Canadiens beat TB with ease

Cole
There isn’t much time to celebrate.
The Canadiens boarded a charter immediately after the game and play Carolina Thursday evening.
Erik Cole will be gunning for more goals n a rink he knows well.

Pat Hickey’s game story

Quotes from the room

Red Fisher’s column

Dave Stubbs on Steven Stamkos

Mike Boone: What if …?

Arpon Basu’s game story

Pierre Ladouceur’s game report card

Damphousse drops out of GM search

Enough Milbury already!

Grigorenko is Q’s best

Wings beat Blues

1. RobertAlanFord says:

Dear Mr. Molson

If by some chance you are reading this, I’d like to give my input on why Jim Nill should be considered as the next GM of the Canadiens.

I will start by getting the delicate issue out of the way which is obviously about putting an anglophone in the big chair. The priority for a GM in the National Hockey League is to be able to communicate with other GMs, beit in person, by phone or email. I highly doubt that any kind of communication to another GM has left that office in French as it would most probably be deleted or disregarded completely (that would explain the absence of blockbuster trades in the past decade). As for addressing the media, having an assisstant who is fluent in both languages would be able to help fill that void. I think it would be more important to focus on hiring a bilingual coach seeing as though he would be the one talking to the media on almost a daily basis. My last point on this subject could be tagged under the old saying “ignorance is bliss”. It is no secret that some journalists and analysts with La Presse, Jounal de Montreal and L’Antichambre have and can rip apart any name at the first scent of blood. Being the GM of the Montreal Canadiens is, I’m sure, a very stressful position to be in. Perhaps being ignorant to any heat being fired them would releive some of pressure and allow them to focus on their job and not think about how their next move will be interpreted on the front page. I will say nothing more on this subject.

My next point is very simple, we need new blood in that office. Not some former Hab who has had various postions within the organization. We need a new point of view. Someone who can look at every aspect of how things are run without bias. Someone who is experienced, someone who is well respected around the league and someone who can handle the rebuild. Jim Nill is all these things. If there is anyone that you hand three picks in the top sixty this year and four in the next to, its this guy. Between him and Trevor Timmins you can be assured that you are getting the best possible players in those drafts and that is the key to rebuilding this franchise. No more waiting for blockbuster trades or big UFA signings. The name of the game now is patience and Jim Nill has been doing it for over fifteen years.

You stated in your press conference that you were looking for the right man for the job and the only choice I can see fitting that criteia is Jim Nill. I understand that he has been offered positions before and turned them down but every man has a price. Please sir, whatever it takes. If money isnt an issue then buy him a house, his favorite car, an island in the carribean even. Hey, if Johnny Depp can afford one Im sure the Canadiens can. This is potentially one of the most pivotal moments in this franchise’s history and I cant think of anyone else who could handle the responibility as well as Jim Nill.

Robert Alan Ford

Dear Mr. Nill

If by some chance you are reading this Id like you to consider my arguments as to why you should be taking the reins in Montreal.

This is potenitally one of the most pivotal moments in the history of the Montreal Canadiens and given your pedigree I can see no other person who could handle this responsibility. With three picks in the top sixty this year and four in the next, this team could be one of the best we’ve seen in decades. You are no stranger to building a team from within and the example you have set with Detroit speaks for itself.

Montreal has the greatest fans and the richest history in our sport. The passion for this team to succeed is around every corner, in every home and any bar, shop, or restraunt you walk into. The people of Montreal deserve the best and I beleive that begins with you taking over as General Manager of the Montreal Canadiens.

I urge you, Mr. Nill, to submit your candidacy to Mr. Molson in the coming weeks. No price is too high for your services and I’m pretty sure I’ve heard a romour about them buying you an island in the Carribbean.

Robert Alan Ford

2. Sakus Evil Twin says:

IN response to the never-ending-trail-below-regarding-the-Canadiens-cultural-relevance topic, I’m kinda stunned that people see it in binary definition.

The way I see it is that if the need to represent a culture outweighs the need or desire to win, then this team has no business being a part of Major League sports. And I say that with no bias toward language or politics.

The Canadiens, given their rich, rich history should not settle for just being competitive. That sounds like ‘loser’ to me.

If cultural identity is key – then let the PR and Marketing spin doctors do their thing and wrap them up in a Fleur de Lys. The reality is that French is not the issue. Some vocal people and politicians want “Quebecers” to lead the charge – and I get that… but this is not the World Cup.

Even the English hired a Swedish and Italian coach to lead their national soccer team… as far as I’m aware they didn’t become less ‘English’… maybe that’s an unfair analagy in this argument.

We don’t want another faceless North American big business franchise? Newsflash: The NHL is the big leagues, and generates the big bucks.

It bugs me that there are those who get all Kurt Cobain and tortured over this…

All I want is to celebrate a Stanley Cup win. With this team. And to know each seasons objective is to SINGULARLY go after that objective.

No answers, just opinions. Bite me. Och.

3. ogilthorpe says:

And by the way…I speak 4…..

4. ogilthorpe says:

Fed up with this language issue… Separatist politicians have taken over from the Catholic church…. Which was historically the political power here in Quebec forever…. They kept the population under their control through rigorous rules and domination… Now it’s politicians who are trying these same techniques…feeding propaganda to the masses…. Educated people of all cultures can make up their own minds and need not be fed any dogma…. Case in point…… How many referendums have we had… And the result is always the same…even when certain ballots were disallowed in an attempt to sway the results…. And so on and so on…blah…. Blah…blah…

5. Habitant in Surrey says:

http://www.montrealgazette.com/life/Outsmarting+language/6296237/story.html ; ‘Huntingdon has plan to outsmart Quebec’s language law’

…every Hab Fan has Their own particular personal reason why They are a Hab Fan
    …for Myself, besides growing up as an Anglo Montrealer, in the imperfect linguistic political world that Montreal was, and today likely still is
    …I ‘left’ Montreal physically, for British Columbia, because of those over-bearing Taliban-like excesses of the radical voices of Francophone nationalism within Quebec
    …’it’, the Chinese Water Torture, of linguistic politics in Quebec had become too much to tolerate
    …following the last separation referendum, My since departed Wife and I immediately made plans to move Our respective businesses and lives, reluctantly, out of Quebec to Vancouver
    …any of You that have read My occasional opinions and recollections I offer in HIO on My beloved Hockey Team recognize My ‘heart’ still resides in Montreal, even though My body resides elsewhere
    …You also recognize Me as a constant defender of My beloved hockey Team’s ‘Francophone face’ in spite of My defection from the Province It resides
    …likely because of this I may to some sound rather inconsistent in My logic
    …but, beyond the privileged unforgettable magic memories of Myself having witnessed and participated in the emotions of 18 Montreal Canadien Stanley Cups …the first in 1953 …I have also considered the Montreal Canadiens as My personal ‘ideal’ of the exemplification of what ‘could be’ when Our 2 great founding cultures and languages co-exist and ‘work together’
    …the style and panache of Our great Francophone Players in combination with the steel spine and character of It’s great Anglo-Canadian Players from Quebec and across Canada made Our Team unique in It’s success, and in the NHL
    …the Montreal Canadiens represented to Me the ideal of how I saw Myself as a Canadian, not only as a hockey fan
    …I, like many Anglos, have a lot to be bitter about with the linguistic zealots of Quebec …but I never allowed that to be confused with My vision of what is correct and appropriate for My Habs
    …I want to be once-again privileged before I leave this Earth to witness another elite Francophone Quebecois-core for My Montreal Canadiens to complement exciting skilled Canadian, American and European team-mates
    …yet, in the ‘Real World’ of day to day Life in Quebec, I also want to see, before I leave this Earth, a normalization of relations and respect between Quebec’s two founding cultures and languages …I was very heartened to read this story of ‘push-back’ (finally) exhibited by a Stéphane Gendron, the mayor of Huntingdon, Quebec:
    …quote; “Huntingdon will never yield to such intimidation. Quite the contrary. For us, it’s an added incentive to fight for what is just and equitable.

