Canadiens call up Jacob de la Rose from AHL, send down Sven Andrighetto and Daniel Carr

0204 spt nhl canadiens 0433

STU COWAN
MONTREAL GAZETTE

The Canadiens announced before practice Friday morning in Brossard that they have called up Jacob de la Rose from the AHL’s St. John’s IceCaps, while sending down Sven Andrighetto and Daniel Carr.

De la Rose has played 24 games with the IceCaps this season, scoring two goals and adding seven assists. The 20-year-old will meet the Canadiens in St. Louis, where they will play the Blues Saturday night (7 p.m., SN, TVA Sports, TSN Radio 690).

In 17 games with the Canadiens after being called up from the AHL, Carr had five goals and two assists. Andrighetto, who has been up and down all season between Montreal and St. John’s, has four goals and one assist in 17 games with the Canadiens.

The Canadiens held an optional skate in Brossard at 11 a.m. before the team headed to the airport for a flight to St. Louis.

The decision to send down Carr comes as a surprise since he is one of the few Canadiens players who has shown a willingness to consistently go to the dirty areas in front of the opposition net to score goals. During Thursday’s 2-1 loss to the Chicago Blackhawks he created energy on the fourth line with Torrey Mitchell and Brian Flynn. Carr had three shots on goal in only 10:48 of ice time and the line combined for seven shots, with Mitchell and Flynn both getting two.

When asked Friday morning if he thought Carr’s game had slipped a bit, coach Michel Therrien said: “A little bit. It’s normal. Most of the time, especially when you get called up (to the NHL) the first time, you’re so excited. What is tough for young kids is not making the NHL, but to maintain the emotion. But it’s a process. He did really good. We’re really pleased with what we saw.”

As for de la Rose, Therrien said: “In that case, he’s got size. He skates really, really well. He’s a good skater and the role that we’re going to give him, we think we’re going to have more heavy players on the fourth line.”

Therrien said de la Rose would definitely be in the lineup Saturday night. Dale Weise, who has been sidelined with an upper-body injury (it’s to his right hand) took part in the optional skate Friday and could play Saturday if he gets medical clearance.

Mike Condon will start in goal against the Blues.

Carey Price skated alone for the fifth straight day before the team’s optional practice, but wasn’t wearing his goalie equipment. The team has said the goaltender won’t return from his lower-body injury — which has sidelined him since Nov. 25 — until at least after the all-star break at the end of this month.

(Photo by Allen McInnis/Montreal Gazette)

1. The Puckhound says:

Does Geoff Molson have any clue about his GM Marc Bergevin?
    First Semin!
    Then Kassien!
    Now Trading for John Scott!

Seriously Bergevin has lost his mine!
    Pierre Gauthier Part 2!

Forever #4

2. FenceSurfer says:

Wow, I sing on and see this headline. Carr has more goals in his short stint in the NHL than DLR has all season in the AHL. What gives? We need scoring. I like DLR but come on. This is insane logic. Send down a vet before Carr.

3. Captain aHab says:

We totally needed another d-man. Can never too many d-men.

—————-
    Prepare to be boarded!!

4. Luke says:

Dreger:

Elliott a good offensive, right shot defenceman. Nice add for Habs.

Illustrating he has no clue what the Habs defense situation looks like right now.

5. fitzy56 says:

If this trade is true, I totally don’t understand it.

6. habs-fan-84 says:

lol what a joke.

7. on2ndthought says:

Oh no! John Scott and Stefan Elliott.

“a cannonading drive”

8. AH says:

The Habs are in a tailspin right now.

So tough watching this mess right now, but the Habs Fanatic in me keeps me going.

I wonder, is this what it feels like to have been an Oiler fan since 2006?

9. mrhabby says:

Keep it going MB whatever it is your trying to do.

10. Danno says:

Can we have a new thread please?
    Or will I have to settle for a bowl of threaded tweets?

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

11. Enigma says:

ARI-MTL trade call is in works. Tinordi to ARI and return expected to be John Scott and Stefan Elliott…

WTF???

‘Work is the curse of the drinking classes.’ Oscar Wilde

12. BJ says:

Scott and Elliot coming the other way.

13. Captain aHab says:

Elliott is a defenseman with decent two-way ability. Offensively, he has a great shot and fine puck-moving ability. Could improve his physical game. – See more at: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=15735#sthash.KF2imS96.dpuf

Stop the presses!!

