Canadiens face Cup finalist

Schneider
It’s not often Bell Centre fans get to see the Vancouver Canucks, whose lineup includes Montreal homeboys Roberto Luongo, Alex Burrrows and Maxim Lapierre.
Not to mention former Canadiens first-round draft choice Christopher Higgins.

Canadiens look to rebound

Players make annual visits to kids hospitals

Pat Hickey on Hal Gill

Dave Stubbs on the ailing PP

Hickey on shootouts, Weber, Leblanc

Red Fisher on the emergence of top teams

Stu Cowan on Habs’ special teams

Mike Boone on Habs fan in Hong Kong

Kevin Mio on Brendan Gallagher

Jean-François Chaumont on Alexei Emelin

Stu Hackel on the NHL’s painkiller problem

Spear of the Year? Ovechkin on Chris Neil:

1. Un Canadien errant says:

Just to try to close the Ovechkin spearing incident discussion, I see posters congratulating the refs for using discretion in not calling a penalty, since the spear was ‘not that bad’. This is the mentality we’ve been reduced to as NHL fans, that it’s okay to break the rules depending on how overt an infraction is, or what the score is or how much time is left in the game when it’s committed, or what jersey the offender is wearing.

The rule clearly, specifically calls for a double minor for spearing incidents even when NO CONTACT IS MADE. The offender doesn’t have the excuse that he barely hit his target, or was faking a spear to keep the opponent honest. The act of spearing is in and of itself punishable, and the penalty can ramp up depending on the consequences.

The rule removes from the referee the obligation or opportunity to decide if a spear was bad or not. The act of spearing is the punishable act, you don’t have to weigh in whether Chris Neil is a faker or whether Ovie is a cheapshot artist or not. The referees clearly DON’T have discretion in these matters.

In last night’s example, the only excuse the referees would have to not call a penalty would be that they didn’t see it happen, but turned around to witness Mr. Neil do his pathetic little dive, preceded by a telltale “Where’s the ref at?” look around.

Rule 62 – Spearing

62.1 Spearing – Spearing shall mean stabbing an opponent with the point of the stick blade, whether contact is made or not.
    62.2 Double-minor Penalty – A double-minor penalty will be imposed on a player who spears an opponent and does not make contact.
    62.3 Major Penalty – A major penalty shall be imposed on a player who spears an opponent (see 62.5).
    62.4 Match Penalty – A match penalty shall be imposed on a player who injures an opponent as a result of a spear.
    62.5 Game Misconduct Penalty – Whenever a major penalty is assessed for spearing, a game misconduct penalty must also be imposed.
    62.6 Fines and Suspensions – There are no specified fines or suspensions for spearing, however, supplementary discipline can be applied by the Commissioner at his discretion (refer to Rule 28).

———————————
    How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

2. ont fan says:

Please not Boucher or Lemaire..we have that kind of hockey now..boring ..how about Gallant

3. HabsFan1111 says:

With all the fire PG and JM talk, just to throw a GM replacement name into the discussion, how about Doug Risebrough?

4. kirkiswork says:

Even at home ?

5. The Dude says:

This game is up for grabs luckily cause of the Booth and Higgins injury’s.But like others on this site , I am sorry to say I hope we lose BIG.T he time for change is NOW!

6. Weber out, St Denis in, with Spacek and Campoli around the corner, and dare I say Markov not too too far behind, Weber could be out of the line up permanently.

7. newbrunswick troy says:

here is just a few of my uneducated observations;
    this team has a lot of skill,not so much in size! that we all know,but what is killing this team including the power play is one simple thing!!! Intensity, this team does not play very often with the level of intensity that it takes to win on a consistant basis. Against the Jackets i watched Cammy skate around all night looking for the puck to just come to him, also the little battles are never won in the corners because the Habs don,t push hard enough…
    All that said…as mid-season approaches and they are still out of a playoff spot, well they will need an act of God to get one unless they start to playing with a little INTENSITY!!!!

• Habfan4lfe says:

Ever think they might just be sick and tired of the system they are playing? a system that has produced absolutely zero? Ever think maybe they are sick of JM? All you speak about is hearsay.

• TomNickle says:

No offense to you. But I’m starting to think that the size argument is coming from people who have little-man syndrome. In the last twenty-four months, the team has added the following players.

Lars Eller, Erik Cole, Max Pacioretty, Alexei Emelin.

Four players and the smallest one being 6’1 and 220 pounds.

They can’t add 23 players over 6’3 overnight.

8. 100HABS says:

From TSN:
    “Former Canadien Chris Higgins is questionable for tonight after sitting out Tuesday with a staph infection in his foot. Higgins had the same ailment last season. ”
    Didn’t this guy go to college? You’d figure he would learn to wash his feet every once in a while!

• likehoy says:

rumour was he didn’t really major in anything. Just took electives and easy courses.

- If the NHL was the Wizard of Oz, Cammalleri would be the Cowardly Lion.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I know you’re being facetious, but staph infections are a recurring problem in sports.

Quoted from the link pasted below:

““Considering all factors, the authors of the St. Louis Rams study concluded that frequent antibiotic use, compromised skin barriers, skin contact between players, close proximity of teammates, and inadequate hand and personal hygiene by trainers and athletes may have contributed to the team’s MRSA outbreak,” said Dr. Adams. “In addition, infections found in players from an opposing team suggested that transmission may have occurred during play.”

