Canadiens make offer to Hamrlik

hamrlik

La Presse is reporting that the Canadiens have submitted a new contract offer to defenceman Roman Hamrlik.

The veteran’s agent, Petr Svoboda, confirmed he had received the offer and would be studying it with his client on Tuesday.

Hamrlik has played the last four seasons with the Canadiens, earning $5.5 million last season.

1. longbow says:

Randy on Team 990 just said Hammer is apparently asking for 2 to 3 years.NO FREAKING WAY !!!

“Wanting is often more pleasurable than having.It is not logical but it is often true.” – Spock

2. longbow says:

If we sign Hammer we better be offloading Spacek. I want to see Yemelin play.I’d hate to see him go back to the K because of Martins stubborn reluctance to play the younger guys. It doesn’t benefit us in the long term.

• dorvalhabsfan says:

what stubborn reluctance? he played all players as they needed to be played, whoevers on the team vs the farm is Gauthiers call and if theres no room for emelin its not Martins fault

Go Habs Go

• longbow says:

um…what ?

• dorvalhabsfan says:

ok ill simplify it for you

Gauthier make team
          Jacques Martin play team
          Gauthier call up AHL player
          Martin play player
          Gauthier send player down
          Martin does nothing
          Emelin play in KHL
          Pierre gauthier not give roster spot
          what players were SCRATCHED taht should have played?

Go Habs Go

• longbow says:

Smartass

• LA Loyalist says:

? Is Gauthier running the bench?

Ice time?

He provides the troops. JM deploys in his mysterious ways. Chicken entrails, tarot cards, poutine stains… whatever….

Emelin is not an 18 year old kid. He will get a very hard look or we are legally insane.

3. signing hammer…a big mistake. too slow…twilight at best. He was the overtired defenseman that bumped us out of the playoffs. @$%^&** with Horton’s winning goal…and if Spacek is sticking around as well…looks as though we have the same old scapegoats for the next loss. I like alittle firewagon hockey…the system is okay…but yah need a capable defense to aid in the growth process. Well at least he has a shot from the point on the powerplay…he just makes too many obvious mistakes throughout the year to, coupled with his age to warrant another looksee. Darn, and i thought management had some method to their madness around rebuilding…

• Lemur says:

I have no idea what hockey all you Hammer bashers are watching. He earned every cent of his 5.5 mill contract last year. The habs saddled him with a slow partner he had to cover for the past 2 years. How quickly we forget how well that duo played against the Pens and Wash.
      Last year he played too many minutes as a result of injuries to Markov and Georges. If you cut his minutes down to a manageable number then he should have the legs to produce all season. Pair him up with a responsible partner and we have ourselves a solid 5-6 pairing. He provides us with security and insulation for Markov in case he’s not ready to start the season. Hammer also gives JM 4 balanced defensive pairings to work with.

1 yr @ 2.5-3.5 million, bring him back

• LA Loyalist says:

With Gorges and Marky Mark back, and adding Emelin, Hammer can play less minutes and not be gassed. You can’t criticize the guy for playing his guts out on a gutted defence. He’s a damn good D man, yeah he’s past his prime but in the right situation he can do a fine job for us.

Spacek? Not so much.

4. tippytoes says:

Just remember guys;” lower your expectations with this management/coaching team.”
    This way we won’t continue to be dissapointed.

Being a mediocare team for the past 17 yrs + is ok..profits are still made. That’s the bottom line.

The on ice product is not so impottant. Just look at Gauthier’s expression from the press box after Suban scored the tieing goal in game seven vs Boston. It was like he was surprised as any one” we’ll i gues we get to play a bit more, while in fact he was expecting the team to lose the game.”

5. patience is a virtue says:

After a little debate with Tom over Hammer’s value on the PP, I did some homework at nhl.com. The results show clearly that the Hammer was a vital part of the 7th ranked PP in the league last season. He contributed almost as many points as Subban in less time on the ice.

This is a key reason why it would be better to trade Spac for pucks and sign the Hammer.

PK PP TOI for the Habs: 237:15 PP TOI/G: 3:04
    Wiz PP TOI for the Habs: 176:36 PP TOI/G: 4:06
    Hammer PP TOI for the Habs: 202:28 PP TOI/G: 2:33

…….GP ESGs ESAs ESPs PPGs PPAs PPPs
    PK….77…5…….15……20……9…….9……18
    Wiz…43…3…….11……14……4…….12…..16
    Ham..79…3……16…….19……2……13…..15

• TomNickle says:

I’m not going to back off of my criticism that he’s lazy at the opposing team’s blueline on the powerplay and couldn’t handle the puck if it were a beachball when Price is handing it off to him during a regroup.

• patience is a virtue says:

It’s OK Tom, I recognize that you don’t have a history of conceding arguments :)

• TomNickle says:

Give me Subban or Wisniewski and I’ll get you 20 powerplay points.

• patience is a virtue says:

Sure. Or how about these dreamy numbers:

Markov: 2:45 PP TOI/G, 5Gs, 20As, 25pts
            PK Sub: 3:45 PP TOI/G, 10Gs, 15As, 25pts
            Hamrlik: 2:00 PP TOI/G, 3Gs, 12As, 15pts
            Weber: 1:30 PP TOI/G, 5Gs, 5As, 10pts
            Emelin: 1:00 PP TOI/G, 2Gs, 5As, 7pts

6. PeterD says:

I think Wiz wants to test free agency and see how high the bidding goes so I don’t consider Wiz a serious option for Montreal at this time.
    I think he is going to go for $5 M type numbers for 4-5 years…with his defensive liabilities and the young guys coming I don’t see him fitting in over that sort of long term and for that kind of money.
    Rember, PK ubban is due for a serious raise next season and if Yemelin works out, he will be up for a new contract as well.

So Hammr is simply “insurance” for this season and a “respect” deal from management to a guy that worked his ass off to make up the minutes left on the ice when Markov went off with injuries these past two seasons.

7. Rainrocket16 says:

I am gonna be sick….Please do not sign Hammer….Wiz has to be a Must!!

