Habs call up Engqvist, Palushaj to AHL

Palushajmarch21

Aaron Palushaj during  Canadiens last July. John Mahoney, The Gazette

Aaron Palushaj’s first stint with the Canadiens is over, the club sending him back to the Hamilton Bulldogs on Monday. In his place, the Canadiens have called up centreman Andreas Engqvist.

The team’s release:

The Montreal Canadiens announced Monday that centreman Andreas Engqvist has been recalled from the AHL Hamilton Bulldogs, while right winger Aaron Palushaj has been assigned to Hamilton.

The 6’04’’, 197 lbs centreman, aged 23, suited up for two games with the Canadiens this season, including his first NHL contest on January 21 at Ottawa. Engqvist was held pointless, while recording one shot on goal, two hits and three blocked shots and averaging 10:25 minutes of ice time per game.

Engqvist appeared in 62 games with the Bulldogs this season, registering 21 points (8 goals, 13 assists). Two of his goals were scored on the power play. He has collected 122 shots on goal, maintained a +8 plus/minus differential and served 16 penalty minutes.

A native of Stockholm, Sweden, Engqvist signed with the Canadiens as a free agent on July 13, 2009.

The 21 year old Palushaj suited up for the Canadiens’ last three games, including his first career NHL game, on March 17 against the Tampa Bay Lightning at the Bell Centre. Palushaj was held pointless, recording three shots on goal and three hits, while playing an average of 8:31 minutes per game.

Palushaj, 21, ranks third on the Bulldogs with 44 points (17 goals, 27 assists) in 57 games this season. Five of his goals have been tallied on the power play. The 5’11’’ and 177 lbs right winger is tied for first on the Bulldogs with a +15 plus/minus differential. He has registered 134 shots on goal and served 30 penalty minutes.

A native of Northville, Michigan, Palushaj was the St. Louis Blues’ fifth pick (second round, 44th overall) in the 2007 NHL Entry Draft. He was acquired from the Blues on March 2, 2010, in return for Matt D’Agostini.

1. Rad says:

Only the 1st Round? I live in Arizona, so for me to make that trip would require the 3rd or 4th game of the Stanley Cup Finals. And yes, I completely believe we can make it to the Finals — and win the Stanley Cup THIS YEAR!

This under-manned, under-sized team simply will not be derailed, no matter what kind of adversity you throw at it. Missing 9 regulars including all-star defenceman Andrei Markhov and elite center Thomas Plekanec doesn’t seem to phase this team one bit. How about a serious neck injury to an up and coming FORCE at the power forward position? No problem. As a long time Habs fan going back to the days of the legendary Jean Beliveau, I have never been more proud of a Habs team than this one. The way they fight through injuries night after night, I have to consider them a legitimate contender for the Cup. To me, this current group of players feels like a team of destiny. This group has great team spirit and great goaltending, two features that have been known to win Stanley Cups. These players believe in each other. When Ryan White took on Johnny Boychuk in defense of Subban in that March 8th home game against the Bruins, he electrified the crowd and showed that this Habs team will not be intimidated by bullies. White is only 200 lbs, but it was a defining moment for the current Canadiens, comparable to that playoff game in the 1970’s when Larry Robinson crushed Gary Dornhoefer of the Broad Street Bullies against the boards in the old Montreal Forum with such force that he put a dent in the boards and the game had to be halted while workers repaired the rink. The Habs went on to win that game and several Stanley Cups thereafter. Could the same happen this year with a decimated lineup? To my way of thinking, it’s entirely possible for a Montreal team that doesn’t know how to quit.

2. observer says:

Everyone says New Jersey made an unbelievable comeback and they did, though they still should miss the playoffs. Probably winning Lemaire coach of the year. But no one mentions earlier in the season even if the previous coach flopped they were playing many games 5, 6 or more men missing on their bench because of cap reasons that their smart GM got them in.

• JD_ says:

Lemaire is awesome. He won’t win dick.

His predecessor was a great player who failed in his first outin’ as a coach. Lemaire took the team to where it should have been to begin with.

It’d be great to debate you if I didn’t think you were sittin’ around in a tattered bathrobe, shooin’ away the too-many cats, newspapers piled up everywhere, bills unpaid, and momma screamin’ at you to turn the TV down.

———

0 for 5 you’re batting .000
        1-dont have a bathrobe
        2-no cat or cats
        3-read many newspapers on the web every day , havent bought one in years
        4-bills paid 1st of month
        5-mother long passed away

• JD_ says:

Not yer real momma, moron, the one in yer head.

You are so effed up.

• Chuck says:

So from this we can deduce that:
          a) your neighbours hope that you keep your blinds closed, and
          b) you’re too cheap to buy a newspaper.

