Canadiens get ready to face Jaro

Pacioretty
The Canadiens are back at practice in Brossard Monday morning.
Next visitors to the Bell Centre, on Tuesday, are the St. Louis Blues.
You may have heard of their goaltender.

Blues coach Ken Hitchcock has indicated Jaroslav Halak will get the start against the Canadiens.

Speaking of goaltenders …

Dave Stubbs on the great Vladislav Tretiak

• Jack Todd on the language issue

Red Fisher on CBA negotiations

In the room after win over Lightning

Pierre Ladouceur’s mid-season report card

Jean-François Chaumont on the Halak trade

Brendan Gallagher gets seven points

Vigneault tees off on Marchand

Steve Simmons on decline of Canadian goaltending

Kevin Paul Dupont on the late Bruins beat writer Fran Rosa

Sabres not ready to shake things up

1. DorvalTony says:

Todd shows his hackumen by comparing Gallagher to Koivu. Gimme a break, Brendan’s got a lot more guts and finish. Can’t wait to see him return.

——————————–
    “Okay, everybody take a Valium.”

2. DorvalTony says:

Come on Jaro, shutout!

——————————–
    “Okay, everybody take a Valium.”

3. bighabber says:

I don’t get why everyone is so upset about “Le Mouvement Montreal Francais”. I like to think I’m a better person by having ‘un Mouvement Quotidien’. At least I feel much better afterwards. #politcal bullsh!t

4. joeybarrie says:

Funny, Molson Gets a noose around the neck, but we still love Celine Dion. Hasn’t lived in Quebec in how long? A couple of quickie albums after the bigger release of the English ones. Another 3 years in Vegas.
    I guess its ok the the biggest artist to come out of Quebec can do 90 percent everything in English, but oh no. The coach of the Montreal Canadiens has to be French. Not the Captain, not the players, not the owners and not the face of the franchise, BUT THE COACH IS WHERE WE DRAW THE LINE. Seriously go do something actually productive. English is the language of the world. Please stop limiting this team.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

5. Habs gets a much needed win from an unlikely source in Lars Eller who did the Savardie spin o’ramma by backhanding it top shelf bringing the fans to an unbelievable standing ovation.

6. Phil C says:

In the Eric Engels link below posted by JF, he talks about two adjustments by RC that have contributed to the Habs’ recent success:
    1. Playing 11 forwards and doubling shifting your best players;
    2. Playing 7 defensemen, and limiting the exposure of your one-dimensional players like Campoli, Gill, and Kaberle, while keeping everyone fresher.

Which of these adjustments has been more important to the Habs’ recent success? The reason I wonder is because when the next forward returns, will RC go back to 4 forward lines, or stick with the 7 D system?

• Strummer says:

I wouldn’t get too giddy over victories against Wpg and Tampa.

______________________________________________________
      “You have to be this tall to ride on this ride”
      -as posted in amusement parks across North America

7. punkster says:

Opened the Simmons article. Started to read it. Stopped after first few sentences for no other reason than I remembered, it’s Simmons, the guy who said on TSNs The Reporters, the day after the Chara hit on Max, that it was a clean hit, no penalty, because “Chara was skating backwards”.

Simmons is on my blacklist.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

No doubt he is a complete baffoon, however, on occasion I don’t mind him because he is one of the only members of the mainstream media in the GTA who isn’t afraid of Brian Burke. The rest of the them by and large worship the ground he walks on.

• Strummer says:

I’d cut Simmons some slack.

He’s one of the few Toronto sports journo’s that stands up to Brian Burke and the rest of the MLSE establishment.

He also went after David Frost a few years back -the guy who brainwashed Mike Danton and all those other kids- and I believe was responsible for finally getting that creep out of hockey.

His view on the Canadian goalies does make sense.

However he does tend to ramble in his Sunday columns. He’s always dropping pop culture references that can be annoying.
      On the TSN Reporters he is in a competition with the other reporters form competing news services and tries to be outrageous at times.

______________________________________________________
      “You have to be this tall to ride on this ride”
      -as posted in amusement parks across North America

8. boing007 says:

I suggest that train travel be reintroduced to the NHL whenever and wherever possible. Example: Plane to Edmonton, train to Calgary, then to Vancouver. Phoenix, Dallas? Flight to L.A., play in Anaheim, train to San José. Same in the East: New York, New Jersey, Boston, Philadelphia. Fix the schedule so that as many games as possible would be played in similar time zones and take the train, rather than the plane. Red Fisher would love it.