8. mmlacroix says:

If he is going to get anything close to what he was making before. I’ll puke. He’s not the worst D man. But I really think there are way better and younger D men out there who will be cheaper. I watched hammer for the last 2 years make so many mistaks that would cost them the game. Hes worth 1 mill a year out of respect for his leadership not a penny more. Whiz is who we need to sign.

Drive 4 25

9. wall2bay says:

WHY??? Unless PG has a scheme to get rid of Spacek, I would save the $$$ and re-sign Wiz.

Maybe PG needs to see that clip in game 7 when Hammer went down like tree resulting in Kelly’s goal. This was followed by Price yelling at Hammer for basically giving up on the play!

“I kind of feel sorry for players who never got a chance to be a Montreal Canadien” – Cammalleri

• wild flower says:

When you watch games, do you only see mistakes? The Habs would not even have made the playoffs with out the Hammer.

• HardHabits says:

Jose Theodore used to make amazing saves to keep his team in it. He’s still more remembered for the softies he let in.

• habstrinifan says:

Did you see game 7 Boston vs Montreal 2011 playoffs..and Boston’s game winning goal in overtime.

Look closely and you will see the last contribution Hammrlik made to our playoffs run… and show it to PG too please.

I dont think he has seen it.

• HardHabits says:

That was a clean hit BTW.

It was also one of many plays the Hammer crapped the bed on that series.

• SeriousFan09 says:

Hamrlik was on fumes by March, it was surprising he was able to play that point in the season. I feel for the guy, but time to turn the page.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
        SF09 on Twitter

• HardHabits says:

My good friend. I fear for this team. Short term I have little if any expectations. I am talking long term. I don’t see a strategy. I don’t see a #1 line in the works.

What I see are patch-work moves intended to make the Habs a team that makes the play-offs in the last few spots available.

Boston and Philadelphia are better teams today and they look even better moving forward. The Habs look like an organization that keeps spinning it’s wheels in the mud.

I’ll be very surprised if they make it within one of the top 10 over-all spots.

Look at it this way. If the Habs didn’t have Price and Subban how optimistic would you be?

The Bruins lost Kessel and got better. The Flyers lost Carter and Richards and got better. The Habs wanted to trade PK and Price for Lecavalier of all people.

• SeriousFan09 says:

Flyers almost dealt Carter for Kaberle at one point as well HH, instead they got Sean Couturier, Jakub Voracek and Nick Cousins. A lot of trades get discussed that turn into ether.

I’m aware MTL has not been able to make a significant jump against our opposition this year but as I’ve so often discussed, I don’t think MTL can really make the leap into the Top Contenders group until 12-13, 13-14 or so. Until our next generation of forwards pays their dues in the AHL and is ready to play in the big show. Granted, I still am not convinced outside of Beaulieu MTL made much out of the 2011 Draft.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
            SF09 on Twitter

• TomNickle says:

Nick Cousins can stick handle in a phone booth.

If he makes it, he’ll be special.

• On the play in question there was no hit made. Kelly’s stick caught Hamrlik in the face as he was skating by, and Hamrlik fell. And the puck wasn’t there either, so I think you’re just trolling again.

• HardHabits says:

It was a hit. Shoulder to shoulder.

It was soft. It was weak. It was shameful.

The stick came up but not enough for a penalty call.

• He was already going down by the time shoulder contact was made. And he was cut on the play. But whatever, HH is always right in lala land.

• LA Loyalist says:

We lost to Boston when we choked the 3rd game after we had our skate on their neck and because we can’t score.

No defence can spend entire periods in their own end and not get burned.

The loss to Boston is on useless Gomez and Prevent Defense Martin. It happened in game 3.

What happened with Hammer in Game 7 is irrelevant.

10. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Markov’s contract was based on Markov not getting injured again. And this offer would be based on Markov not getting injured again too. A lot riding on Markov’s health.

I’m fine with it if Hammer can play 3rd pairing minutes and gets paid 3rd pairing money. But if he has to play as much as he did last year…

Markov – Subban
    Gill – Gorges
    Hammer – Yemelin/Spacek rotating. Weber every game against the Bruins — seems to have Thomas’ number :)

11. Kramby says:

I would take Hammer over Wiz any day. Hammer and Spacek won’t have to play the same minutes that they did last year with a healthy Markov and Georges.
    D pairs
    Markov – Georges
    Gill – Subban
    Spacek – Hammer – Emilen
    That works for me. Take the money for Wiz and get a top 6 forward.

12. RobertAlanFord says:

In no particular order:
    Markov – Emelin
    Subban – Gll
    Hamrlik- Gorges
    Weber/ Spacek for 7th d?

D is getting crowded. Someone is going to have to move down or away. Looks like we can kiss Wiz goodbye. The $ is there but not enough room on the roster. Not comfortable with this. Weber still has to prove himself and Yemelin is hit or miss if he can adapt to NA hockey.

-When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro-

• Ron in Ottawa says:

what’s the matter with PG. Yes we need to start with the D but for pete’s sake start with Gorges. Then move to the WIZ. Then see what you have left. the only reason i can see for this pattern of signings is that the Wiz has let it known he either wanys out of Montreal or he wants a ton of money.

• TomNickle says:

Yemelin plays a North American style of game, if he didn’t, the Habs wouldn’t have signed him.

• longbow says:

Completely agree. NHL style and ice size are to his advantage.

• LA Loyalist says:

You’re forgetting the 73 D men we drafted this year, if you want to talk crowded.

13. habs001 says:

if they sign hammer and keep spacek i am pretty sure martin will have gill,spacek,hammer in the line up…this would be a huge step backwards…we all saw what it takes to win 4 rounds and the punishment a teams d has to give out and take…

14. TomNickle says:

Apparently Paul Holmgren told Jeff Carter and Rick Curran a week before trading him that there was no truth to the Columbus rumours and that he had no intention of trading him.

Wow.

Good luck signing free agents in the coming seasons Paul.

