Canadiens call up Jacob de la Rose from AHL, send down Sven Andrighetto and Daniel Carr

0204 spt nhl canadiens 0433

STU COWAN
MONTREAL GAZETTE

The Canadiens announced before practice Friday morning in Brossard that they have called up Jacob de la Rose from the AHL’s St. John’s IceCaps, while sending down Sven Andrighetto and Daniel Carr.

De la Rose has played 24 games with the IceCaps this season, scoring two goals and adding seven assists. The 20-year-old will meet the Canadiens in St. Louis, where they will play the Blues Saturday night (7 p.m., SN, TVA Sports, TSN Radio 690).

In 17 games with the Canadiens after being called up from the AHL, Carr had five goals and two assists. Andrighetto, who has been up and down all season between Montreal and St. John’s, has four goals and one assist in 17 games with the Canadiens.

The Canadiens held an optional skate in Brossard at 11 a.m. before the team headed to the airport for a flight to St. Louis.

The decision to send down Carr comes as a surprise since he is one of the few Canadiens players who has shown a willingness to consistently go to the dirty areas in front of the opposition net to score goals. During Thursday’s 2-1 loss to the Chicago Blackhawks he created energy on the fourth line with Torrey Mitchell and Brian Flynn. Carr had three shots on goal in only 10:48 of ice time and the line combined for seven shots, with Mitchell and Flynn both getting two.

When asked Friday morning if he thought Carr’s game had slipped a bit, coach Michel Therrien said: “A little bit. It’s normal. Most of the time, especially when you get called up (to the NHL) the first time, you’re so excited. What is tough for young kids is not making the NHL, but to maintain the emotion. But it’s a process. He did really good. We’re really pleased with what we saw.”

As for de la Rose, Therrien said: “In that case, he’s got size. He skates really, really well. He’s a good skater and the role that we’re going to give him, we think we’re going to have more heavy players on the fourth line.”

Therrien said de la Rose would definitely be in the lineup Saturday night. Dale Weise, who has been sidelined with an upper-body injury (it’s to his right hand) took part in the optional skate Friday and could play Saturday if he gets medical clearance.

Mike Condon will start in goal against the Blues.

Carey Price skated alone for the fifth straight day before the team’s optional practice, but wasn’t wearing his goalie equipment. The team has said the goaltender won’t return from his lower-body injury — which has sidelined him since Nov. 25 — until at least after the all-star break at the end of this month.

(Photo by Allen McInnis/Montreal Gazette)

1. rabidhab says:

This has got to be” take your kid to work day” and MBs kid is having a field day with the Old Mans phone , right???

2. New says:

Ha…ha…ha…and I thought it could not possibly get worse.

3. ooder says:

lol what?! What a useless trade

4. on2ndthought says:

Only player involved in all this movement is Tinordi.

Stefan Fournier current status:In the minors
    #86 RW | 6’3″, 205 lbs. | Montreal (Arizona)

“a cannonading drive”

5. Habitant in Surrey says:

Let’s look on the brite-side –at least We’ll have another All-Star.

6. Ghosts of the Forum says:

I guess, if Tinordi doesn’t turn into anything, this really has zero consequence on anything.

We do, myself included, tend to overvalue our own players. Maybe no one in the league is much interested in Tinordi. Rather than let him go for nothing on waivers, you get a guy who can help the farm team, I guess.

I haven’t looked, but if he saved any cap space, that’s a good thing too. Man, I miss CapGeek.

Anyway, that’s my attempt at glass half full. Looking at it from that perspective, the mistake was not this trade, but drafting Tinordi in the first round. And trading to move up to get that pick.

7. Marek says:

by doing this doesn’t MB free up around 300k towards the cap?

8. Dust says:

fournier is the other player habs trade

9. bwoar says:

WE got the biggest, nastiest SOB in the league. I say we play him, and especially vs. Boston, Philly, etc.

C’mon, why not? He’s only marginally worse at hockey than Tinordi, and a much better fighter. This can only be a good thing.

10. Hockey Bob says:

MB is channelling Mike Milbury.

