Audio: No suspension for Malone hit fuels plenty of debate

ryan-malone

Tampa Bay’s Ryan Malone: His hit on Chris Campoli is the topic of heated conversation today.
NHL Images

• AUDIO: Jacques Martin | Chris Campoli | Josh Gorges | Hal Gill | Erik Cole

• 3:35 pm ET update: No suspension will be given to Tampa Bay’s Ryan Malone for his hit Saturday on Canadiens’ Chris Campoli. Here is the explanation of Brendan Shanahan, the NHL’s disciplinarian.

The team is at a preseason bonding session near Collingwood, Ont.

Patrick V. Hickey is hovering nearby and will be filing updates on the stuff he’s allowed to see. (Primal Scream therapy and internal cleansings will take place behind closed doors.)

Hickey’s first bulletin from Collingwood brings good news: Chris Campoli is on the ice at the Monday morning practice. He also reports that, unlike past years, practices during the final team-building days of camp are closed to the public, though an outdoor autograph area has been set up. Govern yourselves accordingly if you’d planned to drive up from Toronto or other points nearby.

Teammates talk about hit on Campoli

Jack Todd’s take on the season

• Red Fisher’s Top 10: The 1959-’60 Canadiens

J.T. on toughness

Marc Antoine Godin sizes up the team

Puck ready to drop

Below, courtesy of @PKSubban1 on Twitter: From left: Travis Moen, Michael Cammalleri, P.K. Subban and Andrei Kostitsyn heading out to shop for groceries. Or do something else.

1. ManApart says:

I think the non-suspension was OK. Campoli was leaning down and forward. Malone kept his elbows down. If Campoli wasn’t leaning downward, it would have been a clean check and Campoli wouldn’t have gotten hurt. Maybe you could have given a token 1 game suspension for Malone not backing off when Campoli changed his stance, but it wasn’t dirty. He had him lined up before Campoli reached for the puck and was facing him straight on. Keep your head up Camper!

• Uwey says:

But was Campoli not already engaged with another Lightening player at the time, trying to protect the puck, thusbeing in a vulnerable position. I thought that was also part of the review, whether the player being hit was already engaged with another player.

2. slychard says:

From my teeny weeny iPhone screen I saw Malone throw an (unnecessary) elbow inthe hit. My head was also tilted and i was bending awkwardly at the time because my phone was plugged into the stereo under the counter at the store I work at. Imagine. This was no HD or a clear widescreen I’m talking here nor was my observation coming from after the hit trying to watch the replay. My elbow observation came as the play happened… What’s my point? That the league still has a hard on regarding nepotism in one way or the other. It’s time this team bring back BGL or something Lurchlike because we are to be tossed around like wet dolls on the ice again this season.

3. joe-hab-nuno says:

Jimmy shaker- give me some of that chill pill you took. better iput a smiley face.

4. Mattyleg says:

As I mentioned below, perceived conflicts of interest are always going to happen amongst people associated with the NHL. People from outside the NHL would only make a balls of it (see entry under G. Bettman).
    As for the conspiracy theory re: Steve Y, I don’t buy it.
    Suspending a player for the first few games of the season doesn’t mean a damn thing.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

5. durocher says:

Shanny argues that no suspension is appropriate because 1) Malone committed to the hit, and 2) Campoli lost the puck and bent forward.

What he doesn’t mention is whether Malone had the ability to change or modify his position, knowing that Campoli’s head was now vulnerable. Malone was able to mitigate the effect of the hit, but went for the head shot anyway.

According to this rule, a player can deliver a head shot so long as he committed to the hit and the other player moves, IRRESPECTIVE of whether the first player has the opportunity to avoid the head.

A “difficult” decision doesn’t absolve you from issuing a rational and consistent ruling.

6. jimmy shaker says:

Shanny made the right decision people! A five minute penalty for sure and a game misconduct, with an automatic review of the hit, but it ends there. No suspension warranted in my opinion! Now hopefully we all can move on and get ready for thursday. Can’t believe all the animosity towards us who were okay with the hit. Remember everyone, we are all habs fans at the end of the day….we all have our own views and ideas of the team, the league etc, but there has to be a way to agree to disagree without getting bent out of shape and down right vile towards one another. I’ve been guilty of this myself in the past, so I’m not calling out the public here! Anyway, Thursday will be great, and I’m very interested in hearing what donny has to say about all these suspensions on coach’s corner!

Shaker

• G-Man says:

You are as blind as Shanahan; when it comes to Canadiens players anyways.

• Habs1st says:

If this was 5, 10 years ago, I would completely agree with you. But in the “new” NHL AND with MacArthur getting 2 games, Malone should have gotten some sort of suspension. As I said, in years past, not a suspendable hit, but nowadays, and especially since Shanny took over, definitely a suspendable hit. Then again, in years past, someone (not Gorges) on the Habs would have delivered retribution!

7. Habs1st says:

This is getting ridiculous! The NHL, Shanny, Bettman, whomever, are losing more and more creditibilty every day! I cannot for the life of me, understand how MacArthur was suspended and Malone was not! Its a freakin’ joke. Abdelkader looked like he was shot when he was hit – he should have gotten a penalty for diving! I guess since it was against the Red Wings, Shanny HAD to hand out a suspension.

I know that no two hits are “exactly” the same, but when one is clearly worse than another, at least the worst one should be suspended. I think the owners (& GMs) need to step in and do something. CONSISTENCY PEOPLE! Obviously the players have to be more responsible, but how can they know how to act/deliver a hit when they don’t know if they’re going to get suspended or not? Maybe that’s it, maybe the league is working on taking hitting out the game completely! As I said, its a freakin’ joke!

8. zak says:

There are hits to the head that are hits to the head and then there are hits to the head that aren’t hits to the head

9. joe-hab-nuno says:

Shanahan ” this has been the most difficult case to review because I love Stevie Y, so there fore no suspension. Here is my bullshit explanation that was written for me by Cambell………….,

10. Chuck says:

“…But the overriding factor in our judgment was that Campoli’s loss of the puck and subsequent bending forward for it just prior contributed significantly, if not entirely, to those elements.”

If Campoli leaning forward wasn’t the sole factor in him being hit in the head, then part of the blame then lands on Malone. If that’s the case, the hit should still be suspendable, even if for not as long.

