Canadiens buy out Laraque contract

Georges Laraque’s days with the Canadiens are officially over after the Canadiens announced on Tuesday that they have bought out the final year of his three-year, $4.5-million contract.

The team originally announced on Jan. 21 that they would buy out the 33-year-old enforcer. Laraque receives $1 million, and the Canadiens will take a $500,000 salary cap hit for the next two seasons.

1. Storm Man says:

Where in my post do I say anything about Price?????? I cheer for the team not someones name on the back of the best jersey in all of sports. I was asking you what Halak has won.

2. Slovak says:

:)) unbelieveable – I have no arguments for blind people, because I don’t know what should happen in order to open your eyes. You talk the same shhitt about “playoff run” while I talk about his long time performance curve…  This is your fight, good luck… give your Price big kiss – he will need it, when HABS will be loosing game after game :)

3. Shublips says:

No real surprise here.

Can’t wait to see what the Habs do heading into the draft.  This should be an interesting summer!

For the full Habs press release, read here:

Habs Addict.com http://www.HabsAddict.com on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Habs-Addict/293450486615 on Twitter: http://twitter.com/KamalPanesar

4. Storm Man says:

What has Halak won???? This team had a goalie who won the Heart and Vezina in the same year(2002) Do you know what kind of list I could give you of Goalie’s that have had a good season and playoff run?.

5. Clay4bc says:

Your posts have consistently shown a lack of intellect and rational thinking, and this is no exception. I can only assume your comment refers to my signature…

I suggest that you leave such matters to your intellectual betters, since you seem to lack the will to investigate matters on your own before throwing out such a bold statement based on complete ignorance of the facts of the case.. Emery did nothing to warrant jail time in Canada – not did he conduct business in the USA, where he is being persecuted and prosecuted. But don’t take my word for it – do your own research. If and when you do, I would be happy to rationally discuss the merits of the case with you.

Good day to you.

__________________________

“Peoples will only be truly free when the last king is strangled by the bowels of the last priest” Francois Laignelot -

FREE MARC EMERY, POLITICAL PRISONER!

6. sholi2000.com says:

Break the Law and you go to Jail!

They Call Me Shane

7. gumper says:

How much money does that free up?

8. G-Man says:

Their last Geoffrion didn’t set the world on fire, and, no, you don’t waste draft picks on “legacies.” Gonna pick 1 of Gretzky’s sons next because of his name?

9. Slovak says:

What if Halak

is only at the starting point of his great career and he will be even better next year and next year and next year??? According to facts – his overall performances, his long time performance curve, his ability to come back from horrible game, his ability to focus under hell pressure, his skills, his potential, his ability to work hard on his weaknesses – so according to these PROVEN FACTS - the scenario that he will be even better next season and his price will be even higher IS MUCH MORE PRESUMABLE – than the other way around – that he is just one time wonder and will go only down.

None of the previous “short time wonder goaltenders” have all the abilities that Halak has namely the most important 2 – ability to stay calm and focused under any conditions and ability to come back from bad time games – these are signs of superstar goaltender – because “HEAD” is the difference – you can have skills and potential, when your “Head” will not allow them to show – and you all know this from everyday life situations…

You can trade Halak but there is bigger chance that HABS will be standing in situation looking for great goaltender after next seasson because Price is just a hope and even in his best year he was not able to deal with the pressure in playoff and suddenly he looked like a rookie, which he still is – HE IS NOT A N.1 GOALIE AT THIS TIME – yes maybe he will develop to this possition. But he will be still missing the mental power that Halak has. And also he will never be as quick as Halak because of his big body. Yes he covers bigger part of nets but when skilled forward knows where to shoot he need quick reflexes – and here Halak is quicker.

But maybe Price will be superstar – maybe he will – maybe and maybe I can develop and become superstar goalie or you can or…

Who wants to be a superstar goalie?

10. mrstewart61 says:

But your cap hit is low - very low.

———————————————————————————————————————-

If a man speaks in a forest where no woman can hear him, is he still wrong?