15. arcosenate says:

I am getting the impression that PG liked his team last year and is content to stand pat. That scarss the hell out of me because we weren’t that great last season. We didn’t have enough size up front to survive the 4 rounds of the playoffs and our leading scorer had 57 points. The defence with Spacek, Gill and Hamrlik is going to be out of gas again come playoff time.

In any case he still has the time and the money to at least make a couple of improvements.

but somehow I doubt he will.

• TomNickle says:

If he’s letting Pyatt and Pouliot go and not signing Wisniewski. I would say that he isn’t content with where the team is.

He hasn’t yet done those things but if he does there will be replacements.

16. Ozmodiar says:

As crazy as it sounds, maybe this is a sign that they want to keep the Wiz.

Let’s say, because of injury history and youth, they want to carry 8 defensemen. If they have a limit on what they want to spend on D, perhaps having the Hammer instead of Spacek gives them room to re-sign the Wiz. If they can trade Spacek and sign Hammer to a 1yr deal @ 2.25, they will save over 1.5M.

Maybe our offensive help has to come from our 3rd D pairing (and PP), cause the FA cupboard is gonna be pretty bare come July 1.

17. Chris F says:

Lets all hope that this is just half the story. The other half sees Spacek moving on. I don’t believe you can win with Spacek and Hammer in your top six, playing the kind of minutes they have played in the past. They are both just too slow getting back, it’s fine when they have the puck, but what everyone must realise, is that we don’t have the puck on most nights for over 50% of the time. These guys can’t chase down anyone, and can’t muscle anyone off the puck. Sure Hammer and Spacek are wily veterans who can out-think the younger, faster, opposition at times, but we already have Gill, and that’s what he does. It’s just too much of the same thing.
    Please tell me this is just part of your plan PG, please tell us that Hammer, Spacek, and Gill will not play together again this year. Please tell me that you have more imagination than this. It’s like my kids in school writing the same exact story each and every time and expecting a different mark. C’mon PG, there are other Younger, bigger, tougher d-men out there.
    Sure, they don’t know JM’s system, sure there would have to be some “more real coaching” that would have to exist, but please, are you simply bringing back the “old” guys to make it easy on your coach?? Surely to God you have more confindence in your fearless bench boss than this.
    Would you like a list of possible D-men available come July 1st?? Can someone please get me PG phone number.
    And no, I don’t think I could do a better job than PG, in his time as GM, he has picked up the Wiz for a second round pick. For that I will always give him props.

18. deuce6 says:

I have no problem with this. Hammer still has some gas left in the tank. Just hope it is not too much.

Rumours of a Team in the South screwing up their Qualifying Offers, okay so it is a bs eklund rumour. But imagine if it is Tallon, wouldn’t that be the 2nd time he screwed up qualifying offers right at deadline? (Back in Chicago).

20. JD_ says:

* I’m hearin’ Stamky will be gracin’ the cover of EA’s NHL 12. Is there anythin’ Guy Boucher can’t do?

* I’ve no problem with Hamr re-signin’ for a I-vant-to-end-my-career-in-Montreal discount, but I’m also on board with Spacecake – an honourable man, to be sure – plyin’ his trade elsewhere. In the no-grope new NHL, the D-man’s role is exactin’ and there’s just no rhyme nor reason for three guys old enough to be Berkshire’s father to make up half the back-end roster.

* On a positive note, should the Habs go ahead with an aged D-corps that is forced to kinda clutch-and-grab speedy forwards blazin’ past them at the blue line, at least we won’t have to listen to Benny B and his “C’était limite!” any longer.

* Havin’ said that, BB’s successor as Pierre Houde’s colour guy, Marc Denis, has about as much OnScreenGravitas™ as a frozen perogi, that it shouldn’t be too long before RDS viewers are callin’ for his head. Not really sure what the RDS braintrust was thinkin’ with that particular selection – unless, of course, Houde just doesn’t want to partner with anyone who might eventually squeeze him out – cause Denis doesn’t seem to have even enough charisma to weed my lawn.

* A sum total of $4.5M per annum over six years for a 20-goal scorer on a team that ostensibly tries to win with offence? You know, every team has a handful of wonky contracts, but you’d think there’s no way yet another one will be handed out. Christ, at the risk of slight exaggeration, the Caps could ostensibly pick up Poolio for a minute fraction of that and he’d produce the same output in that jersey.

* I have this gut feel about Poolio’s issue. I don’t want to go into it, cause it’s based on nothin’ other than purely my own speculation, but you can read between the lines.

* The key thing to remember when readin’ yet another neurotic hockey dilettante (NHD) post: HI/O does not have a formal admissions process.

21. JayBee says:

Here was a good chance to revamp the D and PG went and re-signed 2 slow, 35+ d-men and let the talented, young guy go.

Soft up front, soft and slow on the back end. What is our identity again?

22. bwoar says:

Any appetite for a massive Stamkos offer sheet? Cause that’s what I’m talking about.

23. Thomas Le Fan says:

I love the fact that this site is so democratic. Those who don’t know a thing of what they’re talking about are allowed to opine with those who do. WINNING! In a perfect world with no salary cap, all 30 first round picks, every free agent desperate to play in Montreal and Kirk Muller as head coach of a team of behemoths we’d be WINNING 82 games every year!

GO HABS!

24. joshua94k says:

Perhaps Chara will be the 1st player in NHL history to spend the day with the Stanley Cup in jail….

Montreal police say charges against Boston Bruins captain Zdeno Chara have still not been ruled out as they prepare to speak to him in the coming weeks.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/story/2011/06/28/montreal-police-chara-interview.html#ixzz1Qam2YcvS

25. patience is a virtue says:

I gotta believe that signing Hammer would mean PG has found a team that needs to hit the cap floor and will take Spac (and that his NTC won’t stop the deal).

If that is the case, then I think it’s a big upgrade to have Hammer on the 3rd pairing instead of Spac. He is producing more points, can play the PP, and is healthier/more reliable.

The PP role is key – with Gorges and Gill in the top six, you need the other four dmen to be effective on the PP, which Spac has not proven to be since coming to Mtl.

• You’re speakin’ my language.