11. christophor says:

I don’t think there’s a conspiracy but the reasoning is terrible.

Look at Campoli’s projected path. If you’re looking from Price’s view and we take Garon’s net to be ‘upwards’, Campoli diverts to the right of his intended path to retrieve the lost puck. If Malone is looking for a full-body check and commits to it before Campoli changes direction to retrieve the puck (as he and Shanahan claim), then Malone should be significantly to Campoli’s left, probably missing him to that left side. Instead, Malone ends up so far to Campoli’s right, of all places, that even though Compoli is leaning to the right and he has diverted far to the right of his intended path, Malone still catches that right side of his body.

If Malone committed before Campoli diverted to the right, Malone should have collided with his ass if anywhere. This PROVES Malone calculated his hit AFTER Campoli leaned right to retrieve the puck. Malone went after him BECAUSE he saw Campoli was vulnerable to a big hit after losing the puck.

If Campoli didn’t lose the puck and Malone had already committed in the direction he actually went that night, he would have missed Campoli to the right by a country mile. No way that reasoning should fly.

Bull call on a douche of a play.

Not sure you are allowed to apply Logic to an NHL Head Office based decision. Sorry but while you make a great case, that is just way to sensible to be admissable.

12. secretdragonfly says:

Dear Ryan Malone, here’s a piece of free advice: next time you go to put on your helmet, make sure you check it to make sure someone hasn’t painted a bull’s-eye on it.

Sincerely,

A concerned fan

• govenah says:

Its sure that if this was Sid the Kid or another high profile player who was hit Malone would have been gone. In the hit on Smith on Smith last week when the victim changed his head position the suspension was given anyway.

13. caladin says:

I’m actually okay with the no suspension, now that I’ve read the reasoning. (deep breath)
    Watching all of his suspension videos he repeatedly states that the target’s head did not move immediately prior to or simultaneous with the hit. Except that in this case it did.
    Before the season started he sent out a video explaining exactly what the rules were and it was required that every player watch it.
    Okay, the rules as written are not perfect, but they are what Shanahan is using. He isn’t just doing a gut check, he’s applying the rules as written.
    Now that means that Malone gets off on a bit of a technicality here, but it also means that there is a predictable process here.
    This wasn’t a vague “it’s a hockey play” or “he’s a good guy” decision. It was that the rules as given to the players allow an excuse if the target’s head moved at the last second.
    I don’t like the rule, in fact I think it needs tweaking.

14. bolder says:

Campoli won’t be the last hab to be a victim of a cheap shot this year. There will be more, cuz other thugs around the league know that the habs do not employ a top heavy weight fighter.

• ZepFan2 says:

“cuz other thugs around the league know that the habs do not employ a top heavy weight fighter.”

Small correction: cuz other thugs around the league know that the NHL brass will do nothing when it comes to the Habs.

———————————————————————-
      Welcome to the newer NHL: The National Headshot League.

• Jordio-oh says:

Objection, your honour!

The prosecution is basing his (or her) statements purely on speculation.

• Mattyleg says:

Yep.
      There’s one thing that cheap-shot artists are terrified of: getting in a fist-fight!
      You got it in one. The Matt Cookes of this world will think twice before doing a knee-on-knee on a Hab if we have Bashy McFistsgalore on the team, because Matt Cooke is absolutley petrified of the idea of skating around in a circle holding his jersey and getting some punches to his helmet.

Good call, Bolder. I’m with you.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

15. ZepFan2 says:

“NHL Senior Vice President of Player Safety and Hockey Operations Brendan Shanahan made the call on Monday, saying this decision was his “most difficult to date.”"

Of course it was. How could he betray a friend like Stevie Y?

———————————————————————-
    Welcome to the newer NHL: The National Headshot League.

• RGM says:

Funny how the simplest things become the “most difficult” ones for the NHL to get right, eh? You hit a player in the head, you should be suspended for it. None of this “head position” changing crap, because now there’s a precedent for avoiding suspension. Just claim that the guy moved his head four inches from where you originally intended to hit him with your elbow, and you’ll get away scot free.

———————–
      GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is our year!

16. J_P says:

When was the last time a player was even suspended for a a dangerous hit on a member of the habs? The message from campbell seems to have continued with shanahan: Open season on players from the montreal canadiens. Unbelieveable. Even if he gave one game just to say that malone could have avoided the hit and has to be more vigilent, that would have been acceptable.

FAIL Shanny, big time FAIL!

The Habs don’t need an enforcer. HIO needs an enforcer.

Somebody needs to preemptively bang some sense into those people who run amok here wreaking havoc and intimidating our smaller minded and mentally softer members into trying to make them believe that the Habs need an enforcer because we all know sooner or later somebody is going to deliver a cheap shot and hurt somebody’s feelings.

Nothing worse than seeing somebody’s wounded pride sprawled out in plain view while their logic is writhing around all contorted.

18. RiverviewCanadien says:

I still have no idea how MacArthur was suspended for his hit on Abdelkader, when CLEARLY Abdelkader leaned forward at the last second in his stride for the puck.

IMO Hab fans have every right to be pissed off about this.

• Jordio-oh says:

From a quick view of the MacArthur incident, I would say its because the puck was about 25-30 feet away from Abdelkader at the point of contact.

Without further commenting on the Campoli hit, the MacArthur hit was deserving of a suspension.

• RiverviewCanadien says:

Where have we seen that one before, hmmm something about Pacioretty chasing the puck down…

I did not read anything about it being interference, did Shanahan mention that it was interference or just a hit to the head (on the MacArthur hit)?

I had posted a day or two ago that this decision would be interesting because of the relationship between Yzerman and Shanahan. I can somewhat understand the position Shanahan has taken as it relates to Campoli’s positioning, but he has made prior suspensions where the person receiving the head blow also had put themselves in a vulnerable position.

The optics alone are not good in that this was now the hit which he would draw a line in the sand saying okay this is the players own fault.

He should of been more than aware of the reaction from the Montreal perspective in light of the Chara incident. He should have been more than aware of the potential conflict of interest considering his relationship with Yzerman.

Yet despite all this he has chosen to not make any suspension. It is hard for me to not view the NHL as having used Preseason to try and scare players into not making these hits. Now that the reg. season is upon us, it is back to Philistine hockey.

