Canadiens make offer to Hamrlik

hamrlik

La Presse is reporting that the Canadiens have submitted a new contract offer to defenceman Roman Hamrlik.

The veteran’s agent, Petr Svoboda, confirmed he had received the offer and would be studying it with his client on Tuesday.

Hamrlik has played the last four seasons with the Canadiens, earning $5.5 million last season.

1. Mozeby says:

I was happy thinking we were rid of this anchor, but here we go again. Are they serious? We’re about to let a guy like Mara or the Wiz walk away who add something lacking to the lineup like D-men who aren’t afraid to make body contact, but instead we’re trying to resign a putz who seems to be on the ice for every goal against. Stupid move.

• Marc10 says:

I agree. WTF? Can you not sign Josh before you hand out the coin to someone we’ve overpaid for the past 4 years?!

Hey, I think Hammer did us a solid. He did everything he could and was rewarded handsomely for it, but during the Boston series he was exposed. Slow, weak and out of gaz.

Why would we give up anymore coin when we’re on the hook for Spacek at a ludicrous price? It’s sheer madness. I can’t believe PG would do that. It makes no sense.

Is it leverage to get Gorges to lower the asking price? WTF? Either way…. NO!!!

“To be irreplaceable, you have to be different”.
      Andy Warhol

Go PK Go!

• sally122 says:

I am a 28 years old doctor, mature and beautiful.and now I am seeking a good man who can give me real love , so i got a username Andromeda2002 on–s’e'ek’c'ou’ga’r.c óm–.it is the first and best club for y’ounger women and old’er men, or older women and y’ounger men,to int’eract with each other. Maybe you wanna ch’eck ‘it out or tell your friends!
        Georges was for sure. Can’t remember if weber was a part of the pouliot, picard pyatt not qualified post.

2. habs001 says:

a mobile d is very important in todays nhl…they can really improve your offense and get you out of trouble…i cannot believe that we will have gill spacek and hammer in the line up at the same time , if this happens the other teams will keep dumping the puck in and will have their d pinch most of the time…the bruins dominated us in the pinching department…they had no fear as only pk and the wiz where capable of making plays from our zone and getting their d caught…

3. icky pop says:

Besides, we should have weber. And maybe that explains the signing of diaz. He’s supposed to be pretty good. Perhaps good enough when needed for offensive punch from the blueline when subban or markov are out?

4. icky pop says:

I understand that another offensive minded dman is needed. But is it wise to pay $5 mil plus for a backup?

5. habs001 says:

the habs pp cannot function with only one offensive d in the line up…if pk or markov miss games our pp will be very poor. putting gorges on the pp never worked but martin kept going back to it ..plecks did not work amd spacek and hammer are an adventure out there..

6. VONLEBARON says:

There is no point in signing hammer. Thats just bad management. To let go wiz and sign a old d is classic montreal. They dont give young players a chance to grow. How is weber or any other young d develope if you keep these guys around. This is what the count wanted I bet. He is a bad coach for players to develope. TSN said are d ad to get younger,the count said we had to get younger, how would signing hammer make us younger.

7. icky pop says:

Georges is at worst a 3rd line shutdown dman that makes all gms mouths water. Captain consistancy. Didn’t he set a montreal record for most consecutive games? To think he was doing it on a bum knee.

8. icky pop says:

9. icky pop says:

Georges and weber were qualified. And I am merely trying to explain why there is no room, or plans, to keep wiz.

10. D Mex says:

Guys – where do things stand with Gorges ?

ALWAYS Habs -
    D Mex

• Andrew65 says:

I’d love to know. I posted my opinion a couple of times below. Without having a clue as to what’s really going on (and isn’t it refreshing when someone actually admits that?) I would suspect that the only reason he isn’t already signed is that his agent is asking too much.

I know he was qualified before the deadline, which may mean that we have him for another year, when he becomes a UFA (not sure). Another year would be okay, but I’d prefer to lock him up for 3 or 4, at $2.5 – $3 per.