11. on2ndthought says:

We give up a minor leaguer as well. Scratching my head…

And for those celebrating, this is not a tank; this is an anti-tank. In a tank you get rid of older players and play your youth. We could play Tiny for two years while we tank and trade for youth and picks. Scott and Bartley are not that. Hopefully this is about improving StJs, but I don’t see how.

“a cannonading drive”

• Un Canadien errant says:

Agreed. You play Jarred and live with his mistakes, that’s the long-term move. Trading vets for picks and prospects is the long-term move, not this.

12. Habfan17 says:

Has anybody told Bergevin that fighting is down and goons are not needed anymore? 33 year old and a 27 year old d-man that is on the Nashville roster which means that Barberio may get sent back to the Rock. What a head scratcher! Not sure what gives. Maybe Therrien said to Bergevin, get me a huge pylon to put in front of the net on the PP, That is what we need and presto, a 2nd a 1st round pick, Tinordi, plus a minor league player, become an 8th or 9th defenceman, released by Vancouver in 2006 and free pick up by Nashville and a 33 year old, 4th liner. This will really help the offence!!!

Habfan17

13. Bim says:

Boy this is friggin terrible. I feel embarrased as a Habs fan. This has probably set the club back 20 years. What little credibility management did have has now instantatly gone out the window. I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised if they lose to the Hawks now on Sunday by about 10-1. Is MB joining Dale Tallon in Florida? This makes the Gomez deal look like a world beater.

14. cautiousoptimist says:

Press release finally posted: http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=797849&navid=DL|MTL|home

“Daneyko got mad when Kaminski said he was going to knock his teeth out. Dano has only two teeth left, so you can’t say that to Dano.” -Jacques Lemaire

15. tonyhabsfan says:

I’m not a GM, (thank your lucky star Lars…) but I fail to see the pluses to trading away horribly mishandled potential for some re-tread never was/will be’s, why can’t we send a message to pretty much 10 of our top? 12 and send down/away Plekanec, Desharnais, and yes, Eller???

Habs fan- the very definition of insanity for 20+years…..

16. Habitant in Surrey says:

I was going to come in here and grunt has Marc Bergevin lost His mind.

But it seems, looking below, I would only sound redundant.

So, I won’t.

• New says:

Relax. All part of MB’s secret plan to trade the entire Montreal Canadiens for the entire Buffalo Sabres team, circa 2012.

Wait and see what else he does.

17. rabidhab says:

Bergevin must be drunk !!!

18. Ghosts of the Forum says:

MB has spent weeks on this. Hours out of his day. On this. Not scouting. Not looking at other players. But on this.

Even if he spent 1 hour a week prepping this deal for three weeks, that’s about 2.5 hours more than he should have.

19. Luke says:

Fournier is the +1 in this orgy of hate.

20. Cal says:

I could be wrong, but I have a strong feeling this is Timo’s birthday.

21. The Puckhound says:

Bergevin has been on the GM job for 3 plus years and still needs training on making trades!
    Another great hockey trade!

I can’t wait for Pierre McGuire to talk about this one?

Forever #4

22. habs-fan-84 says:

Jay Feaster is that you?

23. on2ndthought says:

I’m waiting to see if Scott (and/or Bartley) is brought up, or sent to StJ’s.

“a cannonading drive”

24. Danno says:

This is around the time my alarm sounds and I wake up in a cold sweat and say: “Wow! What a weird nightmare that was!”

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

25. The Gumper says:

I don’t even know what to say anymore.
    In my fifty or so years of being a fan, I never even dreamed of such a disaster. Unbelievable…

26. VOCM1 says:

For whatever reason Tiny was not going to play or stick with the Habs – end of story. He is not the first time a first round pick did not work out with any one the 30 teams and not likely to be last one. He was only on the roster because they were afraid he would not get through the waiver to go to St. John’s and they would get nothing for him – this was the main reason that Jacob DL was sent down (however they did not plan on him being injured). This is just an AHL deal and gets Tiny away from Montreal and 2 contracts move each way.