—————-
    Prepare to be boarded!!

14. on2ndthought says:

Tinordi will be a solid NHL regular in 2 years, and in the meantime will provide some highlight hits and highlight misses. Arizona can afford to wait, we can’t; unless we had decided to tank. I think this trade is telling us which way MB is leaning.

“a cannonading drive”

15. monmick says:

We should have known John Scott was coming back when MT said this earlier today: As for de la Rose, Therrien said: “In that case, he’s got size. He skates really, really well. He’s a good skater and the role that we’re going to give him, we think we’re going to have more heavy players on the fourth line.”

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

• on2ndthought says:

“He skates really, really well.” If Therrien ever says those words about John Scott, it will definitely be time to axe him!

“a cannonading drive”

16. Un Canadien errant says:

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 2m2 minutes ago

ARI-MTL trade call is in works. Tinordi to ARI and return expected to be John Scott and Stefan Elliott.

———————————————————————–
    So my resolution for this season is, taking Hal Gill’s injunction to heart, to “let P.K. be P.K.” I’m not going to try to hold him to the standard of Raymond Bourque or Chris Chelios, I’m going to allow him to be himself, with all his glory and his little foibles. (…) I’m celebrating P.K., not trying to improve him. Anymore.

17. bwoar says:

John Scott + Stefan Elliott per McKenzie, unconfirmed

18. youngwun says:

Were not getting Scott. Everyone relax.

19. Luke says:

John Scott and Stefan Elliot.

(And straw has broken the camel’s back).

20. Ghosts of the Forum says:

MB trades on 8th defenceman for an All Star! What a genius!!

“The defenceman was pulled off the team’s plane Friday and informed of the news.”

Okay, who exactly pulled him off the plane and is he/she dressing for the Habs?

22. bwoar says:

You’ll Fall In Love With These 9 Top Female Golfers From the KHL Who Should Be in The NHL – Trust Us

23. Captain aHab says:

We’re all throwing names around and it’s likely going to be a conditional 5th round pick that becomes a fourth if DD plays an average of 25 minutes per game until the end.

—————-
    Prepare to be boarded!!

24. on2ndthought says:

This is a negatron comment

What a bitter disappointment Bergevin has been!!! He doesn’t have a bloody clue what he is doing. I’m surprised Molson tolerates this gross incompetence.(HabsFansince49)

You are welcome to say whatever is decent, but posts that are about your spleen have little interest for me.

“excited about the beloved Therrien” is another. Anyone who defends or tries to reason out cause and effect of wins and losses without bashing the coach is automatically a sycophant?

The Habs are beloved, Therrien coaches them, seems to be doing a pretty good job, even as we plummet down the standings. Last night’s game was a good example of a team playing very well within a well constructed system, and losing. It hurts. Not Therrien’s fault, doesn’t mean he is perfect or beloved, but I’m probably wasting breath here.

“a cannonading drive”

25. BJ says:

If Scott is really coming our way, I would have to say that MB found Kassian’s stash before he left town.

26. bwoar says:

To reiterate, nothing confirmed EXCEPT that Tinordi was asked to leave the plane as he’s been traded.

27. Steven says:

I was asking a few days ago what the All-Star Game implications of a John Scott trade would be.

I guess I’m going to find out.

28. bwoar says:

Well, John Scott is no smurf. I like this already.

29. monmick says:

If it’s Shane Doan, the mayor will go nuts!

30. La Duke 16 says:

Bye, Bye Tinordi!!

31. mdp2011 says:

Habs are about to acquire an all-star, lol.

Edit: Always been a Bergevin supporter, but if this is 1 for 1 for John Scott, I will be speechless.

32. bwoar says:

Just to make this fun, Duclair is not on the ice at Yotes practice.

33. Huh says:

I think a fair number of people here are objective and not negative.

Pom Pom waiving is fun and all but at a certain point, you need to call a spade a spade.

JDLR is going to do NTFM for this team, realistically speaking.

Yay, we’ll have a “heavy” 4th line which will improve our top 6 how exactly?

MT honestly sounded like he didn’t even know how to spin this call up…. fumbling for words et all……

34. bwoar says:

John Scott is part of this per Craig Custance.

• Forum Dog says:

LOL! What a joke that would be. There is no value that I can see to adding a 5 minute/game guy who hasn’t played in 2016.

