his No. 1 line against the Blackhawks, putting Alex Galchenyuk between Max Pacioretty and Alexander Radulov.

Galchenyuk and Radulov both picked up assists on Shea Weber’s goal, but Pacioretty was held off the scoresheet.

“I think we got to be better,” Pacioretty said about the line. “We got to make sure the puck comes out before we go and we got to make sure it comes out with possession. It’s a work in progress as a line. It’s not going to be perfect every night, but definitely some improvement. But still a lot of room to improve for us.”

Phillip Danault, who had been playing centre between Pacioretty and Radulov, has now gone 22 games without a goal.

Pacioretty’s 33 goals have him tied for third in the NHL, three behind Boston’s Brad Marchand and two behind Pittsburgh’s Sidney Crosby. Pacioretty is tied with Pittsburgh’s Evgeni Malkin and Winnipeg’s Patrik Laine at 33.

Home, sweet home?

Tuesday’s game was the first at home for the Canadiens following a 10-day, four-game road trip that included a stop in New York to play the Rangers before three games in Western Canada.

After losing to the Blackhawks, Julien was asked what makes the first game at home so difficult after a long road trip.

“I think you can ask any coach in the league … we wish we had the answer,” he said. “It’s one of those things where you’re gone for 10 days, you come back home … I’m just stating the facts here. We got in at about 3:30, 4 o’clock in the morning (Monday). You have to come back a day later and have a morning skate and play. And this is where again I think our team did great.

“When you’re looking at the circumstances, the time change and everything else, I thought we handled it well,” Julien added. “It’s unfortunate that we didn’t win this game, but it certainly wasn’t from the lack of trying. Those are tough circumstances that every coach tells you the same thing when you come off a long road trip. That first home game is always a challenge. To a certain extent it was for us, but I thought this team handled it a lot better than I’ve seen in my career in the past.”

After Saturday’s game in Ottawa, the Canadiens will play their next six games at the Bell Centre, where they have a 20-10-4 record this season.

HI/O Show postponed until Friday

Taping of the weekly HI/O Show, which normally appears on the website at 8 a.m. on Thursdays, was delayed because of a severe snowstorm in Montreal. As a result, it will be available at 8 a.m. Friday this week with former Canadien Chris Nilan joining Stu Cowan and Jessica Rusnak on the panel along with host Adam Susser.

• Carey Price needs more help from his teammates, by Stu Cowan

• Emelin’s mistakes prove costly in loss to Blackhawks, by Pat Hickey

• Habs’ Andrew Shaw has bizarre between-periods ritual, by Stu Cowan

1. Habitant in Surrey says:

Max, in yesterday’s snowstorm helping a stranger’s SUV stuck in the snow.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

I was sitting at My Kids dentist Tuesday watching CBC news including news of the deluge of snow on the East Coast.

Some of the scenes in Montreal of buses becoming immobile, cars deserted mid road, people blown over in the wind –surprisingly sprung wistful reminisces of Montreal to Me.

I tell My present kids to this day My ‘Montreal snow stories’, whenever there is the slightest snowfall out here in La La Land, and this winter We had more than the norm. So reflexive I have become that My Kids admonish Me before I even have a chance to begin, “Oh Dad ! Not again ! We’ve heard that story a million times !!! ”

Especially My memory coming home up Ridgewood one evening after leaving the office of RCA Ltd., my rear engine car effortlessly passing all the other poor souls in mounds of snow, of just reaching the top crest at the top of the mountainside Ridgewood snaked up, only to reach My one last challenge before reaching My apartment building’s warm garage.

The wind had blown a substantial snow barrier across the road. It was howling. The snow was so thick and whipping there was no visibility more than 10 feet in front of My fender. I was driving with speed, otherwise any loss of momentum meant no way to find traction from a slow or stopped position.

I see this 6 foot mound of snow fast rising in front of Me through the whipping snow. Decision, should I stop here ? Abandon My car in front of the mound, and walk the relatively short distance home through the blizzard ?

The Crash Crawley in Me decided to, of course, CRASH –through the snow. After all I had already made it through almost 10 miles of impossible blizzard conditions to have made it this far.

WHOOOSSSHHH FLUMMMMPPP !!!

So there I was in My dark car, covered in snow.

I manage to push open My driver door, climb some snow, descend some more snow, and walk at an acute angle to My building, My dog, My now eldest daughter, and My baddaboom Wife.

I languished in their collective warmth, and the fireplace’s, finally thinking maybe, just maybe, My car was left in the centre of the road, on a hill, in a blizzard, and this may be problematic.

Reluctantly I reassemble every winter layer and warmest boots I can find, and with a huge shovel lumber back to find My car.

Wendy was 4 then, and insisted she wanted to follow Me. She lives in New York City now, but We both laugh still to this day when We remember together finding My little red rear engine roadster swaying on top of the snow mound.

I had to dig a couple hours to bring it down to road level.

Like I said, when I tell My present Kids the story They tell Me “please Dad ! You’ve already told Us that story a million times !”

Well, at least I can telephone long-distance to New York and a more understanding ear.

2. Habitant in Surrey says:

My first hockey-related read earlier today was Hockey News.

They featured 3 interesting columns.