27. Thomas Le Fan says:

Not much of a trade but people on this site way over value Tinordi. That’s apparent. Scott can at least win a fight, can’t he? He’s certainly no more useless than DSP, no? I’d call him up and have him protect Gallagher. WTF? No biggie and we got an ALL STAR, after all. 😉

When everyone’s thinking the same … it’s likely no one’s thinking at all.

28. habs001 says:

Wow i hear we got an all star forward…Finally we have scoring….

29. Luke says:

And a minor league?
    McCarron?

30. D Mex says:

TSN690 has quoted Dreger as reporting that this took weeks to put together.
    I’m going for a walk.

ALWAYS Habs –
    D Mex

31. habs-fan-84 says:

Or better yet, picked them up on waivers not too long ago.

32. wildwilly says:

I’d say this is the biggest crisis in MB’s career to date. I still think he’s the right man for the job. He always spun something from nothing but this looks like he got nothing for something his time.

33. Cal says:

Anyone feel that Patches for Chara trade coming on?

34. theox_8 says:

Well we are the laughing stock of my job site after acquiring John Scott great will never live this one down .

• D Mex says:

You can quote Nilan that Scott is coming here to protect Galchenyuk from his girlfriend. Maybe that will help … or, maybe it won’t.

ALWAYS Habs –
      D Mex

35. jrshabs1 says:

All my MB sucks comments have now been vindicated. A heart felt thank-you goes out to M.B. If anybody has MB’s address, I’d like to show my appreciation by sending him a new pair of designer socks.

Go Habs Go!!!!!

36. fitzy56 says:

This is very sad. The historic Montreal Canadiens organization deserves better than this MB. WTF are you doing?

37. cautiousoptimist says:

Both Scott and Elliott have cleared waivers recently. So Tinordi’s value was essentially zero, and my kneejerk reaction is to rail at Therrien for pushing his value to that level. But I can’t fathom how Tinordi couldn’t return at least a middling pick. Unless this really is just a small part of a bigger three-way trade of actual consequence….

• Alex_425 says:

That’s what the guys on 690 were just talking about, too.

Why? Why???

If you (for SOME reason) wanted those guys, you could have gotten them FOR FREE. Nothing makes sense right now!

• cautiousoptimist says:

Only thing that makes sense is that this is part of something much bigger between the three teams. Would explain why HIO is holding off reporting the trade, if they know something’s in the works…. That’s the best I’ve got — otherwise I’m just mystified.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Yeah, that would make sense, except it seems like the trade call has gone through to the league, judging from Bob McKenzie and Darren Dreger. So this is a standalone deal, it’s complete.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Agreed. I understand sometimes why a plug is a throw in, you have to eat salary to get the player you really want, but in this case, we’re taking a plug and another plug.

Just take a fifth-rounder for him from the first taker and be done with it.

What’s that you say? You can’t even get a fifth? Okay, we’ll take a sixth. And so on…

38. Bim says:

Has MB lost his ##??xx mind? John Scott??? and someone else whose likely going to ride the pine in St.John’s. Whose next? Stick boy? I yi. yi. This is the worst friggin team I’ve ever seen. Hello PG? Ya, ya. You got the job. Don’t happen to know any English speaking coaches do you? T E R R I B L E!!!! Not only did MB trade Tinordi but also a minor leaguer to boot. Come on Jeff Molson. You’re killing me here

39. Cal says:

We should have seen the signs. The silly suits. The ability to laugh a little too easily. All the cheap Cap moves.
    Bergevin has had another laugh on us. Apparently, he’s a clown.
    I wonder why the big shoes didn’t give it away?

• Forum Dog says:

bahahaha! That is quite funny. He’s been known for that throughout his career. Shave cream and practical jokes all around. He sure pulled one over here at HIO….

40. Ghosts of the Forum says:

No wonder this took a few weeks to figure out. NSH and ARZ must’ve been looking at each other and saying ‘Ashton? Is that you bud? Get out here!! Where are the cameras?? Nice try, haha!”

Who is the minor leaguer? MaCarron?

41. Ironhogs says:

What in the hell is going on? How is MB still employed? He must buy a lot of beer. This is crazy. These trades make no sense.