• observer says:

is gazette publishing on sunday? is the rocky mountain news publishing anyday? is the new york times near bankruptcy? etc., etc. you are too effing stupid to understand what i am saying. why buy a slanted politically correct oneside of the story newspaper when you can read both sides on the internet that one has to buy a computer and has to pay a provider each month. by the time you read the story in a printed newspaper it is YESTERDAYS NEWS – mr brain.

Are we finished with all call ups now, or can we bring up one more yet. League rules.!

I think we are allowed 1 more and that is it for the year.

• observer says:

No league rule saying your players cannot be injured anymore this season.

• Ian Cobb says:

Not sure how the rule works.

• JD_ says:

No worries, Ian. You’re spot on.

Apparently, the resident deranged guy is forecastin’ injuries.

• observer says:

Forecasting? How about hindsight!

• observer says:

JD – He said he is not sure how it works and you say “you’re spot on”?

And you think you are sane?

• Chuck says:

My turn to bring out the drum…

@JD

And if Daniel Day Lewis played hockey like he played Bill the Butcher in Gangs of New York I’d call him up in a New York minute or in this case a Boston minute for this game along with Conboy.

• JD_ says:

I am unimpressed by your capitulation, loser.

Nor are you amusin’.

Run along, bitch.

@JD

And I am not too impressed by your absolute stupidity and lowly common trash upbringing.

• JD_ says:

Heh.

You’re just not very good at this stuff, are you?

I suppose that may be a reflection of your life in general.

(Oh, and you’re still my bitch.)

(Don’t forget.)

• observer says:

Neither am I , but if any team had injuries this is one of them and they do allow for injury replacements. Hamilton may not go as far in the playoffs this year? I think after they are eliminated any can be called up? Correct me if I’m wrong?

• JD_ says:

Ian is self-deprecatin’. He doesn’t realize he’s right.

You’re completely nuts, my friend. Of that, I have little doubt. Seriously. I think you are effin’ nuts.

Please do ask around if you remain unsure of my certainty.

Freak.

• Chuck says:

Just for entertainment purposes, I’d like observer, Hab-Professor, etc. to take over the Leafs for a day and apply their whacked-out GM philosophies, just to see them turn the Buds into a last-place team again.

as i said breed a 2 iq drunk to a 1 iq woman of ill repute and presto

a common trash JD pops out – end of story!

jd trash

yes he’s right he does not know how many moves they can or cant make because of injuries. AND NEITHER DO YOU AIRHEAD GO GUZZLE ANOTHER CHEAP BEER!

• JD_ says:

Still think you suffer from a personality disorder.

I’m serious. You’re not completely in control of your behaviour.

Keep goin’, though.

(And remember…you’re my bitch.)

• Chuck says:

George Carlin had a great line: “I’ve never had a 10, but one night I had five 2’s.”

Apparently, good ol’ George and Observer’s mama hooked up.

• JD_ says:

I dunno. I’m not into the whole flamin’ scene.

Havin’ said that, it’s kinda fun to slap the ol’ kook around once in a while.

Keeps me on my toes.

• observer says:

on your toes? you are probably dead drunk on your back on the floor right now after those 2 cheap beers the way they affect your little mind.

• JD_ says:

45 minutes to rebut?

Coward.

4. observer says:

Re: “Palushaj was the St. Louis Blues’ fifth pick (second round, 44th overall) in the 2007 NHL Entry Draft. He was acquired from the Blues on March 2, 2010, in return for Matt D’Agostini.”

D’Agostini so far in this NHL season has 17 goals and 21 assists.

5. bwoar says:

Should be interesting to see how he’s progressed since his last foray. Do they not like Pyatt at center? I’m guessing that’s the deal.

6. observer says:

Conboy should be called up for Thursday’s game but Martin is too set in his pacifist ways.

• idle says:

Martin will be finalist for coach of the year this season

• observer says:

Not the point in this upcoming situation. If he is a candidate, he still would whether or not Conboy is called up for the Boston game. Lucic and others will go after Habs players especially now a few days after Subban got all this good publicity from his Sunday performance. And if they knew Habs had someone there on their bench like Conboy it just might change their tactics.

• Chuck says:

Yeah… smart move. Waste one of your last remaining callups for the season on someone who’ll play 30 seconds and get his ass kicked.

• observer says:

Injury replacement. Where is Palushaj? Is that a wasted callup? Or Enquist the last time? Etc. You don’t have a clue how many moves they can or can’t make after all these injuries that keep piling up, genius.

• JD_ says:

You got me thinkin’.

Daniel Day-Lewis is currently in production for an upcomin’ biopic of Abraham Lincoln. Sounds like brilliant castin’ and he’ll undoubtedly blow everyone’s socks off, kinda like he almost always does.