One on ‘Future Watch 2017: the NHL’s Top 10 rising prospects’ http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/future-watch-2017-the-nhl-s-top-10-rising-prospects

The second; Future Watch 2017: the NHL’s Top 10 falling prospects’ http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/future-watch-2017-the-nhl-s-top-10-falling-prospects

The third; ‘Does Marchant Really Have A Shot At The Hart Trophy ?’ http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/does-marchand-really-have-a-shot-at-the-hart-trophy

If You are a Habs Fan, all are as equally depressing.

The only Habs mentioned are among the ‘busts and falling’, i.e., McCarron, de la Rose and Fucale.

Marchand ? Need I elucidate ?

3. Gerry Pigeon says:

LOL.

I saw, and thanks Rockhabs fan, appreciate it.

4. Gerry Pigeon says:

Anything interesting discussed today?☺

If Habs lose two of next three to Sens, and look impotent on offence while doing so, is that enough to investigate what Price might bring in return? Or do we insist on hitting our heads on the wall some more? ☺

For those of you that think trading Price means the end of the world, think how good this team might be if we actually got, let’s say, Draisatl for Carey.

Max Draisatl Gally
    Lehkonen Chucky Rads

That’s a nice top 6 that might mean fewer games where the Habs have to play all out every game, and get to coast a bit during some of these 82 regular season games to a WIN, instead of only resting during the blowout losses. Wow, winning a few games a year comfortably! What could that do for a team’s confidence? For their ability to pace themselves during the 82 game grind?

You wonder why the Habs fade every year as the season wears on? Yup, some of it was due to being smaller. Some due to playing a fast paced game. But I bet lots has to do with being damn tired of trying to win every game 1-0…

5. Cal says:

Passing on a heads up to those with Yahoo e-mail accounts that log on here at HIO. My e-mail and Twitter accounts were hacked last night, so I had to reset my passwords. You may have to, as well, so give your accounts a quick check.

6. ColdComfort says:

From the ‘Science Marches On’ Dep’t:

I have to say that HIO does not have any trolls because while the truth shall set you free it can also get you banned. Should any show up in the future though the link does have a handy search tool to find a therapist in your area.

Edit: The Social Sciences are always giving us handy little acronyms. Here it’s the Global Assessment of Internet Trolling or GAIT. After a Habs loss the GAIT on HIO increases.

7. Habs62 says:

I am in the camp of keeping price. But I do have some reservations and also think the goalie market is very odd right now.
    I think we are at a peak of .920 goalies and the law of supply demand should keep price at no higher then $8m. Also I do agree with other posters (and have posted something similar in the past). Cup contenders don’t spend as much as we have on Defense/goaltending so I think we are to be a contender we also need to look at what we are spending on offense vs defense if we are to be a true contender.

• ColdComfort says:

I’d like to see these outdoor games played on European sized rinks. I know a lot of good judges like Adam Oates say the wider rink won’t make a difference but it would make an interesting experiment.

Melnyk likes money doesn’t he?

8. ColdComfort says:

Here’s a hair-raising fact about who the Canadiens exposed in the first expansion draft:

” The most notable players on Montreal’s exposed list were goaltenders Charlie Hodge and up-and-comer Rogie Vachon, veterans Claude Provost, Dick Duff, and Jean-Guy Talbot, as well as rookies Serge Savard, Jacques Lemaire, Carol Vadnais, Andre Boudrias, and one Claude Larose.” HEOTP

We did lose Vadnais and Larose but Savard and Lemaire! And then Oakland could have had Lafleur a few years later.

With regards to the “Trade Carey Price” movement. This summer the following goalies are UFA:
    Ryan Miller, Ben Bishop, Jonathan Bernier, Steve Mason, Ondrej Pavelec, Brian Elliott.

At least 2 or 3 of these goalies are going to be treated as very good starting goalie options for any team that feels they need a drastic upgrade. In addition it is likely Marc Andre Fleury is going to be available as a result of the expansion draft. His asking price will/would be significantly less than Price.

There is little market for Price as a result, especially considering a King’s Ransom is needed to come back to Montreal. Not to mention Goalies rarely if ever get traded for the prices that a premier dman or forward bring back. (Schneider may be the most significant, a 9th overall pick and Schneider still had 2 years remaining on deal)

It just doesn’t seem conceivable to me wherein Price is traded in the offseason.

• mrhabby says:

Agree. market is tiny for a player like Price. He signs long term here.

• Cal says:

Price will only be moved if he can’t be signed at the end of June 2018, when he’s allowed to speak to other clubs.
      If he wants out, he won’t agree to a new contract. If he wants to stay, it’ll have to be within the reality of a hard salary cap world. If he gets $10 mil/season, the D will have to cost about $3.5 mil less than it does now. The D hit this season is roughly $25.732mil (as per Cap Friendly). Getting it down to $22mil or even less should be a priority, so a little more scoring can be fit in under the cap.

• habsr4ever says:

The only other place Price would consider leaving for is for Vancouver. He loves it out in the west – especially BC. Since they are going to SUCK for another 5 years at least there is no way he is going there. Price wants a cup. The Nucks will have cap space then and they will NEED a goaltender badly. But can you see the Nucks signing Price to HUGE bucks and term when they are rebuilding?
      Price will sign here and take over all the hab goalie records (maybe not shutouts) and win a cup. He will also take a discount. $8.5M x 6 or 7.