• TomNickle says:

The only things Hamrlik does well on the powerplay is not hold the blueline and bobble the puck when he regroups in his own end.

• RobertAlanFord says:

My biggest beef with Hamrlik is when he moving up the ice with the puck. as soon as he hits the red line he dumps short side. EVERYTIME!!! Philly’s D caught us on that a few years back in the playoffs and one of the few goals we got late in that series is when Hamrlik changed it up and cleared it to the opposite corner instead and threw their d off. He’s a very predictable player. Strong for a 5th or 6th dman though and a good back up for pointman on the pp.

-When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro-

• patience is a virtue says:

Really? His PP point production was second only to the Wiz, ahead of Subban, Weber, Spac, etc: http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_statistics.php?ds=20&f1=2010_s&f2=5v4&f4=D&f5=MTL&c=0+1+3+5+17+18+19+20

• TomNickle says:

Points per 60 minutes of icetime doesn’t take into account the kind of ice time that has been played. For example, Hamrlik had the second most powerplay time on ice among our defensemen. Naturally he’s going to get points off of other players’ goals while on the powerplay. Josh Gorges wouldn’t have performed any worse in that role. The structural breakdown of their points/60 minutes glorifies players beyond belief by the way. According to NHL.com, Hamrlik scored a powerplay point for every 13 minutes of powerplay time he received. In terms of powerplay points/powerplay minutes played, Subban was better, not worse.

Going by a 60 minute metric screws with the numbers. Going by the minute, which is more accurate due to one minute being closely associated with an actual powerplay shows a more accurate reading of how effective a player is on the powerplay.

• patience is a virtue says:

Fair enough – I am not going to try to argue that Hammer is better on the PP than PK. But your additional evidence belies your original shot at Hammer and helps to prove that he was a solid and reliable PP contributor – he played a leading role in a well above average NHL PP last season. I disagree that the same would have been true of Gorges or Spac if that role were assigned to them, but this is only speculation, however you cut it.

• RobertAlanFord says:

I hope thats the case. Aside from MAYBE throwing Wiz into the mix all we need now is two bottom six forwards and we’re set. I’m crossing my fingers for Upshall.

-When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro-

26. punkster says:

Posted on the other thread…
    OK, now this is real news. Montreal police to probe Chara…well Chara’s hit…seriously, read it. Too funny. OK how many probing jokes can we stack up here today?

***Subbang Baby!!!***

27. Hobie Hansen says:

I’m fine with Hamrlik coming back for one year at 2.5 mill or something along those lines.

He might be afraid to get punched in the face and stick up for his team but he’s still big and plays a pretty solid game.

As long as he’s getting way less ice time and isn’t forced to do what he did last year I think he’s a better than average 5th-6th defenseman.

If he comes back and we’re looking at Markov, Subban, Gorges, Gill, Yemelin and Hamrlik with Spacek and Weber as the odd men out, Habs fans better be ready for another year of getting pushed around and laughed at in our end after every whistle though.

Subban plays real a strong game and will stand up for himself if he has to but isn’t regarded as a tough defenseman and small guys love to try and sucker Gill into a scrap because they know he’s soft.

The most important thing is getting the puck out of our end and up to the forwards and I think that the core we have can do that but when the games get rough there’s not nearly enough of a nasty or physical presence back there to even make opposing forwards think twice about running around in the Canadiens end. We’ll see some embarrassing moments again like last year for sure.

So while I am a half glass full guy when it comes to our overall team, my concern with this signing is JM’s habits. Loves to play the veterans. I believe if given the opportunity he plays his vet’s way more than the youngsters.

A coach in the NHL is only concerned with W’s and L’s, that is what gets him his next contract. And JM like alot of senior coach’s loves to play the vets.

We will see Markov PK, Gill Gorges, Spacek Hamr with a sprinkling of Weber and Emelin.

Unless PG specifically tells JM you have to develop Emelin and Weber, to which JM says then give me a contract extension to prove you want them developed, then HIO goes berserko.

Okay exaggerating a bit, but JM loves his VETS.

• mrhabby says:

unless of course we get john scott and trevor gillies on the 4th line and no prblem…lol.

So the Montreal Police want to have a little chat with Mr. Chara, this is going to get the Bruin trolls back on our webpage.

29. LL says:

A Day in the Life of HIO. :) to be taken with a grain of salt

“Oh my God, John Doe is available as an UFA, let’s get him now!”

“Meh, he’s overrated and soft, could do much better with the 4 mil he’s being paid”

“Are you a moron? Doe is an amazing player and on a crap team he managed 30 goals.”

“Yeah right, crap team, what do you know about hockey?”

“Listen you POS, I forgot more about hockey than you know about hockey.”

“OK guys, keep it classy”

“Yeah but our GM is a wimp and won’t make that trade’”

“Who ya gonna give up for him? Price, Subban?

“Haha, Price, he folded during the playoffs”

“Whaaaaaa, are you on crack?”

“No, he’s just a troll.”

“Just because I don’t agree with the almighty kwow-it-all doesn’t make me a troll OK?”

“OK, I’m outta here, this 5 reply limit is irritating me”

“I totally agree, I’m going for a walk”

30. SmartDog says:

Let’s hope they made Hamrlik a coaching offer. We could use a smart tough old D-man… behind the bench.

31. Un Canadien errant says:

Serge Touchette writes that with Pouliot, the packaging is attractive, but the box is empty.

———————————
    Let’s do something like this again: 1) Mike Cammalleri 2) Brian Gionta 3) Hall Gill

32. Hoegarden says:

When the time came for Robinson, Savard and Lapointe to be moved, Management did just that. Last year, around mid-Feb one could see that Hammer was running on fumes after the second period (yes, Markov’s injury blah blah). At his age, Hamrlik cannot be on the ice for 20+ minutes all year. As much as I respect him and appreciate all the hard work he demonstrated, time has come for him and Spacek to be let go, with respect and a firm handshake.
    I have been praying for the past few years that a former D-man with teaching skills should be behind the bench to support and teach our young D-men. Eric Desjardins or even Joel Bouchard would be perfect IMO.