11. W35T5ID3 says:

If jeff skinner is still around at our 27th overall selection we must take him.He’d be a steal.Hes gonna be a beauty.But i highly doubt he’ll be available come our time 2 pick.

12. arya13 says:

-1st line centre

-Big guy who would destroy on a line with Camm/Gionta

-Cap hit goes down

-Gomez and Kovalev would make for some DAMN beautiful Hockey even though it wouldn’t get you many points

Negatives:

-If he can’t handle the Ottawa media….

-Playoff Heart? Even though I think we have enough heart that we can instill ethic in almost anyone

-Still a 7M hit with NTC, and for 5 years, thats quite an investment.

Thoughts: We need the offensive power, Gomez is great for what he does but if you bring back Pleks, you are going to need someone to help out with offense. Gomez just doesn’t score enough goals and with a great 2 way player like Pleks/Gionta, Gomez’s role isn’t as crucial. With what I think is becoming a great defense, a solid 1st liner is what we need if want to threaten. This guy can park it in front of the net. It’s a risk but I think it could have a potentially great payoff. And it seems that he has shown that even with NTC, if the media gets on him and he isn’t doing that good, he’ll ship out so worst case is that within 2 years he’ll be gone if it doesn’t work out. I say go for it (especially if we can trade 1st round picks to move up and grab the Boone’s goliath). 1st line centre plus big ass tough guy. Thats how you contend!

13. Clay4bc says:

Perhaps you mistook my post for a defense of the other “buffoons”, as you so charmingly put it. Not so – rather, it was solely an indictment of Gomez and the idiots who brought him and his grossly inflated salary to Montreal. In a cap era, no less.

And really, who cares if he brings the best out of Gionta? That just means that for a combined 12.35 million a season, we get what amounts to one good player who score a combined 40 goals per season. Excuse me for thinking that  at 7 million (plus), Gomez alone should earn enough to pay for 40 goals, and Gionta’s 5 mil should (and did) pay for his near 30.

Bottom line is that Gionta is worth all the money he makes. Gomes is not worth more than 3.5 mil. Likely less. At 7.35 milllion, 12 goals amounts to “fecal matter” in my books.

__________________________

FREE MARC EMERY, POLITICAL PRISONER!

14. Bugs says:

Dear, Hab management,

Why don’t you buy ME out? Honestly, I can man up. I ain’t doin SPIT for yehs. Honest.

Listen, it’s humiliating, but I gotta man up to it. Just gimme… like… ten grand, I walk away, you walk away, we’re all still friends, it’s cool, and that’s like…what…six bucks over three years? I mean, C’MON!

Cuz I honestly ain’t helpin yehs ‘cept for runnin my yap and those folk are all around and a dime a dozen and I can’t even REMEMBER the last time I dropped’em against Chara or…hell, ACTUALLY scored a goal and…well… that makes me feel bad. Maybe you should buy me out is all…

Gimme-gimme-gimme!

Keepin it real, I be chillin as

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Brotha to the Man with the Plan, Product-runnin Lead Houndogg with the Voodoo Flannel Posse, and Pimp Extraordinaire of Habsbros’ Mama Jones Snow Cones, muthafugga: http://habsbros.blogspot.co

15. crabvader says:

At least he gets the best out of Gionta.

Who the hell do those aformentioned buffoons get the best out of? Their agents?

Also, he finished with 59 pts in 78 games. It’s DEFINITELY NOT what you would hope for when being paid that much, but at least he’s producing something other than fecal matter.

16. Clay4bc says:

Or our very own Gomez, who weighs in at over $613 000 per goal. What a bargain…

What a joke that contract is.

__________________________

FREE MARC EMERY, POLITICAL PRISONER!

17. shootdapuck says:

Blindsided! Couldn’t see this coming!

Who’s next a Belorussian?

Slow news day in the Habs world?