Richard R

9. arcosenate says:

Take comfort in the fact that should Brad Marchand get no suspension, which he probably won’t after the requisite hockey play excuses, he is bound by karma to return to this earth as a tick on a dog’s anus. Something akin to how he has chosen to live his current life. Thank you PK Subban (I can watch this for hours):

10. Habhopeful says:

I don’t know if anyone seen this funny video of the protest at the bell center, have a look, funny but embarrassing as a montrealer

• ZepFan2 says:

Absolutely ridiculous!

At least the guy with the flags has it right, “Les Nordiques, l’equipe de mon pays.”

PLEASE give these people back the Nordiques!

———————————————————————-
      Welcome to the newer NHL: The National Headshot League.

In a twisted way I think i will be cheering on Boston for most of their games the rest of the season. With the exception of games against Montreal and any Western Conference team, the more regulation time wins they can get the better for the Habs. Hurts to say it, but they are so far ahead that may as well concede them a good reg. season and hope they prevent other Eastern teams from getting points.

• punkster says:

Did a double take on this one. Then a triple salchow. Then poured a quadruple shot, downed it and performed 5 perfect back flips.

Fingers poised expectantly over keyboard, Google open on “List of 100 Top Swear Words”, blood pressure rising to dangerous levels…then I realized, hey, Burlie’s on to something here.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

Haha, great reaction Punkster!!!

• habMAINEac says:

Dude, I almost puked. Living in Bruins territory I have a daily fight even at work…I do agree they have some good players but I Habsolutely DETEST them as a team. I would even root for the Leafs or even the Blue Jackets before wishing the Goons well.

Mediocre teams work at their best; teams seeking excellence strive to do better.

I share your despisement, but given how many teams we have to leapfrog in order to get a playoff position I am just trying to justify watching the results everday when i see a Bruins win. I can’t “really” ever cheer for them, but rather just see a positive from a win against an Eastern opponent.

• G-Man says:

I hate the Gooins too much to wish them anything except concussions. May their 2nd half be filled with them. Dirty shieces of pit.

12. Malreg says:

Just for fun Cunneyworth should start Budaj tomorrow.

13. BTVHabsFan says:

Am I the only one who noticed Saturday night that Tretiak got a bigger ovation than Cournoyer or Paul Henderson? Only in Montreal I guess.

• Duke_Rauol says:

I knew Tretiak would get a big ovation, but didnt think it would be bigger than Cournoyer’s.

——————————————————————-
      We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold……

• nunacanadien says:

Take into account also that the fans were also applauding his countrymen’s recent gold medal on top. I bet if it had been any other time Cournoyer would get a standing ovation. Mind you Tretiak has always been in Montreal’s heart, if only he had been allowed to play in Montreal how our history would be different today.

14. Looking forward tot he new Canadiens kicking Brian Elliot and the Blues in the ass. Going to be a quiet night for Allan Walsh. Play me or trade me….how’d that work pout for ya Allan. I hear you’re saying the same thing in Missoura!

Shane Oliver
    http://www.Sholi2000.com Inc.
    Custom Sports Figures
    Brandon, MB,Canada
    R7B 2R7
    hockey@sholi2000.com
    Ph- 204 724 8418

• habs03 says:

LOL, they are given Elliot the night off ;)

Edit: Wait, I think Halak teammates don’t like him and don’t want to play for him, they clear play better and put a better effort with Elliot in nets, seem to be willing to block more shots, etc..

lol sorry I had to.

• Clay says:

You are being small and petty. No need for that. Halak played well for us, and loved it here. Some respect for that is warranted.

And despite Halak’s terrible start, his numbers are now comparable to Price:
      Price: GAA 2.45 Save % .913
      Halak: GAA 2.29 Save % .911

I still hope the Habs win, but I will always respect any player who gave this Canadiens team his heart and soul in games. Halak did that.
      __________________________
      ☞ “Talent is a gift from God, but you only succeed with hard work. Yvan was proof of that.” – Jean Beliveau. ☜

15. Chuck says:

Here’s hoping that Halak receives a nice welcome from the crowd tomorrow night. He played well for the Habs and was, by all accounts, a good teammate. I’d like to see him play well tomorrow… but of course, I’d like to see our guy play a little bit better. ;)

1-0 Habs.