The people of Huntingdon have a remarkable history. Our ancestors pushed back against U.S. invasions in 1812 and in the 1870s. The two major language groups have lived in harmony for nearly two centuries and made outstanding contributions during the great historical conflicts of the 20th century. With us, there is no difference between the French and English. We are all in the heart of the Haut St. Laurent, which remains a beautiful region, with hamlets dotted along the U.S. border.

Huntingdon is not Montreal, where uncertainty and linguistic insecurity seem to be part of everyday life. And it’s in considering our past and our common values that we are unable to accept the ruling of the ridiculous Bill 101 and the Office. When a community has 44 per cent of its population speaking English, how can we ignore it? Although most anglophones in Huntingdon speak and understand French, our values teach us that we do not promote a language and culture by crushing the other. This linguistic cleansing will not happen here in our territory. Ever !”

…I lived in Huntingdon for a couple years of My youth, and loved the experience …I am proud of the current Mayors position on the excessive ‘talibanation’ of Bill 101 (the Charter of the French language)

…I hope all Anglos and Francophones in Quebec that agree with Mayor Gendron will stand shoulder to shoulder with Him, and show Your support

_________________________________________________________
    HIS’ Official Habs’ Fan Theme Song; Morrissey ‘There is a light that never goes out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjObvIQtsLk&feature=related
    _________________________________________________________
    What I WANT ! is an aircraft carrier at centre and nuclear destroyers on each wing going to the net like bats out of Hell !, …NO MORE rubber duckies !!!
    _________________________________________________________
    Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

• Mattyleg says:

To be honest with you, Surrey, there is a ton of equality and understanding here in Quebec right now.

The 70s and 80s were tough times because the French-speakers needed to push back hard to preserve their language and, to a certain extent, their culture (although that last bit can be qualified).

Because of those hard times, and bad feelings (trust me, the Francophones had a lot of pent-up bitterness of their own to vent on the Anglophone system that kept them down and “Speaking White”) things have finally balanced out here.

Most of the younger generation don’t understand their parents’ bitterness or their grandparents’ griping. People here are more bilingual than they ever were, and language is something that brings people together, in general.

The news will always focus on the exceptions rather than the rules in situations like this, which is why “Anglos and Francos Getting Along Very Well” will never make front-page news. The tough decisions and growing pains that you talk about have made Montreal an even more awesome place to live.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

6. Strummer says:

The NCAA “Frozen Four” is being played in Tampa of all places.
    May need to re-name the tourney this year.

1.Are there any Hab picks still playing?

2. Is “Frozen Four” in reference to Danny Kristo’s toes?
    __________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

7. LafleurGuy says:

Did Anti-JM get banned? Did Habs 17? Hey, first on a new page! Where do I pick up my Tim Hortons card?

“May you live in interesting times.”

8. HabFanSince72 says:

All of you who say I don’t care about what language the GM speaks are actually being somewhat economical with the truth.

What you mean is you don’t care what second language the GM speaks.

You take it as a given that he will speak English.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• TomNickle says:

Oh my God can you imagine the uproar if they hired a GM who was only able to communicate in French?

• LafleurGuy says:

Reggie Houle!

“May you live in interesting times.”

• Hobie Hansen says:

I wouldn’t care if the guy was deaf and mute as long as he did a good job.

• TomNickle says:

No you wouldn’t care if the GM wasn’t able to do a press conference following the hiring and firing of coaches, address the media at the draft and free agency or able to communicate why players are traded, signed or bought out.

You probably wouldn’t want to hear from the GM if this team won the Cup. You wouldn’t want to know what they had to say if they had a reaction to a hit like the one Max Pacioretty took last year, wouldn’t want to get a statement about the health of a captain who’d been diagnosed with cancer.

And if you didn’t want communication on these things Hobie, I promise you that you would be a very big part of an overwhelming minority.

• Willy says:

Why so angry Tom? I think all Hobie is trying to say is he wants this team to win and the language the GM speaks is very secondary. You are taking it way too literally with your examples.

• TomNickle says:

I’m sorry if you think I’m angry Willy, you’re mistaken.

The Masters is on, the weather is gorgeous and I’m not working today. I couldn’t be in a better mood if I wanted to be all things considered.

But thanks for your concern.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Noticed your comment below Tom about living in Toronto and you’re ability to Speak french. I’ve lived in Montreal, Calgary, Toronto and now Ottawa and speak French as well. Just to give you better perspective on my opinions.

I love the city of Montreal, I watch plenty of games in French, I’ve had French girlfriends, love French cuisine, but don’t care what language the GM speaks and think it’s a huge mistake to limit the possible candidates to French speaking or bilingual.

If Ken Holland was available we’d turn him away cuz he doesn’t speak french, now that’s a joke!

• Willy says:

Glad we cleared that up then.
            How’s the course looking at Augusta? They had quite a bit of rain and they said the bombers would take over but i noticed some of the shorter hitters near the top of the leaderboard. I’m a Mickelson fan personally so i hope he goes out there and tears that stodgy ol’ course a new one.

• Hobie Hansen says:

I was being sarcastic…

9. BC HAB says:

If the Habs don’t lose one of these last 2 games , I’m gonna cry like a little school girl. We need at least one positive out of this miserable season. Go Canes go! Go leafs go!!!!

10. LafleurGuy says:

Someone light the fuse! Some explosive issues are lurking. Dave Murray is a Swedish hockey player. Rene Bourque is an anglophone. Sarkozy doesn’t sound French, so forget him presiding over a very, very important operation such as the running of the Montreal Canadiens. Pass the matches…..

“May you live in interesting times.”

11. frontenac1 says:

Man,that was sad seeing Ali like that.

• LafleurGuy says:

Agreed. It’s why we should not pry into M. Beliveau’s appearance, and why Nancy Reagan kept the former president out of the public’s view when he took ill.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• Bripro says:

What? He’s not President anymore? Are we not still in Kansas?

• LafleurGuy says:

Was a better time for leaders! Either they were better leaders back then or people in general had more respect!

“May you live in interesting times.”

• Mr. Biter says:

Bripro,
            In the states if you were President, Governor, Senator, congressman, judge you mostly get get called Mr. President etc for the others for life (good or bad) as a sign of respect I assume. They still call old Bill President also.

Mr. Biter
            No Guts No Glory

• Bripro says:

It might have been a better time for leaders, but not necessarily better leaders.

12. habstrinifan says:

Well gotta go earn my discretionary spending funds. So enough with my GM question obsession for now.

But Geoff ( can I call you Geoff Mr Molson) think of the words “hard working”, “consumed by the sport(team)”, “fiery

Little limerick..

Some put their minds to who we draft
    Seeking a pick with size and craft
    But pick a genius to run the ship
    And he will well this team equip.

13. habstrinifan says:

Does Sam Pollock have a son or daughter. And if so does that scion have hidden away somewhere Mr Pollock’s cheat sheets. You know all his little notes and tricks a little black-book sort of.

If so I am nominating that person to be habs GM. Would be awesome if was a daughter. Heck let’s go all the way. Would be awesome if was a multiracial ‘cablinasian’, lesbian, with a minor handicap.

Only caveat… she follows that book like a bible.

• HabFab says:

Sam thought outside the box and made the rules for others to follow. He was first and foremost a “baseball” guy who was incrediably smart. And the reason I want to see the smarts and an outsider more then anything, not just another “old hockey” guy.

14. Hobie Hansen says:

So the Montreal Impact, do all their coaches and managers have to speak French?

What about the Alouettes staff?

Why just the Canadiens?

• TomNickle says:

Because neither are as steeped in the heritage of the province and country as the Canadiens.

You’re a hockey fan first and a Habs fan second Hobie, that’s fine. I’m the same way. But you have to understand that this team means more to a lot of people than it does to you. It’s more than a hockey team to the majority of its fans.

• Mattyleg says:

Exactly.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Bripro says:

Religion…it’s a religion.
        Why would the church advertise in the sports stats section if otherwise?

• Hobie Hansen says:

I just think it’s a joke and feel the the separatist politicians and members of the french media have hijacked the situation to back their political opinion.