There’s a bone of contention regardin’ the followin’ quote, with some attributin’ it to Abe, others to Mark Twain. Point is, the message remains the same: “It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one’s mouth and remove all doubt.”

For longer than I can remember, I have not been hamstrung by doubt with respect to this particular momma’s shame.

• Chuck says:

Great… I’ve got to reply to myself in order to make a point with observer. What has this world come to?

Ok observer, you’re questioning my knowledge of callups, so if you think that you know better than I, please fill me in on exactly how many moves they can make before the end of the season, and why.

• observer says:

@Chuck – I do not know how many moves they can or can’t make with all these injuries they have suffered and never said I did, it was you who also does not know making a statement with no facts.

• JD_ says:

Drumroll…

• Chuck says:

“You don’t have a clue how many moves they can or can’t make after all these injuries that keep piling up, genius.”

Observer, for you to say that I don’t know what I’m talking about would infer that you believe that you do. And for you to admit that you don’t know what you’re talking about means that you can’t claim that I’m wrong, since you freely admit that you’re clueless about the subject.

Chuck
            THEN STATE THE EXACT NUMBER AND THE RULES FROM YESTERDAY TO THE END OF THE PLAYOFFS AND THE INJURY EXCEPTIONS!

I SAY YOU DO NOT HAVE A CLUE – PROVE ME WRONG OR

STFU!

• Chuck says:

Observer, how can I prove you wrong in an argument where you don’t even know what you believe to be true? I could tell you anything and claim I’m right, and you’d still have no idea what you’re talking about.

And to pull out and old school yard-ism… I asked you first, whacko.

7. Rudy says:

I want the “New” feature back to indicate new posts since your last visit :(

“Start the season with a clean equipment bag and a freah bucket of febreze!”-CharlieHodgeFan

8. Sounds like it will be Miller vs Habs.

___________________________________________

Note the new digs! but yeah I’m still on Twitter!

9. fuhgawz says:

if i signed up under an email address that is no longer available cause i switched companies anyone have an idea how i can get my avatar back without creating a new account? i have been on here for well over 3 years and now i am faceless.

10. jbern says:

So I’ve been visiting this site for over 3 years now but never bothered to make an account..

But with the new website I figured I’d come out from under the rocks :)

Excited for the game tomorrow! Should be a good one!

The Price is Right.

If I got 25 tickets for the 3rd or 4th game of the first round, How many people would want a mini summit in Mtl.

Maybe if one of the first two in Mtl. was on a Sat. night, that is what we should shoot for.

Any interest from out of towners.?

12. since1988 says:

I am unable to to register on Gravatar it says my user name is taken? Has anyone else had this issue. I don’t want to change my user name i’ve had it since the early days of HI/O (09 i think)

“When people agree with me i always feel that i must be wrong” – Oscar Wilde

• idle says:

Your username at Gravatar has nothing to do with your username here. You can pick any username at Gravatar and your avatar will still show based on your email address. Just use the same email address as you used to create your account here.

• fuhgawz says:

i dont have that issue i have the issue that i signed up under an email addy that no longer exists now i am screwed completely on getting my avatar and i do not want to create a new account anyone have any ideas on how i can get around this as well?

• idle says:

Just change your email address associated with HIO. If you click on your username above the ‘Leave a comment’ box (it’s beside where it says “Logged in as:”) and it will take you to your profile page. From there you should be able to change your email address to something you currently use. Then use that email address to create your Gravatar account.

• Bill J says:

Create a hotmail account for this purpose & ensure you update your profile here. Then yes create a new gravatar account, no way around it.

That or stay the visually nameless white dude.

Join the Facebook Group: Carey Price Is ALL HART in 2010/2011!.

• Ian Cobb says:

That happened to a lot of us, someone else will have to explain, My brain is unable.

• since1988 says:

thanks for all the tips think i got it to work

“When people agree with me i always feel that i must be wrong” – Oscar Wilde

13. Bugs says:

Friggin Pens can’t even LOSE right!

Chillin like MacMillan, potty-boy goes by the moniker L. Bugs Potter, esq.

14. Bill J says:

I asked earlier, no one seems to have replied.

Does this not mean the Habs only have one call-up left till the end of the playoffs ? Or am I wrong on this ?

Join the Facebook Group: Carey Price Is ALL HART in 2010/2011!.

15. RJB says:

Another fantastic game ruined by the shootout, and the Pens won

“I don’t know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.”
    – Bilbo Baggins

16. ooder says:

the thing about this site i find it doesn’t encourage conversations between members.
    only 5 replies and nothing to tell us whats a new thread

——————
    GWG = game winning gionta!

• idle says:

It’s 4 levels of replies. You don’t always need to drop down to a new level to reply to someones comment. Just keep going along on one level until the need arises to drop another.

