Canadiens hit the links

The team’s annual golf tournament takes place today at the ritzy Laval-sur-le-Lac club.

Patrick V. Hickey and David Stubbs (pictured at left in a training session) will be there.

Hick will bring his sticks and play 12 holes.

Stubbs will bring his Edirol recorder and file audio later today.

• Hickey on Ian Schultz and Aaron Palushaj

• François Gagnon says Brian Gionta will wear the C

Red rails against the shootout, urges kids to get off his lawn

• Pauline Marois sees the Canadiens as federalist symbol.

Yves Boisvert responds to Réjean Tremblay. This is getting good.

• What a mess! Did the Caps screw Éric Belanger? Washington’s side of the story

mcFz-t__sJQ

1. madcap_habsfan says:

i’m watching  an interview with our next capitain, gionta and mr. stubbs is right behind him soak in it all in. I know it’s random but that’s it.

-”People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” Chuck Palahniuk

2. christophurrr says:

“you take drugs danny?”

“everyday”

“good boy”

amazing comedic timing here. i think it’s the funniest part of the movie because of that.

3. Danno says:

Messrs. Boone, Hickey and Stubbs out on the links.

And this is perhaps one of the greatest moments in cinematic history.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

4. Dr-Watson says:

Boone must have borrowed a pair of pants from Gionta.

5. notbigbird says:

Although he wouldn’t be my choice, I’m not in the room, and I think Gio will probably make a fine captain. He puts it all out there, goes to the net, and doesn’t back down from anyone. He’s a good example for others to follow, and I think he’ll have a lot of cred.

6. CP31 says:

According to Pierre Gauthier’s latest Tweet from a few minutes ago, Brian Gionta will be the next HABS captain.

“Brian Gionta has been a positive force both on and off the ice since joining the team. This is a proud time for him and the organization”

“SAKU, SAKU, SAKU, SAKU, SAKU, SAKU, SAKU, SAKU”

7. Psycho29 says:

Nice picture of Boone and Stubbs getting ready to golf!

8. nightmare_49 says:

James Mirtle …  A few tidbits on how the Michael Nylander situation with the Caps and Oilers relates to the Eric Belanger dispute

9. derfab says:

Gotta love Boisvert’s “sodomie fiscale” response to Tremblay.

He’s right about the fact that a new rink in Quebec has limited relevance outside of hockey and that it can’t be more lucrative than what the market now supports.

I also think he’s on to something about the Olympic Games being in big trouble due to absurd, out of control factors like security costs.

10. cunningdave says:

re: shootouts

Fans like them, but the teams don’t want their fates decided by them.  So the NHL should have done the opposite of what they did – they should have shootouts not count in the standings, but count for deciding ties (win total would include shootout wins).  Return to the 2-1-0 system for points, no points for losers.  Mission accomplished.

11. BJ says:

“Hick will bring his sticks and play 12 holes”. Interesting I heard Price would go 5 hole (s).

12. RGM says:

If Gagnon is correct, that is a very good selection for captain. Not my first choice but definitely my second. Let’s see if they announce it today.

—————————————–
    Josh Gorges for Captain!

13. Mike Boone says:

Gagnon wouldn’t write it if it weren’t solid. I think it’s a good choice. My only concern is Markov feeling somehow snubbed.

14. habsfansince91 says:

well they could’ve offered it to him and he rejected it.

15. RGM says:

Absolutely. I see that RDS is now running it too with a very definitive headline. Not “Source: ….” but simply “Voici Votre Capitaine” as the main news item. Good for Gio – not since Saku has such a small man packed so much heart into the CH.

—————————————– Josh Gorges for Captain!

16. SeriousFan09 says:

Depends if he declined it behind closed doors. Markov seems too much of a professional though to have it be a major factor behind why he leaves. Besides, it is getting annoying IMO for teams to give the C to pending UFAs as a pre-signing incentive to try and retain them.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

17. jimmy shaker says:

Belanger or Halpern? with a 150000 thou difference, can we have a mulligan here!

Shaker

Halpern isn’t the issue here, as Darche probably could have been signed to a two way deal.  That would have allowed us to sign Asham for the extra $250000 (over Darche’s salary) which would have come from tougher negotiations with Price.  That move, plus giving SK74 away for nothing (we could have signed Boyd as a UFA), are G&G’s only blips so far this year.

19. The Cat says:

“Canadiens hit the links”

What? Is it April 2011 already? I kid I kid.