———————————
      How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

9. HabsFan1111 says:

Is it just me or does it seem like every team that we play is in the middle of some sort of winning streak?!? Even Columbus was in a groove when we played them, what the eff man!

My thought o the day….

Athletes (as a general rule) always look forward to playing in front of a passionate, noisy, engaged crowd. I think, teams play better at the Bell Centre, simply because it is such a vibrant arena. As a former athlete myself, I would always look forward to playing in front of larger crowds, especially on the road. I think our crowd works against us more than for us. Not only are our opponents more motivated (especially those teams who are use to playing in front of majority empty seats), but our club faces more pressure to perform, especially on special teams and in nets. Everytime a Hab falls, boooooo no penalty call, everytime PK gets the puck with a millisecond of room at the point, shoooooooooooooot! It must be frustrating for the players.

I think as fans, those fortunate enough to get tickets to games, we need to find ways to give our club the advantage at home. Like in football, the home crowd tries to make so much noise that the visitors can’t hear their play calls or snap counts. Maybe we can come up with something to eff up the visitors instead of putting more pressure on our boys.

Just a thought.

10. nejad123 says:

does anyone know where i can get an alexei emelin shirt?

I hated every minute of training, but I said, “Don’t quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.”
    Muhammad Ali

11. cuzzie says:

A city the size of Montreal wouldn’t you think radio990 could find some knowledgable sports broadcasters for their mid-morning and early-afternoon shows?

Mr. Bad Example!

12. Say Ash says:

Anybody got a clip of the Emelin hit after he got high-sticked? Can’t find one.

13. Habs71 says:

God Bless everyone on the site have a safe and merry christmas, espicially you habs17 it takes real men to realize its not all about winning

14. Habs71 says:

who are you, you dont nothing about hockey you probably play juvinile.

15. C_exacte says:

Alain Vigneault? Remember the old days when we got consistent scoring from Oleg Petrov.

16. shiram says:

St-Denis in, Weber out.
    No PP for the Weber it seems.

Maybe Markov sometime?

17. jon514 says:

I think this team needs an Alec Baldwin (Glengarry Glen Ross) style point scoring competition. Put Cammy, Gomez, Gio and JM in a room with this guy.

Blake: Let’s talk about something important! (to Cammy) Put that BIOSTEEL down!! Biosteel’s for closers only. (Cammy scoffs) Do you think I’m f’ing with you? I am not f’ing with you. I’m here from downtown. I’m here from Gauthier and Molson. And I’m here on a mission of mercy. Your name’s Cammalleri?
    Cammy: I don’t have to listen to this…
    Blake: You certainly don’t pal. ‘Cause the good news is — you’re fired. The bad news is you’ve got, all you got, just ten games to regain your jobs, starting tonight. Starting with tonight’s game. Oh, have I got your attention now? Good. ‘Cause we’re adding a little something to this month’s Molson contest. As you all know, first star get’s a Cadillac Eldorado. Anyone want to see second star’s prize? Second prize’s a set of steak knives. Third prize is you’re fired. You get the picture? You’re laughing now? You got ice time. Gauthier and Molson paid good money. Get their names to win games! You can’t close the chances you’re given, you can’t close sh*t, you ARE sh*t, hit the showers pal and beat it ’cause you are going out!!!

“Let’s be clear on the facts…”

18. bel33 says:

I know it’s off topic but WOW:

Albert Pujols has agreed to a 10-year contract with the Los Angeles Angels for $250 million!! Baseball is nuts!!!

I wonder if they’d take Gomez’s contract?

19. habfan53 says:

For what it is worth (nothing except discussion)
    Coaching records for the HABS
    Alain Vigneault 104-105-33-4 = 48.98% * #
    Michel Therrrien 77-77-22-14 = 50%
    Guy Carbonneau 124-83–0-23 = 58.9%
    Claude Julien 72-62-17-8 = 53.14% #
    Jacques Martin 94-77-0-24 = 55.20%

* Vigneault had 2 seasons where the Canadiens led the league in games lost to injuries
    # Won Jack Adams Trophy after leaving Montreal

20. kirkiswork says:

The fourth period (don’t know how reliable they are) is saying that Molson is considering a big shake up, including getting rid of the GM and coach beacuse the players find the system to restrictive and have stopped responding.
    Hope it’s true

21. Grallis says:

Can’t wait for Markov to come back, completely healthy, & show us why he is, outside of Price, the best player the Habs have had in the last 10 years.

Sorry posting this twice just because I’m waiting for the nay sayers ;)

And on the 8th day the Lord said…..let there be the Canadiens

• The Cat says:

Id get excited over Subban instead of Markov, Markov is just a slightly better version of Kaberle when his knees were good. Now its ridiculous to expect any kind of impact from him.

• Shawn S says:

I swear people seem to have selective memories. Now granted, Markov hasn’t played in a year, but to say he is slightly better version of Kaberle is preposterous. Markov is a good defenseman and a terrific offensive defenseman. Kaberle is neither of those things.

• The Cat says:

Not saying I like Kaberle, I dislike that ilk of d-men but someone thought highly of him enough to give a 1st round pick. Give me a Emelin-type anytime over those guys, they just dont command respect, and thats essential on a blue line.