Would be better to have more levels but it’s not uncommon to have 4 or even less and it’s easy enough to work around.

Won’t come up as a link.?

18. HabFanSince72 says:

Damn!

Wings come back to tie it at 4-4 against the Pens but lose in the shootout. We really needed the Pens to lose that one.

19. punkster says:

Hey, where did the fighting thread go?

***Subbang Baby!!!***

20. SeriousFan09 says:

Mike Modano scores his 560th career goal tonight, he ties with Guy Lafleur. He’s 4 behind Joe Nieuwendyk and Mats Sundin.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

21. stjrandy says:

Since it’s clear that a faceoff guy was badly needed I’m glad to see Engqvist recalled. There is no need to rush Halpern back into the lineup with Engqvist available. He’s big and very solid defensively by all current evidence. I can see Pyatt back on the wing on the fourth line against Buffalo. It’s nice to see all this depth for once.

Back from the Abyss
    “System,Speed,and Skill” – P Gauthier
    “too small and soft” – Everyone Else

22. Bill says:

I don’t know how Pittsburgh have been doing it. We lost Markov and Gorges. They lost frigging Crosby and Malkin! I seriously underestimated both their depth and their spirit: they’ve been hanging on with impressive fortitude. Even if they blow a 4-goal lead against a good team like the Wings, you have to admire the season they’ve had.

Full Breezer 4 Life

23. gmd says:

Pittsburgh in melt down mode, blowing a 4-0 lead

24. christophor says:

So much for those Pens.

25. TOEmastro says:

WOOT!!! Detroit just tied it up with Kovy in the box

Olé, olé, olé oleé

26. SeriousFan09 says:

Brendan Gallagher’s charity cause is close to his heart, check it out.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

OKAY. I did it. HardHabits is now on Twitter. I wonder how long it’ll take for the French shower sacs at TSN and ESPN to ban my sorry azz. Should be fun!!!

If I didn’t know better, I would almost think there was a complete conspiracy to have Cooke be the lamb for the NHL. I mean, while I agree with the punishment, we all know that this is punishment for him and him alone. I mean two days earlier Heatley does complete cheap dirty shot, Marchand same thing.

A dirty cheap head shot is a dirty cheap head shot. The Fricking NHL can’t be half pregnant on this (well we all know Gary can), when a player intentionally headshots a guy, fricking lower the boom on the guy with massive suspensions.

Speaking of which reminds me of that Marionnette that CHerry plays every saturday. Maclean on Sunday says suspensions aren’t working we have too bring back no instigator. Well Ronny, maybe if every dirty headshot got a 10 game suspension plus playoff rounds, we would see a detriment.

End of Rant…

29. wd40 says:

my car wouldn’t start today #blamesubban … wait a sec… this isn’t twitter!

30. Castor says:

Darn. Penguins winning.

I still do not understand what to put in the box called WEBSITE on my profile page, so that people can connect to my profile and e-mail me through the site.!?

And 2nd, why do we still have to scroll all the way to the bottom of the page to make a new comment.?

I know it is a learning curve for all of us HIO. So just keep informing us please on how to navagate better.

• Rob says:

hey Ian….at the moment you cannot direct someone to your profile. You could direct them to any site you want, so if you have your own website, for instance you could direct them there. But there’s no way to direct them to your profile on HIO for the moment. It was mentioned, however, in the other thread, that they are working towards re-adding that feature to HIO, so you should be able to access people’s profiles they way you used to be able to do shortly. hope that helps

The Montreal Canadiens: sporting the best AND worst fans since 1909!

• Bugs says:

Apparently, the profile feature hasn’t been enabled yet, Mr.Ian. It will be shortly according to a previous hio page.
      Right side of your keyboard should be a key called “End”. Press it if you don’t like to scroll. Other option to avoid scrolling would be to reply to someone who posted at the top of the page.

Chillin like MacMillan, potty-boy goes by the moniker L. Bugs Potter, esq.

32. forskis says:

Ugh…I hate Burnside and EJ Hradek…

http://twitter.com/EJHradek_ESPN – Hradek is still harping about a hit from behind Pacioretty laid out on Eaton of the NYI…calling it a terrible hit FROM DECEMBER that was unpunished AN HOUR AGO…are you saying Pacioretty deserved a broken neck? I do not see anyone else harping about non-calls on hits from EVERY other team in EVERY other game except those that involve the Habs.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/5770/5-things-goldwaters-motives-in-phoenix-preds-local-success-canucks-specialty – Burnside telling PK Subban to accept whatever gets dished out to him and to stop being a punk…last time I checked, he was acting like any other NHL player and keeps playing no matter what other players try to do to him…
    AAAAGGGGHHHHH

“I am guilty of using elipses…”

• SeriousFan09 says:

What a joke column, attacking a group that’s finally standing up for the taxpayers of Glendale who have been fleeced and seen public money thrown away time and again to prop up a failed sports franchise so the city council can cover up their corruption and incompetence.