• D Mex says:

Well, I ask because I ran into his uncle this afternoon, and asked him what was going on. I asked him what kind of number Josh might be looking for – he shrugged his shoulders and threw a relatively modest number out there.
        Just about every time I see him, I mention how much Josh is appreciated by fans and media etc in Montreal, but I doubt much of it transfers over. His uncle is a Chicago fan and would like to see him there, this might explain why he thinks Richards may wind up there (?)

ALWAYS Habs -
        D Mex

• Andrew65 says:

Not sure Chicago could afford him, even with the Campbell contract moved.

If Georges is asking for modest money, I wish PG would snap him up. Even $2.5 would be quite a raise for him. And a 4-year contract would give him security.

I used to live in Kelowna when he played there. What a team. Georges, Weber, Moen, Comeau. 4 solid NHL’ers.

Big oops…forgot Duncan Keith from that 2002/03 team.

11. icky pop says:

Its either that or we are going all out into JM’s system and only dressing dmen.

12. icky pop says:

I’m not saying I would trade him. I’m saying he will be if wiz is signed.

13. icky pop says:

Look at all the dmen we have. Hammer was offered a contract. We have like 8 nhl ready dmen on our squad. Sign wiz and we have 9. Why so many dmen. Subban can be packaged for a star forward. Maybe packaged with gomez to a team like colorado who is hurtin for a star defencemen of the future.
    I just find it fishy that we have all these dmen. Yea, dangle weber for trade bait. Still have 8 nhl ready d if you sign wiz. Yes, I’m assuming that yemilin is nhl ready since he will be in the opening night roster. Need something to get that forward we desperately need, and subban is on the most wanted list by any team gm and owner.

• Andrew65 says:

I see the logic, but PK’s the closest thing to a budding superstar we’ve had since Patrick (I was going to say LeClair, but that’s just too painful).

We don’t have Georges or Weber locked up yet. Hammer hasn’t signed. Assuming he does, here’s what we have:

Markov-Yemelin
      PK-Gill
      Hamrlik-Spacek
      Diaz

I desperately want Georges back, which would make Hammer or Spacek a very expensive 7th d-man. Not going to happen. If we sign Hammer, Georges is gone. That would be a real shame. Not that I don’t love Hammer too. I’d take him over Spatch, but there’s no getting rid of that contract.

14. icky pop says:

If the wiz is signed, expect subban to be traded.

15. shootdapuck says:

If this contract is for the same money as Gill then it might work.

Any more the upside of Wiz should be obvious.

… the fans of the Boston Bruins now have lost forever any right to complain that “the league” is out to get their team, and that the Montreal Canadiens have some kind of pull inside the NHL home office.

Charles P. Pierce – Boston Globe

• Andrew65 says:

Agreed. But with Pitkanen, Bieksa and some of the earlier potential UFA’s signed, Wiz is suddenly the best available d-man out there (arguably, I admit) so we may not get him for $4M any more.

I think if they sign Hammer, it’s bad news for Georges. That’s too bad, since he’s a heart and soul guy who has lots of good years left.

16. josh_14 says:

i dont understand wiz only wants about 4m put spacek on waivers n give wiz his 3.83m dollar contract the salary cap wont move and we all no that we would rather have wiz then spacek bcz we can sign wiz for a long term deal spacek is probably going to retire next year bcz no other team will want him and we have mathieu carle waiting to show what he can do

• jon514 says:

Based on the current CBA, you would still have to pay Spacek against the cap if you send him to the AHL or buy him out (the full salary) as he’s over 35 years old. So the only way to free up that money is to trade him (or get someone to pick him up off waivers). That being said, if you sent him with a 2nd or 3rd round pick to Florida or some market that needs to eat salary, you might get a gritty forward prospect back and find the money needed to sign Wiz. Of course, teams like Florida know that Wiz type players are gonna be available and so they won’t take a deal like that.