• habsnyc says:

Wasn’t there some stat that in 09-10 montreal had a way above .500 record with Markov and way below without him? I think he was critical to Montreal’s success.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

• likehoy says:

I don’t think saying Markov is a better version of Kaberle is holding anything back cause Kaberle was a pretty good player in his prime
        I’ll have to say Markov is a much better player in his own zone than Kaberle. What I liked about Markov is that he never got beat one on one

That being said.. Subban is currently overrated. He can skate, he can shoot, he can stickhandle.. but he’s an average passer and he doesn’t play a team game. He’s a far cry away from doing what Markov did for us in the last 10 years.

- If the NHL was the Wizard of Oz, Cammalleri would be the Cowardly Lion.

• Chrisadiens says:

It’s his 2nd year in the league. Give PK a break. He will be great.

Did you think he was overrated last year?

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

• likehoy says:

well he was a rookie last year, so whatever he did set the bar.
            but this year it’s clear that everyone’s overrating him.

- If the NHL was the Wizard of Oz, Cammalleri would be the Cowardly Lion.

• Chrisadiens says:

So you think last year was just a fluke? I think at the very least he will perform at the level he did last year, very soon. And down the road he will be a superstar.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

• G-Man says:

I am outraged, I tell ya! Outraged!
        Kaberle? Pshawww!

• Grallis says:

Healthy Markov, & Subban, “What a wonderful world it would be”…sorry gotta love Mr. Armstrong :)

And on the 8th day the Lord said…..let there be the Canadiens

• sims says:

Kaberle?
        CMon

Gonchar i would have accepted, but Kaberle?

• Grallis says:

Can’t wait to hear what “words” taste like…;) Last time I checked they were a little bitter.

And on the 8th day the Lord said…..let there be the Canadiens

• AliHaba says:

100% agreed.

• AliHaba says:

It’s really our only hope to turn the season around. I am an eternal optimist and I believe that when Markov comes back this team will fly.

• Grallis says:

Let me take U to a world, a wonderful perfect world, in which our 6 D-Men are:
      Markov & the E-Tank( & yes I’ll take credit for Nic name)
      PK & Gill remember last year)
      Josh & Spaz (perfect pairing, like a Burger with Fries)

And on the 8th day the Lord said…..let there be the Canadiens

• Bash says:

Emelin’s nickname?

Bam Bam!

“If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.” (anon)

• Cardiac says:

But where will JM find the room for those dynamic powerplay juggernauts Diaz and Webber???

- Jerry Maguire

• Grallis says:

Well we’ll need a 7th D-Man, just for the PP mind you, and that would be Webber(or the shot) ;) ( Plus he can play wing if need be)

And on the 8th day the Lord said…..let there be the Canadiens

22. hansolo says:

About Ovie’s spear:

In theory, I agree that a spear is a spear (is a spear — this for Punkster). UCE may well be right that the ref completely missed it.

OTOH, in real life, there are always shades of gray. There is also a certain ebb and flow to the game that spectators, no matter how knowledgeable they are, can’t quite appreciate.

It’s ignoring reality to claim referees shouldn’t exercise judgment in how they call penalties or that the ebb and flow shouldn’t influence how a game is called. A trip or a hook that might have been called earlier when the game was scoreless is going to have be blatant to be called late in the third period when it’s 1-1. If tripping were incontrovertible, there would be no need for a penalty for diving.

I’m not going to say I can read the mind of the ref in question. All I’ll say is that while rules try to be objective, their application is inevitably subjective. It’s that subjectivity that we argue about and that the NHL should work to reduce, even though it can’t be completely eliminated.

Even the NFL, despite its efforts, isn’t consistent. There is a lot of subjectivity in calls for pass interference, holding and determining if a receiver has possession. This past weekend, my Packers benefited from such a call — the receiver did not incontrovertibly have possession but a touchdown was ruled. There is no doubt in my mind that the Packers coming in undefeated played a role in that call. Good teams tend to get the benefit of the doubt when that doubt exists on certain calls. That’s a fact of life, not a conspiracy.

I think it would be constructive for the NHL to try to standardize officiating. It would actually take pressure off the referees, who try very hard, I think, not to be perceived as having influenced the game’s outcome. That way, there would be fewer cries of bias or conspiracy on the one hand, and on the other, fewer people yelling “Aw, just let ‘em play.”

23. Mikey_39 says:

To this day I still don’t understand getting rid of Lapierre. He’s the perfect 4th line centerman. He brings energy, gets under other people’s skin, he hits, he can score, and he was an awesome penalty killer when Carbo use to use him on the PK.

Stupid move getting rid of him

• avatar_58 says:

He asked to be traded. He wasn’t happy in that role. (Despite the fact he’s STILL in that role on another team)

• Mikey_39 says:

Ya but it’s only because he was never being played. I remember him being scratched a lot, and when he would play, he was a winger and would barely get any minutes. JM is an idiot for not using him. Now we have to go looking for scraps on the market to fill our fourth line.

• Chrisadiens says:

I don’t remember Lappy being benched/scratched. I could be wrong though. I thought JM took him off the PK and that upset Lappy. He wanted more ice time.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

• avatar_58 says:

Last time I checked 4th lines rarely get ice time. That’s why it’s the 4th line. No scoring touch means you play on the 4th as a grinder/energy role.