Getting tired of the attacks on Subban, he plays up against the toughest competition in the league each night and doesn’t back down.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Scott Burnside made insulting bigoted comments about Canadians (not Canadiens) following the Pacioretty injury that would have gotten him fired had it been directed at just about any other nationality.

• Jim Edson says:

How far do they want to go back?

Maybe they should be discussing Vic Hadfield’s hit on Lou Fontinato in 1962 where his neck was broken?

Who am I: Mohamar Ghadaffi or Gary Bettman.

33. Jim Edson says:

Look who has commented (again) on Cooke’s suspension.

None other than the “lack of respect rookie” …….Brad Marchand!

Looks like the vets on the Bruins reigned in his mouth……NOT!

Who am I: Mohamar Ghadaffi or Gary Bettman.

34. Bugs says:

How in hell are the Pens still winnin games? They’re up 2-0 on friggin Detroit City, ferpetessakes.

Chillin like MacMillan, potty-boy goes by the moniker L. Bugs Potter, esq.

• SeriousFan09 says:

Because Jimmy Howard is terribly inconsistent and as much as I respect Mr. Nicklas Lidstrom, the guy is slowing down and can’t control the game as well as he used to.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

• Bugs says:

Is that why?
        Cuz Fleury ain’t Mr. Consistent either, and Lidstrom would still crack the top 2 d-man position on the Pen team. Surely, there’s more than that, no?

Chillin like MacMillan, potty-boy goes by the moniker L. Bugs Potter, esq.

• HardHabits says:

Getting rid of Matt Cooke might factor into the equation.

• Bugs says:

They were winnin before he got suspended, Double-H.

Chillin like MacMillan, potty-boy goes by the moniker L. Bugs Potter, esq.

• HardHabits says:

I can’t reply to your comment directly Bugsy so I’ma gonna has to comments on mine.

I was meaning this game in particular.

I do see your point about them winning without Crosby and Malkin. I guess Bylsma deserves some of the credit.

• SeriousFan09 says:

Despite Fleury’s flaws, just about every team in the NHL would take him over Jimmy Howard, including DET who are finally feeling the bitter taste of their “Screw goaltending” philosophy with a salary cap and a generational talent’s abilities fading away a bit each year now.

Detroit is a pretty strong team but it’s not as easy anymore to cover up their bad goaltending anymore.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

• Bugs says:

I can go along with accepting that Fleury is a better goalie than Howard if I had to but not that the difference between both talents is the reason why one team is beating the other at the moment, banana goals included.
            Pens are shuttin’em down all across the board; has Fleury MADE any saves yet?
            (Edit) Heck, it’s not even Fleury; it’s Johnson! Yahoo, c’mon…

Chillin like MacMillan, potty-boy goes by the moniker L. Bugs Potter, esq.

• Former Jets Fan says:

Datsyuk being injured, again, might factor into the equation.

• samTHEman says:

How long into the Bruins game before a fight sparks up? (probably White Moen Mara or Pouliot).

On Bruins hit list:

Pouliot
      Subban
      Pacioretty (check mark)

• FastCentennial says:

this is unbelievable 4-0 for pens wow…they dont have two of their best players and Fleury isn’t even playing.

JD

35. dre1744 says:

The caps are shutting down Ovie for about 10 days!!!!!!!! goood news for Saturdays game!!!!!!

36. aemarchand11 says:

Not that we want to approach the game with wrong gameplan, however would a call up such as Ian Schultz be good for the fourth line against Boston? We have proven that we can beat them in most games, but Boston is all about cheapshots so some extra muscle would be appreciated.

I read that he was starting to find the scoresheet.. would a one game audition be a bad idea?

2010-2011

• Guy-Guy-Guy says:

We’re not going to beat Boston playing their game. We beat Boston with our speed, and better special teams. The next game needs to be no different.

• aemarchand11 says:

Not the intention of playing their game, its more of an insurance policy so if things get out of hand. They have last change, and you know if the game is a landslide on the scoresheet what can happen.

“I have a different constitution. I have a different brain; I have a different heart; I got tiger blood, man.” – Charlie Sheen.

37. Kristopher7 says:

Good on Shero for his response to NHL decision.

“The suspension is warranted because that’s exactly the kind of hit we’re trying to get out of the game. Head shots have no place in hockey. We’ve told Matt in no uncertain terms that this kind of action on the ice is unacceptable and cannot happen. Head shots must be dealt with severely, and the Pittsburgh Penguins support the NHL in sending this very strong message.”

38. fbkj says:

my avatar just wont work

*sigh*

39. V says:

On another note, I have been hearing a few things from people who say there are rumours of serious divisions in the Bruins dressing room.

