Canadiens draft Jarred Tinordi

Pierre Gauthier trades up five spots to pick a big – 6’6″, projected to go to 230 lbs – defenceman who has impeccable bloodlines and was captain of the U.S. Under-18 national development team.

, the son of former NHLer Mark Tinordi, turned 18 in February.

Scouting reports laud a kid with size and the inclination to use it. Tinordi can skate and has a hard shot.

He is supposed to go to the University of Notre Dame this autumn. But Tinordi’s junior rights belong to the London Knights, and the Canadiens may wish to guide him toward a first-rate OHL organization and the coaching of Dale Hunter.

badly did the Canadiens want Tinordi?

To move up from 27 to 22,
the Canadiens surrendered their second-round pick.

The Vancouver
Canucks conditionally traded their pick, at 25, to Florida but would
have kept it if Tinordi were still available.

DRAFT AUDIO: Jarred Tinordi | Mark Tinordi | Guy Boucher

The Hockey News says Tinordi “is a better skater than his father was,
but both share an ability to play with an edge …

A scout said
“When he plays a physical, nasty, pass-first game, he’s as good as there
is. But when he starts to dangle, his warts show.

Another scout
compared Tinordi favourably to Robyn Regehr.

McKeen’s draft guide
says Tinordia is “the most physically ready of all USA NHL draft
eligible prospects.”

“Tinordi completes the package with a mean
streak and strong mobility. He is smooth moving backwards while not
sacrificing speed..

“He has healthy levels of speed while moving
forward and laterally while being mindful of his gap control and can
angle opponents to the boards and rub them out.

“Tinordi is not a
natural puck-rusher, but he can execute first passes with alarming
accuracy. He did great job improving his puck skills from the beginning
of the year by keeping his head up and showing more patience with it.

captain was the first to protect his teammates and did not back down
from any physical confrontations this season.

“Tinordi is a great
defence partner for a smaller, offensive-minded defender (like Mac
Bennett?) He can stay with plays, amke good outlet passes and bodyguard
when necessary.”

The influential Red Line Report says:

“Massive stay-at-home rearguard with excellent character,
bloodlines, and leadership. Dependable, shutdown defender, always thinks
defense-first, and his crease coverage is among the best of this class –
colossal frame and nasty disposition form an impenetrable barrier
between opponents and his goalie.

“Readily protects teammates and will
drop the gloves. Reads and reacts to plays well at the defensive end.
Effectively closes his man off to the wall and staples him there. Only
has one gear, but shows functional mobility for a big man.

“Uses long
stick/reach to break up lots of passes. Settles things down when team
gets in trouble in its own end. Difficult to beat in 1-on-1 situations
down low in puck battles or off the rush. Has no offensive upside but
avoids costly errors and makes safe, simple plays.”

Kurt Kleinendorst, Tinordi’s coach with the U.S. under-18 development team, says: “To me, a captain is a captain — I don’t care if you’re 17 or 35 years

“I’ve been very careful with Jarred and have
let him know that, while I understand he’s just 17, there are certain
things I’m going to expect from him and he’s been unbelievable. The way
he carries himself and the respect that the guys have for him in the
locker room has been great.”

A less enthusiastic scout’s assessment:

Tinordi has all the intangibles that would excite any scout.  He’s huge
and has great leadership abilities as he is wearing the “C”.  Tinordi
also seemed aware on the ice and has good hockey sense….defensively.
Offensively, Tinordi struggled on the point as well.  In addition to the
blocked shots, Tinordi clearly does not have the agility that his
fellow defenseman have.  Tinordi is an awkward skater without good
balance and footwork.  He will need to improve upon his skating and puck
skills when he’s at Notre Dame.  He’s clearly a project that if he
works out, will be a force on an NHL blueline.  There is just a lot of
work to be done.

1. Bill J says:

Since he’s your man, maybe time to point out the proper spelling of his last name.

2. Clay4bc says:

Andrew, that remains to be seen. But we know that Halak is ready NOW, don’t we? And even if this young man (Eller) is great, so what? What did PG do to address our glaring need for a real NHL quality goaltender – a deficiency that he created, I might add. If Price is so great, why did he not play in the playoffs? Answer – because Halak is far and away the better goalie. Funny to see Sergei mention it in his interview. Classless for a player to say about his teammate (SK is kind of an idiot), but we all know it’s the truth, and likely what the rest of the players are thinking.

“Peoples will only be truly free when the last king is strangled by the bowels of the last priest” Denis Diderot

3. _Habsoloutly_ says:

it’s not your fault your old and fat bugs!

4. andrewberkshire says:

Almost nothing being one of the most highly touted NHL ready prospects in the NHL.

5. Clay4bc says:

6. Clay4bc says:

PG is certainly not doing a “great” job as GM – he just traded a great goalie for almost nothing, and left us with Price in net.