• Huh says:

I’m going to cry if this is the case.

John Scott? Really? Maybe they see him as John Scott the All-Star and are confused……

maybe he’ll magically become a 50 goal scorer.

Please let this not be true…… unless there is more to it and he’s just a body that’s moving to St-John’s…..

I’m getting depressed just thinking about this….

35. Captain aHab says:

Gonna guess Vermette.

—————-
    Prepare to be boarded!!

36. on2ndthought says:

If we get Laurent Dauphin for Tiny, I’ll be satisfied, local kid with wheels…

“a cannonading drive”

37. HabsFansince49 says:

38. Ozmodiar says:

Negatrons! I like it!!

Although, i suspect i might be one of them seeing how i’m displeased with the team winning only 4 games in last 18.

39. Huh says:

Although I never saw anything special in Tinordi, it could have all been between the ears as he maybe got a bit mind-f****d by this management regime.

That being said, I hope he plays well and shows MT and MB what they were missing out on.

Get em Tinner.

40. on2ndthought says:

Just got in, Dave Stubbs is leaving us for the NHL.com website

“a cannonading drive”

41. jols says:

So happy for Tinner. When he gets his confidence back and plays for a coach that won’t crucify him for every mistake he will be a force on the blue line. Go get ’em Tinner.

42. bwoar says:

Dreger says there’s “definitely something” LOL

43. habs001 says:

NB28 and Petry are two players that have received a lot of praise by both posters and media people thru out their tenure with the Habs …So i know i am in the minority but for me they are okay but not as good as made out to be both in their offensive abilities to help the forwards and in their D zone play…Many Hab forwards lack scoring talent and they are also getting limited help from the D.

• D Mex says:

Is there such a thing as a half-minority ?
      Despite what is on display out on the ice, I like the Petry acquisition. He can skate the puck, sees the ice very well, and makes an excellent first pass IF, in his judgement, it is the right play.

Beaulieu on the other hand … the big plus with this D-Man has always been touted as his skating ability and offensive upside. I remember hearing how he slid out of the 1st-round conversation at the draft, and later speculation tied that to intangibles, or the lack thereof.

It occurs to me that he has had success in getting the off-ice side of things under control but, I gotta’ say, I continue to look for more in what he brings in the skating and offense departments.
      More and more, he reminds me of a younger, less expensive version of Josh Gorges – now that will be unpopular around here – but I know what I see, and this is the best description I can think of for it.

ALWAYS Habs –
      D Mex

44. BJ says:

Tinordi traded to Arizona who’s coming our way?

45. Hstands4Hockey says:

Tinordi traded to Arizona

——————————————————————–
    Rule #76: No Excuses, Play Like a Champion!
    @Hstands4Hockey

46. habitual says:

Heretical thought perhaps, bu these are desperate times:

Given that goal tending is not the issue, and goal scoring most certainly is … what about trading Price?

I am being provocative, but … while Price is obviously the best goalie in the league how much better do the Habs become with him in the net versus bringing in a high end player and or high draft pick that Price would net?

• Huh says:

See my post below. I too think it’s something ot potentially consider.

In short…..

Price and Plek for Sid and Fleury with some picks going either way….

Won’t happen, but I think Price could fetch us something nice, especially from a team like Pitts with 2 legit C ice men….

47. Dunboyne Mike says:

Thought exercise.

Imagine future ex-Habs morphing into John Leclair syndromes on other teams:

Pleks?
    Emelin?
    Max?
    Chucky?
    PK?
    Markov?

Some would turn into Leclairs, some not.

48. fastfreddy says:

MB will not make a trade until Price returns. I don’t necessarily agree with that but that’s what I think he’ll do. Now, he’ll assess progress and then react, my fear is that it may be too late.

CH = Les Glorieux!!!

49. Dunboyne Mike says:

I don’t want Price to come back until October.

Now we’re talking!

Load the artillery my field commander, Tanking here we come!

• Dunboyne Mike says:

No no no!
        I am anti-tank!
        I realise it’s pie-in-the-sky, however my preference is:
        a) let him heal properly
        b) let the club build a proper team to be in front of him when he returns hungry for the Cup

• thehockeyphilosopher says:

If he doesn’t return, then he’ll have been off from November 2015 to October 2016. That’s a long time and a lot of rust!