Is this something others have heard… I only raise it here because if true it’s great news for the Habs.

• SeriousFan09 says:

Wouldn’t surprise me, I think there were some problems the last time Homo Sapiens and Neanderthals shared an environment.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

• Rugger says:

I can see it, too much change at the deadline, sending out players who were part of the success.

• JF says:

The guys on CBC were talking about it during the Bruins-Leafs game on Saturday. Apparently Julien “humiliated” (their word) one of the young players; I don’t know exactly what happened. And Rask has been showing signs of frustration. He threw his stick in the Nashville game and raised his arms in frustration and glared at his defenceman after a goal in the Toronto game. A few weeks ago, Andrew Ference criticized whatever Bruin was suspended, or at least approved the suspension. There may be other incidents. The Bruins blogger on the Hockeybuzz site was dismayed at the team’s lack of intensity in the Toronto game. If all this stuff is true and the Bruins have a short playoff run, Claude Julien will be gone.

• samTHEman says:

The only players in that room that still have my respect despite being a bruin are Kaberle, Ryder and Bergeron. If i was a bruin fan (thank god im not) i would probably hate subban (media created). but the fact of the matter is subban > any bruin, so they can can it and eat horse s***

40. Keith says:

On the Matt Cooke suspension: The NHL got it right as far as THEY are concerned, but remember, Cooke is a 5 time offender and 4 of those suspensions were deliberate hits to the head and or blindside hits. This guy is gonna kill someone someday. IMHO he should have gotten the 10 game AND the entire playoffs, no matter whether Pittsburgh makes it all the way to the finals. He is a dangerous player and I doubt that he has learned any lesson. If I were Ray Shero, I would buy him out and eat the cap hit. Scum like Cooke have no place in hockey.

41. V says:

Glad to see the Cooke suspension and think it’s about the right term.

I must confess feeling just a tiny bit sorry for some of these players like Cooke though… if you watch the replay, that elbow flying up is pure reflex. His elbows have been flying up in similar circumstances for over 20 years and he has been rewarded for that style of play with a salary that enables him to afford the loss of $200k for about 15% of his season.

Now the rules have changed and he needs to retrain that arm to not do that anymore. In a game like hockey that relies so much on reflex, it must be very difficult to retrain such fundamental reactions. And it has to be done.

PK is going to get a lot more attention and respect around the league, but when your the best, you expect it.
    The best thing is, he can handle it, and also you Cherry! clown.

43. habinypsi says:

Looks like pleks and halpern will be out for awhile.

Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra and then suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath. At night, the ice weasels come.
    Matt Groening, “Life in Hell”

44. captaink4life says:

Ugh… Hockey Inside/Out just doesn’t have the same ring to it

You will always be a Canadien in my eyes, Saku

Palushaj was ok… didn’t set the world on fire. neither will this enquist guy. What’s the ETA on Pleks?

• samTHEman says:

Renaud Lavoie tweeted that Plek and Darche both skated and could make a return this week. Halpern skated alone and without equipment. His case seems to be more serious and he’s probably out for a bit longer.

46. AH says:

After watching last nights game, can you imagine a D with a healthy Markov, PK and Wiz?! Add in Gill, Gorges, and a take no prisoners, bruiser shut downguy, and then have Sopel/Mara as your 7th d, we’d be laughing! On Mara: when they re-acquired him i was happy as I knew he’d add some grit, have to chuckle now though; as soon as I lauded his ability and willingness to fight, one poster questioned it and another called him a “gentle giant”…whatever.

47. Psycho29 says:

Wow…TSN just did their “Honour Roll”, Sunday’s best plays.

Mikko Koivu’s penalty shot makes it. P.K. Subban’s first goal was not even shown…..

48. lavie says:

It’s straight and simple, Engqvist is a big guy. Skill or weight, either is good for current Habs.

49. Phil_T says:

love the new website, guys!

50. Iceberg84 says:

On the Cooke suspension: couldn’t be happier, but I wonder if this would have happened had Crosby not been concussed earlier this season. I don’t remember when Lemieux made his comments, but I’m pretty sure the Penguins only started making noise after their star player got taken out. Prior to that they had nothing to say about guys like Cooke who got what he deserved. It’s basically the pot calling the kettle black I guess. Still, I hope the Habs climb high enough to face Pittsburgh in the first round to rub it in Cooke’s face. I’m still bitter about the injury to Markov last season which was basically responsible for his injuries this season.

• Nahlsy says:

Mario’s comments followed the Islanders game in which the Islanders had had enough of watching the Penguins take their players’ heads off, specifically Comeau who had been hit in the head by both Letang and Talbot this year already and both of those penalties were removed from existence to avoid suspensions.
      Mario spoke up about repeat offenders later, after Gillies was suspended again for bumping Clutterbuck after Clutterbuck drove his linemate head first into the boards on a hit from behind for no call.