“The three stars as selected by Red Fisher of the Montreal Star:
    1st star: Henri Richard
    2nd Star: Doug Harvey
    3rd Star: Jacques Plante

Final score Detroit Red Wings 5 Montreal Canadiens 3″

18. crabvader says:

But it will count as 500k per individual year, right?

19. megagoten says:

i wouldn’t mind signing mara for dirt cheap, considering how i’m not expecting too many suitors

20. zak says:

Rumor has it that Spezza is disgruntled in Sensville. I wonder if they’d trade Spez for gomez

21. megagoten says:

ooh, david desharnais

nino neidetter

Kirill kabanov

..for everyone (like me) who missed the alliteration

22. Dethroner says:

maybe the habs could trade their 1st round pick and the rights to halak to tampa for their second and their first?

get neiderreiter and kabanov? they would both probably be able to crack the habs lineup…call up david desharnais and call it the alliteration line!

gomez gionta cammalleri pouliot lapierre moen markov subban gorges neiderreiter kabanov desharnais hammerlik spacek moore pyatt gill

sign ellis or nittymaki for cheap…resign price….

that is a pretty sick lineup actually. more size, more speed…..super solid defence and a great goalie tandem.

Times two years.

24. efficient88 says:

Wow, this is not a joke. Huge investment on Georges Laraque.

25. Nina76 says:

we will see how great he is no one can predict how a player will progress

26. Chuck says:

Great. Along with Gionta and Gomez, BGL was the only Canadien to end the season on a one-game goal scoring streak… and we buy him out? Sheesh…

_____________________________________

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

27. SeriousFan09 says:

NSH scouts seemed to spot something, just saying, seems wrong the Canadiens didn’t take a closer look at a family tree that produced two NHL legends.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

28. gumper says:

Maybe still a bit gun shy after signing Danny Geoffrion. (Boomer’s son, I believe.) We all know how well that worked out.

29. smiler2729 says:

Yeah Dan was less than what was supposed to be.

30. SeriousFan09 says:

NCAA Hobey Baker winner Blake Geoffrion was signed by the Nashville Predators today, he is the grandson of Boom Boom Geoffrion and the great-grandson of Howie Morenz and yes, MTL did miss out on drafting him. Ugh, can’t believe the team missed out on a legacy player like this, Blake could be the first 4th-generation NHL player in a family.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

31. crabvader says:

Apparently it’s only 500k on our actual cap usage.

32. SeriousFan09 says:

So the father wasn’t that good you have to ignore the son? Rather short-sighted I would say. There was a serious amount of talent in the bloodline after all, team could’ve checked him out a bit.

Or was Ben Maxwell a better choice…

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

33. rogieshan says:

If you remember Danny Geoffrion, then you would know why the Habs didn’t pursue Blake.

34. SeriousFan09 says:

Niederreiter is likely a Top 10 selection, it’s been suggested he may go as high as #6 in the draft.

We’ll see what comes in the draft, would be interesting to see a shakeup and the Canadiens move up a bit in the draft, I like the idea of Mcllrath being the deterrent on the blue line in the future.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

35. crabvader says:

I really hope that’s the case.

It would be nice to have guys from our country in the team.

I’d still pass them all up for a shot at Nino Niederreiter though.

36. SeriousFan09 says:

I have a feeling the scouting firings was a shot across the bow for Timmins himself to reconsider his drafting strategy, with the flak the team has taking for choosing Mr. Hockey’s over local boys lately…

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

37. crabvader says:

My first pick:

Anybody who isn’t from Minnesota.

Lol…

But seriously, I’d say Kirill Kabanov, Boone’s boy McIlrath or Ryan Martindale.

I don’t want Brock Nelson simply because he’s from Minnesota.

I’m ready to bet money that Timmins will nab him up if he’s still available, haha.

We have enough kids from Minnesota, some good, some not so good. By some being good I mean Danny Kristo… yeah.

My biggest hope would be to trade up and get El Nino.

38. sholi2000.com says:

My First pick at next week’s draft.