• He’ll receive an nice welcome Chuck. Followed by a “Walsh Sucks” chant and a 7-1 win for the Habs :)

Shane Oliver
      http://www.Sholi2000.com Inc.
      Custom Sports Figures
      Brandon, MB,Canada
      R7B 2R7
      hockey@sholi2000.com
      Ph- 204 724 8418

• Hobie Hansen says:

I’d be booing the crap out of Halak because the Habs don’t need the other team’s goalie feeling warm and fuzzy.

• I hope people don’t boo him. Game 6 against Washington was one of the best clutch performances by a Hab in I don’t know how long.

I wish him well also Chuck, but would prefer about 5 goals get past him, he gets yanked to a standing ovation.

Then he can go play well the rest of the season for St. Louis against other teams.

• G-Man says:

Agree. A nail-biting 1-0 win with the goal coming in the final minute of the 3rd would be great.

• Clay says:

I’m with you there Chuck. Halak played his ass off for this team, and deserves all the respect in the world for that. 1-0 sounds perfect. Even better if it’s in a shootout.

__________________________

• Bill says:

He’ll get a great welcome – the Bell Centre crowd knows how to be classy when its really called for – and he deserves it.

Some people hated Halak because they were Price fans, but very few. On the other hand, there were lots of people who hated Halak fans, rather than Halak, because it was such a bitter debate. That can be safely put to bed. Price is here, Halak is gone, and Price has been more than adequate.

For the record, I always thought they were pretty comparable as goalies, and still feel that way. I said at the time it wouldn’t make much difference which one they kept. That’s still my view.

Full Breezer 4 Life

16. HabFanSince72 says:

Everyone thinks RC has the Habs playing differently/better. I’m not sure. We won two in a row against two poor teams, neither of which is likely to make the playoffs. Also, I don’t think we flat out sucked before.

Let’s reassess the situation in 7 days.

• No question there are differences in how they play. Every time I see a puck go astray towards the blue line, I expect the camera to pan to centre ice as the Habs D retreat. On more than one occaision against the Bolts I was surprised to see the D-man attack the puck and keep it in the zone. That’s just one example.

I have seen this team lose 2 games in a row to poor teams under JM earlier this season, so perhaps it is somewhat different.

• G-Man says:

More aggressive pinching by the D and either a 1 man or 2 man forecheck that takes the near boards away from the opposition’s Dman. Better teams will support their D better and not get stuck trying to get the puck out. However, these are positive changes that allow Habs forwards to attack the puck and the puck carrier. I suppose having Eric Cole bearing down on you full tilt can cause a few giveaways. :)

• athanor says:

The hard forecheck also doesn’t give other team half the ice as a matter of course, so they actually have to work to reach Habs’ zone. And they have also given up goals because of the forecheck, as in Eller’s first against Winnipeg.

17. JF says:

A good piece by Eric Engels on the subtlety of Randy Cunneyworth’s coaching:

• Duke_Rauol says:

Thanks for the link, good read!

——————————————————————-

• Chorske says:

Good read. But does Blunden really count as a local boy? I know he’s lived and played here before joining the Habs, but he is generally listed as an Ontario boy.

18. Hobie Hansen says:

It seems that the tight leash Jacques Martin had around the Canadiens neck has been loosened a tad. It looks as if Randy Cunneyworth is allowing them to play with a little more of a chip on their shoulders and won’t crucify the Canadiens for standing up for themselves.

We saw Pacioretty and Gill fight in separate games recently, a fight in practice and Emelin just destroy people with hits. It seems the Habs are also not as quick to head for cover when the after the whistle shenanigans begin.

My only concern is Boston on Thursday. Guaranteed either Thornton or McQuaid will try and square off with Moen and the rest of the Bruins like Lucic, Horton and company will be face-washing, taunting and pushing around the rest of the team.

I’m just waiting for Emelin to nail a Bruins player and have their entire roster try and injure him or sucker him into a fight.

I really wish Emelin had a guy like Carkner from Ottawa playing alongside of him. I took in a lot of the Sens/Flyers home and home and Carkner did a fantastic job keeping order in front of the Sens net with all of Philadelphia’s big forwards trying to cause havoc.

Keeping fingers crossed we win in Boston on Thursday and come home without injuries!