The wiz must be thanking his lucky stars he wasn’t wearing a Hab uniform when he made his hit, or he may have had the first 82 games suspension from Shanahan.

20. sane hockey fan says:

From reading a lot of the comments it’s clear a vast majority of posters have never played hockey or are so biased towards that habs that they are incapable of coming to a conclusion based on facts and reason.

• Kooch7800 says:

I have played all of my life and still play. What does that have to do with Malone’s cheap shot? It was a cheap hit and a clear head shot

• HabFarmer says:

So the fact that you play hockey makes you “sane”? I’ve played for more that 40 years and while my wife might argue the “sane” part, I do know a fair bit about hockey.

I keep hearing this whole, “you gotta play to understand”, argument, which is about as bogus as the whole “warrior’s creed” argument. Which I believe is most often put forward by guys whose biggest daily battles come in the form of lighting the barbecue, or bending over to tie their shoe laces in the morning.

“No, I see. The monkey’s out of the bottle now!”

21. durocher says:

JT’s apparent theory — that Shanny’s suspensions will level the playing field for softer teams and will relieve the Habs of the need for a tough guy — is out the window if Malone escapes supplementary discipline.

22. durocher says:

A complete joke if Malone is not suspended. I thought Shanny was being tough on headshots and dangerous plays. If he does not suspend Malone, he will have already lost his credibility and destroyed the consistency of his punishments. Even Elliott Friedman, a reasonable guy, was saying Malone’s hit was worthy of at least 5+ games. To go from 5+ to nothing is absurd.

Shanny seemed to have started something respectable and beneficial for the game. But before the season has started, he has diminished his own standing, made suspendable conduct less predictable, and failed to fully protect the players.

I hope for Shanny’s sake and the league’s, that these early reports are wrong and that Malone will sit.

23. LL says:

Any way it is spun, Malone deserved the suspension.

I’m just happy Campoli seems to have survived this.

Given the recent news, I am compelled to ask if Mr. Arthyukhin has signed a KHL contract this year?

• kempie says:

How long before it becomes undeniable to even level-headed folks that the NHL expects us to keep a 300lb lunatic chained up on our 4th line to look after this stuff. Like somebody said this morning, next game with TB, I’d be sure and dress 74 and instruct him to take the governor off and go “Full Yemelin” .

Your description of a 300lb lunatic chained up is hilarious, especially because that is what may be neccessary.

• Kooch7800 says:

lol sad but true. On Yemelin, I have yet to see him make a big hit.
        I keep hearing about it but I have yet to see him be physical.

• kempie says:

So far this year, I’ve seen him lay it on Pacioretty, Shultz and, sadly, someone else on his own team in video from Brossard. I think he was told to calm down a bit on his own guys and, since then, he’s been pretty tame. When he does decide to throw it around, he’s pretty convincing. He also likes to go low. Like knee low.

Shanahan will now be remembered not only by blowing Team Canada Olympics chance on that pathetic attempt at a penalty shot, but also as Colin Campbell’s clone. Oh well… at least he is as good a phony as any.

26. Just imagine Carey Price getting knockout as a result of his head hitting the goal post and is lost for the entire year as a result of a severe concussion. The end result Shanny would say is the goal post was the main contact of impact to this concussion and therefore no suspension.

27. Propwash says:

Clearly nothing has changed.

28. kempie says:

Groundhog day.

29. Habs_4_ever says:

I hope that PG and Mr. Molson speak out on this and not just bend over and take it.

————————
    “That’s the save of the year and it’s not even the year yet!”

• el heffe says:

I would bet the farm they bend right over and take it. Much like the entire team will the next time we face Tampa and Malone skates into a corner. Not a scratch.

Charge it to the Underhill’s.

30. LL says:

It’s time for “The Equalizer”.

31. 123456 says:

yea it was a clean hit – you do have to control your stick or else you are faced with a double minor if you hit a guy in the head with said stick – your elbows you do not have to control.

shanny said it was not a full body check – so was it then an intent to hit elbow to shoulder? i guess that’s an OK hit.

give new meaning to the phrase – but officer his face hit my fist

32. habaddict_andy says:

“There are elements about the hit that we don’t like – specifically, the principal point of contact being the head and that it was not a full-body check. But the overriding factor in our judgment was that Campoli’s loss of the puck and subsequent bending forward for it just prior contributed significantly, if not entirely, to those elements.”

This does not explain why Malone, just before the contact, followed through the check even lifting his shoulders to give a check even though Campoli was clearly in an awkward position.

————————————————–
    Go! Hockey! Go!

33. joeybarrie says:

I don’t really see any problem with this decision from Shanny. Seems like a logical outcome for this particular hit. Campoli did lean in. I watched it when it happened, but not since then, so I may be wrong. But he has no prior incident. Sometimes, its just unlucky…
    There is no conspiracy against the Habs. There is no agenda. We are not Manchester United, we just think we are… So get over that. Its not against us personally. That makes no sense. Nothing that Shanny has done so far has made me think he is anything but good for this position. Just glad he is ok, and we are set to start in 3 days….. FINALLY.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

• DearyLeary says:

So because he leaned in he deserved to be elbowed in the head? Don’t buy it, hombre.

• thats not what he, or shannahan said

yes i think malone should have gotten suspended, but suspensions are based on intent, and a case could be made that the head shot was not the desired outcome

not that i agree with the conclusions

• habaddict_andy says:

Not true, they can also suspend due to recklessness.

——————————————————————–
          Go! Hockey! Go!

• sure, but the head shot, consistency suspensions of late is a new project for the league, BS call no doubt, but it is what it is

• habaddict_andy says:

Let’s hope this does not become consistent when it comes to Habs and their players getting head shots. Same thing happened to Jeff Halpern and now Campoli. In the case of Halpern, the it was clearly an intent to hurt nothing was done during playoffs.

——————————————————————–
            Go! Hockey! Go!

• avatar_58 says:

They suspended that smith guy and said there was no intent. So riddle me that

• shiram says:

Have to look at the way Malone played the whole game also, he was basically looking for trouble all game long.