51. Nahlsy says:

Ready to wretch?

“I think it’s about time he gets [suspended],” Bruins forward Brad Marchand said. “He needs to be taught a lesson. He’s doing that stuff left, right and center. I expect he’ll get a bunch of games. He’s got to be taught a lesson. He can’t be running around doing that stuff all the time. He’s going to seriously hurt someone again — look at Savvy. He could have easily hurt McDonagh.”

Isn’t Marchand serving a suspension for an elbow to the back of the head of an unsuspecting victim right now? A rookie blasts the Habs hrs before his captain breaks one of their kids’ necks and now a veteran for getting suspended for a lesser elbow than the one he just threw and got suspended for? I bet Cherry and Richards must hate that sort of thing, can’t wait to hear them race to criticize him for it over and over and … wait, Don, Mike? Where’d you guys go now?

HockeyDB has Palushaj at
    Height 6.00 – Weight 183
    and
    Wiki says
    Height 6 ft 0 in (1.83 m)
    Weight 185 lb (84 kg; 13 st 3 lb)

He looks bigger than 5’11’ 174 lbs.

53. samTHEman says:

Cooke to forfeit 220K in salary. Gomez must want to kill himself if he were to ever be suspended.

54. nick says:

Just thinking out loud here but I find the Cooke suspension seems a little excessive.

Didn’t Marchand and Heatley get 2 the other day for basically the same play? Ok so you take Cooke’s history in account. Of course, in doing so your only looking at issues he was handed down a suspension… As the NHL will have you believe, you can’t take into account plays, injuries which did not result in a suspension right? Isn’t that the point they were trying to make with Chara and why he got off with out anything?

That comes out 2 for the hit + the what 4-6 for being a repeat offender? I saw 6-8 games… 10 max… To almost double that… I dunno, feels like a little much.

I get the impression that the NHL is over compensating where it feels it can, and doing the opposite when it feels it can get away with it. Since the Chara hit, it seems as though their trying to send messages a little more so where possible… No one is complaining too much about Cooke’s suspension and the message has been sent.

Does that make any sense? Or am I way off in left field on this one?

• Nahlsy says:

Cooke’s suspension is a lifetime achievement award

• samTHEman says:

Absolutely agree. But in the end, it’s Matt Cooke, so I don’t care if he ever plays again. Like you said, the league is trying to send messages regarding headshots. The hype around this started RIGHT AFTER Chara’s hit on Pacioretty. But I thought it was purely a hockey play gone wrong? Haha…

• The Cat says:

Of course youre right. Thats why theres no set amount of games for a suspension: to make examples out of Cooke, and to let people like Ovechkin off the hook…But seriously, how stupid is Cooke to be trying his luck like that. 10 games is ok -2 for the hit and 8 games for the low I.Q.

55. Sandy says:

Off the subject but Craig Anderson @ 3.187 per season?

56. habstrinifan says:

Watching the interaction between White and Subban during the game last night and the huge smiles on the faces of White ,Desharnis and the ‘youth’ squad on our team is a total delight to me as a fan. To see Carey toss his toque on the ice in unison with the celebration. Amazing.

I forgot how cool it felt to see young players who know no other NHL team but Les Canadiens grow up in front of our eyes. This is the MOST IMPRESSIVE aspect of this season. The emergence of this team as a a whole new generation of seemingly star quality ‘home grown’ Canadiens. Kinda prideful. I have so much optimism for the future.

And yes I count Lars Eller in that group and I hope Benoit Pouliot becomes one.

I appreciate Cammy and Gomez and Gionta and the older guys on defense, but I love the way this team is being ‘taken over’ by the youth.

While on the youth I wish to give my take on two items regarding Benoit Pouliot.

Item number 1. I hope the organization does not give up on him until he has gone through the growth and training periods to put on some pounds on his upper body. If you watched him prior to the game vs Mini you can tell this guy needs lots of muscle added to his upper body. That’s the physical side.

When you hear him say that he didnt ‘feel good at all’ before the game in Minny and when you have spent time reading up on his junior career and the emotional mountains he has had to climb, you will see that part of this young man’s requirement is CONFIDENCE in life. I hope that there are people in our organization who have clicked on this and provide the professional assistance. This is one player I DO NOT want to see exit the organization without EVERY avenue having been explored to develop what seems to be loads of natural talent and responsible work ethic, albeit with inconsistency. But I think when his confidence for life improves, he will be a hugely consistently productive and tough player.

57. The Cat says:

I feel soulless without my avatar.

58. Bill J says:

OK – unsure about this – but does this mean the Habs only have one call up left till the end of the season ?