Quinton Howden

They Call Me Shane

39. SeriousFan09 says:

Worst contract in the league is Jonathan Cheechoo, who made 700K per goal this last season.

Or Wade Redden, he made about 700k per point.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

40. Storm Man says:

I understand Halak is the guy you cheer for…. I was just asking before you give him the keys to the HHOF what has Halak won? he has had one good playoff run I could give you a list of guys who have done that in the past 10 years. And what about the guy the Flyers had in net for their run to the cup? Guess he must be great also as he shut us out in 3 games. One year does not make one a allstar. Cheer for the team.

41. camel_larry says:

Brand new “worst contract in the league” candidate:

Kimmo Timminen (or however you spell it) made 7-freaking-million this year.

42. Slovak says:

Look at his performances in long term, not just the playoff – despite he has won nothing yet his long term performance curve is still going up…

43. SeriousFan09 says:

1 million on the cap, but most people have already figured this in to likely cap estimates, the big news was the cap likely going up by 2 million this year.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

44. alestar says:

Don’t need to buy them out, they are all UFA’s…

XXIV…and counting

45. alestar says:

Finally…now BGL can focus on his acting career!

XXIV…and counting

46. Habsforlife 1959 says:

Who’s next? MAB, Mara and Metro for starters?

47. Slovak says:

Nothing, if for winning only 1st place counts.

I just heard that Laraque started eating meat and wants to get back in the NHL and start beating the crap out of people for no reason.

49. lavie says:

Who cares? Both Gainey and Laraque are gone.

50. HabFanSince72 says:

Gainey’s not gone.

51. avatar_58 says:

It’s funny how I went from “terrible player, but good guy” to completely hating everytime I hear this guy’s name. Such a media and attention whore.

52. SeriousFan09 says:

Good riddance, exit another useless waste of space in the NHL. Tired of boxers who can’t skate, ruins the idea of a high-speed, skilled NHL.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

53. marshx says:

His time has passed in the NHL plain and simple. If he could skate better he could maybe hit some people, it didnt help no one would fight him lol ..

54. habsfan321 says:

Someone explain to me why the Habs didn’t try putting Laraque on waivers?

Not sure how accurate this is but http://www.nhlscap.com/no_trade.htm says: Georges
    Laraque, MTL – NTC  [full NMC for 2008-09; after July 1, 2009
    Laraque names six (6) teams in both the Eastern Conference and Western

Conference that he will accept a trade to]

55. showey47 says:

Cause his NMC means he can’t be put on waivers. I’m sure there were 6 teams he would accept a trade to,but it doesn’t mean any of those 6 teams wanted him. I’m guessing the trade option was explored but there was probably zero interest.

56. HabFanSince72 says:

No one wants him. He is washed-up and always injured.

57. habsfan321 says:

I understood that to mean his NMC was only for the 08-09 season. After that, it becomes a no trade clause where he can select 6 teams… If it’s a no trade clause, he could be waived.

I guess it’s remains a no movement clause with a trade clause rather than becoming a traditional “no trade clause” after 08-09. Ohh well…

58. SeriousFan09 says:

Another reason I don’t want Bertuzzi within a thousand miles of this organization.

He’s suing his coach to pay the damages he’s paying to Steve Moore for the sucker punch. Wonderful world isn’t it? No one is responsible for anything anymore.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

59. topher5468 says:

What a joke and a loser Bertuzzi is. I hope this loser never has the priviledge of wearing the CH.

“It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

60. Mr. Biter says:

If we sigh that c*&^s$%^ker Bertuzzi I’m outta here. i have a long memory and if DM is still here no doubt he has to. That was and still is one of the sickest cowardly hit from behind i ever saw and i still am waiting for him to get his just reward.

Gainey looks sick on this transaction.  Who in their right mind gives a NMC to a 4th line player?  Lesson learned.

62. pmaraw says:

the name boogaard comes to mind

63. G-Man says:

Hindsight is 20/20. Whodathunk his balls would drop off and he’d grow breasts?