“Let’s be clear on the facts…”

17. icky pop says:

Because markov is a proven all round dman. Wiz had one good year. Markovs knee is a liability. So is wiz’s. Go ahead and say that his is proven to be fine, but not markovs.
    Anyone will tell you that once you have an injury, you are prone for another one. Also remember that markov has had more time to heal that knee this time around.
    I am willing to bet my fourth born child that if pg didn’t sign markov, and he went to another team and flourished, everyone would call pg out.
    Markov may be a risk, but he’s a better risk than wiz IMO. Tell me, what if he never puts up 50+ points again after we sign him to a 5 year $25 mil contract. Then we are stuck with an overpaid offensive defenseman who is hot and cold in his zone.
    I seen Wiz make some nice plays in his zone, but have seen him make piss poor plays too, not to mention he cooled down a bit at the end of the season. He wasn’t even letting loose his bombs towards the end. He seems like a very hot cold player, where markov is consistand in both ends. Not to mention markov has the knack to control the play and pinches with the best of them.

18. hfxtars54 says:

All I have to say is why, because I think it’s time to let him go, and re-sign Wiz

le_ch_1909

19. icky pop says:

And as for rebuilding, what do you think we have been doing all this time. When was the last time the habs had a long standing core of players? Montreal has become a hockey school. The players are taught the game then sent out into the world.
    I think we are beginning to see what could turn out to be a core. Price, Subban, AK, markov, pleks and georges are a good place to start. We have max making his way in. I just don’t see room for wiz on the team myself. Good player, but I think he is better off elsewhere, because with markov and subban, Wiz is destined for the third pairing. Really want to spend $5 mil+ for a third dman?

20. RetroMikey says:

Why do most on this site believe we need Weber and Gorges (Boone’s pet) on our roster?
    Weber is still a work in progress and Gorges is just another defensive DMan which can be replaced.
    Markov-Wiz
    Subban-Gill
    Hamrlik-Emelin
    Now that’s what I like! And please no Spacek on our roster. Bobby’s blunder comes back to haunt us.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

21. icky pop says:

IMO, Wiz is as strong defensively as he will get. And I just don’t justify paying an offensive dman lots of money if he isn’t responsible in his own end.
    And like I said, not every player is going to want to play for the habs. Its possible that he was offered a contract and rejected it. How much are people willing to pay Wiz? $6 mil? Paying taxes in quebec is a tough sell, as well as living somewhere where you get buy better if you are bilingual.
    Mainly I just see Wiz testing the market, and taking the best dollar, which will come from detroit or boston. I see him in a boston jersey honestly. He is exactly what they want. A fiery offensive dman that will mix it up, and they will pay more than I would hope pg is willing to offer.

22. icky pop says:

Paragraph #1

Paragraph #2

What do you know, it worked this time.

23. TorontoHabsFan says:

Ehrhoff’s negotiating rights traded to the NYI for a 4th rounder.

I wouldn’t have thought that NYI was in the market for a UFA defenceman like Ehrhoff.

I guess we can forget about Wisniewski’s rights being worth a 2nd…

24. Jdub1985 says:

First the guy who has played a total of 50 games in 50 years
    Now a 50 year old

With all this new grit and speed on D… beware Boston.

25. TorontoHabsFan says:

Dunno if it’s already been mentioned – but perhaps signing this Svoboda client is a necessary precondition to getting another Svoboda free agent to sign here?

26. showey47 says:

IMHO time to move on. Its bad enough we are probably stuck with spacek for one more year. Time to let the youth develop by giving them the minutes and responsibility. This is a major reason why we lose young players for virtually nothing and they go on to flurish else where. Our biggest issue as a team has always been player development. Young players don’t get any better if they don’t get to play.

• RetroMikey says:

So if we play our young guys as you say, we are re-tooling season after season or are we finally admitting we are rebuilding?
      So do we want a Cup or not in Montreal with youth or experience?
      Hamrlik can still play the game, and better than some young players who are in the game now playing on defence.
      “We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

• LA Loyalist says:

Well that’s moron logic. You need a judicious mix of kids and experience. The tricky part is the “judicious”.

If the minutes and $ are “judicious” for the seniors, then it’s great, the kids will come along nicely.

• showey47 says:

You think we are better off icing a defence with 3 guys over 36 in an 82 game schedule and 4 rounds of playoffs? If anything PG shouldn’t be wasting his time with hamrlik and doing whatever he can to liquidate spacek in order to keep the wiz. Nobody is talking about rebuilding,i’m talking about adding a young player to a pretty solid core of defenceman who can develop by playing a regular shift. That’s how you develop talent from within the organization. You would think that someone who constantly reminds us about your “hometown bulldogs”(which is ironically my hometown also) would understand that.