7. G-Man says:

2-3 seasons and maybe. Big guys take longer unless they are superb skaters. TInordi isn’t…yet. Give him time and he can join O’Byrne as the young Towers of Power on the Habs D.

8. avatar_58 says:

Good call! I didn’t notice…oops

9. crabvader says:

Heh, Tinordi might get mentored by Dale Hunter. I’ll take that anyday.

10. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Good move. Great pick.

11. Bugs says:

We didn’t draft MARK; we drafted his son.

…connection, he says…

Stay in Toranna, Tony; we got everything covered here, thanks.

Keepin it real, I be chillin as

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Brotha to the Man with the Plan, Product-runnin Lead Houndogg with the Voodoo Flannel Posse, and Pimp Extraordinaire of Habsbros Mama Jones Snow Cones, muthafugga:

12. likehoy says:

deal a prospect + 4th to get a 2nd…only way i can see it getting done

do we feel our prospect will be better than the 2nd rounder or not? that’s the bottom line.

13. ed lopaz says:

I have to say I love the pick.

EXACTLY what I (and many others here) have been hoping for: character + size+  talent

This guy is the “anti” Khabanov.

Teams win when they have players like this.

And, this continues a fine trend from last year.

I can tell you first hand – Louis Leblanc has the same strength of character.

Maybe I was too quick to judge Gauthier.

Maybe he gets it.

If you want to build a winning team, ever player has to be on the same page.

Now, get rid of the Tits brothers, and get us a few more picks, please!!

14. GrimJim says:

Total hottie, the red-head in the Hyundai commercial

15. Jbird says:

One year in London or Notre Dame then a year in the Hammer then montreal – more like 2 years and 3 months.

16. WarHero says:

Could be 🙂 I was hoping for Gionta myself. Georges might have also been there due to Tinordi being a d-man.

17. Bugs says:

Might be in the minority here but I’m kinda disappointed in this pick.

They shoulda gone for ME! The only reason they didn’t was that my girdle snapped and my gut fell out during the interview. That wasn’t my fault; it was Bodyshapers!

Keepin it real, I be chillin as

18. adam76 says:

somehow – I will sleep tonight.

19. Bugs says:

You KNOW she beat out a ton of qualified anchors to get the job, right?

Keepin it real, I be chillin as

20. adam76 says:

I have to say, I love Kate Beirness

21. adam76 says:

He should be – would be pumped to see him with the C.

22. SmartDog says:

There’s a lot of logic to this pick I like.

Not only is he big, gritty, a good passer, responsible, a leader, and can “rub out attackers” (THAT’s what we NEED more of!) but to say he’s “the most physically ready of all USA NHL draft eligible prospects”  means he’ll hopefully develop sooner and not later.

Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop.

23. Tis Himself says:

This was a solid pick and a much-better one than I would have hoped for. And, he’s going to get top-notch coaching at Notre Dame. This is not the second coming of David Fischer.

24. pmaraw says:

he says he’ll be ready in 3 years???

25. novahab says:

The draft is not over yet PG could pull some more rabbits out of his hat.

26. krob1000 says:

Damn…..I wanted Kreider last year and Etem this year.  I like Tinordi from what I read and knowing his Dad had a heart the size of the Prairies but I would love another pick real soon…..

27. krob1000 says:

Was projected right around where we got him…..he is years away from playing coming out of US hockey…probably 1 year at notre dame, one year in hamilton and then hopefully he can make the big club… way he plays next year and not likely the season after unless we are really hurting on the backend due to injury.

28. novahab says:

Tinordi may has grown up in the states but his blood line says he a western Canadian boy with a mean streak I say this could be the steal of the draft.  PG is doing a great job as the GM all he needs now is for Leblanc to be our next Lafleur and bring that dam cup back where its belongs.

29. ProHabs says:

I was hoping PG was going to trade the first round pick 27 to Florida for both of there early second round picks (both between 30-37) as I like those players that are still available as well as Alex Petrovik and Pitlick. However I am happy with Tinordi.

30. Hamayoune says:

This looks like we have a prospect other than you-know-who to hype about. Let’s hope we give him time to develop although I, myself, want him to make the big jump next year.

Can someone here tell me why he was still available this late in the first round? (i.e. were there better defencemen or was it a steal?)

31. krob1000 says:

There are some uazlity players left on that board and I would love to get another pick ASAP and try and get MCfarland, Etem or even KAbanov…they are all high ceiling guys with question marks…but they are all potential steals and I too am a little disappointed we couldn;t move one of our assets but it is still early so maybe something goes down tomorrow but you never know how the Habs rankings went…maybe all of their top picks are gone and they aren;t interested in the guys I mentioned….I just think all of them have something to prove and I would bet that at least one of them turns into a 30 goal guy some day.