Join the Facebook Group: Carey Price Is ALL HART in 2010/2011!.

59. filincal says:

I wouldn’t mind getting rid of headshots completely like the NFL, yet I don’t know how it would apply when fighting is legal (which I feel is a necessary evil).

I BLEED BLEU BLANC ET ROUGE!!!

• Nahlsy says:

Fighting isn’t legal, fighting is already a major penalty and is often much more than that when the misconducts and game misconducts start kicking in.

60. Mattyleg says:

Ten games and 1st round of playoffs for Cooke?

…so that’s 14 games in total. Not a big deal, but I’m sure it makes G. Cambpell feel like C. Campbell.

Shoulda been longer. Cooke’s a disgrace.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• SLYDER says:

i think this could work out

if the pens have a successful finish to the season AND win a playoff series without him – why would they tinker with a winning line up just to fit him into the roster??

Mario is smarter than that – i doubt we will see him in a pens uniform ever again

61. filincal says:

Not sure if this move is because of Palus’ play, or our need for a centre because of the seriousness of injuries to the two hurt ones.

62. Fiat says:

Although handcuffed by some large burdensome contracts ,Gauthier has made some pretty good moves . I sort of like the idea of burying Gomez next year.

63. Danno says:

Aaron looked good especially the first game where he did everything but put it in the net. Wish him well and hope to see him back.

______________________________________________________
    “Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

64. Fiat says:

Cook seems like Biker gang material.

You can be sure, Mario will not keep him around next year.
    Cook is a neighbour of mine, and nobody wants to see him around here either, not even his family. Piece of work he is.!

66. habstrinifan says:

Palushaj sent down Engqvist called up. I like the movement of players giving the coaches chance to see their players. Keep working Palushaj and come show us your stuff Engqvist.

I like fact Engqvist is centre and bigger too. Hope it does not mean Pleks injury is worse than thought.

• Ian Cobb says:

Training camp under fire, great for the coaches and GM to see.

What a team we are going to have next fall to choose from also.
      As long as they don’t take up two floors of the Montreal General Hospital again next year.

• habstrinifan says:

LOL. I like how they kept Dawes. One may argue that Palushaj looked more comfortable than Dawes in both games but Dawes because of size, current development level and experience was the correct one to retain. I like how this administration is doing stuff now… except in some areas LOL.

67. Fiat says:

He is good at faceoffs . The habs are getting whiped badly last few games on faceoffs .

68. habs63 says:

I was impressed with Palushaj. Had a couple of scoring chances and played hard. I hope to see him back in the show next year.

69. smiler2729 says:

Get a load of the crap spewing from this idiot’s mouth!!

From TSN.ca:
    Boston Bruins winger Brad Marchand, who just completed a two-game suspension for his elbow to the head of an opposing player, told ESPN that Cooke needs to be taught a lesson by the league.

“I think it’s about time he gets [suspended],” Marchand said. “He needs to be taught a lesson. He’s doing that stuff left, right and centre. I expect he’ll get a bunch of games. He’s got to be taught a lesson. He can’t be running around doing that stuff all the time. He’s going to seriously hurt someone again – look at (Marc Savard). He could have easily hurt McDonagh.”

What a maroon. Typical Bruin idiot.

*Perfectly content as a HABS I/O member for 3 years 16 weeks… now forced here, grrrrrrr.

70. Dee says:

Cook got suspended for thr rest of the season (10 Games) 1st,round of Playoffs.Mario should dump him.
    TSN.

Habs Fan 4 Ever and Ever Amen.

71. samTHEman says:

I always wondered why they didn’t call up White and Engqvist in the first place. We lose 2 centres and call up 2 forwards? I liked what I saw from Engqvist when he was up here. Pretty solid

72. since1988 says:

Cooke suspended. I find it hilarious that the TSN article qoutes Brad Marchand saying Cooke needed to be taught a lesson.

“When people agree with me i always feel that i must be wrong” – Oscar Wilde

• Strabo says:

I found that very funny as well. I hope those words come back to bite him in the derierre.

“Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not sure about the former.” Albert Einstein

73. SeriousFan09 says:

Habs want to firm up defensively on the bottom 6 I guess. Palushaj still needs to get stronger for the NHL, he was getting rubbed out too easily, could also mean Halpern is expected to be out longer.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

• Strabo says:

That’s what I was thinking SF. Halpern is banged up a little more than first thought.

• JF says:

RDS had pictures of Plekanec and Halpern skating today. Plekanec looks great and could be ready to go, but Halpern was clearly not comfortable.

74. HFX-HabFan says:

The fact they’re calling up a centre suggests that Pleks/Halpern could be out for a while.

75. NoTinFoilCups says:

At least Howard doesn’t pass Price for wins.