Canadiens celebrate rivalry with Red Wings

Tuesday’s Canadiens-Detroit Red Wings game will be preceded by a tribute to the 81-year rivalry between the two Original Six clubs.

The Red Wings are expected to be represented by legends Gordie Howe, Ted Lindsay, Alex Delvecchio, Marcel Pronovost and Marcel Dionne. The Canadiens are expected to have icons Jean Béliveau and Dickie Moore taking part, with Jean-Guy Talbot, Stéphane Richer and Claude Lemieux.

For those attending the game: note that the on-ice ceremony begins at 6:30 p.m., an hour before the opening faceoff.

Canadiens’ press release on the event:

1. TommyB says:

I hear ya, and I wish it was Friday night. I have no excuse to get away from the TV tonight, so I guess my morbid curiosity will win out over better judgement.

2. cautiousoptimist says:

Make sure you bring your stick, come to play, and give it 110%.

3. Robert L says:

Yeats – You got the deed to the Brooklyn Bridge? I knew you were a sharp guy!

I’m afraid to see what will happen tomorrow. Might try the Yogi Berra method, and watch it on the radio!

4. Yeats says:

My brother Charlie and I are doing a Roberto Duran as far as tomorrow night is concerned. We’re just throwing in the towel, yelling no mas and heading off to pickup. We may truely suck, but at least we have some control over it. We’re fourth liners who will at least give an honest effort. The Habs suck and there is nothing we can do but shake our heads and get loaded watching them. For the good of our livers, we’ll take a pass on tomorrow night.

5. Gilles Poisson says:

Maybe you went to a better schoolhouse than me but Madam Poisson did not raise a fool. Thank you.

6. krob1000 says:

We truly are one of the classiest organizations around. I can’t imagine any other team doing anything like this. It also couldn’t be timed better following an off season in which it became apparent that modern day players have forgotten or are unaware that it is a privilege to wear a Canadiens jersey. I don’t understand why a superstar wouldn’t want to come here (well I guess I do,…taxes, media harassment,etc). At the same time though the next superstar here will be held in such high esteem that any benfits should outweigh the negatives in the long term. I understood Briere because he would have had superstar pressure without superstar talent.

If (BIG IF) we did get an attention loving guy like Ovechkin or a guy as talented as Lecavelier they would achieve Beatles status in Quebec, Canada…well worldwide (Northern Hemisphere anyway) and from there the opportunities would be endless (marketing and endorsements,etc). What these players in recent generations have yet to figure out is that in the new business first NHL of the last 15 years there has not been a true hero in Montreal ( leagues most storied franchise ) to reap the rewards that would come with the pressure. Even the Hab-nots of this world still respect Guy Lafleur, John Beliveau, Maurice Richard, Patrick Roy, Ken Dryden, Larry Robinson,etc,etc,etc,etc,etc………..etc. There is a magic in Montreal and any team gets excited when they play the Canadiens or even Leafs, Wings or Bruins for that matter.

Applicants who wish to establish a great legacy in this sport and be remembered fifty years from now should be lining up for the chance to play in Montreal. The only prerequisites for the position will be superstar ability, superstar production, incredible pressure handling ability, exceptional leadership qualities, outgoing and honest personality and the willingness to take a few French night courses. In my estimation there are about five legitimate candidates (Ovechkin, Lecavelier, Crosby,…..well maybe there are only three) for the position of future Legend and folk hero all of whom should be very interested. The good news is that two of those guys are rumoured to possibly be available or show interest in the position and the other grew up a Habs fan.

7. krob1000 says:

Sorry, I must have been sleeptyping. I just awoke sitting at my computer. Hell of a dream though.

Well said. My only point is that I don’t want to trade for any of these guys because the return package would dismantle the team and we would be in the wilderness for five years while we try to restock and build around the new icon. HOWEVER, I would love to see us try and sign one of them as an unrestricted free agent. Unfortunately, it would appear that all the really great players (Heatley, Thornton, Iginla) are resigning with their present teams while the second tier stars (Briere, Savard, Smyth) sign for more than they’re worth. Hell, even guys who aren’t stars (Gomez, Drury, Timonen) sign for a bundle. Crosby is basically gone for a while with his contract extension. Ovechkin is restricted (I can live with that if I have to) and is super talented, I just hope he’s not another self-centred Russian who will put himself above the team and the game (paging Mr. Yashin). Soooo Krob, what I’m really saying is that we hang tight until next summer (2009) and if he’s available then we give Lecavelier the cap max – which is 20% of the cap. He’s the highest paid player in the world, he’s our new captain, and he’s the poster boy of Quebec. Where does the money come from? Koivu and Kovalev are not resigned. Dandy and Bouillon are not resigned and replaced with kids. We still have the main cogs in place and Lecavelier is in his prime. Start lining the parade route.

9. Gilles Poisson says:

I will be there to cheer for Stephane and Claude. I am guaranteeing the win. I can’t wait to see what coach Guy has in the store for us tomorrow. I liked the last lines so I hope he sticks with our guns. Begin and Tom “Le Bombe” are great players, no doubt about it, but in their last 2 games they had 0 hits. People are mad at coach Guy for sitting them on the bench and that makes me sad. Grabs needs to have some ice too. He is part of the great future that Bob and Timmins have made and I know from looking at some of the noms de plume of the analysts here that he is a favourite. I expect a big game from Brisebois. Also it will be fun to watch the number one line ripen together. I have to admit… one of the hockey analysts here, a mustachioed fellow, forget his name, he used to always say that Smolinski should be on the number one line. I thought he was a fool and now voila… who is the fool now? Thank you.

10. Yeats says:

Have you been watching any of the recent games? Even radio could not mask the ineptitude of the current squad. Please, foward me $1,000 and I will give you the deed to the Brooklyn Bridge with all associated toll rights.

11. WindsorHab-10 says:

The best way for the Canadiens to celebrate this rivalry, as far as we, the fans, are concerned is to come out, play 60 minutes and win the game. If this team can’t get up and be ready for the Wings, then oh well.

12. WindsorHab-10 says:

Funny you should mention that because the same thing went through my mind. Hopefully the results will be different.

No Yzerman? No Lafleur? As for the Chicago ceremony in January, I wonder if Bobby Hull will be there. Has he patched things up with the Blackhawks? He’s their best player of all time and probably the best left winger of all time as well. It was a sad day when they let him go because of shortsightedness on the part of management and ownership.

14. krob1000 says:

Sounds good to me.

15. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

it would be great if RICHER could suit up for us tomorrow night…I’m sure Hammer will lend him his shirt back.

the man had a better rocket than Souray…for those that remember.

16. coutNY says:

He did have a cannon… I remeber watching a game that showed a pre-game warm-up where Stephan was practicing slapshots from center ice and shattered the end board glass with a blast.

17. saskhab says:

Good thing Draper’s hurt, or else he might jump Claude Lemieux when he hits the ice. lol

18. Y says:

I’m shocked that Patrick, Mario, and Ronald won’t be there ;)