33. Mikey_39 says:

Hamrlik is a great defenseman and under normal circumstances I would have re-signed him. However, right now we have Markov, Emelin, Gill, Subban, Spacek, (Gorges), and Weber. We don’t have any spots left. We already know JM will play the verterans over the rookies all the time, and personally I think it’s time to give Weber a shot. He hasn’t been given the opportunity to play D for an extended period of time and I really think he could be part of our talented young core. We messed up with Streit a couple of years ago, let’s not make the same mistake again.

And I really don’t get where all these Gomez trade rumors started. He has zero value to any other team right now, he’s staying.

• tobbs says:

I hope Emelin works out but this will be his 1st year in the NHL and Webber is still learning the ropes. If we run into injuries again, or Emelin is a bust, Hamer will be needed.

• Mikey_39 says:

I agree, but with 8D, you can guarantee spacek and hamrlik will be playing together and that Weber will be played as a forward. Same mistake we made with Streit. I want to see Weber given a chance and I want a fourth line of tough grinders, not extra D. When was the last time we had a great energy producing fourth line?

• Spacek is close to a trade, I’d wager. That or Weber’s going to play as a 4th line fwd like he was, effectively might I add, in the playoffs.

34. Mr_MacDougall says:

Today I am thankful that i woke up and heard on the radio that Brooks Laich was signed. Perhaps it was all posters “pipe dreams” but I did not want to see the Habs make a “Ryan Malone” type mistake like T-Bay. 4.5 million for an average 3rd liner is absurd…. now let us watch and enjoy Bruce HAVE to make him a second liner b/c he makes 4.5 mill. per season.

35. joeybarrie says:

If MAB is worth 2 mill over 2 years, we will have to pay 5 million for Hamr…
    I like that we are sticking with Hamr. He is solid. The slow aging remarks are nonsense. 2.5 million and I’m happy.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

• jimmy shaker says:

You’ll be the only happy one it looks like! Hammer is solid though…..solidly mediocre in all aspects of the game!!

Shaker

• ehhhhh the concensus seems split as to those thinking this is positive or negative so im unsure as to why you are trying to paint a false picture

• Viruk42 says:

If he signs for 2mil, I’m also happy. 2.5-3 and I will wait and see how the season goes (whether Emelin is a bust, whether Markov gets injured, whether they trade Spacek, etc), but I’ll be okay with it for now.

He shouldn’t be signed for higher than 3, and I really doubt that he would be. But I think it’s good to bring him back, as long as the cost is reasonable.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

if MAB is worth 2, I think we offer Hammer $50 over 5.. lock him up before his value sky-rockets!

FYI I think with all the cap space the Habs have, it is great to add depth on the Blue Line. The reason JM loves vets is b/c you know what you get. As “shaker” said, he is average in all aspects of the game, much better than being below average IMO.

• “2.5 million and I’m happy.” I hope I’m wrong and you’re right, but I think it’ll be closer to 3.5-4.

The Hammer is a very good defense man for us. He is long in the tooth and did play to many minuets per game last year.

With a healthier back end this year, he will do a great job for us.

37. RetroMikey says:

I’ve said this all along Hamrlik is one of our most prized, underrated DMan on our team and plays hard game in and out and one of my favourites on the team.
    The guy is a horse and can still play at least another 2 or 3 seasons IMO.
    He wants to stay in Montreal so let’s sign him and Wiz and out with Spacek, Gorges and Weber in a trade or two. Just imagine, Hamrlik, MArkov, Subban, Emelin, Wiz, and Gill plus a 7th minor league Dman.
    Yup, we need Hamrlik and the physical presence of Wiz!

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

• tobbs says:

you lost me @ “out with Spacek, Gorges”

• SeriousFan09 says:

Okay, then let’s assign Subban to the AHL and trade him since he’s completely overhyped as well ;)

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
      SF09 on Twitter

• TomNickle says:

I would expect a Bruin fan to want Hamrlik back in the Habs lineup.

• tobbs says:

Man, really dont understand the dislike of Hammer, he was over used and still managed to hold his game together. If he can play the minutes he should have been playing against oppposing 2nd and 3rd lines, he’ll be a good deal @ 2-3 mil

• TomNickle says:

It isn’t a dislike. I don’t know the man, I have no cause or justification to dislike him, so I don’t. He isn’t capable of adequately filling in for first pairing defensemen. He isn’t capable of being on the powerplay or penalty kill. He doesn’t perform well in these roles. The worst part is that others aren’t given a chance. When Markov went down Hamrlik immediately was given the opportunity to take that role, and then losing streaks ensued around Christmas time because he was dog tired and not able to handle the workload.

Gorges, when healthy can step into that role and do a much better job.

• ed lopaz says:

Tom – as long as I can read your posts about Hamrlik I know I am still sane.

This place is a mad house.

What does Hamrlik bring that Weber does not bring?

They both have won the same amount of Cups, thats for dam sure.

Hamrlik panics when he is forechecked, he is more prone to give aways than a green rookie, he is slow, he tires very easily, and he wears out as the season progresses.

Hamrlik plays so soft in front of Price that teams know they can score on rebounds in the blue paint.

Look no further than game 5 vs the Bruins double OT goal scored by Horton with Hamrlik looking on in awe as Horton pokes home a loose puck sitting in our crease.

Weber has earned his spot in the lineup.

Can’t we all see that its time to move on?

How many $500,000 bonus checks for making the playoffs does Martin have to cash, before we start fielding a team that can actually win the Cup???

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH ALREADY!!

• But that will never happen. Instead we’re wasting cash signing the Hammer instead of Wiz or the top 6 fwd we desperately need. I think this implies that they rotate Emelin, Spac & Hammer in the bottom pairing and play Weber as a fwd. What else makes any sense?

• jimmy shaker says:

Cancel that order, any lineup with hammer penciled in it, is more of the same mediocre crap that did nothing for us last year. His time and contract are up, say goodbye and thankyou, but the club should be moving in a different direction……a younger/cheaper direction, where that cap money can be used for a big tough forward!