10. ColdComfort says:

As much as I admire Plekanec’s career with the team it would be good if we could free up that $6 for next year. Emelin’s contract doesn’t seem to be a problem to me. Besides, Emelin is in a slump. I agree with the coach that he’s a good player that needs time to get his game back.

Bettman was a little more optimistic last time he spoke about next year’s cap. And then there’s the PA with the escalator thing. All in all though things will be tight next year for a lot of teams including Montreal. Esp. as I will be very disappointed if Markov is not resigned.

Conclusion: I don’t like thinking in terms of windows either. The idea is to build a team that is a contender each year. If we have a window it’s because of a lack of top end talent in the system. So we have to look at the KHL or FA’s which is hard on the cap.

11. B says:

CIS Quarter Final from Fredricton, Acadia 2 Alberta 1 after 2

–Go Habs Go!–

12. Cheech says:

De la rose and King are about the same except Kings way more money’s…

13. crane says:

Cup winning team next year

Dadonov Shipachev Rads

Patches Galch Shaw
    Leick Danault Gally
    Martinsen McCarron Bryon

Out Flynn,Pleck,Mitchell,King,Ott

Beaulieu Webber
    Markov Petry
    Sergey Benne
    Davidson Juillsen

Out Nesterov,Emelin

• Habby_Haberton says:

Are they asking to be paid the same as mens hockey or the same percentage of wages (considering Women’s hockey generates much less revenue)?

14. Habs62 says:

4ever
    Name calling aside. We would be far better off without Emelin and Pleks on the team $10.1m is way way too much. They could be replaced by prospect without negatively impacting the team.

Smiler
    You can release them it would have to be buyouts and before then you would be better if with trades with some salary retained or other prospects included. Best bet is vegas … cross fingers

• habsr4ever says:

I hear you. We aren’t the only team with players on their roster whom are over paid or they could do an upgrade on.
      When Emelin was signed that was market value. And we had nothing in our pipeline to bring what he brought to the table.
      Plekanec – Bergy went $ instead of term. Again we had no centres so really a no brainer to sign him. He kept it to two years or he was gone. EASY to say what was Bergy doing?
      You think Pleks doesn’t get a longer contract on the open market? x $5 M per year easily?? 5 x $5.5 would have been market value and please don’t say he would not have got it because lets get serious. Weak UFA market and centres are hard to get.
      Yes we can do better but those players better be availalble first off AND do they WANT to come to Montreal to play hockey? People always think the players will want to come to Montreal. We lose out so many times because of taxes and players simply don’t want to play here.
      Just my two cents.

Kind of an odd situation for Dale Weise these days. On one hand he has to be thankful to MT for playing him up in the lineup as he was able to get some good numbers on his resume, which turned into his once in a lifetime multi year contract for pretty good bucks. On the other hand it seems he isn’t playing like the 3rd/4th liner he was when Montreal first acquired him.

16. smiler2729 says:

Just release Emelin and Plekanec, Davidson/Beaulieu and Mitchell are better at the same thing these clowns bring.

_______________________________________
    Leafs blow…
    Jack Edwards is a clam…
    Gary Bettman is a bobblehead…
    Tomas Plekanec and Alexei Emelin suck

• habsr4ever says:

Plekanec is a clown – really?
      That guy has given his heart out for this team over his career. Has terrific numbers in his career. Works HARD every single game. He needs to bring more O and yes isn’t playing up to his contract number but let’s not forget what he has done for us. He is still a VERY dependable third line centre and checker for our team. I trust him out there in all defensive situations still big time. When does he EVER take foolish selfish penalties. He is a TEAM guy thru thick and thin.

Emelin – he is playing brutal right now – but let’s not forget he is the guy who got the Bruins off their game in the playoffs how many years in a row and was spectacular and a KEY factor in us upsetting them. I am ok with people saying they are struggling – but sheesh this name calling is getting a bit out of hand.

• Freddy says:

You´re completely right about the name calling. Smiler even hated Plekanec when we was pretty good. Pretended bs like he wasn´t even a 2nd line center when Pleks was among the 30 best centers in points while being pretty good defensively. Anyway, I think he´s not more than a 3rd line C anymore but that´s okay for one more year. The problem is: This team doesn´t have a 2nd line center…

As for Emelin: He´s just too slow, his positioning is pathetic at times and others are simply better. LD for me right now is:
        Beaulieu and Markov in the top 4 and then in the right order:
        Davidson
        Nesterov
        Emelin

17. fastfreddy says:

8 yrs for Rads is too long. I hope MB realizes that! 5 yrs at best.

18. Led says:

What do you guys expect Galchenyuk’s new cap hit to be?

5.5-6.0?

19. B says:

de la Rose has 4 goals in his last 6 games

–Go Habs Go!–

20. bwoar says:

And just so we’re not giving too much credit to Marinaro, Friedman talked about this in his 30th thoughts a few weeks ago. “Word is the initial ask is somewhere between six and eight years.”

If there’s a chance of getting him for $6M / 6 years I do that deal tomorrow. Does anyone think the Leafs, Sens or Bruins wouldn’t go hard for a guy like him?

Wonder if it is worth actually given him the 8 years and he either pull a Kovalchuk or a Daysyuk when his play no longer matches. Do we really believe Chayka’s calculator in Arizona is going to have stopped working by then and that Bettman will have given up the dream of hockey in a cactus field?

21. Ingy27 says:

Does anyone else think that King is not very good?