42. Un Canadien errant says:

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 4m4 minutes ago

Bizarre change. So, Nashville trades Bartley to Ariz for Elliott then Bartley and Scott moved to Mtl for Tinordi and a minor leaguer.

———————————————————————–
    So my resolution for this season is, taking Hal Gill’s injunction to heart, to “let P.K. be P.K.” I’m not going to try to hold him to the standard of Raymond Bourque or Chris Chelios, I’m going to allow him to be himself, with all his glory and his little foibles. (…) I’m celebrating P.K., not trying to improve him. Anymore.

43. The Jackal says:

I’m with y’all on this. The only way this deal makes sense if it’s actually part of a broader move. But how many times have we said that about a move MB’s made?

I’m quickly losing faith in management and coaching.

• J.Ambrose.OBrien says:

I hope it is part of something more. But I truly fear it isn’t. In which case, Bergen has some serious explaining to do. Not just to the fan base, but to his bosses.

I remember Dec. 31, 1975

• Maybe a few other GM’s decided to gang up and take MB down a few notches, seeing as he used to be developing a name for getting a lot for nothing. They schmoozled him into a multi-way deal and then shut the door in his face.

I certainly hope not.

Defense wins championships

Fidem rationemque coniunge. One Truth. That is all.

• PK says:

Jackal, there is no broader move. This is it for now.

Can we cheer for John Scott?
      Is he not that goon, left over from the Sabres?

Top three pick is all we can hope for now.
      What do they call it? Tanking?

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

“Une équipe de hockey sur glace de l’île de Mont-Royal va gagner la Coupe de Lord Stanley à 24 reprises dans le 20e siècle et trois fois au cours du 21e siècle.”

– Nostradamus, 1552

44. joewindsor habfan says:

Can’t wait to see and hear MB give his reasoning behind the trade. How this will address many deficiencies but the best part will be when Coach T, will only play Scott a minute/game if he’s lucky. Brilliant!

45. C.B.Barbarian says:

Seriously, people, what did you think the Habs would get in return for a once-highly-thought of prospect who has flamed out? He can’t play at the NHL level & you want a superstar in return? I thought only Leafs fans overvalued their plugs so much they wanted a Crosby in return for Kadri. MB got a warm body who can play in St. John’s instead of nothing through a waiver loss.

46. Un Canadien errant says:

Pierre McGuire on TSN 1040 Vancouver: “I don’t think Jarred Tinordi has been right since he got one-punched last year in the AHL.”

———————————————————————–

• Forum Dog says:

Tinordi will be fine. He just needs a chance to play. He may not be a 1000 game guy in the NHL, but I think he’ll carve himself out a career once he adjusts to the pace. He does not play a timid game, even after that unfortunate incident.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I agree. I thought we were brooding him, that we’d trade a guy higher on the depth chart to open up icetime for him, keeping our eyes focused two years in the future, when he’d be the steady stay-at-home tough guy. Now we traded him for a handful of beans, and a car on blocks.

And the beans came with an exhaustive warning sheet that guaranteed they aren’t magic.

• habs-fan-84 says:

Exactly.

• Lapointe says:

Pierre McGuire hasn’t been right since Tinordi got one-punched last year……

47. Thurston says:

I guess Arizona didn’t have a fifth round pick they wanted to part with so the Canadiens settled for John Scott. LOL

48. adamkennelly says:

I FIGURED IT OUT!!!!!!

MB does the NHL a favor by trading for Scott ahead of All Star game so he is no longer in the Pacific and as a result is not there – to the benefit of Nashville and the NHL.

In return – he gets to trade the D man he got to Nashville for some F who’s name I don’t know – but also for un-named future benefits.

From the NHL – MB gets a guarantee that Habs get 1st overall pick in draft lotto when they lose every game left this season.

see MB is not as ridiculously dumb as he looks right now.

• Huh says:

Man.

If this is the final move, MB HAS to be going for a full on tank.

He has to be otherwise he’s gone insane or has never been good to begin with and we were just enamored with his “good guy” vibes. If this is a tank, then it’s likely that Price is done for the year.

Nothing else makes any sense here.

2 guys who we could have gotten off waivers multiple times for Tinordi?

I need to go punch myself a few times in the head to be in the right frame of mind to even begin to try to rationalize this…..

• Lapointe says:

MB has a nose for hockey trades

49. Luke says:

Dreger – this 3-way trade took a few weeks to bring together.

A FEW WEEKS???? ON THIS?
    Holy Crap.

Habs getting the worst of another three-way this week(badumpt-tiss)

One contract moved out, Two brought in. Both AHLers.

What’s goal of this?
    What is Bergevin trying to accomplish with these moves?

If there is a bigger move to be made, you make the bigger move and toss Tinordi into it. Or you wave him and lose that contract for free.
    You don’t add two contracts… it limits flexibility.

I’m absolutely lost on this one.

Okay, are you serious, did he say that?

• Dust says:

habs traded 2 contracts

• Forum Dog says:

BWAAAAHAHAHAHAHA! Yes, much negotiation on this deal. Valuable time spent.

• Lapointe says:

Of coirse MB had a hard time convincing the other trade partners on this deal that it was really him offering Tinordi…he has put a lot of thought in to this trade. The one good thing I see is he has lost the image he had on here as a genius GM who has other GMs shaking in their boots for the time that this guy would call and fleese them out of their best player. Man this is difficult to understand…I really support an enforcer but was in hopes of a young fast enforcer who could play a bit of hockey without hurting the team. They really do need someone though to help them with the rough treatment they get by times.

50. PK says:

A depressing Habs season gets worse –
    Leblanc, Tinordi and that guy who captains the NY Rangers.
    Three First round picks that have been traded for three bags of pucks.

I can hear the guffaws in Leafsland and in Arizona.

Hope Tinordi has a good career.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

– Nostradamus, 1552

51. Forum Dog says:

There is only one team rewarded by this deal, and it ain’t MTL. Zona get’s a chance to develop a big, strapping defencemen with a lot of NHL tools, and MTL gets nothing – absolutely zero – that can help them now or in the future.

52. on2ndthought says:

Does Scott even make the 23 man roster? If so, DLR gets sent down when Gilbert comes back and we’re back to having two D in the press box.

“a cannonading drive”

53. J.Ambrose.OBrien says:

I am so done with this GM. I used to like him. But this is getting ridiculous.

I remember Dec. 31, 1975

54. SteverenO says:

If the Elliott for Bartley trade is true, it makes sense.

Elliott has 8 career goals in 82 NHL games, Bartley has one career goal in 112 NHL games. We all know that on this team scoring goals is NOT part of the job decription for defencemen .

regards,

Steve O.

55. LeaveTheCoachAlone says:

Maybe giving Kassian another shot, before trading for Scrivens would a of been a better choice….then Scott, if this is what it turns out to be. Hopefully a Hoax.

Sometimes I think this organization has way too much pride preventing it to be able to actually do the right things.

56. Hockey Bob says:

Tinner traded for 2 players they could have picked off waivers a few times this season. Lmao.

57. Dunboyne Mike says:

Either Timo is still at work or he has ditched pithy/bitchy and is even now composing the longest post of his — or anyone’s — membership here.

(And it could just start with the words, I told you so….)

58. If that’s the worth of Tinordi, a former first round pick who I think was mishandled as far as his development, imagine the value the rest of the league gives our roster players.

What do you think Markov would get?
    Plekanec?
    DD?
    Emelin?
    Petry?
    Patyrn?
    Beaulieu?
    Weise?
    Flash? i know this one… zero!
    Eller?
    If we’re not trading PK, Gally, Chucky, Max or Price, what is the value of the rest of this team that seems to have forgotten how to score and play defense? Oy!

I’m really pissed! 22 years and counting…

• D Mex says:

TSN690 are pointing out that both Scott and Bartley were available on waivers earlier this season. Could have had them for nothing.

They have also pointed out that, if MB wanted to do something for Tinordi, he could have placed him on waivers and not taken purposeless salary back in return. The truth : nobody gets this.

ALWAYS Habs –
      D Mex

59. Wait a second…here’s a conspiracy theory:

The NHL brokered a back-room deal with MB that will prevent the embarrassment of Scott playing in the All Star Game, seeing as he wasn’t voted into the East squad. In return, MB will be able to sign a real superstar forward (Ovechkin, Stamkos, Tavares, or someone of that calibre) through an obscure technicality that the NHL legal braintrust will “discover” all of a sudden.

That has to be it, right?

Defense wins championships

Fidem rationemque coniunge. One Truth. That is all.

60. Ozmodiar says:

Bergevin has finally jumped the shark.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

(if I wasn’t a member here, if I didn’t happen to be reading whatever summer it was, I would have been impoverished and unable to understand your post. Always seek the positive.)

61. J_P says:

I love the TSN headline: “Habs close to acquiring John Scott”. Like “Habs so close to acquiring the player they’ve always wanted”.

Did Bergevin just acquire another 4th liner/minor leaguer? Who was the HIO member who referred to Bergevin as “The Collector” the other day? That was brilliant.

62. Luke says:

Ok.OK.
    Fun is fun, and we all had a laugh. hahaha

So what’s REALLY going on MB?

63. AceTen says:

This must mean Price needs surgery and is done for the season. We are officially in full tank mode.

64. Hockey Bob says:

Lmao, this team is a joke a joke for a coach and gm.

65. Alex_425 says:

I think I’ll be cracking open lots of Trois Pistoles Unibroue beer tonight to deal with this.

I need good beer to deal with a bad situation.

• The Swiftian Age says:

You could do that, or you go bigger, go for the REAL “Abbey” beer (rather than “Abbey-style”), and get some Chimay. Yeah, go for a real, high-quality product, not the knock-off sort of thing we’ve been getting from our Habs (and Habs management) lately.

Lilliput for the Lilliputians!

66. D Mex says:

Trying hard to find a positive …

Could it be that Scott, with the All-Star ” C ” on his résumé, will be asked to mentor Pacioretty in that role with the Habs ❓

ALWAYS Habs –
    D Mex

67. Marek says:

Welp…it looks like we finally got that all-star forward. I am quickly losing interest in this team

68. marvin20 says:

MB is just clearing roster space. Tinordi was not playing, and Scott will be in St. Johns. Something much bigger is going to happen, for you all to panic about

69. The Puckhound says:

John Scott…equals Max Domi!

LOL BERGEVIN

Forever #4

70. Huh says:

I feel like quitting being a fan of this team.
    But, unfortunately, I’m addicted.

At first, it was really fun. Amazing even.
    Then it just became the norm, sometimes it was exciting but mostly just status quo.

Then it became depressing for a few years, but still, like any addict I was just hooked on it regardless of how good the ride was or how bad I knew it was for me.

Then a new dealer came to town and started peddling some nice , new stuff.

And everything was great for awhile. Amazing even.

Then the old feelings of depression started creeping in again. The highs weren’t as high but man, those lows were starting to get lower and lower.

But I’m still addicted. And sad. And confused.

And I need another hit.

Unfortunately, it’s John Scott who’s going to be hitting me.

71. J_P says:

WOW! The Habs are set to acquire an All-star!!! Yayyyyyy!!! oh wait…….what? John Scott? The joke of the all-star voting process?

Bergevin….he’s turning out to be the real joke here.

The only reason I can see for this trade is giving Tinordi a chance somewhere else, and acquiring a defensemen he can send to the minors that does not require clearing waivers.

72. Say Ash says:

MB just did what Tropic Thunder says you shouldn’t do.

73. habs-fan-84 says:

Should’ve kept Prust.

74. I suppose this means we’re officially going for the Tank. Send down any overachieving forwards who are still trying and can clear waivers. Diminish the value of your assets by not playing them, then trade them for fourth line plugs.

A few more of these moves and we’ll be at the bottom in no time. =/

Defense wins championships

Fidem rationemque coniunge. One Truth. That is all.

75. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Elliott made at least some sense. Two men of relatively same age. Close in the draft (20 picks apart). Different styles, change of scenery and who knows…

But Bartley? An undrafted minor leaguer? Why? Why not keep Elliott??