Hope he comes back, but I’m not banking this season on him. I think he comes back as a recondtioning/preparation for next year. The forwards lack of effort over this slump maybe indicates they’ve pulled the plug on the year too.

• D Mex says:

Or :
        The forwards lack of effort over this slump maybe indicates they’ve pulled the plug on their time in MTL.
        IMO, being a professional means that you don’t look for an
        ” off ” switch, or use one if presented.

ALWAYS Habs –
        D Mex

• Dunboyne Mike says:

D Mex! Don’t be such a macarra/mala culo!

(Which of those is better? Be flattered that I took the time to google translate!)

That said, I think I also take issue with hockeyphil: I can’t bring myself to believe that lack of effort is valid, no matter how it looks to us when we watch.

Lottery draft update.

Montreal presently sits in 20th spot. However, they are just two points ahead of Carolinaa who draft 9th. Winnipeg drafts 7th while Anaheim selects 8th. Both teams are 6 poinst back of Montreal.

Drafting 7th, 8th or 9th brings Gauthier and Dublois into the discussion.

148/82/26

• The Jackal says:

Draft in the positions you mention also opens the possibility of trading up. I wouldn’t be upset with a high pick this year. The team clearly needs more than just Price and PK.

______________________
      Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• 24 Cups says:

I don’t want to come across as a quitter but I’m beginning to think the year could be over. The next 12 games will tell the tale.

If that happens, then the team should try and draft top ten and try and grab the forward that we didn’t get in 2013 when the Habs made an incredible turnaround.

148/82/26

51. zak says:

How many games did Cary steal for us last year…let’s say 6
    How many loser pts did Cary get for us last year…Let’s say 6
    That would amount to 18 pts..Take away those 18 pts and that’s the kind of team we are.

52. bwoar says:

Sunday headlines (sorry JB)

“Jacob de la Rose showed his back…. and what happened after that will shock you!”

“Swedish athletes who are out of your league”

53. Luke says:

So this is oddly perplexing.
    I’m a dlR fan, so not upset about the move at all, but it’s still a bit weird.

The obvious reason is simply: Ghetto and Carr do not need to pass waivers, therefore they are the ones sent down.

Fine. I think we all can understand WHO they sent. It’s the WHY.

Calling up dlR gives the team size. Against STL that’ll help. So I think we can agree on that as well.

We’ve commented on how this squad has too many third and fourth liners. Well, I hope that they can at least build the 3rd and 4th lines to be the best 3rd and 4th’s they can be.

The trouble on this team is the top-6. Not the bottom-6. That bottom 6 should be locked in. With dlR called up and a healthy Weise:

de la Rose – Eller – Weise
    Flynn – Mitchell – Smith-Pelly

The top 6 is tougher. But you play with the leftovers to fill it out.
    MT said #27/#67 lacked chemistry, so let’s just work with that.

Pacioretty – Plekanec – Gallagher
    That’s fine. It’s a decent line.

The Galcheynuk line is the problem.
    You have DD, Alex, Byron and Fleischmann.
    This is where I’d have slotted Carr.

DD-Alex-Carr (Byron, I guess).

This team needs a center for the Max line, which would push Plex down a spot and get Galchenyuk to the wing (if that is the end game here).

Galchenyuk – Plekanec – Carr
    or
    DD-Plekanec-Galchenyuk.

Byron/Fleischmann are waivable or tradeable.
    Tough to say that about Paul. He’s been a good piece, but he’s definitely not a long term piece.

All that taken into account, I’m sure the forwards will be the same with DSP scratched for dlR thus nullifying the size addition.

Defense is a mess.
    Fix your defense MB.
    41 games in, you need to poop or get off the defensive pot.

Clean up the Defense.
    Get a proper center.
    Lock your bottom 6.
    The rest falls into place.

I like that Byron has been a pleasant surprise, but that he is even being considered for our top 6 by the team is beyond scary.

Very good post Luke.

• The Jackal says:

Will the size really help? I feel that’s just a bromide passed off as fact.

Didn’t we recently school the Blues without having to be moar biggar?