I hear you Hobie, absolutely Bruins will play their games as you describe. We don’t have that player you describe currently, White can’t come back soon enough and Tinordi is still at least 1-2 years away.

I think with RC as coach tougher players will be rewarded with ice time, something JM was not prone to doing. All the more reason why Habs should have made coaching change in offseason so that the GM and coach could have been on same page as it related to what kinds of players to bring in.

Example of this was JM’s refusal to want to use Cole very much, limiting Emelin’s role on team and the essential benching of Blunden when we had no other available players for that role.

• Phil C says:

No doubt that Boston will try to intimidate the Habs like they do with everyone. At the same time, Montreal is the one team that consistently gives Boston trouble. I think it is because our speedy forwards expose the slowness of Boston’s D, and we used to have a PP that punished them for their buffoonery. Our PP is not as good obviously, but we still match up well against them.

I wish the Habs had a defenseman like Pronger or Chara who can play tough, AND play 25-30 minutes a game in all situations. But they are harder to find. At least we have a guy like Emelin now who forces teams to be careful when he’s on the ice. I hope we see lots of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEAsm_zf1lw
      At the end of the clip, Lucic takes a big run at him, but just bounces off. I am amazed how strong Emelin is on his skates.

19. WindsorHab-10 says:

Will Marchand get what’s coming to him or will it just be a slap on the wrist?

Boston Bruins? Dirtiest team in hockey.

20. price365 says:

Big deal should they make the playoffs – They’re not tough enough to go 4-rounds – would be better to finish low in the standings and maybe get a draft pick that can score 40 goals once in awhile – we haven’t had one for the past 20 years – this team is better with RC – IMO he’s a very good coach but they’re still not tough enough to win the cup – this new NHL – at least 1/3 of the team has to be 20 goal scores – be tough – and real good goaltending to have a chance of winning a cup – we are missing the toughness – say what you want about the bruins – that’s how they won and don’t count them out this year.

• nunacanadien says:

What we are also missing is an offensive output. Sure we’ve made some interesting signings but none of them really count for much in the end if they don’t score. And they were not signed because of their scoring ability.

We need to change the mindset, sure we fired Martin but we are on the downward spiral of Gauthier’s defensive minded leadership. And Gainey is to blame for starting this. Thinking if we keep Price and he only lets in 2 goals a game, all we need to to is protect a 3 goal lead.

That is wrong. It is time we fire Gauthier and put Cunneyworth back as assistant. Bring in a hockey management and a hockey coaching team that is offensive minded. Sure we appreciate the defensive skills so far but they have not helped us.

We are not big enough still, we sign Gorges, but really he should be the smallest defense we should have. Get rid of the small smurfs on the team. All they do is take advantage of our defenisive mindedness without contributing in one iota towards defense. All we see are Gomez and Gionta being pushed aside. If we dont’ get rid of Gomez and Gionta soon, they’ll cost us the season.

Maybe its time for a rebuild then, keep Emelin, Cole, Eller, Blunden and a few as long as they are significant contributers and of decent size. The Boston series last year and this year showed us what a bit of toughness can bring. Emelin and Cole opened our eyes early in the season.

21. kirkiswork says:

I am really happy that Briere didn’t end up signing here.
    He is a real dirty little S#@T

22. Le Jadester says:

I was pretty happy to see Blunden get his first !

I guess that just leaves Emelin ?
    I’m thinking he’s gonna get one in Beantown this week !

BTW, he seems to gain the offensive zone just as well as PK when he rushes with the puck, and under a little more control and composure too IMO. Wonder if we’ll get to see a little more of that in the 2nd half of the season ?

Habs, OLE !

• English is not a Crime says:

And Gomez… unless you mean first career goals, I think I heard that Gomez scored a goal a few years ago (allegedly anyway)

• nunacanadien says:

I wonder, maybe Geoff Molson is missing the ship again. If we want to change the Habs, you do that over the summer. It might make sense to fire the management and coach before season end so at least the hockey world knows who these new people are. It doesn’t make sense to fire the management and coach unless you plan a wholesale makeover. I doubt that is what the Molsons want to do. I bet they want to build on a few of the solid players and keep the exciting new players like Emelin. You can’t really do that with hiring a new GM at season end and hope to salvage another year. If we keep Cunneyworth and Gauthier, they will play Gomez. If they play Gomez then the season is gone, numerically we will lose just enough for the salt to be rubbed in even more. Heck Gomez would leave with adding yet another insult to our horrible year end, it was bad enough the man did not produce but it would be worse if Cunneyworth and Gauthier threw him into the lines and destroyed what little season we had left. And to put a negative on a what has been an exciting few games. The habs should just buy out Gomez and Gionta. Keep the momentum going, don’t parachute these smurfs in! The lines are finally starting to look exciting and the habs are finally starting to defend the goal crease…..we dont’ need Gomez to waltz in and open the doors to the habs being pushed around again.