You go to the Centre Bell and the majority of people there are bilingual or speak English and could care less what language anyone speaks. They just want a good product on the ice.

• Mattyleg says:

No, that’s wrong, Hobie.
          It hasn’t been hijacked by anyone.
          The majority of fans are French-speakers, and want their team to represent them.
          That’s all.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Hobie Hansen says:

Yes the majority of fans are French but the majority of those people are Bilingual and probably want the best person for the job so the team can win.

Plus the team probably has more fans outside Quebec than inside that they should consider that don’t speak any French.

So add that all together and the people that want to see a winning team with staff of any language outweighs the people that want a team limited to French candidates with a lower chance of success.

• TomNickle says:

I’m from Toronto, have not once lived in the province of Quebec and am fluent in French.

There are a lot of people like me out there Hobie.

• Bripro says:

C’mon Hobie, you must know how it works in the province?
          It’s been like this since before you and I were born, and will continue long after we’re gone.
          Poor uncreative separatist politicians zero in on the Achilles’ heel of the population, and what they’re passionate about, during their times of political need.
          Marois’ party is in the toilet, so they attack the language issue (gasp! say it ain’t so!), because it would be far too creative and would require they’re doing some homework to talk about the benign issues of politics, such as health-care boondoggles, party corruption, prisons, arms, weapons, the great north….etc.
          So instead, they go after commonalities between the allies of commonality. In this city, it’s the Habs.
          Divide and conquer, she says! Hence, the press (in her pocket) jump all over it, to further their goals and ideals, at the expense of …who cares!
          I’m so sick of it. I think I’ll move to Tampa and root for the other french-Canadian team.

Once your settled down in Tampa let me know. I will probably be down about 2-3 weeks a year in the winter to golf. I trust that is going to be okay.

• Bripro says:

LOL.
            My parents had a home outside of Sarasota.
            When they passed, my sister and I sold it. What a mistake.
            Now, I pay to stay on sites or in hotels.
            My wife and I are looking for a good deal either in Fla or AZ.

• Hobie Hansen says:

I agree with that statement 100% Bripro and that’s what bothers the hell out of me. Leave the Habs out of it!

• HabFanSince72 says:

You’re 100% right Hobie. You should pick another team.

But it would be one that doesn’t require its coaching staff to speak any specific language.

Including English.

To be consistent.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• Habsrule1 says:

Because of a certain history that people have gotten used to….unfortunately.
      That being said, I absolutely love the idea of having local players & coaches on the Habs, but that’s whether they speak French or not.

Go Habs Go!!

• Kooch7800 says:

That is only a requirement for the hockey team. The history of the team has a lot to do with it but unfortunately sometimes these ideals could hinder the team in the current NHL.

This is not a small league anymore it is 30 teams. The habs can’t draft every great french player cause most are gone by the time it gets to them or there is a player better available at the time. they have to win games or people won’t pay top dollar to see them play.

The people still holding onto the past are not fans of the hockey team they are more fans of what the Habs used to represent. They need to get with the times

Unfortunately, the flying frenchmen are a thing of the past. They should be celebrated but it unfortunately isn’t going to be repeated in the new NHL as it is just unrealistic to put that on the Franchise.

I think the Habs have actually done a great job of having French players on their team. how many teams don’t have anyone from their home province or state and the habs have LL, Darche, St Denis, Desharnais and Dumount (not really a hab but in the system and could be). There is another 4 Quebec born players on the dogs. This isn’t celebrated though the habs are just bashed for not having enough.

People need to have realistic expectations of what the habs are and can be now….

“Like Canadian Hip hop..check us out http://www.groovecontrolmusic.com

• TomNickle says:

You miss the point entirely. It is less about having a mandate that missing out on the Stanley Cup is unacceptable and more about representation of the province of Quebec, the joining of both Francophone and Anglophone people together and the foundation of hockey development in Quebec itself.

It isn’t about rings.

• Kooch7800 says:

I understand what it represents Tom but I don’ t think it is realistic to put that on a team and also expect them to succeed. This will always be a problem for Montreal as an organization but I know if they don’t put a quality product on the ice the place doesn’t sell out. It wasn’t that long ago that the habs were not selling out games. It is still a business.

Montreal isn’t like Toronto where it is just corporations buying the tickets and could care less how their team performs.

It is also about performance Tom. Look at the media and how they have just went after the habs this year cause they suck…..the media were licking their chops waiting for drama.

I just think the habs should be applauded for doing a decent job of having French players on their roster when it isn’t that easy to have players from your home area when there are 30 teams

“Like Canadian Hip hop..check us out http://www.groovecontrolmusic.com

• TomNickle says:

The results of the on ice product aren’t irrelevant but they are irrelevant to the argument about what the organization is.

It’s more than a hockey team and because of that the results will never be as important as what it represents.

The fans who believe this organization is an institution more than it is a hockey team don’t disappear. The fans who are only interested in the teams’ results disappear.

• Kooch7800 says:

Sorry it won’t let me comment on your last point.

Look, I am a habs fan who loves the history of the habs and what they represent but I also love the game of hockey. I want the habs to win and represent quebec the best way they can.

I just think sometimes there are some unrealistic expectations of an organization.

That is all

“Like Canadian Hip hop..check us out http://www.groovecontrolmusic.com

• LafleurGuy says:

freedom

“May you live in interesting times.”

• Mattyleg says:

No, I don’t agree at all.

People who see the Canadiens as a cultural institution do not have to get with the times. They are with the times, in which the cultural institution is still relevant, despite the desire of many fans (Anglophones, almost uniquely, I might add) to simply run it like a faceless business, bereft of personality or identity, that does its business in its particularly sociopathic way.

I think that people who want the Canadiens to be run like this should look to another team to support that more closely falls in line with their desire for Big Business. Toronto is a very successful business…

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Kooch7800 says:

That is fine Matty that you don’t agree. Do you think the habs are doing a bad job of representing the culture? I don’t. I think they are doing pretty damn good. The league has changed and they were forced with it and they have still done the best at being able to try and stick with tradition out of any of the original six teams

“Like Canadian Hip hop..check us out http://www.groovecontrolmusic.com

• RGM says:

Bravo, sir, very well said.

The Canadiens are one of the strongest cultural institutions in all of Canada. I would suggest that, even with the hard times of this season and the muck they were drug through by previous management, they remain arguably more respected than such things as the House of Commons, the Prime Minister of Canada, the monarchy, the Church, and other long-prevailing symbols of the country. There is an identity within that, and whether some people attempt to repudiate that identity is their own business, but it doesn’t change the fact that this is more than a hockey club. Much the same as Jean Beliveau is more than a hockey player (there’s a good reason he was considered for the positiion of governor general), so too the Habs are more than just another of 30 NHL teams.

———————–
          GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
          “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

• Hobie Hansen says:

Oh yeah that’s exactly what I want is the team to be run like a big business with no heritage.

That’s a joke of a comment.

I want WINS! And for the team to build more of a legacy so we have great moments to celebrate and bring attention to the city of Montreal.

And that’s not going to happen by limiting the field of candidates to 2nd rate French speaking candidates and over looking the best people for the job.

• TomNickle says:

Yes there are people who exploit it, but others are accused of exploiting it when all they want is the values of the franchise and how they’ve related to the province, heritage and country to be well represented in the present and future.

It isn’t as bad as it seems Hobie. A lot of people who doesn’t have a dog in the fight make it out to be more than it is.

My advice is to just enjoy the excitement of a new era in the teams’ development. In reality, Jim Nill is no more qualified than Claude Loiselle, Steve Yzerman is no more qualified than Denis Savard, Brendan Shanahan is no more qualified than Vincent Damphousse and JP Barry is no more qualified than Pat Brisson.

• Kooch7800 says:

How am I saying that? I am saying that they do a good job of keeping culture with their team by having quebec born players on their roster. Would you rather have 30 quebec born players on a team that doesn’ t win?