Shaker

• mrhabby says:

i can’t think of anybody down on the farm to move up and take his place can u and who on the ufa list is cheaper/younger.

• jimmy shaker says:

Weber needs a shot or diaz. And since the wiz is gone, go and try for erhoff. Or for a forward….just no more hammer, please! I can take the mistakes from a weber or diaz but not from hammer anymore!

Shaker

38. CHsam says:

Anybody have any thoughts & ideas about Fabian Brunnstrom? The Leafs didn’t qualify him.. recorded a hat trick in his first NHL game. 6’1 and 200 over. If memory serves correct, Gainey was after this guy before Dallas landed him. Any thoughts?

39. SnowManHabs85 says:

Apparently, Tallon GM of Panthers is looking to lure Vokoun to re-sign with the Panthers with the acquisition of Campbell, maybe acquiring Gomez can help with Tallon’s off season plan?

Maybe trading center between the two clubs could be possibility?

Gomez for Weiss? Weiss has 2 more years on his contract, a cap hit of 3.1m. They’re probably about the same in value too.

“Responding to the media , or playing to the media, or listening to the fans is the quickest way to start losing” – Sam Pollock

• Ali says:

Florida would never do it, they were asking for a good young player and a first round pick for him at the deadline, he’s a legit top two line centerman given that he had no support in Florida with all of Booths injuries the past few seasons.

Oh Captain my Captain…

40. thehabsfan29 says:

cam barker on waivers

wouldn’t mind seeing him with the habs but i doubt we got the cap space for him

41. Nahlsy says:

Would rather keep Wiz and let Hammer walk personally.

42. Mattyleg says:

I’m glad that he’s staying.
    He’s said that he wants to stay, and I’m sure that it’ll be a one-year $1.5m or so. He’s well worth it, played tons of games for us, never injured, and consistent.
    It’s easy to be critical of d-men because they are the last line before the REAL scapegoat most of the time, but I think that Hammer did very well with us in the increased role he was asked to fill last season (and the season before that!)
    Glad to have someone who REALLY wants to be a Hab.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• mrhabby says:

he has played tons of games , loves to play in mtl..can’t seeing him being rewarded with a 1.5m offer. me thinks 2.5-3m range.

• patience is a virtue says:

I agreed about Hammer and think he is getting undo flak here. I’ll be glad, IF this means that Spac is being moved, but that depends on finding a buyer and his NTC.

It would make no sense for PG to sign Emelin and then have him head back to the KHL for lack of a roster spot. I can’t believe that’s the plan. Something is brewing…

Experience and Youth:

Markov-Gorges
      Gill-Subban
      Hammer-Emelin
      Weber

• Josh says:

99% of Habs fans haven’t seen Emelin play a single game and yet he’s already slotted in with some fans plans. Not to mention he has yet to play a single game in North America.

• patience is a virtue says:

He’s 25 and was, reportedly, one of the best d-men in the KHL last year. He is physically mature and a hard hitter with grit. His offensive game improved dramatically last season.

You may be right that he is not NHL-ready, but I think the Habs are going to do everything they can to help him integrate quickly.

He’s exactly what we need on the back end.

• TomNickle says:

I have seen him play and in a worst case scenario he’s a bottom pairing defenseman as an NHL rookie.

He either plays with the team next year or he is back in KHL. That is why everyone has him slotted in, he will be 6th/7th dman depending on how quick he adjusts.

• C-Sword says:

He did quite well during last regular season, but I don’t expect him to be effecient during the playoffs against physical teams, I can just picture him staying on the ice after getting hit while the other team scores in an odd-man rush.

43. C-Sword says:

Having Spacek is bad enough already. Yet, they want to bring another soft/slow/aged defenseman back. If they can’t make a trade or sign an UFA, give the kids at Hamilton a shot.

• Timo says:

This is Martin’s team, remember?

• Josh says:

Who’s the only defenceman that stepped up his game every time Markov went down with an injury while putting up around 25 minutes on many nights against other teams top players? You’ll never find someone as capable as Hamrlik in the free agent market without insanely overpaying them.

Also, who in Hamilton is going to come up? Nash? Carle? Henry? St. Denis? Petruic? They’re all absolutely awful at the AHL level and would be an absolute disaster if any of them were in Montreal.

• Mike D says:

You make it sound like we only have 6 Dmen for the Habs roster which is completely wrong. Markov, Yemelin, Gill, Spacek, Subban is already 5. Weber was qualified yesterday giving us 6 once he’s actually signed, and I think it’s safe to assume Gorges will be back which gives us 7. If you want more insurance, why not sign Mara for 750K who will have no problem sitting in the pressbox but be ready to come play when called upon.

You also neglected to mention Diaz, Patteryn, et al but that’s besides the point.

- Honestly yours

• Josh says:

I didn’t mention Diaz and all because they haven’t played in North America or are still only prospects that haven’t moved on to the AHL yet.

44. Psycho29 says:

Don’t know if you guys posted it below but Laich signed with the Caps, 6 years $27M

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

45. davelecave says:

Why do people equate Hamrlik and Spacek? They are worlds apart in terms of skills, ability and consistency.

• TomNickle says:

Skills and ability they aren’t similar, nor how they play.

Their levels of consistency are ironically as close to identical as they could possibly be.

• davelecave says:

Maybe I’m remembering wrong, but I’m sure Spacek made twice the mistakes Hammer did.

Hammer is soft in front of his own net, yes, but he rarely makes a mistake in transition. He also has been great a choosing his spots to pinch in and apply offensive pressure.

• TomNickle says:

Much like he did when he ran Jaroslav Halak over in the Conference Finals and gifted Mike Richards a tying goal.

I can provide more if you like.

Personal opinion, neither one should be seeing icetime. Hamrlik is wildly inconsistent in my opinion. And so is Spacek. There were two turnovers separating them last season but Spacek played twenty less games. With that said, there were only two takeaways separating them also. So I could easily make a case for Spacek being more effective as a defenseman than Hamrlik is.

Spacek hasn’t been healthy since last regular season either. Same thing can’t be said for Hamrlik.