Lapierre’s problem is he thought he was more

• likehoy says:

lapierre was the one who asked for a trade
      he didn’t like JM and he got his wish.

- If the NHL was the Wizard of Oz, Cammalleri would be the Cowardly Lion.

• habsnyc says:

He nearly led Montreal in even strength goals scored, and was the favorite player of just about every former Hab. He was one of my favorite players. But then again I had the nerve to like Latendresse, Higgins, Ryder, Ribiero and all these guys the organization actually drafted. I even thought Perzhogin was decent, wanted SK to stay and felt bad when Gainey refused to negotiate during the season and lost a bunch of players.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

• Mikey_39 says:

Sergei is probably the player I was most upset about losing. He’s so talented but they traded him away for NOTHING!

• Cardiac says:

Ryder would be mine. Back to back 30 goals seasons. One off season and he’s gone for nothing. He is on pace again this year for another 30 goals.

- Jerry Maguire

• habsnyc says:

It is as though the organization has no idea why its players succeed or fail. They assume that when the toy stops working it is broken, when all it really needs is a new battery.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

• avatar_58 says:

I liked Ribiero too.

24. Old Bald Bird says:

People see what they want to see. That was a definite spear and completely deliberate. Neil’s dive is another matter.

25. athanor says:

Interesting bit in Hickey’s story on Gill:
    ‘When asked about the keys to the team’s success on the PK, Martin said: “One is aggressiveness, and what’s important is we recognize the situation. And when one man puts pressure, all four put pressure. It’s really a matter of all four players working together.”‘

Makes a body wonder why they don’t try that same aggressiveness when they have the same number of men on the ice.

• Grallis says:

Indeed!

And on the 8th day the Lord said…..let there be the Canadiens

• athanor says:

Of course, even better would be to take that aggressiveness down to the other end of the ice instead of being in a rush to get back and play Kitty bar the door in their own end.

• habsnyc says:

I thought he said “we use our most talented forwards and dmen on the PK, exhausting them for the rest of the game, but we have no intention of scoring 5 on 5, so it really doesn’t matter to us.”

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

Really hope Tinordi makes the U.S. World Jr. squad along with Gallagher, Bournival and Beaulieu making Team Canada. Bonus will be if Pryibyl makes his nation’s team and we get a sneak peek at him.

I am just imagining our blue line in 2 years time with Beaulieu, Tinordi, Emelin, Subban, Gorges, Markov. Lots of physicality and great skaters.

• Cardiac says:

Who’s Markov???

- Jerry Maguire

• Grallis says:

And on the 8th day the Lord said…..let there be the Canadiens

• Bripro says:

PG will have traded PK and Emelin by then, along with two top round draft picks and a bucket of pucks for Kovalchuk. Then he and Gomez can dance hand in hand down St Catherine street.

• Ian Cobb says:

Gerald! I will never miss watching a game, but I do not see us turning things around this year.

But if you look at the job the Hab scouts and drafting department has done over the past 7 years, the future looks very good indeed.! Just hope they can put every thing together before they throw me in the permanent penalty box.

• SeriousFan09 says:

Tinordi I understand holds a very good chance as the US squad is expected to carry a shutdown pair, he and Derek Forbort may fit the bill for that. His previous National Team experience and leadership helps him out, I did read speculation from Buzzing the Net he may be in contention for the captaincy.

As for the Canadian candidates, Gallagher’s obviously the closest to a lock, Beaulieu is considered high probability but not a definite, Bournival was last cut, but being a energy forward is going to have him in competition with a lot of guys who do the same thing he does. Pribyl… who knows really, could be a 50/50 thing with the Czech Roster not being that large.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
      SF09 on Twitter

• habsnyc says:

I remember hearing about the blueline anchored by Markov, Komisarek and Hainsey with Souray blasting home 25 goals a year on the powerplay and Bouillon wrecking anyone within 20 feet of the crease.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

• Cardiac says:

Don’t forget Craig Rivet wearing the “C”!!!

- Jerry Maguire

• G-Man says:

Always did like Bouillon, especially for his big hits.

Souray: 26GF and -28 for the Habs in 2006/07 before he signed with Edmonton. He’s a pylon with a big shot. Can fight, but will probably break his wrists again.

• rhino514 says:

Tinordi is projected as a borderline sixth, or a seventh defenseman. Pretty much no offensive upside. You should be more excited about Dietz , Ellis, and maybe even Bennet. At least one of those guys has a chance to crack the lineup within a couple of years and maybe even be an impact defenceman if they continue to progress.
      The hab´s future is looking good, but not so much because of Tinordi. Still, would be nice if he ever makes top six.

By the end of this year, the best of our rookies will be full fledged NHLers with more experience than most rookies who come into this league. That will go down very large for being a permanent fixture on our roster next year. But at this time, I do not feel they will have much playoff experience, if any.

I feel this is going to be one of these years getting a roster together for next year early, including a lot of movement before the trade deadline. So at least we will be able to watch how to develop and create a new positive structured team that will compete the way we know that they should.

• Cardiac says:

Most rookies will have played more games this season than Markov has played in past two seasons and this season combined .

- Jerry Maguire

• Bripro says:

Does that mean that JM should prepare himself to be traded too, Ian?

• habsnyc says:

I am always impressed with your optimism. But is JM a good teacher for these young players or would they develop better in the AHL?