The habs are trying to keep the culture and also stay competitive in a 30 team league. It isnt’ that easy

“Like Canadian Hip hop..check us out http://www.groovecontrolmusic.com

• LafleurGuy says:

Hobie H., tip o’ the hat for your crafty play on the HIO crowd. When fans of the Alouettes and Impact start posting from around the world, then we could clamor for the owners to explain their cultural values and language policies. BTW, can anyone name the owners, and five key players for those other Montreal teams. Never lived in Montreal, but love the city, love the Expos, and as for Guy Lafleur and the Habs, they are mi corazon!

May you live in interesting times.”

15. habstrinifan says:

I am having a minor disagreement with some posters re picking up the phone and plumbing for info on someone’s resume. All in fun I am told.
    I remember a story long time aho about one organization calling another organization and saying “this man of yours is very much a guy we like.. tell me about him eh”. I paraphase cause I cant find that info. But never mind that.

If on the day after our GM is named, someone can write an article generally portraying his credentials/suitability as the article I am linking to below… would you be happy?

I think I would be!

16. LA Loyalist says:

Well, with the disclaimer that we can’t know what’s actually going on, is anyone else disturbed that the GM candidates to date all have French last names?

If we are going to make political selections for Coach and GM, then Muller was wise to move on, and beyond that, we are doomed to mediocrity unless we are lucky. Could we get a great Francophone GM and Coach? Of course we could.

I will get hate mail for this, but limiting ourselves to appease some ink-stained wretches who still haven’t paid off their bar tabs from the Quiet Revolution is just sad and pathetic.

That said, if we had Roy as GM and Carbonneau as coach I would pee myself with happiness.

That’s probably too much information.

• Hobie Hansen says:

The entire situation is a joke LA. It all boils down to politics and has NOTHING to do with hockey.

• TomNickle says:

Accepting that the Montreal Canadiens are more than a hockey team to the majority of its fans is the key to understanding the issue you speak of.

People are fans for different reasons, for the most part nobody is a better fan than anybody else. This team, because of its roots and what it has stood for over so many years must have leadership capable of COMMUNICATING(not condescending) in French. They don’t have to be French, they must be able to communicate in French.

If you didn’t become a fan of this team because of its history and what it stands for, that’s okay. But it is an issue that will never go away and a mandate that will probably not bend.

• Mattyleg says:

Tom’s got it right.
        It’s not a joke, it’s not politics, it’s tradition and culture.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• habstrinifan says:

I think the list contains potential despite the unmistakeable lean that you mentioned. I also think the list contains huge pitfalls because of the unmistakeable lean that you mentioned.

Which is why I would hope that people…. aww forget it… I am just keeping my fingers crossed.

I am so fffffing fed-up of our team being burdened with poor management.

As I read the article i linked to above I coulld not help but realize how one thing stood out. The last two GM’s we had BG and PG and then going back to Houle etc could not be described as hard-working GM’S….

Gainey of course had some terrible personal matters on his mind but the others…

• Mattyleg says:

There are plenty more people than “ink-stained wrteches who still haven’t paid off their bar tabs from the Quiet Revolution” that would like to see a Francophone GM.

Don’t be narrow-minded and stereotyping.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

Cool that means McGuire is not in the running! WooHoo!!!

Edit: Corrected Spelling. Thanks.

• Bripro says:

Ahhhh crap! Ooops.
        I mean….yeah.

Afternoon Bri! How ya doing today. I saw what you attracted down below, Milbury for GM!!!

• Bripro says:

Yeah, you know me buddy! Always looking for the best candidate.
            In my own little world, where no one else exists to agree, just attack!

• Habsrule1 says:

Not MacGuire, but McGuire might be. He does speak French pretty well, although his name is not French.

Go Habs Go!!

• HabFab says:

Not on the list of 5 confirmed for interviews so far…
        And I’m a wishing and a praying, a hoping and a saying!!

• Habsrule1 says:

Pathetic if he doesn’t at least get an interview….and I doubt he will.
          It’s called thinking outside the box and not just making a list of Francophone people involved with the NHL.

Go Habs Go!!

• HabFab says:

He should get an interview. I believe the man to be very smart as in book and his ability to memorize. But not in business and people savvy, just my opinion for sure but comfortable with my judgement.

• HabFanSince72 says:

McGuire isn’t a French name.

Otherwise, given that the GM requirement is bilingualism, just like the GM requirement for every other team is speaking English, they’re going to mostly be French origin.

What kills me about you people is you wouldn’t accept a non-English speaking GM or coach.

Let me know when the LA Dodgers hire a unilingual Spanish GM.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

17. durocher says:

As Cole and Pacioretty should be the model for the type of forward we want and need, I’d recommend that we trade for van Riemsdyk, a young power forward (and Pacioretty’s buddy). He’s been injured for a good chunk of this year and the Flyers have played well without him, suggesting that he may be expendable. He’d be good for our second line. So the questions are:

1) Do we trade for van Riemsdyk, and
    2) If so, what do we have to give up?

For me, the answer to question one is a clear “yes.” For question two, I’m hoping that our two second round picks may be enough. They can have Diaz if they want, too.

• LNev says:

Ummm… While JVR may be a nice addition. 2 picks and a Diaz is not going to get you one of his game worn jerseys.

• TomNickle says:

You have to be careful falling in love with a style of play. Cole and Pacioretty use their speed to the outside and like to shoot quickly off stride. Next season, teams are going to give them much bigger gaps on the rush to keep in front of them instead of trying to squeeze them off to the boards and corners.

They’ll will have to adapt how they play on a lot of nights because of this and will find themselves getting a lot more space in the middle of the ice, it just means they’ll have to score a different way a lot of the time.

Palushaj and Pacioretty are buddies too by the way.

• LA Loyalist says:

Your analysis that Cole and Patches should be our template is 100% on.

It won’t be easy or cheap, though.

• TomNickle says:

I believe, and forgive me if I’m wrong that he was referring to the specific type of player instead of the character of the player. If you guys are referring to their characters I agree whole heartedly. If you want 12 Pacioretty’s at forward, good luck.

• Habsrule1 says:

How about P-A Parenteau? He’s 29 and got 67 points in 79 games this year.
      That’s who I want….future GM, go get him!

Go Habs Go!!

• TomNickle says:

Allan Walsh client, pass!

• Habsrule1 says:

lol never thought of that, but I don’t think we should limit ourselves because of that.

Go Habs Go!!

• TomNickle says:

Halak is no longer a Hab because of Walsh, Havlat is no longer with the Wild because of Walsh, Derick Brassard was very close to not being a BlueJacket because of Walsh.

It isn’t just a Halak thing, it’s a Walsh thing. I would avoid his clients at all costs.

18. jedimyrmidon says:

Wishlist for tonight:
    - Habs put in a good, solid effort, but ultimately concede 2 pts to the Canes while gaining none (if there was one game that they would “need” to lose, it would be this one)
    - Toronto wins (then I believe if the Habs won Saturday, they would not finish ahead of the Leafs)
    - Edmonton wins
    - Islanders win

So many draft implications. Mind you, I have not been cheering for the Habs to throw away games for the past two months ever since playoff hopes became slim to none. It’s just that now, in the penultimate game of the season, they might do the future a solid favour by not getting 2 pts. If they win, I won’t be angry (unlike some posters), but probably lapse into “what if” scenarios.

19. Kooch7800 says:

Glad we won last night but am concerned that this team could pass the Islanders…we are only 2 points back

We can’t win the next two or we could possibly move up two places……that would suck

“Like Canadian Hip hop..check us out http://www.groovecontrolmusic.com

20. Dr.Rex says:

Considering how many things have gone wrong this season I think we are due for a at least three things to go our way. TO be honest we are only three lucky breaks away from being a legitimate team. HEre they are.
    1) WIn draft lottery – draft yakupov. Crazier things have happened
    2) Sign Ryan Suter
    3) Sign Chris Kelly

Patches DD Cole
    Yakupov Pleks Gio
    Bourque/LL Eller Kelly
    Moen WHite Staubitz

Subban Gorges
    Suter Markov
    Emelin Diaz
    Price

• Dr.Rex says:

OF course we would have to find a exit strategy for both Kaberle and Gomer.