46. Propwash says:

So long as the cost is reasonable, I say go for it.

47. Un Canadien errant says:

My usual position is that the management team has a better grasp of the talent and potential production of its team members, and the team’s ‘chemistry’, so I have a tough time criticizing these decisions, but my take is that as valuable a chess piece Mr. Hamrlik is, it is time to let him go. I would prefer we apportion his minutes to our younger defencemen and get them some valuable experience. Yanick Weber has been the defenceman of the future for three seasons now, when does he get a regular shift?

I don’t think we’re one or two player away from being Cup winners. I think we need a heck of a lot more depth, more assets, and we’ll get these assets by developing them. Sorry Brooks Laich fans, it looks like there won’t be an easy fix this season.

I’d rather win 3-4 fewer games with Weber or another younger defenceman on the ice than win more with Hammer. Taking a step back this season would pay off in the future.

———————————

48. NightRyder says:

Theoretically, giving the decent veterans low-money deals to play limited roles isn’t a bad idea.

If Hamrlik is playing 16-18 minutes, it’s fine. His experience and versatility can be an asset.

The problem is Martin loves the veterans and plays the shit out of them, both on D and up front. This can stunt the growth of the young ‘uns (O’Byrne, Weber for example) who played scared because they’re stapled to the bench if they make a mistake.

If we have Hamrlik and Spacek playing 22 minutes apiece at the back (and Gomez 20 up front), we will run into problems, injury and otherwise.

• TomNickle says:

O’Byrne was a first pairing player with Markov for the majority of Martin’s first season with the Habs.

• NightRyder says:

??

O’Byrne averaged 15 minutes a game that year and Markov missed half the season.

O’Byrne did play his best hockey alongside Markov though, which shouldn’t be a surprise.

• TomNickle says:

I don’t disagree that Martin prefers vets. But I strongly disagree with those who think O’Byrne was shortchanged with the Habs. Carbonneau and Martin both gave him plenty of chances.

His ice time dwindled with Markov out of the lineup specifically. With Markov in the lineup he was consistently around 20 minutes/game.

49. SeriousFan09 says:

Matt D’Agostini will be a UFA on July 1st, man is St. Louis incompetent for ‘asset management’.

Oh and for the ‘ol Tanking strategy, let us remember the razor’s edge of the Draft. Cam Barker, 3rd overall in the 2004 Entry Draft taken one spot after Evgeni Malkin is set to be bought out by the Minnesota Wild, after 1G and 4A in 52 games in his last season, playing about 16 minutes a night.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
    SF09 on Twitter

50. awesomerino says:

Unless this is part of PG’s plan to make Jagr feel more comfortable in the Habs’ dressing room, I say balls to this offer. Nothing against Hammer, who’s been very solid for us, but at this point, I think what he brings to the ice can be found in a younger, cheaper defenseman with a brighter future.

51. jimmy shaker says:

Hey PG, so you know, you already have an old aging vet, who really doesn’t contribute offensively or defensively. His name is spacek…….why make your d-core that much more older and mediocre? If you can’t sign the wiz, give weber a shot or diaz….something different for the love of God, instead of the status quo!

Shaker

52. Neutral says:

slim pickings, PG is behind the 8-ball

53. 4m3y2j says:

This is really unbelievable,a waste of money.I really have appreciated everything hammer has done but he is too old now…..

54. christophor says:

Leaving the issue of Wiz aside (which this signing does), Hammer’s not a bad bottom pairing guy and can step up into a second pairing role for a short period if need be (but not for too long, we hope).

I still think we need a 4th D (and remember, probably not Wiz). Gill isn’t that guy ideally (b/c of 5v5) but can be. Subban, Gorges, and Markov are the only top 4 D-men on the roster. Yemelin might fill that role, but he might also suck. People are way too hyped up on this guy. Hopefully you’re all right.

55. NightRyder says:

Has there been an offer out to Kyle Klubertanz yet?

56. RobertAlanFord says:

If Markov’s knee blows a tire again (knock on wood) that leaves PK and Hamrlik as our go to guys on the pp which means our second unit will be lead by gorges or spacecheck. If this is the case then I hope JM will consider using four forwards on the pp as we’ve successfully done in the past.

-When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro-

57. mrhabby says:

yawn…yawn..god a weak crop of UFA players. after richards and laich and a few others not much out there to pick from. so far most of the teams are resigning there own players. of course who could blame brooks laich for resigning with the caps. nice little salary increase and is secure for 6 years. i can’t see to much movement on the habs except for some improvement on the 4th line. ……the company line is its a new team and there has been some success not going to make radical changes.

58. Haligonian-Hab says:

It’s clear that the reason the Canadiens brass are reluctant to sign new players is because the veteran/former player room in the bell centre is clearly too small to allow for more players. it’s all logistics… I mean, once the tour number reaches 25, you’re screwed unless you got into the room first.

59. eric says:

what the Habs would sign wiz for, they can sign PK for next year. PK is a higher priority than wiz. If I’m PG I would try to sign PK to a contract extension now.

60. TomNickle says:

Svoboda and Hamrlik will be studying the offer today. Hey Petr, a little advice, sign the damn thing. You’re lucky an offer came.

61. Mike D says:

The other downside to this is that it shows PG’s hand that Wiz won’t/can’t be retained. In doing so it removes the possibility that we can trade his rights for something in return. Mind you, this close to July 1st we likely wouldn’t get anything anyway, but the point remains.

I’m not gonna pretend that I’d be a better GM than Gauthier, but it’s so painfully obvious to me that Wiz and Weber would be a stronger combo than Hamr and Spacek. Especially if Yemelin proves to be true to his billing (strong defensively). And yes, I realize the possibility that Wiz wasn’t going to re-sign and Spacek might be untradeable, but even still, I’d rather have Weber in the line up than Hamr.

- Honestly yours

62. Pat8987 says:

I sincerely don’t get this move…UNLESS Spacek is on his way out. I hope to god it’s not more than 2.5mil for 1 year. If it is, I just don’t get it…

63. Willy says:

Maybe they have some deal with Yemelin to play in the AHL for a season to get used to NA. He did sign a 2-way contract right? I don’t care for bringing Hammer back but i’m not the GM of this team and i trust PG knows what’s going on.