The roster has four rookies: Diaz, Emelin, Leblanc and St-Denis. Weber was sent down to Hamilton. Ryan White is not technically a rookie and is on IR. There are four veterans on IR: Gomez, Spacek, Markov and Campoli. It would seem to me, that as these veterans return from IR that the rookies will see diminished playing time. So I have very little expectation that any rookie beyond Emelin will develop meaningfully this year. How many games do you expect Diaz, St. Denis or Leblanc to play this year? Do you see them getting meaningful minutes in the games they play? A handful of five minute nights on the fourth line will not make Leblanc a full fledged NHLer.

I totally agree with you that the team should invest its playing time in young players and stop wasting time with veterans who will not be with the team. If we are going to lose, no reason to give those minutes to Moen, Gill, Gionta, Gomez, Nokelanen or Spacek. But JM is going to overplay the veterans to try to back into a playoff spot.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

28. Habitoban says:

I have a confession. I’ve been watching more of the Bruins this year, because I enjoy some of their player (e.g., Thomas, Bergie and Boychuk), and am curious to see how Benny is doing. While tradition dictates that I hate them, and they are a loathsome bunch in so many ways, I have to admit that they play with youthful/reckless exuberance and actually look like they are having fun – unlike our boys who are so damn grim.

• G-Man says:

It’s easy to have fun when there are no repercussions from the league no matter what shit you pull.
      Break someone’s neck? Hockey play.
      Break someone’s back? Hockey play.
      Concuss a goalie? Hockey play.
      Attack players after the whistle? Hockey play.
      Crosscheck players repeatedly and you name is Chara? Hockey play.
      CJ’s Goon Squad™, the Commisioner’s Choice.

29. TOP DAWG says:

Shaker you have no freakin clue.

Price has stopped many many break aways in reg time this season. His shootouts are not great at all BUT Price does his job in regulation to get the team a win. It is not his falut these Pansies can’t score.

“If you’re not the TOP DAWG, the view never changes”

• jimmy shaker says:

True, the scoring has been lacking….but our best player needs to be our best player (which more often than not he has been our best player) but the greasy rebounds leading to goals against are hurting this already fragile team. I know it’s team defense that contributes to the breakdowns and goals against, but as our last line of D and our marquis player, I expect and I’m pretty sure Carey does too….expect more! “To whom much is given, much is expected” I understand a bad goal here and there and the occasional fantastic Nash move, he can’t stop them all, but he’s got to be better. We have to be able to take price off his pedestal once in a while. Seems like nobody else will do that on here. Cammy and gio need a wake up call too……if they ain’t going to be contributing with the offense, then they better not be hurting the team in the d-zone.

Shaker

30. bel33 says:

Oh my God… I just had “conversation” with a couple colleagues who are Leaf fans.
    Wow… they still go on about ’93 like one penalty non-call was the only thing that stopped them from beating the Habs in the Finals.
    That and one said “Now we only have to figure out Boston… and we’re good to go this year.”
    This year SUCKS so far. If you’re not going to Fire the Count or the Goat… then fire the Video Coach… or one of the equipment managers. Someone’s got to join Pearn at home to send that message!!!
    I need more coffee….

31. Cardiac says:

An interesting stat: Only two teams in the league have less regulation time wins than us. Wanna know who? Anaheim and Columbus…

If we can’t find ways to win in the shootout, we’re dead meat.

- Jerry Maguire

• bel33 says:

Stay the course! “Le systeme” will prevail!

“Oh what’s that nurse… time for my less crazy pills? Okay.”

Jesus… make it stop.

• shiram says:

But they are the team with the most Ot losses, gotta love those loser points! (not)

Maybe Markov sometime?

• Cardiac says:

It’s the Molson way! Stay under the radar, eek into the postseason and drink up the profits of at least two more home games!

- Jerry Maguire

• shiram says:

To me it speaks of the constant closeness of matchups the Habs face, they so rarely win by more than one goal, or even lose by more than one goal.
          Would not be so bad if they did not lose nearly 61% of the time.

Maybe Markov sometime?

• Cardiac says:

Are you implying we are a middle of the pack team?

- Jerry Maguire

• shiram says:

I’m saying the Habs are a 0.390 team, not a .500 team.

Maybe Markov sometime?

• habsnyc says:

If the games were close montreal would give up as many points as they get but they give up 30% more points in the standings than they receive. At this rate, Montreal will earn 82 points and give up 106 points.

To me it is not about the matchups but about the style Montreal plays. The opponent, just doesn’t pour it on because they do not need to do much to win.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

32. habsnyc says:

I think the NHL gives very sloppy data in reporting the standings. I want to know two things from the standings. First I want to know how often a team gets points in the standings. Second I want to know how often their opponent gets points in the standings.

For example. the Canadiens have received 28 points in the standings for their wins and ties. Their opponents have received 36 points for wins and ties. Montreal is gaining a point a game but allowing 1.29 points per game. Why does this matter? Because to win, you need to out point other teams in the standings. An overtime win nets only one point and an overtime loss loses only one point. Teams that win in regulation are far superior to teams that win in overtime. For example, the Bruins earned 35 points but allowed only 21 points. Toronto gained 33 points but allowed 30 points.