• Mr. Biter says:

Dr. Rex, please apply for the G.M. job. Was going to post a line-up similar to yours but you took the words out of mouth. Great line-up. Just figure out an exit for Gomez and Kabs and I’ll call Geoff (he’s on my speed dial) and tell him your the man. Seriously great line up.

Mr. Biter
        No Guts No Glory

• martincurran55 says:

Thats a sweet lineup. I must be honest though, I am not sold on Diaz, but after another year we will have Tinordi and Beaulieu ready for the Big team, so he could be tangled for trade bait at next years deadline. I really do think we should go after Suter or Parise. I think we should go after them hard. Long term contract and even over pay for them. Over the next 2 years we will have a lot of draft picks to restock the farm, so we will have a lot of entry level contracts that we can slide into our lineup. So as long as we get rid of Gomez (And Hopefully Kaberle), we should have a bit of cap room to pay one of these guys primetime money. I’m thinking it will be 7 for Parise and probably 6 or more for Suter. Your probably looking at a 6-8 year term to attract them. Is this something we should do? I think we should.

21. LafleurGuy says:

I’ve got Bruins(boo!), Rangers, Devils and Penguins winning in the first round in the East; Canucks, Blackhawks, Blues and Red Wings in the West. Then Canucks/Red Wings; Penguins/Bruins. Finally, Penguins over Red Wings in the finals.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• TomNickle says:

Rangers, Bruins, PANTHERS and Flyers(they own the Penguins).

Canucks, Blues, Predators, Blackhawks.

Rangers beat Panthers, Flyers beat Bruins.

Flyers beat Rangers.

Blackhawks beat Canucks, Predators beat Blues.

Predators beat Blackhawks.

Predators beat Flyers for the Stanley Cup.

• HabFab says:

And you call yourself a Hab Fan ;)
        Want those Predators gone and gone fast!!!!!!!!
        Remember we have their second round pick.

• TomNickle says:

Haha. I would have no problem with Hal Gill, Pekka Rinne, Shea Weber and Barry Trotz getting a Cup.

I’m just being realistic based on how I feel it will all go down, but the West is a jigsaw puzzle still so I made those predictions based on the Sharks getting the #3 seed and Los Angeles getting the #8 with Chicago moving up to #5 and Nashville finishing at #6.

Jesus(head in hands).

• krob1000 says:

Philly will not get by Pittsburgh…..the only teams that can beat Pittsburgh are the BRuins and Rangers if their goalies get hot but Pittts has too many weapons for Philly’s back end with their erratic goaltending and no Pronger. Lundqvist and Thomas..in combination with very good teams? maybe…Philly? I just can’t see it.

• TomNickle says:

Can you see the way the Flyers have manhandled the Penguins at full strength this season?

The Flyers are deep enough at forward to give the Penguins the same problems that the Penguins can create, the difference? The Flyers are a four line team and the Penguins aren’t.

Bryzgalov is a wild card. If he plays even close to the level he was at prior to getting injured, the Penguins will be lucky for that series to go six games.

In addition to all of that, I believe the Flyers have won every game they’ve played at the Consol Energy Center.

Doesn’t look good for the Pens.

22. alwayssunny says:

Speaking of the Habs – Joe Flacco just made the statement that he is the best QB in the NFL. Now I’m no expert on the NFL, as I am, and you will all agree, on the NHL, but it’s pretty hard to argue against his claim.

23. Mattyleg says:

Hey there everyone!
    Had a blast at the game last night, and have the hangover today to prove it.

Bumped into NoTinfoilCups in Hurley’s too, and had a great chat with him. Good dude.

Games attended this season: 2
    Goals scored by Canadiens: 9
    Goals scored by opposition: 2

Great success.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

24. Habshire says:

Hello?
    Is there anybody in there?
    Just nod if you can hear me
    Is there anyone at home?

I have become comfortably numb

25. GenerationYHabs says:

It’s already nearly 1 pm (Peak hour) and there’s only 107 comments.

I’m killing the refresh button over here and it’s giving me nothing!..

It’s going to be one heck of a long boring summer at work this year.

• Malreg says:

HIO must be taking a beating in the page views department this season. I noticed they haven’t been posting the monthly comparisons this year like they usually do…

26. Bripro says:

Wow, I must admit, delirium seems to be front and centre here today.
    I pushed the other day for McGuire, and now I’m all alone!
    My bullet-proof vest is in tatters, and my body guards deserted me in mutinous fashion. A fellow blogger (Frank) even compared his loyalty in supporting me to Brutus protecting Caesar. Ouch!
    So I come on this morning (early afternoon) and what do I read?
    Posts pushing for JM to return as GM, or even…. a more logical candidate….Mike Milbury! ARE YOU SERIOUS???
    And two lousy replies. No assaults, jut two bitty comments, on such a brain-cramped recommendation.
    And if that’s not bad enough, we’re back to pushing for Roy.
    If any of you read or heard what was said last night, by Elaine Schruggs, the mayor of Glendale, you can deduce that Roy won’t be coaching the Habs, ’cause the NHL will be moving the Coyotes to Quebec city as early as next year. And that is where Saint Patrick will end up. And IMO, thank God for that!

• HabFanSince72 says:

Actually Bert Raymond who knows Roy fairly well, from having kissed his butt his entire career, thinks that given a choice between he Habs and the Nords he would easily pick the Habs.

Dude’s number hangs up there amongst the most hallowed names in the game.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• alwayssunny says:

I think Mike Milbury and McGuiire both have their merits, as does JM of course. I’d be ok with any of them .

• alwayssunny says:

I’d have to give the nod to Milbury over Pierre though, just based on his experience. Still you made a nice suggestion.

• Mr. Biter says:

I think the Martians are bombing us with the “Plutonic Detonater” today making almost everone come up with stupid ideas, except for us , the ones wearing the aluminum foil caps.

Mr. Biter
          No Guts No Glory

• Bripro says:

Pass it over, before they fry everyone’s brain! Thinking Milbury would actually be good for the CH….oye!
            The first item on his agenda as new GM would be to change their jerseys from Red White and Blue to Black and Gold.

• HabFab says:

See what happens when you start talking “crazy”, you attract them!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Bripro says:

But I tried to run away from them, Frank! I really did!

27. habfan53 says:

Just some Random thoughts on OUR TEAM.
    - Experience of Serge Savard before becoming G.M. …. ZERO
    - If Eric Cole had only scored 10 goals this year he would have been worth it for the leadership and mentoring of Max Pacioretty.
    - Yes Bob Gainey brought in Scott Gomez but he also traded for Josh Gorges.
    - With our core of Price, Subban, Emelin, Eller, Desharnais, Pacioretty and Leblanc we are a very young team that WILL get better.
    - Thru my rose colored glasses I see this team winning the east next year with VERY little tinkering if Markov and Gionta are healthy. It would be like adding a top 3 defenceman and a top 6 forward. Like Max said last night we are a lot better than this.
    - Even though it may not show it in the standings I would rather be us than Tampa, Toronto or even Washington (the new Rangers).

Like the DODGERS “Wait till next year”

28. alwayssunny says:

If Jacques Martin doesn’t get the GM job and instead takes the coaching position (which Pat Hickey and I agree would be the ideal situation for the CH), there is a guy out there who I hope at least gets a phone call. He’s a tough hombre. He has GM experience. He knows the players and other GMs. He’s itching to get back in the league. He doesn’t speak french but he has a keen intellect and I’ve no doubt could learn it over the summer. It would be strange to see him working for the Habs but I’d love to see Mike Milbury as their next GM.

29. The Dude says:

next years protected Habs lineup Markov,Patches,DD,Cole Eller,Price & PK …Everyone else =trade bait!

30. Thomas Le Fan says:

Oh for crying out loud! Benny Poulet is a former #4 pick who has scored a WHOLE 15 GOALS with one of the top teams in the league! Wowsers! What if, indeed. If he had have stayed, he’d have how many? Five? It may have been a good idea in the year of The Tank© but that’s about it.
    By the way, the Oilers will draft very highly again this year and where’s that got them so far? What will occur first? Will the Oilers win or will these high draft choices become RFAs and UFAs and start demanding too much money for this small market team to afford? I predict the latter.