• TomNickle says:

He had no choice. It’s an entry level deal and they’re all two way contracts. He has a clause in his contract that states he can return to the KHL if he’s demoted to Hamilton.

64. durocher says:

Unless the offer is really a non-offer (e.g., a low-ball offer), I don’t get why we’ve engaged in Hammer for a new contract. Our top 4 are already set, we have Weber, Emelin, and Spaceman slated to play as well. Spending over $3m for Spaceman to play a 5-6 role is already ridiculous. To spend, say, $1.5m for Hammer to play a 5-6 role is also not sensible. I’d rather bring in a tough D at a cheap cost, like O’Brien for $1m. If we’re signing Hammer for insurance in case Marky goes down, then we shouldn’t be signing Marky — sign Wiz instead.

65. Greg says:

Weird. Best case scenario, PG thinks he can move Spacek. Worst case scenario, PG has doubts about his ability to sign Gorges.

Markov-PK
    Gill-Gorges
    Spacek-Hammer-Emelin
    Weber

hmmmm… not sure what he’s doing here. That being said, let’s all of us remember what happened to our defense last year. If someone goes down (unthinkable, right?) Hammer will be a great addition. He was heroic for us last year.

66. avatar_58 says:

Frankly even if they trade Spacek I don’t like this move. Enough with the vets that need to move on. Get rid of Spacek and sign the Wiz please.

• RobertAlanFord says:

Im with you avatar_58. Wiz is almost 8 years younger and more of an offensive threat. This better not be for ridiculous money, I’ll be pissed!!!!!

-When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro-

• Malreg says:

We cannot afford Wiz after this season, and he’s going to want at least 5 years at over $5 million.

• Mike D says:

Then give it to him and trade him next summer for a real asset or high draft pick because you will be able to get that in return.

- Honestly yours

• Garcia129 says:

If you give Wiz 5 this year instead of Hammer’s 2.5 (that’s my guess), and you still have to sign Georges, Weber, a back up goalie, and White, then you’d have 11 forwards, 7 D men and 2 goalies with only 3-4 million left. We need 2 more forwards and probably an 8th D man under contract. With Hammer, we have 5-6 mill to spend on those same roster spots.

If we relegate Spach to the 7th D-man ( I’d rather we trade him for a pick), then we have:

Marky – Goeorge
          Subby – Gill
          Yemlin – Hammer
          Weber/spach

Hammer can still move the puck, and that gives us a puck mover and stay at home on every pairing, with Weber as insurance. Not to mention Nash and Carle waiting in Hamilton.

In Price we Trust

• Mike D says:

Ok, let’s look at the math then. We have 14.8mil left on our cap for this upcoming year.

To re-sign White and Weber under the rules of the CBA for RFA’s we’re looking at around 700K each. Let’s use 1.5mil total. We’re still at over 13mil.

Let’s give Gorges an even 3.3mil hit which brings us down to 10mil left on the cap. Keep in mind though we might sign Gorges for closer to 2.5mil, but I’d rather overestimate for this excercise.

We’ll earmark 1mil for Auld or whoever the back up is leaving us with 9mil left on the cap.

5mil for Wiz leaves 4mil on the cap to sign 2 forwards who are likely to be inexpensive 4th liners anyway which brings us close, but still under the cap and that’s assuming a somewhat inflated salary for Gorges. Now, if we can actually trade Spacek we’re laughing, even if we can only do it at the deadline.

Your last paragraph actually illustrates the problem even further. There are guys in Hamilton who aren’t ready for primetime, but could warrant a few games to showcase what they’ve got in the event of injuries. Keeping Hamr puts all the youngsters one more step behind, not just Weber.

- Honestly yours

• Garcia129 says:

Our numbers are essentially the same. With Wiz, we’d have approx 4 mill left. I see your angle, however I’m hoping we can take a shot at top 6 forward like Eric Cole (or similar) and a 4th liner.

Signing Wiz instead of Hammer also doesn’t help your problem with my last paragraph. He still takes up a roster spot. Although I’m sure the injury bug will make an appearance and we’ll see some of the dogs up in MTL on D.

Now if we can offload Spach, then it’s a whole new scenario, and I’m hoping Hammer’s offer means PG has other plans for the Spaceman. (i hope!)

Thanks for the feedback.

In Price we Trust

• RobertAlanFord says:

true. I’m guessing price will get 5mil easy and PK in the 3mil range. thats roughly a 5 million dollar raise on the current cap hit. if gomer goes for someone in the 4 0r 5mil range and with spacecheck’s contract done we be break even. Wiz or someone of his calibre CAN be signed for 5.

Did we gain a bit of cap space now that a few rfas are officially dropped?

-When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro-

67. JayBee says:

I get the feeling that we’ll be hearing about 93 for many decades to come.

Look at PG’s “stellar” record in Ottawa and Anaheim:

Awful GM

68. Mad Habber says:

ugh hopefully hammer wont like it…

69. thehabsfan29 says:

really don’t like this move…..
    better be for cheap!!

70. CalgaryHabsFan says:

If Gauthier is planning to move Spacek this is a reasonable depth move.

If not I am not impressed at all.

71. Malreg says:

Probably an offer similar to Gill’s (1 year, 2.25 million). I could live with that.

72. shiram says:

Hopefully this is a depth move…
    If they can’t trade Spacek I hope he plays in the AHL.
    How can anyone think playing Gill/Hamr/Spacek will lead to good results next season??

• Malreg says:

Spacek is an over-35 contract, even in the AHL he counts against our cap.

• Mike D says:

Even if Spatch plays in the AHL, his salary still counts against our cap so there’s no point in degrading a vet when there’s no positive side for Management.

This is why the Hamr offer upsets me. A far as the older/slower Dmen go, I would be very happy with just Gill, and I’d be okay with Gill and Hamr, but any other scenario is not a formula for success IMO.

- Honestly yours