• habsr4ever says:

He has been a terrific penalty killer and keeps the other teams from taking cheap shots against our smaller players. LAK system is old school under Sutter (they are going to miss the playoffs and have done nothing much for the last couple of years). It is going to take King a bit longer to adjust to our brand of hockey and system. I expect him to produce in the playoffs as far as points. He has the resume who performs well when the games heat up. Playing in Los Angeles and now in Montreal? Its a huge adjustment.

• Butterface says:

He has not shown much. Small sample size though. I did not watch LA play a lot. So based on MB’s other finds, I will give it time.

***********************
      If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it…..
      ***********************

• New says:

I think he is fine but that he would rather be in LA. You’re talking Mitchell production with bigger size. I doubt he is a huge factor in whatever plan the Habs have going forward.

He’ll probably appear interested in the playoffs.

• habsr4ever says:

He is a UFA at season’s end. He is playing for $$$$. He’ll be interested in the playoffs – book it. A good old Saskatchewan boy.

Does he want to get $3 M per year or $2 M per year or less come July 1??
        We shall see when the dance begins.

We really need to judge this trade today, there is zero sense in waiting to see how he performs in the playoffs. That conditional 4th round pick was looking sweet this summer. I had visions of a Christophe Lalancette playing for the Beast next year in Brampton.

• Timo says:

I think he doesn’t want to be in Mtl. I can’t blame him really, but as a professional athlete, that attitude stinks.

22. thesenator18 says:

I offer Radulov 4 years 28 million no one will offer a 31 year old more with his off ice history.

• habsr4ever says:

His pay day is going to be based on his playoff performance.
      We will offer him a contract.
      But THAT contract is going to start with 6 per season or a low 7 per season.
      My guess is 5 years x $6 M. Or $6.5 MAX.
      Wasn’t his original ask 8 years time $7.5 M?
      I hate long term contracts. They are no good for ANYBODY.
      We have no first line players and his agent knows it. He is going to take us for some serious dollars and term. But at the end of the day my guess is Rads takes a haircut to play here cuz he loves the city. And yes we won’t be signing him until after the expansion draft to save us a protected player.

• Habby_Haberton says:

Yes they will – He has already proven those ‘off ice’ issues are a thing of the past.

23. B says:

Radulov has gone pointless in 9 of his last 11 games. Some wonder if he is running out of gas. He has played 65 games so far this season. Only once in his career (as per hockeydb) has he played more than 65 RS games and that was 9 years ago (07/08) for Nashville. I wonder how many full and productive seasons he has left in the tank?

–Go Habs Go!–

24. ari says:

Nothing is wrong with having Rad sign up for 8 years at 5 , 5.5 mil….All the other 38 years old made around that money now anyway.such as doan,iginla,yagr…In eight years will be a bargain…

And I love to see kovalchuk here next year too..

25. boing007 says:

Enlist all the Russian Habs to assist MB in bringing ShipAhoy to Montreal ASAP.

Richard R

26. Caesar says:

If Price is traded then Habs should trade Patches Weber and Petry too. Go all on on the rebuild and in 5 years have a great team of youngsters lead by Gally Chucky Juulsen Sergachev etc otherwise keep on keeping on

• Butterface says:

Well we can’t trade Patches. Although he would net us the most in return.

Price is different. He will cost us 8.5 million for a 20 goal scorer.
      .930-.920 based on 2000 shots.

If we can find a .920 save percentage goalie and pay reasonable dollars then we can buy more goals.

We want to keep at least 92% of the shots out of the net and we want to buy more goals.

A team is confident with a goalie that saves at a 92% rate. They play with confidence. You find competent defensemen who help to maintain a 92% save rate. Then you spend money to buy goals. As many as you can under the cap.

***********************
      If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it…..
      ***********************

27. Sir Lance Compte says:

Does King stay in the lineup?
    Should Martinson come in?
    Does Hudon or Terry get a shot?
    Emelin out?

• bwoar says:

1. King stays. This is the Sens.
      2. Yes.
      3. No.
      4. No.

You guys can forget about Hudon and Terry right now – the Ice Caps are thick in the hunt for a playoff spot, neck-and-neck with Utica. I am 100% sure that at thins point the org would love to see those kids get every shot at succeeding and making the playoffs. Callups will happen for injuries only.

• habsr4ever says:

Why would we call up Hudon or Terry.
      Our record has been awesome since Julien took over. We have enough bodies up here. Only fwd injury is Flynn no?
      King has done better than people are giving him credit for. He is not a goal scorer. Quit thinking he is going to bring much O. He will bring some O in the post season like he always does in his 10 minutes of ice time. HE has been solid on our PK and does all those little things right that players need to do in the bottom six for teams to be successful. Don’t blame him for his lack of O. Its not in his DNA. 12–15 goals a season for a bottom six is pretty darn good especially when he plays awesome in the post season. Yes remains to be seen in a CH uniform but he has two rings and did score some BIG goals for them in their cup runs.

28. bwoar says:

Radu and Emelin sent home with the flu per Engels.

29. sakuknows says:

Since we have 0 control on how much radu gets paid (or his term for that matter) I just hope we sign the guy. He’s been nothing short of spectacular this season!

30. montreal ace says:

Not seeing many posts anymore, about how the Leafs are building a contender the right way.