Another way to look at is an opponent of Montreal has a 68% chance of getting at least one point in the game and only a 32% chance of going home with nothing. Given that Montreal is not a physical team (though they have concussed two opposing players) the league has marked down Montreal as a night off. There is little reason to go all out, because if an opponent can avoid being shut-out, they are almost certainly going to leave with at least one point.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

• Cardiac says:

I agree… the one point for an overtime or shootout loss is extremely deceiving. See my post above. People say, “Hey, we got 4 points out of our last six!” My answer is, “OK, but we only got 6 regulation points out of the last 20.”

- Jerry Maguire

33. Bripro says:

I just saw the freight train going through our neighbourhood.
    There’s a new inscription on it.
    It says “Emelin”.

34. G-Man says:

1 rule for “stars” and another for the rest. NHL needs to change to NBL. B is for Bush.
    The incompetency of the referees this season goes beyond the pale. It’s as if they’re having competition to be the worst ever.
    It’s sad that the NHL cannot recruit better refs and that there isn’t a better apprenticeship program set up. Looks like we’re stuck with total incompetents. Unless….
    I’ve mentioned this before. Get rid of refs on the ice, but keep the linesmen. This will create more room in the offensive zone for both teams. Keep the refs off-ice and have the timekeeping bench blow down the play when there’s a penalty.
    There are too many times when the ref is out of position to make a call. And too many times when the ref is just in the way. Like last week when Pleks was taken out by that idiot ref behind the net, who came out of the corner to whistle the play dead instead of staying in the corner, OUT of the bleeping way.

• Bripro says:

I’d agree with you G if it weren’t for the fact that they’d need to put a ref every 10 feet around the perimeter, otherwise they’d miss as many plays as they miss now.
      There should be an eye in the sky that can call what the on-ice refs miss.
      That doesn’t mean that prima donnas without priors, like Chara and Ovi, will be punished any more than they are now.

• kakey says:

Try telling that to the referee’s union.

35. patience is a virtue says:

Chins up emotionally fragile HIOers! Lights out tankers.

Our boys are bound to rebound and this is the game to do it. If the Habs get hot we may be looking back on the first three games of December and remembering how the team snagged 4 of 6 points despite being in a funk.

36. jimmy shaker says:

If luongo is playin the boys will win, if it’s schneider, then it will be an overtime or shootout loss. No greasy rebounds tonight please Price, and what a move Nash had in that shootout, I think Price is still looking for his pill protector. (just finished watching the game vs bluejackets right now)

Shaker

• TOP DAWG says:

Your are a real gem Shaker …

“If you’re not the TOP DAWG, the view never changes”

• jimmy shaker says:

Just keeping it real…….unlike some on here.

Shaker

• patience is a virtue says:

Exactly. What’s real is that the Habs have bagged 4 out the last 6 available points, despite playing like turds.

I, realistically, expect a turn around and a solid December.

• jimmy shaker says:

I’ll take that and our best player (PRICE) sucking it up on breakaways and in the shootout and giving less and less greasy bounders out to the opposition…….for cammy and gio to stop being minus players, for PK to start bagging some, for JM to use all four lines even in the thrid period. Still in the mix despite this lacklustre spell. Will spaceman and cannoli make a difference in the D? I think not, marky is and will always be the key, especially since MAB left. JM please use the fourth line for more than 4 minutes tonight!

Shaker

37. TommyB says:

@ Un Canadien errant…….is there a rule on name-calling? Or how about just intent to name-call? I wrote that I didn’t think there was a spear given by Ovechkin. Period. And I still don’t believe it was a spear. I didn’t ask for someone to quote the rule to me. I wasn’t disputing the rule. But from now on I will try hard to “learn” from everybody on here, just as you do. And one more thing, this “blowhard” won’t need to resort to calling you names in the process. Have a good day, sir.

38. OakvilleHabsFan says:

Neil on Ovie = suspension
    Ovie on Neil = hockey play

39. Chrisadiens says:

Im excited for tonight. We should see the good Habs tonight since we’re playing a good team. I’m sure a few Canuck jerseys will be in the stands too. Gonna be a fun game.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

So Chris I got to thinking (rarely happens, not much good comes from it) do the Habs play up to the good teams, or do the good teams play down to us?

• Chrisadiens says:

Quite a conundrum there Gerald, hopefully we find the answer in the playoffs.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

• Bripro says:

What? Will that be when the Habs are soul-searching because they’re on the outside looking in?
          Or do you expect a magical turn around.
          An early 11-17 record doesn’t allow for playoff aspirations.

• Chrisadiens says:

I’m still hopeful the Habs can grab the 8 spot. It’s a long season my friend. JM isn’t going anywhere, might as well enjoy the ride.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

• Bripro says:

It would be nice. The problem is they’ve been finishing in the middle of the pack for so long, next year’s draft will be the same as last year, and the year before that. Slim pickings.

Hmmm, so evidently people here now can telepathically tell if the spear delivered by Ovi had any substance to it. Ovechkin while not the size of Neil has strength, I would be more than happy to replicate this spear for posters and then let them tell me if it hurt. (okay, I wouldn’t that was overreaction)

Regardless of whether or not he sucessfully performed a spleen removing surgery or not, he committed an infraction. If the ref did not see it, I can understand no call. If indeed the ref saw the spear and chose to call a dive that is just a clear misrepresentation of the rules. I am no fan of Chris Neil, but am a fan of hockey.