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

• el heffe says:

So when Ovechkin takes an AHL callups headoff with an elbow and recieves 0 games will you still think Shanny is good for this position. If you’re a sherrif be a sherrif everyday not only when its convenient.

Charge it to the Underhill’s.

34. FLAHABFAN says:

From Eklund and his 30 crazy thoughts for this upcoming season.
    “Montreal: Carey Price will finally get the recognition and win the Hart Trophy and the Habs offense will be “better” bolstered by a breakout season from by Max Pacioretty. PK Subban will also start to draw attention for the Norris and the NHL will finally get behind the guy as one of the most intriguing and interesting stars the league has ever seen. PK is the best interview in the game today. Hands down.”

Please god, let this come true.

35. shiram says:

Official now.
    Lotsa spin on that one, as it was so difficult…

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

weird he makes no mention of how long he tossed and turned with this decision before going over to Kypreos house for drinks to discuss further.

• shiram says:

If they are truly trying to protect players, and completely remove hit to the heads, they need to forget about grey zones, and just make the calls and punishment when a head is hit.
        Why is any high stick called, and not every hit to head??

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

• avatar_58 says:

….so intent still matters? What? So what about the Smith hit??

I’m lost. Completely lost. Either intent matters or it doesn’t.

• Habs_4_ever says:

Maybe they should have suspended Campoli for hitting Malone’s elbow with his head. What a f-ing joke.

————————
      “That’s the save of the year and it’s not even the year yet!”

36. Ghosts of the Forum says:

No suspension, it’s official

37. adamkennelly says:

25 out of the 30 teams in the league take it upon themselves to dress players with real toughness…out of the 5 who don’t none of them have skilled players as “small” as ours. I would prefer if our Habs team had some guys who would have addressed the Ryan Malone issue before it turned into something. Its pretty easy – you tell Stamkos to get his boy Malone under control or you’ll be delivering your message through him…happens all the time…in the NHL today fighting, intimidation and toughness are still allowed and used or do you all forget who won the Cup….only end of intimidation we Habs fans get is the receiving end and its getting old….ohh I’m sorry – teams are intimidated by our PP…give me a freaking break…

• TOEmastro says:

One of the cleanest teams in the league with no goons, The Red Wings, have been consistently contenders in the NHL in the last 20 years. 25/30 have goons, but all 5 of those without are consistently in the playoffs. What does that say about your point?

Olé, olé, olé oleé

• Jordio-oh says:

I’m curious as to how you define “dress players with real toughness”. Is there some kind of numerical criteria with which you based it on or just your personal opinion with regards to toughness? (honest question)

Also, intimidation and toughness are absolutely still allowed and used (sometimes very effectively) but do you believe that Stamkos will pull aside Malone on the bench and tell him to take it easy because Stamkos himself doesn’t want to be subjected to any auxiliary contact?

• Washington Capitals – no enforcer
      Buffalo Sabres – no enforcer
      Vancouver Canucks – no enforcer
      Montreal Canadiens – no enforcer
      Tampa Bay Lightning – no enforcer
      San Jose Sharks – no enforcer
      Detroit Red Wings – no enforcer
      Phoenix Coyotes – no enforcer
      Florida Panthers – no enforcer
      Carolina Hurricanes – no enforcer

I’m not sure where you got the number 5 from. Unless of course you’re saying that 5 teams employ rosters of 23 players with ZERO toughness and your assertion is that Montreal is one of those teams. In that case not only is your point wrong, it’s patently absurd.

Moen, White, Yemelin, Subban, Kostitsyn, Darche, Pacioretty and Cole all qualify as physically punishing players.

• HardHabits says:

Remember Andrew. Repeat after me.

Size and Grit = Enforcer
        A player that is physically imposing = Enforcer

• Repeat after me, HH:

“I will stop moving goalposts and building strawmen. This way my arguments will actually make sense for once.”

Now say that about 400 times, put it on a post-it note on your computer screen, tattoo it on the back of both of your hands, then try again.

• HardHabits says:

Andrew. Your arguments are the straw men. Once you say the word enforcer or goon you lose because nobody here, except for a few, want an enforcer or a goon.

You also make me laugh because you are so convinced that you are right that you routinely dismiss the argument that the Habs need to toughen up by simply claiming it is part of a fictional narrative.

You’re a pompous know-it-all not unlike most 16 year old teenagers who argue with their parents.

The day that you see things clearer than I do is the day that I meet my final resting place.

Which begs the question; If everybody at HIO jumped off a cliff would you?

• You should really either read to the end of a comment, or stop projecting. Honestly it’s a little sad how easily your feelings get hurt when your opinions are challenged.

When I attack a position, I like to do this little thing called research, so I know what I’m talking about. Usually it leads better results than strawmen, like the constant “you’ve never played hockey” or “you want the league to have no hitting” crap.

Here’s the difference between you and me, HH. You’re obsessed with being “right” but don’t put the work in to support your opinions aside from cliches and anecdotes, and I just want the team to win. The research shows that fighting doesn’t matter, doesn’t prevent injuries, doesn’t prevent cheapshots. And as much as you’d like to change your opinion NOW and say you don’t want a fighter, because that’s the convenient goalpost move, you’ve been begging for Konopka since March.

But if you really don’t want a fighter anymore, how about you actually answer for once when someone asks you WHO exactly should be acquired and for what cost? And no, the vague “Habs need to acquire 2-3 tough players who can play” thing doesn’t work. It’s pathetic. Do you actually have any real ideas, or are you just a contrarian looking for attention until your hand gets slapped and then you get personal?

• HardHabits says:

You’re still a pompous ass. And like I said before you have about 20-30 years of hockey watching to do before you become as lucid about the game as I am.

To be honest Andrew I don’t know where the players would come from. I suggested the Habs need to stop finishing middle of the pack all the time and start picking from the cream of the crop for a change but apparently the Habs don’t tank.

We can look at players other teams signed over the off season, take for example Chicago.

It doesn’t change that the Habs are perceived as a soft team league wide by the players, the sports commentators and the fans.

But you can continue with your so called research, which in your case means listening to what your twitter buddies tell you, and tell us all how “that’s the way championship teams are built.”

Were you even able to poop on your own when the Habs last won the Cup?

• “or are you just a contrarian looking for attention until your hand gets slapped and then you get personal?”

Yup, called it.