______________________
      Hockey sine stercore tauri.

54. Lapointe says:

I wonder why so many on here think Carey would be the answer for what ails this team. I mean it isn’t like they are getting really bad goaltending. As a matter of fact Condon is playing as well as CP on many nights…throw out a game or two and he is playing well. Now the more serious comment is if CP is the reason they are dropping like a lead balloon then what does that say about the team build overall. I mean this team was projected to run on high octane this year. MB the genius GM actually said he sees them as a cup contender. So my thinking is they are going to need more than a tweak here or there. There is something missing on this team and it isn’t an small playmaker named Drouin either. I mean what irrational thinking that a small playmaker like Drouin on this team…a team that struggles so much to score would make any difference at all. The team representatives and coaching staff seem convincing there is nothing wrong in a personal way but there is something not right. I think it fair to think MB is not the genius GM that many thought he was. Heck they may not make the playoffs and to me that is a crime.

• 24 Cups says:

Carey Price is listed as being out for another two weeks. He would at least need another two weeks to gain his form. That time line would be a stretch of 12 Hab games. Minimum.

Condon has been great so far this month. Sure he has weaknesses, and gives up the odd soft goal, but for a raw rookie he has done well.

148/82/26

• Huh says:

I agree that CP is not the issue.

We can’t score goals. CP won’t help us with that.

In fact, looking at most NHL teams’ goalies, is Price really THAT MUCH better than let’s say Corey Crawford? I’d personally say, hell yes….. BUT that leads me to this point.

Is it better to have elite goaltending and a fair to midland team OR have decent goaltending with a solid roster and some solid scorers?

Based on the past cup winners, I’d say the latter. Look at CHI last year. Crawford wasn’t all-world-lights-out and heck, they were only playing 4 D towards the end and they still won the cup. Why? Because they have a complete team, have some legit gamers up front and GREAT coaching.

I know that this isn’t popular and I don’t necessarily advocate doing this but I think this could work. Do we really need Carey Price to win? Or do we have a better chance at winning with merely a good goalie and some better scoring forwards along with a new coach and some better structure?

I don’t know, but I think our best chip to trade realistically is Price. You’d get return for him. You’d get that #1 C for Price I reckon.

Trade Price and Plek for Sid and Fleury. Something to that effect. I think that that is a trade that is pretty fair. Not saying it would happen but on a player for player/ talent for talent basis it’s a wash.

We send a C and G one way and get a C and G back.

Price is def > Fleury and Crosby is def > Plek.
      Price is = Crosby more or less and Fleury is = Plek more or less.

Pens still have Malkin and put Plek as #2.
      We get Crosby for our #1 C and Fleury (a gars de chez nous to appease all the french media) as G.

And being a gars de chez nous I can see this being a good challenge for Fleury, and while no Price he’s a cup winner and is no hack by any means.

Throw in a couple of picks here and there or whatnot and that’s a fair value trade.

Won’t happen but I for one wouldn’t be against it if it did.

55. rabidhab says:

Its either April Fool’s day ( I’m sure its not ) or they are showcasing DeLaRose for someone ?

56. cautiousoptimist says:

Carr has 5 goals in 17 games, good for 0.29 goals/game. Only two Habs are scoring at a higher rate — Pacioretty and Gallagher — both of whom play many more minutes per game. As much as I like and respect the Brian Flynns, DLRs and DSPs of the league, this move looks bonkers move unless there’s a trade or something coming that we don’t know about.

“Daneyko got mad when Kaminski said he was going to knock his teeth out. Dano has only two teeth left, so you can’t say that to Dano.” -Jacques Lemaire

57. Islandhabber69 says:

So blunt….but so true…gvc…..some people cant handle the truth….especially the blind gm and useless coaches….

58. Phil C says:

I actually don’t mind this call up as long as he is played on the 4th line. Guys like this have a way of playing up in Therrien’s line up though so we’ll see how long he stays on the 4th.

But they could use at least one line with some jam and physicality. We saw last night how Emelin’s hits can change the momentum of a game. If a team like Chicago thinks they can dipsy doodle all over the ice, you are screwed because they will own you.

I don’t mind Andrighetto, or Byron, or DD, or Flynn, or Gallagher, just not all 5 at the same time. At least a guy like JDLR adds some balance to the lineup, especially if you are going to play chip and chase. Weise will help in that regard too.

59. The Jackal says:

Not to sound like a broken record in regards to MB, but by this point it’s apparent that his bad moves have finally hurt the team.

He’s held on to for too long to depreciating assets, and overvalued some as well. Emelin, Pleks, Gilbert, Tinordi… Maybe the trades weren’t there, but the record shows an aversion to risk and a lack of will to actually try and give fair value. It’s like MB is always trying to swindle another GM and won’t offer something of value. So he’s stuck with bargain bin deals.