20. Dave Stubbs says:

Technically, Laval-sur-le-Lac isn’t a links course at all. From About.Com: Golf:

Definition: Many golfers use “links” and “golf course” interchangeably. But “links” is actually a specific type of golf course.
    A traditional links course will have many – perhaps all – of the following features:
    • The course is built along the seaside;

• The soil is sandy and drains easily;

• The course is laid out naturally, so that unusual bumps and slopes in the fairways and greens remain, rather than being smoothed over;

• The rough features natural seaside grasses;

• Bunkers are numerous, very small and very deep (to keep the seaside breezes from blowing the sand away)

• Fairways are rarely (if ever) watered and play firm and fast;

• Links courses usually have few if any trees;

• The course routes out and back. The No. 1 hole begins at the clubhouse and the front nine plays straight out so that No. 9 is farthest hole from the clubhouse; the direction turns back in at No. 10 and the course ends with No. 18 back at the clubhouse.
    Golf originally developed on the links of Scotland, and many of the most famous golf courses in Britain and Ireland are links courses. For examples, see The Old Course at St. Andrews, Royal Birkdale and Turberry Ailsa.

But technically, I’m not a writer, so what do I know?

Dave Stubbs
    Habs Inside/Out
    Sports Columnist/Feature Writer, Montreal Gazette
    • On Twitter: twitter.com/habsinsideout1

21. Hobie Hansen says:

Gionta will make a great captain inside the dressing room and on the bench. When a scuffle breaks out and he has to prove himself in that regard, well, let’s just hope he’s not on the ice at that time…

Our Habs should just avoid scuffles altogether because if Travis Moen, a light heavyweight at best, is our toughest player, we’ll be in for a long season when it comes to standing up for what’s right.

Sad to see that Montreal is tied with Detroit for the softest team in league. What happened to the days of Chris Nilan, Lyle Odelein, Dave Manson, Shayne Corson and many others?

I enjoyed every minute of last season as I do every season but like I’ve said many times, it sure hurts when teams like the Flyers, Leafs and Bruins laugh in our face when things get heated out there.

22. BJ says:

Agreed Gionta will make an excellent captain. I wouldn’t worry about him having to step into scuffles, its not necessarily a captains job. See Carbonneau, Gainey, Koivu, Savard etc.

But like yourself I am concerned about our toughness. I would have like to see Artyukhin in our lineup.

23. derfab says:

First time I’ve seen Maxwell involved in anything, though I don’t think he earned any respect points. He’s got to sense that he’s Hamilton bound and that the writing is on the wall for a career with the Habs.

PK looks strong.

Gionta seems a good leader but something is not quite right if Markov can’t or won’t Captain this club, and I’d have also picked Gomez ahead of Gionta.

24. sholi2000.com says:

Could be Markov’s personality, I don’t know what he says in the dressing room, but I get the vibe that he sticks to his own.  Only the boys could tell us more, heck I’ll ask him myself when I see him.  :)

They Call Me Shane

25. BJ says:

Gionta is my choice as well. He has a no nonsense energy and I’m sure he’s well respected. Great choice. As Mike Boone points out how will Markov truly react? Will he feel as though he should take is act out of town?

On a unrelated note (hope people don’t mind) I thought this youtube was well worth a view.

Canucks coach Alain Vigneault slams demand for Quebec City arena funding.

27. sholi2000.com says:

I Love it.

They Call Me Shane

28. Harani says:

Two New Mike Cammalleri videos when he was in New York doing promo shoots.

“It must be love!”

29. Hobie Hansen says:

Just finished reading the article on Schultz, hopefully he’s ready to play in the NHL by next season so we have a guy that can crash and bang. Lapierre can hit but cowards away when the going gets tough, as we all know…

30. G-Man says:

Schultz can’t skate against the other rookies. Expecting him to reach the NHL is a looooooong shot.

31. BJ says:

Did you go to the rookie camp? I’d like more detail on how he looked against the others. You seem to indicate that he couldn’t follow the parade. If thats the case I hope we didn’t end up with a throw in for Halak otherwise Eller will have to be great beyond expectations to justify the trade. I still think that if Price doesn’t match Halak’s contribution that Gauthier will be run out of town.

32. Dr-Watson says:

Sorry double post.

33. Dr-Watson says:

He could improve to an adequate level within this next year.

34. Dr-Watson says:

Eller, is the only justification for that trade and he will have to excel to make this trade viable. Schultz, is essentially a non-factor in respect to this because if Eller does not perform to a high level, than Schultz becomes irrelevant. Still playing junior hockey at 20 years of age, as opposed to the AHL, has to be of some concern to the possibility of an NHL career.

35. Dr-Watson says:

You forgot, the less than equal return for Halak and there were only minor improvements to the team, not what was required. The salary cap is a non-issue in respect to this.