• The Dude says:

Andy ,you could do research on this for your own lifetime but on this you will never be able to bend and meld it so your right. At this point and time you sound like the Cop who got exposed by an Iphone .

• the dude chimes in, everyone is confused as a result…. ennnnnd scene

• HardHabits says:

Look AB. I know you like to think that you virtually slap my hand and I am sure that TomNickle and PrimeTime are cheering you on but you are very delusional.

If I say the Habs need to toughen up you say they don’t need a goon. Then when I say nobody said goon you reply that I am moving the goal posts.

I’ve been following the Habs since before you were born and to this day I do not like seeing my team getting it’s ass handed to them. So even in view of all your intellectual pretensions you are still a neophyte and a boy amongst men.

The funny thing is that I write a lot of points here and you never ever dare reply to my more though out or well versed comments because you would rather not need to appear wrong in front of your two fans here. The fact is Andrew you’re a coward.

• adamkennelly says:

MTL has zero players that opponents are worried about – ZERO….that is the point I was making…and its the truth..and don’t try to tell me that Kostitsyn, Darche, Pacioretty and Cole keep our opponents awake at night…you want patently absurd – how bout putting Darche into the physically punishing category…hahahahaha….good one..

DJ King, Matt Hendricks, Ovechkin, Gaustad, Kaeletta, McCormick, Bisonette, Clowe, Murray, Winchester and I’m too lazy to look up others all play for teams you listed…

P.S. go look at the size of the skilled players on some of the teams you listed as well….

• Bisonnette, you’re right about, I missed him. But the rest of those either a) are not fighters or b) not roster players.

You need to differentiate between fighting and physicality. Darche is actually a very effective forechecker and lays a lot of punishment on opposing defensemen. It’s a major reason he’s in the league.

re: size of skilled players, let’s look at Buffalo then? Roy – 5’9, Ennis – 5’9, Gerbe – 5’5, Pominville – 6’0 and soft as butter, Boyes – 6’0 and soft, Leino and Hecht are 6’1 and soft. Is this a joke?

• city center says:

This is wrong. Erskine on DC. Gaustad on Buff for a bunch of years, SJ has dressed a big mean team for as long as I can remember (see their games against the Ducks), etc. The teams you mention regularly dress guys to help police the opposition and play the game. Don’t think the Habs had any one capable of doing both last game although I respect Gorges for stepping up.

I remember a game a few years ago against Dal where Ott was running around a la Malone. He ultimately went after the Captain. Stewart nailed him down to the ice and Ott was a non-factor the rest of the game. Habs need a guy who can hold his own and play. They’re out there and I think a couple more would complement the smaller talented forwards and mobile D the Habs have. Never understood getting rid of Mara. Guy could skate and stick up for his mates with some muscle. Seems to me we need two more of those guys–one as the 5th or 6th D and one to add to the 3rd line or the Moen/White line.

38. Do anybody know when Shanny is going before the microphone to discuss Malone’s non suspension? Can’t wait for the hearing on this one.

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

No video as of yet, but an explanation in the article on nhl.com I posted above.

They felt Campoli moved his head in line of the check after Malone had committed.

39. JD_ says:

For the record – and direct from the horse’s mouth – Shanny didn’t accept a $1M premium to play in Montreal because his wife wanted to pursue her modelin’ career in NYC.

Happy wife, happy life.

All that aside, conspiracy rants are so utterly disappointin’.

Not as disappointin’ as Shanny allegedly – it remains to be confirmed – dentin’ the positive disciplinarian mo’ he so easily built right out of the gate, but disappointin’ just the same.

40. Habs_4_ever says:

I did not see any mention of a decision on the Malone case on the NHL web site. How official is this anounsment?

————————
    “That’s the save of the year and it’s not even the year yet!”

41. TOEmastro says:

Everyone is taking this thing as gospel. Since when is Kypreos any more credible than an e5? It’s not even on the Sportsnet website yet.
    Olé, olé, olé oleé

42. BONZOHABS says:

There should have been a suspension on this hit. It was contact to the head. Campoli had his head up until the player behind him lifted his stick. Campoli then focused his eyes on the puck for a split second and Malone was there to “crush” him. Malone didn’t have to “crush” him, and Campoli was in a vulnerable position, despite how fast it all happened. It was Malone’s resonsibilty to “minimize” contact. Why can’t players just play how the rules say; a body check is strategic body contact to strip puck away from the puck handler…not to try and kill him. A simple nudge would have done it. Or poke the puck away..play the puck. There’s other ways to do this play. Vety surprised in Shanny’s ruling.

43. Thomas Le Fan says:

It makes me wonder if a two hander across the back of Malone’s head would be okay. Someone should give it a go.

44. Typical. I guess it’s just part of the game unless the player is actually hurt. Message to players, “If you run around like a man possessed, looking to tangle with someone, just don’t hurt anyone enough to leave the game and you’ll be fine.”

Let’s see, now. Number of controversial hits to Canadiens players in the last several months of regular and pre-season play: Two. Number of suspensions for said hits: Zero.

I’ll hold my judgement until a third occurrence before I put on the tinfoil helmet and yell “Conspiracy!” But, this is looking a bit suspicious all the same.

DDonais

• Aybara says:

Ference on Halpern… There’s your third

• HabsFanInOttawa says:

IMO the Ference hit is the most indefensible one of all. It was clearly a pre-meditated lunge directly at Halpern’s head, and was well away from the play. I still have no idea how that wasn’t a 5 minute penalty, game misconduct, and a solid 3-5 game suspension.

With the other two, one (not me, mind you) could at least argue that they happened too fast for the player to stop his check, and that the result was somewhat unintentional.

• HABSGUARDIANANGEL says:

pacioretty trumps all, its in a category all by itself. No suspension for that hit was a very good reason alone for the NHL to shake up the entire commitee.

45. HABSGUARDIANANGEL says:

Did I miss something? NOT suspened? The dude was skating around just looking for it all game, and I see players and refs keep repeating to him :Its preseason: . This dude clearly then made they type of hit we want out of the game, and he gets nothing? Is the league got a problem with the CH? I dont get it? I think it merits at least a game, just to tell malone to stop acting like an ass, especially during theese friendlies, on neutral ground.