Then there’s the PK contract. I think it’s a fine contract and it’s market value, but he stubbornly refused to give him a long term deal back when he could have. How much could he have saved on the cap then? All to make a worthless statement. I understand that MB is a rookie GM and he’s learning, and I trust that he will right the ship in time, but his bad moves are starting to stink and the shine is off. He’s gotta do something, and soon.

Then he got rid of Kassian instead of giving him a shot at redemption, in exchange for Scrivens, who isn’t gonna figure into the team’s long term plans, whereas Kassian actually could. This focus on “character” is a distraction from what matters most – the ability to play hockey well and make a positive impact. Kassian’s a young guy who will mature, who provides what this team needs. MB traded a locker-room hero for a guy he didn’t give enough of a shot to.

As for MT, well, what can you say? I think he did a good job helping rebuild the team, but now it’s time for a fresh approach. That said, he can only do so much with the chopped liver that MB has forced down his throat. I’d like to see a coaching change, but until MB addresses the roster’s main issues – which he has continuously failed to do – I don’t think a new coach will have that big an impact. I’d even give MT a chance to see what he does with the addition of a bonafide scorer.

This team isn’t going anywhere without an meaningful addition up front.

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• Habfan17 says:

MT had one in Vanek, who he promptly moved to his off wing,a nd then off the 1st line !

Habfan17

• D Mex says:

If, as was circulated, Geoff Molson intervened in the Subban negotiation,
      it is unfair to hang the outcome entirely around Bergevin’s neck. But the bottom line is that the team overpaid, and will now live with it.

ALWAYS Habs –
      D Mex

• thehockeyphilosopher says:

We all sound a bit like broken records around here lately. Don’t be too hard on yourself. Heck, didn’t you get quoted in the ALN recently?

Trades are one way to get a team built the way you want it. But like you said, maybe the trades just weren’t there. How about hard work, excellent coaching, and better execution of a better plan. The players on the roster are all capable of being stronger, faster and smarter. DD and Markov are the only two who I would say are all they can be (injury/lack of size).

PK got paid too much and it inflated his head. Never the less, I think he could refocus and be quite dominant at forcing the pace of the game again.

ZK made an error, admitted it, went for help and will be successful if he stays the course. His character matters because his life depends on it. If he goes swimming in the bottle again, he might not live to see the next day. Character matters because how you win is just as important that you win. I think Weise is so fun to watch because he really does love the Habs and wants to be here. i could say a lot about character, but I’m afraid it falls on deaf ears around here where the big joke the last three days was about how a man used three women.

MT00 is not getting the job done. Too many issues here. i can’t rehash what has been said here a thousand times. I am looking forward to his firing. The trouble is who relpaces him. I like Muller for head coach, if that could happen, and Boucher for assistant/language tutor.

If no solid improvement for center can be found, then is all hope lost?

60. Prop says:

Dave Stubbs has retired from the Gazette and will be a columnist/historical writer for NHL.com, I’m hoping he will still contribute in some way to HIO

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

61. bwoar says:

Wow Dave Stubbs resigned?!?!

Getting out while the getting was good?
    See ya on Twitter dude!

62. ProHabs says:

So the fourth line is going to be HEAVY now. Hahahahaha. Ya, what options does Therrien have to play on the 4th line to make it HEAVY. Byron, Fleishman, Flynn, Mitchell, etc. I can see the fear in the eyes of the other teams already. Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

63. Chuck says:

Sounds like Weise will be ready to go on Saturday; that plus DLR will make for a bigger opponent for the Blues.

64. Redzodrum says:

The call up of JDLR is enigmatic of what’s wrong with this franchise for years now, sending down offense for a 4th line grinder with no offensive
    upside whatsoever . Actually it is offensive to all us Habs fans who deserve way better. We are regressing.

65. bwoar says:

Matty I respect your right to be positive. There are some objective facts out there justifying the negative opinions of management, and some that justify the positive. Tough to say the the positive evidence outweighs the negative without putting your foot on the scale — naturally, that is my opinion.

It doesn’t feel good to want to tank. But it doesn’t feel very smart to attempt some huge comeback / first round playoff exit either. So, I’m going to gamble that everyone needs to be fired, starting with whoever thought it’d be a good idea to let the players choose their captain.