23. English is not a Crime says:

How does Steve Simmons have a job? This guy is the most clueless (next to possibly Don Cherry) ‘journalist’ in Canada, yet he rambles on with his holier than thou attitude of he’s right and everyone else is wrong for actually having a clue and knowing better than him.

They need to put Simmons, Cherry and Todd in a rocket and see how close it can get to the sun before it disintegrates.

• G-Man says:

That’s a little radical, but it is Monday morning and nerves are frayed. I refuse to watch Cherry. I don’t read Todd and Simmons. It’s easier on my nerves that way.

• Strummer says:

I’d cut Simmons some slack.

His view on the Canadian goalies does make sense.

However he does tend to ramble in his Sunday columns and on the TSN Reporters he is ina competition with the othe reporters form competing news services and tries to be outrageous at times.

______________________________________________________
      “You have to be this tall to ride on this ride”
      -as posted in amusement parks across North America

24. habs03 says:

Oh Halak, the dude is, and will never been more than a 1A/B goalie, he just isn’t mentally strong enough to be a number 1 goalie. Add to that the huge size issue he has.

• avatar_58 says:

Say what you will but when Halak is back there I don’t worry he’ll screw the game up with softies. That’s something I can’t say about ANY of the habs backups lately

• nunacanadien says:

Count on Halak to shine as most former habs play like they have something to prove when they come back to play in Montreal. The old Ex-Hab effect.

• Ali says:

Mentally strong enough? Like upset a #1 and #2 seed in the playoffs strong enough? Or comeback from 1-3 against #1 seed strong enough? Gee i dunno…

• habs03 says:

He also had some very bad games vs those teams. Last season in St Louis, when becoming a number 1 goalie, aside from the hot start he had (15 games), he was bad, and even he admitted that he wasn’t mentally strong enough to be a number goalie. This season, he kept his poor play, and only now that Elliot emerged as a number 1 goalie that Halak has started to play well. Getting more time of between games, having someone else “push him”. The guy can not be a number 1 goalie in the NHL and handle anything more than 65 games.

• avatar_58 says:

What is “handling” 65+ games exactly? Winning 65/82? Sounds like a good record. Last time I checked Price and Thomas, 2 of the best last year, didn’t exactly “handle” their workload either.

Reality is you need 2 good goalies.

• habs03 says:

I meant being able to play 60-70 games, and give you team a chance to win all the games. Price has done that this year, and last year. How did Price not handling playing 73 games last year, he looked more than fine in the playoffs. As for Thomas, that’s a different story, the guy is 37 years old. Halak size is the biggest issue into why is he a 1A/B goalie, he is good for a while, but gets too tired and then struggles.

• avatar_58 says:

I guess my point is – some of the losses I saw from the Blues indicated it wasn’t so much HIS fault. But then I don’t watch them all the time. Stats don’t tell the whole story, otherwise we’d have to crown Luongo as “one of the greats”

• habs03 says:

To he honest, I was exaggerating, he did play poor, but has really be playing well. Its just that he has been a disappointing to the Blues fans, just because he came with a lot of hype.

25. nickster13 says:

Since Carolina is struggling, i think the habs should pick up Jussi Jokinen. Maybe for Campoli and a 2nd rounder. This would give us some scoring depth, as well as a shootout specialist to improve that lousy 1-5 shootout record. Do it!!!

26. ABHabsfan says:

Being all the articles are listed together, perhaps Jack Todd should read the columns by Red Fisher and Steve Simmons just to he can be ware of what good journalism looks like. I give it a chance usually because I read all the articles but his drivel is increasingly a waste of time.
    I have a theory about the decline of Canadian goalies; perhaps this is a product of the over-structured defensive systems that are encouraged in todays youth hockey? Goalies are not used to seeing the wide open, hair-on-fire hockey that shows up in the WCHJ. They are all taught positional goaltending ( I think) and let-the-puck-hit-you style. Positionally sound is great, but I would like to see more “I’d rather be shot than let a goal in” attitude ala Tim Thomas. Where are the great glove saves of past years? It’s just a theory.