If Campoli last name said crosby on his back, we all know whats gonna happen, I’m disapointed with brendan, guess his initals hold true.. B.S!

46. V says:

Looks like Malone is un-suspended. Not sure why Shanahan passed on him.

One theory that no one has put forward but is certainly plausible, is that his decision has given him and a group of friends the chance to grab a few cases of beer, log on to this discussion and laugh their heads off.

Wild, unfounded conspiracy theories galore. Paranoia. It’s great.

If we only had a big 240 lb. tough guy, we could send him over to New York to pummel Shanahan.

• HABSGUARDIANANGEL says:

Shanahan was offered more money more then once to play in montreal, and refused. Clearly he dosnt like our direction, and thats not a good thing when he replaces the job left over by the last dark sith lord colin campbell. lol

• Danno says:

As mentioned below, what we need is the petit gars – the Shanahan Strangler

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

47. Bripro says:

I’m wondering. Maybe someone can offer me an unbiased perspective on this.
    I googled the “new NHL safety committee” to find that two of the four members, appointed by our pal Buttman, are managers of a club.
    I hadn’t put it together, but indeed…Yzerman (Tampa) and Nieuwendyk (Dallas).
    In the world of commerce, wouldn’t this be considered as a conflict of interest?
    I’ll be feeling conflicted myself, if biased rulings start to be handed down.

For what it is worth, I heard Kypreos discussing this, it is Shanahan, Rob Blake and some suit that has been at NHL head office for a long time that actually sit down and assess suspensions. Just the same way last year it was Colin Campbell, Mike Murphy and 1 other fellow.

Yzerman/Nieuwendyk are on a safety committee, but are not involved in day to day suspensions etc… (Clearly it is obvious the NHL would never let it get itself into a contradictory position)

So the Leafs are pairing their rookie Dman Gardner with Komo to start the season. Our 3rd line needs to take advantage of that pairing on Thursday.

Crosby to start season on Injured Reserve list, min. 1 week missed.

49. G-Man says:

Is Shanahan another disciplinarian that divides Days Suspended by Stanley Cup Wins?
    It sure appears to be the same old shit when it comes to Montreal Canadiens players. Break them into pieces? No problem! They play for the Habs.
    Shanahan messes up the bed big time after giving a few around here hope that it is no longer business as usual. Guess what? La plus ça change…

So we know the process for Shanahan when he suspends someone. He crawls into his dingy basement, takes out the DVD collection showing him and Stevie Y skating around Joe Louis with the Cup in their hands and starts making new videos showing the bad people doing bad things.

How does the process work when he decides not to suspend a player. Does he just call Nick Kypreos and say hey you mind tweetin that Malone is a good guy. Also, don’t bring up the fact his boss is Stevie. Thanks Nick, Yiamas!

51. Mattyleg says:

Tee hee hee!!
    Thank Gawd for Ryan Malone!
    I was afraid that righteous indignation (read: chest-thumping jungle noises) had disappeared from HI/O after the Max incident went stale and had to be quietly scraped into the bin for the cat.

Couple of thoughts on recent posts here:

– I love the comments saying that Shanahan is doing Stevie Y a favour by not suspending his player at the beginning of the season. a) like that would matter at this time of year; b) any former hockey player will have the potential for conspiracy-theorist (no, if you fold the dollar bill this way, it’s clear that the twin towers were the target! Look at the skull!) conflicts of interest because of their link to the game. We got Gary Bettman, who had NO link to hockey, and STILL DOESN’T!

– Enforcers don’t stop headshots. Larger ice-surfaces do.

– Shanahan ins’t blind, and nothing is as glaringly obvious as fans of a seemingly vicimized team will have it seem.

– Waving the “MY TEAM IS CONSTANTLY BEING VICTIMIZED” flag does nothing other than attract the scorn of the rest of the teams in the league and tempt them to test the theory. Let it go.

– Long posts are never read all the way th…. ech, why finish? You stopped reading a long, long time ago…

—Hope Springs Eternal—

52. Captain aHab says:

Interesting how most media are reporting this as a fact when the league’s site says nothing about it still.

53. LTHF says:

I was convinced that this year the head hits would be dealt with severely by Shannan, I guess only reason he can give in the non suspension of malone is the his buddy stevie Y is the GM of tampa.. and of course it was a montreal player, if the situation was reversed it would be 3-5 games suspension.

54. If this to be true? I wonder why Clarke MacArther got 2 games suspension for? It was a Red Wing of course!!! Now Stevie Y gets a free pass from Shanny and Co. Sheesh!!

I wonder WHAT loud mouth Burke is thinking now? I think its time for Laffs Fans and Habs Fans to show displeasure by getting on the public airway. This game is starting to lose respect and teams in Canada are getting the STIFFED everytime there is a non call. Enough said.

Haha. Nice to see all the writhing of the contortionists today. The price of a Habs victory will often if not always be an injured or beat up player until:

a) the league stops the bias against the Habs

b) the Habs stop hoping the league stops its bias against them and compliments its skilled and speedy forwards with gritty and nasty players to compensate.

Every Habs championship team had speedy skilled forwards. Every championship Habs team had a few sluggers/heavy weights/players that could drop them and win a few fights and not just be a punching bag for the opponent on board to act as a counter balance.

Habs have the skill. Now they need to start thinking size and toughness. Not one goon. Not one enforcer. But 2-3 heavyweights, not Ryan White or Moen who are middleweights, but real bonafide impact players. Tinordi will not be enough. Tinordi is a good piece to add but he alone does not complete the puzzle.

I know it’s hard for those who think fighting in hockey goes back to Roman Gladiatorial times but as long as opponents skate players like Malone and Chara the Habs would be better served to skate deterrents in the form of a few major league ass kickers.

So would tanking generate the proper draft picks to find such players? :)

• shiram says:

But deterrence does not work.

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

• The Dude says:

Like I said before ….Only when Carey Price gets injured will this Dalai Lama hockey theory come too an end in Montreal…..then they will want payback! But it will be too late!

• G-Man says:

How can you enjoy the shit Shanahan just left on Gauthier’s desk?
      Same old shitty league, same old 19th century ideas.

• HardHabits says:

I don’t enjoy it. It should be obvious that people like MJ and myself would hope that the rules if enforced properly would curtail the rampant head shots and their ill effects but realistically neither of us expects that to happen over night.