It appears to me Dale Hunter has Ovi playing a game very similar to the one he played. That element (which we have seen before) mixed with Ovi’s talents, the fact that the league wants Ovi to succeed and I think we will see Alex return to his past “gr8tness”.

41. “You don’t play a guy just because of his name anymore, you don’t play a guy just because of his contract.”

Thank you Adam Proteau.

42. Castor says:

Am I the only one who truly hopes my beloved Habs lose? I feel like the more they eek out wins the longer JM’s leash gets. This team is so boring.

(Please read my other posts over the past few years to see I am not a troll or a hater. I love the Habs…but I really really don’t like what they’ve become under JM)

• Habsrule1 says:

I understand what you’re saying. I’m tired of JM too. I don’t really dislike him but I just think we need someone with more emotion and can get more out of this team. As long as they continue to be .500 or so, I don’t see a firing. I’d like to see JM step down (forced) and get someone new in there. The thing is I don’t see that happening until the team is healthy for a bit, so we’re talking February, if the team doesn’t get better.

Go Habs Go!!

• G-Man says:

How “beloved” is that? That’s the same as “I hate you”.
      If the team is so boring, there’s 29 other teams out there. Watch them for entertainment and watch the Habs to suffer. ;)

I cannot speak for others Castor, but while my frustration is high, I still want the victory.

• Bripro says:

How do we know you’re not a troll in a Habs’ suit?

43. Habsrule1 says:

the spear certainly did not look like much to me, but I still think whether it was much of a spear or not, it was a spear. 2 minutes each would have made more sense to me.

Go Habs Go!!

• Un Canadien errant says:

Please refer to the post right below this one, and inform yourself as to what a spear is and what the penalties are. There is no such thing as two minutes for spearing.

———————————
      How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

• Habsrule1 says:

Interesting. That’s tough given how weak the spear seemed…probably put the ref in a tough position. In that case I wouldn’t have given any penalty at all, but how does that makes sense with a guy lying on the ice? It did not deserve a major.
        There should be a 2 minute penalty for spearing for cases like this.

Go Habs Go!!

• TommyB says:

That’s why the refs used their discretion and let it go. And there is no denying that Neil certainly appeared to embelish.

• ABHabsfan says:

A well-aimed spear does not take a lot of force to attain the desired result. Bulls-eye, and even the toughest man goes down

+1 AB, I can’t believe people here don’t think a jab like that can hurt. Ovi is no slouch, would not require much for him to inflict some pain with a good placement as you say.

If the ref wants to add in an embellishment, perhaps, but as has been pointed out by Un Canadien errant, it is an infraction.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I think you’re missing the intent of the rule. Spearing is an inherently dirty play, meant to hurt or even injure an opponent, it’s not something that will happen accidentally like tripping or high-sticking. Once that’s established, the onus shouldn’t be on the ref to decide if it was a major spear or a trifling one, the onus rightly rests on players not to pull that crap. The penalty also serves as a strong deterrent.

The NFL is on the right track with these penalties to reduce dirty play and increase player safety. Grabbing a facemask used to be either a five or fifteen-yard penalty, depending on the severity, which was sometimes difficult for the reffing crew. Now it’s a clearcut fifteen and automatic first down, so the players know not to grab around the helmet. Another example is blows to the head of the quarterback. No matter how innocuous, a blow to the helmet of a QB by a defensive player is a personal foul, also of fifteen yards. If there is an egregious aspect or clear attempt to injure, a player is also tossed out of the game.

I think this is a good rule, and I hope the only reason the ref didn’t impose the appropriate sanctions is that they didn’t see it.

———————————
          How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

• Habsrule1 says:

Gotta agree with you. Very well stated.

Go Habs Go!!

44. Un Canadien errant says:

For those of you who seem to think it’s possible to be partially honest or moderately virginal or extremely unique, I copy below the actual rules which define the act of spearing in the NHL and the penalties attached to its commission.

Rule 62 – Spearing

———————————
    How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

45. howtathor says:

The Habs will win the cup in 2 years:

Gallagher Plekanec Cammalleri
    Cole Desharnais Pacioretty
    Leblanc Eller Kostitsyn
    White Nokelainen Palushaj

Subban Gorges
    Markov Emelin
    Beaulieu Tinordi

Price

46. TommyB says:

If that’s a spear, hockey’s really become a bad joke.

• howtathor says:

The dive was a good call, the kind of thing you expect from Chris Neil.

• Un Canadien errant says:

It is a spear. Applying the rules and getting the garbage out of the game is not a ‘bad joke’. Brad Marchand not getting penalized for ‘lightly’ punching Daniel Sedin in the head, repeatedly, that’s a bad joke. The Bruins marching by the penalty box to the Starley Cup, that’s the bad joke.

———————————
      How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

• TommyB says:

Ovie barely touched Neil. If that’s a spear in your opinion, you are entitled to it. Trying to put it in the same context as the other examples you mentioned, is a stretch. And that’s my opinion.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Your opinion is poorly informed, and therefore erroneous. We pride ourselves as Canadiens fans for being very knowledgeable, but the posts I have seen today are nonsensical. You’re sitting at your computer, take a minute and do some research.

You can refer to my post at 08:26 hr and read the actual rule, instead of pulling a Stephen Colbert and relying on your gut.