27. Castor says:

Hey remember when everyone here was complaining that Emelin looked out of shape?

• G-Man says:

Now he bends players out of shape with his big time hits. :)

• nickster13 says:

I think players like Cammy should have also arrived “out of shape” as the guy is afraid to touch anyone.

But good god his hits lately have been impressive, timing has been perfect, and form has been perfect, you dont see that anymore.

Uhmm I take exception to that, never felt he was out of shape. One fricking picture and people jumped to conclusions, my interpretation then and now is that the Bear is Farm Strong. May not be chiselled, but he will put a hurtin’ on people.

28. Izzy says:

a little help guys..I’m over 20 years removed from living in Mtl, but need to book a room for this coming saturday. I have been given a corporate box for the Habs – sens game. Best bang for the buck, and/or anything within wobbling distance?

After Emelin hits you, you get coloring books for christmas……

29. habstrinifan says:

It would be awesome to finish 8th and face the Bruins. For us to rise to 8th the boys will have to be playing well and will be loaded with confidence. And so I think the pressure will be all on the Bruins.

30. CanadienBoy says:

In the room article shown a team happy to win and seem to get alone, funny how the spot light going to the youngs guys as well as the news ones Emelin ,Cole, got me thinking how it use to be Cammy all the time

31. SmartDog says:

Wasn’t really following the standings. Didn’t realize the Rangers are first overall… WITHOUT Scott Gomez. How they manage that I don’t know. We’ve been without Gomez for a long time now and it doesn’t help as much as I thought…. or course we don’t get anything in return. Speaking of which, Ryan McDonagh is +9 playing OVER 25 minutes a night. And then there’s that 7 million + of cap space. But hey, I’m sure those things have nothing to do with the Rangers success. Or our coming failure to make the playoffs.

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

32. nickster13 says:

Also, those protestors are so lame. I cant think of a more appropriate word. Mouvement montreal francais? Tacky and lame, this isnt nouveau-france, this is the “new” continent that both the english, french, and many other groups staked a claim to, including montreal, which for much of its history had a huge english stake. But lets forget about that part shall we, bill 101 followers? I dont have a problem with the rest of quebec loving the french language, but it upsets me when i see them driving into west end montreal and trying to eradicate the english folks.
    I speak french quite well, and always use it when im in known french parts of town, but i dont like encroachment. Leave private things like hockey teams and english signs and neighbourhoods alone. Thats my rant.

• SmartDog says:

Apparently, the first choice for a name was “French Nationalists Who Don’t Watch Hockey”.

————————————-
      Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• nickster13 says:

This is why the Nordiques should come back, but then again, i would feel sorry if this would then happen to them, they would also be bogged down by the french nationalists and i fear for the players and coaching staff of that team.

• G-Man says:

“when i see them driving into west end montreal and trying to eradicate the english folks”.

Eradicate? Really?
      “I speak french quite well, and always use it when im in known french parts of town, but i dont like encroachment.”

Glad you clarified by saying this is a rant.

• nickster13 says:

*sigh*, maybe youre not a victim of this, but i have seen a handful of times outward racism and policies meant to remove the anglos. For example ive seen a bus driver refuse to talk to a tourist in english when she asked a question in english, and he laughed it off and said “on parle francais, ici”. Many people have stories like these.

• habs178 says:

I’m bilingual, but live in Ontario. I went to my first Habs game when they were in ECF against Philly, game 4. I was worried that my French wouldn’t be up to par when I got to Montreal, but I was pleasantly surprised that I didn’t have to speak French at all. Everyone spoke to me in English. Granted, I have zero clue as to which is the East/West/North/South side.

Being from another provice, you hear not so pleasant things about Quebec, and their need for “French only”. Again, it surprised me that I didn’t have to speak French at all, and everyone was awesome! I had the best time, and totally fell in love with the city.