• habsnyc says:

Pouliot scored 14 even strength goals while playing on the third and fourth lines and averaging 14 minutes per game. The value of the contribution adjusted for the ice time and the quality of linemates relative to the quality of opposition, is meaningful.

Pouliot at $1.1 million is one of the best deals in the NHL for a third line player. He ranks in the top third of forwards in even strength goals, but plays on the third line. That is huge outperformance for a bargain.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Pouliot is a bargain for a 3rd line player, sure, but that’s all he is.

Should Habs fans be upset at all about him not playing here anymore, not in the slightest.

They tried to jumpstart him, gave him lots of ice time and he didn’t respond. See ya later.

• habsnyc says:

I erred in the post above. He actually has 15 goals in 12minutes per game. When he was with Montreal, he played 11.5 minutes per game. Boston gives him slightly more ice time.

He scored 13 goals for Montreal and 15 goals for Boston. A difference is that in Boston, he plays consistently with Chris Kelly and in Montreal the line combinations changed regularly. Other differences are that he is a year older, his role is better defined and he is not in the coach’s doghouse.

It is the standard story of everyone who leave this team. They mature into a role that suits their skills.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Bah, you go and look at the history of any team and you’ll find a group of whiners crying over spilled milk over players that moved to others teams, Montreal is no different.

• LafleurGuy says:

Could be useful in the shootout.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• Thomas Le Fan says:

So, I’m not arguing that he didn’t help the B’s but what does your crystal ball say on how many goals he’d have had we kept him? There’s apparently no shortage of ex-Habs who excel elsewhere for whatever reason. That doesn’t exactly mean that they would or could deliver in Montreal. It should be obvious by now that some players just can’t play here and others don’t want to.

• LafleurGuy says:

When was the last time we saw a Canadien win a fight until Pouliot stunned Krejci. I’m against fighting in the game and enjoyed last night’s game despite no fights. However….not a single team among the 30 has zero as their entry as far as number of fights the team has had in any season.

“May you live in interesting times.”

31. Exit716 says:

Just read Red Fisher’s column. Amazing. He craps on the team for the 9000th time this season. We get it Red, the team wasn’t very good. Why not hammer home the point over and over and over again. Oh and by the way, one of your sacred legends from the 1970s was the primary architect of this disaster with the Gomez trade. You can mention that at some point when you’re not entertaining us with what Springsteen called ‘boring stories of glory days.”

32. ed lopaz says:

so how about using Eric Cole as an example of what the

“identity” of the Habs should look like?

we build a team of Eric Cole “clones”.

we draft and trade for guys that are BIG AND FAST.

we draft and trade for guys that give 100% EVERY GAME.

we draft and trade for guys that FINISH THEIR HITS CLEANLY, with the object of hitting being to separate the opponent from the puck and come away with possession.

we build an “identity around the values that Eric Cole has shown us can work.

Max Paccioretty is already fitting nicely.

I believe Eller fits in as well.

not everyone will be big, but we need to be strong on the puck, strong on the boards, and not ready to back down from physical play.

Habs Hockey = committed, fast, talented, hard hitting hockey

• shiram says:

Montreal Cole-adians.

Nothing wrong molding players along the lines of Cole.

• naweed235 says:

I’d love for the Habs to try to trade for R.J Umberger. He is Cole but more physical and more skilled. Very underrated.
      While I am at it here is my wishlist:
      Parise (probably wont happen)
      Umberger
      Evgeni Artyukhin (KHL)
      Gaustad if not, Dominic Moore
      Bryan Allen

• habsnyc says:

Oh, you want us to become the Bruins or Flyers. Seriously, that would be great except there are not enoug of those players to go around and they do not come cheap. US hockey is developing those types of players, including Cole, Pax, David Backes, Ryan Callahan, Boddy Ryan, Rylan Malone, Ryan Kesler and Dustin Brown. What Burke failed to do in Toronto, he built masterfully for the 2010 Olympic team.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Ed – don’t you think that is what Gainey was kind of looking for when he signed all these Cup winners? Not necessarily. size and speed but determination

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

33. Ali says:

I know a lot of people are against Roy as head coach because of his supposed ego. But I think a lot of that came down to the fact that as a player he always wanted to be respected, and I feel he would give that to his players more than anything. I agree he would be hard for any GM to work with though, so it’s unlikely.

One anecdote: “There were another two Stanley Cups earned in Colorado, where his legend as a leader and teammate grew. There was the time that coach Bob Hartley was lambasting a young Chris Drury, using him as a scapegoat. Roy didn’t like it, and legend has it that he rose during Hartley’s explosion and told the coach that if he was unhappy with how the Avalanche were playing, he shouldn’t be yelling at a younger player. Roy told Hartley that he should have the courage to yell at him first. Only Roy didn’t say it that politely. It was a moment that teammates didn’t forget.”

• Max_a_million says:

Great article!

Along the lines of the fill your team with Coles and Pacioretty’s, fill your team with people who work harder than everyone else and care more. Fill your team with Patrick Roys and Pierre McGuires.

Pat Brisson is certainly intriguing if he has the swag with players he seems to have.

If loving hockey and having an encyclopedic memory of players is all that a resume needs to be a candidate then I am guessing there are few posters here on HI/O that are also in the running for GM.

Aside from that constant phrase used referring to Pierre MacGuire I haven’t seen other good reasons to consider Pierre.

34. The Dude says:

Well here’s hoping that the new G.M. , coaches ,trainers and scouts stop with the” what if?” the Canadiens were a first year expansion team B.S. cus I’ve had enough !

35. Marc10 says:

Putting Mayer in goal gets the Tank ™ seal of approval.

I don’t think the other teams fighting us to #2 in the draft would be very impressed…

36. Hobie Hansen says:

So what is the current status of CBC and the NHL partnership? When does the contract expire? I know CBC was upset that TSN obtained the rights to broadcast some Canadian games in the playoffs.

Just wondering when TSN will hopefully take over Saturday nights if ever?

• Ali says:

I believe the CBC’s deal with the NHL expires after next season, after which I’d be shocked to see them retain the rights. Especially given the cuts they just received in the budget. For once Harper did me a favor, no more Cherry and his moronic sidekick. And Friedman can go work for a real network.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Budget cuts won’t stop them from trying to get NHL hockey.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• Habshire says:

Be careful what you wish for. CBC doesn’t black out games to the rest of the country.

And I haven’t seen them flash commercials across the screen while the game is in progress like they do on Sportsnet which is just as likely to win the contract.

• Ali says:

I dont think there’s any chance that TSN (Bell Media) will be outbid for it. Sportsnet’s quality just doesn’t compare.

• Habshire says:

I have to do research but aren’t CTV, TSN, Sportsnet all owned by the same people. I could see CTV taking over Saturday night. They used to broadcast games many years ago.

Sportsnet is owned by Rogers where CTV/TSN are part of BCE, Bell.

Direct competitors, except of course when buying a hockey team in Toronto.

• habs-hampton says:

If they don’t black out games, then please explain why I haven’t seen a Habs game on CBC Saturday night (unless they’re playing the Leafs), in 5 years!
        P.S. I live in New Brunswick and have Rogers.

• Dust says:

Its cause you are with rogers and they only show your regional cbc. Bell shows all cbc channels. So lucky me gets to watch cbc montreal in barrie ontario on a saturday night so i don’t have to watch the leafs

37. Un Canadien errant says:

Excellent article by Stu Hackel on the idiocy of Mike Milbury. Some of us can’t stand him for his pro-Bruins, anti-everyone else bias, and his special contempt for the Canadiens and Canucks, but the bigger issue is his retrograde, incendiary views.

A lot of people will state that his ‘free speech’ should be respected, but the classic retort to this is that free speech doesn’t allow someone to falsely yell “Fire!” in a theatre and cause a stampede. In this particular case, Mr. Milbury’s position as a commentor doesn’t permit him to ridicule people by snide references to their putative gender or sexual orientation, and to make light of someone’s inability to play due to brain injuries. At least, he should be shunned by the league and have to resort to airing his views on an obscure blog, instead of being given a national broadcast platform to sputter his inanities.