———————————
          How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

• TommyB says:

Ohhhhhhh, you do research! Good for you. You get my vote for most knowledgable fan. I feel so humbled to have been “corrected” by you.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Tommy, buddy, you can choose to be a blowhard and spout nonsense, or you can accept that you made a mistake and learn from other posters. I do it all the time, I’ve learned so much since I’ve been visiting this site, people point out the flaws in my reasoning all the time and I’m better for it.

———————————
            How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

• ABHabsfan says:

How you react to a “light” spear in the plums?

• Kooch7800 says:

it was a weak spear but it is dirty. as a kid playing spearing is a major no no. Ovechkin has always been dirty and will continue to be so. Beacuse it is Ovie he won’t get suspended.

47. hansolo says:

Canucks are a good team by whatever measure: points, wins, goal differential, and yes, even Fenwick and Corsi stats. They’re riding an 8-2 streak in their last 10. The game will be a good test for the Habs. Time to invoke Mr. Boone’s reverse jinx and to start being “very afraid.”

As to Ovechkin’s spear, it seemed fairly innocuous to me and I can see why the ref might have been skeptical that Neil was hurt. Neil isn’t a diver, though, at least not by what I read about him, and I’m surprised his first reaction wasn’t to beat the snot out of Ovie. Perhaps that surprised the ref, too.

Just goes to show officiating is less about a bias for or against one team or a player and more about perception by a given individual. It would be nice if the NHL tried to standardize officiating like the NFL has.

48. TOP DAWG says:

The NBHL big name stars are exempt from punnishment

“If you’re not the TOP DAWG, the view never changes”

Ovie gave Neil a love tap.

Is the NHL run by girlie men?

• Un Canadien errant says:

A spear is a spear. If the refs had seen it, they shouldn’t have to divine if Mr. Ovechkin delivered a tap or hit Chris Neil as hard as he could. Certainly Mr. Shanahan shouldn’t have to either. If you hit someone in the belly with your stick blade, that’s a spear and you should sit in the box, same as if you hook someone ‘lightly’, or you ‘barely’ trip someone, or gently elbow them in the head.

———————————
      How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

50. TomNickle says:

He makes a ton of money owning this team.

We won’t know his true intentions until this team struggles with a full compliment of healthy players.

51. Habfan4lfe says:

I hear ya Anti JM. It’s sad to see a franchise like Montreal having the worst there is in management and coaching. I guess we just have to hope that Geoff does have a brain and his interests are not just beer sales.

52. Propwash says:

Do you have the figures to prove that the Molson Brand is taking a beating, or is this speculation?

_____________________________
    Being negative has its advantages,
    you’re never disappointed.

53. G-Man says:

Yeah, Coors-Molson actually cares. Wow.
    Maybe, you should send him an e-mail and not post this tripe here?

54. J_P says:

Pretty sure only 20% of the habs is actually owned by the molson brand, and the other 80% is owned by the molson family personally and their financiers.

Also, Molson makes a boatload of money off the habs, you know, seeing as we sell out that arena every single night and are paying the highest beer price in the entire league. You are correct though that Molson-Coors(NYSE: TAP) has taken a beating over the last year, although I am certain it has nothing to do with Jacques Martin and his coaching of the Montreal Canadiens.

55. G-Man says:

Don’t reply, maybe the mentally challenged troll will go away.

56. TomNickle says:

Your first sentence is a joke. Cole is a hitting machine. Pacioretty and Eller always finish their checks.

Gauthier can’t add a full roster of big, aggressive forward overnight. He recognized a long time ago that the team needed players like this and has added them and may continue to add more.

57. vivsterjuve88 says:

sounds like you’re talking about chris neil then, dropping gloves, skating, being tough, chipping in goals… I may be alone here but 6 chris neils as our two top lines sounds more depressing than what we already have

58. habfan53 says:

It’s not the fans that want a French / blingual coach it is the media.
    But if we dump JM who do you replace him with??

Either one of the assistants no thanks
    Randy Carlyle Good choice
    Bob Hartly Bilingual AND a winner
    Marc Crawford Let him stay at TSN
    Patrick Roy I’ll become a Leaf fan
    Guy Carbonneau A 2nd time around ??

59. Hab-Q says:

Should appoint L’Antichambre panel as associate coaches- Chantal included!

______________________________________________________
    “I went to a fight the other night and a hockey game broke out”

~Rodney Dangerfield

60. G-Man says:

Bunk. ALL COACHES are defence first.

61. G-Man says:

Go tank yourself.

62. athanor says:

A habologist sounds more like someone who makes a scientific study of the habs. Maybe try something equally lame, but not as confusing, such as haboholic

63. ed lopaz says:

some coaches believe in an aggressive forecheck, with 2 forwards driving towards the opponent defence on the shoot in.

that creates offence and scoring opportunities.

Max and Cole and AK 46 would be well suited to this approach.

Even Gionta and Eller also can be very effective forechecker.

Moen and our entire 4th line should be able to put pressure on opponent defences as well.

But they don’t. They forecheck with 1 man, and sit back in the neutral zone looking to force a give away 100 feet from the opponent net.

So if you think a 2 man forechecking scheme means we can not play good team defence, then I guess you and Martin are in total agreement.

Some of us believe that this team can still play defence, but we need to pressure the puck more and force the other teams defence deeper in their zone – not just in the neutral zone.

is that also “BUNK”??