Subban for C and trade everyone who doesn’t like it. Truly, that is my wish. At least we’d be rid of Plekanec & Desharnais. And maybe Carey Price but let’s face it, he may never be the same. Think about that – if Price comes back next year at 75% of his old self, we’ll be living this very same season again.

Curious what exact parts of PK’s game do you see that makes him this ultimate superstar on our roster?

I see a very strong skater with a big shot. But when i look at the intangibles of a Dman like a Lidstrom, Keith I don’t see it with PK. I see him in the top grouping of dmen but not in that finite elite company, which is where he is paid and confidently believes he belongs.

This isn’t to bash, but to actually discuss. I see alot of smoke but wonder if the fire is really that big and hot. Decision making wise to me in both zones is behind that of the elite dmen.

Perhaps, much is related to the complete bizarre breakout system our present coach has these players playing.

• The Jackal says:

PK is an elite D-man and I don’t think it’s really debatable, the argument is where he slots in that elite group. If anything, though, the system is dragging him down (and everyone else around him).

______________________
        Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• Habfan17 says:

Agreed, what is with this skate hard up the ice and as soon as they reach the red line, drop it back crap?

Habfan17

Hey if you say so, then no debate needed. But if you watched the greats of the game from Orr/Robinson/Potvin/Bourque/Coffey/Lidstrom/Keith, you would know there is an effortless look to these great Dmen. Decisions made immediately with no hesitation. Smooth skating, hit when they need to, and constantly making others looking better. Edging forwards into areas they don’t want to go, but they move them there. Not to mention they score goals.

If you see the same in PK, good on ya.

• The Jackal says:

Enough with referring to the past greats. The game is different and today’s greats are probably better anyway. Maybe the reason they played so well and effortlessly was because of the amazing supporting casts they have? I’d love to see PK play with Toews, Kane, and Seabrook, to name a few. Or With Zetterberg and Datsyuk.

______________________
            Hockey sine stercore tauri.

Or maybe not.

• bwoar says:

Honest answer, I just like his compete level game-in and game-out. I also think there’s a division in the locker room that no one is talking about. And #67 has never really grown on me as a leader. My wish is for drastic change, and that crazy idea would be where I’d start.

I don’t see a top 5 NHL defender in PK either Burly, and it’s because of his decision making. His flashy style is no doubt fun to play but it’s a double-edged sword for the team. The fact is, when he’s not scoring he isn’t balancing the risk with reward.

Would be interesting to see him play in a different system, but regardless, he plays with twice the energy of his teammates shift after shift. That’s leading on the ice even if his game can be a bit dangerous or over-complicated.

It’d also be nice to see what PK could, or would do, on a team with dynamic forwards where he doesn’t have to try to be ‘The Guy’ 100% of the time, for example playing the entirety of every PP, every other game.

• The Jackal says:

There’s nothing wrong with his decision-making, the problem is that he has to be the guy on a team full of fifth line puds and fourth pairing D-men. At least Karlsson is playing with Stone, Hoffman, Ryan, Turris, and others. At least Doughty has Kopitar, Toffoli, Carter, Gaborik… not to mention Muzzin and Martinez ain’t bad either. Pietrangelo and Shattenkirk have each other, John Carlson has Ovi and company, Weber and Josi got Neal and now Johansen. The Giordano, Brodie, and Hamilton in Calgary have Gaudreau, Bennett, Monahan, Hudler, etc. PK has… the wrong combination of teammates.

No disrespect to Markov, but he’s long past his prime. Beaulieu ain’t there yet, and the rest are not really top 3 material. Patch is a pure scorer, he doesn’t do much more than that and doesn’t create plays often. Gallagher is a warrior but he isn’t a top scorer either.

Despite that, he’s still a 60pt guy with the potential to be a 70pt guy under the right conditions. To top it off, he’s polished his game defensively and is a complete player. He’s the only Hab who can gain the zone at speed consistently but for some reason, his teammates just stand still at the blue line, or dump the puck in after getting a good pass.

But yeah, I agree, PK plays a solid game.
          ______________________
          Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• bwoar says:

I still think it’s half-and-half, Jackel. PK likes the PK Show on the ice and off the ice. I have no problem with that but I insist, part of the oddity of his game is between his own ears. Agreed for sure that he could use better teammates.