• It’s incredible how the morning crew has completely disappeared They used to be the driving force behind posts that matter 😆

1. Therrien gone, nothing to talk about because Jules is awesome.
      2. Desharnais gone, everyone is happy with the players.
      3. Price playing awesome, Halak fans are bummed out.
      4. Three days off, nothing to discuss.
      5. Rogers TV deal took half the fans away because they don’t get to watch for free anymore.

Such is Life, I’m still a very happy camper…….time to spruce up the web site with modern features. I doubt that happens, it’s a free site.

Shane Oliver
      Sholi2000.com
      @sholi2000
      25 Wins to Tie Saint Patrick
      Shane&Son Dec 2016

• habsr4ever says:

Its all cuz of the fishing trip.
        They already have an excuse if they don’t make the playoffs.
        Maurice nailed it with the Maple Leaf propaganda and how Babcock is a spin doctor.
        They are going to stay the course and then they get a sniff of the playoffs and they blow a second round pick on Boyle. So glad Bergy didn’t bite on that player with Yzerman. Lou got taken to the CLEANERS on Boyle. All we hear is how great a pick up he was. Comical.

• habsinthegap says:

TV is hardly “free” when it’s part of a paid cable package and advertising dollars are built into everything we buy. Just because I refuse to pay extra to bypass blackouts on channels I already pay for doesn’t mean I’m not watching it because it’s not “free anymore”. I’m just refusing to give in to extortion.

I know I’m over-reacting to your 5th point, digging deeper than what you meant :). I’m surprised at how bitter I still am about the Rogers deal after all this time.

• Luke says:

They already built a contender the right way.

Tank for a few years and draft first overall when a generational talent at centre is available.

They just need to fill in secondary gaps now.

From 30th to flirting with the playoffs in one season. That’s a pretty good turnaround, I’d have to say.

• habsr4ever says:

Don’t forget they sucked for THREE years and not one. Well we could say sucked for LONGER than that.
        But they have picked in the top 10 how many years of the last 10? 7-8?
        Marner Reilly Nylander all top 10 picks if I am not mistaken? Throw in Matthews first over all. Sheesh I would hope they push for a playoff spot by now. Its not just one season of high picks.
        How many have we had in the last 10 years in the top 10 or even top 5?
        HUGE difference.

So are you judging the present mgmt team or the historical franchise?

Because two complete different things, but it likely depends on the narrative which one wants to see.

• habsr4ever says:

Simply just making a point that the Leafs should be pushing for a playoff spot by now. Let’s not just focus on last year being so brutal when they have stock piled HIGH draft picks year after year. These high picks have to bear fruit sooner or later. They should have been pushing for a playoff spot last year already. That’s all my point is.

Current mgmt just gave up a second round pick for a UFA in Boyle. Comical.

If the Leafs make the playoffs this season, Boyle is going to be a big part of teaching their kids what is involved in playoff hockey. It may have been a mistake, but not a critical one.

I would think we see JVR and/or Kadri traded in the next year to shore up the defense. Not to mention they have pretty could capspace available to them next year.

I’m no Leaf fan, but the present mgmt. team is doing a nice job building an exciting team to watch.

• habsr4ever says:

Second round pick for Boyle is building the right way?
        Comical.
        Panic move.
        This where Bergy earned his pay cheque and respect. Didn’t panic and did not over pay for a player.
        But again the leafs already have an excuse if they don’t make it. They went fishing in FLA and it turned their entire season around and into the tank.

31. bwoar says:

And btw Dadonov “not doing well” for the Panthers as a 21-year-old?

I’d take him in heartbeat. Stephan Weiss was their top scorer that year, 49 points. Mike Santorelli #2, 41 points.

Those are 2000-2001 Habs terrible type numbers.

32. Sir Lance Compte says:

As far as Rads goes max 5 year 30 million in my opinion. Takes over Pleks $.

33. Sir Lance Compte says:

It seems to be a pretty easy decision to sit him. He brings nothing right now not even physicality. Hopefully he’s left unprotected and picked up in the draft as well.

34. sakuknows says:

What’s the tough decision? Sit the guy. Jeez

35. habsrule_29 says:

Was at the game Tuesday night, watched the defense specifically for most of the game. The 2 mistakes by Emelin cost 2 goals. Other than him the Habs played relatively well against a powerhouse team who are a Stanley Cup contender. Sit Emelin in the pressbox until he plays like he used to being a physical on the edge Dman who forwards were afraid to go wide on.

A Habs fan trying to bring some sense to the people of Toronto!

• That’s how I saw it too. Looking back, if Emelin isn’t on the ice, those plays do not happen.

How do you stop those plays? Don’t put him on the ice. Now nothing is to say that Beaulieu doesn’t do something as stupid as what Emelin was doing but at least you know JJ doesn’t play Beaulieu against the top two lines.

Emelin on the ice right now vs anyone with speed and skill is playing with fire and we can’t afford the water, heck we can’t afford pumper.