Anyhoo, just thought I’d throw that out there :)

“How would you like a job where, every time you make a mistake, a big red light goes on and 18,000 people boo?”
          ~Jacques Plante

• nickster13 says:

Oh dont get me wrong, i love my city and most of its inhabitants. But its the bad eggs (and seeing them often enough), that really put a damper on things sometimes, and often have much louder voices than the sane ones. Ill still take it any day over Toronto :)

Also, for the record, the bell centre is still “west end”, so using english is usually not a problem!

• G-Man says:

There are quite a few bus drivers who should be driving only in the Lac St. Jean area considering their piss poor attitude.
          I am convinced that some are blatantly racist, but I believe you’ll get that pretty much everywhere you go. Humanity isn’t as enlightened as we all wish it was.

• nickster13 says:

agree! I also dislike all the western canadian spammers who hate on quebec but have never been here. Like on the internet (where everyone speaks their mind) i read so much hate about quebec and french culture, it makes me upset as that is also my ancestry. Can’t people just accept each other and not try and force the other to change?

• athanor says:

Please, it’s about language, not colour.
            They should therefore be called bigots, not racists.

33. nickster13 says:

Ok. Normally i like Jack Todd’s articles because they have a bit of edge to them, and speak from the heart.
    But this time, all his major points are way off.
    He knocks Koivu and Gallagher based on size and injuries,
    he supports the french protestors and their plight for a french coach,
    knocks the world junior tournament (i agree overhyped, but it cant be argued how much good, clean fun it is.)

anyone else agree?

• New says:

They just write columns to get responses/hits. If you check the photos of the “protest” you see bitter, disgruntled, “I protest everything” faces. The real fun is from the thousands of readers who read the articles, look at the ads, and get wrapped around the axle. Takes the pressure off finding something positive to write about in a lost season. Even the columns about Halak coming back to town for a game is meant to get a rise. Halak is their number two goalie and has been for awhile. Their farm has two young goalies who will be better than Elliott or Halak.

• SlovakHab says:

Honestly, I have never read a good Jack Todd article and his points are always off, to me.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Actually, he emphatically criticized the protesters.

34. New says:

Pierre Ladouceur is very generous with his report card on the first half. The team failed to achieve anything but a 25th spot overall in the standings. If the Canadiens make the playoffs Jacques Martin should return his paycheck for the last three years. If the Canadiens do not make the playoffs but hit 50 points for the second half then Mr. Gauthier should send in his.

The Canadiens are still paying Martin and I think the way he was released was wrong. RC should have been given increased duties to handle all on ice, player communication, and practice issues. Martin should have been given the role of talking only to PG and the press. He could have still stood behind the bench, just don’t do or say anything the players might have mistaken as coming from the coach.

Finally, I hope beyond all hope that Gomez has been taking an extensive total immersion language course with tutor while he has been off. I want to hear a fluent Scott Gomez explain what is wrong with the team as he continues his torrid pace to catch Hal Gill in the scoring race.

35. Top Corner says:

Glad to see A. Vigneault go all “brad marchand” on brad marchand in the media…..LMAO

Karma !!

3 games ( I want 5…. but that wont happen)

36. Jim Edson says:

As the Toad turns!

Now Jack Toad is:

A) Expounding his homegrown insight on all things Quebec!

Oh sorry he’s not a Quebecer and shocker he’s not even Canadian!

B) Supporting the cause of the millionaire elitist hockey players against the very hand that feeds them!

Aren’t these the same group of humanity that Toad grinds on month in and out for making over the minimum wage? See Gomez, Scott!

Send him back to a Nebraska corn crib where he belongs!

———————————————————————-
    What does the Commissioner of the NHL do?

In short, a league commissioner is the action man for the Board of Governors.

They tell him what they want done and he works to make it happen through his subordinates while making sure that individual franchises play by the rules.

******** Translated if you haven’t won the Stanley Cup in 40 years your NHL team is becoming irrelevant in a sports mad city long behind MLB, NFL and NBA teams, you just tell the commissioner(who you gave a new contract at 7 plus million per) to make it happen and the rules are bent sufficiently to action the command.

37. habs001 says:

The habs have had a mediocre first half…to make the playoffs the habs cannot have a record in the second half that is of a good playoff team…they have to have a record of an elite stanley cup favourite team..this will be a difficult task…the pp has to click at a top 10 pace and camm,gion and plecks have to score 20 more goals combined than in the first half…

38. G-Man says:

The max Ratchand will get is a fine.