In the meantime in order to succeed in the NHL teams need many elements. One of them happens to be team toughness. For too long the Habs have been the opposite.

No one here will suggest that the Habs lack character and heart. Nobody would suggest that they are physically intimidating either.

I’d like the Habs to have a nice two prong assault. Be speedy and skilled enough to do damage on the score board and be tough enough to push back opponents when they try to physically impose their will on them, especially when said attempts turn to areas of intimidation and/or violence.

56. bleedhabs81 says:

I just read the globe and mail article and had to laugh. Under the Mon vs Tor. game to watch section they posed the question of whether the Laffs will continue to be a mediocore team or if this is the year they get back to the playoffs.

The reason I laugh is:
    Doesn’t missing the playoffs mean you are not a mediocore team, but a bad team?

I thought mediocore teams were the perrennial 6-8th place finishes… like the Habs? no?

57. axman88 says:

Can’t wait to hear Shanahan’s reasoning! :-p

58. The Dude says:

And for the “One man can’t help” camp….Malone, all by himself beat up the Montreal Canadiens all night and even scored a goal”good goal disallowed”. One man!

• Tony McLean says:

Gandhi Gauthier and Mohandas Martin.
      ———————–
      “The point is that Fergie wasn’t, and didn’t have to be, a non stop brawler. His hard earned reputation preceded him, and he could keep the opposition in line without spending all night in the penalty box.” – Jean Beliveau

So is HIO reporting Kypreos’ tweet as a fact?

60. --Habs-- says:

Here we go, back to the status quo! The good ole boys club! The consistency of the NHL inconsistency! This league will never grow up. And what is the common factor! Shanny and Stevy boy. I guess this means the Lightening will win the CUP! It took 2 weeks for me to loose respect for Shanny in his new position. And this isn’t a Habs issue! This is a league that cannot get it right! I’ll tell you what the problem is with the NHL. Too many good old boys running and making decisions. They need an outside body to call this stuff. Folks with nothing to gain or loose by suspending somebody. You know what! You know what it will take! Sid coming back and getting creamed again and loosing his career. I can see this now when he puts on a video. Campoli was stretching and put himself in a vulnerable position and the game is too fast! That doesn’t take away the fact that Malone made absolutely no attempt to stop, turn or otherwise. Matter of fact he dropped to hit the head! What a joke HA HA HA HA HA! I hate to say it but my friends “hockey players” it will take one of you dying on the ice in front of 18 000 people for the NHL to get it right!

• Captain aHab says:

If a player died, the league would set up a committee whose work would last for a year and then conclude some time in July or between Christmas and New Year’s, once the rage has died down, that there is really nothing wrong with the game and that there is no need for any changes. I think you’ll need a couple of guys dying in bunches or a second guy dying just before the committee is supposed to publish its report, for the league to take notice.

61. Neutral says:

campoli’s head was close to malone’s waist line when they made contact. he had a head of steam up coming out of the zone and campoli nailed him. I don’t see where malone put his elbow into campoli’s head on purpose, it looks like when they made contact campoli had his head down and it was lined up with malone’s elbow. malone is 6’4′ it was a hard hit because of his height malones elbow was up over campoli’s shoulder and got him in the head. it’s a hard call for shanny I’m not sticking up for malone, he’s known around the league as well as a few others to be a dirty B—ard. we’ll leave it to shanny everyone will have different opinions.

• Chuck says:

Malone came off of his feet when he delivered the hit. The contact wasn’t incidental.

• Tony McLean says:

The majority, sensible people, will agree that it was suspendable and that the NHL (Shanahan this time) screwed up again. It was an easy call, an obvious suspension.
      —————————

• --Habs-- says:

Malone said it himself he thought he’d get a suspension! Its not the fact that the hit took place more than Malone not making any attempt what so ever to avoid the hit. If that was his player to drop or lean instead of Campoli right next to Campoli do you think Malone would have not try to turn, stop or other!

62. wall2bay says:

Who was Shanny’s centre when he was potting all those goals with the Wings?

“I kind of feel sorry for players who never got a chance to be a Montreal Canadien” – Cammalleri

63. VintageFan says:

Is anyone really surprised? The pre-season is one thing, the regular season is another. And Shanacampbelll knows it.

• chrisincalgary says:

only one way around this… does Shannahan have a son??? PG needs to go and sign him for whatever he wants… then we can get some free passes!!!!

64. The Dude says:

IPhone typing time….well I knew we were not going to see MAlone get timeout cause hey he did this to the HAbs.This team has never been liked and is considered effeminate and whiny and every thing French and that’s why we got to toughen up cause we on our own and NoOne’s going to step in and help!Why do you think Shanny didn’t sign here ,Gainey offered him the moon!
    So here’s what’s got to happen….the HAbs got to rid themselve’s of chippy players!Guy’s like Subban,PLecs,AK,White will only make matters worse by pissing off the opposition and leaving this all for Moen to handle is overwhelming to say the least.YEs sir if you want too play fair, then play fair and leed by example…..that always works ,lol!
    If some of you don’t get it by now ….WOW!

65. tbovs says:

NO SUSPENSION!!!>???? As the miz would say…”Really?!!?”

I was a fencer on the need for a tough guy or at least a grinder with some sandpaper…can’t we just go to Canadian Tire for that stuff???

I now believe a player who is like 205+ and has hands like a carcilo or even aron asham(former hab) would be a good asset. I thought for sure that carcilo might be a free agent pick up for us but alas no movement.

I think it can help us now…I just looked at the fighting stats for last year compared to 1974…dave schultz led the league that year with 25 fights and he was the only one over 20. Last year Parros led the leage with 28 and there were 3 guys over 20. I guess you’ll have more with more teams but if you break it down per team …. fighting majors have gone up a smidge. So it is still relevant and teams need to address it. Although…Detroit and Nashville have the least amount of majors and they can still play well.

So it maybe a good mandate for PG to look for a player with some pugilistic skills.

66. JasonM says:

Not going to really give my opinion until it is said and done but how the hell does Kypreos get this info? And if this is legitimate, can we not have this info leaked to the media before the decision is done?

It’s inane that some analyst scrub could get his hands on this information.