32. Keith says:

“The captain was the first to protect his teammates and did not back down from any physical confrontations this season.” This is EXACTLY the type of player the Habs need going forward.

33. likehoy says:

anyone else disappointed we no longer have a 2nd round pick? 2nd rounders is where we go to work!

34. SeriousFan09 says:

Bold move to jump five spots, but Tinordi is credited with being an exceptional leader and a strong shutdown defencemen with great size, he could be a pillar on the back end for years. I like the move to add not just a strong blueliner, but one with leadership qualities as well.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

35. krob1000 says:

I sure wold like us to move someone to get a second pick right about now…..with a few guys left who I find really interesting….like Mcfarland, Etem, Kabanov ….. all three of these guys interest me…Ka banov is the most talented elft, Mcfarland has something to prove after slipping and Etem has a natural goal scoring ability and is one of the fastest guys in the draft…..speed is completely unteachable so that one always interests me….anyone with genuine speed can be an NHler player, sometimes they ahve to adapt and become checkers, pk gus,etc but more often than not they at least become NHlers….combine speed with Hands…yikes…..I think I would really like to get that Etem kid the more I think about it.  What do we have to offer up to get an early second pick.

36. habsfan321 says:

Random facts about Tinordi:

NHL Team: Washington Capitals
    NHL Player: Nicklas Backstrom
    Shootout move: “Backhand toe drag”
    Video Game: Call of Duty
    Movie: Blood Diamond
    TV Show: The Office
    Actress: Megan Fox
    Music Artist: Notorious B.I.G.
    Book: “Playing With Fire” by Theo Fleury
    Home-cooked meal: Casserole
    Activities away from the rink: Xbox, Basketball

37. TripleX says:

That would be another good move by PG.  Gorges is the obvious choice to be captain as he has all the qualities a Montreal Canadiens  captain should have.

“Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement.”

38. Jbird says:

That is what I’m thinking.

39. TripleX says:

If only the BIG BIRD was along to mentor PK Suban, O’Byrne and Tinordi.

40. TomNickle says:

This may be premature, but Josh Gorges at the draft table.

I don’t think it would be outlandish to suggest that he’s your next captain Hab fans.

41. Jbird says:

Seems like the only player at the Habs table is my man (and yours) Josh Georges.

42. TripleX says:

We won’t know for years if the gamble works out but I like that PG made the move.  What a welcome change from the last GM.

Even the trade of my favorite player showed a GM with decisiveness and a willingness to make tough moves that are up for debate.  The easiest and safest move is to do nothing.  To make a decision means you are willing to be judged on it’s merits.

I could have been wrong about PG being simply a clone of Bob.  I hope so because I really want a winner in Montreal.

43. krob1000 says:

HE;s a Tinordi so you can bet your ass he’ll have heart…….most reports say he needs more technical work on his skating and has very limited offense upside.  I think he is being drafted as a Rick Green type of guy to play with Markov or Subban to allow them some space.  His size is very O’Byrnish and thus far so his scouting report… will beinteresting because with his size if he can quickly adapt to forwards peed and the pace of the mental game at higher levels he could be ready in 2/3 seasons with his size.  Likely one year at Notre Dame, one year with the Bulldogs and then showtime.

44. deuce6 says:

Gill, O’Byrne, and Tinordi..OB is the shortest at 6’5″

45. ProHabs says:

Yes, hire his dad to be our defence coach and lets see this kid play for the Habs next year.

46. habs-hampton says:

Size matters!

and his father is Canadian (Red Deer) , so that’s where the bloodlines come from!

47. deuce6 says:

Well, if he is as half as good at what his father brought to the table, he is a heck of a pick….I always like Mark Tinordi..He played the game how it was meant to be played..With heart and a tonne of grit…

48. sh00n says:

He’s actually 6’6”. Absolute beast. I hope Hal is still with the team by the time Tinordi gets up to the big leagues.

49. deuce6 says:

I could be wrong, but I believe he 6’6″ 207lbs..He looked a heck of a lot taller than 6’3″ on the

Great pick for a good prospect with a great pedigree..Can’t question this one..Hockey will get a heck of a lot more greasy in our end of the rink for the opposition, that’s for sure..

50. crabvader says:

That’s what he’s most praised for aside from his stature. He’s a leader.

51. takuto97 says:

Agreed, agreed, agreed. This kid will become a major leader, is tough as nails, with size, and has the solid character that PG (or BG behind the scenes, if you like….BG= Bob Gainey in the Back Ground) seem to be slowly but steadily accumulating in the dressing room and on the ice. An absolute winner!

52. Xtrahabsfan says:

Wow a big hockey player….but does he habs a big heart,eh?

Trackbacks for this post