I enjoin the CBC again to rid itself of this negative force on their telecasts and replace him with a thoughtful, accomplished former player who can provide enlightenment instead of bleating along with P.J. Stock and Don Cherry that hockey games are won by crosschecking your opponents into submission.

———————————
    How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

• HabFanSince72 says:

The inherent problem of sports commenting is that everyone has seen the games. We know which team won and how. There’s really little to say after that. Trade rumours maybe?

So sports commentators have to get noticed somehow. Being loud and obnoxious is one way.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Loud and obnoxious is fine, that what Sabres announcer Rick Jeanneret does very well. I don’t watch basketball at all, but Charles Barkley does that as well and is entertaining. Mike Milbury sabotages the league that employs him, and poisons the well of hockey. He must be excised from the game.

In passing, shouldn’t Mike Milbury’s son have removed his own skirt and stood up for himself instead of waiting for his daddy to come down onto the ice and fight his battles for him? Maybe whack the other kid with his purse instead of having Mad Mike ‘shake him’?

What’s that you say? These two issues are completely unrelated and have no bearing on each other?

———————————
        How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

• boing007 says:

The way you described Milbury reminds me in many ways of Don Cherry. My, my, my.

Richard R

38. Habitoban says:

The “what if” piece is a bit rich coming from a guy who was continually on Benny’s case last season. As I recall, at the end of last year HIO pundits announced that Pouliot had played his last game for the Habs, and later, saw the Habs not investing $1M on a qualifying offer for this year as the right move.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I think there are very few of us on here who are allowed to pine for Benoit Pouliot. We all cheered when he walked last July.

I’m willing to admit it’s possible that Mr. Pouliot will continue to mature and with the right environment and players surrounding him, he can have a decent career, but I predicted earlier this season during his abysmal start that he would play himself out of the league this season. And with an unexplained absence off the Bruins roster this winter, he’s not out of the woods yet.

It is disheartening that he and the Matt D’Agostinis and Maxime Lapierre of our organization, who are useful spare parts, are let go with getting even less or nothing in return. Some of these spare parts might have helped fill out a roster this season. Instead of Brad Festerling, let’s trade these guys away for draft picks and give Trevor Timmins some extra shots at the dart board. In any case, that’s now ancient history with the Ancien Régime having been swept out of the palace.

———————————
      How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

39. GenerationYHabs says:

Wow, the Price vs Halak arguments on this site are one thing, but has anyone else read the comments on Arpon Basu article and others on nhl.com?

There is actually a faction arguing that to an extent Budaj should be the starter and Price his backup…

40. punkster says:

“…the paranoia and obsessive secrecy of Moscow, circa 1936, is wedded to the prudery and intolerance of the Massachusetts colony, circa 1692.”

Fun read there Mike.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• HabFanSince72 says:

“… and the organizational and tactical nous of the Allied Forces at Dunkerque in the Spring of 1940.”

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

41. Un Canadien errant says:

Where’s do you draw the line between celebrating Muhammad Ali and exploiting him?

I’m not sure where the boundary exists exactly, but am certain that Jeffrey Loria riding in a golf cart with him and having his arm paternally around his shoulders is way, way beyond it.

———————————
    How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

Normand, there is apparantly a very good article in the most edition of the New Yorker talking about the Marlins and their owner Loria. Unfortunately, I could only read a piece of it as it requires a subscription. GIven how most of us have similar feelings towards Loria, it may be worthwhile to keep your eyes peeled for this article. Eventually they usually make their way for free on the net somewhere.

Did you hear about the aquariums and such that are in the new Baseball stadium in Miami? This guy really is a piece of work, getting the public to pay for his own private museum.

The website Deadspin has a few excerpts from it.

Interesting we win last night and today’s thread looks depressing already. Oh what a crap season.

I do understand the logic of wanting the draft choice, perhaps Captain Kirk can have his squad extra motivated tonight.

Also for those looking for us to get the high pick, take solace, you would think the Leafs have found their answer the way they are talking about Scrivens now, surely his name will be etched on the Vezina next season.

The best line so far for 2012.

“In equating the success of the great late-1950s teams to the social mores of that decade, the Canadiens assess character on a binary basis: If you are not Jean Béliveau, you’re Keith Richards.”

44. 69HABS says:

“WHAT IF”

The Habs were in a playoff spot right now with NO Carey Price.

That is why the Habs need a solid backup!

45. Marc10 says:

That piece from Boone was depressing.

Thanks for that Mike. Like this miserable season wasn’t bad enough… F’king Pouliot… Bourque would look great too if he played 12 minutes with a stacked lineup… C’mon!

• 24 Cups says:

I think Mike’s piece was a combination of what ifs mixed with a side order of sarcasm and humour.

The real point he was making is why are the Habs able to locate talent but not always develop it.

That might be a very good interview question for the new management duo.

46. JUST ME says:

410 games missed Mtl player`s this year.
    Average 5 players per game.
    36 different players on injury list.
    Only Cole and Gorges played all the games.

As much is i agree that injuries are part of the game ,i think that it does change everything past a certain limit. From the get go the Habs were doomed. Playing with american leaguers makes for minor league results. Tough to figure out what is the real team and what are the weaknesses and strenghts. How can you pretend to have a winner if you never played with a full deck ?

You are never as bad as you look and never as good either. I thought at the begining of the season that it could not be worst than last year.Boy was i wrong !
    So hopefully next season will be better .
    We sure do know that most of the AHL are not quite ready for prime time so we really are back to square one. We have a solid nucleus on wich to build around .
    In a way all the changes upcoming make it exciting but what an awful season. For moi will always be remembered as the year of all injuries…mostly to my ego….

It figures that the Habs would win the one game they just had to lose.

The season from hell continues.

• JF says:

Steve – Why do you figure we had to lose last night? I’m not really worried about our draft position. The odds of our winning both our remaining games and the teams we’re competing with in the draft lottery losing both theirs are quite small. For starters, we’ll almost certainly lose to Carolina tonight, which should mean we can go into the last game of the season hoping whole-heartedly for a win.

Besides, after Nail Yakupov, there are questions around the other top forwards in the draft. Short of winning the lottery or engineering a deal with Columbus, we won’t land Yakupov, and none of the others will be NHL ready next fall. I’m just hoping the player we draft is not a bust.

• HabFanSince72 says:

If we win our last two games we could pick as low as 7th. Unlikely but not impossible.

If we lose our remaining games we will likely pick 3rd.

Just because you and I don’t know the best picks after the Yak doesn’t mean clever Trevor doesn’t.

To go through this horrible season and end up picking 7th and getting a Mike Komisarek would be hell indeed.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• Mr. Biter says:

Unless RC benches the 21/2 man line and PK ,Georges, Staubitz Plecks, AM (for safety see Staubitz) White. These and some other will not quit and Players with pride don’t give a Rats ass about who’s getting the 3rd or4th pick next year and are not going to lay down. Just put the bad ones out there and tell Budda to keep up the tape to tape passes and we may lose.
          p/s
          Coaches hate draft choices as they’re not around when they hit the NHL.

Mr. Biter
          No Guts No Glory

• boing007 says:

You keep forgetting the other teams that are ahead of us. If they win their final games then it won’t matter if the Habs win theirs. Everybody wins!

Richard R

• Mr. Biter says:

Good point. But maybe they also want to tank. Maybe call the Habs vs. Leafs “THe Tank Bowl” to see who starts the weakest team. Maybe sign and dress old “Red Light” for 1 last game. Insure loss.

Mr. Biter
            No Guts No Glory

• 24 Cups says:

Hi Jane – I can’t begin to tell you how disappointed I am with how this season has unfolded. Outside of the Markov debacle, there are no excuses. This has been a historic collapse. The only saving grace was going to be a chance to draft a quality forward.