67. joe-hab-nuno says:

Dumbest excuse used based on suspending a player. ” well he has never been suspended before so …. blah blah blah.

He’s never been suspended before because you never suspended him before.

It’s like going out for a job after you finish school and they’re looking for experience.

Kypreos says rob blake and some other guy (can’t remember name) make the decisions with Shanny. Got the impression he knows no suspension factually. Hope he is wrong but can’t inmagine being stupid enough to base this on speculation, leak somewhere.

• Bripro says:

The other guy is Joe Nieuwendyk. They are part of a newly created disciplinary committee with (are you ready for this?) Steve Yzerman.
      So what can we expect in terms of unbiased perspective from this committee?
      I would say it’ll depend of who the Habs are playing.
      They’ll be SOL if it’s Tampa, Detroit, Rangers, L.A., Colorado or San Hose.

69. joe-hab-nuno says:

Rds is the only one reporting no suspension, unless I read wrong. Tsn and sportsnet, not a story yet.

70. avatar_58 says:

I think we’re all missing the REAL issue here – why is a suspendible hit happening every second game? I mean what in the hell is wrong with these players? How many more suspensions are going to happen before they get it through their thick skulls?

Just heard Kypreos on fan590 and he is adamant no suspension to malone or edler.

@nick, last I checked RDS advertises as a quebec sports station, TSN advertises to be a national sports station. All Argo all leaf all the time.

72. VancouverHab says:

BREAKING NEWS!!

In a shocking development, Jack Todd’s latest column rags by rote on Scott Gomez, and attempts to place the success or failure of the team entirely on his shoulders.

In other news, Don Cherry praises Canada, and uses the phrase “you kids out there.”

73. JD_ says:

Sounds like Campoli is ok. Good to hear.

If, – if, damnit! – however, the rumours regardin’ no suspension for Malone are accurate, I stand very much corrected: Apparently, it isn’t way too early for the ditherin’ and triangulatin’ to get underway.

This was another slam dunk opportunity to instill an environment of zero tolerance for headshots – i.e., headshot = suspension, regardless of contributin’ factors – and, apparently, some line is bein’ drawn in the ether.

Like an eye floater, this ethereal line moves out of sight the moment you try to look directly at it.

You know when you’re watchin’ a Habs game, and the team bursts out of the gate all intense ‘n’ shizzy, and you’re like, “Keep goin’, baby!”, and the other team is on its heels, and then things suddenly come full circle and the ice tilts the other way, and you’re like, “WTF? Fire JM!” ?

Yeah. That’s how I feel. It’s all about the ‘mo. Hate to see the mo’ stifled. Canada-Russia, “gorillas out of a cage” this ain’t.

Of course, if it turns out the rumours are unfounded and Malone gets suspended, well, to quote the untouchable Gilda Radner’s Emily Litella, “Never mind.”

Like I said some time back, it is only a matter of time before Shanny is picked up by the cops at 3am in some local park, staggerin’ around in a tattered housecoat, hopped up on goofballs, and smashin’ piles of incident review DVDs.

Breakin’ news: If the Habs are goin’ to score more goals this season, they are goin’ to have to score more goals.

Seriously, lift a bloody finger, man.

The Nobel Prize in Physics will be handed out tomorrow. My sources tell me the Chara household is on the edge of their seats.

I can’t fast-forward, well, fast enough through the endless goon/no-goon/team toughness/skilled tough guys/no-skill tough guys/benchwarmer/pacifist/warmonger discussion. Not nearly fast enough. There are so many straw men on each side of the debate that if someone around here were to strike a match, the entire place would be levelled faster than Campoli on Saturday night.

The goalposts at Candlestick Park didn’t even move this much durin’ the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake.

Peace in our time.

• MJ says:

“Can’t we all just agree that every single team in the NHL covets big, tough guys who can make plays, occasionally put the puck in the net, and smack people around, that some teams have successfully amassed more of these prized assets than others, and that this has pretty much been the case since the first puck was dropped in the mid-12th century, give or take a year or two?”. We can agree on that.

But what we can’t agree on is the part were these players “smack people around”. See, some believe that no matter what it shouldn’t happen and we’d be better served watching our players getting leveled.

Now answer this: where was PG when big tough guys that can play and smack people around were available either via free agency or trade? Reality and history (as I have proved through examples a few times in this thread today) have shown that such players are far from impossible to acquire.

• JD_ says:

“See, some believe…we’d be better served watching our players getting leveled.”

You’ll forgive the editin’ for clarity.

How is this an improvement on the level of debate?

• Jordio-oh says:

Who should PG have acquired?

If by free agency, how much and for how long?

If by trade, for which player?

I’m so curious by people who want to just bring players in but provide little in the way of the details (ie. salary cap, how they will fit into the line up, etc).

Someone mentioned Anthony Stewart earlier. Mathieu Darche had as many hits per game as Anthony Stewart did (not to mention Moen and AK46). And Stewart only fought twice last year.

Someone else mentioned Jarred Boll and Cam Janssen which was laughable to me considering neither player even averaged 8 minutes a game.

Oh and there’s the little detail of players actually wanting to play here. Just because we’d love to have some players doesn’t mean they’re willing to come. There is alot of work to be done getting players here and i think some posters might forget that its not Nhl 12 for PS3.

• MJ, who was recently available that fits your profile? Should Montreal have given up Leblanc and Gorges for Horton? Because that’s about what Boston gave up.

• RGM says:

Bingo. We are now in a phase where headshots are unacceptable except for those situations in which they are acceptable. What stuns me is that the defence for the “don’t suspend Malone” camp is that Campoli moved his head into the vulnerable position so that Malone had no other choice but to hit him right there with his elbow. Where have we heard this story before?

“I’m battling for position and as the puck went by I was riding him out and it’s very unfortunate that at the same time I push him a little bit he leaned over and jumped a little bit and just hit the glass extension, so it’s very unfortunate.”

Yeah, so I guess all you have to say when drilling a Habs player with an illegal check to the head is that they lean or jump into it, since they’re, y’know, divers and all.

———————–
      GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is our year!

74. DEANDALLEY says:

GOONING it up certainly worked for the Broons last season didn’t it!

The Habs can stay classy by winning games. They can get the last laugh that way!