• thehockeyphilosopher says:

What a horrible thought – Price coming back at only 75% of what he used to be!! Hopefully his recovery is much better than that though.

Such a shame anyway. I blame Krieder. What a scum.

66. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

JDR is brought up to play on the 4th line? Carr did “really good” so he got sent down? I’m more lost than usual. The only thing that I watch now is the countdown till Price comes back.

67. Duffy says:

What a brilliant move to bring up another AHLr, plan the Parade!!!!

It’s just getting better and better. I am loving it.
    Another top 5 pick, here we come. (of course, that pick will be made by Bergevin and coached by Therrien, but still… still exciting)

69. TommyB says:

And I thought Groundhog Day was still a few weeks away…….How many times must we relive this scenario with the Habs? Sure, some of the names change from year to year, but basically it’s the same story, isn’t it. For whatever reason, we can’t seem to put an offensively competitive team together and we can’t seem to find a coach who can make a difference based on the lineup he has to work with. Yes, we always have those players with “potential”, and we get teased with fair playoff performances yearly without getting to the third round. Don’t look to me for the answers…I don’t have any.

However, it sure seems like that if there ever was a time to make a leadership change behind the bench, this is it. Therrien sure seems to be out of tricks. Unfortunately, MB has given MT a recent contract extension, and has gone on record recently announcing that Therrien is not going anywhere and that he and MT are a team. In effect, tying his own hands.

How many times have we seen this act in professional sports? Usually when a GM makes that statement one of two things happens….1) he is forced to eat his words and do what he stated he would not do, fire his coach. 2) stick with his statement by not firing his coach and end up getting canned along with the coach at the end of the season by upper management.

Unless the team can make a drastic improvement, and soon, the above statement should ring true.

Nice to see a post from you Tommy, been awhile (I think?).

Just imagine what it would cost Molson to tie a can to both MT and MB as they both have nice freshly minted contracts.

I am fully supportive of the “fire the coach” movement but in my heart of hearts, I think at a minimum we are stuck until season is over.

If this team does not make playoffs there could be a double windfall. Better draft pick and perhaps this failure of making playoffs gets MT out of Dodge.

• TommyB says:

Ya, I read daily but rarely get fired up enough to comment anymore. I fear you are right that too much money is tied up in coach/GM contracts, but I think even worse is that Habs upper management and ownership hate to admit to anything that might appear as a mistake on their part. So, ya, we are stuck at least until the off-season. I don’t know about you, but I cannot see this team pulling it all together and getting back on track in time to make the playoffs…and even if they do, I can’t see them making any kind of impact in the playoffs. What seemed like so much potential, has quickly melted away.

• D Mex says:

I follow your rationale, but consider this :
        IF MB takes no action on the coaching front before the regular season concludes (this could include a variety of moves), he might be given a seat on the same stage coach.
        In fact, if Geoff decides to join the team on the road as he did toward the end of the PG regime, I’d be inclined to bet on it.

ALWAYS Habs –
        D Mex

• Tommy!!!! HIYA from frozen Manitoba

All four lines need a new system, and there’s only one way to do that.

I agree with everything you say.

They call me Shane
      @sholi2000
      Simply the Best, Thank You Montreal

70. sulham44 says:

With all due respect to the Captain, the team needs a bona fide superstar talent on offense. Pacioretty’s success is reliant on his linemates. He can certainly finish, but it’s rare that he creates solely on his own.

They have a superstar in net (once healthy) and one on defense, but not up front. Easier said than done of course, but it has remained their need for more than a decade. Galchenyuk might be that player, but I see him as more of the Adam Oates to a Brett Hull and they’ve yet to find him that counterpart.

71. GVZ says:

I guess I should not be so surprised that Carr was sent down. These are the same tools who figured out three years after everyone else on the planet including my 81 year old mother that Markov is playing too many minutes. Truly mind boggling stuff here. The real sad part is you accept that the French scribes are going to continue saying how great MB and MT are but it would be nice is some of the less nationalist scribes did a better job of holding MB and MT’s feet to the fire.

72. Habitoban says:

I’m fine with the call up. It’s not like we are sending down scoring machines in Carr and Ghetto. It’s worth pointing out that DD’s numbers in Hamilton were way better than anything that Carr and Ghetto are putting up. Our team is soft and we lose way too many puck battles. DLR is big, tough and fast. Our team is much harder to play against with him and Weisse in the lineup.