27. Un Canadien errant says:

Wis oui, Roman no man!

Let’s focus on the positive. Link below is for a page with video that shows Andrei Markov working hard in the gym, getting ready for October. I can’t wait.

———————————
    Let’s do something like this again: 1) Mike Cammalleri 2) Brian Gionta 3) Hall Gill

28. Lemur says:

Lol,

I was definitely kidding about bringing all those old players in. It was just a comment about how many czech’s we have on the team and the jagr rumors.

I’m much more comfortable going into this year with our line-up and price’s bounce back year. We have 2 second lines and a decent third line and 4 th line. Our strength will be on the backend and hopefully, yes hopefully, that will be enough for another run.

Thanks to those who clarified my waiver question and note that a few teams are going to be looking for salary in order to make the minimum cap, so as slim as it may be, spacek being waived and claimed is plausible if not possible.

29. Bradzerker says:

2 years $5-6 million. I love Hammer but anything more than that is too much at this stage of his career

30. icky pop says:

I don’t know if the paragraphs please comment is for me. If so, I appologize. I’m doing all this on my blackberry. I see all comments in order as they are received. I don’t see replies under comments, which makes the site hard to follow. As for paragraghs, I tried and failed. Sorry. I however have it in mind that wiz was not offered a contract. I don’t see him fitting our teams needs. Scores a lot of points, but so did souray, and I don’t want him back. If it weren’t for the cap, I may say go for it. He would make a great 3rd pair D an second string power play. But in a time where the cap prevails, there just isn’t room for him. IF IF IF we could have him for $3 mil, then I would say great. We have a lot of depth on our d right now (if hamrlik signs) and lots of prospects that will be ready soon enough. Let’s work on our forwards now, since we don’t have much of that in the system.

• LA Loyalist says:

You can’t do paragraphs on a black berry?

RIM should fix that before they buy a freaking hockey team!! You think!?

Keep posting, just don’t do the 5000 word thing till you get an upgrade.

Otherwise you are more than welcome, we need some fresh meat in here.

31. habs913 says:

trade?

GO HABS GO

32. habs001 says:

gill spacek.hammer are not tough enough in front of the net…gorges okay but smallish..pk okay but he should not be our tough guy ..front of the net not markovs game…5 on 5 gill,spacek,hammer and gorges provide very little offensive help…if markov or pk miss games because of injuries our pp is in big trouble and 5 on 5 scoring will be one of the worst in the league…i have seen 2 seasons now that when these 3 are in the line up we are a team that has to hang on life and death in most games to win by one goal…

• dorvalhabsfan says:

well that because you see those 3 seriously overworked. with a healthy roster not forcing 35 yr olds to play 24 mins ithink we would do alot better come playoff time
      Go Habs Go

• newbrunswick troy says:

i couldnt agree any more, although i like our defence lineup i still think we are missing one or two real soldiers out there..

33. HarryI says:

I would prefer Wisniewski tbh

• dorvalhabsfan says:

no room for a 5million dollar man
      Subban
      Markov
      gill
      spacek
      emelin
      Weber
      Gorges
      gill
      get rid of spacek anddd we can look in the AHL
      Carle
      Diaz
      why not develop players rather then throw 5 mill for a dude with a bum knee that COULD go any game, too old, too long 5 years hell fall off at some point, theres cheaper options

Go Habs Go

34. icky pop says:

I have been reading this site for half a year now, but am only about to make my second post. I am steady reading on this site about many of you screaming for Wiz. Has anyone here thought that with the way our D system is shaping up that maybe wiz has been offered a contract and turned it down? Not everyone wants to play for the canadiens. Its not like PG has the upper hand cuz he offers a jersey with a ch on it. Wiz is american. Is it not possible maybe that he grew up a bruins fan and hates the habs. He had one hell of a year, I will give him that. Remember, he was playing for a contract. This indeed was a career year for him which is why I’m willing to bet my third born child (which isn’t born yet so it will be made to order) that he doesn’t have a year like this again. And to be honest, I’m not a fan of signing him now that we have markov. do we want to tie up another $5 mil + on our d corps with price and subban coming free agents next year. And lets not forget about free agents. Yes, this years pool is weak. Is next years? We must remember that there are plenty seasons ahead. But the way people talk on this site, you would think this is the last season for the habs, and its a must that we win so we can go out with style. The state of the team was a little messed up with all these mammoth contracts to deal with. So many over payed players on our squad. But that’s what happens when you build from the free agents pool. This is the best team we have had in many years. I for one think the habs will become a contender in a few years. A core is being installed right now. Look to the obyrne trade. We traded a guy who mugged a lady for her purse and was found by police using her cell phone (look it up, it did happen. D’aggistini was there as well if I remember correctly) and we got a good prospect back in return (one of those forwards that everyone is crying for). Management knows right now is not the time to win a cup. Now is the time to build upon what we have in hopes of winning a team in the future. Signing Wiz to a long term five year is not IMO a smart move. Not if you want to build your forward corps in the future. There may be no way to sign or trade for a great player right now, but it doesn’t mean it will never happen. Like I said at the beginning of my post, it is very possible that pg did offer Wiz a contract, but wiz didn’t want it. (Doesn’t matter to me. I don’t want the wiz. I want my d men to be responsible on defence. Wiz is iffy in his own end). Might explain why they are offering hammer a buzzer beater contract. Or maybe they plan on trading spacek. His contract is movable as he can still play. Not worth what he’s getting maybe, but there are teams needing to hit the floor who could very well be interested in him. Quite the rant here considering I came to say how I don’t think wiz wants to play here. Testing the open market and landing rafalskis spot in detroit (possibly take over for lidstrom soon) sounds great to an american I would think.

• Lemur says:

Your right about Wiz being a defensive liability, but as for the habs offering him a contract, I doubt that. There is no way they would tie up the amount of money Wiz would want for 4-5 years.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but waiving Spacek and having him picked up by another team would take a portion of his salary off our books and free up a roster spot?

Thanks

ps: They should sign Hasek, Jagr, Lang and whatever old czech superstars they can get their hands on

• Mats Naslund says:

If Spacek was waived he would be available to the rest of the league. Almost certainly there would be no takers for his contract. At that point the Habs could put him in the minors which would save a whopping $100,000 on the salary cap because of his 35+ contract. If the Habs decided to bring him back up to the NHL he would be required to clear re-entry waivers. If a team chose to pick him up, they would be required to pay half of his salary. I still don’t really see much chance of this happening.

• shuttle-lemaire-lafleur says:

Correct me if I’m wrong …”They should sign Hasek, Jagr, Lang and whatever old Czech superstars they can get their hands on” ! You’re kidding right? Why would they want any of those old farts? I’ll assume you’re joking around with that comment because it’s ridiculous…!! I wouldn’t give Wiz big money either and agree with you on the fact that he is a defensive liability and that the Habs would have to overpay for him. Spacek, well…at 3.8 million and considering his age at 36, it would be a hard sell to get rid of him. I don’t think anyone would claim him off waivers. Their best bet is to bury his contract and cap hit in the AHL like NYR did with Redden. I would not have made an offer to Hamrlik from the getgo, but seeing as how they have, I wouldn’t give him more than a 1 year contract for the same as Gill,even less, maybe 2 million tops and that is pushing it. Also, play him 12 – 15 mins a game and let him sit in the press box the odd night. In all honesty, I would make a strong pitch for Ehrhoff and forget about Wiz and Hamrlik. I sign Josh Gorges for at least 3 yrs at 3 million per, he is a warrior in my book and a must sign…my opinions may differ from yours, but that’s just my way of thinking…not saying I’m right or not open to other suggestions that are sensible …but I can be bull headed at times !!

• HabitantQuebec says:

Hey Icky Pop, you know what? Your post was actually one of the smartest and well thought posts in a while! Nô doubt! The Wiz is a good puck mover and passer in addition to a good shot, but he doesnt take up a lot of space and lack on defence. Pk and Markov Will carry the offense but they CAN play great d! I dont see the need for Wiz – not at the expected price…

• LA Loyalist says:

dude, paragraphs please. some of us are nearly blind (which is why we’re so knoledgeable about puck :)