Sweep the Sens boys. #IgotsDaFate2017

Shane Oliver
      Sholi2000.com
      @sholi2000
      25 Wins to Tie Saint Patrick
      Shane&Son Dec 2016

• nigel says:

As another Habs fan trying to bring some intelligence to the hockey talk here in Toronto, I have to concur. Emelin might be suffering from some late season fatigue or just a brain slump. This isn’t just a skid of a few games though, he was abysmal versus the Rangers as well. I think he needs to be sat for more than just 1 game, not just to instill the needed message, but to rest him as well. He looks like he needs to refocus, and perhaps a 3 game press box ride will effect this.
      As bad as Galchenyuk might look in the faceoff circle, we pretty much need him out there on the top line, at least early on in games to try and get a lead. Perhaps put Ott out there to win a deep draw, and then get Galchenyuk out there asap for the offence. The team has no one but themselves to blame for this, however, as it was their decision to not play him as a center for so long.

Habs rule, leafs drool.

36. Radulov’s agent just announced he wants 8 years, I guess that means 6 when it’s all said and done. Cya Radsie!

Edit 1: Plekanec/Emelin equals 10.1 million. Keep them on the team, play out next season, probably finish near the bottom. Draft high, throw the 10.1 at Tavares in 2018.

Shane Oliver
    Sholi2000.com
    @sholi2000
    25 Wins to Tie Saint Patrick
    Shane&Son Dec 2016

• bwoar says:

I like your Edit 1, but I’d throw 5.25M / 8 years at Radulov. He’ll get 60 points for the next 4-5 of those years.

On second thought does it make any less sense, than putting 10M down on a 80pt player?

I don’t know the answer to that, honestly, though it’s worked for the Pens & Hawks.

• The only way I see that working is if they move Petry (plus Markov will be gone too). We have Price and Galchenyuk on deck for increases.

Moving Petry wouldn’t bother me. I want my money tied up in Weber, Price, Pacioretty and Galchenyuk.

Anyone else making 5 plus million better be a 45-55 point player and Petry doesn’t do that.

Carey Price in goal, we don’t need money tied up in defense. Defeats the purpose of having a high impact goaltender.

Sergachev and Juulsen better be ready to jump right in 😎 (dangerous)

But that’s just me 😆

Shane Oliver
        Sholi2000.com
        @sholi2000
        25 Wins to Tie Saint Patrick
        Shane&Son Dec 2016

• New says:

There are only two places Radulov could get eight years, the Habs or a court.

I suspect it is a combination of dollars and term. I don’t think the Habs have made up their minds on him yet. Fans and the media have, but then they make up their minds twice every season on Pacorietty.

Plex is the highest paid forward and is 34. At age 30 he was as productive as Radulov and a defensive force. Plex is not that productive now and his contract ends at age 35. Radulov is the second highest paid forward now. He wants three years beyond age 35.

I think it will be a case of the Habs saying they will try and fit him in but if someone offers him 7 years at or above what they pay him now then he should jump at that offer.

Or they could I suppose give him 8 million X 3 and then 6 million X 2, then 1.33 X3 or a Cap of 5 million over 8 years. If he went home they’d only be on the hook for 4 million. Then again I don’t understand the Cap so that might all be smoke.

37. hooliganpants says:

are there any coaches out there that have fresher ideas than juggling lines and pulling goalies?

• habsrule_29 says:

Do not pull the goalie without puck possession in the ozone. It was too early in my opinion. Also shoot from everywhere, saw many opportunities to shoot given up or passed off to the side at Tuesdays game.

A Habs fan trying to bring some sense to the people of Toronto!

• sakuknows says:

call-ups, insert new players, sit #74

38. Don Birnam says:

Marinaro claiming Rads agent is looking for 8 year deal?

39. bwoar says:

@ UKRAINIANhab

I don’t think there’s any problem with Maurice that actual goaltending wouldn’t fix. The GM pulled a foxhole move and hasn’t fixed an obvious problem. That team with actual ‘tending would be in the playoffs, no doubt about it.

40. GenerationYHabs says:

I just read an interesting stat for people who are still saying that Weber has been mediocre at best and ineffective and slow at worst.

“Weber is 1st in GA/60 for Dmen with 500 minutes played or more, ”

Weber has allowed the least amount of goals for per 60 minutes played, while playing with Emelin as his partner for most of the year. The very same player that has looked awful the moment he was removed from the pairing.

41. Luke says:

So, How’s about them Habs, eh?

Let’s give a go this playoffs. IF it works, WOOHOO!

IF Not, Blow it the heck up.
    Hope Talbot implodes and Edmonton comes begging for Price.

Molson and Bergevin secure Draisaitl in the exchange, sewer the rest and set the table for Lafreniere in 2020.

Cup by 2025.

42. CJinBK says:

Don’t know what’s crazier: Pacioretty tied for 3rd in goals scored, or Marchand in 1st.

• habs001 says:

Marchand was probably the best forward for Canada in the fall and looks like he carried that into the season…He scored 37 goals last year and has had 4 20+ seasons…

43. CJinBK says:

Not sure what’s crazier: Pacioretty 4th in goals, of Marchand 1st.

44. fastfreddy says:

Trading Price is probably the last thing most posters want to see, but with this GM anything is possible. After all, he did trade PK Subban in order to make the team better. Why not trade Price if it’s going to improve the team? Just sayin’.

• Rockhabsfan says:

Gerry Pigeon has put forward many posts with comprehensive, reasoned arguments as to why this should happen. I disagree with him, but not just because “we can’t trade Carey”. That is part of it – he’s one of my favorite Habs, but I was a Habs fan before CP and will be after. I don’t think it makes sense on a couple of levels:
      1. After the PR fallout of the Weber Subban trade, Molson will be unlikely to trade the team’s most popular and marketable player;
      2. I don’t see a return on a trade that would add more value to the team than it would subtract, unless we are heading into a rebuild.

Most likely we ride out this season and next with CP on a decent cap hit, and try and re-sign him for something reasonable that works for both sides.

• toneez says:

@ Rockhabsfan … those who want to trade Carey have no clue and are definitely in the minority, and in my opinion are not real Hab fans , all they want to do is have something to complain about so let them cry all they want , Carey is going nowhere …

All Habs all the Time

• Rockhabsfan says:

Your last comment I think is true. I can’t see them trading CP.

I know it is only your opinion, but, mine is that those who put forward intelligent reasoned arguments as to why trading CP might be a good idea are in fact Habs fans. Probably great ones at that and yes, probably in the minority. To say they have no clue is incorrect. Just because I have a different view would take a different approach doesn’t mean they aren’t fans.

• habsr4ever says:

Mister Pigeon also picks on Price every time he lets in a questionable goal. Says he is on his knees too much. But when he stands on his head and wins MVP trophies he is no where to be found on here and doesn’t give Carey his due.
        Price is a super star player in the NHL. He is the best goalie in the NHL (ok top 3 at worst for how many years now). He is loved by his teammates. He is a leader on our team. Other players continuously talk about how good he is to face. We have seen what he does in the Olympics and world cups with the BEST players in the world shooting on him. Hard to argue with his resume.
        And we are supposed to trade him at the age of 29 or 30 (August)?
        Goalies can perform at a high level until their mid 30’s easily.
        Mind boggling for arguments out there to trade him.
        He will only be traded if HE himself wants out of Montreal.
        Just my two cents.

• Rockhabsfan says:

I’m pretty sure Gerry P does not argue that Price is in the top 3.

His point is that he is so good that the return we would get for him would be greater than what we gave up. The argument being, we give up Carey, get a number 1 top line centre back, increase the offence and win more games with top 20 goaltending and better scoring. A valid argument. But I disagree with him as I don’t see getting the top scoring help back in a trade.

• toneez says:

Trading Price WILL NOT make the team better … So get over it …

All Habs all the Time

45. Commandant says:

Alexei Emelin‘s recent play is hurting the Montreal Canadiens. Emelin has played a total of 371 career NHL games. This recent stretch of games has been the worst Habs fans have seen in his six seasons in Montreal. In a middle of a playoff race for the top seed in the Atlantic Division, Emelin has picked a bad time to slump.

Since Claude Julien has taken over behind the bench, the Montreal Canadiens have improved. The emergence of Alex Galchenyuk as a top point producing centre and Brendan Gallagher getting back to his old ways can be credited to Julien’s presence. One player in particular that has lost his way under Julien is Alexei Emelin.

46. LeaveTheCoachAlone says:

So what’s the deal with Boston. Was Julien holding them back.

• Commandant says:

Sometimes a coach just overstays his welcome. Happens to almost all coaches, doesn’t make them bad coaches though.

• LeaveTheCoachAlone says:

Perhaps, but it doesn’t explain why Montreal has done the same under either coach, and presto a change of coach in Boston has brought immediate dividends.

To put into your words, other than Price, Therrien had not overstayed his welcome it seems.

Well Price, and the hordes of hate for Therrien fans since day 1.

Seems to me, as ive said from Julien hiring, this was a knee jerk reaction, and nowhere near the panacea everyone was envious of.

Coach was very far from the actual problem in this case, but in Boston apparently it was.

Therrien and Julien are the same coaches. The only difference is one guy speaks differently, because for one hes new in this job, and more importantly he just got paid 25 million dollars regardless of however long hes behind the bench.

• piper says:

Julien is a top 10 NHL coach. Therrien will likely never coach in the NHL again. But thanks to his fox hole buddy he won’t have to.

• Loop_G says:

If you have a requirement (even a self imposed one) that your coach speak French, and your team is struggling, and the world’s best French speaking coach becomes available, it makes sense to make that move and lock up your best possible option at that position. MT did a lot of good work here, but the team is better since CJ took over.

The Coaching styles of Julien and Therrien are extremely different, in particular how they deal with players. To call these two Coaches the Same is much like saying Weber and PK are the same player. The only commonality is they both play defence, just as Therrien and Julien are both francophone Coaches.

• Timo says:

Julien has been very underwhelming, to say the least.

• toneez says:

Not nearly as much as EMPTY held the Habs back that’s for sure , EMPTY’S a loser always was, always will be … Coach Julien has won a Cup something EMPTY wont even get a sniff of …

All Habs all the Time

47. Butterface says:

Nobody wants to trade Price.

But the option has to be on the table to look at.

We aren’t signing NCAA players; we aren’t drafting good forwards.

We have a couple of good goalies and a couple of good defensemen in the farm system.

Lets look at options to trade high value, expensive players and bring in young scoring, cheaper talent.

We have a GM that has found some undervalued talent elsewhere. Maybe he can find more.

This is only if Lindgren is ready to give us a season at .920

No one is begging to trade Price… only look into that as a possibility.

***********************
    If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it…..
    ***********************

48. BC (Because of the Cats) says:

Watching the Bruins against the Flames, I’m not so certain we want to face them in the playoffs. Offensively they look a lot better than we do. I know we usually got the better of Claude Julien’s Bruins, but I’m less sure about this version.

“We gotta lotta dep.”

49. UKRAINIANhab says:

Those who want Price traded are some of the ones who complained about Max Pacioretty’s effort every night. The same guy that is what 3rd in the league in goals.

The Habs without the current captain and the best goalie in the world would be a thing to imagine.

• cbhabsfan says:

There was a time, not so long ago, when there were way more Pacioretty haters on here than there were supporters.

Where’d they all go?

• Mavid says:

In all fairness he was not playing all that well, it was explained later that he was playing injured..I am not saying the constant bashing and dumb comments were founded..but he was not at his best for sure.

Weed Wacker -and now Flamethrower Grandma Smurf

50. Caesar says:

Far be it for me to state the obvious but doesn’t CJ need to decide on all his D every game ?

51. UKRAINIANhab says:

He is such a dynamic player but I do not believe Radulov will get 7.5. I do not believe 20 goal scorers should make close to 8 mill.

Amazing player, hope the habs clan sign him but at the right price.

52. LeaveTheCoachAlone says:

`The last Canadiens player to lead the NHL in goals at the end of a season was Guy Lafleur when he scored 60 in 1977-78.`

Isn’t that a sobering thought.

53. bwoar says:

Burly,

A facking great read on Big Buff. I love that guy, my favorite Jet easy. The fact that he never watches or pays attention to any sports at all cracks me up. At 31 he’s just as old as our venerable warrior on D but somehow no one thinks of him as ancient and slow.

I recommend anyone who’s a fan of hockey check this out:

About halfway through pre-season training camp, Paul Maurice sought out the advice of one of the most opinionated people on the Winnipeg Jets staff. In his three seasons with the team, the coach had noticed and even come to rely on this guy’s eye for identifying talent. Sure, he never consulted video or looked at stats. And yeah, nobody actually paid him to scout. But Maurice still pulled him aside one day after practice. Dustin Byfuglien had plenty to report.

“I don’t know why he’s here,” Byfuglien said of one player in camp. “This guy’s a good player,” he told Maurice, of another. Then two more rapid-fire evaluations: “This guy’s pretty good. Not this guy.”

Maurice asked Byfuglien about Winnipeg’s first-round pick in 2013, 21-year-old defenceman Josh Morrissey, who’d spent the season prior with the Manitoba Moose. “I want the kid,” Byfuglien told the coach. “Put me with the kid.”

When the season opened a few weeks later, the Jets’ No. 1 defensive pairing was Buff and the kid.

• UKRAINIANhab says:

No Jets expert but I’d be very upset if I was a Jets expert to see Maurice back next year.

I’ve wondered the same, but the GM believed that Hellyebuck was ready this season and their blue line was pretty badly hurt by some key injuries with Tyler Myers gone for so long and Enstrom has been oft injured this season.

I do think that team makes an inordinate amount of mistakes/bad penalties. That part would seem to be a coaching thing.

• Timo says:

I know of a great coach that is currently available and can bring some Da System to the Jets. Maurice is soff.

54. cbhabsfan says:

Remember Vadim Shipachev? He’s is having his best year yet in the KHL and I think Bergevin has done enough wooing for Russia’s number 1 centreman to know the Habs want him, Radulov has shown that a ctalented and committed ex-KHLer can thrive in the NHL, and our large group of Russian-speaking hockey players make our dressing room an attractive place for an KHL ex-pat.

Add to that that we are a team that actually needs a frontline centreman and will likely have the cap space to pay for one next season, and that Montreal is a cosmopolitan city with a decent Russian population, and it’s tough NOT to see us being at the top of his list this summer.

And if he won’t sign, his linemate, Evengy Dadonov, is having a heck of a year for SKA as well. I’m pretty sure he wants to try the NHL as well.

They are both free agents this summer and I think we should go all-in on one or the other. Too bad we probably won’t have the cap space for both — an all-KHL line of Radulov-Shipachev-Dadonov would be dynamite.

55. bwoar says:

Joey Barrie,

Just one last thing on Shaw, he’s pretty much on the same pace for points (36) as any other year, if not for injury. I know, it’s not like you hate him, but as the GM of Les Champions Salauds I’m gonna make sure my guy gets his due. Byron has been terrific, but he’s no top line of Chicago, like we saw.

Looking forward to his meat being tough in the playoffs.

56. Danno says:

Trump holding an election-style rally right now.
    Spewing so much hatred it would make Hitler blush.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

Habs had 24 years of incompetence and mediocrity. Still didn’t succeed.

58. PK says:

Chicago Black Hawks are nothing special. Any team with a decade of incompetence and mediocrity will eventually succeed in Uncle Gary’s
    NHL.

Exceptions to that rule: Leafs and Oilers.

• expat_habsfan says:

Interesting assessment. However the Hawks have still found some very good players outside of the NHL draft (Panarin) and they did start this season with 6 rookies in the lineup.

They have also been able to cycle players from their minor league team into their lineup to fill in as necessary and these players have contributed.

The Habs have been running a shuttle to and from the Rock and none of their call ups have done anything of note except underperform.

Maybe the Hawks’ management (in the last 7 or so years) has just been outperforming the Habs’

59. Even though there is 10.1 million dollars tied up in Emelin and Plekanec we should trade Price for Crosby and Malkin. It’s that easy!

Get Some Cents People 😆