I realize we can still finish high enough (low enough?) to grab Yakupov or Grigorenko but last night’s win really put us back in a precarious position. A win tonight would set up a game with Toronto that could move us from 3rd to 7th. A loss last night would have made us a lock for at least 3rd spot. Hence the season from hell line.

Yakupov is ready to play in the NHL next season. So is Grigorenko, to a lesser degree. That’s about it. The other three, Forsberg, Galchenyuk and Faska all need more seasoning so I really don’t care about the point of being NHL ready this fall. There’s also a real chance of a lockout, so 2013-14 is probably the season when the Habs will truly start rebuilding with lots of new talent. I hope the team lays low this summer and keeps it’s powder dry.

A final point about the draft. Everyone, including me, has taken it for granted that Edmonton will choose a Dman meaning that Grigorenko would drop to 3rd. I’m not so sure about that anymore. Should the Oilers pass up on such a great centre? Could you imagine a Hopkins-Grigorenko one-two punch down the middle? It would be similar to Crosby-Malkin. I think the Oilers should take Grigorenko and then trade off players such as Gagner or Paajarvi for a quality young defenseman. They also have the 31st pick which could be used on a lower 1st round Dman selection (like David Musil last season).

48. LafleurGuy says:

” Requiem For A Lost Season ”

In a season when P.K. spat
    The Habs fortunes fell horribly flat
    Breath baited for Andrei’s return
    Left us feeling like suitors spurned

Hopes held high for Gomez points
    Caused many nez to go out of joint
    Gionta, Gomez, and also Moen
    Appalled us by their injury prone

All of us go over that hill
    Pearn, Martin, and then Gauthier
    Now only watch when Canadiens play

Let’s “Fail for Nail” are words quite daft
    Mid-season talk about off-season’s draft!

Can the future be bright?
    Will the torch lose its light?

Thoughts turn to David, Max, and Cole
    This high-Priced team will leave its hole!

LafleurFan

“May you live in interesting times.”

49. New says:

I love that Gazette quote from the room (“On some nights, we’ve been good, but there have been other games when we haven’t looked as interested as we should, in my opinion,” Cole said.)

I like that guy. First he comes into a pressure cooker doesn’t complain, doesn’t question. Then after the season when his record stands for itself he looks around the room and tells his team mates to put up or shut up.

Eric Cole is a professional.

50. BJ says:

I’ve read a lot of complaints re. the GM and coach. What are the popular choices here?

51. wool40 says:

Read Boone’s article..”what if…” So many truths! In a nutshell, its better to tame a tiger than paint stripes on a pussy cat! The habs need above all, hard nosed players. Until they stop settling for guys that display skill but consist of little substance, they will continue to spin their wheels.
    I submit three names and all of you may not like them: Steve Downie, Steve Ott, Jordan Tootoo.
    Can we please take off our rose colored glasses with which we glare into past triumphs and face the fact that if we want wins, we must TAKE wins. They will not come with the likes of Rene Bourque, Chris Campoli and Princess Kaberle.
    Thank you and good day.
    “Hockey is a religion here. We’re all priests. It’s sacred. You don’t trade priests.”- Guy Lafleur 1985

52. Hobie Hansen says:

So it appears the Canadiens will have another interesting situation on their hands at the center position next year. Heading into this year the big debate was if Eller or Desharnias would play the wing instead of center. With the Gomez being injured off and on and playing horribly the situation worked itself out.

But if the Canadiens draft a center that is NHL ready you’d have to imagine he’d end up centering the 3rd line to start? Or if they sign or trade for another centerman.

My hunch would tell me Eller would be the odd man out. I don’t see him moving to the wing for some reason?

Moen-Eller-Bourque could be a pretty good 3rd line so who knows what will happen over the summer I guess?

• BJ says:

Way too early to give up on Eller. If we do come up with another center for next season, move Eller to the wing and use him at center in case of injuries or second man in the faceoff circle. Thats been our problem with younger guys we give up on them too easily. Eller is mature beyond his years. We can’t expect each new young player to be a Guy Lafleur. That happens once every couple of generations.

• New says:

There is no one in this draft to help the Canadiens next year.

• BJ says:

I don’t know where we’ll end up but I would think one of the three Russians could help. And if those guys are not available I spoke to a friend who is team photographer in Leksand and he told me he thought Forsberg would be NHL ready. I don’t know for sure but he’s been playing in a good league with men and he already stands out. When I’ve looked at Nokelainen, Campoli, Kaberle, Geoffrion, Blunden etc. I don’t think its too much of a stretch to think that a few of those guys could not fit in and bring as much or more than the ones mentioned.

• Mike Boone says:

Barring injury, Eller has what it takes to help the team at centre. The only question is whether he’s Top 6 or not. I think he’s third line at this stage of his career.

Mike Boone
      Hockey Inside/Out blogger
      Gazette City columnist
      mboone@montrealgazette.com

53. Habsrule1 says:

No matter how much I’d like the best draft position possible, I can’t help but enjoying seeing the Habs score….and even win. We’ll get the pick we are destined for. The players cannot lie down. This is the Montreal Canadiens and it is not….and should not be in their DNA to not want to win every game….especially in front of their fans.
    The only way to somewhat gurantee losses is to reduce the ice time og the DD line and PK, play the kids a lot more, and maybe put Mayer in nets.

Go Habs Go!!

54. Old Bald Bird says:

A pretty fine “What if …” piece, Boone. You are such a clever writer.

55. LafleurGuy says:

There is a strong deterrent for players to not adopt a “let’s lose one for the Gipper” attitude as illustrated by the career paths of Michael Ryder, Kris Versteeg, Ansemi Niemi and others. The year following their membership on Cup-winning teams saw them playing for other teams. These guys are challenged to prove their worth constantly.

A minor criticism is directed at Habs’ management for not giving young players like Nattinen, Schultz, Avtsin, Dumont, and Berger a couple of games in the bigs, if a brief audition would help “psyche development.” Wouldn’t go this route with young goalies or defencemen because “psyche damage” is a real risk.

“May you live in interesting times.”

56. BJ says:

Re-post. Here is a Brisson story. I was covering a game as a photographer in LA during the 1986-87 season could have been 87-88. In any case after the game I met Pat Brisson outside the Kings dressing room and we chatted in French and spoke about the Hull Olympiques and small talk. I remember asking him what he was doing and he told me he was staying with Luc Robitaille and trying to get his life together. He told me he was washing Luc’s car/cars? and other small tasks on his behalf. He wanted to make it in LA. Quite a change from where he’s at now. So anyone with that kind of vision and courage to make it happen, would be a welcome candidate in Montreal.

57. shiram says:

I don’t see why, it’s not as if Budaj had a back breaking season.

58. Bripro says:

That was the Animals concert. The worst sounding concert I’ve ever been too. The music was bouncing off the walls….all over the place.
    Better thank that was the Dark Side of the Moon (1974-75?) concert at the now-defunct Autostad. The best outdoor concert I’ve ever been to. That is…what I can remember of it.

I thought the played The Division Bell show in Big O in 94. That’s when they played The Dark Side of The Moon in it’s entirety. It was the best show I’ve ever been to. Did they really play Animals in the 90′s?

60. Bripro says:

Sorry, I’m too dated to get my dates straight. The first big O concert was Floyd, but in 78-79(?). That was the Animals concert I was referring to.
    I’ve seen them 3 times in concert, twice in Mtl, once at MSG.
    And I’ve seen Roger Waters twice and David Gilmour once in London and none of them get old.

61. habstrinifan says:

Or maybe do some reading on his his philosophies/methodologies etc…. just saying.

62. HabFab says:

Always liked Ron, as a teenager (me) he talked to you as an adult asking your opinions and explaining his thoughts in great detail. His memory was unreal, once had a conversation with him at the Forum and then not talking to him for over a year and him picking up the conversation as if there had just been a washroom break in between. He once invited my buddy and myself into a meeting he was having with the Canadiens scouting staff to offer our viewpoints and then to explain in his normal great detail what he was looking for in that situation. You should have seen their faces wondering who these kids were :) A great man that I shall never forget.

63. habstrinifan says: